BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis' "WE CAN DO IT!" Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-05-13 4:28 AM
in reply to: #3271134

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA
Subject: RE: Artemis' "WE CAN DO IT!" Mentor Group - FULL

So... my Triathlon is in two days. I'm going to work today then coming home to pack (I'd better not forget anything!) and leave for TN. We're leaving a day early because tomorrow morning is a practice swim in the open water and it had better be worth it because it's costing me a pretty penny to board the dogs and pay for the extra night of hotel!!!

I'm so nervous now! Just have to be cautious with my food and water intake. No more exercise. Not much left I can do to prepare... I'm ready or not now.

Any final words from anybody? Smile

2011-05-13 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3496777

User image

Regular
Desert of Mexico
goofee girl - 2011-05-13 4:28 AM

So... my Triathlon is in two days.

You can do it!  I am so excited for you and can't wait to hear how it goes. 

2011-05-13 8:09 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan
goofee girl - 2011-05-13 5:28 AM

So... my Triathlon is in two days. I'm going to work today then coming home to pack (I'd better not forget anything!) and leave for TN. We're leaving a day early because tomorrow morning is a practice swim in the open water and it had better be worth it because it's costing me a pretty penny to board the dogs and pay for the extra night of hotel!!!

I'm so nervous now! Just have to be cautious with my food and water intake. No more exercise. Not much left I can do to prepare... I'm ready or not now.

Kick some butt and enjoy every moment - i remember the chicago tri last fall - all I could think of is - Holly crap - I'm doing it!  Good luck and have fun!

2011-05-13 10:17 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
goofee girl - 2011-05-13 5:28 AM

Relax, breath, have fun, and kick butt!

You can do it!!!!

2011-05-13 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
La Crosse
goofee girl - 2011-05-13 4:28 AM

Relax........Have Fun........Enjoy........

2011-05-14 6:14 AM

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA

Open water practice swim in 2 hours! I'm really looking forward to hitting the river and seeing how hard/easy it will be before the Tri tomorrow.

Funny thing... for all of you training for your first Triathlon... if it's an out of town one, be meticulous with your Triathlon items and look over your checklist twice. However, don't forget to pack your regular daily clothes and items. I got here only to realize that I have no pajamas, the only clothes I have to wear are the ones for the kick off dinner and after party. No shorts, no shirts, no socks, no underwear, no deoderant, no nothing! Yell So I slept in my clothes that I wore yesterday at work and will be washing them in the sink in order to wear them on the ride back home on Monday. Thank goodness I had the sense to bring my toothbrush and medication!

So don't go to work the day you leave and then pack the hour before you head out. Thinking back, I should have packed my Tri stuff earlier in the week and my regular stuff yesterday. I guess I had to learn the hard way. Heh.

2011-05-14 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3498542

User image

Regular
Desert of Mexico
goofee girl - 2011-05-14 6:14 AM

Open water practice swim in 2 hours! I'm really looking forward to hitting the river and seeing how hard/easy it will be before the Tri tomorrow.

So don't go to work the day you leave and then pack the hour before you head out. Thinking back, I should have packed my Tri stuff earlier in the week and my regular stuff yesterday. I guess I had to learn the hard way. Heh.

Hope your open water swim practice went well!  And thanks for the advice!

Edited by spaceyg02 2011-05-14 9:15 AM
2011-05-14 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3498542

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
goofee girl - 2011-05-14 7:14 AM

Funny thing... for all of you training for your first Triathlon... if it's an out of town one, be meticulous with your Triathlon items and look over your checklist twice. However, don't forget to pack your regular daily clothes and items. I got here only to realize that I have no pajamas, the only clothes I have to wear are the ones for the kick off dinner and after party. No shorts, no shirts, no socks, no underwear, no deoderant, no nothing! Yell So I slept in my clothes that I wore yesterday at work and will be washing them in the sink in order to wear them on the ride back home on Monday. Thank goodness I had the sense to bring my toothbrush and medication!

Oh no!!!  You remembered the important things, though, like your helmet and your shoes and stuff, though.  Signs you are a triathlete. 

Hope the open water swim practice went well today!

2011-05-14 3:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.

Good Luck GG.

2011-05-15 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
La Crosse

Goofee

We are all waiting to hear how it went.............inquiring minds want to know.........

2011-05-16 6:00 AM

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA

I AM A TRIATHLETE!!!

Short version (race log to come later): swim started off badly because my asthma kicked in. Had to stop twice to use my inhaler. One other girl was in the back with me. Once my asthma was controlled I got into a continuous swim. That felt good! I swam the major portion of the swim continuously.

On the bike I was surprised at how sore my quads were. It was hard going up that first hill. The girl who was behind with me had to walk it up. So I'm riding and all is good. Just some hills and downhills. But I forgot that we were in the Smoky Mountains. There were three long, steep, winding roads that I had to get off my bike and walk up. I don't know how anybody made it up them. My quads continued to burn despite good nutrition. I made it off the bike and into the run.

Well, not much of a run. My feet were burning at this point, at least the soles were. And my lower back was in excruciating pain! Now, I weigh 270 lbs, so my weight was probably doing this. So I walked. All of a sudden a young man joins me. Hes from multisport ministries. We stop and pray for a minute, then we walk together. Turns out that they made an agreement that he would be the last to cross the finish line so that nobody had to be last! We walk the 6.2 miles together and it made the walk enjoyable.

One last uphill and I see and hear my Teammates cheering for me at the finish line as I started to jog. It felt great. I sprinted that last 100 feet and make it over the line and then had to keep running to get to the place where they take your picture. There were 3 cameramen, so I hope that at least one of those shots makes me look halfway decent.

And I finished!!! I had doubts through each leg because of the difficulties I encountered, but I pushed through and ddn't want to give up because it meant so much to my honored hero and donors to complete the race.

Oh, and for you ladies... my period came two weeks ago and I thought, "phew, won't have to worry about that during the race!" and guess what? My period came two weeks early the night before the race!!!! Probably due to stress. So I was extra bloated during my race and look extra fat in my pictures. However, scrambling at 5 a.m. on a Sunday for protection wasn't fun. So be prepared for this issue as you pack for your Tri. It may come up for you as well!!!

That's the end of my story. I was pretty sore last night to the point where I had difficulty walking, took some Ibuprofen, got up about 5-6 times in the middle of the night to pee out all that liquid I drank during the race, and this morning nothing hurts!!! I have a training session with a personal trainer tonight and feel like I can do it!

So best of luck to you all as you train. I'm already training for my next Tri in August and for a metric century in July. Life really is good.

2011-05-16 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3500925

User image

Regular
Desert of Mexico
goofee girl - 2011-05-16 6:00 AM

I AM A TRIATHLETE!!!

Yay!  You did it!  Congratulations!!! To hear your stories encourages me for my first tri in July.  Thanks!

2011-05-16 2:06 PM

YAY! CONGRATULATIONS!

That sounds like the perfect tri to me! Just think, it only gets better from here on out, im so proud of you, keep up the good work, you're a great inspiration for us all!

smiles,

yolanda

2011-05-16 5:19 PM

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA

Talk about a downer. Go to the Clydesdale and Athena board and read my post about being an official Athena triathlete. Some guy goes in there and tells me that I basically disqualified myself by going over the time limits and just had a long workout day. Wait, let's see if the link works here.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=252428&posts=11&start=1

So much for my excitement.

2011-05-16 5:40 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
goofee girl - 2011-05-16 7:00 AM

I AM A TRIATHLETE!!!

Short version (race log to come later): swim started off badly because my asthma kicked in. Had to stop twice to use my inhaler. One other girl was in the back with me. Once my asthma was controlled I got into a continuous swim. That felt good! I swam the major portion of the swim continuously.

On the bike I was surprised at how sore my quads were. It was hard going up that first hill. The girl who was behind with me had to walk it up. So I'm riding and all is good. Just some hills and downhills. But I forgot that we were in the Smoky Mountains. There were three long, steep, winding roads that I had to get off my bike and walk up. I don't know how anybody made it up them. My quads continued to burn despite good nutrition. I made it off the bike and into the run.

Well, not much of a run. My feet were burning at this point, at least the soles were. And my lower back was in excruciating pain! Now, I weigh 270 lbs, so my weight was probably doing this. So I walked. All of a sudden a young man joins me. Hes from multisport ministries. We stop and pray for a minute, then we walk together. Turns out that they made an agreement that he would be the last to cross the finish line so that nobody had to be last! We walk the 6.2 miles together and it made the walk enjoyable.

One last uphill and I see and hear my Teammates cheering for me at the finish line as I started to jog. It felt great. I sprinted that last 100 feet and make it over the line and then had to keep running to get to the place where they take your picture. There were 3 cameramen, so I hope that at least one of those shots makes me look halfway decent.

And I finished!!! I had doubts through each leg because of the difficulties I encountered, but I pushed through and ddn't want to give up because it meant so much to my honored hero and donors to complete the race.

Oh, and for you ladies... my period came two weeks ago and I thought, "phew, won't have to worry about that during the race!" and guess what? My period came two weeks early the night before the race!!!! Probably due to stress. So I was extra bloated during my race and look extra fat in my pictures. However, scrambling at 5 a.m. on a Sunday for protection wasn't fun. So be prepared for this issue as you pack for your Tri. It may come up for you as well!!!

That's the end of my story. I was pretty sore last night to the point where I had difficulty walking, took some Ibuprofen, got up about 5-6 times in the middle of the night to pee out all that liquid I drank during the race, and this morning nothing hurts!!! I have a training session with a personal trainer tonight and feel like I can do it!

So best of luck to you all as you train. I'm already training for my next Tri in August and for a metric century in July. Life really is good.

Congratulations!!  It's normal for you to be pretty sore after the first race.  You should feel better in a day or two. 

2011-05-16 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3502535

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
goofee girl - 2011-05-16 6:19 PM

Talk about a downer. Go to the Clydesdale and Athena board and read my post about being an official Athena triathlete. Some guy goes in there and tells me that I basically disqualified myself by going over the time limits and just had a long workout day. Wait, let's see if the link works here.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=252428&posts=11&start=1

Ignore it.  If they didn't pull you off the course and you have a time, both of which happened, you have finished and are a triathlete.  If Rev3 had a cutoff time they didn't enforce, that's their problem, not yours.  Don't let anyone take away from what you accomplished.

2011-05-16 7:11 PM

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA

Just worked out with the personal trainer. Mostly worked on my quads. Boy, am I weak!

2011-05-16 7:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.

Way to go GG!

We are all very proud of you.

I'm not even going to comment on the other thread. I'm afraid I'll say things that would get me thrown off the site.

2011-05-16 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3502535

User image

Regular
Desert of Mexico
goofee girl - 2011-05-16 5:19 PM

How terrible of someone to try to make less of what you accomplished.  I, and I think many, many others, are very proud of you.  Aren't most of us here just trying to put one foot in front of the other and do our best?!  It sounds as though you did your best and to that I am so proud of you!  Congratulations again!  You go girl!

2011-05-16 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
La Crosse

Good Job Goofee Girl...........

2011-05-16 7:53 PM

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA
Thanks, everyone! It was a goal of mine to finish and I'm not the only one who didn't finish within the time limits. Clearly, Rev3 was not enforcing their cut offs. I'm just so proud to have not given up even though the thought has crossed my mind. Pushing myself was part of the challenge.

2011-05-17 4:45 AM

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA

Artemis... thanks for standing up for me in that thread. That guy's being a jerk for no reason and I'm really upset about it. I just completed a challenge I set for myself after 6 months of training and he's completely devaluing it. It's got me in tears and I'm sure he's thrilled.

I'm still going to go work out tonight. It's bike day for me tonight.

2011-05-17 7:38 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan
goofee girl - 2011-05-16 7:00 AM

I AM A TRIATHLETE!!!

You are a rockstar and don't forget!  Way togo, I also swim a inhaler in my pocket, and I always have to pull over in those 1st few mins to take that "security puff".  Keep up w/ your training and do not let what that guy said bother you.  In my book your a triathlete, congrats
2011-05-17 7:40 AM
in reply to: #3503179

Goofee girl,

That guy is not worth your tears. Any person that can come on here and bash someone who is clearly working hard and ACHIEVING her goals, is just rude and inconsiderate. And we have no time for that!!

Please don't waste any more tears on him and his uncalled for words, you achieved your goal and that is all that matters. There will ALWAYS be someone somewhere that is not going to be happy for us and will take any chance to try and knock us down, but don't give them that power over you. You have proven to yourself that you can do this and like I said before, you will only get better.

You're a great girl and Im happy to have 'cyber' met you!

Keep training!!

Yolanda

2011-05-17 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3503358

User image

Regular
Bartow County, GA
yolandamcp - 2011-05-17 7:40 AM

Goofee girl,

That guy is not worth your tears. Any person that can come on here and bash someone who is clearly working hard and ACHIEVING her goals, is just rude and inconsiderate. And we have no time for that!!

Please don't waste any more tears on him and his uncalled for words, you achieved your goal and that is all that matters. There will ALWAYS be someone somewhere that is not going to be happy for us and will take any chance to try and knock us down, but don't give them that power over you. You have proven to yourself that you can do this and like I said before, you will only get better.

You're a great girl and Im happy to have 'cyber' met you!

Keep training!!

Yolanda

Thank you for the vote of confidence. You got me all teary-eyed and smiling at the same time. And wouldn't you know... the thread was removed by a moderator after I got my final word in. I was going to report it to a moderator, but didn't get the chance to this morning because I had to get to work. Looks like someone else did it for me. I certainly hope that member got a warning for unsportsmanlike behavior. I'm going to avoid him like the plague from now on.

I'm glad to have met you, too. Laughing That goes for everyone in this thread! I'm so glad I joined the group! We should all do a triathlon together one day. Wouldn't that be fun?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Artemis' "WE CAN DO IT!" Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22