BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group is FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-01-21 6:32 PM
in reply to: #2627436

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Newbz' group is FULL
sorry i thought you meant you did the 500 after doing workouts with 50s, you mean all in one workout, my only guess is either you were best warmed up, or you are just getting faster;-)

and i agree, when i am swimming, the hard swim workouts flatten me

2010-01-21 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2558352

User image

Extreme Veteran
I swam a lot last year and it seemed like it took me 500 yards to just get warmed up. After that, swimming was much easier and faster. But I am no way fast. I'm about 7:30 for 500 yards and close to 16:00 for 1000. I did my ironman swim at a leisurely pace (actually I was kind of bored - but it was a long day) in 1:15 .

I have been saying for months I was going to join the Y and the masters swim team - I have lots of seconds to take off my swim. I just need to do it!!!!
2010-01-21 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2627661

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
newbz - 2010-01-21 7:32 PM sorry i thought you meant you did the 500 after doing workouts with 50s, you mean all in one workout, my only guess is either you were best warmed up, or you are just getting faster;-) and i agree, when i am swimming, the hard swim workouts flatten me

Yeah it was all in one workout.  It is kind of nice knowing I have the ability to still go kind of fast after having an "all out" set that kicks my butt.  I agree too, that I am a better swimmer once I am warmed up.  I took your advice a while ago and started doing more warm ups and I think this is making a big difference in how I feel during a workout and how well I swim the main set portion.  Where I had only been doing about 500 yds. total WU, I am now doing 700 (easy 2x250 & 200 kick) for a slow WU then a slightly faster 500, say 7:50-8:00, to get my body ready for some faster paced stuff.

James, I wish i had the time and money to spend on some masters swimming.  I think it would provide some good learning opportunities for me.  Of course if I had my way I'd be independently wealthy and be able to afford the best gear and coaching and.......Oh well, it's not about that anyway.  I just enjoy the training and the idea of racing. I'm getting ancy waiting on some races I can do. 

2010-01-21 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2627910

User image

Champion
DirkP - 2010-01-21 7:52 PM

newbz - 2010-01-21 7:32 PM sorry i thought you meant you did the 500 after doing workouts with 50s, you mean all in one workout, my only guess is either you were best warmed up, or you are just getting faster;-) and i agree, when i am swimming, the hard swim workouts flatten me

Yeah it was all in one workout. It is kind of nice knowing I have the ability to still go kind of fast after having an "all out" set that kicks my butt. I agree too, that I am a better swimmer once I am warmed up. I took your advice a while ago and started doing more warm ups and I think this is making a big difference in how I feel during a workout and how well I swim the main set portion. Where I had only been doing about 500 yds. total WU, I am now doing 700 (easy 2x250 & 200 kick) for a slow WU then a slightly faster 500, say 7:50-8:00, to get my body ready for some faster paced stuff.

James, I wish i had the time and money to spend on some masters swimming. I think it would provide some good learning opportunities for me. Of course if I had my way I'd be independently wealthy and be able to afford the best gear and coaching and.......Oh well, it's not about that anyway. I just enjoy the training and the idea of racing. I'm getting ancy waiting on some races I can do.

wouldn't we all!!
i would love some swim workouts with other people!
I've found my three current running partners at the moment through craigslist, and am biking alone 100% of the time.
2010-01-22 6:56 AM
in reply to: #2623260

User image

Regular
Tampa
newbz - 2010-01-19 11:37 PM On a completely none-triathlon note, what do you guys like to do outside of tris, hobbies, fun, etc? I LOVE to cook, grew up in a family of chefs. By far my largest hobby/hopefully job soon outside of triathlon though is photos and photography.

good morning fellow newbz!
hope everyone has had a nice work week and getting ready for a great weekend.
here's what i like to do when i'm not running, riding, or swimming:
i love creating mosaic art pieces and enjoy making jewelry, blogging and listening to music. sometimes it's hard to fit all of these hobbies in w/ all the triathlon training, which is like a part time job on top of my full time job but i'm loving every minute of it.

everyone, have a fabulous weekend!
2010-01-22 9:10 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
All this talk of swimming makes me feel guilty! I missed my swim workout twice this week. Hopefully I'll find time to make it up this weekend...

2010-01-22 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2628567

User image

Champion
wiky - 2010-01-22 8:10 AM

All this talk of swimming makes me feel guilty! I missed my swim workout twice this week. Hopefully I'll find time to make it up this weekend...

it could be worse, aside from vacation over new years i have not swam in two months......
2010-01-22 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Ha, true enough!
2010-01-22 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2628988

User image

Champion
i finally found a new gym and am feeling like the first week or two back in the pool are gonna be ugly
2010-01-22 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2628260

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
KCinTampa - 2010-01-22 7:56 AM
newbz - 2010-01-19 11:37 PM On a completely none-triathlon note, what do you guys like to do outside of tris, hobbies, fun, etc? I LOVE to cook, grew up in a family of chefs. By far my largest hobby/hopefully job soon outside of triathlon though is photos and photography.

good morning fellow newbz!
hope everyone has had a nice work week and getting ready for a great weekend.
here's what i like to do when i'm not running, riding, or swimming:
i love creating mosaic art pieces and enjoy making jewelry, blogging and listening to music. sometimes it's hard to fit all of these hobbies in w/ all the triathlon training, which is like a part time job on top of my full time job but i'm loving every minute of it.

everyone, have a fabulous weekend!

I used to hunt ducks and geese quite a bit but have gotten out of it for the most part over the past couple of years.  Right now besides training I enjoy watching my daughters in their extracurricular activities....swimming and basketball.  I also enjoy playing drums but that has taken a bit of a backseat too with all the training and sports events I am attending the past couple of months.  Pretty soon I will be coaching my elementary school wrestling team for 6-8 weeks and I always enjoy this, I just wish I could get off work in time to do more of the coaching for them to become better wrestlers.  This will be my last year of coaching too.

2010-01-23 6:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
This is from my blog - I always get into these grooves - I want to be able to run my fastest / bestest 5k on Saturday and then PR the ironman on Sunday all while packing on some serious upper body strength and benching twice my body weight which by the way is less than it has ever been. I want it ALL - and I want it RIGHT NOW.

THURSDAY - It has been a little while since I failed at one of my exercise sessions. It is frustrating but that is part of the game. I went outside this morning and wanted to put together a 5 mile run at a 6:30 minute per mile pace. McMillan says I should now be able to run it at a 6:22 pace (in a race and all of that) – in addition my 5k times are in the low 19’s (sure it has been a year but I am sticking to it). I set up the GPS ‘virtual nemesis’ guy for said distance and pacing. He did not start out as slow as he usually does but at a manageable pace. I thought, “Not too bad”. My legs were still sore from the speed work on Tuesday night but I have seen sore legs before. At the start of almost all of these races over the last 6 weeks my legs have been sore at the starting line. I have had my doubts at each of these starting lines but the legs have not let me down. And today it was a little warmer - the temperatures in Southern Mississippi have returned to normal – 65 degrees and 100% humidity.

I was just not on game today – not physically or more importantly mentally. At the mile and a half mark I was holding steady but then I let me slip away. I pulled up – I let the digital nemesis go – he had been holding my shoulder and waiting for a break - he passed with authority and never looked back. I turned around at headed back to base camp. I was a dejected. During the much slow run I was able to pick myself up by my boot straps. FAILING is part of the process. Every night I push that trophy just a little further away. I remember when I thought it was too far out of reach in the past. I look at those lines in the sand. Some of them took years to cross (breaking the 20 minute barrier in the 5k) – but I step over them regularly. They are easy now. Some of the milestones are now easy training days. I remember the fear and trepidation of swimming 10 laps in a row in the pool much less the panic of my first 1/3 mile swim in a triathlon. I failed in the pool way back when. I failed at my first open water swims. Those are nothing now – I mean not even a warm up!

We like to succeed. We like to succeed all of the time. It feels good to accomplish things. However, these days it seems like so many accomplishments now are so easily achievable. They require no real work and therefore they have no real value. The successes are only worth the effort involved! If I don’t push the trophy a little further away each day then what value does a trophy have if you only have to walk across the run to get it?

I failed today – I pushed the limit and came up short. I like to say – “I’m never down. I’m either up or in the process of getting back up!” Today I am getting back up.

I ran 8 miles on Friday morning progressively faster - I started at 7:30 and ended at 7 - averaged 7:12 at a heart rate 20 beats per minute less that my last race. I was planning on running again at lunch but played some racquetball. I didi not drive to work so I had to get home - Just an easy 6 miles. I had it in my head to get 20 + miles on Friday with 3 runs but only ended up with 14.

Saturday - Right now I am waiting on a friend to come over to get a 20 miler in - we will see if I make 20 miles - my legs were tired last night. I may bail on the 20 and just get 15 miles. There is a group ride at 10:30 this morning that I would really like to hop on - mainly to catch up with friends and chew the fat. It will be in the mid 70's today (but then the rains come in)...

2010-01-23 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2630165

User image

Champion
a bit part of growing athletically (and really in most areas of life) is pushing the envelope and trying to ride that razors edge between jsut right and too much. If you never hit that point, you are leaving something on the table every time. however that brings with ti the risk that sometimes you'll go too far and blow up or break. At the time this seems like a horrible thing (and depending on what you did sometimes it really is), but this is where as atheltes (and people) we learn and grow. Just like stressing your body through training and then resting, this is how you become smarter with your training. you now have a benchmark for what your body can handle, what you can mentally push yourself too.

I've had workouts like that, mroe times than i care to count where things just did not go right, mentally i was not there, whatever.
One thing i have learned personally is that the more i try and push up my training load the more i let expectations for single workouts go, i stop worrying about how fast most of them are, and focus on the bigger picture of the whole week, month, etc.

it took me a few years to be able to really do that, but it also took that happening before i could get in the volumes i was looking for. This week will makr the first time in my life that i see what 50 miles running looks like, and let me tell you right now most runs feel like that, legs jsut not there.
2010-01-23 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2630254

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I just finished my first 9 mile run since last April and I know what you guys are talking about about no legs.  I ran 5 last night and 9 this morning (late morning) and for the first 2.5-3 miles I wasn't sure I was going to make it all the way.  I made it and felt strong from mile 4-8 and then the last mile was a slight struggle but I still felt pretty good.  I think lack of nutrition was part of the problem today too.  Nutrition is an area that I am struggling with because I want to lose several more pounds and don't want to over consume anything.

One of my goals for the next couple of months is to drop 6-10 pounds, lower my cholesterol and change my bad eating habits.  I like to many bad carbs and they def catch up to me.  I am trying to eat more fruit and yogurt while taking in more lean protein to accomplish my goal.  I will still eat some junk because if I don't I will get a craving and if I try to completely abolish trash food I will cheat one time and then it'll be over.  If I cheat just a little after "never eating it again" I will go on a junk food bender and it's too hard get on track again.
2010-01-23 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2630466

User image

Champion
i agree wit ha lot of what you are you saying about food. i eat pretty well but sometimes havge pizza, fries, stuff like that. its a lot easier to eat it now and again than it is to cut it out all together, crave something, and then go nuts with it. everything in moderation.
2010-01-23 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
After you start eating health for a while - even your benders are not too bad - more like what everyone else is doing everyday.

It is still hard though. I did a 20 mile run this morning and everything was great for about 15 miles. Then it got hard. So 34 miles in 2 days. I will prob run a little tomorrow - maybe 10 - 15 miles. Then take Monday off. This worked over the holidays and I came off of a high volume brick and had a great half marathon.

The 30 K (18.6 mile) race I have next weekend will be a real test. I am going to try and smack it - and come hell or high water I will see where the chips lay - love mixing the metaphors!!!!
2010-01-23 6:27 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
That's some big running guys! I've got some mid-80 mile weeks in my legs, but that was long ago. I hope to just get back to 40+/wk this spring. It's surprisingly hard to get there without injury!

2010-01-23 7:31 PM
in reply to: #2630895

User image

Champion
i just made it through 50 miles in a week for the first time today. 80mi a week sounds nuts!!

hopefully off of this pays off a year or twoo down the road with some fast run times!
2010-01-23 10:24 PM
in reply to: #2630979

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
While you guys have been talking about running long distances I have been running my daughter to the hospital.  It has been an interesting day for me, 9 miles this morning, my oldest passing out at the grocery , then the hospital. 

Me and my daughter were at the store pickin out a movie for the family to watch tonight and then picking up some take out food.  While at the store we stood and waited for someone in front of us at the Redbox, after they were done we moved up looked at a couple then she turns in to me, grasping me, telling me she doesn't know whats happening, feeling like things are going dark.  She clutched me for a few more seconds then went limp.  I was stunned of course but I lowered her to the floor, propped her legs up on my knee and waited.  After less tan 30 sec. she came around but I made her lay there for 3-4 minutes.

My wife and I then took her to the hospital and found out she has pneumonia.  She came home from swim last night and was feeling horrible but hasn't been real bad today, until........  She's going to be fine but it made for some interesting moments.

2010-01-23 10:46 PM
in reply to: #2631180

User image

Champion
that would be a scary moment for any parent. glad to hear its something a bit less serious than it could have been (not to say this is a laughing matter at all).

hopefully being in shape will help her body recover a bit faster!
I had it a few times as a kid (i managed to get sick like it was my job), was not a fun thing to have at all.

fluids are her best friend!

Good luck with everything and i hope she gets better fast!

and you sir, you sound like you have had a rough week......... I think its time to crack a beer.
2010-01-24 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Dirk -- Sounds like a scary moment. I've been there with one of my boys and know how frightening it can be when something like that happens. And I have to agree with David -- sounds like you've earned yourself a cold one with all you've been through lately!--ETA: Congrats on 50 miles David - that's awesome!

Edited by wiky 2010-01-24 6:50 AM
2010-01-24 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2631200

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
newbz - 2010-01-23 11:46 PM that would be a scary moment for any parent. glad to hear its something a bit less serious than it could have been (not to say this is a laughing matter at all). hopefully being in shape will help her body recover a bit faster! I had it a few times as a kid (i managed to get sick like it was my job), was not a fun thing to have at all. fluids are her best friend! Good luck with everything and i hope she gets better fast! and you sir, you sound like you have had a rough week......... I think its time to crack a beer.

I was actually not really freaked out much.  As I layed her to the floor some old training kicked in and I just kind of "went to work" for a couple of minutes.  I was a volunteer firefighter and first responder for 11 years so  have dealt with similar situations before.  It was definitely different since it was my own.  My only moments of struggle were when she lay rigid on the floor for about 10 sec as I was trying to determine whether it was a seizure or just a syncopal episode.  As she came around I figured the latter was the case and was glad I hadnt called 911.

Rob, I had planned on cracking opened a frosty cold Killian's Red (I have 3in the fridge calling my name) last night until.........ˆˆthisˆˆ

Training was kind of tough this week but I don't suppose it's going to be easy and it's one of the reasons I like the training.  BTW I am tired of all the drama in my household, how about someone else take it for a change.  As long as it's simple stuff.  No illness's, stabings, shootings, job loss or anything like that, just a strong disagreement or something.

2010-01-24 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wow - what a calm and collected reaction! Good on you Dirk. I see so many people in those situations just freak out and make it so much worse!

2010-01-24 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Heading out for a swim and then it's football time.  Decided to pull for Favre (I'm sure he's relieved).  My wife is from Minnesota, and I've always given her a hard time for their travails.  Will be strange to actually be pulling for the guys in purple for a change.

Happy Sunday... 
2010-01-24 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Like I said - I am in Hattiesburg - USM - where Favre went and lives and also 90 miles from NOLA. I would say MS and LA are 90% SAINTS but Hattiesburg is only 80% SAINTS.

I would like to see a COLTS / SAINTS superbowl.
2010-01-24 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2631810

User image

Champion
psshhhh football;-))

i went out and played deck hockey for 3 hours and then hit a 5 mile run, so a nice dose of speedwork today!

beer, hockey, and a movie is the rest of my day
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group is FULL Rss Feed  

of 19