Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2011-04-15 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3448108

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED
bjflynn - 2011-04-15 8:59 AM Good luck this weekend Courtney!

Same to you as well Brian, NO FLATS!!!!!!!

2011-04-15 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3448431

User image

Thanks Roy
2011-04-15 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3258876

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Thanks Brian! Good luck to you too!
2011-04-15 1:16 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Roy,

Not going to see you this weekend.  My wife's uncle passed away unexpectedly today so we are staying in town.  Perhaps we can ride sometime the next time we visit Lakeland.

2011-04-15 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Sorry for your family's loss Sean.
2011-04-15 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Sorry for you family's loss Sean.

2011-04-16 11:26 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Thank you.

So Roy how did it go?  Did it go off smoothly?

2011-04-16 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Edited by buc20 2011-04-16 11:58 AM
2011-04-16 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3450099

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Sean sorry you could not make today. I got to believe that it went about as well as it could go for a first year event. I volunteered the swim, it went great and from what I heard the rest went well too. So the Lakeland Rotary Club has to be very pleased with the event. It was a great day.

2011-04-17 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Well-- I am ALIVE at least!!!!!!!!!!!lol

So, the swim was awful!!! It was so rough seas were high and current strong. It was set with 3 bouys like a triangle, half way to the 1st bouy I was dying. I seriously considered quitting but then as I thought about it I decided that even if it took me an hour to swim I WOULD finish it! Thank god for the lifeguards on the paddleboards their words of encouragement helped me through the swim. They even said that usually this time in the morning it is flat out there. I was the last female swimmer as it took me 35 mins to complete but I did beat two male swimmers(brightside) For the life of me I couldn't catch my breath and I did backstroke alot, until I rounded the third buoy and tried backstroke again and got dizzy so I tried freestyle again and I pushed throughand finally touched sand!!!!! The bike was really nice felt good the whole time went over one bridge twice, and kept it at 18mph until on the way back which was windy, could barely keep it at 14mph, legs actually felt good off the bike it was just the feet that were really numb. Run was good they changed the course to 1/2 street 1/2 beach was doing really good until on the return beach part when my friend the WIND came back to visit. As soon as I got off the beach I had the wind at my back and started booking it to the finish. My goal was to come in under 3:30 and I finished with 3:23:03  Had a blast, can't wait til next year's!!!!! After the race got a massage and adjustment lots of Biofreeze samples and won a $50 gift certificate from advocare products, and also a Visor from headsweats. All in all a good day, but my calf muscle is alittle sore:0)

Hope eveyone had a good weekend how did it go Brian?

2011-04-17 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3451513

User image

Great job Courtney!  I admire the mental toughness to get through that tough swim!

...................................................................................................................

I am HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spring Fever Tri: 400m swim, 12mi bike, 2mi run

Woke up @ 0400 ate a bowl of oatmeal and went through my check list has I packed my gear that I had laid out the night previous.

I arrived at the venue at 0545 and talked to a volunteer about the flow of the TA and chose a rack with bike #'s that were bigger than mine (#'s issued based on estimated swim times) so that I would have empty racks near me when I returned from the bike.  I ran an easy 0.75 mile around 0715 to get the blood flowing and ate a bannana. 

The swim was a pool TT with swimmers pushing off every 10". I was seeded #71 and completed the swim 56th out of 238 men.  I passed 3 people and then got stuck in a line of five due to a slow swimmer around the 300m mark.

T1 went really good. I was 81st out of 238 men @ 1:53.  The transition was setup with long runs between the swim and mount line.  I did not feel comfortable with the rubber banding of the shoes on the pedal, so I opted to step into the shoes in the TA and run with them to the mount line. Once I got up to speed I tightened the velcro and rachet straps.

Bike went well.  Tail wind out and 15mph headwind on return. Average speed 17.6mph and completed 77th of 238 men.  I think I could have pushed a little harder on the bike.

T2 was 1:40 which put me at 86th of 238 men.  I felt it went very smooth and I love the lock-laces I bought.

(Roy thanks for the tip of going sockless! It probably save me at least 5 spots in overall standing)

The run was the biggest surprise.  I ran it with an average of 8:17min/mi.  Where did that come from?!!!!!!! I didn't think I could move that fast if I fell off a cliff! Completed it 137 of 238 men.  Obviously there were alot of strong runners.

Goal time, between 1:12 and 1:14. Pipe dream, 1:10 or better. Actual 1:08:38

Results: 80 /238 men 16/44 AG.

Thanks for all the support and advice.  Tri/tbay group rocks!

Brian 

Edited by bjflynn 2011-04-17 8:54 PM

2011-04-18 5:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Awesome jobs Courtney and Brian. Way to stick to it and tough out that swim Courtney.I know what you mean on the run time Brian. I did not know where it cane from either. Maybe that means it takes us an hour to finally get warmed up....lol.Congrats once again.I had a weekend of tough physical work. Spent most of Sunday helping people in the cleanup of the tornado that came through Raleigh. It passed 1/2 mile from my house. Looks like a bomb was dropped in that area. Never seen damage like that. Helped a lady from church in cleaning tons of debris from her yard and then helped another friend get some huge trees down. Those winds were something when the came thru Saturday afternoon. We were fortunately in my family.I hope every has a great week. So excited to hear things went well Courtney and Brian. Way to go!!!!
2011-04-18 7:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Great Race Reports Courtney and Brian. Courtney I had looked at the results on Sat. and I knew it had to be rough seas. If it helps you feel at ease, my daughter raced yesterday in Boca, only a 400 yards swim. She is a swimmer but it took her over 10 min. to complete she said she even had to do some breastroke. She did win her age group. But back to the subject East coast swims are never going to be as smooth as on the Gulf Side. Great job sticking it out and finishing, and yes the Life Guards are also there for encouragement and do a great job. Way to Go.

Brian excellent job on getting your first event under your belt. No Flats,,YEA!!! and by your run time looks like you paced the bike correctly. There are some crazy fast runners out there in this world.

Congrats to both of you, Job well done!!!!!

2011-04-21 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3451916

User image

Thanks Roy and Brett! I had a blast.

This weeks volume is not going to be where I would like it to be because my pool is closed and I am going on a mini vaction with the Wife.  I was able to ride the trainer a couple of times doing 3/2 tempos. I bought of set of clip-on aero bars (Vision) to see if I like them using my existing road bike config. So far, I like how they feel on the trainer.  I am choking up on them like they are shorties. I don't think I am going to change how my bike is set up because I like how it rides in the current configuration.

I should get a good run this weekend, which will allow me to get in my run numbers.

Happy training,

Brian

2011-04-21 1:14 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

So I'm in my peak phase of my IM plan right now.  And crap am I tired.  This morning was a 4 hour ride.  Averages 16.7 but that was due to a lot of annoying traffic lights.  Was able to hold 19-21 when I was unhampered.  Kind of stinks to see that 21 mph avg drop to 20,19,18 as you wait at a light.

Had a "character building" run on Tuesday.  It was hot and muggy but I still held a decent pace.  My right calf has been bugging me so I'm backing off the run for the next few days.  I do NOT want to injure myself with 2 races in the next 3 weeks.

2011-04-21 8:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Awesome job Brian! Yes my sprint tri I had my fastest min/mile also, but not with the Oly. Oh well!!! I will sacrifice fun over fast anyday!!!

Thanks Roy, Brett, Brian.

Ok so a little sore calf muscle turned into OMG HELP ME sore calf muscle! On tuesday it was like I could barely walk. It was sore to the touch and like any normal person I hit the internet to diagnose my issue. Okay so it said there are 3 grade to calf strains and it looks like I have grade 2= sore to the touch!:0(  So I went and purchased Compression Socks and Iced and elevated and rested oops backwards R.I.C.E. So the next morning I woke up and can you believe not even a hint of pain :0) Thank G-d because I was stressing with all the races I have lined up! Whew! I have a 5k this weekend and I just got roped in to Run the relay for St. Anthony's Oly Tri. I think maybe the guy who stretched and massage me after the race just did alittle too much, who knows.  Anyway enough of my DRAMA, my training has been slack this week Pilates, swim, a run/swim tomorrow, it is called recovery week for this reason right? Oh and how do relays in tri's work I wait until my biker gets back and then run or what? Thanks Courtney

Oh Sean hopefully your calf will heal as fast as mine! Sending you good recovery vibes!

2011-04-23 5:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Buenos Dias,  good to see everyones happy faces. All is well with me, St. Anthony's next week so the taper has begun, just a swim and actually a pretty sizeable run today, then its pretty easy stuff for next week. Courtney, yes you will be in transition waiting for the biker to rack the bike then make the exchange of the timing chip then you are on your way. I'm not sure but I think that all relay members are required to check in on Saturday at the same time. I'm sure you will get your instructions for the race at that time. Good Luck. Relays are the last wave, I'm actually in an early one 7:23 I believe.

I haven't gone to the compression socks, been tempted just havn't done it. When I get those calf muscle imflamations I ues a wooden rolling pin along with a foam roller. The rolling pin really allows me to get to the spot. Sean if your having issues, be prepared as your mileage is now going to really increase.

Brian, the clip ons will be a great help. You mentioned your gripping back like shorties thats because road bike geomtry is different and your feeling more stretched out. Most likely to really get in a good position you'll have to make a couple of changes to your current set up. The seat will need to go forward some and up. You may need to check into getting a fast forward seat post to assist in this for a road bike. As you move the saddle forward your closing your hip angle which will get restrictive, so by raising the saddle a cm or two this will open the hip angle back up. You'll need to experiment to get it right.

Have a great day everyone!!!!!!
2011-04-23 12:17 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
St. Ants should be great this year.  After doing it for 3 years in a row I had to miss last year (knee surgery) so I'm super excited about this year. It's sure not going to be wetsuit legal...
2011-04-27 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3462276

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
TriRSquared - 2011-04-23 1:17 PM St. Ants should be great this year.  After doing it for 3 years in a row I had to miss last year (knee surgery) so I'm super excited about this year. It's sure not going to be wetsuit legal...

I'm excited as well. I don't think our scare tactics are working on the Fl. page to keep our competitors away. Oh well we triedWink.

Sean hopefully we can meet in the Landshark tent that will be up. Ever wonder what the retail value of all those bikes that will be in transition is worth??????

Courtney wait till you see all of those bikes in one place. And I see that the relays have an early wave this year.

I only have a couple of easy workouts left, I feel good but taper week can make you feel a little strange and antsy to do more.
2011-04-27 7:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Hey,

Roy I am not sure as to what time our wave is but I will find out on Saturday. Our Relay team is called "The Screaming Eagles" don't laugh I didn't pick it! Maybe I will Fly like an Eagle on the Run! Haahaa! We plan on meeting at 4pm on Saturday for packet pick-up, but I might go a tad early to check out the Expo. Do they usually have deals on everything or do they hike the prices up for people that forgot stuff? Well hopefully I will see you guys out there if not Saturday then maybe Sunday. You will probably be finishing the Run when I am starting! Good Luck to you and Sean and may there be PR's in your future!!!!!! :0)

2011-04-27 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3468281

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

tri/tbay - 2011-04-27 7:30 AM
TriRSquared - 2011-04-23 1:17 PM St. Ants should be great this year.  After doing it for 3 years in a row I had to miss last year (knee surgery) so I'm super excited about this year. It's sure not going to be wetsuit legal...

I'm excited as well. I don't think our scare tactics are working on the Fl. page to keep our competitors away. Oh well we triedWink.

Sean hopefully we can meet in the Landshark tent that will be up. Ever wonder what the retail value of all those bikes that will be in transition is worth??????

Courtney wait till you see all of those bikes in one place. And I see that the relays have an early wave this year.

I only have a couple of easy workouts left, I feel good but taper week can make you feel a little strange and antsy to do more.

I will def stop by the Landshark tent.  I'm sure my Dad will too (he's racing as is my wife).

We guessed a few years back, 3800ish participants * 2750/bike (conservative) = $10.2 million  Honestly add in the helmets and shoes and such as it's probably closer to $15 million.

I got stuck towards the back this year about a hour behind the pros.  I used to go off 1-2 waves behind them.

Good luck to both of you if I do not catch you before the race.

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-04-27 3:45 PM

2011-04-28 6:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Yea thats probably a good number. My daughter sent me a picture from the Vinoy Park last night. Tents are up and transition is fenced off waiting for us all.

Courtney there will be some deals to be had, so bring the plastic. One item I would think will be in hot demand and not on sale will be the speed/skin suits since I can't imagine it will be wetsuit legal. The vendors will sell a bunch of those, probably run out. There will be some pros around sigining autographs, my youngest daugters first year we got an autograph from Craig Alexander nice guy or mate. So keep you eyes open.

I'm in the 7:18 wave I think. Be at a swim meet with the team on Saturday morning in Largo, then we'll head down to get checked in and see what I think I need to buyTongue out.

2011-04-28 7:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Okay where do we start at putting on a Tri!!! Haahaa!!!! $15 Million!!!!Surprised

Well the Relay teams wave is 7:36 I am hoping I get to see you guys, and if I do see you guys on the course I will yell at you to GET MOVING!!!!!! I have been hearing RUMORS (last night at the Mad Dogs swim) that the weather might be a problem for the swim on Sunday they were predicting the wind out of the east at 20, but really it is 3 days away and how accurate are 24 hr forecasts let alone 72 hours! Anyway, I am sure I will find SOMETHING to buy at Expo! Good Luck to you both and see you at the FINISH!!!!!! Courtney

2011-04-28 2:06 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
I think this front will be gone by then.  My "forecast" is nice and smooth... and damn hot!
2011-04-30 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3471824

User image

Good luck this weekend Sean, Roy and Courtney.

Brian

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17