BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-08 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED

Itzia- Sorry to hear about your injury, but good to see you are being positive about the situation.

Croix- I also agree that working out hard everyday is not a great idea. But not all activity has to be hard. When I did the Peach Challenges this summer, I counted walking with my kids & dog and house clean as my "activities" on my off days. I ended up walking and cleaning a lot more than I would have if I was not trying to get in the activity. There are so many tiny opportunities to burn calories throughout the day, I don't underestimate them. It's all activity.

Ali- I don't follow a specific plan, but I do have goals each week for running anf biking volumes. My feeling is that if I feel like going a little longer or adding more activity, I do it. As long as I'm not doing it at a high intensity, I don't feel it can hurt. I've had days were I've done a long bike ride in the morning and then Jamie calls me at the last minute to see if I want to run in the afternoon. I've always taken her up on it if I'm feeling good.

I do Oly and sprint distances, so I would probably be more strict about following a plan to a tee if I was doing a HIM or IM. But it has to be fun for me. So if I want to do an unplanned run, I do it.
Also, I don't think there is anything wrong with doing a 10K when your not pleased with your 5K time. Doing those long easy runs will make you faster in the 5K just by building your running fitness. Up to this point I've done no speedwork, my 5K times have improved solely by running more gradually each week.

2011-01-08 4:31 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Just got back from a 38 mile bike ride. LOVED being able to see my cadence. I think I'm doing a better job climbing the hillls. Looking to do a shorter ride tomorrow.
2011-01-08 4:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Jealous on the 38 mile bike ride -- would be wonderful to be outside versus stuck on the trainer!
2011-01-08 6:53 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Jeaulous + 1,000,000.  I have a new bike with literallly zero miles on it sitting in the house, and likely no chance to ride it on the street until March.

I need to assemble the trainer tomorrow, and get riding inside, at least.

BTW -- did absolutely nothing fitness wise today other than coach my daughter's basketball team (2nd grade), and that wasn't much. Figured it was a good time for a rest day. long run early AM tomorrow, and some trainer time on the bike! Yeah!!
2011-01-09 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Need some ideas on how to improve my leg strength.  Today at the end of the swim work out I did a couple of 25 yd lengths with the kick board.  Geez, that's hard!!!!  Have also noticed that when I'm doing my cycling I don't feel like I have a lot of power in my legs.  Find both of these kind of curious as I have historically had good strength in my legs (could jump really well when I played basketball, strong sprinter, good on leg presses, etc.)  Any ideas on what's going on and how I might make some improvements?
2011-01-09 3:35 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Long run (7.6 mi) done for the day. Very windy day out on the road. felt like I wasn't moving forward at all a few times.

2011-01-09 9:14 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Mike- Great job on the run! Those cold, windy, uphills ones are the hardest but most satisfying.

Croix- Just an idea on the cycling. Do you think you might be pushing too hard a gear? I'm really trying to strengthen my legs for cycling too, and the advice I have been given by the people I ride with is to drop to an easier gear and increase the rpms. My understanding is that all the spinning will build the leg muscles and allow you to push that harder gear in the future. Again, I'm in the same boat and am no expert, just passing on what I have been told by better riders.

Did a 24 mile bike ride that included a tough 4 mile uphill climb in Red Rock. I was happy that the climb seemed easier to me than last time I did it several month ago and I was able to go 1-2mph faster up the hill. Very encouraging as cycling is my weak area.
Did a short 3 mile run with my son in the jogging stroller in the late afternoon.  
2011-01-09 9:17 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Croix- About the swimming. Just an idea. Instead of using a kickboard, try putting one hand on your hip and turning on your opposite side (so your arm that's on your hip looks like a shark fin sticking up out of the water). Extend the other arm staright out. This basically puts you on your side. Then just kick. Keep your head in the water looking straight ahead and then turn it to the side whenever you feel the need to breathe. This drill works the legs like a kickboard would, but the advantage is that it turns you on your side, where you need to be swimming- you get used to the feeling of gliding through the water on your side. We did it in my masters class. I'll see if I can find a video of it on the internet to post. 

Also- Here's the tough part of the Red Rock ride if anyone is interested
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=140779

Edited by jpbis26 2011-01-09 9:26 PM
2011-01-09 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Jackie -- Think you are right about the gear / went down to the trainer this PM and played with it a bit.  Looks like I had the tension too high so I think that'll work out much better.  Could actually be good for me as I've been grinding for a few weeks!!!!  On the drill, I do the side one and it's much easier / does not stress the legs nearly as much.  I'll be using it as well to help with the balance.  The Time-Crunched book has kick swim sets at the end of work outs / emphasizes the importance of the kick at the end of the swim.  Not fair that you get to ride outside!!!!
2011-01-09 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3286193

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Boston Beginner - 2011-01-08 7:12 AM

itziaol - 2011-01-07 11:52 PM

I saw my doctor today and I was told to walk with the aid of a crotch or a cane for 3 days.  I also have to wear a special sock and do some exercises in hot water twice a day for 10 days.  Then I’ll have to see a sports doctor for rehab before I can train again.  So, I think I won’t be able to run or bike much in January, but I will swim soon, I hope. 

I feel a little insecure and it hurts, but I’m NOT walking with a crotch or a cane.  That already makes a difference!  Smile  There are plenty of house chores to do.  Decorations have to come down, and we all have to be ready to come back to school and work on Monday.  Nothing exciting, I’m afraid…  I hope you all enjoy your activities this weekend!

You should PM Aquagirl if you have any questions.  She is a good friend of mine.  She is coming off knee surgery and has been through the whole crutches and starting to walk again.  Plus she will know what you might be able to do for exercise.

Thanks Josh, I’ll send your friend a message tomorrow.  

Well done Alex, Jackie, Mike and Curt!  You are an inspiration to me.

I’m so happy!  I’ve been doing my rehab exercises (twice what the doctor said LOL) and my ankle improves a lot every day.  I’ll be OK in no time!  Cool  Thank you all for your good wishes!  Laughing

Back to reality tomorrow… school starts again. 

Have a great week everyone! Smile

Edited by itziaol 2011-01-10 10:22 AM
2011-01-10 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
So...saturday I had my swim meet.  I swam five events for a total of 300 yards.  The race beat me up really bad (my race time was ok). So I wasn't able to do any running or bike this week.  I wake up sunday morning with my whole body hurting.  Hoping I will do some running today.

2011-01-10 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Good morning everyone.  I hope everyone had a good weekend.  I actually got a couple of workouts in.  Looks like most everyone had a productive weekend.  One more week of my craziness, then I can focus more on you guys.

Just a heads up, we might be adding, one or two more people to the group.  Stay tuned.

Have a productive Monday.

Josh

2011-01-10 11:52 AM

User image

Athens, GA
Hi Guys,
Some of you had awesome weekend, sweet. I hope that that week is good for all of you. We got 6 inches of snow last night and now it is raining, so I am not sure if I will be able to work out today, w/o dying (Georgia just does not have the equipment to deal with this). I am not planning on leaving the house to be honest, just safer that way, hehe. I hope that all of you have a great day. Enjoy your sweat for me! 

but I did get in my 10m bike (inside on an Expresso.net bike) yesterday = 42m24s  

Ail
2011-01-10 8:01 PM

Hey Josh!

I'm Dan Navarro, Itzia Ochoa's friend. She pointed me to your profile and recommended me to join.

I'd love to join if you have a spot for me. I'm committed to running/swimming/biking my first triathlon this year. I'm a fairly good runner, yet need help with my swimming and biking. I hope you can take me.

Thanks in advance for your support

Best regards

Dan Navarro 
2011-01-10 9:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

DN – It’s great that you decided to join us my friend!  I’m so glad that we can support each other in achieving our goals!  Josh had already told me that he would take you so… welcome on board!  

Sterling – Well done!

Ailie -  You are lucky to be able to work from home.

I hope the weather improves soon for all of you guys.  I won’t tell you what the maximum temperature is over here LOL.  The problem will be when I’m roasting in May.

It’s great to be able to walk around all day.  I guess that’s my workout at the moment.  I got info on a local triathlon team and a gym I might join for swimming.  I also have an appointment with the head coach tomorrow to see if I can be part of the team.  I’m still limping though...  :-S

I’ve lost 6.4lb, which is all the weight I put on during the holidays.  I still have 14 pounds to lose.  

Good night.  I hope you all have a great Tuesday!

Edited by itziaol 2011-01-11 8:29 AM
2011-01-10 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Welcome Dan!

Itzia- Great job on the weight loss! What have you been doing that's worked so well?

Did 50 minutes on a spin bike today and 45 minutes on an elliptical. Nothing too exciting. Yes, I am lucky to be able to ride outside year round here. However, I will be jealous of all of you when it is 110 degrees in July.

2011-01-10 9:44 PM
in reply to: #3291444

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
jpbis26 - 2011-01-10 9:16 PM Welcome Dan!

Itzia- Great job on the weight loss! What have you been doing that's worked so well?

Did 50 minutes on a spin bike today and 45 minutes on an elliptical. Nothing too exciting. Yes, I am lucky to be able to ride outside year round here. However, I will be jealous of all of you when it is 110 degrees in July.

Jackie, I’m doing the zone Diet, by Dr. Barry Sears.  Not everybody agrees that this is an appropriate diet for tris, but it has worked wonders for me before.  It was first tested on the Princeton swimming team and it worked on them and many other athletes, so I’m giving it a shot. 

When I manage to be in “the zone” after a couple of weeks of starting the diet, I can concentrate better, lose excess body fat (you  loose more in size than in weight and there is no plateau), I don’t feel hungry (only during the first few days), I have lots of energy and I need 1 hour less sleep.  But what I find it’s the best is that you get to eat quite a bit.  I have a big appetite, whether I exercise or not, and I get very cranky if I don’t have enough to eat.  That doesn’t happen with the zone.  I know people who have tried it and find it difficult to eat everything they should according to the diet, especially a tall man for example.

Have a look at it at http://www.drsears.com/

I read 3 of the books, that’s how I know how to calculate it.  It is a bit bothersome because you have to measure and weight food.  Not everyone likes that.

If you try it, let me know how it goes.  I’ll be glad to help.

Edited by itziaol 2011-01-11 1:30 PM
2011-01-11 6:36 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Welcome, Dan! Please, please ask any questions you have - Josh will certainly help, as will the rest of us!

Good luck w/ the coach, Itzia!. Good job on the weight loss as well.

I managed a 5.2 mile run this AM, and with a big snow storm coming, I'm hoping its not my last outside run for a while. Expecting 12-18" of snow (get the shovel out, Josh!!) so tomorrows work out will be 'snow shoveling'.

My run today involved a slightly new route involving some big hills, and my pace shows it. I fell below 10 min/mile for the whole run, which to me is a bit disappointing. The positive is that I managed all the hills, didn't stop or walk, and did the whole run. This may sound a bit nutty, but in my mind, if I stop or walk during a training run (for non injury/extraordinary reasons), it doesn't count as a work out. Maybe its a mental toughness exercise, but thats how I approach these runs. The slow pace on these hill runs make me think I'm not nearly as fit as I think I am, and have a long way to go.

With all the expected snow, and should I not make it to work tomorrow, maybe I'll finally get my bike trainer put together, and get riding my new bike. Its still sitting in the house unused.

Swimming has been put on hold for a few days to rest my right shoulder. Its been a bit sore the past couple weeks (an old rugby injury) and rest usually makes it better. Fingers crossed!
2011-01-11 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Dan,

Welcome aboard.

Ail,
Good idea staying inside.  From what I have heard from some coworkers it is a disaster down there and it does not seem like today will be any better. It looks like we will be getting hit with the same storm later today.  

Itzia,
Glad to hear you are recovering well.  You seem to be making progress is large strides.

All,
Here is the black and white version of my training plan.  Technicolor can be provided on request Tongue out.   The details are only populated for Jan and Feb, but the plan will go through April.  It is based off  the 20 week sprint, but heavily modified based on my current abilities.  I set up the swim portion to allow me to focus more on technique than volume, since I am really weak in this area.  There is a tab that includes my strength training as well, but I believe I will be scaling this back this week or next.  I am not sure if it would be better to keep it at three days and reduce the sets or keep the sets and reduce days to two.  Please let me know if this plan seems to be too aggressive or if there are any other changes I should make. 

Attachments
----------------
training_plan.xlsx (17KB - 13 downloads)
2011-01-11 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3291293

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Dan_Navarro - 2011-01-10 9:01 PM Hey Josh!

I'm Dan Navarro, Itzia Ochoa's friend. She pointed me to your profile and recommended me to join.

I'd love to join if you have a spot for me. I'm committed to running/swimming/biking my first triathlon this year. I'm a fairly good runner, yet need help with my swimming and biking. I hope you can take me.

Thanks in advance for your support

Best regards

Dan Navarro 

Welcome Dan.  I am sure you will find this group extremely helpful, not in any part due to my participation lately.  But the others have been filling in nicely.  I almost need to take my name off the group. 

2011-01-11 9:13 AM

South Central PA
Dan - Welcome to the group

Itzia - I'm glad to hear you're up and moving.  Here's hoping you have a quick recovery.

Mike - I'm a little jealous of the snow.  We're only expecting 4-6 inches here.  Still, I'll be inside on the bike tonight.

2011-01-11 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Welcome aboard Dan
2011-01-11 5:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
Welcome aboard Dan!

did my 30 min test run again today and spinning for 50 min after. Everything's good so far on the ITBS again

Alex - Happy, happy, happy  
2011-01-11 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3293465

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
playmobil31 - 2011-01-11 5:58 PM Welcome aboard Dan!

did my 30 min test run again today and spinning for 50 min after. Everything's good so far on the ITBS again

Alex - Happy, happy, happy  

Great news, Alex!!  Lets hope it stays good! Glad you are happy!
2011-01-11 8:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Josh – Don’t say that, we need you!  I hope it all goes well during your busy week at work.

Jackie – About “the zone”, what you have to weight is protein.  But what I did 10 years ago when I became familiar with this diet, was to weight proteins for a few weeks and then I became used to calculating without a scale.  I never weight my protein any more.  But I do use cups to measure carbs and spoons for fat.  Also… the truth is that I can be a bit obsessive some times, so you may be able to do it in a more relaxed way.  Try it out!

Alex – Excellent news!

Mike – Good that you managed to run.  How was the snow today?

Marcus -  I tried to download your plan, but I couldn’t for some reason.  Could you save it in a previous version of excel?  That might be it.  Actually, I can turn it technicolored if you like! Wink

The interview with the head coach went excellent!  I was accepted and I’m enrolling tomorrow.  He is actually going to San Antonio TX on Friday and he offered to buy my bike over there.  He used to be sponsored by Trek, so he is getting it from the factory with a discount.  I’LL HAVE MY BIKE NEXT WEEK!!!  Surprised  I’m so happy I could jump… but I shouldn’t try. LOL

Here it is:  http://www.trekbikes.com/women/wsd_products/bikes/road/lexaslx/  What do you say?  Black and white or satin crystal pearl? 

He is giving me a training plan. He thought mine was too easy… Ooops!  I can see what I’m in for!
  :-S

I can drive now!  Smile

Edited by itziaol 2011-01-11 9:02 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38