BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2012-02-03 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4027274

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session)
bcagle25 - 2012-02-03 9:47 AM

Jess congrats on the new job, keep your running gear in your car at all times. Never know when some free time might pop up and you get head out for a run!

I have three (sometimes four) workout bags in the back of my car at all times. If the opportunity comes up I have a running clothes bag with everything needed for an impromptu run (in the winter the fourth bag is filled with outside running clothes-tights, hat, gloves, windbreaker), a swim clothes bag, and a bag with cycling stuff (indoor spin class type opportunities). Not infrequently the bike is back there as well.

As Ben says, you never know when you can get a workout in. In fact today the first case of the day was cancelled and the second pt could not be in until 10 am so I got my run for the day out of the way. Can't beat that.

2012-02-03 10:11 PM
in reply to: #4027491

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
bcagle25 - 2012-02-03 7:58 AM

I posted this in another forum and would like to hear anyones feedback or ideas. Let me know what you think would work.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=423150&posts=1&start=1

Do you already edit video? I have a go pro that I got for motocross but never get around to editing them. Every time i start I have to go through the software learning curve over again.  Regardless the camera is great and someday I will get around to it. I think it would be best to have someone help you so you can be in it for shots. Good music is always the key in my opinion along with a fair amount of editing. I liked the transitions in the first video (like spitting water - changing from black and white to color). Plus going 70 mph down hill adds to a good video, crazy! I can kill an evening watching youtube videos like these

Good week for me, hit all my workouts minus a few miles on the bike do to family stuff. Swapped my weekend run to today instead of a bike because I want to ride outside! Really happy with my swim, finally relaxing and able to keep bilateral breathing going for up to 600 yards today with no problem. I know I could have doubled that but decided to keep to the plan. Hope everyone has a good weekend. 

2012-02-04 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3949904

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Thursdays downhill runs have really done some damage to my legs. Everything still hurts basically and I have an hour fartlek run tomorrow with a 90 min bike today to get done so I may just take tomorrow of from running and swim instead, well see. Learned a lesson on that run Thursday and hopefully my legs come back sometime today, its not fun waking up and hobbling around. Foolish mistake on my part.
2012-02-04 8:59 AM
in reply to: #4028881

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
BMiller71 - 2012-02-03 10:11 PM
bcagle25 - 2012-02-03 7:58 AM

I posted this in another forum and would like to hear anyones feedback or ideas. Let me know what you think would work.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=423150&posts=1&start=1

Do you already edit video? I have a go pro that I got for motocross but never get around to editing them. Every time i start I have to go through the software learning curve over again.  Regardless the camera is great and someday I will get around to it. I think it would be best to have someone help you so you can be in it for shots. Good music is always the key in my opinion along with a fair amount of editing. I liked the transitions in the first video (like spitting water - changing from black and white to color). Plus going 70 mph down hill adds to a good video, crazy! I can kill an evening watching youtube videos like these

Good week for me, hit all my workouts minus a few miles on the bike do to family stuff. Swapped my weekend run to today instead of a bike because I want to ride outside! Really happy with my swim, finally relaxing and able to keep bilateral breathing going for up to 600 yards today with no problem. I know I could have doubled that but decided to keep to the plan. Hope everyone has a good weekend. 

This is one of the great features of macs, they have iMovie which really dumbs down the process of editing video that even my grandma could operate the system. My friend used to do a lot of video editing so I may go to him for ideas. I am hoping to do enough group training to get a variety of shots as well throughout the year so it is not just limited to my POV.

2012-02-04 10:42 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

There are several keys to good video. A great deal depends on what you want to do with it and how much time you're willing to spend.

-multiple views are critical, which means if you're doing race video you want multiple cameras or are willing to stop and change where the camera is mounted

-when editing the clips together aim for variety

-unless there is a REALLY good reason (like bombing down a mountain) keep segments around 5 seconds long to keep viewers from getting bored

-test out your setups in ahead of time - Go Pro cameras are great but basic and aiming them takes some practice

-plan as much in advance as you can, this will make editing less painful and the results better

-be sure to get and include establishing shots and closing shots

-dont be afraid to hand the camera to someone else for awhie, like when you're setting up in the transition area

-you can include still shots from your friends they took of you

-shoot from high, low, close, far, and anything else you can think of

-if you want to use the trick the folks who put together the Kona IM videos use, cheat: get shots in advance (day before or week before) of sunset, sunrise, fish under water, race flags, etc.

-edit mercilessly

-try to avoid repeating shots that are remarkably similar, viewers hate deja vu

-have fun with it

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!!

2012-02-06 6:47 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I got my 15 miler (key run workout for the week) in yesterday. Actually made a wrong turn in an unfamiliar neighborhood, got a little lost and ran 16.75. I was supposed to get in a two hour ride as well but some good stuff with my family and a super bowl party made that not happen. It is probably better that I didn't ride because my legs are a little beat up today. I am constantly amazed at the amount of punishment that the body can suck up. With 24 hours of easy stuff tomorrow will be just fine.

I actually spent almost three hours in the pool with my daughter doing an "intro to scuba" class yesterday. At first I was a little hesitant with the underwater breathing but as I got used to it, it was pretty darn fun. It was a whole new experience in the water. Not sure if I would pursue further training by myself but if the kids want to learn I would be up for it.

Hope you all had a great weekend.

Jason

2012-02-06 8:43 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

Be careful, scuba is as addictive as tri-ing, if not moreso. That's why your intro was free, same methodology drug dealers use to get you hooked

I've been a dive instructor for years, definitely a fun "sport", and great for families to do together since it's non-competitive.

2012-02-06 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4031149

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

wannabefaster - 2012-02-06 6:47 AM I got my 15 miler (key run workout for the week) in yesterday. Actually made a wrong turn in an unfamiliar neighborhood, got a little lost and ran 16.75. I was supposed to get in a two hour ride as well but some good stuff with my family and a super bowl party made that not happen. It is probably better that I didn't ride because my legs are a little beat up today. I am constantly amazed at the amount of punishment that the body can suck up. With 24 hours of easy stuff tomorrow will be just fine. I actually spent almost three hours in the pool with my daughter doing an "intro to scuba" class yesterday. At first I was a little hesitant with the underwater breathing but as I got used to it, it was pretty darn fun. It was a whole new experience in the water. Not sure if I would pursue further training by myself but if the kids want to learn I would be up for it. Hope you all had a great weekend. Jason

AND a 2 hour bike ride? Yikes, with Boston coming up I'm a little surprised to see that was in the schedule. How long/far do you plan on running before tapering for Boston?

2012-02-06 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4029279

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
marvintpa - 2012-02-04 10:42 AM

There are several keys to good video. A great deal depends on what you want to do with it and how much time you're willing to spend.

-multiple views are critical, which means if you're doing race video you want multiple cameras or are willing to stop and change where the camera is mounted

-when editing the clips together aim for variety

-unless there is a REALLY good reason (like bombing down a mountain) keep segments around 5 seconds long to keep viewers from getting bored

-test out your setups in ahead of time - Go Pro cameras are great but basic and aiming them takes some practice

-plan as much in advance as you can, this will make editing less painful and the results better

-be sure to get and include establishing shots and closing shots

-dont be afraid to hand the camera to someone else for awhie, like when you're setting up in the transition area

-you can include still shots from your friends they took of you

-shoot from high, low, close, far, and anything else you can think of

-if you want to use the trick the folks who put together the Kona IM videos use, cheat: get shots in advance (day before or week before) of sunset, sunrise, fish under water, race flags, etc.

-edit mercilessly

-try to avoid repeating shots that are remarkably similar, viewers hate deja vu

-have fun with it

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!!

Tom thanks for the advice, I am planning a lot of this right now and will take into account what you said here.

2012-02-06 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

So I took in my first athlete to coach this past week and I wrote out his first 2 weeks of prep yesterday. Really pumped about this opportunity and can't wait to see the results I am able to set him up for. This is a whole new experience even though I self-coached myself before. Coaching someone else and working with their goals/strengths/weaknesses and how they adapt is very different.

My plan is up for this week and below are my key workouts. My legs are finally recovered from that silly downhill run that I screwed up on Thursday. Took alot to hold back on my fartlek run yesterday, but I was able to hold back

W - Big Gear 70 minutes (Changing Positions)

TR - Swim: Pullset 2600

Sa - Bike: Tempo 2 hrs (Changing Cadence), Run: Transition Run 20 minutes

2012-02-06 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Everyone seems to be doing really well with their swimming and we have talked a lot on that topic. Let's make Feb a bike heavy month on discussion.

Questions on biking right now?

Favorite workouts?

My coach is very heavy on big gear workouts, cadence variety, and iso-leg riding it seems. I have done all of this before, but not too the extent he has it written in my plan. I am hoping this constant change in daily rides gives me some great benefit when I get on the roads hopefully next month.

2012-02-06 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4031473

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
bcagle25 - 2012-02-06 10:11 AM

wannabefaster - 2012-02-06 6:47 AM I got my 15 miler (key run workout for the week) in yesterday. Actually made a wrong turn in an unfamiliar neighborhood, got a little lost and ran 16.75. I was supposed to get in a two hour ride as well but some good stuff with my family and a super bowl party made that not happen. It is probably better that I didn't ride because my legs are a little beat up today. I am constantly amazed at the amount of punishment that the body can suck up. With 24 hours of easy stuff tomorrow will be just fine. I actually spent almost three hours in the pool with my daughter doing an "intro to scuba" class yesterday. At first I was a little hesitant with the underwater breathing but as I got used to it, it was pretty darn fun. It was a whole new experience in the water. Not sure if I would pursue further training by myself but if the kids want to learn I would be up for it. Hope you all had a great weekend. Jason

AND a 2 hour bike ride? Yikes, with Boston coming up I'm a little surprised to see that was in the schedule. How long/far do you plan on running before tapering for Boston?

That is part of the beauty of being a coached athlete. I don't think about the taper or the long run or anything else. My coach and I talk about the plan and the goals and then it shows up for me a week at a time. I just execute the plan and give him feedback on how it is going so he can adjust. I really have to trust that he is going to get me where I need to be.

The truth is that I want to have a great Boston Marathon and have a pretty lofty time goal but it is really just a stop on the way to triathlon glory The cardio work load of biking is an integral part of my Boston prep. I am a little nervous to admit how low the running mileage is in the ramp up to Boston but I am counting on the biking and swimming to supplement / complement the running. I have always (hah-in prep for my two previous marathons) ramped up to 50-70 miles/week. I will never get over 45 miles/week in this prep cycle. A recipe for disaster according to many but this plan is being written by my coach who is a low 2:40s marathoner so he may know what he is doing. We will see.... The interesting thing about yesterdays long run was that I started it on really tired legs. At mile 10 of the run I remember thinking, "this is exactly how my legs feel at mile 20-21 of the marathon." It really was a great simulation of the suffering at the end of 26.2. I concentrated on being smooth, turning the legs over and not slowing down. Although this was not a race pace run I was able to finish the second half faster than the first in spite of my leg misery.

Bike workouts:

Right now, 100% on the trainer. All paces dictated by power and based off of threshold or critical power (are these the same thing?). Lots and lots of short, very hard, intervals imbedded in long rides. The rides are slowly but surely getting longer. All winter I have been doing a bunch of hour or hour and 15 minute rides but now they are lengthening out to two plus hours. Even really long rides (5 hour + last year) have intervals throughout the ride. An example would be 5 minutes at 95% of threshold, 15 minutes at 85% of threshold, 30 minutes at 75% of threshold, 10 min easy spin and repeat x 5. There are NO long easy/steady rides in my training plan. Rarely do I get off the bike and not feel totally smashed. The goal is to hurt so much in training that the races feel easy by comparison.
2012-02-06 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4026452

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
jeslin - 2012-02-02 6:28 PMSorry for being MIA for so long - I've been going through big job changes and then was away over the weekend.  I start a new job with a startup on Monday which will be just over 90mins in commuting each way so workouts are about to get interesting.  So here's to sticking as close to my plan as possible!
Congrats on your new job!! That is a serious commute though! I'm sure you will mange getting your workouts in though, it will definately take some planning though!
2012-02-06 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4027491

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
bcagle25 - 2012-02-03 9:58 AM

Ben-I looked at these, fun to watch! I like it when there is so context to it, either by talking or text(where, what, how much, how hard, etc), so it's not just SBR, over and over. Also different camera angles and good music! Have fun with it! Glad your legs are feeling better!
2012-02-07 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE

My key workouts this week are:

Th-90 long bike (will be my 1st long bike indoors, after great weather that has allowed 1-2 rides outdoors each week, and now a foot of snow on the ground, I'll be doing this one inside)

Fri-Swim (speed day), wu:300 continuous. slowing increasing pace each 100. main:20x50, odds at RPE 4, evens at RPE 9. cd: 150 easy, hold form

Sun-10 mile long run, goal to get it done early in the am, so it's not hanging over my head all day

So, one observation I had after my 3 latest runs, is that a poor workout does not equate to poor fitness.  I'm always second-guessing myself and my fitness ability, but need to realize a bad day, is what it is and nothing more.  Sunday's 8-miler was in awful conditions.  We finally got some snow (after a rain), and the 1/4 mile switchback to the trail I was going to run on wasn't cleared at all-so trudge through the snow (so my shoes/socks are wet to start) to get to a mostly ice/slush covered trail, with some water puddles and snow and snow piles mixed in, and ducking under branches weighted down with snow, but my attitude was great and it was a fun run. Yesterday's 40 minute run was terrible, I wasn't tired when I started, but after a couple of laps, I was tired and sweaty and it felt so much harder than it should.  Then today I ran 3+ miles right after 60 minutes on the bike and it was a walk in the park.

Regarding favorite bike workouts...honestly, I've never done specific workouts on the bike.  Just get out and go, long or short, hard or easy, hilly, etc. and spin class, a little directionless.  So I'm new to the specific workout aspect of it, and looking forward to seeing what others like/find helpful.

Ali

2012-02-07 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4033462

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Omahabritt - 2012-02-07 9:05 AM

My key workouts this week are:

Th-90 long bike (will be my 1st long bike indoors, after great weather that has allowed 1-2 rides outdoors each week, and now a foot of snow on the ground, I'll be doing this one inside)

Fri-Swim (speed day), wu:300 continuous. slowing increasing pace each 100. main:20x50, odds at RPE 4, evens at RPE 9. cd: 150 easy, hold form

Sun-10 mile long run, goal to get it done early in the am, so it's not hanging over my head all day

So, one observation I had after my 3 latest runs, is that a poor workout does not equate to poor fitness.  I'm always second-guessing myself and my fitness ability, but need to realize a bad day, is what it is and nothing more.  Sunday's 8-miler was in awful conditions.  We finally got some snow (after a rain), and the 1/4 mile switchback to the trail I was going to run on wasn't cleared at all-so trudge through the snow (so my shoes/socks are wet to start) to get to a mostly ice/slush covered trail, with some water puddles and snow and snow piles mixed in, and ducking under branches weighted down with snow, but my attitude was great and it was a fun run. Yesterday's 40 minute run was terrible, I wasn't tired when I started, but after a couple of laps, I was tired and sweaty and it felt so much harder than it should.  Then today I ran 3+ miles right after 60 minutes on the bike and it was a walk in the park.

Regarding favorite bike workouts...honestly, I've never done specific workouts on the bike.  Just get out and go, long or short, hard or easy, hilly, etc. and spin class, a little directionless.  So I'm new to the specific workout aspect of it, and looking forward to seeing what others like/find helpful.

Ali

great point ali! I have learned to realize this over time as well. I have had more own share of worries about having a bad day with workouts, but in these instances its really important to look in the broad scheme of it all. We all have bad days, and some days our bodies are just not up for the challenge, but when you step back and look over the course of time, you get a much better indicator of your fitness. It just sucks when those bad days are race days.. i.e. Racine 70.3 2011.

2012-02-07 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I got into the wright room last night for the first time since almost high school...YIKES!!! that was ugly. I am not nearly as strong as I once was. On the positive side of it, I am interested to see how my time working on strength relates to my performance in racing, most notably on the bike. Maybe I will pull out a Craig Alexander type bike at IMWI this year.
2012-02-08 12:14 AM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

I feel like I need to hit the weights also, but I feel like I can not justify it while I am trying to build a base.

As far as the bike, I am with Ali. I just ride, hit some small hills so it works my heart rate up and down. Sunday's ride was great. I got my ISM saddle on and I am much happier. I had it too far back the first ride so was sliding all over the place. I moved it forward and it felt way better. 

I know I need to ride some hills. Being outside of Sacramento I am right on the edge of the Sierra foothills. I have been checking out some of the races this year and a most have some decent climbs. 

2012-02-08 9:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond

I too only ride my bike, nothing more specific other than long, slow and find as many hills as I can since my IM races have been hilly (IMCDA last year and IMLP this year).  My bike is improving with hrs in the saddle, but it's still my biggest limiter and therefore biggest opportunity for improvement.

What is the best way to find out if you have good, bad or neutral technique?  What is the best way to identify what your specific limiters are on the bike?

2012-02-09 12:05 AM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Another question I have is how much harder does everyone find trainer rides? I am loosing about 2.5 mph average vs riding outside. 
2012-02-09 7:46 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

That's a considerable amount of speed to give up.

What do you put it down to?

Perhaps the resistance you're using is too high to accurately simulate average outdoor conditions? (Not a bad thing)

Lack of wind? Motivational scenery? Sensation of exhilarating movement? Heat? (if you don't use fans) People to race? Cars to dodge?

2012-02-09 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4037473

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
marvintpa - 2012-02-09 5:46 AM

That's a considerable amount of speed to give up.

What do you put it down to?

Perhaps the resistance you're using is too high to accurately simulate average outdoor conditions? (Not a bad thing)

Lack of wind? Motivational scenery? Sensation of exhilarating movement? Heat? (if you don't use fans) People to race? Cars to dodge?

I am not sure but have a couple of thoughts.

The resistance is good, I checked that and lightened it up to the point that the wheel does not slip.

I have not been training with a heart monitor because the one I had quit working and I am undecided what I want to get next. So I have been using RPE. I think on the trainer I have a little lower heart rate but feel like I am working harder due to the lack of wind cooling me down. So I probably should use a fan.

Definitly motivational scenery plays a part. I ride on my own and try to avoid busy streets!

I guess overall it does not matter as long as when I hit the road I see signs of improvement.

For a 90 minute ride how much water does everyone carry? I just have one bottle on the down tube right now. That is not cutting it, especially on the trainer. What length of ride do you start to worry about bringing some sort of nutrition with you?

2012-02-09 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4037237

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
BMiller71 - 2012-02-09 1:05 AM

Another question I have is how much harder does everyone find trainer rides? I am loosing about 2.5 mph average vs riding outside. 

I don't think there is any correlation between speed on the trainer and speed outdoors. My trainer has variable resistance so I can adjust it so 22 mph on the trainer is an easy spin or 22 mph is a struggle just to hang on for 60 seconds with my heart coming out of my chest.

Trainer rides are more about effort and time. That is why people use other metrics than speed on the trainer---think power or heart rate or RPE. Yes, I feel better when I see that I am averaging some super high speed but then I remind myself that it just isn't real.

I record mileage for my trainer rides just so I can have a ball park idea of my annual mileage.
2012-02-12 12:55 AM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I had a decent bike ride today and am looking forward to a swim and bike ride tomorrow!
2012-02-12 6:04 AM

Regular
Apologies for being out of commission for a couple weeks.  Work has been "fun", and the workouts have been suffering.  Hopefully will get back on track this week.  At least I think I have my first tri for the year planned in early June... that is a start!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  

of 19