BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-04-10 6:39 AM
in reply to: #2781796

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
tri808 - 2010-04-10 4:45 AM
newbz - 2010-04-09 6:18 PM
ddiamond - 2010-04-09 8:26 PM
carlwithac - 2010-04-09 10:19 PM Two of my favorite things to do are sleep and train. Everything else just gets in the way Tongue out

That is the benefit of still being in college Wink Enjoy it while you can...

eating comes in that list too;-)

x2...I made the mistake of graduating...I should have been a professional student.

Sorry for not being around much....
School has been a little crazy and have had only a little time here and there to try and keep up with the posts on this.

I have been going to school for 45 years now since I was 4 yrs old! Innocent
Actually most of that has been as a teacher...
Summers off which is going to be nice for training.
In about 5 years I will be eligable to retire so the possibilites are going to be endless!

Carl, LOVE the bike!
How do you attach the cyclometer to the handlebar stem? I just got some T2+ clip-ons and need to relocate my cyclometer.

Dan, thanks also for the list it is a great help!
I really like this group alot of experience and support! Who said that Triathlon was an indivdual sport!?  Tongue out

2010-04-10 6:40 AM
in reply to: #2781798

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
tri808 - 2010-04-10 4:49 AM I got off work early today and got in the ocean for a swim.  Did a 2000 meter route that I started doing a couple weeks ago, and shaved off nearly 4 minutes off my first time.  I think at least 2 minutes were due to just swimming straighter.  It also put me at and even 2 min per 100yd average...hoping to get that down under 2 min per 100 meters by next month.

That's a awesome improvement!  I'd be psyched.  Did you start doing any sighting drills?
2010-04-10 6:46 AM
in reply to: #2781809

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
RogerWilco - 2010-04-10 5:37 AM Okay, my first call for help. I posted my latest swimming video to TriTalk and my former mentor group, but I will post it again here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buPz7RzLJ1Y
Some of the former comments:
1) On the recovery phase, I'm not using the high elbow style.
2) I'm taking my hand out of water a little early, I may push a little further with my hand.
3) My underwater pull phase needs work on the high elbow. (the most difficult part for me, I'm still not sure how I should be doing it)

I've been working on these aspects for 1 month now. But the 100 m times are still the same. I'm a little upset about it. I'm planning on being recorded again in 3 or 4 weeks' time, until then I would like to hear your comments about my style.

A little explanation about the video. The pool is 25 meters, so I'm swimming 100 meters in 1:40 in this recording and I'm not pushing it. But I cannot keep this kind of pace more than 300, maybe 400 meters.

Please also give your recommendations about drills, sets, etc.

ETA: My current PB for 1500 meters is 29 minutes, my average 100 m times for my training sessions are about 1:55.

Hmmm, having some trouble with the video.  Will look at it again later.  Maybe the government has taken youtube away!? Surprised 

Can you explain your elbow issue?  Sometimes my elbows are low because I am crossing my arm infront of my body.  Any chance this is the case?  I'm no expert, but managed to pull my 100m average to 1:40 from 1:55 a couple months ago.  A lot of that has to do with slow long strokes, really focussing on each element at a time.  Don't try to pull it all together until you have one thing correct.  Do drills only focussing on one of your issues at a time...and do it until you get it right, or until it feels very fluid and smooth.  Then progress to the next.  When you finish the second drill, try to put the two together for a couple laps.  If it feels awkward, go back to the individual drills.
2010-04-10 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2781805

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
tri808 - 2010-04-10 6:23 PM
dcon - 2010-04-09 3:58 PM Good morning - at least it is here in Japan.  

Carl: nice bike and I too like the fork covers.

Art: sorry about the typo.  I'll reissue the chart in a day or two - figure better to wait in case there are other changes.

Jason: no vitamins or supplements - I think I get what I need from eating well.

Jane: I get 7 most of the time and 8 every once in a while.   

I went to Sendai when I was vacationing in Japan last year.  We were only in Sendai for a day...but if I remember correctly, that's where we took the tour where you can go on the boats and feed the Sea Gulls shrimp chips while they are flying.  Then they take you to that temple with the tall trees and the stone sculptures...can't remember what it was called though.

I also remember it being very windy and very cold compared to the rest of Japan...we were there pretty much one year from now...mid April 09

hmmm....maybe you were at Matsushima which is very close to Sendai.  There is a temple or two there with the tall cedar trees along the walk.    There are also lots of small islands covered in pine trees (Matsushima translates to Pine Tree Island).   I have never been on a tour where you feed the sea gulls.

Anyway, I'd rather be where you are (Hawaii for those who haven't checked his profile) ...at least from November-April.  Aw heck, January-December would actually be better.
2010-04-10 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2781795

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
tri808 - 2010-04-10 5:45 PM
carlwithac - 2010-04-09 10:19 PM Two of my favorite things to do are sleep and train. Everything else just gets in the way Tongue out

I tell you what...if I didn't have to work...then I could probably fit in a few beers everyday...

Imagine that...wake up, eat, train, eat, nap, eat, train, eat, 3 beers + Sportscenter, sleep.  Repeat that everyday.

Don't let anything get in the way of those 3 beers especially when you're cranking out 11 workouts a week.   You may have to rearrange/balance things to achieve optimal nutrition and performance benefits:

wake up, eat, 1 beer, train, eat,  1 beer, nap, eat, train, eat, 1 beer + Sportscenter, sleep.

Of course, I'm typing this after balancing things out for the day.  Laughing

2010-04-10 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Chicago
Well its 0900 on saturday and have already been up and knocked out an hour on the trainer. (I still havent replaced my brake shoes and have not given the equinox a tune up yet, its not worthy for the road yet). I am going to get my haircut now, and then a 7 mile run before work. And then as newbz said cough tonight (beers) cough. Have a great Saturday everyone and I will stop back in this evening.

2010-04-10 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Looking for some advice. Little background: I'm a total beginner. I'll be doing my 1st sprint next month.

ok-here's where I'm at with swimming.  I feel comfortable swimming the front crawl and I feel good with my breathing. Again, I use the word comfortable cause I could be doing some of it wrong, but am too new at it to really know. I swam 1500 meters yesterday in 41 minutes. So I want to improve my speed. Right now, I just swim continuously at a relaxed pace. Should I try and speed it up swimming shorter distances? If so, how many meters at a time? Anything else I should do? I've heard people talk about masters swimming. Tell me more about this. Could I join or would it just frustrate me because of my current ability?

Biking- I suck. I'm just gonna try and survive. My tri course is super hilly, so I've been pratcicing hills. I found a beginners group I can ride with next week that does 20 miles ave speed 12 mph which sounds about right for me. Let me know if you have any advice other than just riding a lot.

Running- I started the couch to 5K program in Nov. I've done 3 5ks since Jan. I finished in 36, 35, & 33 minutes. So I'm encouraged that my times are getting better. Sounds like I should be focussing on running slowly for longer distances (according to other posts). My dad, who did Oly Tris back in the day, said I should be doing some 1 min sprint intervals during these slow runs. What's your advice?

Any and all advice is appreciated. I know I'm very new and do not take offense to being corrected or told what to do (this is actually what I am looking for).

NOTE: My training logs are accurate for this past week. I'm trying to be better about paying attention to exactly how many mins/miles I do each day. In the past I've just went to the gym for "about an hour" and didn't have real accurate info. So my logs for March do not give tons of info. My April ones will be better.

Sorry about the long post. Thanks for any help.   Jackie
2010-04-10 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2781931

User image

dcon - 2010-04-10 4:28 AM
tri808 - 2010-04-10 6:23 PM
dcon - 2010-04-09 3:58 PM Good morning - at least it is here in Japan.  

Carl: nice bike and I too like the fork covers.

Art: sorry about the typo.  I'll reissue the chart in a day or two - figure better to wait in case there are other changes.

Jason: no vitamins or supplements - I think I get what I need from eating well.

Jane: I get 7 most of the time and 8 every once in a while.   

I went to Sendai when I was vacationing in Japan last year.  We were only in Sendai for a day...but if I remember correctly, that's where we took the tour where you can go on the boats and feed the Sea Gulls shrimp chips while they are flying.  Then they take you to that temple with the tall trees and the stone sculptures...can't remember what it was called though.

I also remember it being very windy and very cold compared to the rest of Japan...we were there pretty much one year from now...mid April 09

hmmm....maybe you were at Matsushima which is very close to Sendai.  There is a temple or two there with the tall cedar trees along the walk.    There are also lots of small islands covered in pine trees (Matsushima translates to Pine Tree Island).   I have never been on a tour where you feed the sea gulls.

Anyway, I'd rather be where you are (Hawaii for those who haven't checked his profile) ...at least from November-April.  Aw heck, January-December would actually be better.

Yeah...Matsushima...that's it.  But feeding the birds (I don't think they're sea gulls...but some type of sea bird) is so cool.  You're going on a boat about 15 mph and they literally fly up to the back of the boat...(about 150 of them) and can eat it right out of your hand.
2010-04-10 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2781835

User image

jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-10 2:40 AM
tri808 - 2010-04-10 4:49 AM I got off work early today and got in the ocean for a swim.  Did a 2000 meter route that I started doing a couple weeks ago, and shaved off nearly 4 minutes off my first time.  I think at least 2 minutes were due to just swimming straighter.  It also put me at and even 2 min per 100yd average...hoping to get that down under 2 min per 100 meters by next month.

That's a awesome improvement!  I'd be psyched.  Did you start doing any sighting drills?

I don't think my sighting "skills" have improved...I sight every 6th stroke...but I was tending to drift to the right...so everytime I stroked I made an effort to go a little to the left...and low and behold...when I sighted...I was on track...instead of 6 strokes, sight...whoops...30 degree turn to the left...6 strokes, sight...whoops, 30 degree turn again...LOL
2010-04-10 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2781942

User image

dcon - 2010-04-10 4:40 AM

I tell you what...if I didn't have to work...then I could probably fit in a few beers everyday...

Imagine that...wake up, eat, train, eat, nap, eat, train, eat, 3 beers + Sportscenter, sleep.  Repeat that everyday.

Don't let anything get in the way of those 3 beers especially when you're cranking out 11 workouts a week.   You may have to rearrange/balance things to achieve optimal nutrition and performance benefits:

wake up, eat, 1 beer, train, eat,  1 beer, nap, eat, train, eat, 1 beer + Sportscenter, sleep.

Oh trust me...on weekends...I do try to play that balance...but now that I work m-f...I can't do that anymore...unlike the college days...
2010-04-10 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
Good morning everyone!

Just got home from a 10k race.  new PR for me!!  54:51 (8:51 pace)....my previous PR was two years ago at 59:59 (i was SO glad at that point i beat an hour!!)  anyway...i wanted to get a bit of advice...here is my lap data from the race:

Lap Data
LapTimeDistancePace/SpeedAHRMHR
108m 22s 1.00 miles08m 22s /mile  
208m 35s 1.00 miles08m 35s /mile  
308m 34s 1.00 miles08m 34s /mile  
408m 44s 1.00 miles08m 44s /mile  
509m 08s 1.00 miles09m 08s /mile  
609m 21s 1.00 miles09m 21s /mile  
702m 00s 0.23 miles08m 38s /mile

I'm not a great runner (obviously), but i don't like that 9:21 mile there at mile 6!  and no, it wasn't because of a hill or anything. does it seem like i am starting too fast?  If this was your lap data, how would you analyze it?   How would you stratagize your next run, as far as pacing, to bring the total time down?  Thanks for any advice, i've never been a great runner, and never had any sort of coaching, so any advice is more than welcome!

2010-04-10 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2782084

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
tri808 - 2010-04-10 10:50 AM
dcon - 2010-04-10 4:40 AM

Oh trust me...on weekends...I do try to play that balance...but now that I work m-f...I can't do that anymore...unlike the college days...

LOL...I too can no longer drink like I use to. I teach 3rd grade, and believe me I would love to have a beer mid-day, it would probably make the kids more enjoyable. Lots of the posts make me miss college too.
2010-04-10 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2782116

User image

Champion
FOr the 10k race, it looks like you started a bit faster than your fitness allows, OR, you are simply not used to what it should feel like to run hard for that long (either one could do it).,

To the poster(s) asking about swimming, once you have your form down, or even somewhat down, you need to start swimming faster to get faster, just doing easy distance is not going to do much at all for your speed in the water outside of comfort.

You need to start mixing up faster intervals on equal rest 1:1 ratio or there abouts (if you are swimming 4x per week do this every 4-5 workotus), some threshold work (around race pace on very short rest), this would be the 2-3 workouts per week.

If you feel the need maybe keep one longer steady swim in there every 4-5 workouts as well.

2010-04-10 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2782011

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
jpbis26 - 2010-04-10 10:42 AM Looking for some advice. Little background: I'm a total beginner. I'll be doing my 1st sprint next month.

ok-here's where I'm at with swimming.  I feel comfortable swimming the front crawl and I feel good with my breathing. Again, I use the word comfortable cause I could be doing some of it wrong, but am too new at it to really know. I swam 1500 meters yesterday in 41 minutes. So I want to improve my speed. Right now, I just swim continuously at a relaxed pace. Should I try and speed it up swimming shorter distances? If so, how many meters at a time? Anything else I should do? I've heard people talk about masters swimming. Tell me more about this. Could I join or would it just frustrate me because of my current ability?

How many days a week are you swimming?  If you can get three days in, I would do two days of a warm up, then an interval set, like 5 100's at 85%, then a cool down.  And then the third day, do a warm-up, then like 2 600's at 75%, with 1 min rest in between, and then 8 50's, then a cool down of like 150-200 easy.

Biking- I suck. I'm just gonna try and survive. My tri course is super hilly, so I've been pratcicing hills. I found a beginners group I can ride with next week that does 20 miles ave speed 12 mph which sounds about right for me. Let me know if you have any advice other than just riding a lot.

You don't suck, you are biking at your CURRENT ability.  We were all that speed at one point.  The cool thing and the crappy thing about biking is the way to get better is to bike more.  But the key thing here is to bike more at an aerobic pace, so don't just go out and do 60 miles and not sweat, because that's not going to do it.  You need to start out doing those 20 miles about three times a week and keep your heart rate up, but not through the roof so you don't feel like you can finish.

Running- I started the couch to 5K program in Nov. I've done 3 5ks since Jan. I finished in 36, 35, & 33 minutes. So I'm encouraged that my times are getting better. Sounds like I should be focussing on running slowly for longer distances (according to other posts). My dad, who did Oly Tris back in the day, said I should be doing some 1 min sprint intervals during these slow runs. What's your advice?

NO SPEEDWORK/INTERVALS!  Just run easy 3-5 times a week.  IMHO this isn't like biking either, i can't just go out and hammer the run like I can on the bike.  My body just won't accept the stress or whatever.  I can't stress that enough.  Whew!

2010-04-10 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2782090

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
BoobieDr - 2010-04-10 9:59 AM Good morning everyone!

Just got home from a 10k race.  new PR for me!!  54:51 (8:51 pace)....my previous PR was two years ago at 59:59 (i was SO glad at that point i beat an hour!!)  anyway...i wanted to get a bit of advice...here is my lap data from the race:

Lap Data
LapTimeDistancePace/SpeedAHRMHR
108m 22s 1.00 miles08m 22s /mile  
208m 35s 1.00 miles08m 35s /mile  
308m 34s 1.00 miles08m 34s /mile  
408m 44s 1.00 miles08m 44s /mile  
509m 08s 1.00 miles09m 08s /mile  
609m 21s 1.00 miles09m 21s /mile  
702m 00s 0.23 miles08m 38s /mile

I'm not a great runner (obviously), but i don't like that 9:21 mile there at mile 6!  and no, it wasn't because of a hill or anything. does it seem like i am starting too fast?  If this was your lap data, how would you analyze it?   How would you stratagize your next run, as far as pacing, to bring the total time down?  Thanks for any advice, i've never been a great runner, and never had any sort of coaching, so any advice is more than welcome!

I'm not a great runner, but the biggest thing I see in your data is a increase in time with each mile, to where you want the opposite, or descending order. Start slower to finish faster is what I'm getting at.  if you aren't able to push steady throughout a race, starting a little slower and increasing towards the backend of the race should help as long as it's an incremental pace and not just at one time.  make sense???

but the fact you PR'd the race is great! so you obviously you are doing well with your training! Congrats!

Edited by barelfly 2010-04-10 11:42 AM
2010-04-10 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2782090

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Doc, that's a great run man.  I'm not going to give you advice because I am not a runner.  All I have to say is good job.

2010-04-10 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
thanks guys....

I have been pretty bad about keeping my logs up to date, but i recently got a garmin that i can upload the stuff, so hopefully i will get better about it!

My next race is in 2 weeks, a 1/2 mary.  i'm hoping to keep about a 10:00 pace...

i will try to keep the first 6.5 slower than the last 6.5....we shall see how that goes  
2010-04-10 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Jonathan

Thanks for the advice, especially the swimming. 3xs a week is very doable for me. I'll do what you suggested
2010-04-10 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2782177

User image

Champion
BoobieDr - 2010-04-10 11:14 AM

thanks guys....

I have been pretty bad about keeping my logs up to date, but i recently got a garmin that i can upload the stuff, so hopefully i will get better about it!

My next race is in 2 weeks, a 1/2 mary. i'm hoping to keep about a 10:00 pace...

i will try to keep the first 6.5 slower than the last 6.5....we shall see how that goes

try aiming for the first 7-9 miles around your training pace or just faster, then open it up.
get comfortable, loosened up, and moving at a decent clip, so one those last 4-5 miles roll around you are really ready to go. the first half to 2/3 is going to set you up for a strong run and good finish.
2010-04-10 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2782190

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
newbz - 2010-04-10 12:22 PM
BoobieDr - 2010-04-10 11:14 AM thanks guys....

My next race is in 2 weeks, a 1/2 mary. i'm hoping to keep about a 10:00 pace...

try aiming for the first 7-9 miles around your training pace or just faster, then open it up. get comfortable, loosened up, and moving at a decent clip, so one those last 4-5 miles roll around you are really ready to go. the first half to 2/3 is going to set you up for a strong run and good finish.

that sounds like a doable plan, thanks David  I don't think i'm going to have trouble PR'ing my 1/2 mary time (my fastest is 2h:29min).  But this is the most training i have put in consistantly for one, but i also have really decreased my pace overall, and would like to hit a goal time, rather than just go run it to do it.  So i think running between 9:40-10:00 for the first 7-9 miles will be my goal, and then turn on the jets!    can't wait to do it and let you all know how it goes! 
2010-04-10 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2782239

User image

Champion
BoobieDr - 2010-04-10 12:39 PM

newbz - 2010-04-10 12:22 PM
BoobieDr - 2010-04-10 11:14 AM thanks guys....

try aiming for the first 7-9 miles around your training pace or just faster, then open it up. get comfortable, loosened up, and moving at a decent clip, so one those last 4-5 miles roll around you are really ready to go. the first half to 2/3 is going to set you up for a strong run and good finish.

that sounds like a doable plan, thanks David I don't think i'm going to have trouble PR'ing my 1/2 mary time (my fastest is 2h:29min). But this is the most training i have put in consistantly for one, but i also have really decreased my pace overall, and would like to hit a goal time, rather than just go run it to do it. So i think running between 9:40-10:00 for the first 7-9 miles will be my goal, and then turn on the jets! can't wait to do it and let you all know how it goes!

Sounds good.

I'm thinking of running my first in the next month or so if i can find one close that fits into the schedule as well. I have a rough idea where times should/could fall but not much more than that.

planning on racing that same way, hardish for the first 7-8 then picking it up from there on in and hopefully ending somewhere around 1:20. we'll see though.

2010-04-10 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2781590

User image

Bend, OR
carlwithac - 2010-04-09 9:19 PM Two of my favorite things to do are sleep and train.  Everything else just gets in the way Tongue out

Oh!! I can totally relate! I loooove sleeping, and training and I would add EATING!! 
2010-04-10 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2781798

User image

Bend, OR
tri808 - 2010-04-10 3:49 AM I got off work early today and got in the ocean for a swim.  Did a 2000 meter route that I started doing a couple weeks ago, and shaved off nearly 4 minutes off my first time.  I think at least 2 minutes were due to just swimming straighter.  It also put me at and even 2 min per 100yd average...hoping to get that down under 2 min per 100 meters by next month.

That is so cool that you can just "get in the ocean for a swim!!"  I am waaay envious!
2010-04-10 2:09 PM

User image

Bend, OR
Afternoon everyone! (I'm CDT, insert your own greeting for your respective timezone)

Just finished a great country ride in Lancaster, TX.  It was gorgeous weather and the bluebonnets are in bloom, yay! I very happy to report that I actually got aero 2x!! Only about a min each, but I'm taking baby steps! Yay!  I just feel so out of control while aero.  Does anyone have any advice for getting used to riding aero?

BTW Doc, nice work on that 10K!  I would be ecstatic with those results! 
2010-04-10 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Just found a pool I can swim at, that works with my schedule!  Laughing
I plan on swimming 3 times per week to start and then we will see from there.
only 15 minutes from where I live!

David
I should start building volume now correct?
Working on form and technique and getting distance in??
You just spoke about mixing in faster intervals, I should wait on that?
Thanks in advance.

Doc I would trade times with you! Wink
Congrats on the personal best those are always great.
I am still over the hour and change mark, but it is coming along....
The hard part is I remember what I used to be able to do in my younger days, and now I am far from that. I just need to remember patience!

Edited by trisagain 2010-04-10 2:13 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105