BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-05-15 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2860467

Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED
Hi Janet,

No strong opinions on the devices but I was also looking at a Garmin.  I may not need one this year but having something with GPS that can track my distances with times would be great for both the bike and run training.  For swimming we have a timing clock to check times so I do not wear anything for the pool.  Right now, my $25 Timex Triathlon is doing the basic job.  If you do purchase, check Overstock.com.  They had Garmins cheaper than anywhere else I have found yet.  I do believe these are the previous years models.

2010-05-15 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2860467

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Hi Janet, I too have the Garmin 305 and haven't had any issues to date.  I've had it for about 3 mos - so that may not be enough time compared to your experience.  I had a horizontal line of pixels die - thought I'd get this fixed after the season.  When I researched the issue the Gamin 305 was the best bang for the buck.  I've heard that the water proof 400 series is difficult to operate the bezel controls when your in race mode.  It's unfortunate that you've had issues.  I've had other GPS devices from Garmin and their customer service has been awesome - so maybe give them a call and negotiate.  I too have the Timex IronMan for the water.  Sorry, not much help.  I wonder what Hilde uses to log all her swimming activity - she has a very detailed report.
When I used to scuba dive a lot taking a sudafed helped with ear/sinus/headache issues.  Could the issue also be that you've gotten some water in the ear and haven't gotten it out beforehand... maybe some swimmers ear, peroxide or alcohol may help?
Hope you find your answers! 
2010-05-15 2:21 PM
in reply to: #2778561

User image

Veteran
I have the Garmin 405 and love it. I have had no problems with the bezel being difficult to operate. Hope you find something you like!
2010-05-15 8:04 PM

User image

Expert
I've got a 405, too, and like it-- once I figured out how the bezel worked, everything's been fine so far (I stink at trying to guesstimate distance, so the GPS has been a real boon).

Dunno about the sinus headache-- does this happen only in the pool? Or in OWS as well? (I'm wondering if it's from the chlorine, for instance...)

Sending out another cheer for all the MMM racers-- yeeeeaaaaahhhh!!!!Laughing
2010-05-16 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2861052

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
TAMMY is offically a TRIATHLETE!! 

We just got back from our Tri and she did awesome!!  I lost track of her during her swim (her wave went off before mine), but I had expected to catch up with her on the bike, but she was having none of that, she tore that course up!  I got to T2 and her bike was back and she was gone and I finally saw her on the out and back (I was on the "out", she was on the "back").  So she made it to the finish line before me and was able to cheer me in.  We had a great time and she is officially an addict....  you can read my race report if you go to my blog, but I placed 5th in my AG out of 32, and 53rd out of 426 overall.  There were some monster women in my AG!!

Edit for spelling...

Edited by hildekq 2010-05-16 3:32 PM
2010-05-16 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2861705

User image

Expert
WOO-HOO!!!! Way to go, Tammy, and way to ROCK the place, Hilde! Nothing like that post-race feeling, is there? Congratulations, and be sure to bask in your well-deserved glory!

Thanks to everyone for the inspires while my folks were here-- we all enjoyed the visit. Getting back to some training today actually helped me get over the let-down of their leaving...Smile

Once again, MMMs ROCK!! Have a great week, everyone!

Alex

2010-05-16 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Way to go Hilde and Tammy! YIPPEE on a job well done! I can't wait to go and read the race reports

I did an awesome brick today (in my training log) and I'm still flying high! It was my first long bike done solo - it was nice to be able to go "my speed" and see what felt good.

Hope the rest of you had a great weekend! Did we have other racers besides Hilde and Tammy?
2010-05-16 7:42 PM
in reply to: #2861981

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Kory (kellekl) was also racing, but in ALASKA!!  Not sure when she's coming home, so it may be a day or two before we hear how she did. 
2010-05-17 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
:wave: Hi everyone! Off to a good start this Monday? I hope so! I had a good run and have some lifting and spinning planned for tomorrow I gotta get to bed now - getting enough sleep is definitely where I'm lacking in my training regimen!
2010-05-18 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2864653

User image

Extreme Veteran
Off to a good start here with a bike and a swim. This week starts my Team in Training group workouts- swim tomorrow, track workout Thursday and group ride Saturday. I'm so excited to train with a group (and a coach)!
2010-05-18 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2865377

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I just got done checking everyone's logs and I have to say that I LOVE MY MMM PEEPS!!!  You guys are the best... I couldn't have asked for a better group of people, you are all so self-motivated I dont' have to do anything!  This has been a wonderful experience for me, you don't know how I second guessed myself whether or not I should do the mentor thing and I am so glad I did because I have made so many new BT friends!  Sending huge hugs to all of you!!

2010-05-18 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
((HUGS)) back to you Hilde! Thanks for starting the group, it has been fun making new BT friends!
2010-05-18 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2866943

User image

Regular
hildekq - 2010-05-18 7:41 PM I just got done checking everyone's logs and I have to say that I LOVE MY MMM PEEPS!!!  You guys are the best... I couldn't have asked for a better group of people, you are all so self-motivated I dont' have to do anything!  This has been a wonderful experience for me, you don't know how I second guessed myself whether or not I should do the mentor thing and I am so glad I did because I have made so many new BT friends!  Sending huge hugs to all of you!!

You're am awesome and entertaining mentor.  You must be a hoot in person 
2010-05-19 6:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
hildekq - 2010-05-18 7:41 PM I just got done checking everyone's logs and I have to say that I LOVE MY MMM PEEPS!!!  You guys are the best... I couldn't have asked for a better group of people, you are all so self-motivated I dont' have to do anything!  This has been a wonderful experience for me, you don't know how I second guessed myself whether or not I should do the mentor thing and I am so glad I did because I have made so many new BT friends!  Sending huge hugs to all of you!!

Hilde, YOU ROCK GIRL!!!  I'm so glad you decided to mentor this group!!  I've gotten so much more out of it than I originally thought.  It's your leadership that we are all thankful for and we don't want to disappoint the "boss"!!!  I agree this group is fantastic....I'm so happy I found it and was allowed to participate!  Sending a big ***BEAR HUG*** you're way.....I think the rest of the group will probably pile on too!!!

On a serious note - where the heck is Jordie????  Anyone heard from her???  This is uncharacteristic of her - I really hope all is well.  Maybe she won the lottery and was able to buy that physical fitness pill and don't need us anymore??? 
2010-05-19 6:22 AM
in reply to: #2867509

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Where the heck IS Jordie??  I know she had finals, but maybe she is travelling or something.  Just a good idea to either post in your blog or over here if you are going to be gone for awhile and when you expect to be back.  This is your Mommy talking!!
2010-05-19 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
hildekq - 2010-05-18 6:41 PM I just got done checking everyone's logs and I have to say that I LOVE MY MMM PEEPS!!!  You guys are the best... I couldn't have asked for a better group of people, you are all so self-motivated I dont' have to do anything!  This has been a wonderful experience for me, you don't know how I second guessed myself whether or not I should do the mentor thing and I am so glad I did because I have made so many new BT friends!  Sending huge hugs to all of you!!

Huge hugs right back your way, Hilde! This group ROCKS, and it's so much fun keeping up with what everyone else is doing-- definitely inspirational!

FYI, I'll be leaving sometime around Memorial Day to drive down to California (Route 66!), so may be less in touch for a few days after that while I get there. I'll be sure to post on my blog and/or here once the definite date is decided on...

2010-05-19 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

lol - see, I told you that you'd have nothing to worry about...and I also told everyone how great you are. 

Is this what it is like to feel smart?  I kind of like it!  I do believe I shall enjoy it until my boss gets back from lunch and starts hounding me for stuff. 
2010-05-19 11:11 PM
in reply to: #2867523

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just back from my first team swim practice and feeling very discouraged. We spent the whole session doing the kick drills that I've avoided in my own practice because I suck at them. There were the superman drills where I expended an enormous amount of energy to go absolutely nowhere, followed by the side-kicking drills which were an exercising in drowning. And the real kicker was that even in this group of absolute beginners who asked questions like "how do you put on a swim cap?" and "are my goggles upside down?," I was DEAD LAST. I've never worked so hard to suck so bad at anything! 

Sorry for all the whining, just feeling a little pathetic right now... 
2010-05-20 12:10 AM

User image

Sorry to hear your first practice was so rough, Turtle.  The good news is, you can only get better from here!  Plus, it sounds like this was a great place for you to start.  The more you work on the areas you are weakest in, the stronger you become overall.   It's not going to happen unless you meet your weakness head-on and consciously work on that particular aspect.  

As for me and my problems, once again I have managed to work far too late which means no workout today and no time in the morning because I will be too tired to get up in 5 hours.  I have got to get a schedule set this weekend, or I am never going to improve.  I have been running the same 0.6 mile stretch up and back for what seems like a month, and it's not getting any better.  And that is not going to have me in any condition to run a 3 mile race this Sunday.  But I paid for it and I'm gonna do it.  Based on my lack of consistent preparation, I have three simple goals for this race:  1) have fun; 2) finish and 3) get over the walls.  I'm not too worried about the rest of the obstacles.  Besides, most of them appear to be near the end of the race, so I have to make it TO them first. 
2010-05-20 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2870023

User image

Extreme Veteran
Question for you swimmers: with a pull buoy, are you faster than normal freestyle, slower, or about the same? I timed myself with the buoy today, and my 100 time was 10-15 seconds faster- is that normal? I know my kick is really bad; this makes it look like it might be counterproductive. I always suspected I'd be better off just dragging my legs behind me!
2010-05-20 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2872155

User image

Expert
I think it's pretty common for people to go faster with a pull buoy-- it certainly helps with flotation, after all, and the extra buoyancy makes people lighter and thus faster, I'd guess. (I certainly go faster with one, though I've never timed myself.)

Keep at it, Turtle-- I bet you'll improve by leaps and bounds!

2010-05-20 5:33 PM
in reply to: #2872237

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I go slower or the same with a pull buoy, but I don't have any problems with my legs sinking, I must be naturally buoyant, ha ha!  I have a decent enough kick, not great, but not bad either, so I can swim faster than I can pull with the pull buoy.  I think a lot of people are faster with it though, so yes Turtle, that's normal!!
2010-05-20 5:56 PM

Veteran
I too am faster with the pull buoy and I also have a sucky kick. I find that using it really allows me to work on balance, breathing on both sides and rotation, since I don't have to use all that energy kicking and trying to stay on the surface.
-k
2010-05-20 6:08 PM
in reply to: #2872155

Hey Turtle, 

Keep the faith on the swim!  It takes some time but it will come.  Trust me, the kickboard drills are a real pain but they do pay dividends.  I have been at them for 2 months.  I need to use fins to stay afloat but I am making progress and you will too!  Don't let yourself get down about this.  I feel this way about running.  I now know why world class runners weigh less than 350! Wink

For the pull bouy, if you body position was not optimal, it will certainly improve your times.  I have been working with one for about 1 month.  I am certainly faster with the bouy as my body position is still less than optimal.  The improvement in my body position has decreased my 50 times significantly.

Keep working on the kick and body position in the water.  If you keep working at it, it will slowly improve.  The kick also helps improve your cardio and muscle response so the effort is well worth the time investment.  During races, you can decide whether or not to kick based on where you are at that time. 

Keep on kicking!

Carl
2010-05-20 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Hang in there turtle - you'll see improvements as you keep working at it! You CAN do it!

As for the pulling vs. swimming - I am definitely faster swimming than pulling even though I have a pretty slow kick when swimming. I think, as others have stated, that it all depends on your body position in the water.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41