BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2011-01-23 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3256073

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Experior's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Hey everyone.  Crazy crazy times are here this weekend.  I managed to get my training in, but other than that I was booked solid!  (And I had to do some weird training and odd times, like a 10pm run on Friday.)  My grandmother suddenly took ill while my parents were gone, so the ball fell into my court.  Sorry about my radio silence for the past couple of days.  I will definitely go back and read the previous posts and respond to everything.

Meanwhile, while sitting in a hospital lobby (no internet there Frown but at least they had free coffee...), I did compose a little something about transitions.  I hope it is useful.  I'll put it into a separate post, in a minute.

Best to you all.  And keep training!

2011-01-23 9:44 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Transitions

News flash: transitions are timed. That's right—they are part of the race. Even those who are keen to finish near the top of the standings often lose more time in transition than they should. And for the rest of us: while improving transitions might not get us onto the podium, still, we are there to perform to our potential, right? So let's bring our transitions up to their potential!

There are many things to consider in speeding up transitions, and we will get to those below, but in my opinion one is more important than all others: attitude. Coming out of the swim, or off of the bike, the body and mind quite naturally go into ‘relaxation mode’. You just completed a hard effort. Why not take a breather? Answer: the race is not over! If ever there were a time to remember that triathlon is a single sport and not three sports pasted together (‘buffered’ from one another by transitions), this is it. We must remember that even during the transitions, we are racing. Adopt that attitude during transitions and I bet you'll take substantial time off your transitions right away. Now let’s move on to the finer points.

One note of caution: The details as I describe them below are what I believe to be ‘best practices’ in transition. It is entirely possible that some of these recommendations will not work out for you. Figure out what works best for you—i.e., what will result in the overall best race performances for you—and do that. But don’t give up on the recommendations here just because they don’t work once. In general, they should provide the fastest transitions for you. Only abandon them if, after some practice, you still are convinced that something else works better.

Transitions 101

Let’s start with the basics. Getting the basics right will account for the vast majority of your time saved in transition. Once you’ve got them down, you can starting honing a few other skills to shave the final few seconds. Our focus here is on non-Ironman races. Much of what we say here applies to IM races as well, but in those races, adding or removing clothing in particular is more likely to be worth the time. In most other races, it is not.

Make It Easy

The fundamental principle you should never abandon in transition is to make your transition as easy as possible. There are two parts to making it easy: keep it simple, and practice.

Keep it Simple: A messy, complicated, cluttered, transition area is an invitation to confusion. You will already be slightly disoriented when you get out of the water. Do you really need to arrive at your bike to be confronted with this?

Don’t let your transition area look like this!
(Image originally from this thread.)

Now quick, while wet and disoriented, grab just what you need from this mess. And unless you are first out of the water, there’s a decent chance that somebody else—indeed, many somebody else’s—have run past this spot. Would you blame them if they accidentally kicked something here?

Contrast that transition set-up with this one:

Simplicity = time saved.
(Image originally from this thread.)

Yes, believe it or not, that simple and clean setup has everything needed to get through T1 and T2. There little chance that this transition area will get disturbed, and even if it does, there is so little clutter, that the shoes and race belt (which is under the shoes) will still be easy to spot and grab. Simplicity. It works. (This setup does include one advanced technique—shoes already clipped into the bike. If you forego that technique, still the only additional piece of gear on the ground will be the bike shoes.)

The other aspect of making transitions easy is practice. Your routine in transition needs to be automatic. It can be a confusing, hectic, place, and if you feel unsure, you will lose time. If you practice, it will become automatic. Practice is easy. You can work it into your regular workouts. For T1 practice, go all the way at least a few times. Put on your wetsuit (if your target race is possibly wetsuit-legal), hop in the shower and get wet. (Even better, if possible, go for an open-water swim!) Have your ‘T1’ all set up, and go for it. Make a note of which parts were slower. Fix the little things that cause hiccups.

Keep it simple, and practice. The rest is fine print. Now let’s look at the fine print.

T1: Swim to Bike

Before the race, practice running from the swim exit to your bike. Make sure you are familiar with the optimal route to your spot on the racks. Very often there are numbers at the end of the racks indicating where your bike should be. Don’t rely on these numbers. Pausing to read them while running, especially during the bout of disorientation you are likely to feel after the swim, will slow you down. Instead, find some landmarks to guide your way, and count the number of racks you’ll pass to get to your bike. For example, ‘fifth rack on the left after the Port-a-Potty’. Do not rely on easily moved or removed landmarks, such as balloons attached to a rack or brightly colored transition bags, and the like. These are easily (and often!) moved or removed by athletes or race officials.

Next, when you are done warming up, get your bike into the gear you’ll need to start the race. Typically, this will be quite a low gear, so that you are spinning rather than mashing at the start. Spinning will help you get up to speed more quickly, and will give you better control of the bike. Now you’re ready. (We’ll talk about where stuff goes below.)

As soon as you are out of the water (or running through it rather than swimming), take your cap and goggles off. Start taking your wetsuit off while you are running to the bike. To begin, grab the zipper and pull it down as you run into T1, then pull off the top. You finish your run into T1 with the wetsuit down to your waist. When you get to your bike, peel the suit down your legs (you are turning it inside-out as it comes off), then step on one leg and pull the other leg out. Then do the same with the other leg. Do not sit down! You can accomplish this task while standing up. This procedure is worth practicing several times. Once you have it down, you should be able to pull your wetsuit off (from the waist down) in 10 seconds or less.

Next are your sunglasses (if you are wearing them) and helmet, which should be on your bike. If the helmet does not balance securely on your handlebars, then just hang it by a strap. The sunglasses should be in your helmet. Put them on first, and then the helmet. Don’t forget to connect the strap! You can be penalized for handling your bike with the chin strap not secured. Finally, put on your shoes, and grab your bike, which is best racked on the seat if at all possible. (If it is racked on the seat, then you will be facing the direction that you will be running as you pull the bike off the rack. Otherwise, you’ll be facing the wrong way when you pull the bike off.) Grab it by the stem or the seat, and run (run!) to the mount line.

When you get across the mount line, it might be worth stepping to one side or the other. This is a call you’ll have to make in the moment, depending on traffic. You do not want to be mounting immediately behind someone. If that person has trouble mounting, you might end up having to take evasive action to avoid a collision, so make sure you have a clear path ahead when you mount. Get on your bike in your normal way (we’ll discuss the alternative—the ‘flying mount’—below). And don’t be a weaver! After you mount, go straight, and watch out for others who might weave. Practicing your bike handling skills so that you have full control of your bike even at low speeds can be very useful in these few moments at the mount line. Don’t believe me? Watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62oFoUJQ-x8

A famous mounting fail by Peter Reid (professional triathlete—it
can happen to anyone, so be careful out there!)

What about socks? If you can avoid wearing them, do so. Putting on socks takes time. Time spent in T1 is time lost. Even if you plan to wear socks on the run, my advice is to wait and put them on in T2? Why? Because your feet are likely to be somewhat drier in T2, and the socks will be easier (= faster) to put on. In any case, if you must put on socks in transition, put them, rolled up and ready to roll on, inside your shoes. (That way, if the shoes get bumped somewhere, the socks go with them, and your gear is less likely to get scattered into different places.)

How do you know whether you’ll need socks? Practice! If your bike shoes fit, you should be able to go sockless. If you develop hot spots or blisters, it could be the shoes, or it could be that you just need to acclimate to the shoes. Practice! Ride sockless as much as you can and it is likely to get better. Some people have luck with strategically placed Vaseline, or Body Glide, or chamois cream, in the shoe. Some people have luck with baby power in the shoe. Experiment and see what works for you.

What about washing your feet? Don’t! There is no need to wash feet, even if you just ran through sand. Putting buckets of water, cloths, and other such paraphernalia in your transition area is just asking for trouble. Keep it simple! At most you should use a towel on the ground, and just rub your feet on it as if it were a rug. But really, you should be able to brush any dirt or sand off with your hand as you put your shoes on. If it becomes a problem while biking (honestly though, I’ve run through plenty of grimy and sandy transition areas and never had a problem), you can always remove your foot later, while riding, and brush it off. You can do this, right? Of course you can, because you’ve practiced it.

Here’s how it looks when you put it all together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpgOFsNPNIg#t=0s

T1 at the Women’s U23 Triathlon World Championships.

To summarize:

1. Get your bike into the appropriate gear.
  2. Rack your bike on the seat, front wheel facing out. Put your helmet on the bike, and your sunglasses in the helmet.
  3. Practice the run to your bike from the swim exit. Take note of any stationary landmarks to help find your bike. For example, count the number of racks to your bike.
  4. As soon as you are standing up, take your cap and goggles off, and remove the top half of your wetsuit.
  5. Once you arrive at your bike, finish removing your wetsuit. Do not sit down!
  6. With the wetsuit off, put your sunglasses and helmet on (in that order). Connect the strap!
  7. Put on your shoes, brushing sand or dirt off your feet if necessary
  8. Unrack the bike and run to and past the mount line
  9. Mount quickly but calmly, making sure that there is a clear path in front of you. Hold your line.

T2: Bike to Run

The fastest transitions are those where you do as little as possible while standing still. When you are standing at the rack, you are not making progress towards the finish line. That is why you should remove your shoes while you are still riding. It is easy to do—anybody can learn how to do it. When you are about a quarter mile from the finish (this distance depends on terrain and traffic), on a reasonably straight stretch of road, reach down and unstrap one shoe. As soon as the strap is undone, move it away from the crank—we don’t want it to get caught up in the crank. This task is most easily accomplished by simply re-attaching a little bit of the strap on the outside of the shoe. It looks like this:

Strap secured and out of the way.

With practice, unstrapping should take literally a second. Work your foot out. Once off, the shoe will want to hang down heel first. Catch the toe box of the shoe with your toe, and rotate it back to horizontal (ideally before it ever gets all the way down). Put your foot on top of the shoe—you are now using the shoe as a platform pedal. Do the same with the other foot. The pictures below illustrate the sequence.

Removing the shoe. (Sorry about the messy background!)

Slow down and dismount before the dismount line. Grab your bike by the handlebars if you must, but preferably by the seat, and run (run!) to your spot on the rack. Just as for the swim-to-bike transition, practice this run before the race. Pick out your landmarks and know where to go.

When you get to the rack, rack the bike on the handlebars. Turning it around to rack it on the seat just adds time and there’s no need for it at this point. Put on your shoes. (If you absolutely, positively, must wear socks, then of course put them on before the shoes. It is easiest and quickest, in general, to have them rolled down to the toe box. Slide your toes in and roll them up over the rest of your foot.) You will want to have ‘lock laces’ (sometimes called ‘speed laces’, sold under various brand names) on your shoes. They are elastic laces that allow you to pull the shoe on (and off) without tying.  Do not sit down for any of this; you should be able to put shoes (and socks) on while standing up.  If not, then practice it.

Now grab your run belt (to which your number is attached). It should have been sitting on the ground, under your shoes. (They will help pin it down.) In case you don’t know, a run belt is just an elastic belt to which you can easily attach a race number. Some of them also have elastic loops to attach gels, or small pockets to hold whatever else you might need on the run. If you are wearing a cap, it goes under your shoes with the belt, and you grab it as well. Do not pause to put the belt and cap on at your rack! You have everything you need. Start running! You can put the belt and cap on while you are running.

Here’s how it looks when you put it all together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jun4CkJ58nk

T2 at the Women’s U23 Triathlon World Championships.

To summarize:

1. Pull your feet out of your shoes with around about a quarter mile to go, or when a good opportunity presents itself.
  2. Run, don’t walk, to the rack.
  3. Use speed laces in your shoes.
  4. The only thing you should put on while standing still is your shoes.
  5. Everything else is grab and go!

What About All My Other Stuff?

There are many things that we bring to transition that we either don’t, or very likely won’t, need during a race. For example, I wear contacts when I race, but I pack a spare pair of glasses just in case I lose them during the swim. (It hasn’t happened yet...knock on wood.) We probably carried lots of other things into the transition area—spare goggles, Body Glide, sunscreen, clothing for after the race, and so on. What do we do with them?

These items should be in a bag (whatever bag we used to carry them in the first place—a backpack or small gym bag work well, but if you want a dedicated transition bag, there are some nice ones out there), and placed out of the way. In some areas, there is room under or beside the rack—just be sure that your bag isn’t intruding on someone else’s space. In others, you will need to store these items somewhere near the edge of the transition area, for example near the fence. I have yet to encounter a transition area where there is not some reasonable place to store this bag out of everybody’s way, while still making it available should I need it during the race.

Advanced Techniques

If you manage to master everything above, you will already be one of the fastest in transition in your race. I guarantee it. Look at any race results, and take note of the wide range of transition times. Those differences have very little to do with athletic prowess, and almost everything to do with being prepared and executing well. Now you’re ready to eke out those last few seconds. I’m going to cover three advanced techniques, in order of difficulty (for most people).

Shoes on Bike

If your shoes are already mounted on your bike, you get to skip one step while standing at the rack. Remember that anything you can do while moving is better done moving rather than standing at the rack. Of course, that’s assuming that you can do it efficiently while moving. Efficiency requires practice. Here’s how to do it.

First, the preparation. You need to get your shoes in position so that when you jump onto the bike, you can immediately put your feet on top of the shoes and start pedaling. Attach a thin rubber band (some experimentation will be required here) to the shoe—most shoes have a loop on the back to which you can attach the rubber band (thread the rubber band through the loop and then back through itself). On the left side of the bike, you can attach it to the quick-release lever on the rear wheel. Doing so, with the cranks parallel to the ground, should hold the shoe parallel to the ground, ready for your foot. Do the same on the right side. You’ll need to find something relatively secure to hold the rubber band. The front derailleur works well on my bike. Experiment. Here’s how it looks on my bike:

Shoes secured to the bike.

OK, now we’re ready. Once you get onto the bike, put your feet on the pedals (you do not have to do the flying mount described below to use this technique). Next, get it up to speed. (The rubber bands will break as soon as you start pedaling. You know that they will because you practiced this with the same type of rubber bands. You did practice it, right? Good.) Let me repeat that: Do not attempt to put your feet into the shoes until you are up to speed. You need momentum, and clearance from the madness at the mount line, before you can easily hold your line and focus for a moment on your shoes. Once you are safely holding your line, with good momentum, reach down and grab the loop at the heel of the shoe to hold the shoe open, and put your foot in.

Congratulations. If you did everything efficiently, you just saved a few seconds in transition.

Flying Dismount

The flying dismount will allow you to carry some momentum from the bike into an immediate run into T2. You and your bike will never come to a full stop during dismount. You begin just as described above by taking your feet out of the shoes. (You cannot do the flying dismount without taking your feet out of the shoes.)

The next step may be easier on one side rather than the other. I’ll describe how I do it. You may find it easier to switch left and right. When it comes time to dismount (before the dismount line!), stand up with your left pedal all the way down (and, of course, the right pedal all the way up), and take your right leg foot of the pedal. Pull it over the bike and between your left leg and the bike so that your right leg is between your left leg and the bike, and your right foot is slightly in front of the left pedal. You are preparing to hop off the bike with your right foot hitting the ground first.

Slow down, but don’t stop. When you hop off the bike (in front of the dismount line, right?), your right foot hits first and your momentum immediately carries you into a run. Be careful that your right foot hits the ground far enough away from the bike that you do not slam the left pedal or crank into the back of your right foot. Ouch!

Your shoes are, clearly, not held off the ground by rubber bands as they were leaving T1, so hold on to your bike tightly, especially at first. It is easy for a pedal (usually the left one since it is all the way down when you jump off) to get hung up on the ground, which will cause the bike to hop. If you have a firm grasp, this will not be a problem. My strategy is to keep one hand (my left) on the bar, and the other moves immediately back to the seat. If there’s a problem immediately after I hop off, I can easily control the bike as I’ve got two hands on it. Once I’m running smoothly (which typically takes just a few strides), I release my left hand and hold the bike by the seat only.

So how much should you slow down? Ideally, you slow down just to the speed you will be running with the bike and no more. Judging this speed, especially taking into account any safety considerations arising from the setup of T2 or from any other cyclists who are around, takes practice. Indeed, the entire technique described above takes practice. Fortunately, you have plenty of opportunities to do so. Every time you get home from a ride, dismount in this fashion and when it comes time for race day, you’ll be ready.

Have a look at the end of the video below. This guy does a pretty decent flying dismount (but on the opposite side of the bike to what I described). My one criticism is that he should reach back and grab the seat with his left hand to secure the bike, in case a shoe strikes the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR6Pq6u3YUM

A pretty good flying dismount (preceded by a rudimentary flying mount) from an amateur triathlete.

Flying Mount

The video above also shoes a pretty decent rudimentary flying mount. The flying mount is the most difficult of these advanced techniques, and arguably the one that has the least impact on your total time, and the most potential for the opposite effect, should you botch it. Don’t try it in a race until you are 100% certain that you can do it smoothly, even with obstacles such as weaving (or crashing) cyclists nearby, clueless spectators wandering into the mount area, rain, mud in your eye. You get the picture.

I’ll describe the technique shown in the video above first. As you can see, just before mounting, he gets both of his hands on the bars. He then puts his right (outside) foot on the right (nearside) pedal, which, notice, has been secured so that it is parallel to the ground and forward, ready for his foot. Then simply stand up on that pedal—the crank will turn 90°. Pull your left leg over the seat, sit down, and you are away. That initial 90° turn of the crank should give you some decent momentum to get going.

A potentially slightly (and I do mean slightly) faster technique is to hop right onto the bike immediately. Your inside leg hits the saddle first. (Don’t land right on your groin or you will regret it!) Then you quickly slide down onto the saddle, quickly putting both feet on the pedals. The video below shows it being done pretty well by Ain-Alar Juhanson at Ironman Lanzarote in 2008. He cuts it pretty close, but notice that he does, barely, land on the inside of his leg, and not on his groin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRJmMGE-fU4

A pretty good flying mount by Ain-Alar Juhanson at Ironman Lanzarote, 2008.

Again, a botched flying mount will cost you much more time than simply doing a normal mount at the start line. Make sure that you can do it in your sleep before doing it in a race.

The Take-Home

• Attitude: Doing well at a triathlon includes doing well at transitions, regardless of your ambitions. They are part of the event, not a break from it!
  • Keep it simple. Put only what you need in your transition area. You need very little. The rest can go in a bag that is available but not in the way.
  • Practice. Amateurs practice until they get it right. Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong. Everyone can be a pro at transitions.
  • Review the T1 and T2 summaries, above, for the finer points.
  • Don't try the advanced techniques until you have absolutely mastered everything else. Most of your time saved will come from that mastery.

Edited by Experior 2011-01-23 10:12 PM
2011-01-23 9:49 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
OK, ^^^there^^^ it is.  (Sorry you have to look at my ugly feet in some of those pics!  I don't have a foot model handy...)

If you look at nothing else, click the links of the U23 Women's T1 and T2 and watch those videos (around 25s each).  They show you just how fast a transition can be.  The thing is, all of us are capable of being that fast in transition!

Good night everyone.  It's been an exhausting weekend.  I'll be up early, and I'll respond to all posts then.
2011-01-24 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3314265

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
billeckert - 2011-01-21 6:01 PM Wow, it has been almost dead silent since Michael mentioned coming up with some goals for February.  Just sayin!

Lol!  Yeah, didn't mean to put the screws to anybody!

OK, I'll step up and throw two goals out there that I really need to work on.  The first is core.  I have totally slacked off on core work -- probably my least favorite form of training.  So I hereby do solemnly swear (um, OK, maybe 'hope' is more accurate??) to do 3 core workouts per week in February.

My other goal is getting down to race weight.  My first significant race is at the end of March, so I'll give myself two months to get there.  In Feb., I need to lose 5 pounds.
2011-01-24 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3315095

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
elcaminobill - 2011-01-22 11:27 AM Dude, I love the pictures of the kids.  Thats what i am talking about. 

Does anyone know how to link my Garmin connect to my log on BT?

x2 on the pics.  That makes me jealous!  I love working with kids.

Looks like Neil answered your Garmin question -- thanks Neil.  I wouldn't have known how to do that.  (My Garmin is at the bottom of a lake...
2011-01-24 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3316499

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
billeckert - 2011-01-23 3:33 PM Feeling pretty good today.  Swam 850 continuous with a mix of free, breast and elementary back.  Finished in 23:47, under 3:00 per 100.  Then did a yoga class for an hour.  Came home and ran/walked a personal best of 18:21 on my 1.42 mile loop.  First time under 13:00 mile.  Now it is not that far but when I started it took me a little over 24 minutes to complete.  So seeing progress and feeling good.

That is really great progress!  Keep it up you will continue to see more.

Perhaps this is a good opportunity to say that it is important to remember these moments of progress, especially during other times when we are not progressing.  Both things will happen (progress and stagnation).  It's all part of the process.  Remember that progress will come again is all part of staying motivated. 

2011-01-24 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3316825

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sumayahrose - 2011-01-23 7:02 PM congrads on the great work out day and getting under a 13 minute mile. What an acomplishment!

I joined team in training today, part of the leukemia and lymphoma society.  has anyone else be apart of this group?

I'm really excited, we get to work closely with two coaches, a nutritionist, get lots of training help and and i get to help a great organizations an be apart of of something bigger then myself.  My swim coach is actually the tri coach.

the program starts in feb., in the meantime, i've been getting in some good swims and have started running on the treadmill, playing as many mind games as possible to get through the indoor workout until the ice melts a bit more.  started spin back up this week too.  actually swam for an houra nd half and ran 3.5 miles with out stopping on the same morning, great to feel I could do it, but def. took a rest day the following day.

I've heard that TNT can provide a great motivating environment.  You'll have to keep us posted on how it goes.

Very solid training going on here!   2hour swim/run brick is no joke!
2011-01-24 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3318407

New user
UK
Experior - 2011-01-24 6:51 PM
billeckert - 2011-01-21 6:01 PM Wow, it has been almost dead silent since Michael mentioned coming up with some goals for February.  Just sayin!

OK, I'll step up and throw two goals out there that I really need to work on.  The first is core.  I have totally slacked off on core work -- probably my least favorite form of training.  So I hereby do solemnly swear (um, OK, maybe 'hope' is more accurate??) to do 3 core workouts per week in February.

My other goal is getting down to race weight.  My first significant race is at the end of March, so I'll give myself two months to get there.  In Feb., I need to lose 5 pounds.
ok ok I'll join you on the core routine michael, have you seen this workout, works for me

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486
2011-01-24 2:57 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Michael - Best wished to your grandmother.  Thanks for the excellent post on transitions!  It is so nice to have all the information from your posts in one handy place!   And a few questions: where is the best place to set up your stuff?  Directly under the bike?  Where do you put your wetsuit when you are done with it so it isn't in anyone else's way?  In my limited tri experience, I have always tried to put my things as much centered (from side to side, more toward front tire front to back) under my bike, as well as the wetsuit when I was done, but have occasionally found my wetsuit thrown somewhere (by someone else) away from my things.

Laura - that is great news, being hooked up with TNT.  It sounds like a group from which you can get a lot of great tips from, so many good resources!

Bill - woooo hoooooooo! Nice job with your running gains!  Progress feels good, doesn't it?!

I was at the doctor earlier this afternoon about my knee, which isn't improving.  He wants to do an MRI to see what is going on in there, so for now hockey and running are off-limits, but I may still bike and run.  Hopefully the MRI will be in the next week or so.  The knee was not feeling so nice over the weekend, so I didn't really do any training.  But now that I know I can bike and swim without causing further problems, I will focus on that and maybe some core and strength training.

Edited by melbo55 2011-01-24 2:58 PM
2011-01-24 4:22 PM

User image

Regular
Wow, Michael. What a great masterpiece on transitions! That is a lot of great information and inspiration and I loved the addition of the video clips to illustrate. I will need a lot of practice. That helps to know what to practice.
Sorry about your grandmother. I know what it is like to spend time in waiting rooms, ER, etc. since I am sole caretaker for my mother and she has health problems. Always good to bring something to do but no internet! Sometimes I have noticed hospitals don't have very good cell reception either. I have taken up knitting.

Neil,
Loved the picture of the kids group and you all are great for going this for these kids.

Bill,
Yea for progress! And weight loss just happened for me when training picked up. I lost 8 lbs by the time of the tri last year. It is back on now but expect as I pick up again I will lose it again.

Laura,
TNT is how I got involved with triathlon. Too many running injuries started crosstraining with cycling then went to a TNT meeting and they talked me into learning to swim too. It was a totally awesome experience. My coaches were great. It took me from Nov to May to learn to swim more than 25 yds sputtering and coughing but they did not give up on me. Their words are still in my head every time I swim. I was near last out of the water at the triathlon in June but I made the .9 mile without stopping and there was one of my coaches cheering. I raised about 3,000 total for LLS.

And Melanie,
Hope the knee is nothing serious. Injuries suck.

Went for a snow run yesterday with my husband. He got us some Yaktraks-rubber things that fit on the bottom of your shoe with a long spring laced sideways on the bottom, gives really good footing. It was beautiful. We have a rails to trails project that goes almost all the way across Missouri with an 8 mile leg to Columbia where I live. (great name for a city, right Michael?). We ran on the trail. I stopped hating the snow for about an hour.
Cheers to everyone and keep on working and having fun!
Jan
2011-01-24 5:30 PM

User image

Veteran
eastleigh

Hi Guys !

Sorry I have not been around for the last week here in the forum, rest assured my training blog has atleast been maintained.

Excellent piece on Transition Michael, thanks v much, i 1st scanned it and looked at the 1st Transition pic and then the 2nd and laughed out loud, my initial thoughts of the 1st pic were, wow thats tidy, what the heck is there and then looking at the 2nd pic inside my brain i went ............. aaahhhhh !!!!! lol !!

I hope your gran gets better soon.

Things have been manic for me over the past week or so with work and family problems, (grandparents health also), and to top it off my achilles gave uop on me 3 miles into a 9 miler run home from work, so training suffered last week and i wont be able to run this week but can bike so plan to clock 5 x 20 mile turbo sessions instead. (i like having targets)

I hope your all well and hopefully will be more active this week,

T

2011-01-25 7:04 AM
in reply to: #3318739

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
njc65 - 2011-01-24 3:35 PM
Experior - 2011-01-24 6:51 PM

ok ok I'll join you on the core routine michael, have you seen this workout, works for me

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

I've done part of that one before too.  One or two of them don't do so much for me, but overall I like that routine.  So OK, it's a deal.  I'll do that three times per week.  I'll try to 'ease' into that by doing it once or twice this week before Feb. hits.

(I'll also try to gain a lot of water weight so I can hit my weight goal.   Kidding...
2011-01-25 7:13 AM
in reply to: #3318823

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
melbo55 - 2011-01-24 3:57 PM Michael - Best wished to your grandmother.  Thanks for the excellent post on transitions!  It is so nice to have all the information from your posts in one handy place!   And a few questions: [1] where is the best place to set up your stuff?  Directly under the bike? [2] Where do you put your wetsuit when you are done with it so it isn't in anyone else's way?  In my limited tri experience, I have always tried to put my things as much centered (from side to side, more toward front tire front to back) under my bike, as well as the wetsuit when I was done, but have occasionally found my wetsuit thrown somewhere (by someone else) away from my things.

1. If you have your bike racked on the seat then you should be able to put your stuff (there won't be much of it, right? Wink  beside the front tire.  Try to make sure that the tire is 'shielding' it somewhat by the tire so that it will not be so easy for someone to accidentally kick your stuff.  If the bike net to you is racked on the opposite side of the rack (as it should be -- bikes should alternate which side of the rack they use) then the person net to you should have no reason to scatter your stuff.

2.  I try to throw it into the center of the rack, basically right up under the bar.  Nobody should have reason to mess with it there, but yeah, sometimes things do get scattered.

I was at the doctor earlier this afternoon about my knee, which isn't improving.  He wants to do an MRI to see what is going on in there, so for now hockey and running are off-limits, but I may still bike and run.  Hopefully the MRI will be in the next week or so.  The knee was not feeling so nice over the weekend, so I didn't really do any training.  But now that I know I can bike and swim without causing further problems, I will focus on that and maybe some core and strength training.

Good luck with the knee.  I hope it doesn't come to surgery, but I will tell you that I had knee surgery (ACL replacement, meniscectomy) about 4 years ago.  It is possible  to come back from it!  (Well, in my case, not so much 'come back' as start up in the first place...)  You are active and in good shape, so you should get through it fine, whatever the issue is.

2011-01-25 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3318998

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
davisjanis58 - 2011-01-24 5:22 PM

My coaches were great. It took me from Nov to May to learn to swim more than 25 yds sputtering and coughing but they did not give up on me.

And equally important, you did not give up on yourself.  That's a great lesson for all of us.

Went for a snow run yesterday with my husband. He got us some Yaktraks-rubber things that fit on the bottom of your shoe with a long spring laced sideways on the bottom, gives really good footing. It was beautiful. We have a rails to trails project that goes almost all the way across Missouri with an 8 mile leg to Columbia where I live. (great name for a city, right Michael?).

I love trail running -- I wish I had easy access to it, but I live pretty much in the center of town (um, Columbia -- do I know you?).  No real trails here unless I drive 20 minutes....

We spend some time in the mountains, especially in the summer, care-taking a cabin for some friends of ours.  It is training heaven there -- small clean lake for swimming, mountains for biking, and trails for running.
2011-01-25 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3319094

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Tiesim - 2011-01-24 6:30 PM

Things have been manic for me over the past week or so with work and family problems, (grandparents health also), and to top it off my achilles gave uop on me 3 miles into a 9 miler run home from work, so training suffered last week and i wont be able to run this week but can bike so plan to clock 5 x 20 mile turbo sessions instead. (i like having targets)

Careful with that Achilles, T.   Try to walk flat footed up stairs, and try not to pedal too much 'toes down' on the bike (which puts more stress on the Achilles).  Good luck with it!

2011-01-25 4:04 PM

User image

east hampton
so I have a question i've been pondering for a few days.  as one begins tri training, how can you tell when your body needs to rest vs. when it's time to push your body a little harder. For example, I swam in Master's today about 1.5 miles in intervals over an hour and a half.  I would also like to go to spin tonight, but my energy level feels really low.  This morning, I didn't get the boost I sometimes get from working out hard, instead I've been feeling groggy all day.   I hope in a few more weeks I'll get use to this new level of working out but the question remains, how do you all gauge what type and level of work or rest your body needs? 

2011-01-25 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
If I may, are you eating anything as far as recovery foods following a hard workout.  I like to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwich after a hard workout.  I also use  Endurox recovery drink as well, or much simpler, maybe you are coming down with a cold.
2011-01-25 6:26 PM

User image

east hampton
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it so much! I have been thinking a lot about nutrition and wondering if I'm not eating enough or the right kinds of food given this new tri-life style i'm leading. I currently don't  have a plan in place for what i eat after a hard workout.  I do try to eat, and i do try to eat mostly whole foods  but I am feeling a bit at a loss for what works for me nutritionally now.

When it comes to food in my lifestyle, I haven't been able to find a good fit. To explain let me talk about my weight, as  I've always been overweight by somewhere between 15-40 pounds.  The few times i've lost weight and got down around that 15 pounds overweight, rather than 40 pounds, is when I ate only around 1200 calories or less a day with a good 30-45 minutes of exercising. I once had some gym tell me my resting metabolic rate was 1200 calories, I don't feel like it was really accurate, but it is a piece of info floating around in my head.  I observe Ramadan, and this year when I was down to eating two very small meals a day by the end of the month my weight only was down 3 pounds.  I don't eat junk food, I try to eat lots of vegetables and as a former farmer, have an affinity to really good and fresh foods. There are points in the past where I have overeaten but not in a long while.  I also found out i'm allergic to dairy last year, so that helped a bit. 

I speak about weight to indicate some problem I see with how my body processes food. I'm not fixated on being a certain weight, I'm just using it as a bench mark to explain my current situation.  I would love to feel good and full of energy again, no matter what the scale reads.  that is what i feel is important and missing right now. I track my food on and off and tend to eat around 1400-1500 calories a day.

so, to get back to your originally question, I don't have a specific food plan post or pre hard workouts in place, but I do feel like it would be a good idea. I"m open to any thoughts from the group.

Edited by sumayahrose 2011-01-26 8:35 AM
2011-01-26 2:05 PM

User image

Regular
Delmar
Hello, Everyone. 

Sorry I have not been able to post lately. I am still nursing a head cold that has kept me away from my now favorite sport: swimming | .... I was able to bike and run yesterday but that really triggered the worst part of the cold and last night I just felt miserable. Self Pity section over. I feel better today and ready to go back running tomorrow.

Rose: 1.5 miles swimming is great ... congrats ... no wonder you felt tired. As Bill said, try to add some recovery food to your diet. Mine is whey protein and a banana after every workout and it has really help.

Michael: Thanks for another great post on transitions ... I took a lot of notes out of your post. 

NEWS!! - I just got a bike!! ... I found a great deal for an entry level motobecane (used - thanks craigslist) and I am looking forward for some riding weather ... little issue: It came with clipless pedals ... not recommended for an inexperience rider, but I like challenges ... so practice has started to learn how to "unclip" fast and safe ... 

Y'all take care ... 

- Manuel 

2011-01-26 5:34 PM

User image

Expert
Dont spend a lot of time practicing unclipping, when you fall over, you come unclipped pretty fast.  Hope this helps.
2011-01-26 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3321437

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sumayahrose - 2011-01-25 7:26 PM Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it so much! I have been thinking a lot about nutrition and wondering if I'm not eating enough or the right kinds of food given this new tri-life style i'm leading. I currently don't  have a plan in place for what i eat after a hard workout.  I do try to eat, and i do try to eat mostly whole foods  but I am feeling a bit at a loss for what works for me nutritionally now.

When it comes to food in my lifestyle, I haven't been able to find a good fit. To explain let me talk about my weight, as  I've always been overweight by somewhere between 15-40 pounds.  The few times i've lost weight and got down around that 15 pounds overweight, rather than 40 pounds, is when I ate only around 1200 calories or less a day with a good 30-45 minutes of exercising. I once had some gym tell me my resting metabolic rate was 1200 calories, I don't feel like it was really accurate, but it is a piece of info floating around in my head.  I observe Ramadan, and this year when I was down to eating two very small meals a day by the end of the month my weight only was down 3 pounds.  I don't eat junk food, I try to eat lots of vegetables and as a former farmer, have an affinity to really good and fresh foods. There are points in the past where I have overeaten but not in a long while.  I also found out i'm allergic to dairy last year, so that helped a bit. 

I speak about weight to indicate some problem I see with how my body processes food. I'm not fixated on being a certain weight, I'm just using it as a bench mark to explain my current situation.  I would love to feel good and full of energy again, no matter what the scale reads.  that is what i feel is important and missing right now. I track my food on and off and tend to eat around 1400-1500 calories a day.

so, to get back to your originally question, I don't have a specific food plan post or pre hard workouts in place, but I do feel like it would be a good idea. I"m open to any thoughts from the group.

Laura,

Regarding weight and its relation to feeling tired:  Of course, it is only the weekly trends and not the day-to-day changes that really matter, but do you feel that you are, right now, losing weight or gaining, or maintaining?  I ask because if you are training more and losing weight, that would certainly account for feeling tired and worn out.

This is especially true -- and I think this is what Billy was astutely getting at -- if you are not eating much, or not eating the right things, after a session of training.  Determining what counts as 'the right things' for you is somewhat a matter of experiment, but some general guidelines can be helpful -- get in a good (and healthy -- it sounds like you've got that covered) mix of carbs and protein shortly after workout.  Anywhere from a 3:1 to a 5:1 ratio seems to be what studies indicate is best.  THe protein is for muscle repair.  The carbs are for glycogen replenishment.  The sooner your next workout will be, the more important this becomes.

As for eating less and not losing much weight:  our bodies are evil.  When we slow down our eating, they slow down their metabolism.  So during Ramadan, while your caloric intake is quite low, your body adjusts and lowers its metabolism. 

On the positive side, when you eat more (to a point!), your metabolism increases.

You are eating around 1400-1500 calories per day.  I am certainly no nutritional expert, but that sounds very low to me for someone who is physically active.  I wonder whether you simply aren't taking in enough calories?

If I were you (and again, I am not an expert on this stuff), I would try this experiment.  For 3-4 weeks, increase caloric intake by maybe a few hundred calories per day.  Keep it healthy -- you'll not do yourself any favors by just eating Cheetohs -- and balanced.  Track your weight, but also how you feel (how much energy you have during workouts, and also throughout the day).  Also be sure, during this time, that you are getting good sleep.  If, at the end of this time, you have gained weight, and are still feeling listless, then caloric intake is probably not your problem.  But you just might find that you body is fighting a battle -- it needs the calories because of your training, and because it is not getting them, you feel tired.

That's just my initial reaction to your second post.

As for your original question:  my initial reaction to any feelings of not wanting to train because I feel tired is to train anyway.  Most of the time, I feel better afterwards, and my energy returns to normal.  If I don't feel better afterwards, and my energy stays low, and I can't attribute that to other things (lack of sleep, incipient illness, stress, food), and if that feeling persists for more than a couple of training sessions, then I take a day off (maybe even two days off if it is really bad).

Here's hoping you're feeling better soon!

The short version:  Eat a bit more; sleep; if it persists for more than 2-3 training sessions, take a day or two off.

2011-01-26 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3323029

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
mdetuya - 2011-01-26 3:05 PM Hello, Everyone. 

Sorry I have not been able to post lately. I am still nursing a head cold that has kept me away from my now favorite sport: swimming | .... I was able to bike and run yesterday but that really triggered the worst part of the cold and last night I just felt miserable. Self Pity section over. I feel better today and ready to go back running tomorrow.

Glad you're on the mend!

Rose: 1.5 miles swimming is great ... congrats ... no wonder you felt tired. As Bill said, try to add some recovery food to your diet. Mine is whey protein and a banana after every workout and it has really help.

That's a great point about the swimming.  For some reason, swimming saps the energy out of me more than running or biking.  OK, part of that is that I'm not exactly a great swimmer.  But I've heard the same thing from others.  It could be as simple as that -- you are swimming more, and swimming does sap one's energy, especially when you are making advances in volume, as you (Laura) are.

NEWS!! - I just got a bike!! ... I found a great deal for an entry level motobecane (used - thanks craigslist) and I am looking forward for some riding weather ... little issue: It came with clipless pedals ... not recommended for an inexperience rider, but I like challenges ... so practice has started to learn how to "unclip" fast and safe ...

Woohoo!  That's great!  You're going to love it.

You'll get better at unclipping, but I can basically promise you that you will have the experience of coming to a stop at a light in traffic, failing to unclip, and slowly, inevitably, falling over to one side.  You will not hear the people in the car behind you laughing, but trust me, they will be...  Laughing

(Yes, this happened to me.  It is, I believe, a rite of passage...)
2011-01-26 9:28 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
2011-01-27 3:37 PM

User image

east hampton
You can totally handle clipless peddles!  I put some on my road bike after a few months and i love them.  you can practice by going to a spin class and clipping in and clipping out. Or go to a local bike shop and try on a trainer. I have not yet fallen, well, I actually fell once because I was on an incline getting off my bike on my driveway.  I was actually stopped, one leg on the ground, swung the other leg down but didn't swing far enough to compenciate for the incline and clipped right back in and fell righ over.  it was hysterical, I wish someone else ewas there to see it.

thanks for all the nutrition support, i am going to explore the advice, i feel positive things will turn around soon.
2011-01-27 4:30 PM

User image

Regular
One of the guys at the spin class I did with my TNT coaches last year told me the most important thing about not falling with clip in shoes was to unclip BEFORE stopping! Lol. I fell alot before I was able to master it and now I don't even think about it. I would ride around in a parking lot practicing so if you fall you won't be in traffic. ( I fall alot anyway, walking, running, standing...)
Jan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19