BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Mentor group---Full! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2012-01-26 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4010912

User image

Regular
Drayton
Subject: RE: Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Mentor group---Full!
Moonrocket - 2012-01-25 4:41 PM

I have a really dumb question that I'm hoping the Candians can help me with.  I need to get a wetsuit and 19 is my lucky number, so when I saw I could get a wetsuit with a big 19 on it, I was intrigued.  Does anyone know anything about this brand?

Thanks!

Never used one, but I see alot of them at the events I've been to, so they are popular enough..probably alot of reviews floating around on the different models.

2012-01-26 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3945488

User image

Regular
Drayton
Got my trainer tire yesterday...now to change the tire..embarassed to say I've never done it :P
2012-01-26 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4012258

User image

Expert

hexbinary - 2012-01-26 11:07 AM Got my trainer tire yesterday...now to change the tire..embarassed to say I've never done it :P

Better to learn now than on race day Smile

Edited by yogachic 2012-01-26 12:04 PM
2012-01-26 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4012432

User image

Regular
Drayton
yogachic - 2012-01-26 1:04 PM

hexbinary - 2012-01-26 11:07 AM Got my trainer tire yesterday...now to change the tire..embarassed to say I've never done it :P

Better to learn now than on race day Smile

done

I won't be joining the Tour anytime soon as a mechanic.

2012-01-26 7:54 PM

User image

The more you do it, the easier it gets. I suggest doing it a couple of times with the race tire you will be using. If it a new tire on race day, it usually a little stiffer / harder to mount to the rim.
2012-01-26 8:16 PM

User image

Regular
Drayton

Finished week 3 of C25K tonight..yai

No knee problems, I think the new shoes really helped. I get really sore in the left shin though, and sometimes it travels into my ankle...any ideas? I'm building up slowly, and will repeat a week if necessary.

2012-01-26 8:47 PM

User image

Champion
Hey guys! Looks like everyone is doing well this week! I'll get around to looking at everyone's training this weekend hopefully! I was on call last night and didn't get home till 1am and back this morning for a patient conference. Got my workout in and now I'm going to bed!! Oh call......16hrs yesterday....can't wait till overnight call....at least you get a post call day after though. Evening call you don't. Boooooo
2012-01-26 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran

Finally getting back to workouts. I have been a bit under the weather since getting back from our trip but feeling better tonight. I did a 40 min spin on the bike at the gym and then I had my first swim lesson. That was fun. She timed me for 10 minutes to see how far I could go - 400m, which, actually, was more than I was expecting. It's also by far the longest I've swum without a pull buoy in a while.

I'm going to try to commit to swimming more while I'm getting my weekly lesson so that I'm making the most of them. 

2012-01-26 9:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I've had a rough week. Didn't get as much training in as I would have liked. I guess I can still hit my goals if I get a good run in tomorrow and a long bike on Sat. Hard to keep up when life gets busy! I did order new running shoes and got a new cap and goggles. My friend and I even decided we're going to do Thursday night masters and find a spinning class during the week (she's the biker on my 70.3 relay.
2012-01-27 7:39 PM

User image

New user

Its amazing how a few days can seem like such a long time...that is likely due to traversing several timezones and 18 hours on a plane...

my training took a pause this week due to the travel, but once I catch up on my sleep it will pick up...  I hit the hotel gym this morning since it was pitch dark outside here.  I plan to run outside along the Arabian Sea tomorrow morning to get out. 

Keep up the good work!

2012-01-28 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4013383

User image

Champion
hexbinary - 2012-01-26 7:16 PM

No knee problems, I think the new shoes really helped. I get really sore in the left shin though, and sometimes it travels into my ankle...any ideas? I'm building up slowly, and will repeat a week if necessary.

Could be a shin splint or tendonitis. Prob best to take it slow if the pain continues. Shin spints are caused by the muscle belly increasing in size too quickly/or being inflammed due to injury, compared to how fast the fibrous shealth that surrounds the muscle is able to expand to accomodate the increased size from either of those two reasons. 

Pain still there? Have you tried icing? Tylenol/Advil? 

2012-01-28 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4013427

User image

Champion
christiekate - 2012-01-26 7:53 PM

Finally getting back to workouts. I have been a bit under the weather since getting back from our trip but feeling better tonight. I did a 40 min spin on the bike at the gym and then I had my first swim lesson. That was fun. She timed me for 10 minutes to see how far I could go - 400m, which, actually, was more than I was expecting. It's also by far the longest I've swum without a pull buoy in a while.

I'm going to try to commit to swimming more while I'm getting my weekly lesson so that I'm making the most of them. 

Glad you feel better. Nice swim. Glad you will be hitting the water more!

2012-01-28 12:52 PM
in reply to: #4013475

User image

Champion

Moonrocket - 2012-01-26 8:55 PM I've had a rough week. Didn't get as much training in as I would have liked. I guess I can still hit my goals if I get a good run in tomorrow and a long bike on Sat. Hard to keep up when life gets busy! I did order new running shoes and got a new cap and goggles. My friend and I even decided we're going to do Thursday night masters and find a spinning class during the week (she's the biker on my 70.3 relay.

Hope you are able to get training in today! It is def hard to keep the training up when you get busy! I can relate!

2012-01-28 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4015318

User image

Champion
JBougher - 2012-01-27 6:39 PM

Its amazing how a few days can seem like such a long time...that is likely due to traversing several timezones and 18 hours on a plane...

my training took a pause this week due to the travel, but once I catch up on my sleep it will pick up...  I hit the hotel gym this morning since it was pitch dark outside here.  I plan to run outside along the Arabian Sea tomorrow morning to get out. 

Keep up the good work!

Hope you have a good run! That sounds so cool! I think I might try to do a half marathon or something somewhere awesome once I finish medicine. My parents have said they plan to take me on a cool trip once I graduate in June 2013 before I start residency. It would be nice to combine the two and do some cool race too! 

Hope you get over the jet lag!

2012-01-28 1:02 PM

User image

Champion

Planning on watching some Project Runway and then hitting the road for my weekly long run. I've spent the morning doing nothing. Haha. 

Just got all my schedule info for general surgery. My call schedule doesn't look to bad...thank god...but we will see. 2 weeks left on psych!

2012-01-28 4:20 PM

User image

Expert

I did a half marathon today.  I'd completely forgotten I'd registered for it until a few weeks ago when a friend started asking me about it.  Whoops.  But since I'd been training for my ski race and there isn't any snow on the ground to speak of this week, I figured running a half marathon should be good training for the 23k ski race.  

Anyways, it went well, all things considered.  I just used my heart rate monitor to make sure I was going a reasonable pace.  I thought this was a better way to determine effort, since I'd been having hip issues the last year and so my pace is completely different (ie, much slower) than I'm used to... plus there were 35 mph gusts of wind throughout the run, and some icy/slippery surfaces.  It worked perfectly, and I was able to increase my effort for the last 3 miles and finish strong.  

I ended up finishing about 8 minutes faster than the half I did in November, when I had JUST started running again (I had actually been registered for the marathon months in advance but couldn't do it due to my hip/foot probs, so I just did the half very slowly instead).  So I guess the good news is that my running is finally improving!  Hopefully I'll be back to my normal pace come spring!  

Oh, and no hip or foot pain at all, even after the run!  In November, I was totally limping like crazy after that half!  

2012-01-28 8:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats on your half! Everyone here amazes me with your athleticism.I had a really good swim. I swapped my bike and swim days since it was 20f when I had time today and it's supposed to get to 55f tomorrow. I also went and tried on a wetsuit which was cool but they only had medium in tall and the arms were too long. The fabric was amazing! So much more flexible than the one I borrowed last time. It was a Blue Seventy Helix.So, my big question... My friend is trying to convince me to do 70.3 with him in Sept or Oct. Is that just crazy stupid to even consider given where I am. I can see doing fine on the swim and ok on the bike, but I've never run further than a 10k.

Edited by Moonrocket 2012-01-28 8:49 PM
2012-01-29 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4016246

User image

Champion
yogachic - 2012-01-28 3:20 PM

I did a half marathon today.  I'd completely forgotten I'd registered for it until a few weeks ago when a friend started asking me about it.  Whoops.  But since I'd been training for my ski race and there isn't any snow on the ground to speak of this week, I figured running a half marathon should be good training for the 23k ski race.  

Anyways, it went well, all things considered.  I just used my heart rate monitor to make sure I was going a reasonable pace.  I thought this was a better way to determine effort, since I'd been having hip issues the last year and so my pace is completely different (ie, much slower) than I'm used to... plus there were 35 mph gusts of wind throughout the run, and some icy/slippery surfaces.  It worked perfectly, and I was able to increase my effort for the last 3 miles and finish strong.  

I ended up finishing about 8 minutes faster than the half I did in November, when I had JUST started running again (I had actually been registered for the marathon months in advance but couldn't do it due to my hip/foot probs, so I just did the half very slowly instead).  So I guess the good news is that my running is finally improving!  Hopefully I'll be back to my normal pace come spring!  

Oh, and no hip or foot pain at all, even after the run!  In November, I was totally limping like crazy after that half!  

Nice work Missy! Glad you don't have any pain!

2012-01-29 7:23 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
yogachic - 2012-01-28 4:20 PM

Nice job! Glad you're pain free post run!

2012-01-29 7:35 PM
in reply to: #4016532

User image

Champion

Moonrocket - 2012-01-28 7:48 PM Congrats on your half! Everyone here amazes me with your athleticism.I had a really good swim. I swapped my bike and swim days since it was 20f when I had time today and it's supposed to get to 55f tomorrow. I also went and tried on a wetsuit which was cool but they only had medium in tall and the arms were too long. The fabric was amazing! So much more flexible than the one I borrowed last time. It was a Blue Seventy Helix.So, my big question... My friend is trying to convince me to do 70.3 with him in Sept or Oct. Is that just crazy stupid to even consider given where I am. I can see doing fine on the swim and ok on the bike, but I've never run further than a 10k.

So I've thought about this throughout the day....The main issue I see is compounding the three together when you have little experience in triathlon. I guess it depends on your goals going in and how well you are able to stay injury free. I won't tell you not to do it, simply because I don't like when people tell me not to do something, and I won't tell you "sure, do it" because I think there are some things to think about:

1) Are you generally able to commit the time needed to train per week? I'd say for a HIM its prob around 8-10hrs+. 

2) Are you generally able to increase volume/intensity without sustaining an injury?

3) Are you comfortable with the idea of doing a HIM this year or do you think it is best left for the future?

4) Are you financially able to do the event? (HIM/IM are $$$ for people depending on the event, location, travel, food, training costs, accomodation, etc)

These races will always be there and ultimately only you will know when you feel you are up to the challenge. Don't do it purely for the reason that someone else is, do it because you want to. As far as the running, if you aim for October then you have plenty of time to increase your run mileage to be able to do it. Its just putting those three together and being comfortable with running 21km after a 90km ride. (I like my metric...you guys can do the conversions )

2012-01-30 7:02 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
^^^^^^ DANG Melissa, when did you get so wise?

2012-01-30 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the awesome advice! I think I'm just getting high on feeling good about setting a goal for myself and following through. Just trying to find the goal that will really feel like an accomplishment. My two worries of what you posted are injuries and training time.
2012-01-30 11:44 AM

User image

yogachic - 2012-01-28 5:20 AM

That's awesome. I have been at a retreat with our church in West Virginia. I was able to get a couple short runs in which was better than I had hoped. back to insanity today

2012-01-30 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4015994

User image

Regular
Drayton
mndymond - 2012-01-28 1:38 PM
hexbinary - 2012-01-26 7:16 PM

Could be a shin splint or tendonitis. Prob best to take it slow if the pain continues. Shin spints are caused by the muscle belly increasing in size too quickly/or being inflammed due to injury, compared to how fast the fibrous shealth that surrounds the muscle is able to expand to accomodate the increased size from either of those two reasons. 

Pain still there? Have you tried icing? Tylenol/Advil? 

Ya, it came back during my last interval tonight..left shin starts "burning" then eventually feel weakness in my ankle...had to split up the interval into a couple smaller ones.

2012-01-31 1:05 PM

User image

Hey guys, sorry I've been MIA, work has been crazy hectic and my workouts have been mostly absent but I'm trying to get back on the wagon.  I ran three miles last night and have an hour of power hour spinning tonight.  Hopefully I can stay on track from here on out.

Hope everyone's training is going well!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Mentor group---Full! Rss Feed  

of 18