BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2010-05-06 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2840964

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED
slornow - 2010-05-06 10:24 AM

Michael-How you getting along with the injury?

Randy

I was allowed up today -- just in time for a day-long faculty meeting.  Yeeha.  We're on lunch-break now.

But seriously, it feels good to be up.  Walking is not really painful -- just a slight jab when I step.  It is much less pain than I had during the race, so things are moving in the right direction pretty quickly.  Obviously no running yet.  I'll be allowed to try swimming next week, and we take it from there.  I have another scan next week, and apparently that will be important for the medium-term prognosis.

I hope everyone is doing well!  Back to work now...

2010-05-06 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2841312

User image

Regular
Michael,

I'm glad that you are up and about.  I'm sending my good karma for a quick recovery - just take your time.  It's definitely much better to come back stronger and later than weaker and earlier.

Also, here is some motivation for you while you are recuperating:
http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-440422?hpt=C2

It's a psuedo contest to see if a professional triathlete can beat a Suburu STi: He rides down hill on his bike and then drives back uphill in the car.  I won't spoil the ending, but it is an interesting idea to consider.

I'm making my final preparations for this weekend's race.  I went to an OWS clinic last night and had a challenging time with it.  I was actually surprised how warm the wetsuit / swim socks / swimcap kept me. 

The hard part was that we were swimming directly into a constant 15 mph wind with a one foot chop.  I made it to my third breath before breathing in a mouth full of water.  I just couldn't catch my breath after that and spent most of remainder on my back.  Given the early morning race start, I'm hoping that there won't be too much chop on Sunday.  I'm also going to concentrate on being relaxed and take my time - It's only 1/4 mile and I can do that in my sleep in the pool. 

I'm open for suggestions on coping with the start, chop, and OWS in general. 

Thanks again to all of you for the ongoing encouragement. 
- Mark
2010-05-06 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2842155

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
OneFastMule - 2010-05-06 4:27 PM Michael,

I'm glad that you are up and about.  I'm sending my good karma for a quick recovery - just take your time.  It's definitely much better to come back stronger and later than weaker and earlier.

You all have got me figured out.  Yes, coming back slowly will be the biggest challenge.  Thanks for the well wishes.

I'm making my final preparations for this weekend's race.  I went to an OWS clinic last night and had a challenging time with it.  I was actually surprised how warm the wetsuit / swim socks / swimcap kept me. 

The hard part was that we were swimming directly into a constant 15 mph wind with a one foot chop.  I made it to my third breath before breathing in a mouth full of water.  I just couldn't catch my breath after that and spent most of remainder on my back.  Given the early morning race start, I'm hoping that there won't be too much chop on Sunday.  I'm also going to concentrate on being relaxed and take my time - It's only 1/4 mile and I can do that in my sleep in the pool. 

I'm open for suggestions on coping with the start, chop, and OWS in general. 

Well, one thing that you have going for you now is that you've done it once.  I've found that the best way to get better at transferring pool training to OWS is just to do OWS, preferably in tough conditions.  Looks like you've done that.

Just start a little behind the main pack, stay relaxed, and focus on long smooth strokes, just as in the pool.  Don't think twice about body contact.  It'll happen.  Just keep swimming and keep your rhythm.  Trust your training.  You are ready.  If you can do it in the sleep at the pool, you can do it awake in the lake!

You're probably right that conditions will be calmer in the morning.  If they aren't and the chop freaks you out, try some breast stroke to get your head back into it, or flip onto your back as you did in practice.  Do whatever works!

You'll do fine.  I look forward to hearing about it.

2010-05-07 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2775149

User image

Veteran
DC
Mark, Stu...

Best of luck at your races this weekend... and more importantly, have fun!!

Looking forward to reading your race reports.
2010-05-07 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2844898

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good luck Mark and Stu!  Hope all goes well.

Randy

2010-05-07 4:42 PM
in reply to: #2845016

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slornow - 2010-05-07 5:36 PM

Good luck Mark and Stu!  Hope all goes well.

Randy

x3!  Have  a great time!

2010-05-07 10:45 PM
in reply to: #2845016

User image

Expert
Salem
Mark and Stu,

Good luck to you both.  Can't wait to hear your race reports.

Brian
2010-05-07 10:54 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Michael or any one else for that matter,

How much can I expect to lose if I sit back and not train the rest of this week.  I am in a recovery week anyway.  The reason is my right knee is bothering me some going up and down stairs and some just walking.  I think it is due to a change in where I have been running.  I started going back to a park to run with more hills and uneven ground (barkdust and grass in parts.  I think it has effected by knee.  I haven't changed much of anything else.  Anyway, my plan to to I am just to keep icing my knee and maybe some heat for the remainder of this weekend and see how it is on Monday.  I am four weeks out from my first Oly (three hard training weeks and a taper) and I rather be slower than not able to compete.  I could do it now if I had to, but my knee would be awefully sore at the end.

Thoughts?
2010-05-07 11:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Hey everyone. Just got back from New York City where I was on a buying trip for the company. I've been trying to get caught up on the posts. Michael, geez, a fractured pelvis? I'm sorry to here it. You had such a great start to the season. I hope you're not layed up too long.

Training kinda sucked this week. I was hoping to at least to get my running in, but it turned out I got one three mile run in. My wife was with me on the trip and we had a great time. I was hoping to get some training in when I was not meeting with importers. I felt guilty getting training in when my wife was so excited about having fun with here husband in NYC.

Needless to say it turned into a recovery week. Although, it did feel like I walked 50 miles this week. I saw the scale in the bathroom and shuttered. Maybe I'll have the guts in the morning to actually get on it. lol

Phil

2010-05-08 2:48 AM
in reply to: #2845495

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Thanks for the well wishes everyone... off I go!  Water temp is a balmy 71 (historically high).  Air will be similar.  Thunderstorm chance is down from what they said earlier... wind picking up from 10mph to 20mph during the race.  Hopefully not too choppy in the swim and holds off a bit for the bike.  Just finish and hit the cut-off times is my goal... see ya!
2010-05-08 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Good luck Stu and Mark!

2010-05-08 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2838008

User image

Expert
slornow - 2010-05-05 9:42 AM

Good morning all-there is an article in this week's Sports Illustrated that discusses the students in the cross country program at the McCallie School in Chattanooga where my son is a sophmore.  His name is Gil Walton and he is mentioned and quoted.  It's an interesting situation and a well written article-thought you might find it interesting.  Of course, I am a proud Dad!  Wish I had his 5k time

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1169181/index.htm

Randy

Randy- you should be very proud- this was a great article.
2010-05-08 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2845477

User image

Expert
TriGuyBri - 2010-05-07 11:54 PM Michael or any one else for that matter,

How much can I expect to lose if I sit back and not train the rest of this week.  I am in a recovery week anyway.  The reason is my right knee is bothering me some going up and down stairs and some just walking.  I think it is due to a change in where I have been running.  I started going back to a park to run with more hills and uneven ground (barkdust and grass in parts.  I think it has effected by knee.  I haven't changed much of anything else.  Anyway, my plan to to I am just to keep icing my knee and maybe some heat for the remainder of this weekend and see how it is on Monday.  I am four weeks out from my first Oly (three hard training weeks and a taper) and I rather be slower than not able to compete.  I could do it now if I had to, but my knee would be awefully sore at the end.

Thoughts?

Based solely on my recent experience- I'd say play it safe. It's getter to miss a few days, or even a week, instead of 6 weeks of recovery.
2010-05-08 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2845495

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2010-05-08 12:16 AM Hey everyone. Just got back from New York City where I was on a buying trip for the company. I've been trying to get caught up on the posts. Michael, geez, a fractured pelvis? I'm sorry to here it. You had such a great start to the season. I hope you're not layed up too long.

Training kinda sucked this week. I was hoping to at least to get my running in, but it turned out I got one three mile run in. My wife was with me on the trip and we had a great time. I was hoping to get some training in when I was not meeting with importers. I felt guilty getting training in when my wife was so excited about having fun with here husband in NYC.

Needless to say it turned into a recovery week. Although, it did feel like I walked 50 miles this week. I saw the scale in the bathroom and shuttered. Maybe I'll have the guts in the morning to actually get on it. lol

Phil

Hey, it happens.  Don't sweat it.  Family first.  I hope you had some good times in NYC.
2010-05-08 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2845745

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slow turtle - 2010-05-08 10:15 AM
TriGuyBri - 2010-05-07 11:54 PM Michael or any one else for that matter,

Thoughts?

Based solely on my recent experience- I'd say play it safe. It's getter to miss a few days, or even a week, instead of 6 weeks of recovery.

x2.  I'd take this week off running and see what you can do next week.  Is biking OK?  If you can bike or swim or pool run then you'll lose almost zero run fitness over the course of a week off.

I had a knee surgery a while back with an ortho who works mostly with professional athletes and dancers, and he (and even more so his assistant, who is also a very talented runner) REALLY worked with me on how to distinguish pain that is truly serious from pain that is 'a natural part of recovery'.  One rule of thumb that he gave me is that if the pain forces you to change your gait, then it is probably 'bad pain'.  Another is that pain that lingers long after you are done (as opposed to going away 15-60 minutes after you are done) is probably 'bad pain'.

The guy I'm working with now (different guy -- he does hips not knees) says more or less the same thing (and chastised me for knowing better when clearly, last weekend, the pain was affecting my gait... yeah, I'm not always the best at applying what I know).

Anyway, short answer is, as Heidi says, better to heal up now and lose a week than to exacerbate it now and lose 6 weeks.
2010-05-08 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Maybe we should rename this group to "Experior's Injured Group". Sending healing vibes to all injured.

I had a great week getting out to do workouts, 7 sessions (2 bikes, 2 runs and 3 swims). I hope to replicate same this week. It supposed to be cold and wet all week so most of my sessions will be indoor. If I get a chance this week I'll be picking up a pair of clipless pedals with shoes.

Can't wait hear from Stu and Mark.

2010-05-08 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey - I'm not injured (yet) although I was running next to a rails to trails on Thursday during lunch and stepped in a 12 inch hole that was about 18 inches deep. It was like a trap door opened up from under me.

I was very lucky and only ended up with roughed up knees!

2010-05-08 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2846043

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sstucker - 2010-05-08 3:42 PM Maybe we should rename this group to "Experior's Injured Group". Sending healing vibes to all injured. I had a great week getting out to do workouts, 7 sessions (2 bikes, 2 runs and 3 swims). I hope to replicate same this week. It supposed to be cold and wet all week so most of my sessions will be indoor. If I get a chance this week I'll be picking up a pair of clipless pedals with shoes. Can't wait hear from Stu and Mark.

Nice job last week Sylvain.  It looks like you turned the corner.  Keep it up!

I won't be injured for long.  A week mostly off my feet has done wonders.  Assuming scan goes well on Monday, I'll be swimming next week, and maybe pool running too.
2010-05-08 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2846057

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
microspawn - 2010-05-08 3:52 PM Hey - I'm not injured (yet) although I was running next to a rails to trails on Thursday during lunch and stepped in a 12 inch hole that was about 18 inches deep. It was like a trap door opened up from under me. I was very lucky and only ended up with roughed up knees!

Oh, ouch.  Glad you're OK.

2010-05-08 5:00 PM
in reply to: #2846094

User image

Expert
Just got back.  I was humbled by the distance, course, and conditions.  More impressed than ever with Michael and James.  But I finished before the cutoff time... 7:10 or something... LOL... I didn't even care when I finished what my time was, just wanted off that run course!  It was an experience... trees falling across the road, nasty wind.  Will post more soon... I'll put together a draft race report later after a couple of hours flat on my back.

No more injuries James... time to get this group healed up!

-Stu
2010-05-08 5:16 PM
in reply to: #2846176

User image

Expert
juneapple - 2010-05-08 6:00 PM Just got back.  I was humbled by the distance, course, and conditions.  More impressed than ever with Michael and James.  But I finished before the cutoff time... 7:10 or something... LOL... I didn't even care when I finished what my time was, just wanted off that run course!  It was an experience... trees falling across the road, nasty wind.  Will post more soon... I'll put together a draft race report later after a couple of hours flat on my back.

No more injuries James... time to get this group healed up!

-Stu

Congratulations!!

2010-05-08 6:07 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Way to go Stu!!!!!

Randy

2010-05-08 8:53 PM

User image

Expert
Here's the draft of the race report.  I think you can all see it while still in draft mode.  Will have to fill in times after results are available.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-view-container.asp?raceid=146142

2010-05-09 6:21 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Woo hoo!  Nice job Stu.  I was looking for your results yesterday, but Setup seems a bit slow-poky getting them up.  Odd, because normally they are super-fast.

Anyway, I look forward to the report.
2010-05-09 7:03 AM
in reply to: #2846470

User image

Extreme Veteran
juneapple - 2010-05-08 8:53 PM

Here's the draft of the race report.  I think you can all see it while still in draft mode.  Will have to fill in times after results are available.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-view-container.asp?raceid=146142

Oops - we can't see the draft race report but good job. It is a tough distance and you made it!!!

I think everytime I have done a half iron distance race (twice) I actually say "Never again" when I finish. This year it was caught on video. But the pain and effort soon vanish and you want to do it again! You want to get faster!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40