BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's mentor group is Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2010-07-21 6:14 PM
in reply to: #2995884

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Subject: RE: BamaDC's mentor group is Closed!
BamaDC - 2010-07-21 6:40 PM
cornfed - 2010-07-21 8:15 AM
cornfed - 2010-07-12 11:13 PM Mark,

My weightloss has stalled out.  I want to get serious and get things back on track but I'm not sure where to start.  I think you mentioned once about keeping a food journal, is that right?  Do you use the diet log here or something else?  One thing I know I need to so is figure out how many calories I should be consuming.  This sounds simple but I've had trouble doing it.  I tried cutting back while training for my marathon in the spring but I didn't have a good sense of what I need so I ended up cutting too much out and my training suffered. 

Bueller...  Bueller...

Most of the time I keep a paper log.  The BT site is great if you eat alot of premade commercial meals.  But I do alot of cooking at home and don't want to load all that info into BT.  You need to have you BMR tested, most fitness centers have a device that will give you a ball park figure.

Yeah, I found the one on here to be a little to complicated.  I cook most things myself.  Do you just look up the calorie content online?

I've tried some of the BMR and daily caloric intake online and they've been all over the place.  Are you talking about some sort of contraption like an impedance based body fact scale? 

2010-07-21 8:22 PM
in reply to: #2995880

User image

Expert
Raleigh
BamaDC - 2010-07-21 5:38 PM
titeloops - 2010-07-20 4:07 PM
BamaDC - 2010-07-20 10:32 AM
titeloops - 2010-07-19 7:46 PM i was out to dinner with some folks last night and hit the kettle one pretty hard. Then overslept this morning so it was HOT by the time i started what was supposed to be a 7 mile tempo run. Barfed at mile 2, and was reduced to run a minute/walk a minute by mile 5. At mile 6 I just quit. Note to self, no drinking the fire water the night before a long run.

Just be glad it wasn't also coming from the other end.  I doubt you carry TP on your long runs. 

How are you feeling about your IM?

I've had to run home with no socks more than once! Wink

Feeling purty good bout the IM, cept the run part. 26.2 just seems insane to me. The program I'm on actually has reduced my run volume as well, so thats freakin me out a little.

What's your race goal?

My longest run for my 2 IMs was 1.5 hours.   I'll change that up for next year, because the run is the thing holding me back.

Until your in the low 11s, "I" think you should really focus on becoming more efficent on the bike.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think I can finish in around 12 hours. Let me explain. B2B (my full IM) has a notiously fast swim. It's timed with the incoming tide. Last year they say you could have floated the course in 1:30. Lets say the swim takes me 1:30, don't think it will, but worse case scenario. The bike course is completely flat. I expect to average 19 to 20 MPH, but again, lets error on the side of caution and say i have a 6 hour bike split. The real question is the run. If I can do a 5 hour marathon, thats 12:30 plus transitions. Ofcourse it could be windy as hell and screw up my bike time, but barring blowing up on the run and having to walk the lst half I should post 12 to 13 hours. You see any flaws in my logic? I plan on doing at least a couple of 3 hour training runs. I'm feeling really strong on the bike.
2010-07-21 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2995937

User image

Expert
Raleigh
cornfed - 2010-07-21 6:14 PM

My weightloss has stalled out.  I want to get serious and get things back on track but I'm not sure where to start.  I think you mentioned once about keeping a food journal, is that right?  Do you use the diet log here or something else?  One thing I know I need to so is figure out how many calories I should be consuming.  This sounds simple but I've had trouble doing it.  I tried cutting back while training for my marathon in the spring but I didn't have a good sense of what I need so I ended up cutting too much out and my training suffered. 

Bueller...  Bueller...

Most of the time I keep a paper log.  The BT site is great if you eat alot of premade commercial meals.  But I do alot of cooking at home and don't want to load all that info into BT.  You need to have you BMR tested, most fitness centers have a device that will give you a ball park figure.

Yeah, I found the one on here to be a little to complicated.  I cook most things myself.  Do you just look up the calorie content online?

I've tried some of the BMR and daily caloric intake online and they've been all over the place.  Are you talking about some sort of contraption like an impedance based body fact scale? 

wish I could offer some advice, but I eat everything I get my hands on. Hell I'm IM training and I think I've gained a few lbs.
2010-07-21 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2995937

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

Bueller...  Bueller...

I've tried some of the BMR and daily caloric intake online and they've been all over the place.  Are you talking about some sort of contraption like an impedance based body fact scale

Yeah something similar.  The one at our gym gives you all sorts of info.
2010-07-21 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2996138

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

titeloops - 2010-07-21 8:22 PM
titeloops - 2010-07-19 7:46 PM i was out to dinner with some folks last night and hit the kettle one pretty hard. Then overslept this morning so it was HOT by the time i started what was supposed to be a 7 mile tempo run. Barfed at mile 2, and was reduced to run a minute/walk a minute by mile 5. At mile 6 I just quit. Note to self, no drinking the fire water the night before a long run.

Just be glad it wasn't also coming from the other end.  I doubt you carry TP on your long runs. 

Feeling purty good bout the IM, cept the run part. 26.2 just seems insane to me. The program I'm on actually has reduced my run volume as well, so thats freakin me out a little.

What's your race goal?

My longest run for my 2 IMs was 1.5 hours.   I'll change that up for next year, because the run is the thing holding me back.

Until your in the low 11s, "I" think you should really focus on becoming more efficent on the bike.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think I can finish in around 12 hours. Let me explain. B2B (my full IM) has a notiously fast swim. It's timed with the incoming tide. Last year they say you could have floated the course in 1:30. Lets say the swim takes me 1:30, don't think it will, but worse case scenario. The bike course is completely flat. I expect to average 19 to 20 MPH, but again, lets error on the side of caution and say i have a 6 hour bike split. The real question is the run. If I can do a 5 hour marathon, thats 12:30 plus transitions. Ofcourse it could be windy as hell and screw up my bike time, but barring blowing up on the run and having to walk the lst half I should post 12 to 13 hours. You see any flaws in my logic? I plan on doing at least a couple of 3 hour training runs. I'm feeling really strong on the bike.

Only the bike part.  I think you'll finish in the 12-13 hour range.  But where are you getting the 5:30 to 6:00 bike spilt?  Your longest ride is 80 miles @ 16+ mph.  What's your bike setup?  Felt B2 and what wheels, aero helmet?

I think your wasting your time with 3 hour training runs.  Unless your able to get 10 hours of sleep and have a great massage therapist. Maybe 2 hours tops.  If it was me, I'd do a hard 1.5 hour ride and 1.5 to 2 hours at stand alone marathon pace. 

I'm not throwing this out there for the heck of it.  My goal at IMKY next year is finish in the 10:30 to 10:45 range and run a sub 3:45.  The above mentioned is what I plan to do with long runs.  I'll top out at a 2:15 long run.

2010-07-21 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2996153

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2010-07-21 9:32 PM

Bueller...  Bueller...

I've tried some of the BMR and daily caloric intake online and they've been all over the place.  Are you talking about some sort of contraption like an impedance based body fact scale

Yeah something similar.  The one at our gym gives you all sorts of info.

I checked at they gym after my swim this evening.  No BMR measurements.  Any other ways I could get a reasonably accurate measurement?

Edited by cornfed 2010-07-21 9:50 PM

2010-07-22 6:03 AM
in reply to: #2996183

User image

Expert
Raleigh
BamaDC - 2010-07-21 8:44 PM

What's your race goal?

Only the bike part.  I think you'll finish in the 12-13 hour range.  But where are you getting the 5:30 to 6:00 bike spilt?  Your longest ride is 80 miles @ 16+ mph.  What's your bike setup?  Felt B2 and what wheels, aero helmet?

I think your wasting your time with 3 hour training runs.  Unless your able to get 10 hours of sleep and have a great massage therapist. Maybe 2 hours tops.  If it was me, I'd do a hard 1.5 hour ride and 1.5 to 2 hours at stand alone marathon pace. 

I'm not throwing this out there for the heck of it.  My goal at IMKY next year is finish in the 10:30 to 10:45 range and run a sub 3:45.  The above mentioned is what I plan to do with long runs.  I'll top out at a 2:15 long run.

Disregard that ride. That was the ride when I came on here and bitched about how slow the group was. If you look at all the other rides in my log you'll see I usually average 17.5 to 18.5 on somewhat hilly routes. I do not have race wheels or aero helmet, but have been saving some cash and plan to have both by race day. I'm hoping the combination of a flat course and several thousand dollard in race wheels will get me to a 19 MPH average. I can generally average 160 to 165 watts on trainer rides over an hour. Again, does my logice hold water or should I expect a slower bike split?
2010-07-22 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2996572

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
titeloops - 2010-07-22 6:03 AM
BamaDC - 2010-07-21 8:44 PM

What's your race goal?

Disregard that ride. That was the ride when I came on here and bitched about how slow the group was. If you look at all the other rides in my log you'll see I usually average 17.5 to 18.5 on somewhat hilly routes. I do not have race wheels or aero helmet, but have been saving some cash and plan to have both by race day. I'm hoping the combination of a flat course and several thousand dollard in race wheels will get me to a 19 MPH average. I can generally average 160 to 165 watts on trainer rides over an hour. Again, does my logice hold water or should I expect a slower bike split?

In 08 at Gulf Coast I got a 20.3 mph split on 166 watts.  54 cm P2, Giro Advantage, Hed 3/Jet Disc and a comfortable position. 

So get on the trainer and try to bang out 3 hours at 165 watts in the aero position.  That will tell you a little more.  It sucks, but I've done it more than a couple times.
2010-07-22 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2993208

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

LOL, I just caught that part!
2010-07-22 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2996183

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2010-07-21 9:44 PM

Sorry for being naive but this doesn't make sense to me.  Is there something different about any IM marathon compared to a open one?  All the marathon training plans I've seen runs in the 20 mile range (which would jive with 3 hour long runs).  Is the idea with IM that you're doing so much work with all three disciplines that your overall fitness is high enough that you don't need to do as much running? 
2010-07-22 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2997922

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
cornfed - 2010-07-22 12:19 PM
BamaDC - 2010-07-21 9:44 PM

Sorry for being naive but this doesn't make sense to me.  Is there something different about any IM marathon compared to a open one?  All the marathon training plans I've seen runs in the 20 mile range (which would jive with 3 hour long runs).  Is the idea with IM that you're doing so much work with all three disciplines that your overall fitness is high enough that you don't need to do as much running? 

An Ironman Marathon is nothing like an open Marathon!  And a open marathon is another beast altogether. 

Unless your sub 12, your going to be walking a nice portion of the marathon.  Many will jog/run a good portion of the marathon and blow up/bonk.  They think man if I would have done more running.  Not True, most of the time the bike is the problem.  Your either not efficient(metabolic) enough yet or you went to hard.

Also, until your knocking out 30-40 mile weeks consistantly the risk of injury is greater when running 3 hours.  The Ironman marathon is more about mental toughness and pacing(all 3 sports).

2010-07-22 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2781196

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Mark, what set of race wheel should I look at? Zipp, HED? How much time will they get me?

Also, you know most of the people on this site seem to think more volume is the key to all problems. You seem to feel that intensity may be of more importance than most. I tend to agree with you, and i think there has to be a balance between both. My point is, if you put in 30 to 40 miles a week run training, when the hell would you train bike/swim. I'm just to the point with my base and volume that i feel i can make incremental gains with increased intensity. I'm starting to implement that in all 3 disciplines. Not sure where I'm going with this, but would love to hear your thoughts.

hmm, lookey here. Man the site confuses the hell out of me.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=218553&posts=12&start=1

Edited by titeloops 2010-07-22 4:18 PM
2010-07-22 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2998694

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
titeloops - 2010-07-22 5:16 PM
Also, you know most of the people on this site seem to think more volume is the key to all problems. You seem to feel that intensity may be of more importance than most. I tend to agree with you, and i think there has to be a balance between both. My point is, if you put in 30 to 40 miles a week run training, when the hell would you train bike/swim. I'm just to the point with my base and volume that i feel i can make incremental gains with increased intensity.

My run volume has fallen off as I try to keep up with swimming and biking.  Not sure if it's going to hurt me in Sept or not.  Guess we'll just have to see.
2010-07-22 4:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
My local bike shop had a link on there webpage this article by Matt Fitzgerald's titled "How to Nail the Ironman Marathon".
2010-07-22 9:38 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
titeloops - 2010-07-22 4:16 PM Mark, what set of race wheel should I look at? Zipp, HED? How much time will they get me?

Also, you know most of the people on this site seem to think more volume is the key to all problems. You seem to feel that intensity may be of more importance than most. I tend to agree with you, and i think there has to be a balance between both. My point is, if you put in 30 to 40 miles a week run training, when the hell would you train bike/swim. I'm just to the point with my base and volume that i feel i can make incremental gains with increased intensity. I'm starting to implement that in all 3 disciplines. Not sure where I'm going with this, but would love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=218553&posts=12&start=1

Running 30 miles takes me less than 4 hours.  More volume is good at the right times, if it followed by the right amount of recovery.

Intensity is important.  Don't go and do 100 milers at 140-150 watts, then plan to pull 170 watts out of your butt on race day.  If your planning on averaging 165 watts during B2B, then you should be knocking out 4-5 hour rides or 100 milers at or above that wattage.  My example from last year.

-My last long ride before IMKY:  time 5:41, 105 miles, Avg. HR 145 bpm, Avg watts 167, 18.52 mph.
-IMKY split:  time 5:56, 112 miles, Avg HR 146 bpm. Avg watts 166, 18.83 mph 

I knew I could do it on race day cause I did in training.  I had also underwent the VO2/metabolic testing(like you).  So I knew at that HR I had plenty of gas left to run a marathon.  I ended up doing a 4:20 marathon.  I could I have gone faster, yes.  But under my circumstances, my slat tablets were ruined.  I played it safe and did the marathon with a fellow BTer.  And  I still beat goal time of sub 12 hours.
2010-07-22 9:39 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
titeloops - 2010-07-22 4:16 PM Mark, what set of race wheel should I look at? Zipp, HED? How much time will they get me?

Also, intensity doesn't always mean hard intervals at the track.  Please keep asking. 

2010-07-23 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2781196

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Mark,

When would you consider it a good time to get a power meter?  I've only been riding for year and always thought I wouldn't need a power meter until I had a lot more time in the saddle (if I would ever need one).  However, I've been reading "Training and Racing with Power" and now I'm having second thoughts.  One of the reasons is that I'm not a big fan of HR based training.  I prefer to do my run training using VDOT based paces.  In man ways, power seems to be analogous to pace so it's appealing to me.  I should also mention that I'm an engineer so the geek aspect of crunching data is also appealing.

My plans for the next 1-2 years is to stay within the olympic distance with other running and biking events mixed in.  Right now my training feels a little haphazard.  I realize that a power meter (or any other gadget) won't magiciclly fix this and it's something I need to resolve on my own.   Do you think it would be worth while for me to get a power meter soon (within the next 6 months) or wait until I have more experience and am more focused with my training?
2010-07-23 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2999182

User image

Expert
Alabama
BamaDC - 2010-07-22 9:38 PM

Running 30 miles takes me less than 4 hours.  More volume is good at the right times, if it followed by the right amount of recovery.

Intensity is important.  Don't go and do 100 milers at 140-150 watts, then plan to pull 170 watts out of your butt on race day.  If your planning on averaging 165 watts during B2B, then you should be knocking out 4-5 hour rides or 100 milers at or above that wattage.  My example from last year.

-My last long ride before IMKY:  time 5:41, 105 miles, Avg. HR 145 bpm, Avg watts 167, 18.52 mph.
-IMKY split:  time 5:56, 112 miles, Avg HR 146 bpm. Avg watts 166, 18.83 mph 

I knew I could do it on race day cause I did in training.  I had also underwent the VO2/metabolic testing(like you).  So I knew at that HR I had plenty of gas left to run a marathon.  I ended up doing a 4:20 marathon.  I could I have gone faster, yes.  But under my circumstances, my slat tablets were ruined.  I played it safe and did the marathon with a fellow BTer.  And  I still beat goal time of sub 12 hours.

Y'all are having some very good exchanges.....

A lot of the same questions that I have.

How do you balance building distance and intensity?  Is there information out there about how to develop a plan that helps accomplish these goals?  Are the plans on BT good enough for this, or does anyone reccomend a better reference?

I've read the Training Bible, and done the "training plan", but then I got lost when it got to building intensity workouts, build workouts, etc.  I've often thought that a coach may be a good investment at this point.  I feel like i'm just s/b/r with maybe no real direction sometimes.  It's like there is a missing link...

My goal next year is to complete a HIM, and would love to do it with a goal of 6 hours.  Do the discussions of the IM training (run/bike) apply basically the same to the HIM?

2010-07-23 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2999540

User image

Expert
Alabama
cornfed - 2010-07-23 7:45 AM Mark,

When would you consider it a good time to get a power meter?  I've only been riding for year and always thought I wouldn't need a power meter until I had a lot more time in the saddle (if I would ever need one).  However, I've been reading "Training and Racing with Power" and now I'm having second thoughts.  One of the reasons is that I'm not a big fan of HR based training.  I prefer to do my run training using VDOT based paces.  In man ways, power seems to be analogous to pace so it's appealing to me.  I should also mention that I'm an engineer so the geek aspect of crunching data is also appealing.

My plans for the next 1-2 years is to stay within the olympic distance with other running and biking events mixed in.  Right now my training feels a little haphazard.  I realize that a power meter (or any other gadget) won't magiciclly fix this and it's something I need to resolve on my own.   Do you think it would be worth while for me to get a power meter soon (within the next 6 months) or wait until I have more experience and am more focused with my training?

I have the same question about a power meter!!!

Also, at this early stage of training, is it worth getting a tested VO2 done?

I've been trying to train by HR, but sometimes I believe other indicators of training intensity may be a better gauge, such as pace or power. 

I get a lot of good data from the HR, but I tend to pay more attention to the pace on a run.  On the bike, I'm just trying to keep up and my HR doesn't settle in until i'm in an aero position powering down a good stretch.  I can power down a pretty flat area, but hit a hill, and i'm out.  My HR shoots up and i'm tapped trying to keep it up.  I feel like i'm all over the place.
2010-07-23 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2999540

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

As soon as you could afford one.  I wish had I started using one before my first IM, instead I started using one two months after.  

If your staying in the Olympic distance and less the power meter and VDOT paces will work.  HR training is more important when you step up to HIM and IM distance racing.
2010-07-23 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2998714

User image

Expert
Alabama
cornfed - 2010-07-22 4:28 PM My local bike shop had a link on there webpage this article by Matt Fitzgerald's titled "How to Nail the Ironman Marathon".

Good article.

So, it's suggesting that building your biking strength is very important, even compared to the run.  Maybe i'm looking at my training all wrong.

My run is horrible (bad pace), which I would like to improve.  I've seen some improvement, but need much more.  How would you balance improving your running and biking without overdoing it?  My pace on the run needs to be much better, but apparently without running a lot (4-5 times a week, which may take away from the biking), how do you find the improvement that may be needed?  Or, should I run 3 times a week, trying to build up to 25 miles a week?  2 five mile runs + any bricks, plus the long weekend run to get to 25+ miles a week?

2010-07-23 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2999779

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2010-07-23 10:19 AM

As soon as you could afford one.  I wish had I started using one before my first IM, instead I started using one two months after.  

If your staying in the Olympic distance and less the power meter and VDOT paces will work.  HR training is more important when you step up to HIM and IM distance racing.

I like the hub based powertab units.  Should i get one with a new wheel or have the hub built into my current wheel since the bike is relatively new?

Can you elaborate on why HR is more important for long course?
2010-07-23 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3000181

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

cornfed - 2010-07-23 11:28 AM
BamaDC - 2010-07-23 10:19 AM

I like the hub based powertab units.  Should i get one with a new wheel or have the hub built into my current wheel since the bike is relatively new?

Can you elaborate on why HR is more important for long course?

Long Course is more about pacing and energy spent.  Think of your body as a engine.  HR is like your RPMs, and your watts are like horsepower.  Your heart rate lets you know if the engine room is working more or less to produce the same amount watts.

Example at the start of the bike, my HR is usually jacked.  Like 160 bpm and I'm only producing 190 watts.  If I take a mile or two and let my HR settle 15 to 20 bpm, then start pushing the 190 watts.  My HR will stay in the 140's and I'll still be able to push 190 watts.  If I had kept pushing the 190 watts to begin with.  My HR might not come down or it may take 10-20 miles.  So if you look at my metabolic chart I posted earlier, you'll see I can't ride a HIM or IM at that HR and expect to have a good run.

That's why HR is important.

I had a powertap and didn't like it, mainly because of the computer.  If you get a PT get the ANT+ model so you can link it with a Garmin.  Are you going to buy a wheel cover.  If you have the money, I'd try to get it built into a HED 60 or SRAM 60. Then add the wheel cover.   That way you'll have options in a training and race wheel

2010-07-23 11:50 AM
in reply to: #2999811

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
pilotzs - 2010-07-23 9:36 AM
cornfed - 2010-07-22 4:28 PM My local bike shop had a link on there webpage this article by Matt Fitzgerald's titled "How to Nail the Ironman Marathon".

Good article.

So, it's suggesting that building your biking strength is very important, even compared to the run.  Maybe i'm looking at my training all wrong.

My run is horrible (bad pace), which I would like to improve.  I've seen some improvement, but need much more.  How would you balance improving your running and biking without overdoing it?  My pace on the run needs to be much better, but apparently without running a lot (4-5 times a week, which may take away from the biking), how do you find the improvement that may be needed?  Or, should I run 3 times a week, trying to build up to 25 miles a week?  2 five mile runs + any bricks, plus the long weekend run to get to 25+ miles a week?

Give it time and be consistant.  When I started back in 06, I was running 9 to 10 minute miles.
2010-07-23 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3000240

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2010-07-23 12:49 PM

I had a powertap and didn't like it, mainly because of the computer.  If you get a PT get the ANT+ model so you can link it with a Garmin.  Are you going to buy a wheel cover.  If you have the money, I'd try to get it built into a HED 60 or SRAM 60. Then add the wheel cover.   That way you'll have options in a training and race wheel

I'm definitely going the ANT+ route.  I think it gives me more choices overall.  What didn't you like about the computer?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's mentor group is Closed! Rss Feed  

of 52