BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2011-01-25 6:56 AM
in reply to: #3319749

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers)
jcoble1209 - 2011-01-25 7:07 AM Hey guys! Well I so wanted to report this last week but I finally got in the pool friday....and it is kind of like riding a bike....just a little slower after a year out of the pool....but I was so exvited....after that I went to run for about 15 min just to get the feel of moving from one sport to another and it def felt weird.....felt like I had sea legs....

Yay Jennifer!  Yep, those first 5-10 minutes in the next sport are def weird.  I often try to follow up a bike workout with a short run just to get my legs used to that transition.  Good for you to mix it up a bit!

2011-01-25 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3260273

User image

Expert
Empty Nest... hmmm... how can I express this.  Rationally, it's a good thing... less bathroom / car sharing, more time for new directions, less attitude in the house, don't have to worry when she's out late at night, etc.  Emotionally, however, I had a pit in my stomach all day yesterday after dropping her off.  It's definitely a new stage of life.
2011-01-25 3:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Today has been a busy day, exercise-wise, but all in fairly small chunks.  I cycled to work (yay!), and then immediately had to do another bleep test.  This one didn't count for me, but one of the girls in our group missed a previous fitness test due to an injury and had to make it up.  I was "volunteered" by the sergeant to do it with her (the reasons were complicated, but needless to say noone else was exactly jumping at the chance).  Strangely my legs actually felt really good for the sprints after being warmed up nicely on the bike...

I did lunch time circuits which, with hindsight, may have been a little too much, given that this is my rest week.  The problem is that I've been really missing the opportunity to do that type of training.  It's something that I'd pay to take part in, but is quite hard to find, and this is free so I don't like to miss the chance when it's there.  I'm back on my normal shift from next week, so no more circuit training for me :-(

I then cycled home from work and decided that was enough exercise for one day.  I had been contemplating a short swim, but I definitely needed the evening off.

I was considering cycling again tomorrow, but I want to go to the tri club track session tomorrow night, so I'm putting it off till Thursday.  Also tomorrow at work is what the trainers call "fight club" where we have some personal safety roleplays, so who knows what condition I'm going to be in afterwards.  We have to wear PT kit, but with body armour and we're apparently allowed to use "anything" we have on our belts, which includes batons, CS (inert version), handcuffs and limb restraints - should be an interesting day!

anne - so sorry to hear about your traumatic trip to the dermatologist.  Let us know how it goes. x
2011-01-25 3:13 PM

User image

Mill Creek, Washington
Managed to run 5 miles this morning with my daughter in the jogging stroller.  I sure can't run for speed with the stroller.  Getting up those big hills while pushing that beast really takes it out of me, but I'm glad to know I can handle it.  Hopefully, pushing weight while running will really help when I'm running alone.

There's a lot of neighborhood trails along the road I run on.  I've got to move the child seat from my street bike to our old mountain bike so my daughter & I can go exploring.  That'll add some excitement to the ride.

I've also been watching the Youtube videos on the Immersion Swimming method.  Anyone have any experience with this?  I'd love to learn how to swim further than 50 meters without needing a 2 minute breather.
2011-01-25 3:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Anne- I hope that all is OK with your leg.  Sorry that you are worried and having trouble concentrating.  Best wishes for good results.

Rachel-That's a ton of activity.  I'm amazed at all that you do. 

Ron-Running with a stroller has to build something.  I imagine that running without it would feel like you are so light and flying.
2011-01-25 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Well, I'm still chugging along.  I feel a bit like I'm being held in a holding pattern by the weather.  Running is fine since I have a treadmill at home.  Swimming gets cut with bad weather since the pool is near work and when the weather is rough I work from home.  Exercise class has been spared by chance from bad roads.  We'll see what Thurs brings.

Today is my birthday.  Nothing big planned, in fact I thought I might have to do a few hours of work tonight, but it looks like it can wait.  I'll get a run in and have a quiet evening at home.

Andrea

Edited by rustymom 2011-01-25 3:38 PM

2011-01-25 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3321185

User image

Expert
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDREA!!!
2011-01-25 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
On the topic of good Tri-related reads, has anyone read "Iron Heart" the Brian Boyle story? Not only does his recovery impress and inspire me, but his book is positive and he doesn't have a negative thing to say about anyone.
2011-01-25 6:17 PM

User image

Expert
Jayne Williams wrote "Slow Fat Triathlete" and she's now a motivational speaker. Here's a clip of one of her speeches.

I like her opening message, about letting the voice of your dream be the loudest voice in your head.

http://premierespeakers.com/jayne_williams/video/10901

Edited by slow turtle 2011-01-25 6:19 PM
2011-01-25 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Happy Birthday Andrea!

Another day off. My stitches on my leg are ripping an incision next to the incision and I'm miserable. But life goes on.

The kids are having fun helping me clean the stitches and change band aids.

I'm not too worried anymore- it is what it is, and it's fixable.

Just want to be able to do my workouts again.
2011-01-25 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3321185

User image

rustymom - 2011-01-25 3:37 PM Well, I'm still chugging along.  I feel a bit like I'm being held in a holding pattern by the weather.  Running is fine since I have a treadmill at home.  Swimming gets cut with bad weather since the pool is near work and when the weather is rough I work from home.  Exercise class has been spared by chance from bad roads.  We'll see what Thurs brings.

Today is my birthday.  Nothing big planned, in fact I thought I might have to do a few hours of work tonight, but it looks like it can wait.  I'll get a run in and have a quiet evening at home.

Andrea

Yes! Happy Birthday! On to another year! Yes, the winter weather can be a total drag, but hang in there and Spring will be here soon.  Sometimes when I'm at home working and need a break I turn on the FitTV channel and do some yoga. It's quick and gets my body back in gear.
Joanne

2011-01-25 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Tried to run today. No go. Ankle still to tender so I got on the eliptical for an hour. I think those are worse than Dreadmills. Going to jump on the bike trainer tonight and run tomorrow is going to be a game time decision as they say in sports. This is pretty frustrating. I have come to the conclusion that I'm not going to have empty nest issues. The faster I get all teenagers out of the house along with their boots the better. ; )

Phil
2011-01-25 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3321462

User image

AKR18 - 2011-01-25 6:50 PM Happy Birthday Andrea! Another day off. My stitches on my leg are ripping an incision next to the incision and I'm miserable. But life goes on. The kids are having fun helping me clean the stitches and change band aids. I'm not too worried anymore- it is what it is, and it's fixable. Just want to be able to do my workouts again.

I'm sorry you have to be sidelined when you so want to be exercizing. It's really great though that you are taking care of this now and then you can move on to fun things.  You have such a terrific attitude and one I will think about when I'm complaining about my issues.
Have a good night everyone,
Joanne
2011-01-25 10:01 PM

User image

Hey guys,

Andrea want to wish you a very Happy Birthday! 

Also wishing a speedy recovery to you Anne and Phil, take it easy. 

Heidi, thanks for the clip she was pretty funny.

Have a good day tomorrow!
-Yvette
2011-01-25 10:56 PM
in reply to: #3321744

User image

Expert
Happy Birthday, Andrea (I think I made it with 10 minutes to spare!).

Heidi, enjoyed the clip... lots of good stuff in there.  Especially liked, "my body could do more than I realized" (or something close to that - should have written it down) and having to do it when no one was looking.  She was big on the long-term view, overcoming obstacles, and setting your own goals - well heck, it is your dream, not anyone else's.  She was also pretty darn methodical about it :-)

Stu
2011-01-26 8:06 AM

User image

Good morning,
6 weeks and counting until my first tri (3/12)! I have a question about transitions and gear. The swim is in a pool so the temp is normal, and outside it is normally nice, in the 70s, by mid March. It's also extremely windy in the spring here. Although I'm on the coast of NC, which means flat, they managed to create a bike course that captures the few hills we have around our university campus. So, I was thinking of wearing a jog bra under my bathing suit and then slipping on bike shorts at the transition. Or, should I just swim the 16 lengths with my bike shorts and bra and forget about the bathing suit? What are the pros and cons? Which will possibly have the least chafing and yet give me support to last through three events? The pool is odd also. To enter the indoor pool you go through an academic building, through the locker rooms, up two sets of stairs and around the corner and voila you are at the pool. So, to get to the transition area you have to leave the pool via this route (slippery stairs!) and then around the building, past another building, 4 sets of tennis courts and finally you can find your bike. Do you think it will be possible to leave a pair of tevas at the edge of the pool so I don't wipe out or step on something nasty on my way to the transition? 
I've been reading a lot about the transitions and how important it is to be prepared, so mentally I need to figure this out before I'm panting and freaking out!
Today the weather is clearing so I'm planning an outside 5 mi run and then a 1 hour TRX class. Can't wait to get my teaching done today so I can get outside!
For those of you who are recovering, please take it easy and think of altneratives to keep yourselves active. When I tore my periformis muscle it was 6 months of physical therapy and weight gain after a wonderful year of weight loss so I know how injuries can suck the life out of you. You all have terrific positive energy and you will be well prepared to go for a run or bike or swim again before you know it.  Stu, thanks for the refs to read. I so wish I had more time!
Have a great day everyone.
Joanne

Edited by beachprof 2011-01-26 8:08 AM

2011-01-26 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
beachprof-

1- change nothing on race day. no new equipment, no new clothes.

so it is important now to think about what you are going to wear and then PRACTICE in it. kudos to you for figuring that part out ahead of time.

My first few tris I wore this:
sports bra
bathing suit
bike shorts

out of swim, into transition, put on bike jersey, socks, running shoes, helmet

out on bike (I had cage pedals)

off bike, take off helmet, put on race number and run hat

If you do not care about time and want to wrangle with it, you can swim in sports bra and bathing suit, get out, towel off a bit, try to wiggle your wet self into bike shorts.
2011-01-26 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3322455

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
AKR18 - 2011-01-26 4:34 PM beachprof- 1- change nothing on race day. no new equipment, no new clothes. so it is important now to think about what you are going to wear and then PRACTICE in it. kudos to you for figuring that part out ahead of time. My first few tris I wore this: sports bra bathing suit bike shorts out of swim, into transition, put on bike jersey, socks, running shoes, helmet out on bike (I had cage pedals) off bike, take off helmet, put on race number and run hat If you do not care about time and want to wrangle with it, you can swim in sports bra and bathing suit, get out, towel off a bit, try to wiggle your wet self into bike shorts.

I'd agree with this except that last year I did the option of wiggling into the shorts after the swim.  It's really your choice, but I think I would have found the shorts very restrictive for swimming in.  This year I've bought myself a tri suit, which is basically a swim suit with built in sports bra and cycle shorts (but with less padding than "proper" cycle shorts).  It's actually very comfortable, and saves all that what to wear stuff, but isn't very flattering(!) and of course is another thing to buy...
2011-01-26 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3322090

User image

Expert
beachprof - 2011-01-26 9:06 AM Good morning,
 The pool is odd also. To enter the indoor pool you go through an academic building, through the locker rooms, up two sets of stairs and around the corner and voila you are at the pool. So, to get to the transition area you have to leave the pool via this route (slippery stairs!) and then around the building, past another building, 4 sets of tennis courts and finally you can find your bike. Do you think it will be possible to leave a pair of tevas at the edge of the pool so I don't wipe out or step on something nasty on my way to the transition? 
I've been reading a lot about the transitions and how important it is to be prepared, so mentally I need to figure this out before I'm panting and freaking out!

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

I'd email the race director about the Tevas.  Hopefully they will put running mats from the pool to the bike transition area, but you're right not to count on that. 

I'll leave the sports bra advice to those with more experience :-)))  But X2 on Anne's comment about wearing nothing new on race day (or using any new equipment).  I'll also add that I believe it is important to practice transitions - the set-up, where to put things, order, etc. - so again, that nothing is new on race day and you feel confident about it.  In addition, it is important to practice the transitions at least once when you're tired and trying to rush... that's quite different than when you're relaxed in your living room :-)

Finally, I'm a big believer in a "what to bring list".  Again, just keeps things nice and relaxed and focused on race day.  Here's my list from one of last year's races. 

[    ] Drivers License, credit card, cash

[    ] USAT membership card

[    ] Garmin

[    ] Tri Shorts / Wetsuit (if legal)

[    ] Goggles

[    ] Glide

[    ] Towel

[    ] Advil / Pain Meds

[    ] Bike with tires at correct pressure and lube chain

[    ] Bike shoes

[    ] Helmet

[    ] 2 water bottles for bike / transition (1 gatorade, 1 water)

[    ] Race appropriate food/nuitrition (for longer distance)

[    ] Sunglasses

[    ] Spare tube and pump/CO2

[    ] Running shoes

[    ] Cap or Visor

[    ] Race belt (pins as backup)

[    ] Sunscreen

[    ] Jacket - weather could change unexpectedly

[    ] Energy bar(s)

[    ] Sandals

[    ] Clothing to change into after you finish your race

This year, I also plan to make a list/description for how to set up transition area.  Even with practicing, I've forgotten at least one simple thing along the way (like leaving running shoes untied).

Hope this helps!

Stu

2011-01-26 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran

So exciting, planning for your tri!  I'll be watching for when I do some outdoor tris this summer and fall.  My next is another indoor one with some slightly longer time segments for swim and run.

My run last night got interrupted when my Mom called to say that she was heading up our road to deliver birthday cake.  I ran a few more minutes and then shut it down, expecting her to arrive momentarily.  After about 15 mins, I called her and found that she and my step-father had wimped out on my slippery hill and had driven home to change vehicles.  So frustrating, I could have finished before they got back.  Guess I'll run again tonight... 

2011-01-26 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3322090

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
I agree with everyone and one other suggestion: once you have done a dry run do some visualization.  Imagine your transition step by step and how you want it to turn out.  If you are not going for any land speed records swim in the suit and add the shorts at transition.  Try swimming with it and try running without it to see what works for you.  Good luck!

2011-01-26 4:02 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Looks like everyone is staying the course on training.  For me?  Got in some strength training, swim and run in this week...wanted to run a little more or a little faster but this darn broken foot was hurtin in the last 15 mins or so.  I have class tonight so today is my day off from training.  Question, on my goals, on the side bar of my training log I have a strength training goal but it is not reading my workouts.  Still shows I have not done any srt. training?/??? Any suggestions?
2011-01-26 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
I like the suggestion of visualising transitions.  I've used that before for other stuff, but hadn't actually thought of it for this.  It's amazing how much it helps, plus you can do it at times when doing a workout would be inconvenient ;-)

How's everyone's week going?  I went to the tri club track session tonight.  It was a good workout - combination of short fast runs and longer comfortable pace.  I feel like my running is improving, although it's still a long way from where I want to be.

I've decided not to cycle to work tomorrow, which I'm quite disappointed about, but I'm feeling quite fatigued and given that this is my rest week I really need to be making an effort to have proper days off and actually recover.  I won't be able to cycle on Friday as it's the last day at training school and I have to bring my giant kit bag home with me, so I'm going to miss that particular goal again, but I think it's the right thing to do for my body.  I've been told by too many people over the last week or so about the dangers of overtraining to just ignore it :-(

Anne and Phil, I hope you're recovering from your injuries.  Hang in there and you'll get back into it.

Belated Happy Birthday Andrea.  Hope it was a good one.

Rach
x
2011-01-26 4:28 PM

User image

Mill Creek, Washington
Wow Stu!  The inspire you sent me today was the most motivational thing I've ever seen.

Everyone should check out the video at teamhoyt.com.

What this guy is doing with his son is just amazing.
2011-01-26 5:13 PM

User image

Expert
Clothing and transitions:
I wear one outfit for the whole race, it's much easier that way. For me it's tri shorts, a sports bra, and a tank top. I refuse to be seen in just a sports bra, because...well, I'm too modest.
Tri shorts are made to dry extremely fast, and they do. I worry that a bathing suit would be uncomfortable over a bra, and under shorts.

Okay, this group has been really busy, and I'm psyched about that! But, I'm really sick with some bug that my husband gave me. So, I'll catch every one tomorrow. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP Group is FULL (of motivated life jugglers) Rss Feed  

of 26