BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 2012 Group FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-01-24 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3950785

User image

Subject: RE: Shellback1998 2012 Group FULL

Not sure if this model is a good one or what, but Amazon had the Garmin 405 as one of their deals of the day

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Wireless-GPS-Enabled-Monitor/dp/B0011UNMIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327428685&sr=8-1

2012-01-24 12:13 PM

User image

Scott - is there a training program you recommend for newbies?  I have 21 weeks until my race, so if there is a training program you are more familiar with or know works well I am willing to switch up.

Thanks!  Christi

2012-01-24 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4008133

User image

I loved my new balance N4 pearl. It's on amazon for $70. I used it for just over a year and it broke 2 weeks ago, the screen stopped working. The repair guy at the mall couldn't fix it, so it's covered under their 2 year warranty. Just have to wait and see how long it takes to get a new one, but I would definetly recommend it.
2012-01-24 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4008133

User image

I loved my new balance N4 pearl. It's on amazon for $70. I used it for just over a year and it broke 2 weeks ago, the screen stopped working. The repair guy at the mall couldn't fix it, so it's covered under their 2 year warranty. Just have to wait and see how long it takes to get a new one, but I would definetly recommend it.

Sorry this double-posted for some reason and I can't seem to delete the extra one

Edited by swimsoft82 2012-01-24 12:15 PM
2012-01-24 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4008246

User image

Expert
iTri-d - 2012-01-24 1:12 PM

Not sure if this model is a good one or what, but Amazon had the Garmin 405 as one of their deals of the day

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Wireless-GPS-Enabled-Monitor/dp/B0011UNMIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327428685&sr=8-1

I also have the 405, but since it's a bezel type and it rains out, not very practical outside That's my opinion though

2012-01-24 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4008247

User image

Expert
iTri-d - 2012-01-24 1:13 PM

Scott - is there a training program you recommend for newbies?  I have 21 weeks until my race, so if there is a training program you are more familiar with or know works well I am willing to switch up.

Thanks!  Christi

What you have is fine, I just thought the plan would have had you swimming more than 4 lengths is all. 

2012-01-24 12:53 PM

User image

Dupont, Washington
I read the article on BT about finding your MHR and my question then is does your HRM allow you to set your own MHR or does it figure it for your age?
2012-01-24 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4008323

User image

Expert

padarinsmith - 2012-01-24 1:53 PM I read the article on BT about finding your MHR and my question then is does your HRM allow you to set your own MHR or does it figure it for your age?

I know both my polar and my garmins, I am allowed to set my particular zones... So at the end when I upload, I know exactly how long I was in each zone... 

2012-01-24 1:03 PM

i'll probably get the garmin 310xt.  I'd like something water proof as I'd like to time my swims and be able to bike / run in the rain without any worries.  I'd also like something that can track cadence for my runs and bikes because I'm pretty sure i'm a pedal pounder and i'd like that to change.
2012-01-24 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4008350

User image

Expert

DropSquad - 2012-01-24 2:03 PM i'll probably get the garmin 310xt.  I'd like something water proof as I'd like to time my swims and be able to bike / run in the rain without any worries.  I'd also like something that can track cadence for my runs and bikes because I'm pretty sure i'm a pedal pounder and i'd like that to change.

Well good idea, I have the 310xt and love it. The only thing good for swim is time though Cadence and Power, also can be used with the garmin. You need to buy the Footpod for the cadence on the run though.  I think it's like 50 something...  If you don't buy a power meter, you'll need to get a cadence sensor for the bike as well All great data that you can start analyzing. 

2012-01-24 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4008358

User image

shellback1998 - 2012-01-24 2:05 PM

Well good idea, I have the 310xt and love it.

Do you have an additional fixed computer on the bike?  Do you exclusively use the Garmin?  I am trying to decide which route to go, but the 310 is out of my budget in the near term after having bought a new bike.  I was thinking something that would provide a current speed would be good enough (and cheap enough) in the near term.

Chris

2012-01-24 2:48 PM

User image

Silly for some, but exciting for me!  The swim cap I ordered arrived!!  No more chlorine hair everyday!!!  YIPPEE! *grin*

2012-01-24 2:49 PM

User image

Chris, thank you so much for your experience with swimming. It was great to hear that Swim could become my BEST/FAVORITE of the 3 disciplines *Grin*  For now, I will bask in the happiness of receiving my swimming cap and will look forward to trying it out on Thursday Morning!
2012-01-24 4:35 PM
in reply to: #4008632

User image

iTri-d - 2012-01-24 3:49 PM Chris, thank you so much for your experience with swimming. It was great to hear that Swim could become my BEST/FAVORITE of the 3 disciplines *Grin*  For now, I will bask in the happiness of receiving my swimming cap and will look forward to trying it out on Thursday Morning!

You can do it.  Before you do your tri, you should see if you can join up with a tri group in your area and participate in an open water swim with them (when the weather warms up, of course).  Swimming in the open water is different the swimming the pool and you should do it a few times prior to your tri to get over any fears you have.  While I suck at all three sports in a tri (that, by the way, is my definition of me as a triathlete - I get to be lousy in 3 sports), I always thought swimming would be the easiest and least stressful for me.  But when I started swimming in my first tri, I was tired way too early - I think it was nerves - eventually I relaxed and swam on.  But I wished I did some open water swimming prior to that tri and I plan on participating with my local tri club in open water swims when they start them up this season.

2012-01-24 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4003221

Minneapolis , Minnesota
swimsoft82 - 2012-01-22 11:11 AM

Ok this is an awkward question, but I need to ask somewhere.

What do larger chested women do for tri-suits? I have to be very particular about what running bra I use or I chafe so much I bleed through my shirt (even with enormous amounts of body glide). I haven't seen a single Tri-top (or swimsuit) that even comes close to enough support. Is it common to have to change to a sports bra after the swim?

I have the same challenges there are a few on the market to pick from. Danskin and Junoia both sell one piece women's tri suits that have ample room in the bust. I still have to wear a sports bra underneath for enough support. I opted to wear a sports bra, tri-top and bike shorts under my wetsuit , after the swim I just got out of the wetsuit hopped on my bike and took off. You dry off pretty quick there is really no where to change into your sports bra in the transition areas. Champion makes a good under wire sports bra that I found comfortable and didn’t have issues with chaffing. Hope that helps !

2012-01-24 9:11 PM

User image

Anyone have Eczema or dry skin and have solutions to pool water issues?  Only 3 days in the pool and already new patches on my hands of Eczema (mine is usually contained to my legs and ear canals).

What does one do if their skin is very dry and then they are spending this much time in water? I was thinking of putting lotion on BEFORE entering the pool as a kind of protector, but not sure that would work.

Any advice? 

2012-01-24 9:19 PM

Minneapolis , Minnesota

After lurking in the back ground of the group just reading eveyone's posts I thought it was time I joined in. I have been hitting the gym regularly the past two weeks most of my workouts are on the treadmill. Things ae slowly improving I did find however the my left knee is still a little weak and tends to start to buckle when I get tired, it was damaged during a bike accident where I tore both the PCL and ACL about 18 mos. ago. I end up doing more walking then running. I start my swim workouts this weekend, my first triathlon is in April.  I am excited to read the posts from those who are just starting out doing triathlons after a three year break I feel like a newbie myself !

2012-01-24 9:39 PM

User image

Hi, I have a question for you seasoned triathletes. I haven't done a tri since summer 2010. I have still been running and biking since then. Just got back into the pool a couple of weeks ago. I am planning on doing a couple of sprints this spring/summer. When I try to follow the beginner sprint plans on BT, they are too easy during the beginning weeks. Any thoughts as to how I should alter the plans? Thanks in advance for your help.

2012-01-24 9:40 PM

New user

Staten island

Hi guys,

sorry for the late update on my personnal info:  Married, with 2 kids, one 2 1/2 and the other 9 months.  Currently live in Staten Island NY. 

how i got involved in tris..my brother in law, an endurance athlete, who lives in miami and does marathons,sprints olys etc, participated in his third full ironman at lake placid this year.  The whole family about 30 of us rented a house and got tshirts made up to wear when we cheered him on.  From the begining gun of the swim to the finish i was first amazed at the athletes that people do these crazy races and these athletes come in all shapes and sizes.  I was expecting cut chiselled athletes but i was wrong, anyone can do one if they train properly.  Also to see everyone cheering on strangers was a real special experience.  When we got home i was so inspired by his finish and the whole tri experience that he suggested i try a mini sprint.  I signed up for one in September and trained using tp software.  I finished the tri in a time i trained for, enjoyed the experience and knew if i wanted to get serious i have a lot of work to do.  So i hired a tri coach who gives me a weekly workout, recieved swim lessons and bought a giant road bike.  I have been training since late October and i love it.  Lost about 10 lbs, but my body shape has really changed from all the different workouts.  Planned out my upcoming season with one race a month.  March a central park dualthon, april 5k, may red bank sprint, june lavaman sprint, july a oly, august short tri and sept/october either a olympic or 70.3, but we will decide in July about the 70.3 to see the progress i have made.

For now everything is going well, just looking to learn and interact with other people about triathalons. 

My first question is nutrition---do you recommend light muscle milk for pre workout/recovery or do not recommend at all????

2012-01-24 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4009414

User image

Hi Gigi,

I'm in the same boat minus the injury! I did my first triathlon in 2010. Took off a year and would like to do a couple this spring/summer. I've been spinning for the past year, running a bit (my downfall is running) and just started back in the pool. My first tri is in June. I have a 4 mile run scheduled for April. Good luck to you!

Keiren (Kaydee)

2012-01-24 9:47 PM
in reply to: #4009388

User image

GiGi_50 - 2012-01-24 9:03 PM

What do larger chested women do for tri-suits? I have to be very particular about what running bra I use or I chafe so much I bleed through my shirt (even with enormous amounts of body glide). I haven't seen a single Tri-top (or swimsuit) that even comes close to enough support. Is it common to have to change to a sports bra after the swim?

I have the same challenges there are a few on the market to pick from. Danskin and Junoia both sell one piece women's tri suits that have ample room in the bust. I still have to wear a sports bra underneath for enough support. I opted to wear a sports bra, tri-top and bike shorts under my wetsuit , after the swim I just got out of the wetsuit hopped on my bike and took off. You dry off pretty quick there is really no where to change into your sports bra in the transition areas. Champion makes a good under wire sports bra that I found comfortable and didn’t have issues with chaffing. Hope that helps !

I'm in the same boat. For my races I wore a basic tri top with a sports bra plus tri shorts. Swam in it, Biked in it and ran in it. Support was fine. I couldn't afford a wetsuit but was lucky it wasn't needed in my races.

2012-01-25 5:14 AM
in reply to: #4009469

User image

Expert
kaydee - 2012-01-24 10:47 PM
GiGi_50 - 2012-01-24 9:03 PM

I'm in the same boat. For my races I wore a basic tri top with a sports bra plus tri shorts. Swam in it, Biked in it and ran in it. Support was fine. I couldn't afford a wetsuit but was lucky it wasn't needed in my races.

Just a reminder, as being part of BT, They have an awesome discount to Xterra Wetsuits, look for the coupon code for them.  Some races require wetsuits, however that's based all on the temperature of the water. Most of you are in warmer climates as well. But for the woman, with larger Bust... I've got responses back from some of the ladies on my Triathlon team. They all wear a singlet, but all wear a sports bra under that. The things you ladies have to deal with are remarkable. Hope that helps... 

2012-01-25 5:16 AM
in reply to: #4009449

User image

Expert
kaydee - 2012-01-24 10:39 PM

Hi, I have a question for you seasoned triathletes. I haven't done a tri since summer 2010. I have still been running and biking since then. Just got back into the pool a couple of weeks ago. I am planning on doing a couple of sprints this spring/summer. When I try to follow the beginner sprint plans on BT, they are too easy during the beginning weeks. Any thoughts as to how I should alter the plans? Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome back Keireen. How far is your swim again? Have you joined a local masters swim class?  Swimming is great, and really doesn't have that big of impact on your legs as it does with your lats and shoulders, so in my opinion feel free to swim more. However, I'd look into joining a masters swim class. The volume you put in those days will make be more than adequate for your distance in your race. 

2012-01-25 5:22 AM
in reply to: #4009454

User image

Expert
squid61283 - 2012-01-24 10:40 PM

Hi guys,

sorry for the late update on my personnal info:  Married, with 2 kids, one 2 1/2 and the other 9 months.  Currently live in Staten Island NY. 

how i got involved in tris..my brother in law, an endurance athlete, who lives in miami and does marathons,sprints olys etc, participated in his third full ironman at lake placid this year.  The whole family about 30 of us rented a house and got tshirts made up to wear when we cheered him on.  From the begining gun of the swim to the finish i was first amazed at the athletes that people do these crazy races and these athletes come in all shapes and sizes.  I was expecting cut chiselled athletes but i was wrong, anyone can do one if they train properly.  Also to see everyone cheering on strangers was a real special experience.  When we got home i was so inspired by his finish and the whole tri experience that he suggested i try a mini sprint.  I signed up for one in September and trained using tp software.  I finished the tri in a time i trained for, enjoyed the experience and knew if i wanted to get serious i have a lot of work to do.  So i hired a tri coach who gives me a weekly workout, recieved swim lessons and bought a giant road bike.  I have been training since late October and i love it.  Lost about 10 lbs, but my body shape has really changed from all the different workouts.  Planned out my upcoming season with one race a month.  March a central park dualthon, april 5k, may red bank sprint, june lavaman sprint, july a oly, august short tri and sept/october either a olympic or 70.3, but we will decide in July about the 70.3 to see the progress i have made.

For now everything is going well, just looking to learn and interact with other people about triathalons. 

My first question is nutrition---do you recommend light muscle milk for pre workout/recovery or do not recommend at all????

For recovery, I use Endurox, (Fruit Punch) or get this... Chocolate milk, Skim milk though...(Posted earlier about this)  The best part of my races are while driving home, I find a Wendy's and have a chocolate frosty ... I never had muscle milk so can't elaborate on that. My triathlon team uses Mix1, however, I just can't get an acquired test for it. ... There are guidelines though with recovery drinks, normally anything less than an hour you don't need a recovery drink, but the amount you need after an hour increases.

2012-01-25 5:26 AM
in reply to: #4009400

User image

Expert
iTri-d - 2012-01-24 10:11 PM

Anyone have Eczema or dry skin and have solutions to pool water issues?  Only 3 days in the pool and already new patches on my hands of Eczema (mine is usually contained to my legs and ear canals).

What does one do if their skin is very dry and then they are spending this much time in water? I was thinking of putting lotion on BEFORE entering the pool as a kind of protector, but not sure that would work.

Any advice? 

I don't have EcZema, but have found this 

Dr. Mark Boguniewicz, a professor of of allergy-immunology at the National Jewish Medical and Research Center in Colorado, states that people with eczema should not avoid swimming. They simply need to bathe or shower shortly after leaving chlorinated pools and apply a moisturizing lotion afterward.

Eczema sufferers should wear sunscreen when swimming at the beach or in outdoor pools. Dr. Boguniewicz warns that some sun blocking products irritate eczema. He recommends using sunscreen made especially for the face because it is usually mild and less likely to irritate sensitive skin.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/224606-eczema-swimming/#ixzz1kT6CkgUW

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 2012 Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 23