BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-04-23 5:41 PM
in reply to: #2105048

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED
blujay65 - 2009-04-23 10:32 AM Here's a link to an interesting site that my swim coach gave me- http://www.goswim.tv/

They have some great vidoe clips and other info on swim drills, etc.

Coooool.  Will add as a fav.

2009-04-23 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2068936

User image

New user

Just got back from a good work out.  Lifted chest and triceps at the gym.  Drove to the HS where the pool is and ran for about 30 mins until the pool opened, then swam for an hour.  I'm still learning and stop a lot, so I don't think I could really say that I "swam" for an hour....I was in the pool for an hourWink

I was supposed to meet up with a friend for "lessons" at the pool, but she blew me off again.  Kind of frustrating cause I offered to pay her, or find some real lessons being offered some where and she insisted that I work with her.  I talked my bf into going to the pool with me tonight.  He's no expert, but he did a tri last summer.  I really need to work on my breathing.  I'm totally taking my head out of the water and am gasping like crazy.  I guess I'm just going to have to teach myself how to swim with the TI DVD.  I guess that's what most people do anyway...

Planning on running a 5k race this weekend.

2009-04-24 5:05 AM

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
I'm sorry I've been neglecting posting here AND updating my training log

A friend of mine who trains at the club lend me his sons old bike to try out for the weekend It's a Masi frame with shimano ultegra and 105 components ( I did some reserch about all this and it's actually very good). He build it all himself. It's the right size for me and he adjusted it on the trainer. I have to ride it this weekend to see if it's the right fit for me. It's a men's bike (although it's a small) and I have a very short torso so that's why we are not sure that it will fit, I might need a woman's size bike. Anyway if it fits, it would be a great bike for me and I wouldn't pay too much money for it (he needs to sell it to get another bike for his son that grew a lot last year). It's silver with black and white writings. It's not a 'beautiful' bike but it's a good bike (I'm so vain lol)

Swimming has been going ok. I haven't been in the pool as much as I wanted to (only twice in 2 weeks) but I went last night and I'm going back tomorrow morning. I HAVE to make it twice a week to see some improvements.

Running is going good. I have a 5k race on Sunday (it's in my log). Last 5k I ran 34:09. This time my training partner wants to go for 32:00, it's doable I guess. It's going to be in the 80's on Sunday here, I need running shorts lol

Now I need to update my log but first I have to get ready for work!! TGIF!

2009-04-24 6:40 AM

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Happy Friday teammates!!
2009-04-24 6:43 AM
in reply to: #2105115

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
serendipity - 2009-04-23 10:50 AM
Lora109 - 2009-04-23 9:13 AM Here's a link to a really great post about swimming.  It's long but if you're hungry for solid swim advice about some big, common problems, you should soak it up.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=117554&start=1

I just read the whole article (never mind that I'm supposed to be working).  It's really good, and I got some ideas I can try next time I'm in the pool.  I like that he says not to worry about the kick too much.  I'd been thinking I needed to put more effort into kicking, but I tend to forget about it when I'm in the water. 

Oh, good.  I'm glad it helped.  I've got it saved in my Favorites and I go back and read it every so often.
2009-04-24 6:43 AM

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
I have a 30 mile ride planned for later this morning. It's 65* and 90% humidity out right now and will be 87* later. I have some chores to take care of and some work stuff and then I can get out of here.

What's every one else got planned?

2009-04-24 6:44 AM
in reply to: #2106052

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
soccermom15 - 2009-04-23 3:39 PM Just heard from the LBS.  I took my bike over there on my lunch hour.  He is adjusting both derailleurs and replacing the rusted cables.  I told him I didn't want to spend a lot since I'll be looking at getting a new bike this summer anyway (hopefully) and he said this would be the easiest/cheapest way to go.  After my tri I can decide what I want to do.  Even if I end up not buying a bike this year, this one will get me through for a while although he does recommend a complete tune-up if I decide to keep using it.  So I'll get off fairly cheap (about $35) and I can get it back by tonight so I'll have it for my long ride on Sunday. 
Janet

Oh, that is great news!  Happy riding!!!!
2009-04-24 6:47 AM
in reply to: #2106247

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
myoun - 2009-04-23 4:47 PM
***Maybe you should give your swimsuit/bike short combo a try out on the bike before the race to see if you get any chafing? ****

OK, I did my trial run this afternoon.  Biked 2 mi to the Y, swam the race distance (375), biked 3 miles home in wet swimsuit and bike shorts.  No chafing, it seemed OK.  Not comfortable (who wants to ride in a wet swimsuit?), but absolutely fine.  Funny thing was I didn't feel like I was pushing the swim at all, and I think I swam a PB of 10:30.  I know not fast for strong swimmers, but much faster than the 12 min I was expecting!

Thanks for all the encouragement, and look for my race report this Sunday!
Mary Sue

Woo hoo!  Glad you did a run-through and congrats on that possible PR!
2009-04-24 6:55 AM
in reply to: #2106919

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
maggiewvu - 2009-04-23 9:42 PM

Just got back from a good work out.  Lifted chest and triceps at the gym.  Drove to the HS where the pool is and ran for about 30 mins until the pool opened, then swam for an hour.  I'm still learning and stop a lot, so I don't think I could really say that I "swam" for an hour....I was in the pool for an hourWink

I was supposed to meet up with a friend for "lessons" at the pool, but she blew me off again.  Kind of frustrating cause I offered to pay her, or find some real lessons being offered some where and she insisted that I work with her.  I talked my bf into going to the pool with me tonight.  He's no expert, but he did a tri last summer.  I really need to work on my breathing.  I'm totally taking my head out of the water and am gasping like crazy.  I guess I'm just going to have to teach myself how to swim with the TI DVD.  I guess that's what most people do anyway...

Planning on running a 5k race this weekend.

Maggie, what are we going to do with that friend of yours?    TI's great for learning how to breathe.  They've got a nice section at the end that helps with it.  Plus, he also teaches it in the beginning, too.  The great thing about swimming in a tri is that if you're having trouble breathing, you can always roll on your back and kick for a few seconds and then start-up again.
2009-04-24 7:08 AM
in reply to: #2107222

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
mekira - 2009-04-24 6:05 AM I'm sorry I've been neglecting posting here AND updating my training log A friend of mine who trains at the club lend me his sons old bike to try out for the weekend It's a Masi frame with shimano ultegra and 105 components ( I did some reserch about all this and it's actually very good). He build it all himself. It's the right size for me and he adjusted it on the trainer. I have to ride it this weekend to see if it's the right fit for me. It's a men's bike (although it's a small) and I have a very short torso so that's why we are not sure that it will fit, I might need a woman's size bike. Anyway if it fits, it would be a great bike for me and I wouldn't pay too much money for it (he needs to sell it to get another bike for his son that grew a lot last year). It's silver with black and white writings. It's not a 'beautiful' bike but it's a good bike (I'm so vain lol) Swimming has been going ok. I haven't been in the pool as much as I wanted to (only twice in 2 weeks) but I went last night and I'm going back tomorrow morning. I HAVE to make it twice a week to see some improvements. Running is going good. I have a 5k race on Sunday (it's in my log). Last 5k I ran 34:09. This time my training partner wants to go for 32:00, it's doable I guess. It's going to be in the 80's on Sunday here, I need running shorts lol Now I need to update my log but first I have to get ready for work!! TGIF!

Ooo.  Heck yeah 105 components are good!  Wow, I really hope it ends-up fitting you!  Definitely let's read about you being in the pool at least twice a week.  You really will be amazed at the difference that can make.  Here's to hoping you set a PR this weekend!
2009-04-24 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Who's racing this weekend?  Here's what I've got right now:

Maggie/MaggieWVU:  5K on Saturday

Patricia/Mekira: 5K on Sunday

Mary Sue/Myoun: Swim and bike relay in a tri on Sunday

Kami/Freeflykami: Swim meet on ?

Am I missing anyone?

Edited by Lora109 2009-04-24 8:14 AM

2009-04-24 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2107282

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
blujay65 - 2009-04-24 7:43 AM I have a 30 mile ride planned for later this morning. It's 65* and 90% humidity out right now and will be 87* later. I have some chores to take care of and some work stuff and then I can get out of here.

What's every one else got planned?

Doing a ride this morning myself!  Hope you can make it out before the temps heat us.  Wow.  Isn't it nice to be able to say that now? 
2009-04-24 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2107320

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY
Lora109 - 2009-04-24 8:14 AM Who's racing this weekend?  Here's what I've got right now:

Am I missing anyone?

Not me!

I'm teaching two yoga classes in the morning, then I have a date with a paint roller.  We are painting our bedroom.  I know everyone racing is so jealous they don't get to stay home and paint, right?

I'm looking forward to reading all your race reports!
2009-04-24 8:45 AM

User image

Regular
West Fargo
I don't have a race this weekend, but for my half mary training I'm scheduled to run 9 miles. I've never run this far, so I'm a bit nervous. Also, yesterday was my rest day. I noticed that my left knee is starting to get achy. All underneath it and along the outside edge. I don't know if it's just inflamed from all the running and my robust size....or if I hyper extended it and didn't notice. I iced it a bit last night. Woke up this morning and it thought it felt better. but once I started moving around a bit it ached again. It doesn't 'hurt', and there are no sharp pains. I'm fine going up and down the stairs in my house. It just aches. So, anyone have advice? Today I'm supposed to cross train for 60 minutes. I was hoping to jump into a pool for 30 minutes (it's all that's open) then bike for the rest. Tomorrow is the 9 miles, so I was thinking to just run and see how it feels. If it starts to get sharp pains to quit, but if it's just achy....try to stick it out. With the HM in just 2 weeks, I just don't want to injure myself to the point of not getting to participate! I'd be soooo bummed! Any thoughts?

Good luck to all who's racing this weekend! I can't wait to hear how it goes!
2009-04-24 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2107320

User image

Expert
Missouri

Lora109 - 2009-04-24 7:14 AM Who's racing this weekend?  Here's what I've got right now:

Am I missing anyone?

Me (raising hand and waving wildlyLaughing)!  I've got a 10k Saturday morning.  Hoping to set a new PR.  Looks like the weather is going to be a little warmer than I like - about 70* at race start.  I hope that doesn't affect me too much. 

I got in a nice swim this morning.  I was kind of surprised to get to the pool and see it was empty.  There are usually 2-3 other people there when I go in the morning.  So I had my own pool and my own private lifeguard (for about 15 mins anyway) this morning.  Water was chilly though!  When I started swimming in December it was a struggle to get to 300m, now I don't even really feel warmed up until I get to about 250m.  I may still be slow but at least I'm making some improvements!

Hope everyone has a great Friday!
Janet

2009-04-24 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2107578

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
soccermom15 - 2009-04-24 9:59 AM

Lora109 - 2009-04-24 7:14 AM Who's racing this weekend?  Here's what I've got right now:

Am I missing anyone?

Me (raising hand and waving wildlyLaughing)!  I've got a 10k Saturday morning.  Hoping to set a new PR.  Looks like the weather is going to be a little warmer than I like - about 70* at race start.  I hope that doesn't affect me too much. 

I got in a nice swim this morning.  I was kind of surprised to get to the pool and see it was empty.  There are usually 2-3 other people there when I go in the morning.  So I had my own pool and my own private lifeguard (for about 15 mins anyway) this morning.  Water was chilly though!  When I started swimming in December it was a struggle to get to 300m, now I don't even really feel warmed up until I get to about 250m.  I may still be slow but at least I'm making some improvements!

Hope everyone has a great Friday!
Janet

OK, I've got you marked down.  Here's hoping you can PR!  That's great that at 250 you feel like you're just getting warmed up.  I love progress!

2009-04-24 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2107530

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
sleeping_butterflies - 2009-04-24 9:45 AM I don't have a race this weekend, but for my half mary training I'm scheduled to run 9 miles. I've never run this far, so I'm a bit nervous. Also, yesterday was my rest day. I noticed that my left knee is starting to get achy. All underneath it and along the outside edge. I don't know if it's just inflamed from all the running and my robust size....or if I hyper extended it and didn't notice. I iced it a bit last night. Woke up this morning and it thought it felt better. but once I started moving around a bit it ached again. It doesn't 'hurt', and there are no sharp pains. I'm fine going up and down the stairs in my house. It just aches. So, anyone have advice? Today I'm supposed to cross train for 60 minutes. I was hoping to jump into a pool for 30 minutes (it's all that's open) then bike for the rest. Tomorrow is the 9 miles, so I was thinking to just run and see how it feels. If it starts to get sharp pains to quit, but if it's just achy....try to stick it out. With the HM in just 2 weeks, I just don't want to injure myself to the point of not getting to participate! I'd be soooo bummed! Any thoughts? Good luck to all who's racing this weekend! I can't wait to hear how it goes!

I think you've got a good plan, Shannon.  Swim and bike today and then see how it feels on the run tomorrow.
2009-04-24 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
Yep! I've got the 100 free sat. morning, and then 50 free, 50 fly and 100 IM on sunday, I am even hoping to get on a relay team.

I am hoping for some PBs but dont think that I will be placing for the first time this season :0( looks like the Fast ladies will be showing up for this meet... But then it is a regional championship...

They had Dara Torres' times on the pshyc sheets, I just about fliped thinking that she would show up! But it was just for her AWSOME records! (Her 100 free is 46.34, mine is 1:06.33)

GOOD LUCK to everyone that is racing this weekend, there are a lot of us!
2009-04-24 2:37 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Good luck with your races and training, ladies!
2009-04-24 4:40 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
OK.  So, here's who we've got racing this weekend:

SATURDAY
Maggie
/MaggieWVU:  5K
Janet/soccermom15:  10K
Kami/Freeflykami:      Swim meet

SUNDAY
Patricia/Mekira:         5K
Mary Sue/Myoun:      Swim and bike relay in a tri

Good luck, everyone!  Looking forward to reading some race reports (RR).  (Let me know if you have any questions filling them out, by the way.)
2009-04-24 5:00 PM
in reply to: #2095119

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts

Hey Maggie,

I am just reading your post now. Don't worry about being slow, you will get faster, it just takes some time.  Also, don't let anyone discourage you; what you are doing is for you, not anyone else.  Weight Watchers really helped me out, I lost 50lbs with them. I still have 20 to go but have plateaued.  I am trying to push through it, and it's been hard. 

I too was a treadmill runner over the winter.  Transitioning to outside was tough and I saw my pace get slower too.  I purchased a Nike+iPod.  I don't know if you have an iPod already, but the Nike+ is a great, inexpensive gadget, that velcro's onto you sneaker, the receiver attaches to your iPod and it records your distance and your pace.  You can even choose a distance or the amount of time you want to run.  It keeps track of everything for you, and for $29.00 it has been well worth it.  It even gives you your calorie burn per workout. You can even keep track on their website. 

Keep up the good work and don't give up!

Stacy

2009-04-24 5:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
GOOD LUCK GUYS!

LadyNorth
2009-04-24 5:10 PM
in reply to: #2093969

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts

Jen,

I read you race report. Congratulations on Second place.  That is excellent!  You Rock Girl!

Edited by sahebb 2009-04-24 5:10 PM
2009-04-24 5:18 PM
in reply to: #2097309

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts

Janet,

Congrats on your 5k.  Good job!

2009-04-24 7:18 PM
in reply to: #2103898

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts
Subject: RE: Counting laps

This would be good for counting Weight Watcher points too.  I am glad I am not the only one who loses count while doing laps.  If my husband is with me I make him count.  How boreing for him.lol

Good luck to all racers this weekend.  You will all do great!

Edited by sahebb 2009-04-24 7:43 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36