BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-01-19 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3257746

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL
Drew, Thanks for the thoughtful advice. I am definitely leaning toward a full. I am tempted by the cheaper price of sleeveless but will need the warmth and ++ buoyancy. There is virtually no warm water here. These Colorado lakes are mid 60 maybe up to 70 in July/August (if you're lucky) and the early june races are frigid. I thought I would drown in my first ows sprint tri-my face hit the water and I started hyperventilating like crazy. it was pretty dreadful.. was a sub 50 degree morning with a drizzle and every bit of training went right out the window. It was ugly. I was never happier to get out of water in my life. I now know of "warm caps" and-I think if pared with a full suit, I will be as snug as can be expected. Also learned to get wet before the start...no matter how crappy the weather! I have been checking out the website for Xterra and if I save up and hit a 50% sale..that might fit into the budget. Have to see. Won't need it until May, so I have time to save. Thanks again for the advice.

2011-01-19 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3307993

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
I am off to my first Masters Swim class in about 10 weeks. Besides the getting up at 4:30Am this might be brutal.

Let us know how it goes! 
2011-01-19 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3308703

User image

Veteran
Manhattan Beach, CA
Getting nervous yet? Laughing  What race is it?

More excited than nervous at this point, but I'm sure I'll get there.  It's basically like I'm starting the sport all over again.  The first race is 99% locked in for USAT Elite Sprint Nationals in March.  It's taking place in Clermont, FL.  It will be insanely fast, draft-legal and a good learning experience.

They are putting on an age-group draft legal event as well, which should give a lot of people a great opportunity to experience that type of racing. 
2011-01-19 7:20 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
OK, well that answered my wetsuit question.  I am glad that everyone gave me some advice.  I appreciate all the feedback.  I actually looked at the XTerra wetsuit the other day, they seem to be a really good deal for the entry level suit, the Promotion brand suit sounded like a good deal but seems to have some really poor reviews on quality of workmanship.  And the XTerra suit can be put on and tried and returned if you need different size.... That is pretty good I would say.  Ok, so next on my list, tri suit and wetsuit.  The trisuit seems easy enough, lot of places have last years line on sale for affordable price and I think XTerra for the wetsuit, and I will have most of my major gear taken care of.  NOW back to training   Going to hit the pool tonight, it is bitter cold out and windy with some snow, glad I joined the gym. 
2011-01-19 9:31 PM

User image

Veteran
I hemmed and hawed about wearing a wetsuit at my last sprint - and decided to do so.  I was first in my AG until I was gripped by a feeling of panic regarding the choking feeling/trapped feeling because of the sleeves and tight neck.  This year, I was gifted a sleeveless and I can't WAIT - I did practice some in the long-sleeve but I will practice more in the sleeveless and may even cut the neck if needed. (Who knew I had an iron neck?).  Anyway, I have been told to go with the wetsuit also. It was a tough decision for me b/c I'm a strong swimmer and sprints are so short to lose that transition time.  I still ponder the matter often...

Tonight I was able to workout for a bit on my bike. Life has been SO busy and I'm thinking I may have to suck it up and start getting up early.  The problem is that my daughter will not go to sleep before 10:30PM so it makes it HARD. However, I have heard that busy family people just have to suck it up and deal if they want consistent workout time.  I may have reached that point. Anyway, hubby watched our girl tonight but my awesome bike was cut off by a lack of internet. Suddenly I was staring at a concrete wall rather than an triumphant Macca.  I tried to come back but stopped at that 30 minute mark.

Question: I have some pain on the outside quadrant/pinky-toe area of my right foot.  Am I doing something wrong when I pedal to cause this?  I pay much less attention to form when I'm watchin' the Ironman!  Also, this is the most volume I've done in awhile.

Finally, I DID IT! I finally did a strength workout.
Planks, Cobra push-ups, Regular push ups, glute exercises and even bicep curls!  I am thoroughly proud of myself. I dodged cat litter like a champ...not to mention cat spit-up cleanup between sets.  That's what being a triatha-mom is all about :P Did it all at 10:00 PM also while trying to stay out of the drama of hubby putting our girl to bed.

You guys are pushing me on way beyond where I think I was last year at this time. I'm getting EXCITED for tri season rather than just nervous - I want to place in my category (Athena) in a major way this year
2011-01-20 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
The neck on my wetsuit was a little too tight for me.  I wrapped it around  a foot ball for a couple of days, and it loosened it up just enough to not be so constricting.

2011-01-20 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3309148

User image

Extreme Veteran
andrew_haberkorn - 2011-01-19 12:43 PM

I am off to my first Masters Swim class in about 10 weeks. Besides the getting up at 4:30Am this might be brutal.

Let us know how it goes! 

Having not been in the pool for 10+weeks - guess what? I was slower. We did 200 yard time trials which are used to base our paces off of - I was about 15 seconds slower - 2:58.

Read more - http://www.powermultisport.com/2011/01/masters-swim-more-like-legen...
2011-01-20 1:25 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Ok, got a HR monitor, Polar RS100, basic unit, but I think it will do enough for what I need.  I used on my run this morning for the first time. 

Microspawn-- I start school next week and I am going to have to get up early to do my morning workouts, not 4:30 but still not looking forward to it.  Glad you are too, so I know others have similar conditions.  Race this weekend, will be my 2nd 5k.  I am in a larger AG this time 30-39, I think there is like 40 in my AG.  I am hoping that since this is a flat course rather than the hill I ran last time I will have a better time.  I am really shooting for just under 27''.  I was hoping for mild weather but looks like it may snow Sat. night so not so sure about that. 
2011-01-20 10:52 PM

User image

Sunderland
I'm sold on the whole wetsuit thing.  Thanks Drew and everyone that chimed in with their experiences.  Drew, thanks for the sleeves vs. sleeveless explanation.  I was going to ask about that.  I see myself buying a wetsuit this spring.

The weather here in Western Mass has been abysmal.  I did my normal 3 mile run yesterday after work and ended up with soaking wet shoes for the last half of it.  The slush monster got a hold of me at around the 1 mile mark.  Not fun.  I went for a swim in the evening.  It ended up being shorter than I would have liked because the pool was packed and I just couldn't take it.  I didn't get any training in tonight because I had a couple commitments after work.  I'm looking forward to getting back on track tomorrow and over the weekend.  It's supposed to be cold but that's okay.  I can deal with cold.  Slush is no good but cold I can work with.

I got my W-2 today and did my taxes.  Unfortunately, I'm one of the 40 million Americans that has to wait until mid-to-late February to actually file them but it's all good.  When Uncle Sam cuts me a check, I'm buying a road bike.  I can't wait.

Bert - Good luck in your 5K this weekend.  I'm sure you'll do great.  I was just telling my brother that I really wanted to run a 5K again to see how I'd do.  The race scene has really dried up around here so it looks like I'll have to wait a while longer.

2011-01-21 4:48 AM
in reply to: #3311585

User image

Extreme Veteran
bledsoepatriot - 2011-01-20 1:25 PM

Microspawn-- I start school next week and I am going to have to get up early to do my morning workouts, not 4:30 but still not looking forward to it. 

Morning!

I had two good sessions yesterday. A hard trainer ride in the AM and a hard, solid tempo run at lunch (the legs were tired).

Off to the swim.
2011-01-21 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
I had a total nutruitional fail yesterday.  Skipped breakfast (well, three cups of coffee...), a piece of toast for lunch, and half a pizza for dinner.  Feeling slow this morning.  Last night I had a softball meeting (the season starts in about a month), my girls will be on two different teams, and I'm coaching them both...  there goes a little more time!  But it IS fun.  Laughing 

great news though, suns been out the last two days, looks god for today, and I got my mtb fixed last night (had a stuck front brake and two flat tires).  Heading out for a long ride in the dirt today!  yeah!

I've got to go wake up my daughter for school now, I hate doing that. Frown 

2011-01-21 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Dixbry-great advice on the neck stretching, a football, huh? Who'd a thunk it!!-nice pic too!

Bert-Hope you kill the Yeti! Say hi to the lovely town of Morrison for me! Are you going to wear your new monitor on the race? Good Luck and let us know how it went.

MicroS- You're a machine! Your swim times will be back soon. Especially with all the great motivation you have in your masters group.

Bend-What a great way to spend your refund! love it! Hope it isn't too cold this weekend for ya-you really have been pelted, haven't you? I'm from NH and remember those nor'easters still to this day!

Norc-coaching both daughters? You will be super busy! How cool, though, I bet they really enjoy having you for a coach! I had a total nutrition fail day myself yesterday...went to happy hour and that derailed that whole day...but today is a new day, right??

gcoll-way to go on the strength session! I can only imagine how tough this training is for parents with little ones at home. I have a tough enough time and both my sons are grown (sort of). I'm sure you have to have it really planned out and organized. Keep at it, girl!

Monkey-Have you been able to ride on that bike outside yet? I haven't hardly at all...i am hoping for a decent day this weekend weatherwise to get out there and check it out!!

Drew-How is our fearless leader today? What do you have going this weekend?

mandsberry-How was your week?

hope you all have a great weekend-I look forward to reading all about it!

Holly
2011-01-21 4:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have a last hard long run this weekend - 20 miles @ 7:05 pace. I will be taking gels with me on this long run.

I am NOT pumped about it. Last year I did these runs as races with my buddies. No takers this year. There is a 30k (18.6 miles) in New Orleans in the levy (read - cold and windy). Not fun but last year I ran it at a 6:55 pace. It took a lot out of me. (race report - http://www.powermultisport.com/2010/02/wall-30k-race-report.html)

I need to stick to my plan. I will run this on Sunday - where, not sure yet.

Oh yeah, Masters Swim kicked my butt again - I was able to maintain the 10 x 100 yards on 1:32 but the 6 x 50 on 40 - not so much. Both sets had 20 seconds rest between repeats.
2011-01-22 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3313900

User image

Expert
Hollz - 2011-01-21 11:54 AM Norc-coaching both daughters? You will be super busy! How cool, though, I bet they really enjoy having you for a coach! I had a total nutrition fail day myself yesterday...went to happy hour and that derailed that whole day...but today is a new day, right??

I've been coaching my older daughter for a few years, I do it together with another dad from school.  This year my younger will have to be on a different team cause my older girl got moved up a league (they were on the same team last year), so I'll do her team too along with another dad.  It's nothing hardcore, we're talking first through 4th grade kids, one practice a week for each, then games on Saturday mornings.  Fun stuff!

I got back on track with food, lately I've been super good about it.  I keep it nice and simple, eggs and veggies for breakfast, simple sandwich for lunch, and I've got a handful of easy things I can do for dinners.  Boring but predictable is my motto for food lately!

I had a great mountain bike ride yesterday (it's been a LONG time)!  I ended up just cruising most of the ride at a pretty easy pace because since it was the first sunny Friday in a long time, the trail was just packed with other bikers and hikers.  Definately not a day to try and set a PR out there...  Plus, I had inflation problems with my front wheel so I threw a tube in it for the day and ran 10psi more than normal (usually I run tubeless at around 30psi).  Still fun though!
2011-01-22 6:46 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Ok night before race, going to keep up with the water, have some pasta and chicken, watch some tube and crash!  Had to work a long Saturday so I am glad today is a day of rest.  I am excited and nervous for tomorrow.  I will let everyone know how it goes.  I really am hoping to be in the top 1/2 of my AG, few more this time I think 40 compared to the 13 in my first race.  Happy trails all, and hope to report good news tomorrow night!!
2011-01-22 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3315620

User image

New user

Greenville, SC
bledsoepatriot - 2011-01-22 7:46 PM Ok night before race, going to keep up with the water, have some pasta and chicken, watch some tube and crash!  Had to work a long Saturday so I am glad today is a day of rest.  I am excited and nervous for tomorrow.  I will let everyone know how it goes.  I really am hoping to be in the top 1/2 of my AG, few more this time I think 40 compared to the 13 in my first race.  Happy trails all, and hope to report good news tomorrow night!!

Good luck on your race!

2011-01-22 9:39 PM

User image

Sunderland
bledsoepatriot - 2011-01-22 7:46 PM Ok night before race, going to keep up with the water, have some pasta and chicken, watch some tube and crash!  Had to work a long Saturday so I am glad today is a day of rest.  I am excited and nervous for tomorrow.  I will let everyone know how it goes.  I really am hoping to be in the top 1/2 of my AG, few more this time I think 40 compared to the 13 in my first race.  Happy trails all, and hope to report good news tomorrow night!!

Good luck tomorrow!  I'm sure you'll do great! 
2011-01-22 10:53 PM

User image

Expert
bledsoepatriot - 2011-01-22 4:46 PM Ok night before race, going to keep up with the water, have some pasta and chicken, watch some tube and crash!  Had to work a long Saturday so I am glad today is a day of rest.  I am excited and nervous for tomorrow.  I will let everyone know how it goes.  I really am hoping to be in the top 1/2 of my AG, few more this time I think 40 compared to the 13 in my first race.  Happy trails all, and hope to report good news tomorrow night!!

hope you're not still up. Laughing  Have a great race, looking forward to reading about it!
2011-01-23 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Headed out for a 20 mile run @ 7:05 minutes per mile pace - there is fear - see you in 2:21:40

http://www.powermultisport.com/2011/01/last-hard-long-runmardi-gras...
2011-01-23 12:20 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Ok will give full summary when I get home, this is posting from my phone: 25:52
2011-01-23 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3316333

User image

Extreme Veteran
microspawn - 2011-01-23 12:13 PM

Headed out for a 20 mile run @ 7:05 minutes per mile pace - there is fear - see you in 2:21:40

http://www.powermultisport.com/2011/01/last-hard-long-runmardi-gras...

2:26:05 - 7:18 pace. It was a tough day but I am calling it a success.

2011-01-23 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3316343

User image

Sunderland
bledsoepatriot - 2011-01-23 1:20 PM Ok will give full summary when I get home, this is posting from my phone: 25:52

Fantastic!  Congratulations on your race.  That is seriously awesome.  I can't wait to get the full story.

microspawn - 2011-01-23 4:18 PM
microspawn - 2011-01-23 12:13 PM Headed out for a 20 mile run @ 7:05 minutes per mile pace - there is fear - see you in 2:21:40 http://www.powermultisport.com/2011/01/last-hard-long-runmardi-gras...
2:26:05 - 7:18 pace. It was a tough day but I am calling it a success.

I would definitely call that run a success.  It may have been a little off what you were shooting for but not by much.  Running 20 miles is unimaginable to me right now.  For what it's worth, I'm impressed.

----

The past few days have been pretty decent around here.  It's been in the 20's which is pretty normal for this time of year and we haven't had any more snow or slush.  I ran 3 miles on Friday and then went to the Y to swim.  Nothing too exciting there but yesterday I went out for a long run with my brother and ran 5.1 miles in 51:28.  I felt absolutely amazing.  I've never run that far and I felt great the whole way.  I couldn't believe it.

Today I did an easy 3 miles with my brother.  I wanted to get out while it was sunny and not snowing.  We're supposed to get another storm early this coming week.  Yuck.

2011-01-23 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3316668

User image

Colorado Springs

Fantastic!  Congratulations on your race.  That is seriously awesome.  I can't wait to get the full story.

Thanks, I have posted my race report!! Crushed my time and have a new PR and a new time to base my races off.
2011-01-23 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3316343

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
bledsoepatriot - 2011-01-23 1:20 PM Ok will give full summary when I get home, this is posting from my phone: 25:52

Great job on the PR.  I usually float for a solid week after a PR in just about any distance.  I won't hit any early in the year, but if all goes well, I should be in position to PR my 10K & 1/2 Mary times towards the end of the year.

As for your race report, I don't know how anyone else feels, but I usually don't worry about hydration for anything under an 8K.  Exception if it's blistering hot outside,  but I seem to be good without a water stop at those distances.
2011-01-23 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3317048

User image

Colorado Springs
mandsberry - 2011-01-23 7:15 PM

Great job on the PR.  I usually float for a solid week after a PR in just about any distance.  I won't hit any early in the year, but if all goes well, I should be in position to PR my 10K & 1/2 Mary times towards the end of the year.

As for your race report, I don't know how anyone else feels, but I usually don't worry about hydration for anything under an 8K.  Exception if it's blistering hot outside,  but I seem to be good without a water stop at those distances.

Thanks I will definitely take that in  consideration.  I have a little 8oz bottle on my race belt and I can always have that if I do want a little something to keep moist. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Andrew Haberkorn's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24