BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2011-02-12 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed!

Afternoon all!
Beautiful day here.  Tried to ride outside, got 2 miles into the ride and mechanical issues.  Head back, fix, head back out, emergency call from DW, head back.  Got a total of 16 miles in, will get another 20 on the treadmill tonight.

Shelly - good beer is always worth it but at the end of the ride.  Where will you ride?  There is a lady at my church that has a good loop out in St. Francisville that I want to ride.  Hopefully one of these weekends I will get out there.  Once your distance is up we can schedule a ride.

2011-02-12 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3352034

User image

Hi all! I had a pretty rough week but did get in a yoga class thurs and spin Friday - still havent made it to the pool lol. Will run 10.5 tmrw which will mean I meet my feb challenge for running... ANDI bought my 1st tri bike today!!!! YayA specialized amira- have the aerobar fitting this Friday :-)
2011-02-13 1:48 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Luna - Congrats on the bike!  We want pics!!

Beautiful day here, got up at 6 and rode 30 mins on the trainer.  Church, etc and hauled the horses/kids to pony club and they are riding.  Wish I had brought my running stuff or my bike.  Hoping for a long run tonight.  Not quite Luna's distance but 8 miles would be good.

2011-02-13 5:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
69 degrees here. i can't believe it. Whenever the weather is this nice however i'm either hungover or busy. Last night was a rough one. Either way I needed to take advantage of it. Went on a quick 11 mile ride today. First half of the ride i thought i was superman. Averaged 23mph everything was going great.....then i had to turn around. i quickly realized why i was going so fast. you never notice how windy it is until you have to ride into it. couple hours after my ride i'm thinking it wasn't such a good idea. i will be adding to the permanent indentation on my couch tonight
2011-02-13 6:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Really great weather here in NC this weekend.  Took my brother-in-law to a local mountain bike trail and rode for ~30 minutes - more or less 2 miles.  I was really disappointed to stop with this but his hands and legs were shaking and he could hardly stand up, so it was time to head back to the car.  Tried to get a ride in on the road bike this morning and after 2 miles, I thought my finger tips were going to fall off ... 38*f down here at 9:00.

More nice weather in store for the week though and I'll get back to the norm routine this week ... the ribs will just have to hurt - HTFU!!!!

2011-02-13 9:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Lees Summit
Learned a lesson today. Do the workout first thing in the morning. If I wait, other things usually pop up, and before you know it, the day is over.

2011-02-14 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3353409

User image

hi all- hope everyone had a great weekend- my ankle/ foot were still hurting from a slip and fall on ice last monday, so my 10.5 long run didn't happen :-(

i did however get up at 5:30 this morning and swim 750m. which is a bloody miracle since i haven't been in a pool since last year. and id din't drown! yay.

hope everyone has a good monday :-)
2011-02-14 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Gary I was watching some video over lunch on making the quick transition and noticed several sliding their foot into the shoes without socks.  What the chance of blisters, are socks a must or should I modify my training now and not use a sock?  Here's an example video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myz9PN5Ey10&NR=1

2011-02-14 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3354235

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Dorm57 - 2011-02-14 11:36 AM Gary I was watching some video over lunch on making the quick transition and noticed several sliding their foot into the shoes without socks.  What the chance of blisters, are socks a must or should I modify my training now and not use a sock?  Here's an example video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myz9PN5Ey10&NR=1

Can't see the video here from work but a couple of points:
1.  If you haven't gotten them already check into Yankz (or their competitors).  No more tying shoe laces.  Just slip your shoe on/off.  Save some valuable time in transitions.  I love them and have been using them for a couple of years.
2.  Sockless - For the bike I will go sockless for Oly distance or less.  Running 5ks I have done sockless but I usually wear socks for running.

Sockless isn't for everyone.  If you want to give it a try then definitely try in on your next short run.  Make sure to build up with it.

Luna - RICE that foot/ankle and let it heal

Randy - yep, I agree.  Evening workouts are more likely to get canceled or shortened.  My 8 miler last night went to 7.1 but it was 9:15 pm and I had to get in and get things ready for today.  In my defense I did get up at 6:15 am to get 30 minutes on the trainer.

Okay folks, I know some of you have made your IM/HIM challenge but time to post some numbers.  I noticed I failed to specify a distance so I will go for IM distance for all three.

Weather here is beautiful!  Warm and sunny.  Should have taken today off and gone for a long ride.
2011-02-14 7:11 PM

User image

Charlotte, NC
Sucking of late...but tomorrow's a new day...
2011-02-14 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3355158

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
martypit - 2011-02-14 7:11 PM Sucking of late...but tomorrow's a new day...

Marty - keep the faith!  It will happen!  If nothing else look for those quick moments; 15 min run/ride, etc just to clear your head.

Okay, looked at the video and some great pointers.  Like I mentioned early in the thread get the wet suit down to your waist.  Clean transition area except that mat was sticking way out behind the bike.  Some races aren't going to let you do that.  I leave my bike shoes on the bike to start with and do a modified flying start.  Note that when he comes back from the ride his shoes are on his bike.  He probably does a flying dismount (probably better name is moving dismount) which is easy to learn and does save time.

Remember: Practice your transitions!!!!

2011-02-14 10:52 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Randy- I totally agree. I do so much more when I just get up and go workout. Too many times I don't and then life and the kids get in the way. Great reminder.

Luna- hope your foot heals quickly. Hate to hear about the fall. I spent Sunday ice skating and was thinking that it may have not been the best idea as all it would take was one fall to seriously mess with my training. Thankfully that didn't happen.

Dorm- I'm glad you posted the video and asked the question. I was wondering about going sockless myself. I think I will try it and see.

I'm only at 45 miles for the month so have a good ways to go to meet IM distance. May not get it in with the swim class but that's ok- at least I won't drown- lol.

Speaking of swim class- the instructor says I most certainly won't drown. Lo and behold he says I'm a natural in the water and that he thinks the swim will be my best event. I have loved the two classes and can't wait until tomorow night's. The coach is really great - just a very dynamic guy and the class is awesome- even with the cold. It's amazing to me already how much easier swimming is when you do it properly. I can't even imagine when we really get into things.  The class is four days a week though, so between working and swim class, I don't have much other time for the bike or run. I am getting the mandated time on my 12 week training plan, but that's pushing it.

Have questions about bicycle pumps but too tired and this novel is long enough so I'll ask those tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great workout day tomorrow.

Shelly

Athleta Iron Girl New Orleans- May 22- sprint
2011-02-15 8:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
I'm at 64mi on the bike. Had a good workout this morning. Everyone keep it up the good work
2011-02-15 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3355414

User image

fitmomma my swim coach took me on as a pet project because i was so bad lol! that's great though! I didn't wake up early enough to swim this morning and spent last night at the vet hospital with my kitten who someone broke her leg while i was at work. shoot me. i really should cancel my bike order but really really don't want to. also, i think i'll become a vet in my next life- and develop an interest in swimming from an early age. ;-)

it's freeeezing here today and my foot still hurts so i'm gonna hit the elliptical during lunch. have an 18.5 mile long run saturday morning. yikes!
2011-02-15 9:33 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Morning all!
Had a great swim yesterday with Masters Class.  Made Calzone for the wife for valentines day.  Managed an hour on the bike trainer last night.  Today is a SRD and will rest the legs.  Taking the bike in for a tune-up and checking out the P1 they have on sale at the LBS.

Luna - my wife is a Vet, very handy when you have horses, dogs, cats, lizard, etc.  Unfortunately she is constantly being asked about "we need to find a home for ....".  A lot of good dogs, cats, horses, etc being put down due to the economy, etc
2011-02-15 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3355866

User image

oooh gary i am so jealous- this poor kitten (7 months old) is costing me $3600. and i recently had to put down her brother who was born with a liver shunt :-( they do get costly, but i was able to finance the surgery with no interest for 18 months. luckily, i've paid for my races for the year... and for most of my vacation- in july i'll be scuba diving in australia and papua new guinea for 3 weeks. i was hoping to start off the trip with no credit card debt, but with my new bike and the broken leg- not so much!

2011-02-15 11:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
So ... back in the saddle this week.  I spent an 1hr & 15 minutes in the pool last night with a Masters Novice clinic.  And while I have a looong way to go, I definitely see improvement from week to week. 

Will saddle up on the spinning bike tonight for an hour and afterwards hit the treadmill for some run time. 

I went over the weekend to a local shop here called "TrySports"which is a retailer for shoes, apparel, bikes, bike repairs, et al.  These 'fit' people for shoes and orthotics, so I plan to try these out on the treadmill tonight ... for $250 for the pair I better see some improvement

Yess ... the ribs are still very sore ...
2011-02-15 3:50 PM
in reply to: #3355880

User image

Expert
Hammond
and for most of my vacation- in july i'll be scuba diving in australia and papua new guinea for 3 weeks.

Luna,
I'll send you some of my swim genetics if you'll take me on your scuba diving vacation- lol. Hope you are able to get your run in this weekend but don't push it with your foot. You don't want to make it worse.

Shelly

2011-02-16 12:59 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Afternoon all.  Went to a masters swim session and really felt like a swimmer today.  The concept of "downhill swimming" came easy today and I could really feel my catch/pull engage.  I am not the greatest swimmer and to feel like I gliding thru the water was great.  Now I just need to build my endurance at faster paces.

With the bike in the shop its run or swim until Friday.  Checked out a used CD0.1.  If I had the money I would have bought it.  He had really upgraded it and I could just tell how fast it was.  Will have to see.

Fit - LOL!
Dorm - ouch! $250 good shoes/orthotics will save your knees.  Hope they work out.

Luna - Yes, it does help.  Still end up with a pretty good bill but mainly for medicines, labs, etc.  Our hound is going thru the heartworm process.  When we adopted her we new she had heartworms and now its a 2-3 month process of pretty much just rest.  No activity.  Too bad as I had her up to 5 mile runs.

JPF - nice job on the bike miles!

Marty - things getting better?

Bert - how are things?

Randy - getting those morning workouts in?

Billy - you out there?  Hey Mr. Ironman if you have some nutrition tips for the group we would appreciate it!
2011-02-17 12:48 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Morning all!
How is everyone?  Had a nice run last night and a great (but short) swim today.  Bike should be ready tomorrow. 

2011-02-17 1:43 PM

User image

hollah- got in a 750 m swim this morning then did a yoga for the injured class. my foot still hurts but only when i wear shoes- if i'm barefoot around the house, i barely notice it- the pain is along the outside rear part of the foot connecting to the outer heel but not the arch...

anyone ever had this?

2011-02-18 8:19 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Evening all!
Had a great swim but a not so great run tonight.  This week has been great for my swimming but tonight I was just too tired and cut the run short.  Got my bike back from the LBS and fresh from its tune-up I am hoping to ride in the morning.

Luna - sorry no help here.  RICE and take it easy.
2011-02-20 10:55 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
QUick flyby.

Decent ride yesterday but family stuff cut it shorter than wanted.  Two days of 8+hrs of sleep and still feel like I have been run over by a truck.  Long run today.  Wish me luck!
2011-02-21 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Lees Summit
Still doing indoor stuff. Got 4 miles on the treadmill and a Spin Class in on Sunday. Got a 1500 yard swim in this morning, and will get out for a little outdoor run for lunch today.
2011-02-21 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
So how's everyone's training going. We've had some gorgeous riding weather but unfortunately I haven't really been able to take much advantage of it. Have gotten up to 72 miles on the challenge though so I'm getting there. Sadly though, so is the end of the month- lol. Gary would have to choose a shortened month for the challenge ;-).

Finally got most of the crucial supplies for my bike. Still want to get some riding gloves. Gotta find some pink and black though- lol. I've been reading books on cycling and still have so much to learn. What the heck was I thinking- trying to get into three sports all at once- haha. Still have a mile long list of wants/needs. Oh where oh where did I put that winning lottery ticket? I really need it right about now- haha.

May will be here before I know it.

Shelly

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115