BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2012-12-29 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4551891

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed
michgirlsk - 2012-12-28 1:20 PM

David, I am totally leaning towards taking a break from swimming altogether. I see the bright side as being it will give me time to work on my weak biking... Undecided  You may have mentioned this before, but is your elbow completely healed now?  My worry is that I will still be feeling after effects months from now (or forever!) So in that sense, Bhargav, 2-3 weeks sounds very good to me!

Last night was the worst it's been at. My left elbow was literally throbbing even though I was doing absolutely nothing. (as in, laying in bed!)  Today my left elbow is better, but now my right elbow is getting worse..... (wasn't having major problems with the right elbow yesterday.)  I honestly cannot help but laugh.... I think perhaps it can be atrributed to using my right arm for everything to avoid using my left arm.  I did purchase an elbow support thing.

To make matters, um, more funny.... I have pretty much lost my voice!!!  Several times today I have literally been talking to someone and no sound comes out!

Samantha-

I just thought of something and wanted to share it - it may not apply at all. My husband has had elbow problems with his right elbow. He played high school baseball and then a few seasons in the outfield for the White Sox Farm System. He now loves golf, but will occasionally play softball with some buddies. If he gets to throwing too hard or too much or plays way too much golf (he doesn't think that is possible of course), he aggravates a tendon that causes pain. In the past, the tendon has actually moved from one side of his elbow to the other. Even now, he can rub his elbow and feel the looseness of the tendon. The doctor had told him the only solution is surgery. He has no interest in going under the knife at this time and as long as he isn't throwing a baseball as far as the eye can see than he is usually okay. As a result of this, he has some arthritis in his right shoulder, probably not directly related.

He had a cortisone shot last summer and has peen pain free, which means he has been hitting the gym hard and lifting a lot! He also wears an elbow brace from time to time (if it feels aggravated) and the doctor has prescribed two different meds in the event that the elbow pain flares up badly. I think he has a anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxer or something similar. When it does flare up, he takes the meds and is better within a few days, instead a several weeks.

I do hope you feel better and can narrow down what is going o. 

2012-12-29 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4552839

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
wbayek - 2012-12-29 10:02 AM

Good luck Jen, and definitely waiting for the results.  Also, do a race report.  They can be very valuable for checking later and evaluating how things went, as well as letting us really experience the race with you.

As far as a fan on the trainer, it's very important.  Even though it can feel like you're working harder since you're sweating so much, it's actually detrimental from a training standpoint.  Since your core temperature is so high, you are not able to push your legs as hard as they should be pushed to get the maximum benefit.

Jeff posted some info a while back that mentioned cooling your head is actually all you really need to do, so even a small fan on your head goes a long way to keeping you cool enough to work harder.  I have a cheap air mover floor fan that does a good job at home, and I bring a clip on battery fan when I ride at work on the stationary or spin bikes.  Yeah, people look at me funny, but when you're 50 and wear spandex in public nothing bothers you anymore!

I bet those people aren't looking at you funny - I bet they are envious. Since it gets so freakin hot here in South Georgia, I have stopped using an extra fan on the treadmill. I do on the stationary bike since I feel like I get a lot hotter. Earlier this year, I read an article on racing in hot weather and acclimating your body to running in hot temps. Kinda wonering if that article was a bunch of bologny right about now. This is defitniely an issue I will be revisiting as the weather gets warmer around here.  

2012-12-29 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Jen good luck on you HM and I hope you can get your IT feeling better.

2012-12-29 9:55 AM

User image

Bronze member

Doh - 30 min in on my goal of a 2 hour trainer ride and the satellite just went out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012-12-29 10:44 AM
in reply to: #4552843

User image

Expert
MI
jenbmosley - 2012-12-29 10:06 AM 

Samantha-

I just thought of something and wanted to share it - it may not apply at all. My husband has had elbow problems with his right elbow. He played high school baseball and then a few seasons in the outfield for the White Sox Farm System. He now loves golf, but will occasionally play softball with some buddies. If he gets to throwing too hard or too much or plays way too much golf (he doesn't think that is possible of course), he aggravates a tendon that causes pain. In the past, the tendon has actually moved from one side of his elbow to the other. Even now, he can rub his elbow and feel the looseness of the tendon. The doctor had told him the only solution is surgery. He has no interest in going under the knife at this time and as long as he isn't throwing a baseball as far as the eye can see than he is usually okay. As a result of this, he has some arthritis in his right shoulder, probably not directly related.

He had a cortisone shot last summer and has peen pain free, which means he has been hitting the gym hard and lifting a lot! He also wears an elbow brace from time to time (if it feels aggravated) and the doctor has prescribed two different meds in the event that the elbow pain flares up badly. I think he has a anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxer or something similar. When it does flare up, he takes the meds and is better within a few days, instead a several weeks.

I do hope you feel better and can narrow down what is going o. 

Surprised Tendons moving around does not sound good!  Dang!  (btw I had the same reaction to your concussions and broken wrist!)

2012-12-29 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4552924

User image

Expert
MI

What is the difference between a brace and a support thing?  (Are they considered the same thing??)  This thing is what I have, mainly because my options were limited driving around at 11:30 at night trying to find something!  I also have this thing... and I'm wondering if this thing would be worth buying because of the "tendon pad"?  I do know of a golf store that's around, I wonder if they would have something useful?

eta.... Actually I don't know if that second link is what I have.  It looks similar, the my container says "elbow support, neoprene brace"...

Edited by michgirlsk 2012-12-29 10:57 AM

2012-12-29 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4552839

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Good luck Jen, and definitely waiting for the results.  Also, do a race report.  They can be very valuable for checking later and evaluating how things went, as well as letting us really experience the race with you.

As far as a fan on the trainer, it's very important.  Even though it can feel like you're working harder since you're sweating so much, it's actually detrimental from a training standpoint.  Since your core temperature is so high, you are not able to push your legs as hard as they should be pushed to get the maximum benefit.

Jeff posted some info a while back that mentioned cooling your head is actually all you really need to do, so even a small fan on your head goes a long way to keeping you cool enough to work harder.  I have a cheap air mover floor fan that does a good job at home, and I bring a clip on battery fan when I ride at work on the stationary or spin bikes.  Yeah, people look at me funny, but when you're 50 and wear spandex in public nothing bothers you anymore!

Warren I got a good laugh out of that one. Yes grown men in spandex mean one of three things either your a cyclist, triathlete or you are fronting a metal band of some sort!

I agree with everyone on the fan it is a must for me as I sweat profusely when riding on the trainer. I have a big fan, one of those ones that has the hose for the mist it's called the "Wind Chaser". I crank that thing up on high and put it right in front of my aero bars. The KK bike computer reads temp as well so I have noticed the temp has been between 66 and 68 degress when I have been doing the Jorge WCP workouts in the basement with the heat off.

The other thing I do and I know we have mentioned this here before is to cover the bike with towels and wipe it down good when you finish. I use a few towles to cover parts of the aero bars where the cables and bolts are around the head tube. I also wrap a towel around the top tube of the frame and tie it down with velcro straps. I make sure to wipe my bike down afterwards as well.

2012-12-29 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4552929

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
michgirlsk - 2012-12-29 11:52 AM

What is the difference between a brace and a support thing?  (Are they considered the same thing??)  This thing is what I have, mainly because my options were limited driving around at 11:30 at night trying to find something!  I also have this thing... and I'm wondering if this thing would be worth buying because of the "tendon pad"?  I do know of a golf store that's around, I wonder if they would have something useful?

eta.... Actually I don't know if that second link is what I have.  It looks similar, the my container says "elbow support, neoprene brace"...

Samantha just looking at those products looks like the two that you have will support the elbow the one with the tendon pad looks like it will support the elbow and provide pain relief for the forearm as well according to product description. I think you can compare those two futuro products on that drugstore website as well. To me the one with the tendon pad looks to do a little more. Not sure if you are having pain beyond the elbow into the forearm though and what you have may already be good enough but you can confirm.

2012-12-29 12:23 PM

User image

Bronze member

I just want to say, in case you don't already know, that I stink with tech gadgets.Yell

Got my new to me/used Garmin 310XT which was sold with the Premium HR strap. I paired everything up again, set everything on the watch, TrainerRoad recognized my HR and cadence but still no speed or power reading. So, I think I did not set up my cadence sensor correctly. I am guessing that the arm on the sensor is too far away from the speed magnet. I hope this is it otherwise I'll have to take it to someone and beg for help!

Regardless, I finished my longest ride ever on the trainer with 1 hour and 50 min. It wasn't that bad until the last 30 min or so. Then I was just ready to be finished and do something else. Helps that there is nothing to do today. We have snow, it is cold & windy and both my kids woke up with tummy trouble.

2012-12-29 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4553013

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
trigal38 - 2012-12-29 1:23 PM

I just want to say, in case you don't already know, that I stink with tech gadgets.Yell

Got my new to me/used Garmin 310XT which was sold with the Premium HR strap. I paired everything up again, set everything on the watch, TrainerRoad recognized my HR and cadence but still no speed or power reading. So, I think I did not set up my cadence sensor correctly. I am guessing that the arm on the sensor is too far away from the speed magnet. I hope this is it otherwise I'll have to take it to someone and beg for help!

Regardless, I finished my longest ride ever on the trainer with 1 hour and 50 min. It wasn't that bad until the last 30 min or so. Then I was just ready to be finished and do something else. Helps that there is nothing to do today. We have snow, it is cold & windy and both my kids woke up with tummy trouble.

Dina yes I think you may be right in regards to the problem you are having. I have a Cateye bike computer and the magnet has to line up correctly in the sensor zone or you will not get a reading on your speed. It is a pain to get it lined up correctly sometimes you just have to kind of mess around until you get the correct alignment.

Congrats on your long trainer ride today they are never any fun until they are over. I have a 2:20 hour ride that I am not looking foward to doing sometime this afternoon or this evening.

2012-12-29 12:54 PM

User image

NH
Dina, and with the Garmin, the distance between the magnets and sensors is very touchy. They have to be pretty close as well as lined up.

2012-12-29 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4552929

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
michgirlsk - 2012-12-29 10:52 AM

The first one is the exact one I had, worked like a charm.  If I remember correctly the trick was to have the lower portion a bit tight to support and relieve the strain on the tendons/ligaments that run from your elbow to your wrist.

2012-12-29 1:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
So it was supposed to snow today, and I was excited for an 8 mile trail run in it! But it ended up snow/sleeting and not sticking so what I got was an 8 mile run in the mud.  Still fun but man does the mud make it hard.
2012-12-29 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I'm posting just to let everyone know I've been more busy than usual during my trip to Ohio to visit family.  I have been reading as much as I can but it has been fairly intermittent and obviously I've not been posting.  We are sceduled to leave tomorrow morning to go home and I should be able to get back into the swing of things by tomorrow night of Monday morning.

I have also had more trips to the Doc since we came to Ohio.  It seems my oldest daughter is having more sickness.  we needed to take her to the doc yesterday.  She's been miserable the entire trip so far and it has made for a little less favorable trip than we would have liked.

I am now off to the last scheduled family get together before heading home tomorrow.  I'll try to catch up on the reading tonight.

I'm glad to see so much social interaction going on as well.  It will help draw the group closer and allow more up front and open discussion as we move ahead for the next 3 months.

2012-12-29 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4552952

User image

New York
strikyr - 2012-12-29 12:17 PM

Warren I got a good laugh out of that one. Yes grown men in spandex mean one of three things either your a cyclist, triathlete or you are fronting a metal band of some sort!

I agree with everyone on the fan it is a must for me as I sweat profusely when riding on the trainer. I have a big fan, one of those ones that has the hose for the mist it's called the "Wind Chaser". I crank that thing up on high and put it right in front of my aero bars. The KK bike computer reads temp as well so I have noticed the temp has been between 66 and 68 degress when I have been doing the Jorge WCP workouts in the basement with the heat off.

The other thing I do and I know we have mentioned this here before is to cover the bike with towels and wipe it down good when you finish. I use a few towles to cover parts of the aero bars where the cables and bolts are around the head tube. I also wrap a towel around the top tube of the frame and tie it down with velcro straps. I make sure to wipe my bike down afterwards as well.

Haha spandex is what makes you legit apparently. When I told my colleagues at work about training for a century, all they wanted was to see a picture of me in spandex so they'd believe me. And forward it around to get a good laugh out of it. 

Tony, Warren and Jen - thank you all for the suggestions on the fan. I just ordered an oscillating pedestal fan off amazon, so it should be home next week. I also have one of these "bike thongs" that covers the bars and the top tube of the frame. It's all held down with velcro straps and I find it pretty good.

Dirk, hope your daughter feels well soon. good luck!

2012-12-29 3:27 PM
in reply to: #4553061

User image

Expert
MI

dmiller5 - 2012-12-29 2:15 PM So it was supposed to snow today, and I was excited for an 8 mile trail run in it! But it ended up snow/sleeting and not sticking so what I got was an 8 mile run in the mud.  Still fun but man does the mud make it hard.

Well, I got in a snow-packed trail run for you! Man, I felt so slow!  I also got lost a couple times... lots of stop and go, total run time was about 40 minutes, but I would not be surprised if I am sore tomorrow.  It was funny, I ran into the same group of people snowshoeing like 5 times...  At one point it was on a single track trail (designed for mountain biking) and one guy was like "sorry to complicate your run" (they were taking up the whole path).. I was thinking I'm complicating my own run!  I don't really do trails ever, at least not since I started doing triathlons, and today's run got me thinking an xterra, if I end up doing it, should be very interesting!

2012-12-29 6:51 PM
in reply to: #4551104

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Jen -

Thanks. Me and the lady I pulled-out in front of are both fine. (Ironically enough, I didn't see her because one of our local running clubs were out en masse and I could't see around them!)

My strategy for losing lbs:

I've already gone the WW route. I plateaued and have stayed plateaued with a slight gain for over a year!

I'm currently reading "Nutrition Periodization for Athletes" - some interesting stuff which I will implement into my daily eating plan. 

Go mostly low-carb during the offseason since the intensity/volume of my workouts will not require lots of carbs.

Keep a food diary.

Identify the emotional triggers which cause me to reach for food when I'm not really hungry.

Mindful eating.

We'll see how all this works....

Edited by kickitinok 2012-12-29 6:53 PM
2012-12-29 6:57 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Dirk sorry to hear about your daughter I hope she is feeling better and gets well soon.

David and Samantha nice runs today especially getting out there and doing it when it's snowing out.

I did finish my long trainer ride so 4 weeks of Jorge's winter cycling program in the books. I so did not want to do it and I thought the second hour would be tough but I was surprised I felt stronger the second hour and I actually attacked it the last 30 minutes. I definitely can see and feel the difference over the last 4 weeks. I'm very happy with the results today and I can see this is going to pay some nice dividends come spring time.

2012-12-29 6:59 PM
in reply to: #4551558

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
wbayek - 2012-12-27 11:11 AM
kickitinok - 2012-12-27 9:54 PM

Oh wow....I have been so busy this week that I haven't had any time to catch-up with all the posts. My goals for the upcoming season:

1. Lose 25lbs

2. Race an Oly in under 3:20

3. Run a HM in 2:45 or under

4. Race a HIM in 7:45 or under

5. Quit wrecking my car. I had another auto accident tonight. Cry

Sorry to hear about the car, hopefully just car injuries and nothing human related.

Great goals, and though I broke this one myself, sometimes time goals can be tricky.  Let's say on the day of your HIM the wind is howling or it's really hot.  A 7:45 on that kind of day is very different than a 7:45 under perfect conditions.  I'm not trying to dissuade you from hitting these goals, but be realistic in assessing yourself based on race day conditions and good luck!

Thanks, and yes those are good points. I've had a bit of experience not meeting race time goals recently: I was 5 minutes over my projected finish time at Dallas Half Marathon. I was bummed at first, but then I realized that the course was hillier, and the weather was hot and humid compared to the only other stand alone HM I'd done earlier in the year. So all in all, it really wasn't an accurate measure of my run progress. However, I do find it's kind of fun to have something to shoot for....I just don't get freaked out if I don't meet my race time goals.

Edited by kickitinok 2012-12-29 7:00 PM
2012-12-29 7:13 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Oh and I guess I should mention:

I have a Garmin 305 that holds about 2.5-3 hours charge for sale if anyone wants it: $50 (doesn't include HR strap).

Also have a Timex Ironman Sleek 150-Lap Tap Screen Watch: Never used. Paid $60 am selling for $35. I bought it for using in the pool before my husband surprised me with a Garmin 910XT before my first HIM in Sept. I know there's a section here on BT for selling your gear, but I thought I'd give anyone in this group thats interested first dibs. 

2012-12-29 8:31 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Easing back into running with the C25K plan. Ran/walked 3 times this week. I'm going to dust off the bike tomorrow & ride. Probably ride 15-20 miles. Unfortunately, I've fallen out of touch with the group I used to ride with and I'm way too out of shape to jump back in. Tomorrow, I'm riding with a friend of friend who is also trying to get back in shape.

This is going to be the hard part of getting back on the bike. I do most of my running solo and am used to that. However, I love riding with a group, especially one that pushes me and teaches me. I might be doing lots of solo rides in the upcoming months & will have to find ways to motivate myself on the bike. I'm lucky to live in an area where I can bike outdoors year round so I want to take advantage of it, but not having a group will be a change for me. I'm going to take the same approach as I am with running and just ease in with shorter consistent rides. Hopefully I can work back up to riding with the old group by summer or find a new one

Dirk-Sorry to hear about your daughter. Hope she is feeling better

2012-12-29 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4553325

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
kickitinok - 2012-12-29 6:51 PM

Jen -

Thanks. Me and the lady I pulled-out in front of are both fine. (Ironically enough, I didn't see her because one of our local running clubs were out en masse and I could't see around them!)

I've already gone the WW route. I plateaued and have stayed plateaued with a slight gain for over a year!

I'm currently reading "Nutrition Periodization for Athletes" - some interesting stuff which I will implement into my daily eating plan. 

Go mostly low-carb during the offseason since the intensity/volume of my workouts will not require lots of carbs.

Keep a food diary.

Identify the emotional triggers which cause me to reach for food when I'm not really hungry.

Mindful eating.

LOVE all of this. I'm forcing myself to start keeping the food diary again and trying to plan out my meals.

2012-12-29 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4553325

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
kickitinok - 2012-12-29 7:51 PM

Jen -

Keep a food diary.

Mindful eating.

Trina I use the food diary as well. I write everything down and log it here on BT. I have done this all season and I think it has been very useful to me. I have a very good understanding what my calorie range is for losing, gaining and maintaining my weight. That also factors in the low and high intensity training sessions. It's been very helpful.

2012-12-29 9:26 PM
in reply to: #4553425

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
jpbis26 - 2012-12-29 9:31 PM

Easing back into running with the C25K plan. Ran/walked 3 times this week. I'm going to dust off the bike tomorrow & ride. Probably ride 15-20 miles. Unfortunately, I've fallen out of touch with the group I used to ride with and I'm way too out of shape to jump back in. Tomorrow, I'm riding with a friend of friend who is also trying to get back in shape.

This is going to be the hard part of getting back on the bike. I do most of my running solo and am used to that. However, I love riding with a group, especially one that pushes me and teaches me. I might be doing lots of solo rides in the upcoming months & will have to find ways to motivate myself on the bike. I'm lucky to live in an area where I can bike outdoors year round so I want to take advantage of it, but not having a group will be a change for me. I'm going to take the same approach as I am with running and just ease in with shorter consistent rides. Hopefully I can work back up to riding with the old group by summer or find a new one

Dirk-Sorry to hear about your daughter. Hope she is feeling better

Jackie I think it's great that you've been able to get back to running and are easing into it. I also think your approach to getting on the bike is a smart one. If you can get back to riding consistently I think you should be able get your endurance back pretty quickly and you might be riding back with your old group sooner rather than later if not hopefully you can find some partners or a new group to ride with. I did most of my riding solo this past season and I like doing that but I also enjoyed riding with others when I has the chance to do so. I'm hoping to do a little of both come spring time.

2012-12-29 10:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Couple of thoughts;

1st, Warren the image of a 50 yr old guy in spandex is just off, I don't care how long I do this sport I am never going to get used to wearing spandex. Even today in my own house I put a shirt on over my bib suit while on my trainer, guess I'm just shy

I love all the talk about easy running and the couch to 5/10k programs! From my experience this is the way to go, nice and easy with a slow increase in distance and effort. January will mark my 2yr mark in this sport and I have found that nice and easy has helped me avoid injury and downtime. When I feel like I need to run faster I just ask myself, if I run harder/faster will I be able to run again tomorrow? Do nothing to jeopardize tomorrows work out!

nutrition logging, I attempted this once. Keeping up with it was a lot of work and just took up too much time. I do believe if I could stick with it, it could become beneficial. Maybe I will try again in 2013.

Jackie I agree with you, group rides are much better, I always seem to get lazy when I am out by myself. Although I would take being able to ride year round outside over a group any day. With the foot of snow on the ground I can't even get the MTB out for a ride! But the snow does make for a good run, always seems to be quiet and peaceful after a fresh snow. This is why I am looking forward to tomorrow's run, minimum of 11 miles on trails covered in snow, going to be a good time and should be a good warm-up run for the dirt dawg 8 miler that is coming up in a few weeks! That race is just crazy, up and down hills through mud (well unless its frozen) and even have to cross a creek twice! Last year it was 21 degrees out and the water was knee deep! I can't wait!

Dirk, I hope your daughter is feeling better! And be safe on your drive home, the roads around me are in less than stellar condition and if I remember correctly you have to drive through this area to get home! Hopefully most of your drive is interstate and should be clear!

enough rambling,
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119