Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2010-01-14 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2613482

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Ken D's Group - Shut
KenD - 2010-01-14 8:58 AM Let's talk about clothes.

What have you found for biking, running, swimming & tri-ing?

I am pretty simple when it comes to clothes.  I have a few pairs of pants I wear when I run right now.  The treadmill is in the basement and we never put forced air in when we finished it.  Gets kinda chilly!  Pants and the drifit type of shirt.  Not doing much biking right now but a pair of tri shorts (never knew they were tri shorts til the night before my tri.  I have had them for 10 years and always thought they were bike shorts!!) and leggings over.  Shirt and jacket.  Skip the jacket and leggings when it is warmer.  I wear the same shirts for running and biking.  Swim...just a plain racing tank suit from LL Bean.

Tri-ing...only did one so far but I borrowed a wesuit and wore my sports bra and tri shorts underneath.  Had a tri shirt but ended up just tossing on a regular shirt I run/bike in transition.  Looking back, should have just warn the sports bar and tri shirt under the wetsuit.

2010-01-14 9:03 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

Biking - I love Performance Bicycle Shop for my bike clothes.  Good prices and good clothes.  My favorite pair of shorts is Performance Century - $35 (on sale), comfortable, and the fabric/elastic are holding up well.Good value at $35 (on sale), comfortable, and the fabric/elastic are holding up well.

Running - I cycle thru 3 different pair of shorts.  2 Nikes & 1 Brooks.  The Brooks are more comfortable.  Balega socks rock!  I've got 2 pairs and they are so worth the extra money.

I have a pair of Target running tights that I wear both biking and running when needed.

Swimming - Dolfin 100% polyester jammers from Kiefer swim shop.  These are >2 yrs old and the seams are now getting discolored.  
2010-01-14 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2556282

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Awesome on the inspires!

I remember the first time someone "inspired" me.  I didn't realize they could do that.  I saw these numbers on my training calender and figured out someone was looking at my workouts.  It helps me.  If I put something in my goals for everyone to see, then I HAVE to do it.

I like to do the "random inspire" every once in a while just to spread some positive thoughts.
2010-01-14 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Swimming - got two pair of regular baggy swim trunks (the $10 kind you go to the pool or beach with).  i figure the extra drag in practice will help me later during a race

Bike - got 2 cheap bike shorts on sale 3 years ago and are so worn out that I wear them on top of each other for extra padding (and so you can't see through them!)!  that is my next purchase.  got 2 bike jerseys from 2 local bike clubs i am in.

run - 3 pair target brand running shorts.  several random brands of fast dry running tops (sleeveless for summer).  for winter i have several warm upper and lower body tights.

tri - 2yr old Tyr tri top (seen in my user pic) and De Soto tri shorts (these will hopefully be upgraded this year as well)

Edited by chichitao 2010-01-14 9:27 AM
2010-01-14 5:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
KenD - 2010-01-14 6:58 AM Let's talk about clothes.

I was lucky enough to go to a warehouse sale at Sugoi, it was on for 2 days and I hit it on the first day and got a lot of their brand champion gear, bike shorts, tri shorts, sports bra's, biking jerseys, jackets and tri suits were going 75% off and by day 2, they were selling tri shorts for $5 a piece and if you bought 2 of them you got a cycling jersey for free.  My husband is also a Sugoi brand champion, so when there isn't a warehouse sale, we still get 40% off all gear, which is great because I do like their stuff, it's comfortable and durable, I still wear a pair of cycling short I got about 10 years ago.

• Swimming: I wear a pair of nylon shorts and a swim top.
  • Running: with the weather as it is right now is done in leggings, sports bra, tank and a bright yellow water/windproof jacket, wicking socks and a pair of nike running shoes that will need replacing soon.
  • Biking: whatever I am running in usually except for the bontrager shoes which wouldn't be comfortable to run in. On occasion I will wear biking shorts on longer rides on occassion, but sometimes find them more uncomfortable than going without.  The tri shorts, I find almost pointless. 
  • Tri:  haven't done one yet, and haven't decided yet as to what I will be wearing.  My first Tri is a pool swim, so no wetsuit.
2010-01-14 6:14 PM
in reply to: #2614756

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Sandra,

I have been looking at lot at the Sugoi stuff lately and liked that Brand Champion stuff.  I like any tri outfit that looks different from the generic stuff I am wearing now.  My wife ends up taking pictures of half the participants b/c from a distance she thinks it is me.  What exactly did you have to do to be one, and is it worth it?  And that is one awesome sale!  Wish I could get in on something like that.  I live in a very triathlon and athletic town, but the choices of tri gear is still super limited.  And I don't like buying clothing on line due to the fit issue. 

corstan - 2010-01-14 5:43 PM

I was lucky enough to go to a warehouse sale at Sugoi, it was on for 2 days and I hit it on the first day and got a lot of their brand champion gear, bike shorts, tri shorts, sports bra's, biking jerseys, jackets and tri suits were going 75% off and by day 2, they were selling tri shorts for $5 a piece and if you bought 2 of them you got a cycling jersey for free.  My husband is also a Sugoi brand champion, so when there isn't a warehouse sale, we still get 40% off all gear, which is great because I do like their stuff, it's comfortable and durable, I still wear a pair of cycling short I got about 10 years ago.

• Running: with the weather as it is right now is done in leggings, sports bra, tank and a bright yellow water/windproof jacket, wicking socks and a pair of nike running shoes that will need replacing soon.
  • Biking: whatever I am running in usually except for the bontrager shoes which wouldn't be comfortable to run in. On occasion I will wear biking shorts on longer rides on occassion, but sometimes find them more uncomfortable than going without.  The tri shorts, I find almost pointless. 
  • Tri:  haven't done one yet, and haven't decided yet as to what I will be wearing.  My first Tri is a pool swim, so no wetsuit.

2010-01-15 7:33 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Happy Friday everyone!

What are your plans for the weekend?
2010-01-15 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2615335

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
KenD - 2010-01-15 7:33 AM Happy Friday everyone!

Mine -
Saturday - run
Sunday - club swim and the bike ride followed by Cowboys game

All subject to change.  Based on the weather, we may go camping this weekend instead. 
2010-01-15 7:51 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
KenD - 2010-01-15 7:33 AM Happy Friday everyone!

Tonight...some kind of workout.  Not sure yet.
Tomorrow...have an appointment about orthotics!!  Running in the evening.
Sunday...again something but not sure what.  Maybe running again.  Depends on how my feet are.  Also hubby is working all weekend so depends on what time he is home.
2010-01-15 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2614797

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
There is a simple application on their site http://www.sugoi.com/usa/eng/brand-champions-application, say wonderful things about yourself, dedication to training, inspiring others, etc..all things that I think are true about you from my experience with youLaughing and wait for a response.  When you get accepted you get a 40% discount off all their gear online and the ability to purchase their brand champion gear, which is not available to the general populace.  You can purchase gear for friends and family with the same discounts as well.  

I like you have worries about sizing purchasing items online, but everything so far aside from one item(which was my fault for not doing a measurement), I have ordered from them online has fit perfectly using their sizing charts. 

chichitao - 2010-01-14 4:14 PM Sandra,

I have been looking at lot at the Sugoi stuff lately and liked that Brand Champion stuff.  I like any tri outfit that looks different from the generic stuff I am wearing now.  My wife ends up taking pictures of half the participants b/c from a distance she thinks it is me.  What exactly did you have to do to be one, and is it worth it?  And that is one awesome sale!  Wish I could get in on something like that.  I live in a very triathlon and athletic town, but the choices of tri gear is still super limited.  And I don't like buying clothing on line due to the fit issue. 

corstan - 2010-01-14 5:43 PM

2010-01-15 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2610489

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
KenD - 2010-01-12 3:42 PM Are y'all ready for an assignment?  Yes?  Good.

Between now and Friday, inspire at least 3 seperate people. 

You don't have to know them to inspire them.  Just look at their log and comment on it.  Hopefully in an encouraging manner.

this was a good experience, spent some time reading other peoples logs outside of our group, there are a lot of amazing people out there.

2010-01-15 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
KenD - 2010-01-15 5:33 AM Happy Friday everyone!

Happy Friday to you too!

Tonight, run, bike maybe a swim
Saturday, bootcamp in the morning, have a bike maintanence workshop in the afternoon and then a bike/run after that
Sunday, 1/2 Mary clinic in the morning, bike in the afternoon, swim lesson in the evening.
2010-01-15 8:02 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Thanks Sandra, I'll check into it. 

Everyone's got a lot planned this weekend.  I was supposed to run today but didn't sleep well last night and was totally blah today.  Throw on that it is cold and has not stopped raining all day (not complaining, we can always use rain).  Gonna do my 2nd spin class tomorrow and then like Ken will be watching the Cowboy game on Sun.  Plan to get in an easy run sometime after the game. 
2010-01-16 1:31 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Went and had my feet molded for orthotics this morning.  I am super excited and hope they really help me.  My husband knows the guy through their college rugby alumni group so I had already talked to him about my feet.  After he took the impressions he kinda laughed.  He said people always call him and tell him whatever is wrong with them will be the worst he has ever seen.  He never believes it because it is never true.  I did not tell him my feet would be the worst he has seen.  I just told him they were really really flat.  He told me they are the worst feet he has ever seen!!!  Kinda makes me feel better about having a hard time upping my mileage.  I have such a hard time recovering after anything over 5 miles.  I just hope they help!
2010-01-16 1:39 PM

Meggan,

I am anxious to hear if your orthotics help. I think I could benefit from some too.
2010-01-16 1:57 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
When will the orthotics be ready?

2010-01-16 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2617441

User image

Expert
South Jersey
KenD - 2010-01-16 1:57 PM When will the orthotics be ready?
  I did not even think to ask.  He said the company he uses to make them manufacturers 4 or 5 different types.  He told me he was going to do some research on which type was best for me and what I am doing.  He was going to have me come back to mold my feet but I asked him to just do it today.  His office is about 40 minutes from home and I start working 6 days a week in a few weeks.  Also, I knew I was going to get them so no reason to delay by me having to go back.  He is going to get in touch with me in a few days and I will ask him then when they will be ready.  I just hope I am adjusted and able to wear them for my 10 miler the end of March.
2010-01-16 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2617447

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I think it took about 4 weeks for my buddy to get his in, and if it makes you feel better it took him all of like...2 seconds...to adjust to them.  They fit so well there wasn't a real need to "break them in".  Keep us updated!

Mrschach - 2010-01-16 2:09 PM
  I did not even think to ask.  He said the company he uses to make them manufacturers 4 or 5 different types.  He told me he was going to do some research on which type was best for me and what I am doing.  He was going to have me come back to mold my feet but I asked him to just do it today.  His office is about 40 minutes from home and I start working 6 days a week in a few weeks.  Also, I knew I was going to get them so no reason to delay by me having to go back.  He is going to get in touch with me in a few days and I will ask him then when they will be ready.  I just hope I am adjusted and able to wear them for my 10 miler the end of March.
2010-01-17 11:53 AM

User image

Louisville, Kentucky
I'm sorry I've been so quiet.  I've finally caught up.  Whenever I travel, it's hard to predict what the aftermath will be....only that it's unpredictable and should be shut down as an excuse for not making progress.  

I'm very interested in the orthotics topic, as I wear size 16 shoes and have a very hard time finding any kind of shoes...especially cycling shoes...with any sort of quality insole. 

I'm also interested in the clothing string.  My cycling clothing comes from www.boure.com

Great for clydesdales!  Great for everyone actually.  Hand made stuff from Durango, Colorado.  Great guys.  Ask for Wade.
2010-01-17 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2617447

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
My husband got his within 2 weeks of being cast, and he adjusted to them very quickly, he didn't even go through a break in period, just started wearing them everyday and on his runs without any issue.  Hopefully the same will happen for you and you'll see your runs improving in no time.

Mrschach - 2010-01-16 12:09 PM
  I did not even think to ask.  He said the company he uses to make them manufacturers 4 or 5 different types.  He told me he was going to do some research on which type was best for me and what I am doing.  He was going to have me come back to mold my feet but I asked him to just do it today.  His office is about 40 minutes from home and I start working 6 days a week in a few weeks.  Also, I knew I was going to get them so no reason to delay by me having to go back.  He is going to get in touch with me in a few days and I will ask him then when they will be ready.  I just hope I am adjusted and able to wear them for my 10 miler the end of March.
2010-01-17 6:03 PM
in reply to: #2618415

User image

Expert
South Jersey
corstan - 2010-01-17 1:30 PM My husband got his within 2 weeks of being cast, and he adjusted to them very quickly, he didn't even go through a break in period, just started wearing them everyday and on his runs without any issue.  Hopefully the same will happen for you and you'll see your runs improving in no time.
  Thanks, I hope so too!!  I am just about at the point where I don't even want to run and I NEED to run for my sanity.

2010-01-18 8:59 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Question for the week - when you're swimming, biking, running how do you determine your intensity level?  Perceived exertion?  Heart Rate monitor?  Power meter? 
2010-01-18 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2619353

User image

Louisville, Kentucky
KenD - 2010-01-18 9:59 AM Question for the week - when you're swimming, biking, running how do you determine your intensity level?  Perceived exertion?  Heart Rate monitor?  Power meter? 

That's a really good question.  And so important to making improvements.  I think in the pool it's perceived exertion.  At least for now.  Same way for the bike.  Perceived exertion is dangerous for me because I'll almost always over do it. 

When running, I use a heart rate monitor to make sure I'm in the aerobic zone.

As a rule, I'm a person that likes empirical data to gauge progress.  Perceived exertion makes this difficult.

2010-01-18 9:16 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
When I first started, I could not run a mile.  I hadn't run for fitness since high school and I tried running in that manner (all out).  One of the hardest things for me to learn was to slow down. 

A general rule of thumb for the run is you should be able to speak in at least 4 word sentences.  If not, you're going too fast.

I use a heart rate monitor for biking and running.  I've conducted field tests using the protocols found here on BT to establish my zones.  For swimming, I use perceived exertion.
2010-01-18 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2619353

User image

Expert
South Jersey
KenD - 2010-01-18 8:59 AM Question for the week - when you're swimming, biking, running how do you determine your intensity level?  Perceived exertion?  Heart Rate monitor?  Power meter? 

Bike and swim...heart rate monitor
Run...usually perceived exertion.  I almost always have one of the kids with me on the run so I am always talking.  Joe, my 3 year old, loves going to the basement with me to run on the treadmill.  If I am able to run outside, I usually toss one of them in my beloved BOB.  It can be annoying but I can always use them to tell if I am working too hard or not hard enough.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken D's Group - Shut Rss Feed  

of 28