BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-02-26 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2694391

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL!
Thanks Phoenix. I am going to try and get to the pool on Sunday morning. We use the fins in various drills with the class and so we were required to have them. She likes the full length fins best whatever was comfortable for you was fine. I have a weak kick so I wanted Zoomers (so my feet would still work hard) but my size is too tight and the next size is too big. I already had a pair Speedo half length lying under my bed so I just used those and they are super comfortable. I don’t use the fins outside of class.

By the way, I bought my tax software weeks ago and it’s still sitting on the counter in the box. I haven’t gone through my tax files yet either but those don’t take long. I am very organized with those. As I get tax related things, I put them in one folder so I just have to grab the folder. I do need to print my reports from Microsoft Money so I know they match my receipts.
I usually enter things into the computer as they come in so by the time the last item comes in the mail, I am done by mid Feb. this year I am being lazy.

2010-02-26 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2600896

User image

Expert
Okay...after a full week of hesitation, I did it. All registered for a sprint tri Sunday, June 13 at 7 am. Yikes. God help me! Now I just have to learn to not be a weenie on the down hills, get some endurance on the bike, get some speed on the swim and run and lose about 10 pounds so I fit into my wetsuit again in a couple months. Yep, piece of cake:0
2010-02-27 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
phoenix that's awesome news!!!  I always find that registering makes it real so if I don't register my "training" is just to keep me fit.  Glad to hear you have a goal.

It 's anotherr crappy morning in NH so I'm going to try to run- I also have a bike today. I finally figured out my training plan which is good.  We have to help a friend move and the BF is being SOOOOO pokey to get on the bike and get his 2+ hr ride in.  I just want to tell him to get on with it!!  Phew!  Rant over-  but I really don't think men get the whole scheduling/timing thing of a busy saturday.  We have to help a friend move around noon so for us to both get out bike in, he needs to get on NOW.

Ok- rant really over.  Hope everyone gets to their workouts today and has a great weekend!!
2010-02-27 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I hear your pain--for anyone in any type of family situation, you quickly realize that you not only have to overcome your own mental issues with training, but you also have to have the cooperation of others in your life. Sometimes the anxiety of knowing that the family unit is getting restless with trying to keep baby off the treadmill while I run or keeping her from falling into the toilet or whatever is really a stress on me. And if the hubby doesn't feel like going to the Y I lose my steam too. oh well.....I'd love to have my husband do the canoeing part of a tri in the fall where you canoe instead of swim and do a mountain bike course and a cross country run. He wouldn't have to do the bike and run......hmm....how to make it his idea.......
2010-02-27 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
We should start thinking about a March challenge as we come to the end of February.
My goal was to complete the HIM, then aim for the full IM distances.

Swim - 4625 yards (goal 4225 yards)
Bike - 8 miles (goal 56 miles), didn't complete due to knee injury
Run - 29.59 (goal 26 miles)

I am also doing a Biggest Loser Challenge at work that started in November that goes thru May.
I have lost 12.5 lbs so far. Exercise and journaling everything I eat. My weight loss has been slow but moving in the right direction nontheless.

For March challenge, any thoughts?

Another HIM/IM
100 pushup challenge
200 crunches challenge
pick your sport and distance

Lovey
2010-02-28 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Funny you should mention the march challenge.....

Here is what I would like us to do, as a group:

it seems like the majority of us- the ones that are still here- have a race coming up in May. Almost all of us are run focused right now, so I would like to set a mileage goal for the GROUP. Since most of you are already on training plans, all you have to do is follow your training plans. But- this might be the extra incentive you need on those days when you just don't feel like doing your run, knowing that your mileage counts towards the group goal.

I think we could do either 150 or 200 miles.

Thoughts?

Check out Lovey's post above, she had some ideas too. And, as always, the challenge is voluntary. With many of us launching into the biggest part of our training for May events, we may have less time to focus on the challenge this month.

2010-02-28 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
I like the run focused challenged and think we could shoot for 200 miles as I have a goal of 60-75 miles for March myself.

Off to the Y for my final swim!
2010-02-28 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Well, I did it! I met the Feb. IM challenge...but I must confess, it was harder than I thought. Had all these idealistic visions of running 13+ miles per week (and having it get easier, not harder) and just meeting the swim and bike with ease. Ha! Every mile on the bike was torture, the swim was fun, but hard to fit in with the family, and the run....well.....it's not getting any easier.

Lovey--that weight loss is fantastic! I need to find the motivation to take your advice and LOG MY FOOD. I know that will help. So, I'm making that my March challenge, too. Run more (a lot more) and log my food.

How's everyone feeling these days? Feeling strong?
2010-02-28 5:29 PM

User image

Arcata, CA

I MADE IT TOO PHOENIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And yes, it was much much harder than I expected.  I kept thinking, if someone can do this in a day surely I can do it in 28.  I did a lot of it in this last week, so it really pushed my fitness level.  I'm hoping to keep working out strong like I have this week.  I like the idea of a running goal, but 200 miles should definately be the minimum.  I figure if I run 4 miles, 3x a week.  I will be running close to 50 miles this month myself.  As I learned this month, it is easier to set these goals than to actually perform them.  But I think I'll set my goal at 50 miles this month!  I want to try to build up to 10k runs.  I can do it, I know I can...   Everyone keep up the great work!

2010-02-28 6:56 PM
in reply to: #2697751

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
One of my suggestions were pick a sport and distance so I think a your running challenge goes well with that.

My modified Hal Higdon novice half marathon training plan calls for 14 to 23 miles per week on T/W/Th & Sa. One of the runs is an easy 2 miles every Wednesday. I usually skip that unless I missed my Tuesday run. Doing at least 50 miles should be my minimum.

I will try to do the 100 Pushup Challenge on my own because everytime I've started, I would get frustrated and quit.

I have to say I really enjoyed the IM distance challenge for February. Part was frustrating because I could have had more run mileage but snowstorms and blizzards closed roads and even the gym so no runs. My body enjoyed the rest anyway.

I swam only 200 yards more than January but I felt like I swam with more purpose. That made a huge difference for me.

I am so hooked. I LOVE seeing my pink and peach days light up across the page.

You guys rock!!

Lovey
2010-02-28 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2698595

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

A running challenge may or may not be a challenge for most of us because we are into our training plans.  I will be doing between 30-40 miles next month of running if I stick to my plan, so count me in.  I am going to challenge myself to move my body every day.  I am going for a peachy month, no yellow or white, at least 20 minutes a day, even if its walking.

Lovey, what is this 100 push-up challenge?  I have the evil trainer who loves push-ups.  He would be more than happy to have me do 100 push-ups (my triceps on the other hand may hate me).  Please share.

My goal is to get into the pool at least 1x in March.  I will try to follow my training plan 80% of the time (totally realistic) and healthy eating 80% of the time. 

2010-03-01 5:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
LOVEY-

Post info on the 100 push up challenge. I'm thinking we can have two challenges this month- that one, and then, as a group, a running mileage goal.

Those of us that are left right now are:

enkidu87
jogo
kziemer
Lovey
movingsouth
phoenix
run2pray
ginny (scubagrrl)
akr18 (me)

Congrats to our February IM challengers:
jo and ginny (team)
enkidu87
lovey (met run and swim areas)
phoenix

And our February HIM Challengers:
Anne
run2pray
kziemer (almost! but she was travelling!)

Moving South- here is to a much much much healthier March for you! Hope you are recovered!

TODAY, I want you all to look at your planned training for this month, then pledge on here how many miles you are going to do. I'll then come up with a total mileage for our group and post it- and each week let you know how close we are to meeting our goal.

Yes, I realize that running is not a challenge for most of us- but I want this to be motivation for the March Lull that happens, when people easily drop days because it's too cold/rainy/etc. Lovey, let us know what the push-up challenge is and maybe we can do that, too.
2010-03-01 7:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
I'm in for the running challenge.  My goal is to be back to 12 mpw minimum every week for March w/the exception of one week when I'm on vacation again.  So let's say for a total this month of 40 miles this month.
2010-03-01 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2696463

User image

Regular
Fair Hill, MD
AWESOME signing up for the tri!   

I'm getting ready for my first wet-suit purchase, and I'm not sure what direction I should go... since you already own one, I'm interested in what you think...

Do I save up and get a really good one, or plunk down the price for an entry-level suit and upgrade later?    Do you really get that much benefit from a sleeveless kind? 
2010-03-01 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2694219

User image

Regular
Fair Hill, MD
AWESOME JOB on your swimming, Lovey!  I LOVED this program and it really works.  
2010-03-01 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
I'm in for the run challenge!  Not sure how much I'll contribute as I'm heart rate training, but hopefully enough to meet our 200 mile goal this month.

Joyce- as for a wetsuit, I went entry level and spent $200.  I got a full sleeve one as there tend to be cooler waters in the northeast as we often do lake swims.  We both have a 2XU full sleeve and he bought an Xterra sleeveless as he tends to get warm.  People also like the sleeveless because there is no shoulder resistance. 

I also tried on both men's and women's suits and I think I bought a men's suit.  As for fit, it should fit like a second skin.  I'm sure the store will have them, but bring plastic bags and put them on your feet and hands when getting in. I promise it'll make it that much easier to try them on.  Also, if you get some nail digs or rips and tears, they can be repaired pretty easily unless on a major seam.  The shop should be able to tell you about that.  Also, make sure you can get out of it on your own as you'll have to do it in a race.

Often, you can also rent them and the price of the rental will go toward your eventual suit so you could try out one or two for a few days and see which you like more.  Good luck with the purchase!

2010-03-01 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
we rented wetsuits through Wetsuit Rental.com for our first cold water race. I highly recommend it!!!

Otherwise, I would recommend Xterra wetsuits- not too pricey, good quality.

I'm 6 foot tall, so I wear a men's wetsuit. Remember in a race you will be able to coat yourself in BodyGlide before getting into your wetsuit, which will help you get out of it faster than you will be able to get in and out of it in a dressing room.

I'm a lifelong swimmer and disliked wetsuits with sleeves due to the shoulder resistance. My husband has a full body full length one and he loves it. I have not purchased one (yet).
2010-03-01 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2699113

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
The one hundred pushup challenge:

http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

(can't figure out how to make a link on this website)

It starts off with a self test to see where you are. That determines what level in the program you will start at. check it out, let me know what you think.

Don't all trainers love pushups?!! I think they know how hard they can be and want to punish us.

Here is an intro from the site:
If you're serious about increasing your strength, follow this six week training program and you'll soon be on your way to completing 100 consecutive push ups!

Think there's no way you could do this? I think you can! All you need is a good plan, plenty of discipline and about 30 minutes a week to achive this goal!

No doubt some of you can already do 50 consecutive push ups, but let's face it, you're in a big minority. Most of you reading this won't even be able to manage 20 pushups. Actually, I'm sure many of you can't even do 10.

However, it really doesn't matter which group you fall into. If you follow the progressive push ups training program, I'm positive you'll soon be able to do 100 push ups!

Lovey

Edited by Lovey 2010-03-01 11:44 AM
2010-03-01 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2697751

User image

Regular
Fair Hill, MD
I'll join in for both challenges.  Thanks for the website, Lovey.  I'll look into it.  I guess we just need to know how to log it in.

As for the running challenge, is it ok that I run/walk... or does it have to be consecutive running to county?    I have a plan for increasing the length of running and building up to 3 miles without walking eventually, but I don't know if that will happen within one month?  Is that a reachable goal?  I just don't have the experience to know.    Right now, this is my plan:

Week one - run/walk 5 miles (2x per week) - alternating .37 mi run/.25 mile walk
Week two - run/walk 5 miles (2x per week) - alternating .5 mi run/.25 mile walk
Week three - run/walk 5 miles (2xper week) - .75 run / .25 walk
Week four - run/walk 5 miles (2xper week) - 1 mi run/.25 walk

So, I guess that will put me at 40 miles for March.  This is going to be hard for me, but I'm glad to have a goal or else I'd wimp out.

My first 5K for the season is at the end of this month.  I'm feeling like I won't be ready for it... but I just gotta keep on keepin' on and not get discouraged.

2010-03-01 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2699972

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Run2Pray - Run/walk definitely counts in my book. 3 miles is 3 miles.
Have you ever heard of Couch to 5K running program. It gets you off the couch to running a 5K or 30 minutes in 9 weeks and you can repeat weeks where necessary. I started with this and at the end I wasn’t running a 5k distance but I was running 30 minutes straight. Since you obviously not on the couch, you can jump in at whatever week you think is appropriate for you and go from there. You can even add distance by repeating the sequence back to back in one workout.

Couch to 5K Running program
www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml)

Couch to 5K podcasts (the author gives you the run and walk cues and plays music in between)

www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/

I am attaching the word document as well if it would be easier to open:

Lovey

Edited by Lovey 2010-03-01 12:17 PM

Attachments
----------------
Couch-to-5K Running Plan.doc (53KB - 1 downloads)
2010-03-01 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio
That Couch 2 5K program is how I got started running.  I sometimes revert back to it if I've had too much time off and need to build back up my running.  And some days I just need to walk some.  I still count the miles.

Ok a funny story.  I have been trying to get my former runner boy friend to start running again with me.  I was telling him all about the Couch 2 5K program and how it helped me etc.  (Because being a former runner he thought he could just go out and run 3 miles again and ended up hurting himself)  I sent him the link to the program and said "Here's the couch 2 5K program I have been on".  He responds back to me with "Thanks, but I'm on the Couch to Kitchen program right now and don't think I can fit anything else in!" 

2010-03-01 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
For the pushup challenge, pushups can be logged under strength training. It is listed in more than one area like chest and core. I don’t think it matters what category you put it as long as its in strength training.

Lovey
2010-03-01 7:04 PM

User image

Expert
Okay--I'm in for 60 run miles this month, but I hope to do more than that (optimistically speaking this first day of the month!).

I"m in for the 100 push up challenge too, as long as you all don't watch my form....no peeking now....yes I know, I do girlie pushups...(I'm gonna be soooo sore.....)

I have both a sleeveless and a full wetsuit, as I always jump in before I really know what I'm in for.....I hate the sleeveless (too tight around my neck--it chokes the sh*t out of me) and it's cold! in this part of the world. I was actually considering going without the suit this year if it is warm enough because of the hassle of taking it off again. If you become a strong enough swimmer, you don't need one. Otherwise, if lake swimming is new to you, the extra buoyancy the suit provides is WONDERFUL. But then, I was addicted to flippers for awhile and I absolutely, positively NEED a nose plug. I lost mine in the pool the other day and I immediately got out of said pool and got a spare from the locker room, snorting out the awful water the whole way and I looked for that darn noseplug for the rest of the swim, but alas.....the pool ate it. So, my point is, if you need a wetsuit to make you feel more comfortable, then it is worth the investment of rental or purchase. Just make sure it doesn't choke you

I love you guys! You are just the motivation I need.

I am logging my food today--thanks Lovey for the inspiration--it really helps when you know there is accountability!
2010-03-02 6:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I am setting the group running goal at 200. I think it's great that many of you have big run goals for this month, but this number is based on what you ACTUALLY RAN last month, with the idea that you will go a little past that goal. I am not setting anyone up for injury, and I am leaving us a little room in case someone gets hurt, or a giant snowstorm hits, or life gets in the way. This is not a competition to see who can run the most, or who can talk about running the most- this is just a group goal of miles, and I will post our weekly total each month.

Speaking of injury- several of you really risked injury last week by pushing a lot of training into one week. I'm glad you met your goal, but I would have been just as happy had you said, halfway through the month, Oh, things happened, I'm not going to meet the full, so here is my new goal. INJURY IS NOT WORTH IT. And by injury I'm not talking a sore muscle. You risk IT Band injury and Plantar Fasciatis when you increase distance in your run too fast, so I do not want to see that this month. If you are following a training plan, then please follow it as close as you can. No training plan will have you increase your run more than 10% a week- that is to avoid injury.

SO- MARCH:
Group Running Goal- 200 miles in one month.
Other Challenge, for those who would like to participate: 100 Push Up Challange http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

To log it, stick it under Strength Training, or just write what you do in the giant comment box at the bottom of your training log screen when you log for the day.
2010-03-02 3:40 PM

User image

Arcata, CA
I'll make 40 miles my running goal this month and take part in the 100 push up challenge.  I've started the push up challenge before, but I've never seen it all the way through.  I pride myself on  my push up ability, and will even more when I can do 100 without stopping. 

My tri filled up Feb. 26th!!!  Good thing I signed up early.  Now that I'm getting e-mails about my tri, and now that it is filled to capacity.  I am getting more and more nervous.  Hopefully everything turns out okay.   I'm trying to keep my head up
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  

of 29