BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri for fun - Full up, closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-01-30 10:45 PM
in reply to: #2587664

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Tri for fun - Full up, closed
A quote on my Ipod right now "It aint about how hard you can hit. Its about how hard you can get hit, about how much you can take and keep moving forward. Thats how winning is done"

When things get tough,and they certainly will...just keep moving forward! You guys are awesome. Thanks for letting me be a small part of your lives as you train.

2010-01-31 10:45 AM

To all who are struggling with health challenges/issues....you are in my thoughts...I send my best wishes your way.

I haven't been reading posts regularly due to one computer and 2 kids with computer projects lately....time on computer has not been abundant....I am sorry I didn't post my thoughts and prayers for you sooner, Nichi...

I have signed up with a coach who has a much lower volume approach -- but much higher intensity..ouch! I have decided to continue logging with BT though because I love the site and the people...it means double logging, but it will be worth it...all my data from 2008-now is here...so I may be a bit slower to read blogs, etc. Forgive me All in due time...

2010-02-01 6:46 AM

User image

Expert
OK.  Now the ugly competitive side of me comes out.  I logged 8.75 miles running this AM.  Thought about turning for home at 7, but the Superbowl challenge kept me out there for a few minutes longer.  Good luck today to everyone (especially my team).

Rob
2010-02-01 6:49 AM
in reply to: #2646717

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
And so it begins.  Everyone have a great time and 15 days of intense training.  This will hopefully leap all of us into a great month of training and keep us motivated during a time when a lot of people fall off the training bandwagon.  Race season will be here before you know it. 
2010-02-01 10:38 AM

here here !!
2010-02-01 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Well I ran long for the team this morning. 8 miles. I have to say that a little competition is healthy. I like it.

To sweeten thepot I have some gift certificates to Trisports.com for the winning team. They aren't much but just a little something extra. We can always use more equipment.

Have a great day everyone.

2010-02-01 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2647660

User image

Expert
holt1997 - 2010-02-01 1:07 PM Well I ran long for the team this morning. 8 miles. I have to say that a little competition is healthy. I like it. To sweeten thepot I have some gift certificates to Trisports.com for the winning team. They aren't much but just a little something extra. We can always use more equipment. Have a great day everyone.

Ok.  Now this is getting serious.  Maybe I will run to work tonight (27 miles).  Maybe not.  Godd luck to all.
2010-02-01 1:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
Oh man, I love it.  Good job on the gift certificates. 
2010-02-01 10:14 PM
in reply to: #2647880

User image

I got us a safety tonight (+2 points!) for a couple of hours of tennis.  Stinks that I lost, but at least our tennis team is still in first place.
2010-02-02 7:25 AM

Question....after swimming, I sometimes wake at night feeling like I don't have enough air. It is NOT that I am breathing with difficulty...I breath slightly faster than normal but seem to have air hunger. I have to talk myself through this and focus on deep breathing . In several years of swimming it has happened only a handful of times, but often enough for me to know that I need to get an allergy pill in immediately and then just stay calm until the episode passes. There is never wheezing, colour change, serious respiratory distress or cough. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions etc other than "see your doctor"? The doctor is stumped, too. It usually takes about 90min of working things through and then I feel fine...wierd!

Edited by arny 2010-02-02 7:29 AM
2010-02-02 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2649248

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
arny - 2010-02-02 5:25 AM

Question....after swimming, I sometimes wake at night feeling like I don't have enough air. It is NOT that I am breathing with difficulty...I breath slightly faster than normal but seem to have air hunger. I have to talk myself through this and focus on deep breathing . In several years of swimming it has happened only a handful of times, but often enough for me to know that I need to get an allergy pill in immediately and then just stay calm until the episode passes. There is never wheezing, colour change, serious respiratory distress or cough. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions etc other than "see your doctor"? The doctor is stumped, too. It usually takes about 90min of working things through and then I feel fine...wierd!

Well that is weird. Couple of questions: What kind of allergy med makes it go away.Do you notice it happening after anything particular? (Ie warmer than normal pool, winter months only, house is warmer than usual) I guess I am trying to tie it to swimming directly or something that happens along with the swimming that may have been missed as a parallel occurance. I might just shoot you an email. Lots of questions to ask.

2010-02-02 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2649248

User image

Expert
arny - 2010-02-02 8:25 AM Question....after swimming, I sometimes wake at night feeling like I don't have enough air. It is NOT that I am breathing with difficulty...I breath slightly faster than normal but seem to have air hunger. I have to talk myself through this and focus on deep breathing . In several years of swimming it has happened only a handful of times, but often enough for me to know that I need to get an allergy pill in immediately and then just stay calm until the episode passes. There is never wheezing, colour change, serious respiratory distress or cough. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions etc other than "see your doctor"? The doctor is stumped, too. It usually takes about 90min of working things through and then I feel fine...wierd!

Do you suffer from anxiety or depression?  You coulkd be having a Panic Attack.  Panic Disorder is a real diagnosis.  Often hits at night when we slow down, and our thoughts get away from us. 

Just mu $0.02.

Rob
2010-02-02 12:42 PM

Regular
Hi all,

Nichi, that's great news!

Arny - It's probably not this, but I just learned about paroxymsal noctural dyspnea, where folks wake up in the middle of the night feeling breathless. I think that happens with cardiac valve disorders, and I don't think it would correlate to swim workouts, unless you have a known valve problem?

I hope the competitor in me wakes up for this challenge. School has been swamping me. I decided to go out Saturday night for a girls night, and wound up drinking a few too many Margaritas and stayed out until 3! I'm still recovering somewhat from that. Going out and socializing is good, but late nights like that are not.

Tonight my husband and I start going back to counselling. We've gone on and off through the years. We're at a point where we're both so busy and stressed out, that something needs to happen. We always leave our sessions feeling better about us, and with a few tools to be nicer to one another, so I'm looking forward to it. So on top of everything else, marital issues have been at the forefront of life lately.

But.... the good news, I'm dropping the kids off at the babysitter's at 4:30, and my appt isn't until 5:30, so I'm thinking I could actually try to get a run in.
2010-02-02 1:17 PM

User image

frozen north till Spring
woo hoo just got the taxes done and sent in (e-file

started to take my Jeep TJ back to stock (removing the lift kit, 33" tires, aux lighting, stereo, etc...) so I can trade it in next week on a 4-door wrangler

so i have some time today to get on the bike

Bobby
2010-02-02 3:30 PM

Thank you for your ideas on this bizarre, infrequent but concerning night breathlessness. The first time it happened it was almost surreal. I sat by the wide open window, near panic and aware of breathing fast but not having enough O2 picked up and circulated...it was surreal because I sat there with the phone, knowing that if I couldn't figure out a solution, I would have to call 911. This time, I felt the rapid breathing while I was asleep and knew I had to get up, take a triaminic and focus on breathing. So strange! I have cared for so many folks over the years(as an acute care nurse) and have always been able to get their breathing under control with different oxygen setups/suctioning/meds, etc. But this seems like the lungs are filled with something that prevents air exchange. The breathing drive is there and active, there is no wheezing or fluid in the lung/airway...and it responds to antihistamines! And it ONLY ever happens after long pool exertions or times when I swim without noseplug...open water swimming NEVER causes it no matter how hard I work. Hmm...my foe, chlorine?

I will definitely think about all the ideas you have presented and totally appreciate ALL of the responses...thank you

Hey---good job on getting the taxes done!!

Edited by arny 2010-02-02 3:32 PM
2010-02-02 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2650358

User image

Regular
Binghamton
mdslngr - 2010-02-02 1:17 PM woo hoo just got the taxes done and sent in (e-file

started to take my Jeep TJ back to stock (removing the lift kit, 33" tires, aux lighting, stereo, etc...) so I can trade it in next week on a 4-door wrangler

so i have some time today to get on the bike

Bobby

Those 4 door Wranglers are so cool...we looked at getting one but with 3 kids and a cousin living with us, didn't think we would have enough room!

So, i was flipping through a tri mag last night and noticed that there is a 70.3 in Branson MO in Septmeber...I was planning on attempting a half ironman next year and possible a full.  Now i am tempted to try the half this september.

Do i have enough time to prepare?? 

Dan

2010-02-02 11:24 PM
in reply to: #2646717

davidson3 - 2010-02-01 6:46 AM OK.  Now the ugly competitive side of me comes out.  I logged 8.75 miles running this AM.  Thought about turning for home at 7, but the Superbowl challenge kept me out there for a few minutes longer.  Good luck today to everyone (especially my team).

Rob

Touchdown, Team 1!!!!  I ran 8.79 miles today-(wasn't intentional to go that far, lost my yaktrax and had to go find them!

Great handoff Rob!

Go EVERYONE *and especially Team 1!!

Nichi
2010-02-03 12:10 AM

You know you have it bad when you are considering moving your mail to the postoffice so you would have to run or bike to get it everyday...just a thought that crossed my mind today!

Anyone else want to share?

Nichi
who had a nap today, so is awake!
2010-02-03 12:19 AM
in reply to: #2645228

holt1997 - 2010-01-30 10:45 PM A quote on my Ipod right now "It aint about how hard you can hit. Its about how hard you can get hit, about how much you can take and keep moving forward. Thats how winning is done" When things get tough,and they certainly will...just keep moving forward! You guys are awesome. Thanks for letting me be a small part of your lives as you train.

I like the quote.  I guess that's why I like running in the cold, it's a challenge and it makes me mentally stronger, too.  I don't think I have ever trained through the whole winter and it's happening!!!!  Thanks for signing up to be a mentor!  This is fun!  That's the goal, right?!
Nichi
p.s.  Have you seen facing the giants?  reminded me of the practice where the coach has one of the players ride on the back of one of the team captains, and they keep moving down the field...
2010-02-03 2:25 AM
in reply to: #2651094

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
Dan,

Yes, you have enough time to do a HIM by Sept.  I just started training in Jan for my HIM that is in July.  I am nervous about the training time as well but if I stay on track, I will make it.  Now in saying that, my only goal is to finish (and not drown).  I don't have a finish time goal.  That will be for next year.  The swimming is my weakest sport and I have been trying to get in the pool 3 times a week to address that. 

This group is also holding me accountable.  There have been times that I wanted to quit a workout and thought that I had to keep going so that I could log my time on BT. 

I would go for it. 
2010-02-03 2:28 AM
in reply to: #2651526

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
Nichi,

Moving your mail to the post office.  Man, you do have it bad.  Good for you. 

2010-02-03 10:38 AM

Hey Dan, I agree with John...if you have a tr. plan and stick to it, you DO have enough time to prep to finish HIM in Sept, no worries. It's worth considering...there will probably never be a perfect time in life and if this is one of your goals...we say go for it ...plan it out and sign up. If you find that you really really aren't ready by race time, no one will fire you for standing down(so you'll be out a few bucks...that is a small price to pay for motivation towards fitness). I am with John...go for it
2010-02-03 2:54 PM

Um...who is doing the final tally on the team numbers at the end...please, please, please...I will do latrine duty over anything with numbers!! Funny thing is, I am married to an engineer turned math teacher...and my kids swim race...WHO ever thought a millisecond mattered in anything? It can!! All the stats in this house ... argh ... I still can't even count 20 pool laps ... I' m serious, I lose count when I get beyond single digits...hmmm....

2010-02-03 4:00 PM

Regular
Hey all,

Thanks to everyone who sent me words of encouragement, I'll try to respond to all. Counseling session #1 went okay, the message we took away was "better time management". Go figure! We couldn't quite get through to the therapist that there really aren't enough hours in the day for us to set aside time for both ourselves and for each other. But hey, we can try to get better.

The great news is that I did get out for a run before the session. I did 2 miles in just under 20 minutes, without stopping. It made me feel better that maybe little baby workouts here and there are working since it didn't feel hard. Now if only my damn husband would get home, I'd go for another run!

Where can we check to see how our team is doing, and/or add our workouts?

Suzanne
PS - You guys rock!
2010-02-03 5:20 PM

We're rooting for you Suzanne..and great job on the run....very good indeed!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri for fun - Full up, closed Rss Feed  

of 21