of 14

2011-06-22 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3561018

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: RE: Mesteren's Group - CLOSED
joel.blair - 2011-06-21 11:34 PM

Anyways, here is my question; the attendant that helped spoke of the venue in which my first triathlon will be held. He said that I should be careful and taste the water they are serving before I begin. He said that the water often has a high sulfur content and it upset his stomach. Can I strap on a camelbak for the bike and/or the run of a triathlon? does anyone else? if so, is it a bad idea?

thanks in advance

Joel

You are allowed to wear a camelbak, or pretty much anything else that will whole water, but everything you take out of T1 you have to bring into T2. Exception is when there is places to dump empty bottle and other wast. Just remember you are not allowed to have any kind of glass containers.

Dont you have a bottle holder on your bike ? How long is the race ? If it is a sprint 1 bottle will be enough, Olympic could also be ok but depends on how warm it is and how much you drink.
If you are not sure about the water on the run, you can bring a fuel belt, that way you can bring whatever you want and are not depending on what is served.

But if you feel comfortable biking/run with a camelbak, then there is nothing stopping you

2011-06-23 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3561650

So this is my first race weekend yay coming up. I'm so excited. And darn well hope that my last two weeks of training dont count like someone mentioned earlier because well, there not something im proud off. I really gotta get this time management thing down now training with baby and hubby back to work plus running his own business, so he has long hours welcome to world of construction.

Niezels is also running a race this weekend so go dutchies go.

Hoping anyone has any last minute suggestions. Thanx

2011-06-24 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3564129

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
nickih - 2011-06-23 6:33 PM

So this is my first race weekend yay coming up. I'm so excited. And darn well hope that my last two weeks of training dont count like someone mentioned earlier because well, there not something im proud off. I really gotta get this time management thing down now training with baby and hubby back to work plus running his own business, so he has long hours welcome to world of construction.

Niezels is also running a race this weekend so go dutchies go.

Hoping anyone has any last minute suggestions. Thanx

You are going to do awesome
and the run will be so easy since you dont have to push a stroller

Make sure the tires are fully pumped, the breaks dont touch the wheel, if you have clip-on aero-bars make sure they are fastened probably.

Go over transitions in your head, make sure you know what to do before you are actually standing there.
Small tip : Always put on your sunglasses before you put on the helmet, that way you are sure that the glasses are underneath the straps. If they are on the outside they will go flying once you take of the helmet.

Else have fun, pace yourself and smile

Good luck to you and niezels Which I think are the only ones that will be racing this weekend.
Have a great weekend everybody .)

2011-06-24 10:40 PM
in reply to: #3278649

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon

Great to get caught up on what everyone is doing, it's inspiring to read of your races and training.  I have been out of training mode with a kitchen remodel and am antsy to get back at it.  The trails are finally drying out here and I need to hit them.

Holly: thanks for sharing the OWS info, I'm going to go practice that soon and won't put it off now.  Also jealous to hear you got to watch Chrissie Wellington.  

Nicki:  Good luck this weekend. Looking forward to hearing how it went.  I think the first one may be the easiest because it's all new and you're learning.  So have fun and soak it in.  

Christi

2011-06-26 6:09 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
What is it like to train for an Ironman ?

http://youtu.be/B03dFMG8nR4

This clip pretty much sums it up

2011-06-26 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3567510

So I finished my first sprint race ever. Come check out my report if you'd like. I took me just under 2 hours  1:57. I learned lots on what not to do. but had a great time no matter what.

1. Swim like Holly said plenty of OWS before your race, I didnt and it showed. I pretty much froze and ended up breast stroking most of the way.

2. Show up on time, way on time, I ended up scrambling even before the race. That cant have been good.

3. Know your capabilities when riding hills on the bike ie what gear to be in etc. So you dont crash. Lesson learned the hard way.

I had an awesome time. It may have poored rain, I may have freaked swimming in the cold OWS water and crashed my bike but I finished. That was my number one goal. goal number was achieved to finished within two hours. Goal number not yet within 1:30 maybe next time things will go smoother and ill be a better athlete well see.

Yup already thinking about my next sprint

2011-06-27 3:40 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

Congrats Nicki and welcome to the club of triathletes. You rockstar. For the record: Seeing your post after viewing the youtube link of mesteren does give a whole new perspective to your fun while racing in the rain ;o).

2011-06-27 4:35 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

So I had my second race last saturday. Ugh it was a hard one to race. Final time 1h 24m 54s for a 500m, 21K, 5.2K.

The swim was in a small canal that went via the gardens of several houses. an out and back for 500m. The canal turned out to be very small. And starting at the outside did not have the desired affect of finding space to swim. It turned out to be a fight for some space for the first 350m and final 50 (gathering to the steps out of the water). All in all I wasn't able to get a rythm during the swim which did eat up more energy than I hoped for. Though I could not take over a lot at the same time only few could take over me. Result: 0:13:54 (49/118) inc. T1.

Due to rain the Parc Ferme was very slippery. Luckely my "awesome" slide did not get captured on the camera. T1 went a bit slower than hoped for. Though happy I did not stress over the fact that putting on wet shoes (yes the rain) with wet feet would take me more time.

The bike course was 2 laps around the small village over the roads usally used by farmers. That with the rain made the course a bit muddy. This would end up to be the hardest part of the race. Though I did get a nice pace at the start, I lost my rythm on my way back of the first lap (at the 7K point) By that time I felt I was out of energy (poor breakfast). The headwind there didn't help me much. Only while bike in town I was able to get a bit of pace. At the start of the second lap I even did no longer noticed that I had tailwind (never a good sign ;o) ). And during the second lap a lot of people did take me over. Result including T2: 0:42:09 (46/118). Avg speef on the course 30.5K where I was aiming for 32 - 34K.

T2 was a lot better than T1. Basically it was it has to be. Drop of bike, helmet and shoes. Get other shoes and start running. When I left the parc ferme I did get a look on the time board. At that point I knew a normal run would get me around 1h25m which was my goal. So from there I basically went for a more of a "relaxed" run. during the run I was able to chat with a guy that had the sole goal of finishing before his brother. Sharing our opinion on the sport with the agreement that though it is painfull and no fun at all thinking about it while running through the rain fighting cramps you know you want more once you finished. I guess the lady in mesteren youtube film is right ;o). Result 0:28:53 (96/188) for a total of 1:24:56 (70/118)

Main learningpoints. Keep training rythm going, eat better in advance to the match.

2011-06-27 6:47 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

Ow and to celebrate my new bike (expected to arrive in 2 weeks ) ) I've entered the Luik-Bastenaken-Luik tour. It follows the course of the yearly classic race of the same name.

It will cover more than 150 miles via a hilly course including some climbs with 20% max and over 10% average.  It is planned for the end of July. Weeee!!!

2011-06-27 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3568295

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
nickih - 2011-06-26 9:23 PM

So I finished my first sprint race ever. Come check out my report if you'd like. I took me just under 2 hours  1:57. I learned lots on what not to do. but had a great time no matter what.

1. Swim like Holly said plenty of OWS before your race, I didnt and it showed. I pretty much froze and ended up breast stroking most of the way.

2. Show up on time, way on time, I ended up scrambling even before the race. That cant have been good.

3. Know your capabilities when riding hills on the bike ie what gear to be in etc. So you dont crash. Lesson learned the hard way.

I had an awesome time. It may have poored rain, I may have freaked swimming in the cold OWS water and crashed my bike but I finished. That was my number one goal. goal number was achieved to finished within two hours. Goal number not yet within 1:30 maybe next time things will go smoother and ill be a better athlete well see.

You ROCK!!  Way to overcome the weather conditions, the stress of the OWS, and a freakin bike crash and get it done......and under 2 hours.  AWESOME JOB!!!!

2011-06-27 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3568500

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
Niezels - 2011-06-27 4:35 AM

So I had my second race last saturday. Ugh it was a hard one to race. Final time 1h 24m 54s for a 500m, 21K, 5.2K.

The swim was in a small canal that went via the gardens of several houses. an out and back for 500m. The canal turned out to be very small. And starting at the outside did not have the desired affect of finding space to swim. It turned out to be a fight for some space for the first 350m and final 50 (gathering to the steps out of the water). All in all I wasn't able to get a rythm during the swim which did eat up more energy than I hoped for. Though I could not take over a lot at the same time only few could take over me. Result: 0:13:54 (49/118) inc. T1.

Due to rain the Parc Ferme was very slippery. Luckely my "awesome" slide did not get captured on the camera. T1 went a bit slower than hoped for. Though happy I did not stress over the fact that putting on wet shoes (yes the rain) with wet feet would take me more time.

The bike course was 2 laps around the small village over the roads usally used by farmers. That with the rain made the course a bit muddy. This would end up to be the hardest part of the race. Though I did get a nice pace at the start, I lost my rythm on my way back of the first lap (at the 7K point) By that time I felt I was out of energy (poor breakfast). The headwind there didn't help me much. Only while bike in town I was able to get a bit of pace. At the start of the second lap I even did no longer noticed that I had tailwind (never a good sign ;o) ). And during the second lap a lot of people did take me over. Result including T2: 0:42:09 (46/118). Avg speef on the course 30.5K where I was aiming for 32 - 34K.

T2 was a lot better than T1. Basically it was it has to be. Drop of bike, helmet and shoes. Get other shoes and start running. When I left the parc ferme I did get a look on the time board. At that point I knew a normal run would get me around 1h25m which was my goal. So from there I basically went for a more of a "relaxed" run. during the run I was able to chat with a guy that had the sole goal of finishing before his brother. Sharing our opinion on the sport with the agreement that though it is painfull and no fun at all thinking about it while running through the rain fighting cramps you know you want more once you finished. I guess the lady in mesteren youtube film is right ;o). Result 0:28:53 (96/188) for a total of 1:24:56 (70/118)

Main learningpoints. Keep training rythm going, eat better in advance to the match.

Wow, you had it tough out there this past weekend as well.  Awesome job and way to push through....and with a pretty darn good time as well!!

2011-06-27 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3568578

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
Niezels - 2011-06-27 6:47 AM

Ow and to celebrate my new bike (expected to arrive in 2 weeks ) ) I've entered the Luik-Bastenaken-Luik tour. It follows the course of the yearly classic race of the same name.

It will cover more than 150 miles via a hilly course including some climbs with 20% max and over 10% average.  It is planned for the end of July. Weeee!!!

Perfect way to break in a new bike!! Laughing  You must post pics when it comes in.

2011-06-28 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
You both did great But we all knew that you would

Now I have a question; you both had rain doing the race, were you prepared for it ?
Did you change anything from what you normally would have done had it not rained ?

It is always a good idea, as a minimum to bring 1 extra plastic bag for transition as putting on wet socks dose not give you a specially nice feeling !
Often people bring plastic boxes to keep there stuff in, if you do that make sure the organisers allows it !

2011-06-28 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
Nice Work Triathlete Nicki!  You accomplished your goals!  Sounds like quiet a good time, despite a few hardships! 
2011-06-28 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3568500

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
That's a pretty rocking time Niezels.  Way to go.  Sounds like you overcame quiet a few difficulties in order to finish... Way to go!
2011-06-28 8:03 PM

Nope I did not prepare for the rain as I was hoping it would stay dry. It was dry at the beginning of the race. That plastic bag sounds like a smart idea. I dont think boxes would be allwed here as there was almost not enough room for all the bikes on the racks here.

2011-06-29 3:48 PM

User image

Regular
Utrecht
No I didn't prepare for it. Mainly because I thought I would do ok. I bike and run without socks on nor do I dry my feet when I get out of the water. In hindsight I was to happy with wet shoes to begin with. So for next time I will bring something that I can lay over it.
2011-07-03 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3573521

Hey there how is everyone doing. I'm doing good recovering well. So my planned olympic race has reached its cap and well I didnt register. This means no Wasaga Olympic for me this year. Which is probably a good thing since I'm no where near prepared. Instead I figure I will a local local tri. This race is newer and less known about (Sunridge triathlon) but I did my second tri a tri there in 2009 and did well. I can complete a sprint option there too. So now I'm like which one of the two will I do. Do I do the tri a try and see if I can improve from last time or do I go for the full sprint. This Tri apparently has longer run 7.5 k which is long for me. I'm not a good runner. And a slightly longer bike its 23.5 k but its a wide tire event which is kinda neat. Please help me make the decision btw the two so i dont miss out. 
2011-07-03 10:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon
nickih - 2011-06-26 7:23 PM

Great job Nicki!  Thanks for sharing your experiences too.  I finished my race in about the same time and I didn't crash my bike.  Wish I had thought to breaststroke, I just stopped a lot.  Sealed

Hopefully you have a smoother race next time.

It rained on me during my first tri.  I brought plastic bags to cover my stuff, but didn't use them.  The race started dry and was suppose to remain that way. I stacked my bike shoes on top of my running shoes, then folded my towel over the top of the shoes and socks, just in case.   It started raining with about 3 miles left in my bike ride.   I was flying down a winding road in pour raining, trying to avoid lines on the road.  It stopped by the time I reached T2, socks were wet from the bike ride but running shoes were fine. It did make it hard to get my feet in my running shoes.  Otherwise, no big deal.  I live in Oregon, we are used to dealing with it.

2011-07-05 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi gang.

Sorry for not being so active lately, but I have been a a bad place lately.
I have been so unmotivated to train, it started after I got back from my last competition in Germany, maybe due to the lack of sleep on the flight home, and then a TT 2 days later left me completely empty. The next week I thought I was just tired but I kept cutting my bike workout short, I know I need to bike a lot more I just did not care about it. And just to made it really bad I have the Icelandic HIM championship on sunday ! I will still do it I can just not get excited about it.......

Well it looks like weather will be a lot nicer the next days so maybe that will help.
Sorry, but I just needed to went a bit.
I biked to work today and will take a nice detour on the way home as it is neither raining or storming today Maybe that has also been putting be down.
Funny enough my running have been very good lately, then again I am also well rested.

Ok, I hope you all have good weather and will use it to get out there and just do some else then sitting on the coach doing nothing.
2011-07-06 12:06 AM

Austin, TX

Hi Gang,

Like Mesteren, I've also been lacking motivation in my biking. I don't know why, I just haven't been able to motivate myself to get out there. I've been swimming like a fish and trying to run more. Maybe because biking requires a more concentrated effort to load my gear, load my bike, go to the "safe" biking area, etc. The heat and humidity in Austin is also becoming unbearable, making any workout feel twice as hard to do.  But I know I have to stop being a slacker and log some miles to get my legs back. Watching the Tour de France has helped to re-energize me a little, but also envious of the nice road bikes that probably cost more than my car. Tongue out

I do however get a pass this last week for my lack of training. I lost my grandfather last Monday and had to make an unplanned trip home to California. I took an entire week off to help with funeral preparations and just spend time with family. I was fortunate enough to see my grandpa when he was stable two weeks prior, as I had flown in for my brother's graduation/fathers day/mom's bday. I will miss him, but know he is in a better place without any pain or anguish. 

I'm still debating if I will be able to do another race. These trips, plus another upcoming wedding where I'm a bridesmaid are straining the budget a bit. But I may have to find an affordable one to keep myself motivated. Any advice on how to do this? 

2011-07-06 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon

I slacked on my bike all spring, the weather did nothing to inspire a ride.  Now it's hot (85 degrees, yeah and we have no humidity, so I'm just a softy) and I loving early morning, or late evening, rides.  So refreshing to be out and done before 7am.  Workout done!  I always get inspired by the TDF.  When I want to whine about a ride I think about the fact that it's not really work compared to what those riders are doing.  So for now, that's working.  I'm still trying to stay away from the run/walk to give the hip some time to chill.  

Need to get back to the pool!!!  Hope you all find your motivation again.

Christi

2011-07-09 2:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Haha, I hear you all on the lack of motivation... since I finished my race I have barely done any training at all... It's just been TOO HOT!  For the past 2 weeks the average daytime temp has been about 35 and in the evening/night it barely even drops, almost never going below 30!

I did get in a fantastic ride on Thursday morning... again, it was a scorcher, but since this is my only week off work, I figured I had to get in at least one good ride.  65km in 2:20 (took about 3 hours, with traffic light stops, and a couple water refill stops).  Temp was around 35, sun was out (but I started a 8am, so not too bad).

On a complete side note, anyone want a google+ invite?  It's kinda the new facebook, only in beta so far, but I'm in, so if you wanna try it out just let me know (PM with your gmail (or other) address.).  Not sure if you need a gmail account of not, but if you have one, it should work for sure!

2011-07-09 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi gang

Just a quick word to wish you all a good weekend

Good news from here is that the weather tomorrow for my HIM is suppose to be great, so hopefully everything will work out for me.

Have a good one
2011-07-10 6:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
Good Luck Mesteren, I'm sure you'll rock it!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mesteren's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14