General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-07-31 5:07 PM
in reply to: #4306637

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Subject: RE: Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group

There is a Country Western song out there that I really like, probably because I can relate to it SO often.  It's titled "What Was I Thinking?"

First, I want to thank all who gave their advice on my first bike selection.  Even if I didn't listen to most of those folks.  I got a couple of responses that basically said, "Wallet first, test ride second, fit later."   These people expressed the same idea I had, I'm too new at this to know diddly about what "feels" right.  And second I prefer to keep my business local, so I have decided to cultivate a relationship with the closest LBS.

I saddled up today and rode 7.25 miles to the shop, just in time for opening at 11 am.  That took 43 minutes, part of which included stopping to put the chain back on.  Sure enough, it jumped the inner ring just as I had feared.  That's why I haven't done any hill work to date.

First ride - 7.25 miles - 43m 26s  Bear in mind, my longest ride to date is the last two weeks at 9 miles.

Not only did Devin not assemble the bike last week, he wasn't at the shop either.  He was stuck in traffic returning from the shore.  So I talked to Dan, the grandfather/owner.  I tried a ride on the Specialized Tricross bike.  I didn't care for the thumb shifting on the Sora components, and they felt clunky to me.  they slammed into gear, they didn't ease into gear.  I would not have believed I could tell such things.

Next I test rode a Bianchi Forza, bright red (maybe orange?).  It has Shimano Tiagra throughout.  It was decidedly better than the Tricross, and it was marked down from $1250 to $900.  Since I had NO INTENTION of riding the mountain bike home before it got a tune-up I decided to buy the Bianchi.  I got out of the shop for less than $1000, $500 less than I had expected to spend.

Here comes the "What was I thinking" part.  I took a different route home to avoid the traffic on the main drag through South Williamsport.  I turned up Mountain Ave so named because it used to be the highest steet on the mountain, runs parallel to the ridge) because I know it goes almost halfway to home and would have almost NO traffic on it.  WHAT WAS I THINKING!!?  Three straight miles of uphill!  Now, I'll grant you, it was only a measly 3.3% grade but it went on for THREE freakin' miles!!  Finally, it turned downhill and I let the bike coast toward the next street down.  I hit a bump and my smartphone jumped out of the holder I had them install.  I was too pooped to pedal back up so I walked a block uphill to pick it up.  Guess what ,,, it still worked!  Didn't even lose my route information!   Okay, hit the "BIG" hill out of Duboistown and I KNOW there is no way I'm going to be able to conquer this one.  So I turned off and took Cochrane Ave.  It parallels Euclid, but it doesn't have anywhere near the grade, and they both join together just as 654 comes out of Duboistown and heads through the game lands.  Only three miles to go.  Got to Nisbet, three quarters of a mile to go, but there is NO WAY I can climb this hill.  I toughed it out halfway up but then had to dismount.  I walked it up to where the slope breaks less severe and remounted, then pedaled the last half mile home.

Second ride - 7.42 miles - 53m 22s - 83* temp - 79% rel hum  Considering I had to walk back to pick up my phone and had to walk the top half of the last hill, I am not too displeased.

Observations - Things I learned on a 7.4 mile ride that I didn't learn from a 1 mile test ride.

1. The seat angle needs to be adjusted.  The twins are getting crushed.
  2. Seat height is not right.  I am getting bounce at the bottom of my stroke.
  3. The seat needs to go forward, I have to reach too far for the hoods.
  4. Devin will put me on a trainer and adjust all those fit problems tomorrow morning.
All that considered, I LOVE IT!!  I can't wait for Thursday to take it on my usual course for my first 13 mile ride.  I just know my times will go down.  Anybody want to tell me how to post pictures?

2012-07-31 5:13 PM

Regular
New York

Can I join in?

I just started to train for Tri a couple of weeks ago. I have two tears in the Muniscuss in my right knee and the doctor told me if it did not hurt I could do what i wanted so Iam. 

I'm just begininng and I'm 6'6" at around 356, so my runs are walks. I'm taking it slow and working steadily to get better and not get injured worse. I haven't swam in years and just trying to get some distance in. Biking I'm just trying to get to 90 RPM for 30 minutes so I can work from there.

So I gues this is howdy!!!

Oh I get up at 4 AM to work out to go with that whole conversation. 

2012-07-31 8:24 PM
in reply to: #4339947

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
UpstateNYYeti - 2012-07-31 6:13 PM

Can I join in?

I just started to train for Tri a couple of weeks ago. I have two tears in the Muniscuss in my right knee and the doctor told me if it did not hurt I could do what i wanted so Iam. 

I'm just begininng and I'm 6'6" at around 356, so my runs are walks. I'm taking it slow and working steadily to get better and not get injured worse. I haven't swam in years and just trying to get some distance in. Biking I'm just trying to get to 90 RPM for 30 minutes so I can work from there.

So I gues this is howdy!!!

Oh I get up at 4 AM to work out to go with that whole conversation. 

Welcome Yeti!  Use the forum to your advantage.  Don't feel bad for asking any questions, they've all been asked before, probably by one of us at some point.  I've heard great things about the Couch to 5k programs if you're looking for a starter for your runs. Good luck and remember to take it at your own pace and have try and have fun!

2012-07-31 8:31 PM
in reply to: #4339941

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Leatherneck - sounds like every ride from here on out is going to be easy compared to that start!  I know what you mean with the Soras.  I didn't even test ride a bike with them, just sat on one and didn't like the feel.  I have Shimano Ultegra on my Scott, they shift pretty smooth when things are all tuned up. 

I agree with your selection process.  The only way to really narrow down bikes is by price at first, after that it's really a toss up between fit and test ride.  You can get quickly fitted, or at least suggested a size, take it for a test ride then get it fit after if it's the right one. 

2012-08-01 4:21 AM

Regular
New York

Thanks for the welcome.

Good Morning all!!

Well rode 30 minutes on the trainer, and fast walked "At least for me." 15 minutes. Heading out to swim in 45 minutes.

Have to get the diameter of my tires so I can calibrate my cats eye for mileage on the bike. Then I can see if I can keep up with a snail.

Have a great day!!

Edited by UpstateNYYeti 2012-08-01 4:22 AM
2012-08-01 5:55 AM
in reply to: #4340447

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

UpstateNYYeti - 2012-08-01 5:21 AM   Then I can see if I can keep up with a snail.

Snails are easy dude.  It's the caterpillars that will really test you.Laughing  Smartphone?  Get the mapmyride app and you'll have all the information anyone at our level needs.  they even make this cool little holder that clamps to your handlebars to keep it out where it can read GPS easily.  I suppose you could use it to check yourself as you're riding, but I'm only interested in total times, and maybe lap times since I ride a loop repetitively.

2012-08-01 12:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Walk - 2.77 miles - 47m 30s - 3.5 mph  Not much to say.  It was a good walk, shaved 30 seconds off my time.  I am closing on my 4 mph pace goal.

I took the bike back to the shop this morning and spent 15 minutes with Devin getting it adjusted.  I will attempt my first 13.5 mile ride and see if there are any further adjustments needed.  I have 30 days of unlimited free adjustments, so I could literally take it back after every ride in August and have it tweaked.  I'm hoping it doesn't take the full dozen rides to get it just right.  This is what my new bike looks like.

2012-08-01 12:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
BikerGrrrl, might I suggest starting a new thread for August.  You could archive this one and start a fresh one each month.  Just a suggestion.
2012-08-01 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4341472

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Nice looking ride!  Did you get clip-in shoes for it yet?  I made the jump from MB to road bike w/clips all in the same time, but the clips really do make a huge difference, especially going up hills and not worrying about slipping or anything.
2012-08-01 2:00 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

Checking in with an awesome report for today,.

Biked 7 miles to the beach, swam .92 miles in open water, biked 7 miles home.  Home by 7:15 A.M.

I also bought one of those tow-behind orange safety buoy's ..  (I did have two other bikers/swimmers with me today though...

2012-08-01 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Everett

life got in the way again - work ran late, traffic was heavy, I had an evening appointment and my workout got skipped. 

Doggone it. 

Tonight is gym.  And, if I can talk my son into watching his brother for 45 minutes, swim team. 

I will not let me get this down. 

2012-08-01 3:51 PM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia

After a crazy few days, out for a run today (in the frost). Today was "strides" (100 m "sprint" repeats), so at least they kept me warm!

Nice looking bike too leather

2012-08-01 4:01 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
leatherneckpa - 2012-08-01 1:43 PM

Walk - 2.77 miles - 47m 30s - 3.5 mph  Not much to say.  It was a good walk, shaved 30 seconds off my time.  I am closing on my 4 mph pace goal.

I took the bike back to the shop this morning and spent 15 minutes with Devin getting it adjusted.  I will attempt my first 13.5 mile ride and see if there are any further adjustments needed.  I have 30 days of unlimited free adjustments, so I could literally take it back after every ride in August and have it tweaked.  I'm hoping it doesn't take the full dozen rides to get it just right.  This is what my new bike looks like.

Congrats on the bike purchase, leatherneck!  Getting the fit right will make all the difference in the world.  And congrats on getting close to your pace goal, good stuff!

2012-08-01 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
leatherneckpa - 2012-08-01 11:43 AM

Looks fun, Like it was said before fit is key. Get some time on the bike before you go in for your next adjustment, Unless it really hurts. That way you can tell them any issues. The first couple might feel weird just because its a new bike. Have Fun!!!

2012-08-01 6:20 PM

This thread is very very full. Hi everyone, today was my official first work out day and I walked for thirty minutes. I am 300lbs and have a long way to go before I can really do much of anything but this is my start and I enjoy reading everyone's successes. Hopefully I can feed off the motivation here and make it to next week.
2012-08-01 6:42 PM

Regular
New York

Sweat ride, and red goes faster!!

Grats!

2012-08-01 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I was going to take tonight off but decided to do a quick run instead.  I wanted to see how quick I could run a mile.  Tough part is I live at the bottom of a hill that is 1/2 mile long, so the run was pretty much huffing up the hill, then flying back down.  Did it in 7m30s which was awesome.  In retrospect, I probably should have taken a break for a few minutes then did it again.  7 mins isn't much of a workout.
2012-08-01 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

jonD, no clips, I got toe cages instead.  I can only buy New Balance shoes because I wear a size 13 EEEE, and I haven't found ANY other manufacturer that fits me.  I don't want to spend $100 for bike shoes to find they do not fit.  So, at least for Blueman, I am going to ride in my running shoes.  But you are right, not having to fear sliding off a pedal is very comforting.

SoberTriGuy, great workout!  I don't know any place yet where I can combine an OWS and a bike, but I'll have to search.

Yeti, you are right.  White may be the lightest, but red is the fastest!

The BIG news here is that I lost 6 lbs this week!  I weighed in at WW's at 347.8.  It's the first time I've been below 350 since 2006!!  It's been hard listening to all these people who came in after I did celebrating hitting their 10% goals and such when I hadn't hit mine yet.  But then again, for me to hit 10% loss required me to loose 40 lbs, which I did tonight.  I'm looking for 10 more by Labor Day as my next goal.

2012-08-01 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Everett
Posting from the gym - I made it here! Lately that feels like the bigger hurdle tray her than workin out! Weights, then run, then swim team. Phew!Back to sweating!!
2012-08-01 10:20 PM
in reply to: #4342450

Leather - Congrats! that's a big milestone, good for you.  Sweet new ride too!

I didn't make it to the gym today.  Caught the latest crud that my daughter brought home from daycare and have been feeling completely rundown.  Feeling a little bit better tonight, going to try for a 5am workout tomorrow and introduce some weight training and running into my "routine."  Gotta remember not to overdo it on the first day.  

2012-08-02 5:21 AM

Regular
New York

30 minute ride this morning, 6.78 miles. Trying to catch up to the catepillars. Laughing

I was so much faster in kilometers an hour. I had to go fix my Catseye, so I can really see how slow I'm going.  But hey I'm moving and thats a start.

Have a great day everyone!!

2012-08-02 5:22 AM

Regular
New York
Grats Leatherneck on the weight loss!!!!
2012-08-02 7:29 AM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Welcome blue, and congrats leather!
2012-08-02 8:38 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

After my first tri in 2 year on sunday I have my next one in 3.5 weeks which is an oly over a sprint.  I really need to improve a lot in that time.  OK I am not in good shape.  my goal is simple now.  I swam mile for the first time in ages last night.  I figure I need to just hammer out a mile every time in the pool and lose as much weight as possible.  I am 311 as of this morning and if I can get below 300 by race day I should be somewhat ok.  Do not get me wrong I been training but very run heavy.  If I can make it to the bike without being too tired I think I should be fine.  I was in way worse shape 2 years ago when I did the race so I should be ok now.
2012-08-02 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Listening to my body for a change.  I started riding and the adjustments seemed to be much more comfortable.  When I can stay in the hoods it seems to cruise quite nicely, and with noticeably less effort.  However, my butt was screaming at me to "Get off this saddle!"  Quite simply, I couldn't stay in the saddle for more than a few minutes at a time.  Then I had to stand up and coast to rest the sit bones.  So while I was cruising along I was making good time, but the coasting cost me time.

Also, I don't think my legs have completely recovered from the punishment of Tuesday's rides.  They were jelly for most of the ride.  In the end I decided to quit after the first lap.  I will try to get a more comfortable saddle or a gel pad to make the saddle bearable before Saturday's ride.  If I can't I suppose I will have to tough it out but I'll probably have to back off to only one or two laps to until my sit bones get accustomed sitting on this butt-buster.

Ride - 4.46 miles - 21m 35s - 12.4 mph - rather disappointing, but it clearly demonstrates that the motor is more important than the machine.  I'm not saying the new bike won't help, but it's going to take some getting used to.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 45