BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-12-26 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3953922

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED
GoGoGo - 2011-12-26 10:41 AM

Great Chart, boss.  Thanks

I had way too much turkey last night.  I think I had it several times last nightUndecidedUggghEmbarassed

Anyway, got my a$$ out of the house this morning & went to gym.  Glad I did, felt much better after.

Did half hour on bike & the Dreadmill for 5k.  Glad to report, my hamstring did not trouble me & still feels good *fingers crossed for luck*

Hopefully I can build on this...

Awesome job working out the day after Christmas. Glad your hamstring is doing better.

2011-12-26 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
I'll add another technical question about the logs, how do I download a photo saved on my computer onto the dashboard?

Edited by jpbis26 2011-12-26 11:45 AM
2011-12-26 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3953949

User image

Expert
IceManScott - 2011-12-26 10:57 AM

I did 6 miles on the run this morning. 23 degrees, 13 wind chill.  Got to work at the paper today.  Holiday crew.

I'm reading Paleo Diet for Athletes.  Going to try it.  I log food, never eat more than 2600 which is supposed to be my base metabolism but holding 220-225 no matter how much I work out.   The bodybugg is saying base is more like 2200.

Going to cut carbs and see if Friehl is right, that you can fuel just fine with vegetables and fruits and the right liquid nutrition and repair tissue with protein and recover better than with a diet heavy in carbs.  When they eat carbs, they do it around exercise.  Going to see how it works.  I needed to put on extra upper body muscle for the IM swim but I'd like to cut it back now to get faster on the bike and run. 

Scott, I have read that book and I think it is great. I would caution you to stick with it because there will be an adjustment period for your body. After that thoug you may discover that it feels much better to eat like that. I have a good friend that was suffering from colotis and stopped doing tris and then ate in this fashion and his disease went away along with his problems. I have also heard from many women that suffer from ovarian cysts that it can solve that painful problem too.  Good Luck. I am interested to hear how you do!

Kirk

2011-12-26 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3954175

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
gator22 - 2011-12-26 2:19 PM
IceManScott - 2011-12-26 10:57 AM

I did 6 miles on the run this morning. 23 degrees, 13 wind chill.  Got to work at the paper today.  Holiday crew.

I'm reading Paleo Diet for Athletes.  Going to try it.  I log food, never eat more than 2600 which is supposed to be my base metabolism but holding 220-225 no matter how much I work out.   The bodybugg is saying base is more like 2200.

Going to cut carbs and see if Friehl is right, that you can fuel just fine with vegetables and fruits and the right liquid nutrition and repair tissue with protein and recover better than with a diet heavy in carbs.  When they eat carbs, they do it around exercise.  Going to see how it works.  I needed to put on extra upper body muscle for the IM swim but I'd like to cut it back now to get faster on the bike and run. 

Great Kirk.   Starting up this week and going full bore next.  I usually do great on the high protein, veggie, fruit diet so I'm hopeful.  Frankly I like the way I look at 220, but too much upper body is a waste.  

I set my "page" on here as public.  let me know if anyone has problems posting or reading. 

Scott, I have read that book and I think it is great. I would caution you to stick with it because there will be an adjustment period for your body. After that thoug you may discover that it feels much better to eat like that. I have a good friend that was suffering from colotis and stopped doing tris and then ate in this fashion and his disease went away along with his problems. I have also heard from many women that suffer from ovarian cysts that it can solve that painful problem too.  Good Luck. I am interested to hear how you do!

Kirk

2011-12-26 5:17 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Did another 2.5 mile run/walk today. Back on the wagon and trying to keep it rolling. Thanks everyone for the inspires!

Hopefully, after today, I can get my eating back on track. Ate WAY too much yesterday, and today is my 32nd birthday, so we're going out for sushi tonight. But after tonight, it should be easier to clean up my diet as all the holiday food/junk will be out of the house. I've taken some inspiration from the Paleo diet posts and decided that I can commit to eating a salad with grilled chicken everyday for lunch. My goal for January is to try and make our family dinners healthier. More salads & lean meat, less processed food & carbs.

2011-12-26 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3953949

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
IceManScott - 2011-12-26 8:57 AM

I hope the Paleo diet works for you, Scott... I'm going heavy on the protein too, and carbs prior to exercise. I swam at lunch today, and am running (hopefully 9 miles) later this evening. I think our wind chill dipped into the low 50s today (brrrr).

What paper do you work for?

- Steve

2011-12-26 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3954330

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
jpbis26 - 2011-12-26 5:17 PM

Did another 2.5 mile run/walk today. Back on the wagon and trying to keep it rolling. Thanks everyone for the inspires!

Hopefully, after today, I can get my eating back on track. Ate WAY too much yesterday, and today is my 32nd birthday, so we're going out for sushi tonight. But after tonight, it should be easier to clean up my diet as all the holiday food/junk will be out of the house. I've taken some inspiration from the Paleo diet posts and decided that I can commit to eating a salad with grilled chicken everyday for lunch. My goal for January is to try and make our family dinners healthier. More salads & lean meat, less processed food & carbs.

Happy Birthday Jackie!!!! Enjoy your last day before cutting back on all the goodies!

2011-12-26 7:38 PM

User image

Happy Birthday Jackie...

Have looked at the Paleo diet as well the last couple of days,just have to find out a little more about it also have been uping the protein and dropping the carbs to a minimum.I have some oatmeal with protein powder in the am after a fasted cardio session,then it's fairly very little after that.My main probablem of lately is being constant.
2011-12-26 7:53 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Just finished a 1:25 trainer ride while watching Ironman Arizona on Universal Sports. It was fun to watch and nice to see all the pros since some of them were finished before I even got off the bike  

2011-12-26 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3953789

User image

Regular
Denver

Trained Today:  90 Min Bike Trainer

w/u

m/s: 

* 4 x 5 Min, 60 sec rest
* 4 x 4 Min, 45 sec rest
* 4 x 3 Min, 30 sec rest
* 4 x 2 Min, 15 sec rest

Focus:  High Cadance!

c/d

2011-12-26 10:37 PM
in reply to: #3954494

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Kath2163 - 2011-12-26 7:53 PM

Just finished a 1:25 trainer ride while watching Ironman Arizona on Universal Sports. It was fun to watch and nice to see all the pros since some of them were finished before I even got off the bike  

Nice. 

2011-12-26 10:38 PM
in reply to: #3954540

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
CarlaLThompson - 2011-12-26 8:49 PM

Trained Today:  90 Min Bike Trainer

w/u

m/s: 

* 4 x 5 Min, 60 sec rest
* 4 x 4 Min, 45 sec rest
* 4 x 3 Min, 30 sec rest
* 4 x 2 Min, 15 sec rest

Focus:  High Cadance!

c/d

A lot of people hate the trainer.  Not me.  Great efficiency.  Nice workout.

2011-12-26 11:31 PM
in reply to: #3954663

User image

Regular
Denver

IceMan,

::: Whispering ::: I hope no one can read this, but I <3 LOVE <3 the trainer!!! 

It is one of the BEST most AMAZING Efficient, Time saving, safe and effective ways to train!

Always know what the weather is like on the trainer!  Good quality work for sure!  Glad I have at least one person that doesn't think the trainer is *Boring*!!!  My response is "You're not going HARD ENOUGH!"

2011-12-27 12:46 AM
in reply to: #3954704

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Uh-oh. Looks like this group is going to get me to dust off my trainer. It's not that its boring, it's just that it's...evil, pure torturous evil And probably just what I need.
2011-12-27 4:09 AM

User image

Got up early this morning and did a little stretching then hopped on the elliptical for 40 min./with a 5 min cool down,which I go backwards for.The first 5-7 min is my worst (while my heart rate soars and breathing increases)what the heck are you doing it's 4:00 in the morning,then I start to level my breathing and heart rate level and a smile comes to my face and I start to thank myself for getting up and doing something about my weight and eating habits and on top of that focusing on a race that I know I'm gonna enjoy Sometimes we can be are worst enemies...and sabotage our own goals....NOT TODAY
2011-12-27 5:13 AM
in reply to: #3954540

User image

Expert
Canada
CarlaLThompson - 2011-12-26 10:49 PM

Focus:  High Cadance

Are you measuring cadence to going by feel?

What is everyone's usual cadence?  I am a bit of a low cadence thrasher, but am trying to lighten the load a bit.  Reportedly Lance will often spin at 130ish.  I would not be a fan of this, but obviously I will never be a 7 time Tour winner!

Any opinions on optimal bike cadence?

R

2011-12-27 5:15 AM

User image

Expert
Canada

Well I had left-over turkey last night.  Too much again, but glad that is now gone!!!

Back to real life.

Gotta decide about gym, drainer or 5k outside today.  Should check the weather....

2011-12-27 6:24 AM
in reply to: #3954762

User image

Expert
I swam today for the first time since November of 2009! Oh Man, have I lost a lot. The road back to slow is long. I also am motivated to dust off my trainer by your enthusiasm....
2011-12-27 6:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Steve - 50s, however do you stand it!  I work for the Pantagraph in Bloomington, Il.  32 years next month. Love the career.  The last 6 years under Lee Enterprise leadership after purchase from Pulitzer have been hell.  I also write for outdoor magazines.  Been doing that 20 years as of 2012.

If you like the trainer, you'd love the Computrainer.  The trainer is linked to a computer that reads workout files.  My coach can design anything he likes.  High power, high cadence (VO2), moderate sets of tempo or endurance, strength exercises (SEs) with low cadence and high power like hill climbs.  You can also buy Real Course videos.  Someone goes out on a course and films it so you see the course and they overlay the grades so the computer can reproduce the hills, flats and descents as if you were there.  One exception, you can't coast so the RCV is actually harder than the real thing.  I did the RCV of Wisconsin IM several times last winter, nearly ever Sunday for 3 to 4 hours.  When I finally rode the course for real in spring, it was as if I'd been there before.  I knew what was around every turn.  Spooky, but it really helped.

High cadence drills for me are to move from 85, 90, 95, 100, and 105.  Start at like 5 mins a piece and work out to 30 mins. I do high cadence once a week.  

They say the best cadence to shoot for is about 90 rpm.   But that is not set in stone.  Some folks ride at 85, some at 95.  The fact is the more revs a minute you do, the more the work is spread out so you aren't pushing the legs as much.  The other side is the higher the revs, the greater the load on the aerobic system.  You can spin yourself to hell and get no where. 

The best approach is to realize we mostly spin too slow and do HC exercises to improve, then ride at different cadences to see what is the most natural for you to achieve the power goals and speed without burning yourself up for the run.  Save the legs. 

I never heard that lance rides at 130.  But he did change his riding style from gear cruncher to spinner after he returned from cancer and won 7 TdF.  So it just might be something to look at. 

2011-12-27 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3954782

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

gator22 - 2011-12-27 7:24 AM I swam today for the first time since November of 2009! Oh Man, have I lost a lot. The road back to slow is long. I also am motivated to dust off my trainer by your enthusiasm....

Maybe we can get you to Geneva in July?

2011-12-27 7:32 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Happy belated birthday Jackie!  Sorry I missed that yesterday!

2011-12-27 8:12 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

My cadence, when left to chance usually comes in around 80.  For some reason, with the Trek cadence/speed sensor and the power tap they appear to be conflicting and I haven't been able to get a good reading.  But, I have been trying to push that up along with the rest of the progress I am looking to make on the bike this winter.  For instance, yesterdays bike work out was 6 X 4' @ 20 min test power, I did every other one at the next gear to force me to spin faster to hit the power number. 

There is also a bit of corelation between bike cadence and run cadence.  During a race if you are grinding out at a 75 cadence for instance, and you get off the bike that rythm is going to carry over to the run.  Which may or may not match your normal run cadence.  Either way, I think that if you can widen your range of what is a comfortable cadence to the up side, long run you would be better off.

There is an article in this months LAVA magazine on the benefits of higher cadence for both the run and bike.  In a very general overview, a higher cadence is supposed to be better on the joints and tendons than a lower cadence.  Something I know that I could benefit from.

2011-12-27 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3954724

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

jpbis26 - 2011-12-27 1:46 AM Uh-oh. Looks like this group is going to get me to dust off my trainer. It's not that its boring, it's just that it's...evil, pure torturous evil And probably just what I need.

I like my trainer, for the most part.  It is more work in most instances than riding outside, but it is supposed to be work to some degree isn't it?  How else will we get better?  I do think that the trainer is easier with a planned workout rather than just sitting and spinning for a given time period.  Whether it is a written plan or a Spinerval type DVD, I need something to focus on other than the time.   If you are racing a hilly course next year, you also need to have the discipline to do some hill simulations.

2011-12-27 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yep, I am a trainer fan also!  A few friends don't understand how I can do it for long periods of time but for me it isn't an issue.  I love that I can just go downstairs and start riding. No prep work involved.  I have a TV/DVR which helps and have training videos that I can use.  My Garmin reads my cadence and I would say that my average is in the mid 80s.  I have worked on making my run cadence quicker as I have also read that run and bike cadence are related. 
2011-12-27 11:18 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Question for anyone that struggled with the swim

The Swim is by far my weakest discipline.

I've tried TI and it improved, but I still haven't had that "AH HA" moment.  The biggest issue is around my breathing, which I still am having trouble with, and I get winded very quickly.

My question is for anyone that had a similar struggle.  Is there anything specific that got you over the hump?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72