Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2012-01-09 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3980293

User image

Master
Subject: RE: THE SLAYER RULES-CLOsED for xmas
phatknot - 2012-01-09 3:42 PM

well said Jordan. if you can shut off the external challenges and make them internal you are much better off. in other words, trying to compete with yourself vs compete with others. im an external challenger that is doing my best to transition but its not easy. i just love to compete against others too much. its in my nature like i bet its in a lot of our natures.

gladiator, if i was coaching you, just based on the surface info i have at my disposal and assuming that you can train 12-18 hours per week or more if need be, i think the end of 2013 would be fine for a 70.3 or 140.6 provided its swimsuit legal. i think you could get done one sooner but it might be ugly. it all depends on your training time and expectations. thoughts everyone?

I think even the European races are swim suit legal. The Hedonism one is not. Just fill in wetsuit for swimsuit

2012-01-09 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3980377

User image

Master

phatknot - 2012-01-09 4:17 PM Peter, how does your run emphasis feel as you start the new year? are you noticing any physiological adaptations?

I really think it will take longer to see a benefit. I have toyed with the idea of a 5k this weekend but I think my time would be better spent with a long ride/run. I'm sure my aerobic base is better. I don't dread running as much. It has become more of a habit. I probably won't test my speed until Parris Island. I also didn't hit quite the volume you suggested but I did have consistency. I will let you know in March. You can see for yourself in April

2012-01-09 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3980314

User image

Master

vibratingp00 - 2012-01-09 3:51 PM Im also on the Kinvara bandwagon.  I was able to comfortably run a half in them and do my long runs for marathon training.  Wore them the marathon and was a little sore afterwards, but I attribute that to other things.  I was wearing Brooks Defyance shoes and didnt have any problems transitioning. 

I agree. I did my last HIM run in them and was fine. It was a timing issue the first time around. I really like the shoe

2012-01-09 6:02 PM
in reply to: #3944639

User image

Veteran

Holly crap I don't check this thread in 3-4 hours and then I have an hour of reading to get caught up. I love how everyone is engaging

Personally I'm on a 3 year plan to IronMan. First year I did sprints and finished up with an Oly. This year I'm doing 1 sprint, 2 Olys and 1 HIM and 2013 will be an ironman year with 1 Sprint, 1 Oly, 1 HIM and finish it off with an Ironman. I expect my training next year to take 7 months following the Be Iron Fit competitive program. I'm hoping it can take me a year to train my wife (JOKE) and I hope she is fully on board by then. Still working on it with Candy, Coach bags and romantic getaways to places she loves. I am saving all my points for the declaration of Ironman

2012-01-09 6:25 PM

User image

Veteran

I was thinking 70.3 in June/2013 or September/2013...but this is all coming from sitting on the couch with my laptop. Of course, we can all pretty much do poor trainings and finally finish it, but it's that inner battle/struggle, competing with yourself...to be better that time, that day, in that race...because it's then, not 24h hours after when you lie down on a sofa recovering. What I try to say is that my goal is to finish eventually, but I know it's not worth it if you don't give your best at it.

I will be patient and smart (I hope). We'll see what my club members have in mind this and next year. So far unspecified.

2012-01-09 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran

Got back from swim session 2 hours ago (it's late night currently). In 4 hours I have to wake up and go to work, but I'm having insomnia (not good).

@nerdjock - can U comment on simple carbs and other nutrients prior going to sleep? I am familiar with acid foods (such as fruits) - they extend your wakeness and prevent you to fell asleep right after consuming.

2012-01-09 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran

Rest day for me today and it feels good.

Re: support from significant others, it is a fine line gaining support and still providing support for their activities. I am lucky that I don't have kids and a wife who is supportive and a job that is pretty stable. She is asking though "what is missing that you need to do an Ironman?". As I say to her, nothing is missing, it's just a goal that I have that I want to complete an IM before I turn 55 (Jan 2013). I think that once you find a hobby/sport that you are passionate about, that you will make the time for it and the family life.

I had a similar goal when I was about 47, that I wanted to complete a Marathon before I was 50. I did it at 48. I need a goal, otherwise I would be in front of the TV, or worse.

Unless you are a pro, you need to find the time for everything.

For me, this year will be a challenge to get everything done, but what a rush when I cross that finish line in Florida.

2012-01-09 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3980849

User image

Elite
SE
we all need goals and rest. long term plans are important. glad to see you thinking about the sport as a lifestyle as opposed to a firework. I thank Peter for being a good sport too on his IMCOZ plans. next up to get dissected is ????
2012-01-09 11:31 PM
in reply to: #3980849

User image

Veteran
richtherunner - 2012-01-10 2:43 AM

I had a similar goal when I was about 47, that I wanted to complete a Marathon before I was 50. I did it at 48.

What was your first Marathon time?

@everyone else who completed - what was yours?

2012-01-10 1:20 AM
in reply to: #3981196

User image

Elite
SE
In 08, I ran a 3:06 and walked a portion between 21-22 then shuffled home for my first. Then Boston in 09 I was sub 3 hour pace at mile 15 and my itb tightened and I limped the rest for a low 4. Then I swore off marathons except for IM. I ran another low 4 at Imaz 09, a 3:53 at imfl, and my worse to date just sub 5 imcda in 2011. I ran a 4:30 pacing Mrs Slayer in Nov of 2011. Now I'm looking at a goal to complete the ultra marathon this month, trying to go sub3:30 in March and possibly hit it hard again for Savannah in Nov 2012. Basically in my view I have 2 good ones, my first and imfl. I think I'm capable of 3:3x at imfl in 2013 and 3:20 at my next hard standalone.
2012-01-10 5:15 AM
in reply to: #3981196

User image

Veteran
Gladiador - 2012-01-10 12:31 AM
richtherunner - 2012-01-10 2:43 AM

I had a similar goal when I was about 47, that I wanted to complete a Marathon before I was 50. I did it at 48.

What was your first Marathon time?

@everyone else who completed - what was yours?

As I said in my bio, I am not fast. Did my first, 18 months after starting to run, in just under 6hrs, however it was really hot that day, they ran out of water/gatorade at two water stations in the second half. During training I had Achilles problems that forced me to forgo the really long training runs. At about 22K my IT band really tighted up and I hobbled to the end. I also swore off Marathons, but have done 2 more, one was the Goofy (1/2 mara on Saturday, full on Sunday) and got a 4:54. Then last fall did a 4:35 having coached a group of runners for 18 weeks.

2012-01-10 6:32 AM

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: RE: THE SLAYER RULES-FULL Up
Rich makes a good point and after he posted I re thought something I wrote. I actually do not think I have run a very good marathon yet. Yes I have a fast time on one and a sub4 at an IM mary, but both were flawed in certain respects. A very good mary should not have you walking and shuffling, but you should be negative splitting. And at IMFL, I think I underperformed my capability in the interest of running the whole time. So there you have it, Slayer still in search of the elusive very good mary.
2012-01-10 7:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
I ran a 3:33 in 2010 in my first marathon (Philly), but found it to be less than fulfilling as I crossed the finish line.  At Chicago this year, I ran with my wife and that was a little better.  Its still just an "end of the year, too cold for tris" activity.  At some point, Id like to BQ, but I dont want to have to dedicate myself to a true marathon training plan for a couple months over the summer.  I am curious to see how my attitude changes next year when we try to do an IM, maybe Ill be more into an end of the year marathon as a race instead of an activity.
2012-01-10 8:14 AM

User image

Master

Mistakes I made in my first IM and hope not to repeat.

1. Upgrade-itis

-Bought a new bike 4 weeks before the race

-Bought new running shoes

-Bought new cycling shoes and switched from SPD to Speedplay pedals (Speedplay are fine but the timing of the switch was not good)

2. Signed up for local Sprint tris. Mostly to show off my fitness (which didn't happen) I would show up to the races lethargic and was supposed to finish the race and then do a long ride or run. This keep me from racing hard but I was still too tired to have a good long run. Usually I would wake up wrecked and not have a solid training session. No Sprints during heavy training this year. I would end up resting or traveling the day before the race. My time would have been much better spent training instead of a crappy race weekend.

3. More running.

4. Take my time in T1 put on suntan lotion a little better

5. Take time in T2 to change into running shorts

2012-01-10 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3981504

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
pschriver - 2012-01-10 9:14 AM

1. Upgrade-itis

-Bought new cycling shoes and switched from SPD to Speedplay pedals (Speedplay are fine but the timing of the switch was not good)

2. Signed up for local Sprint tris. Mostly to show off my fitness (which didn't happen) I would show up to the races lethargic and was supposed to finish the race and then do a long ride or run. This keep me from racing hard but I was still too tired to have a good long run. Usually I would wake up wrecked and not have a solid training session. No Sprints during heavy training this year. I would end up resting or traveling the day before the race. My time would have been much better spent training instead of a crappy race weekend.

3. More running.

Whats everyone elses take on this?  Last year, I did a couple "training" races and also couldnt find the right game face for them.  One of the races was a little bit wet, so I mailed in the bike because the mentality was "dont crash".  This year, I think Im just going to skip them, maybe do one warm up Olympic, but really just do my two "A" 70.3 races. 

2012-01-10 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3981584

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
vibratingp00 - 2012-01-10 9:54 AM

1. Upgrade-itis

3. More running.

Whats everyone elses take on this?  Last year, I did a couple "training" races and also couldnt find the right game face for them.  One of the races was a little bit wet, so I mailed in the bike because the mentality was "dont crash".  This year, I think Im just going to skip them, maybe do one warm up Olympic, but really just do my two "A" 70.3 races. 

Last year, I didn't do any races in the build up to my 70.3. It was my first one and I only decided to do it 12 weeks out. I found a coach to help with the training and we both thought that the few weekends that I had left to train would be better served getting in long rides and runs.

This year, I am doing some races building up to my A 70.3. Mainly because I like racing. It's fun for me being around everyone and pushing. I do a lot of Z2 work so I really enjoying getting out there and seeing what my body actually can do. As long as you don't expect to go out there and be 100% for the race, use it as a training day.

2012-01-10 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3981504

User image

Elite
SE
pschriver - 2012-01-10 8:14 AM

1. Upgrade-itis

3. More running.

My take on this is 1. upgradeitits killed my IMCDA! THus, I think less is more now. Fit/comfort is essential more than the grams you save here and there. I feel like I kind of deserved (i.e., severe cramping in both lats) what I got on the new bike from turning my back on my trusty old stead.

2. More running is the key to long course success! That is why I try to run 50 miles per week. You think you are running enough? You aren't! Run some more. Josh Kaptur said it best on the IMCDA 10 thread when he said you want to hit the marathon and think "Oh, its just another marathon...".

3. Racing alot-I have a love hate relationship with racing. It just tears me up with performance anxiety but it mostly turns out pretty awesome. Purely from a coaching standpoint, the better training is way more useful to the long course athlete than the ego stroke you get from a kick butt short course race performance. Thus to maximize performance (note that I did not say fun), its best to race the little stuff less and train the big stuff more.

Now, I should add a couple of things in there. A. my friend tri-ghost races loads and does very well at most distances. He thinks racing alot helps with racing.  Its hard to argue with his results. B. short course racing is generally fun. so you have to ask yourself, what am I in the sport for? If its your best times, I say race less. If its good performance and a lot of fun, I say mix it up and race when you want to race as long as you understand you are not peaking for short course just because you are training long course.

hope that all made sense.

2012-01-10 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3981613

User image

Master
scottyr7 - 2012-01-10 10:06 AM
vibratingp00 - 2012-01-10 9:54 AM

1. Upgrade-itis

3. More running.

Last year, I didn't do any races in the build up to my 70.3. It was my first one and I only decided to do it 12 weeks out. I found a coach to help with the training and we both thought that the few weekends that I had left to train would be better served getting in long rides and runs.

This year, I am doing some races building up to my A 70.3. Mainly because I like racing. It's fun for me being around everyone and pushing. I do a lot of Z2 work so I really enjoying getting out there and seeing what my body actually can do. As long as you don't expect to go out there and be 100% for the race, use it as a training day.

I agree it's less of an issue for the HIM distance where the long runs are 2-3 hours and rides are about the same 6-8 weeks before the race. For IM on the big weekends you are doing 4-5 hour runs with 6-8 hours  bike rides. It is really hard for me to sneak in a sprint and still get those workouts in.

2012-01-10 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3981857

User image

Master
phatknot - 2012-01-10 11:59 AM
pschriver - 2012-01-10 8:14 AM

1. Upgrade-itis

3. More running.

My take on this is 1. upgradeitits killed my IMCDA! THus, I think less is more now. Fit/comfort is essential more than the grams you save here and there. I feel like I kind of deserved (i.e., severe cramping in both lats) what I got on the new bike from turning my back on my trusty old stead.

2. More running is the key to long course success! That is why I try to run 50 miles per week. You think you are running enough? You aren't! Run some more. Josh Kaptur said it best on the IMCDA 10 thread when he said you want to hit the marathon and think "Oh, its just another marathon...".

3. Racing alot-I have a love hate relationship with racing. It just tears me up with performance anxiety but it mostly turns out pretty awesome. Purely from a coaching standpoint, the better training is way more useful to the long course athlete than the ego stroke you get from a kick butt short course race performance. Thus to maximize performance (note that I did not say fun), its best to race the little stuff less and train the big stuff more.

Now, I should add a couple of things in there. A. my friend tri-ghost races loads and does very well at most distances. He thinks racing alot helps with racing.  Its hard to argue with his results. B. short course racing is generally fun. so you have to ask yourself, what am I in the sport for? If its your best times, I say race less. If its good performance and a lot of fun, I say mix it up and race when you want to race as long as you understand you are not peaking for short course just because you are training long course.

hope that all made sense.

I don't know Tri-ghost but I am willing to bet he has a good aerobic base and can tolerate the stress of racing in addition to his training. For somebody transitioning to a new, longer distance it would be a little different. Again the most important aspect is to have fun and enjoy the sport.

2012-01-10 3:29 PM

User image

Elite
SE

how does one get the most fun and best performance is the next question, Peter? if you are outcomes oriented and get a bigger charge off race results, I say race less. If you just love being out there and completing and are ok with subpar results for yourself, i say race more. im trying to find a place where i get the good results and i enjoy myself. thats why this year's race schedule has no IM.

From my standpoint, there is no halfway approach to the IM distances. By virtue of the nature of the beast, and here is where nerdjock and I disagree, i think its tough to be balanced and training for a solid IM.

whats training and weight loss looking like for y'all? any interesting things coming uP?

2012-01-10 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3982402

User image

Veteran

any interesting things coming uP?

yap, plain eat less carbs and calories and sweat more. Pure elementary school maths...

2012-01-10 6:02 PM

User image

New user
Watkinsville, Ga

I am one that is in the care less about racing corner. I like to do races that appeal to me on more a level other than just sprint, i.e. doing a local sprint to support local groups rather than doing the tri the park series. Again this is partly financially oriented but also just enjoy training. Last year I did one oly in May. I spent the rest of the summer basically as if I was training for a race. When I do race I go all out, but I also try to enjoy the event as much as possible. Most races I am not going to podium, so I see no reason not to enjoy the event as much as I can.

I go into every race with some sort of time goal, and during the race I try to stay within the plan to reach this goal. However, as long as I finish, if I don't hit that time, I don't consider the race a fail. For me the journey to the race is much more fulfilling than the actual race itself.

2012-01-10 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3982402

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
phatknot - 2012-01-10 4:29 PM

whats training and weight loss looking like for y'all? any interesting things coming up?

I am trying to get down into the mid 170s by the time June rolls around. I have started eating better the past week to try and burn some of the extra winter weight off.

I have my first "race" coming up next weekend. Really just using it as a training day. It's called the Hogpen Hill Climb. It's a 17K run uphill the entire way. Should be a fun day.

2012-01-10 6:48 PM

I guess my thinking may be a little flawed and not have any thing to stand behind, but if I'm going to put in the effort I'm In it to win it. While I may/probably not place I'm not going to complete I'm going to do my damnedest to compete. Anyway that's my rational to this event and have my first sprint in 1 month, I'll let you know how this philosophy works
2012-01-10 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3982771

User image

Master

hoale1985 - 2012-01-10 7:48 PM I guess my thinking may be a little flawed and not have any thing to stand behind, but if I'm going to put in the effort I'm In it to win it. While I may/probably not place I'm not going to complete I'm going to do my damnedest to compete. Anyway that's my rational to this event and have my first sprint in 1 month, I'll let you know how this philosophy works

Your thinking is not flawed. That's the Slayer attitude. A sprint is an all out speed effort. Wide open from start to finish. The key is to get from start to finish without any screwing around in the middle. You can loose a lot of time changing clothes, eating/drinking or fiddling with equipment in the transition area. Slayer has a decent video on his page on how to get in and out quickly. If you have any specific questions,lets hear them. Never apologize for wanting to win. Its still a race  

Let us know when and where the race is. My first sprint this year will be at Paris Island in March.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » THE SLAYER RULES-FULL Up Rss Feed  

of 46