General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-03-08 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3709126

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
That was very helpful. Thanks

2012-03-08 4:38 PM

User image

Regular
I rented 808's during IMFL and really liked how they rode.  Likely I will rent the same for IMLou.  I can't imagine doing a hilly course with a disc on the back.  I struggle enough with hills I can't imagine that I would want more weight to lug around (sure they are zipps and don't weigh that much more).   I also don't want to be "that guy" chuggin along at 17mph with a cool looking disc.
2012-03-08 6:20 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Hey everyone!  I just took the plunge today.  Man are these things getting expensive!  This will be my third IM.  I did the infamous IMLOO 2010 and did IMFL last year.  I am being a total slacker and haven't really started training.  For some reason, after FL, I was completely burnt out.  With the tease of warm weather we've had, I've been getting the bug to get out and ride a little.  I made the decision to do Louisville over Cozumel this year because I want a little redemption after the debacle that took place a few years ago.  I only hope for one thing - the weather cooperates with this year.  Fingers are crossed!!!  Good luck to everyone with their training!

Chris

2012-03-08 7:31 PM

User image

Expert
Cool Chris, I was there in 2010 as well and redemption we shall have!
2012-03-09 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4087499

User image

Master

hornjs - 2012-03-08 4:38 PM I rented 808's during IMFL and really liked how they rode.  Likely I will rent the same for IMLou.  I can't imagine doing a hilly course with a disc on the back.  I struggle enough with hills I can't imagine that I would want more weight to lug around (sure they are zipps and don't weigh that much more).   I also don't want to be "that guy" chuggin along at 17mph with a cool looking disc.

For the record a Zipp 900 disc weighs less than an Zipp 808.

2012-03-09 12:49 PM

User image

Regular

Thanks for the update jhouse.  I guess then I will go ahead and disc it up.

On a separate note, the chest cold is still lingering, but im starting to hack it out at least.  Managed to run yesterday for the first time in a week since it hit and I felt pretty good.  HR never got out of 140's so I was happy that I can train again.

On an even separate note, I've been having all sorts of Garmin issues lately.  My speed/cadence sensor is on crack.  I did my first workout with it last week and had to fine tune the position of every part just to get it to read right.  Then the speed was wayyyy off.  Reading the garmin blog, I realized I never turned the GPS off --- aarrghh.  I also can't get my HR strap to behave for my 310xt.  Even after trying all those things people suggested it still says my HR is in the low 220's.  After talking to support, they said its over a year old, out of warranty and that I was screwed.  Great.  Then updated my firmware for said 310xt and it reset all my settings, even footpod calibration.  So its back to the track this weekend to get that sorted out.  Looking forward to better times next week.

2012-03-09 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4087116

User image

Regular

Thanks! Hope everyone's training is going well!

Greg

2012-03-12 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4088852

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
hornjs - 2012-03-09 12:49 PM

Thanks for the update jhouse.  I guess then I will go ahead and disc it up.

On a separate note, the chest cold is still lingering, but im starting to hack it out at least.  Managed to run yesterday for the first time in a week since it hit and I felt pretty good.  HR never got out of 140's so I was happy that I can train again.

On an even separate note, I've been having all sorts of Garmin issues lately.  My speed/cadence sensor is on crack.  I did my first workout with it last week and had to fine tune the position of every part just to get it to read right.  Then the speed was wayyyy off.  Reading the garmin blog, I realized I never turned the GPS off --- aarrghh.  I also can't get my HR strap to behave for my 310xt.  Even after trying all those things people suggested it still says my HR is in the low 220's.  After talking to support, they said its over a year old, out of warranty and that I was screwed.  Great.  Then updated my firmware for said 310xt and it reset all my settings, even footpod calibration.  So its back to the track this weekend to get that sorted out.  Looking forward to better times next week.

I had the same thing happen to mine last summer.  I tried everything, even taking into the HQ(I live about 5 miles away).  The ended up replacing it and I havent had a problem since. 

I spent alot of time trying to figure out the problem.  Sounds like we bought ours around the same time, and have the older HR strap.  I guess this was fairly common.  Good luck with the recalibration.

2012-03-13 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4086442

New user

Thanks Japarker24
2012-03-19 9:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Ran a marathon yesterday...it's funny how I forget how much they hurt yet still up for them!  I am happy to not run another one for 23 weeks   It was super humid and everyone joked it was Day 1 of heat training for Louisville.

Also hired a coach and IM training starts...tomorrow! No rest for the weary but excited to jump back into tri training!

2012-03-19 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westfield, In

I just entered!!

I learned from my past mistakes at this race so I will be ready this year. 

12 hours here I come.

2012-03-20 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4087640

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westfield, In
Jeepguy2358 - 2012-03-08 6:20 PM

Hey everyone!  I just took the plunge today.  Man are these things getting expensive!  This will be my third IM.  I did the infamous IMLOO 2010 and did IMFL last year.  I am being a total slacker and haven't really started training.  For some reason, after FL, I was completely burnt out.  With the tease of warm weather we've had, I've been getting the bug to get out and ride a little.  I made the decision to do Louisville over Cozumel this year because I want a little redemption after the debacle that took place a few years ago.  I only hope for one thing - the weather cooperates with this year.  Fingers are crossed!!!  Good luck to everyone with their training!

Chris

Chris I did IMLO in 2010 as well. It was so hot that year. I do remember the water station just before LaGrange getting a water bottle and the volunteer yelling "Thats the last water bottle"

With the way temps are already going up this year I think we may be in store for a repeat of that year.

2012-03-20 6:06 PM
in reply to: #4105216

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
rwsads - 2012-03-20 3:27 PM
Jeepguy2358 - 2012-03-08 6:20 PM

Chris

Chris I did IMLO in 2010 as well. It was so hot that year. I do remember the water station just before LaGrange getting a water bottle and the volunteer yelling "Thats the last water bottle"

With the way temps are already going up this year I think we may be in store for a repeat of that year.

I really hope you're wrong!  The lack of water was exactly my problem.  I just don't know how you run out of water during an Ironman with a heat index over 100 degrees.  I learned from my mistake and adapted at IMFL in 2011 and was more in control of my race.

Here's my piece of advice for you first time IMers - ask as many questions as you can about any scenario you may think of.  I think the biggest thing about doing an IM is rolling with the punches and taking what the day gives.  Trust me, it can happen.  Listen carefully and you'll be prepared.

2012-03-20 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
What he said!  Lack of water in 2010 trashed my day, I had no backup plan.  Wont happen this year, I will have a plan for my plan for my plan for my plan, and a backup for that!
2012-03-20 10:22 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Everyone please train with Ironman Perform drink.  If it is hot and they run out of water, you should be able to take Ironman Perform drink instead.
2012-03-21 7:31 AM

User image

Lousiville
I think everyone was a surprised by how quickly the water went in 2010 even though it had been hot most of the summer. I'd be surprised if it happened again. Suppose it's best to be prepared as an athete on the course....better to have more than you need than not enough!

2012-03-21 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westfield, In

I would suggest to all first time racers to start testing salt pills as well.

I remember reading some race reports form the 2010 race where people forgot to take them and they were having really bad cramps toward the end of the bike and on the run. I read one guy even found some on the ground mixed them in water because he had forgotten his.

I used the Hammer strength product and took 1-2 every hour and had no cramping for the entire day.

2012-03-21 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4105846

User image

Master

japarker24 - 2012-03-20 10:22 PM Everyone please train with Ironman Perform drink.  If it is hot and they run out of water, you should be able to take Ironman Perform drink instead.

I don't think that they will run out of water again. Call me overly optimistic but I am pretty sure that is usually a one time mistake.

2012-03-21 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4106150

User image

Veteran
Commerce, Georgia

Enduralytes work great!.  Also I would advise anyone to not depend on what's available on the race course,,  Of coarse you have to depend on some but always keep enough on your bike from start to finish and replenish as needed.  On the run always carry a fuel belt so you always have the reserve liquids when you need them. 

Race how you train and that is you are used to carrying that stuff. 

IMFL2011 was my 1st IM.  IMLOO2013 will be my next.. No matter the weather,,,be prepared...

2012-03-22 7:32 AM

User image

Master
According to my phone we only have 159 days left until race day.
2012-03-22 7:43 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
First day of training for me today - started with a 2100m swim.  1 hr on the bike tonight.

2012-03-23 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4107864

User image

Regular

an interesting article from the oldham era about Ironman Louisville and cycling in general group rides.

County officials hope to put the brakes on bike traffic
Thursday, March 22, 2012 at 6:00 am (Updated: March 22, 3:15 pm)
more
... With warm weather already in the area, many people are getting their bicycles tuned up for summer riding.But an ordinance drafted by the county’s public safety committee should reduce the number of bicycle-related traffic snarls. The bicycle ordinance, still in draft format, will address concerns about traffic issues caused by large groups of cyclists.A major problem occurred last year during a ride raising funds for cancer research. Event coordinators obtained permission from the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet to be on U.S. 42, but did not notify local officials and caused traffic problems at the Old Sligo Road intersection.
Magistrate JD Sparks said the ordinance isn’t designed to ban cyclists from riding in Oldham County but to make it safer.Many cyclists already feel unsafe riding in the county — last May two cyclists were shot by a BB gun while riding in Pewee Valley.The ordinance would impact cycling events, including races and training rides that meet certain criteria.Any ride that includes more than 50 participants will need a permit and the course will be evaluated by officials to determine the number of police officers needed to direct traffic.
Event organizers will be responsible for paying standard rates for police support.Sparks said it is also unfair for residents to be inconvenienced by training rides that generate profits for Louisville businesses.“They’re making money off inconveniencing our citizens,” he said. “People are just coming in here and using our county.”However, the largest Ironman Louisville training rides are organized by riders on a social networking site for triathletes. The permit will also include information about the county’s sign ordinance, which prohibits the type of temporary directional signs often used for cycling events.
Organizers will also be required to advertise details of their event in advance to notify residents of potential detours.The proposed ordinance is still being revised by members of the public safety commission, which includes magistrates Sparks, Bob Dye and Bob Leslie, the committee’s chair.

2012-03-23 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4110361

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westfield, In

tcrunrun

I remember reading some articles about how some people in the olham area did not like the Ironman. They were throwing tacks out on the course in 2009 I believe. Just for that reason I carried and extra tube in 2010.

There was also a story about a farmer that was going to block the course with his tractor until the police stopped him and there is graffiti on the road the has the words Ironman with the circle and a line through it.

2012-03-23 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4110367

User image

Regular
That's disgusting... Hopefully that won't happen this year.
2012-03-23 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4110367

User image

Regular
rwsads - 2012-03-23 1:10 PM

tcrunrun

I remember reading some articles about how some people in the olham area did not like the Ironman. They were throwing tacks out on the course in 2009 I believe. Just for that reason I carried and extra tube in 2010.

There was also a story about a farmer that was going to block the course with his tractor until the police stopped him and there is graffiti on the road the has the words Ironman with the circle and a line through it.

----yea all of that is 100% true. i live on the oldham county line and train in the general area of the IM course very often. Most of the time ive had good experiences riding but there has been angry drivers and close calls. I find that the more into the country i go into henry and trimble countys, the people are so much nicer

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 43