BT Development Mentor Program Archives » konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-07-01 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2255256

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: RE: konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL

We'll be in town.  Right now the wknd looks something like...

Fri - HIM race rehearsal (So 56mi bike with 45min brick run.)  Prob go to a friend's house afterwards for a cookout/bbq.

Sat - 2h30m ride and then a second cookout/bbq

Sun - 14mi run and a swim.

Somewhere amongst all that we'll be stuffing our wedding invitations too!

Here are my June numbers.

June's totals:
Bike:25h 07m 48s  - 456.43 Mi
Run:16h 59m 45s  - 126.07 Mi
Swim:5h 33m 18s  - 21050 M

July's numbers will certainly be lower as we taper into Musselman HIM on July 19 and recover afterwards.

Edited by konichiwa 2009-07-01 11:33 AM

2009-07-01 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2151526

My plans include going to the park with my wife and daughter on Friday (8 yr anniversary).  Fireworks that night.  Saturday possibly going to race site and getting registared, followed by resting for the complete annihilation of the competion on Sunday.  My goal is to finish the sprint duathlon before some of the Oly triathletes finish their race.  Check local listings but I really lucked out on the weather.  From 90 degrees last week to around 80 on race day.  This fat boy really got lucky.   
2009-07-01 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2255926

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
June's totals:
Bike:2h 15m  - 36 Mi
Run:10h 14m  - 60.42 Mi
Swim:5h 15m  - 2000 Yd

My June swim distance is inaccurate but the time is accurate.  I am hoping I get my bike back from the shop before the weekend.  I attempted to bribe the bike tech's in order to expedite the tune-up. 

My biking numbers should go up next week now that I will actually have a functioning bike for most of the month (assuming I don't come down with swine flu).

Keri,  you should be able to workout with your 25 girlfriends on your cruise.
The treadmill may be a great treatment for hangovers!

:-)
2009-07-01 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2256106

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

fontaic - 2009-07-01 1:19 PM

Cruise!!!! I missed that.  Where you going Keri?  How long?  Which cruise line?

2009-07-01 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2256732

User image

Pro
Houston
konichiwa - 2009-07-01 3:45 PM

fontaic - 2009-07-01 1:19 PM

Cruise!!!! I missed that.  Where you going Keri?  How long?  Which cruise line?

I am flying from Houston to Florida where we all meet up and spend one night then we get on the Carnival boat Friday morning sailing to The Bahamas.  The plans are drinking, debochery (sp?) mixed with karyoke, a stripper pole and some time in the sun.  A few of us have vowed to work out but we'll see how that pans out Wink  We come back the following Monday.

This will be my first time away without any kids in almost 9 years.

This is my first cruise.  Anybody been on one?  Words of advice?  I am a bit worried about motion sickness, suggestions???

2009-07-01 3:56 PM
in reply to: #2256106

User image

Pro
Houston
fontaic - 2009-07-01 12:19 PM
June's totals:
Bike:2h 15m  - 36 Mi
Run:10h 14m  - 60.42 Mi
Swim:5h 15m  - 2000 Yd

My June swim distance is inaccurate but the time is accurate. 

Me too.  My swim distance is not accurate because sometimes I don't count meters/laps and just put in time.

2009-07-02 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2256765

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Have fun on your trip Keri!  I have always wanted to go on a cruise, maybe some day soon now that my kids are getting older.  Only one left in high school (hurray!).  Unfortunately, this year I'm saving my vacation days for my wifes double knee replacement surgery which will probably happen in the next two months.  After her surgery, she wants to do a duathlon relay with me where she does the swim segment.

Hey mentor tim, queen k (kristen) sent me an inspire.  She noticed that I am competing in the Belmar tri next month.  She said she went to high school with you.  Small world, hey? I am hoping to meet Kristen and her husband Brad in Belmar (they are also competing).   Are all of your high school buds jocks?  Are you and Laura going to run in a tri on your honeymoon? 

Does anyone have a good link that describes transitions and how to fasten your shoes to the bike with rubber bands?  I really don't want to run with those metal cleats either before getting on the bike or after getting off...

Did Keri say something about a stripper pole?  Do you think she can send us some video?

--Charlie1

Happy 4th of July everyone
2009-07-02 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2256759

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

This is my first cruise.  Anybody been on one?  Words of advice?  I am a bit worried about motion sickness, suggestions???

I've been on three...all Caribbean and all with Royal Caribbean.  Twice with my family and once with laura and some friends.  I never had any issues with motion sickness...its a big ship and the waters are generally quite calm.  You can get dramamine or a motion sickness patch if you are nervous about it.

http://cruisediva.com/seasick.htm

Everything is paid via a "folio" card...basically your own charge card for the ship.  Drinks can add up quick so keep an eye out.  If they offer a alcoholic drink card, take advantage of it.  They didn't have it on my last cruise but it was available on previous ones.  Basically it allowed you to buy 10 drinks up front at the cost of beer and then you could redeem for any drink.  Not sure about Carnival though plus I think a lot of cruise liners are looking to get the extra $$$ out of you since vacation travel is down given the economy.  RC allowed you to buy an unlimited soda pkg since its not included.  If you are a coke/diet coke drinker, this is a great deal.

Besides that, they are a TON of fun.  You are sure to enjoy it.

You can talk to laura about the stripper pole...she did a glass for a bachelorette party...she said it wasn't easy...had some bruises to show for it too.

2009-07-02 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2257709

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

fontaic - 2009-07-02 9:01 AM

Hey mentor tim, queen k (kristen) sent me an inspire.  She noticed that I am competing in the Belmar tri next month.  She said she went to high school with you.  Small world, hey? I am hoping to meet Kristen and her husband Brad in Belmar (they are also competing).   Are all of your high school buds jocks?  Are you and Laura going to run in a tri on your honeymoon? 

Does anyone have a good link that describes transitions and how to fasten your shoes to the bike with rubber bands?  I really don't want to run with those metal cleats either before getting on the bike or after getting off...

--Charlie1

Happy 4th of July everyone

ya brad and kristin are the ones that got me into tris and they are our best buds.  We did that wknd trip with the in Gettysburg, that recent ride in Frederick, MD and most recently the Philly Tri together.  You should definitely say HI to them at the race.

As far as shoes on the bike in transition, I use Sidi tri shoes that have a loop on the back and this makes it easy.  Most tri-specific shoes have the loop whereas most road shoes do not.  I do the following;

- I put the drive side crank arm forward.  I break the rubberband and loop it through the loop on the shoe and then through one of the spider arms of the crank.  Tie of the rubberband and you are done.

- On the non-drive side the crank arm will be back, parallel to the chain stay.  I loop the complete rubberhand through the shoes and then loop the rubberband through itself.  I then attach this to the rear quick release skewer. 

- My shoes stay in place until I am on them.  I mount the bike with my feet on my shoes and then I get up to speed.  Then about three or four revolutions later both rubberbands are broken.  Next I'll bring my R foot to 12 o'clock and get it in the shoe.  Repeat with the L foot.  Just be sure to use small thin ones.

I use SpeedPlays, which has a large cleat on the bottom that can quickly accumulate dirt and then makes clipping in very difficult.  Laura uses LOOKs and she runs with her shoes on out of T1 but then she'll go barefoot off the bike into T2.

If you have road shoes you'll need to find a way to fasten them to the bike since you probably won't have the loops on the shoes.

besides that, make sure you practice.  getting into the shoes while moving can be tricky.  not all shoes open really wide to make getting your foot in easy.  This is laura's biggest challenge with your Specialized Trivent shoes.  Getting out of the shoes late on the bike so you can run barefoot into T2 is much easier.

Hope this helps.  If you want I can setup my shoes/bike and take pics.  Just let me know.

2009-07-04 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2257942

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Thanks for the info,  I'll try to figure out what you described.  I do have tri cycling shoes with the loop, so I should be OK.  My bike shop bribe worked and I retrieved my "demon exorcised" bike on Friday afternoon.  It no longer shifts all by itself or levitates off of the ground.  I also had them put on a cheap bike computer ($29) so I could see how, far & fast I am riding.

I took it for a ride Friday early evening.  I wanted to see how far I could get in 1 hour and made it 16.66 miles (yikes, 666 is kinda weird, maybe not totally exorcised after all!).  I took a 10 minute break to rest and drink some water.  It was at this point I decided to check my blackberry for emails.  No blackberry was to be found in the little walmart bag I fastened to my top bar and handlebar post!  It was at this point that I recalled hearing a metallic sound and feeling something bump my ankle about 8 miles back.  I remember thinking that was strange, I must have kicked up a can or something from the road.

I started back and decided to remove my sunglasses so I could find my blackberry.  It was at this point that I broke the left arm off of my sunglasses.  It took me a little longer to ride the 17 miles back because I was tired and I spent most of it in the upright position looking for my sunglasses.  No luck, so I suppose I will have to tell my boss the bad news.  I couldn't stand that blackberry anyway, the touch screen totally sucks or sucked ...

Saturday morning I attended an open water swim clinic in the Ocean at BayHead NJ.  It was another fantastic learning experience even though I was pretty wiped out from yesterday.  My left calf kept cramping but I survived and did quite a bit of swimming in my wetsuit.

Now I'm off for a barbeque,  have a great holiday folks!!!!

-- Charlie1
2009-07-05 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2261572

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

fontaic - 2009-07-04 1:09 PM

No blackberry was to be found

Must've been a bad day for blackberrys as we were out in downtown Philadelphia for a free cheryl crow concert and the fireworks and a friend of my sister lost her blackberry into the sewer!  you could see it lit up in the water when someone called or txt'd.

nice job with the ride and i'm jealous that you got an ow swim in.

2009-07-06 8:36 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

Charlie 1 - Sorry to hear about your crackberry   I keep my cell phone in my bento box when I ride alone and could totally see that happening.

Sounds like your OWS went well.  Clinics are always great and practicing in your wetsuit will serve you well.  But what do I know I've never worn a wetsuit - of course I live just south of Hades so we don't need them much down here while we are swimming in bathwater temperatures.

I meet for OWS on Sunday mornings with a great group of triathletes.  Yesterday there were 15-20, a lot of BTers and just a great group of folks.  We don't have many OWS options down here and this lake has some buoys and small docks for markers so it really helps.  My next race is OW so I really need the practice.  Though I am concerned because the next one is 500m and I have yet to swim that in OW.  The race isn't until August 9 so I have some time.

Got the suitcase out - the packing has begun.

2009-07-06 8:50 AM

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
I'M BACK!  Took a couple week sabbatical, and enjoying getting back into training.

Charlie1, I got tied up in the rubberband thing early on.  I would just focus on a smooth transition for now.  take your time and just get your shoes on, then take time clipping in.  For Tim, and other guys looking to shave seconds, it makes a difference, but for beginners, I think it just complicates things a little much (it did for me).  Looking back, a successful T1 was a good jog to my bike (remembering where it was!), getting my wetsuit off relatively easily, and not forgetting anything as I jogged out to clip in.
2009-07-06 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2263224

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
Tim,

Impressive race report!  you had to be pumped for a PR.  definitely envious of those results.  I gotta work on my bike cadence (do you have a power meter or use a garmin?)

You have to be happy about a 10th place in a very competitive AG.

Charlie2
2009-07-06 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2264037

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
Laura rocked it too!  12/142 is damn good.   please school tim on T1      ...not sure how 1:48 is a disaster!!    love to swim like you guys.

was it a PR for you too?
2009-07-06 11:12 AM

I am working on a RR for my last tri.  Overall not happy with performance, both runns were slow and had malfunction on bike ( 1 minute downtime)  I still got 2nd in my group for duathlon.  I will try an get RR up later after my final tonight.

Tim

2009-07-06 11:23 AM
in reply to: #2264074

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
It takes me forever to get my shoes clipped in and when I do it I am usually on the bike leaning against my garage.  I am assuming if I already clip the shoes in and fasten with rubber bands it should be easy to slip my feet into them? 

I'm not really concerned with time.  I'm more concerned with looking like a fool trying to get my shoes clipped in at T1!

--Charlie1
2009-07-06 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2264105

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

URGuilty - 2009-07-06 9:59 AM Tim,

Impressive race report!  you had to be pumped for a PR.  definitely envious of those results.  I gotta work on my bike cadence (do you have a power meter or use a garmin?)

You have to be happy about a 10th place in a very competitive AG.

Charlie2

Thanks!  Was definitely very happy to go sub 2:15 for an oly.  Next up is an attempt to go sub-5 at Musselman Half in two weeks.

Actually I have a PowerTap and Garmin.  I use PT computer on my tri bike and I use the Garmin 705 on my road bike.  I switch the rear wheel (powermeter) to which bike I am riding.  I don't have the cadence sensor but it still uses some algorithm to calculate cadence.  I dn't think its as accurate as the sensor, but good enough.  There are a number of inexpensive bike computer that provide cadence.

CatEye - The Astrale 8 is a cheap wired computer that I used for years.  Very dependable.  Has cadence.

I have a CatEye Double Wireless and a VDO double wireless just sitting around.  Anyone can PM me if they are interested.  I'll sell them cheap.  

Any idea what kind of cadence you typically run?  If you are anywhere b/t 80 and 100 you should be fine.

-Tim

2009-07-06 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2264607

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

mrtimbro - 2009-07-06 12:12 PM I am working on a RR for my last tri.  Overall not happy with performance, both runns were slow and had malfunction on bike ( 1 minute downtime)  I still got 2nd in my group for duathlon.  I will try an get RR up later after my final tonight.

Tim

Congrats on collection some hardware in your AG.  Looking fwd to reading your RR.

2009-07-06 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2264635

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

fontaic - 2009-07-06 12:23 PM It takes me forever to get my shoes clipped in and when I do it I am usually on the bike leaning against my garage.  I am assuming if I already clip the shoes in and fasten with rubber bands it should be easy to slip my feet into them? 

I'm not really concerned with time.  I'm more concerned with looking like a fool trying to get my shoes clipped in at T1!

--Charlie1

It shouldn't be too hard, but it can depend on the shoe.  Its easy for me and my size 11.5s in my Sidi, but Laura with much smaller feet but with Specialized Trivents has a much harder time.

2009-07-07 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2265550

User image

Veteran

konichiwa - 2009-07-06 4:54 PM

fontaic - 2009-07-06 12:23 PM It takes me forever to get my shoes clipped in and when I do it I am usually on the bike leaning against my garage.  I am assuming if I already clip the shoes in and fasten with rubber bands it should be easy to slip my feet into them? 

--Charlie1

It shouldn't be too hard, but it can depend on the shoe.  Its easy for me and my size 11.5s in my Sidi, but Laura with much smaller feet but with Specialized Trivents has a much harder time.

UGH, I totally cannot get my feet into my shoes when they are clipped in. I practiced a bunch before the Philly tri, but I just couldn't get my feet in to the shoe without struggling and taking up too much time. So, I resigned to putting my shoes on in T1 and running in them up to the mount line. Yes, it does cost me a few seconds in T1, but I think I would lose much more time trying to get my feet in my shoes while riding. I'd rather play it safe than sorry. Plus, I've had a few instances in races where people are trying to get their feet into their shoes at the mount line and its caused a traffic jam. In my opinion, I wouldn't want to cause other racers to slow down because I haven't properly learned how to execute.

2009-07-07 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2265392

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
I really don't know what my bike cadence is while riding.  it's hilly so do you compensate for that?  I do know that on the trainer I am about 85.  just not comfy going faster.  guess I'll try a few spin up exercises.
2009-07-07 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2266945

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

URGuilty - 2009-07-07 9:50 AM I really don't know what my bike cadence is while riding.  it's hilly so do you compensate for that?  I do know that on the trainer I am about 85.  just not comfy going faster.  guess I'll try a few spin up exercises.

I typically switch gears to keep my cadence at what feels comfortable for me...that typically is high 80s to low 90s.  If the road gets really steep and I run out of gears sometimes I am mashing it out at a much lower cadence....70s, 60s, 50s.  It hurts.

85 is a fine cadence.  I don't think you really need to change it.  I've actually read some stuff from Brett Sutton (Chrissie Wellington's old coach) where he suggests the longer the ride the lower the cadence you should have.  Ironman distance you are looking at low 80s whereas a sprint or oly may be in the 90s.  The idea being a lower cadence will allows you to keep a lower HR and in a longer race a lower HR on the bike may help you save something for the bike.  Anyways, I wouldn't necessarily seek to change your cadence...85 is well within the normal range and if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

I do do some spin-up and one-legged drills.  Most often its on the trainer in the winter.  The spin-up type drills I like use during a warm-up on the trainer.  Gets the blood flowing, heart rate up and helps smooth out the pedaling a bit.  I really like the one-legged drills to work on pedaling form.  Nothing crazy...something like 6-10 minutes where you alternate legs every 30s to 1min.  keep the resistance low and try to spin smooth circles with the one leg.  I typically do them at the end of a trainer workout. 

2009-07-08 1:05 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
I am leaving for my cruise tomorrow but have a LOT to accomplish today so I'll be signing off of BT this afternoon until Tuesday.

Everyone - have a GREAT weekend and post, post, post.  Our little group is WAY too quiet!!!
2009-07-09 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2265392

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
konichiwa - 2009-07-06 3:47 PM

I have a CatEye Double Wireless and a VDO double wireless just sitting around.  Anyone can PM me if they are interested.  I'll sell them cheap.  

Duohhh! I wish I knew, I wouldn't of spent $30 bucks on my bike computer with no cadence!

--Charlie1
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL Rss Feed  

of 19