BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2012-06-12 8:39 PM
in reply to: #4258721

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE
Jenheaslip - 2012-06-12 7:35 PM

mcgilmartin - 2012-06-09 9:25 PM Jen, that's an awesome experience!  I just sent her a tweet saying thanks for you

Thanks for that! Have you met her? I'm probably the only one who doesn't know her name LOL

Actually I only knew her name- never met her or anything.  The thing I love about this sport is the fact that amateurs like you and I can train with the pros, and they (in general) treat us like we are equals.  I remember meeting Chrissy Wellington @ Ironman Boulder, and she could not have been nicer to me.  She took pictures with all my friends and signed autographs like she was just a regular person and not a World Champion.  So cool

2012-06-12 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4258723

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Jenheaslip - 2012-06-12 7:36 PM

Keep the details coming! As someone who hasn't run a half yet, I'd love to hear how training for a marathon goes.

mcgilmartin - 2012-06-09 9:53 PM

So for those of you that don't know, I'm running the Chicago Marathon in October.  I just completed my first week of training, and I'm cautiously optimistic that it's going to be a lot easier than training for a triathlon.  First week consisted of 5 training days, 3 and 4 mile runs at a Z1/Z2 pace, then a long run of 6 miles.  One strength session and one crosstraining session.  I opted for swimming as my cross-sport.  (Imagine that!)  Next week the workouts are almost the same, but the Saturday long run will be boosted to 7 miles.  Still nothing too scary yet.  I'll keep everyone updated on my progress (I keep my training log updated too).

Matt

13.1 training is relatively easy, and it's a whole lot of fun.  I've done 6 halves, and each time I enjoy it even more.

2012-06-12 9:48 PM
in reply to: #4256713

mcgilmartin - 2012-06-11 8:50 PM April- see any good fights at the gym lately?  

Ha!! I need to explain to the group. . . I was working out the other day and saw this older (OLDER)  man doing some wild crazy crap on the lat pull down machine-like almost could break the machine and his shoulders -kind of stuff.  Another OLDER man walked over to him (because none of the trainers would say anything to him), and basically told him to stop, that he was going to hurt himself and hurt somebody else.  Well, the second dude didnt' like that at all-stood up and they started getting in each others faces, blowing up their chest (like they were 20 somethings) and getting ready to THROW DOWN.  I could NOT believe my eyes.  They were both 70+ years old, and  the guy who told the man to stop announced that he was 72 and had been working out his "whole life" and something something something. . . they were actually pushing on each other and one of them kept saying "come on come on" trying to get him to hit him.  A "friend" was trying to separate them, couldn't get them separated, and finally one of the trainers came inbetween them and separated them and followed one of them around for awhile.   

I mean, 70's?!?!   I really didn't know if I should be apalled, laughing, getting out the popcorn or what. 

ANYWAY.   MATT-I  have two more triathlons on my hit list this year, a super sprint Aug 18 (200mswim, 5mbike, 1.25mile run), and a sprint Sept 1st (200mswim, 14milebike, 3.1mile run).   I also am doing a 3.1 mud run Sept 22 with obstacle courses.  I do dislike running, but I never got to do my half marathon, and we have a "haunted half" marathon late October in my hometown. I am considering doing it (since I had trained once a few years ago and never got to do it).   Considering your previous post, I'm wondering how you train for triathlons AND running-esp a marathon.  Training for a HM is a long time for me to suffer the boring most tedious part of my workouts, but the HM milestone is  nagging me.  In your opinion, If I were running only 5 miles max in one session (not in the whole week) at the first of September, is 13.1 in less than 2 months possible or safe?  During those two months I would be able to focus more on running. . .

2012-06-12 9:50 PM
in reply to: #4254480

mcgilmartin - 2012-06-10 8:35 PM And let me just say to everyone how much fun it's been to watch you all accomplish your goals over the year.  I think this site is worth it's weight in gold, and the satisfaction I get from seeing all of you become triathletes is pretty awesome!

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO LISTEN TO US, GIVE US ADVICE, ANSWER OUR QUESTIONS AND HEAR OUR COMPLAINTS. Cool

2012-06-12 10:39 PM
in reply to: #4258804

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
newbie99 - 2012-06-12 8:50 PM

mcgilmartin - 2012-06-10 8:35 PM And let me just say to everyone how much fun it's been to watch you all accomplish your goals over the year.  I think this site is worth it's weight in gold, and the satisfaction I get from seeing all of you become triathletes is pretty awesome!

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO LISTEN TO US, GIVE US ADVICE, ANSWER OUR QUESTIONS AND HEAR OUR COMPLAINTS. Cool

X2!
2012-06-13 4:41 PM
in reply to: #4123663

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Looks like Lance Armstrong might finally be caught.  Interesting that WTC will have to ban him too:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/lance-armstrong-faces-fresh-doping-charges-from-usada/2012/06/13/gJQAefnPaV_story.html

2012-06-13 5:08 PM
in reply to: #4260358

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Damn, I was hoping to beat him one day! Smile

mcgilmartin - 2012-06-12 5:41 PM

Looks like Lance Armstrong might finally be caught.  Interesting that WTC will have to ban him too:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/lance-armstrong-faces-fresh-doping-charges-from-usada/2012/06/13/gJQAefnPaV_story.html

2012-06-13 5:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I was reading some of the other forums about this. Lots of fans and haters chiming in. I just hope they don't strip his professional status since he's in my age group! Laughing
2012-06-14 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4258803

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Which mud run are you doing? Those things are a blast!

newbie99 - 2012-06-11 10:48 PM

mcgilmartin - 2012-06-11 8:50 PM April- see any good fights at the gym lately?  

Ha!! I need to explain to the group. . . I was working out the other day and saw this older (OLDER)  man doing some wild crazy crap on the lat pull down machine-like almost could break the machine and his shoulders -kind of stuff.  Another OLDER man walked over to him (because none of the trainers would say anything to him), and basically told him to stop, that he was going to hurt himself and hurt somebody else.  Well, the second dude didnt' like that at all-stood up and they started getting in each others faces, blowing up their chest (like they were 20 somethings) and getting ready to THROW DOWN.  I could NOT believe my eyes.  They were both 70+ years old, and  the guy who told the man to stop announced that he was 72 and had been working out his "whole life" and something something something. . . they were actually pushing on each other and one of them kept saying "come on come on" trying to get him to hit him.  A "friend" was trying to separate them, couldn't get them separated, and finally one of the trainers came inbetween them and separated them and followed one of them around for awhile.   

I mean, 70's?!?!   I really didn't know if I should be apalled, laughing, getting out the popcorn or what. 

ANYWAY.   MATT-I  have two more triathlons on my hit list this year, a super sprint Aug 18 (200mswim, 5mbike, 1.25mile run), and a sprint Sept 1st (200mswim, 14milebike, 3.1mile run).   I also am doing a 3.1 mud run Sept 22 with obstacle courses.  I do dislike running, but I never got to do my half marathon, and we have a "haunted half" marathon late October in my hometown. I am considering doing it (since I had trained once a few years ago and never got to do it).   Considering your previous post, I'm wondering how you train for triathlons AND running-esp a marathon.  Training for a HM is a long time for me to suffer the boring most tedious part of my workouts, but the HM milestone is  nagging me.  In your opinion, If I were running only 5 miles max in one session (not in the whole week) at the first of September, is 13.1 in less than 2 months possible or safe?  During those two months I would be able to focus more on running. . .

2012-06-14 3:08 PM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Finally getting back into it. Had a good ride today after some schooling last night from the husband. He sat down with me and showed and explained the gears, what goes with what, and showed me how to put the chain back on and take the wheels off. I have also been doing a lot of reading to learn the parts of the bike and how to use the gears, because my new pro racer friend was kind enough to tell me halfway up a huge hill that I was in the hardest gear in the back and I had to admit in-between gulps of air that I had no idea how to shift out of it. Anyway…

So Thursday is my brick day and my goal was to work on gears and shifting. I’ve had a hard time getting back into it this week and wasn’t sure what to expect. For some reason changing from the 50meter indoor pool to the 100 meter outdoor pool was really hard Tuesday. But my bike today went very well. I think I’m figuring the gears out. It’s getting easier anyway. And for today’s 12-mile ride I was at 14.5 mph, up from 14mph, probably thanks to the gearing. That was a nice surprise! Then I broke 26mins. for the first time ever on the 5k run after the bike. 26:58, but hey, it counts. Considering my first 5k last May was 32-plus minutes, I’ll take it.

Hopefully I am going to do my first tri July 7. It’s a “mini-sprint” - 400m in the pool, 10mile bike and 5k. Getting excited!

2012-06-15 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4262043

Jenheaslip - 2012-06-14 2:53 PM

It's  Habitat for Humanity,a  fundraiser.  I just found out that it's the SAME day as one of the sprint triathlons I wanted to do.  The thought crossed my mind to do both in one day, but they do start an hour within each other, and are about an hour and a half away from each other. LOL.  I guess not.  (Crazy idea anyway, but I think I'm turning crazy).  I already told people i wanted to be on a team and they only do teams of 5, so I think I'm going to have to do the mud run and skip out on the triathlon although I would REALLY rather do the triathlon.  

HOWEVER, If I do the mud run, I would have two more weeks to train for the HM.  Just haven't decided if I want to do it or not.  I'm having wayyyy too much fun training swim, bike, run.

BTW: That's good time for a 5k!  I feel so slow.  My natural pace is just under 10min/mile, and I am comfortable there. LOLOL   I can't wait to hear your race report I know you're going to do great!!

2012-06-16 10:30 AM

User image

Round Rock

Alright the weekend is here. I have my "A" Race of the year tomorrow. A sprint triathlon at Lake Pflugerville (about 15 minutes from my house). Going to go and scope out the bike coarse today as well as check out the OWS and how the bouy's are arranged.

Getting excited. Goal: #1 Complete the coarse; Goal #2 improve times from last race - especially T1, T2 as well as run. Oh Heck lets just do better all around!

Have a great weekend all ~ will let you know how it goes.

Bryan

2012-06-16 3:52 PM

User image

Sounds like everyone is having a great season! Unfortunately, my training has been non-existant due to getting ready for this move. All of our bikes are currently at the shop getting broken down and packed for shipment. I've been staying up late with my husband trying to go through EVERYTHING we own deciding if it is going to Airman's Attic (Air Force version of Goodwill), trash, storage, household goods shipment, unaccompanied baggage or in our carry-on. My house has been turned upside down and I am ready for it all to be over!

My co-workers threw me a little going away luncheon! I totally didn't expect it - it was a nice surprise. After we ate, my commander presented me a nice framed lithograph of the hospital I work in with a picture of some of my co-workers and a little side note that says "Running is cheaper than therapy" and another one with the Sufferlandria Flag and "IWBMATTKYT" (if you don't know what that means just google the Sufferfest videos and read about it there). They also gave me some cep compression socks and a Rudy Project Wingspan Aero helmet! So many people in my squadron signed my helmet that the last few people were having trouble finding a spot to sign! I was so excited and totally caught off guard! I'm not sure that I want to wear the helmet now...

Well, let me go get some more stuff done around the house. My next goal is to go through our 4 bookcases and decide what's coming with us and what's going into storage. After that I might go get some frozen yogurt with the kids!

PS Hope all you Dads have a great weekend!!

2012-06-16 6:11 PM

User image

New user
Seattle
Subject: 1st Race Report Ever
I finished the Dillettante sprint triathlon today. I had the unique pleasure of being helped through the process by the Seattle Luna Chix. It was a gray and drizzled Seattle day...perfect race weather. It felt like a regular training morning. I slept well but didn't feel an urgency associated with a race event. Maybe good, maybe bad. Got to the race site and thanks to the Luna Chix, it felt like a party!The ows continues to challenge me. I had been in this lake once before and it was so cold I couldn't get enough breaths consecutively to really get going. Today it was warmer and I did better but I didn't realize the increased effort in the suit or in the cold. Must practice this one. It was frustrating after all the good progress I felt I had made in the pool the last several months. 400 yd swim.The bike. Love, love, love my bike. Definitely getting better and stronger and need to love, love, love hills! Enough said.The run...ahem, the jog. Only walked for about 10 paces twice and bettered my time from my only other race, a 5k. Still slow. But steady.I had a great time. It can only get better from here!Hope you all are having a great weekend too.
2012-06-16 9:48 PM
in reply to: #4265098

User image

Round Rock
Subject: RE: 1st Race Report Ever

Don't be down on yourself ~ you finished! Way to go and great job. We are all learning

Bryan

melindacumming - 2012-06-16 6:11 PM I finished the Dillettante sprint triathlon today. I had the unique pleasure of being helped through the process by the Seattle Luna Chix. It was a gray and drizzled Seattle day...perfect race weather. It felt like a regular training morning. I slept well but didn't feel an urgency associated with a race event. Maybe good, maybe bad. Got to the race site and thanks to the Luna Chix, it felt like a party!The ows continues to challenge me. I had been in this lake once before and it was so cold I couldn't get enough breaths consecutively to really get going. Today it was warmer and I did better but I didn't realize the increased effort in the suit or in the cold. Must practice this one. It was frustrating after all the good progress I felt I had made in the pool the last several months. 400 yd swim.The bike. Love, love, love my bike. Definitely getting better and stronger and need to love, love, love hills! Enough said.The run...ahem, the jog. Only walked for about 10 paces twice and bettered my time from my only other race, a 5k. Still slow. But steady.I had a great time. It can only get better from here!Hope you all are having a great weekend too.

2012-06-16 9:49 PM
in reply to: #4265004

User image

Round Rock

Thank you and your family for serving our nation! I appreciate the sacrifice you are making to keep all of us free!

Bryan

mmez - 2012-06-16 3:52 PM

Sounds like everyone is having a great season! Unfortunately, my training has been non-existant due to getting ready for this move. All of our bikes are currently at the shop getting broken down and packed for shipment. I've been staying up late with my husband trying to go through EVERYTHING we own deciding if it is going to Airman's Attic (Air Force version of Goodwill), trash, storage, household goods shipment, unaccompanied baggage or in our carry-on. My house has been turned upside down and I am ready for it all to be over!

My co-workers threw me a little going away luncheon! I totally didn't expect it - it was a nice surprise. After we ate, my commander presented me a nice framed lithograph of the hospital I work in with a picture of some of my co-workers and a little side note that says "Running is cheaper than therapy" and another one with the Sufferlandria Flag and "IWBMATTKYT" (if you don't know what that means just google the Sufferfest videos and read about it there). They also gave me some cep compression socks and a Rudy Project Wingspan Aero helmet! So many people in my squadron signed my helmet that the last few people were having trouble finding a spot to sign! I was so excited and totally caught off guard! I'm not sure that I want to wear the helmet now...

Well, let me go get some more stuff done around the house. My next goal is to go through our 4 bookcases and decide what's coming with us and what's going into storage. After that I might go get some frozen yogurt with the kids!

2012-06-17 9:33 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

melindacumming - 2012-06-16 5:11 PM I finished the Dillettante sprint triathlon today. I had the unique pleasure of being helped through the process by the Seattle Luna Chix. It was a gray and drizzled Seattle day...perfect race weather. It felt like a regular training morning. I slept well but didn't feel an urgency associated with a race event. Maybe good, maybe bad. Got to the race site and thanks to the Luna Chix, it felt like a party!The ows continues to challenge me. I had been in this lake once before and it was so cold I couldn't get enough breaths consecutively to really get going. Today it was warmer and I did better but I didn't realize the increased effort in the suit or in the cold. Must practice this one. It was frustrating after all the good progress I felt I had made in the pool the last several months. 400 yd swim.The bike. Love, love, love my bike. Definitely getting better and stronger and need to love, love, love hills! Enough said.The run...ahem, the jog. Only walked for about 10 paces twice and bettered my time from my only other race, a 5k. Still slow. But steady.I had a great time. It can only get better from here!Hope you all are having a great weekend too.

Melinda, who cares if you were slow- you accomplished your goal you set out to accomplish back in December!!!  I could not be more proud of you.  Congratulations!!

2012-06-17 9:34 PM
in reply to: #4265004

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
mmez - 2012-06-16 2:52 PM

Mariah, I think you accomplished more before June 1 than most people will do in an entire full season

2012-06-18 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4265299

User image

New user
Seattle
Thanks! Today I'm feeling pretty good about the whole thing. I'm starting to plan my training for the Danskin in August. Who knows what can happen in another two months! Thanks again, m.
2012-06-18 8:01 PM

User image

Round Rock
Has anyone used:

Go to "Strength Training for Triathletes" page

As a guide to strength conditioning to help your performance?

Thanks,
Bryan
2012-06-18 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4268173

katartizo - 2012-06-18 8:01 PM
Has anyone used:

Go to

Thanks,
Bryan

I haven't read it, but check the authors credentials.  If it's someone who has full knowledge of strength AND endurance training (not just certifications and a few competitions under his belt), it's probably ok.  As a former powerlifter (a few years ago), I have to admit I have seen some really BAD advice on the web about strength training for triathletes.  It's never as easy as "follow this plan". . .

2012-06-18 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4264341

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

That's too bad that it's the same day. That's a sign of an addict, turning crazy and trying to do two races in one day! Mud runs are a lot of fun though, you might find that you really like it. Like a free facial, with some running involved. I've been disappointed several times in the last few months, seems like every time I learn about a cool race it's on a weekend with a bunch of others I want to do.Why is that?!

My 5K time has really improved since I added the biking. That and I never have time to run more than 6-8 miles at a time so I'm getting better at it lol. Good luck with the HM, that's my next goal, sounds like fun!

newbie99 - 2012-06-14 8:42 PM
Jenheaslip - 2012-06-14 2:53 PM

It's  Habitat for Humanity,a  fundraiser.  I just found out that it's the SAME day as one of the sprint triathlons I wanted to do.  The thought crossed my mind to do both in one day, but they do start an hour within each other, and are about an hour and a half away from each other. LOL.  I guess not.  (Crazy idea anyway, but I think I'm turning crazy).  I already told people i wanted to be on a team and they only do teams of 5, so I think I'm going to have to do the mud run and skip out on the triathlon although I would REALLY rather do the triathlon.  

HOWEVER, If I do the mud run, I would have two more weeks to train for the HM.  Just haven't decided if I want to do it or not.  I'm having wayyyy too much fun training swim, bike, run.

BTW: That's good time for a 5k!  I feel so slow.  My natural pace is just under 10min/mile, and I am comfortable there. LOLOL   I can't wait to hear your race report I know you're going to do great!!

2012-06-18 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4264766

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

How did it go? I love race reports Laughing

katartizo - 2012-06-15 11:30 AM

Alright the weekend is here. I have my "A" Race of the year tomorrow. A sprint triathlon at Lake Pflugerville (about 15 minutes from my house). Going to go and scope out the bike coarse today as well as check out the OWS and how the bouy's are arranged.

Getting excited. Goal: #1 Complete the coarse; Goal #2 improve times from last race - especially T1, T2 as well as run. Oh Heck lets just do better all around!

Have a great weekend all ~ will let you know how it goes.

Bryan

2012-06-18 9:46 PM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Melinda - You had fun, that's the best part! Those OWS are hard, with the suit and the cold and everything. I'm impressed by anyone who can get through it in a race!

Mariah - good luck with the rest of the move and those are some awesome co-workers!

melindacumming - 2012-06-15 7:11 PM I finished the Dillettante sprint triathlon today. I had the unique pleasure of being helped through the process by the Seattle Luna Chix. It was a gray and drizzled Seattle day...perfect race weather. It felt like a regular training morning. I slept well but didn't feel an urgency associated with a race event. Maybe good, maybe bad. Got to the race site and thanks to the Luna Chix, it felt like a party!The ows continues to challenge me. I had been in this lake once before and it was so cold I couldn't get enough breaths consecutively to really get going. Today it was warmer and I did better but I didn't realize the increased effort in the suit or in the cold. Must practice this one. It was frustrating after all the good progress I felt I had made in the pool the last several months. 400 yd swim.The bike. Love, love, love my bike. Definitely getting better and stronger and need to love, love, love hills! Enough said.The run...ahem, the jog. Only walked for about 10 paces twice and bettered my time from my only other race, a 5k. Still slow. But steady.I had a great time. It can only get better from here!Hope you all are having a great weekend too.

2012-06-18 9:54 PM
in reply to: #4268310

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
newbie99 - 2012-06-18 8:24 PM
katartizo - 2012-06-18 8:01 PM
Has anyone used:

Go to

Thanks,
Bryan

I haven't read it, but check the authors credentials.  If it's someone who has full knowledge of strength AND endurance training (not just certifications and a few competitions under his belt), it's probably ok.  As a former powerlifter (a few years ago), I have to admit I have seen some really BAD advice on the web about strength training for triathletes.  It's never as easy as "follow this plan". . .

The reviews on Amazon are generally pretty good.. I find that all 5-star ratings are suspect, this one had a pretty wide-ranging group of opinions.  It's also put out by Velo Press, which IMHO is the best publishing house for triathlon and cycling books.  Give it a read and let us know what you think.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  

of 25