BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-04 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4561824

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED

rquinn23 - 2013-01-04 9:58 AM Definitely feeling like a slacker! Raining and windy this morning, and although I don't mind running in the rain I just couldn't get out the door. Brought my running clothes to work, though, so I think I'll head out for a noon run (which I never do, but I have to start getting mid-day runs in this year in preparation for IM Louisville). Then XFit after work. This weekend will get in a long run of 10 miles and hopefully a bike of 40 or so, though it is supposed to rain all weekend. Do any of you use a roller trainer for the bike? It's the only kind I have, and there is no way I could do longer than an hour on it. Usually I only do 30 minutes, though I think my longest is 45. It's tough to get a change in effort, so I try to just change gears and do intervals of harder effort and maybe some high-cadence spinning intervals.

I haven't tried rollers.  I have a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer.  I spend lots of time on it.  I think my record is around 4 hours.  Being stationary it's tough on your bottom!  I was thinking about rollers or a rock and roll trainer for longer rides.  I was hoping the movement of the bike along with your boday would cause less discomfort like it does on the road.

2013-01-04 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4561836

User image

Veteran
Meulen - 2013-01-04 11:04 AM

rquinn23 - 2013-01-04 9:58 AM Definitely feeling like a slacker! Raining and windy this morning, and although I don't mind running in the rain I just couldn't get out the door. Brought my running clothes to work, though, so I think I'll head out for a noon run (which I never do, but I have to start getting mid-day runs in this year in preparation for IM Louisville). Then XFit after work. This weekend will get in a long run of 10 miles and hopefully a bike of 40 or so, though it is supposed to rain all weekend. Do any of you use a roller trainer for the bike? It's the only kind I have, and there is no way I could do longer than an hour on it. Usually I only do 30 minutes, though I think my longest is 45. It's tough to get a change in effort, so I try to just change gears and do intervals of harder effort and maybe some high-cadence spinning intervals.

I haven't tried rollers.  I have a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer.  I spend lots of time on it.  I think my record is around 4 hours.  Being stationary it's tough on your bottom!  I was thinking about rollers or a rock and roll trainer for longer rides.  I was hoping the movement of the bike along with your boday would cause less discomfort like it does on the road.

Curious as to how you managed to keep your sanity for 4 hours on the trainer. I have done 1.5 hours or about the lenght of a movie before, but that was more than enough.
2013-01-04 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4561414

User image

Expert
San Jose
bdenehy - 2013-01-04 4:35 AM Happy Friday all!

Wanted to share my latest training-related gadget. I've never used one before but I just got a bluetooth audio converter for the TV in my garage , set up in front of my trainer. It's supposed to plug into either the TV or directly into the netflix/dvd player and convert the signal so it can be heard on bluetooth headphones. Between bike noises, the fan, and the sometimes bad sound quality of streaming programs/my old TV, i tend to jack up the volume. Since the garage is directly under my 5 year old's bedroom, it sets off a chain of events at 5am that we can do without. I'm really hoping this brings harmony since i NEED entertainment if exercising inside.

Well, we are only a few days into the new year, but so far, so good with consistency.

That is truly the tip of the day!

I love to watch TV when I'm on the trainer but those days that I have to get on early I usually read. We don't have a 5 year old but we do have a 24 and 26 year old back home with us. They don't have to get up at 5:00am for work but if I woke them up that early they might act like 5 year olds

2013-01-04 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Today's plan calls for a 40 min. run followed by a 30 min swim.

Sat. - hour+ swim

Sun - hour run

Long workouts at the moment are  1 1/2 hrs on the bike and 1 hr run. These should stay fairly consistent until the end of the month when they get bumped up a little.

Plan on relaxing this evening and watching OU beat the tar out of Texas A&M! Maybe put back on some of the 3 pounds I have lost in the last few days! Fingers crossed that it will snow today so I can get out for a ski this weekend!

2013-01-04 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4561509

User image

Expert
San Jose
zee744 - 2013-01-04 5:56 AM

Happy Friday, all!

I'm feeling a good weekend! Took the day off yesterday with some soreness, plus a hot date...so we'll start off the weekend with a swim and run tonight. Longer bike tomorrow with a short run. Short bike and longer run on Sunday. Also, it's the start of the PLAYOFFS!! Luckily my Niners have no game Wink

What does everyone else have in store? What are you long workouts considered at this point? 

My schedule is still pretty light compared to some. I'm doing about 30 miles on the bike Saturday and then some strength training and a long run Sunday of 4 miles. I'm training with my daughter for her first 10K in February. If I feel good afterwards I might add another mile or 2 but I'm not doing anything too long yet.

I woke up early to get my workout in 3 days in a row this week. Yea for me! I'm planning to get back to masters swim next week. That means a 5:00 wake up and a cold walk from the locker room to the pool (we swim outdoors). If I don't say anything about swimming next week someone needs to yell at me.

2013-01-04 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Rollers scare me! I use a CycleOps Fluid 2 and really enjoy it.

2013-01-04 10:58 AM

User image

Happy Friday!

I'm in taper mood for my goofy challenge next weekend so nothing long for me until its over with!

Today I hit the gym and did 30 minutes on the stair mill with some intervals in there and core work.

Tomorrow will be a 6 mile run and probably a short easy trail run on Sunday.

Next week Ill be taking it easy with short light runs and swimming.

2013-01-04 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4561942

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-04 10:40 AM

Wanted to share my latest training-related gadget. I've never used one before but I just got a bluetooth audio converter for the TV in my garage , set up in front of my trainer. It's supposed to plug into either the TV or directly into the netflix/dvd player and convert the signal so it can be heard on bluetooth headphones. Between bike noises, the fan, and the sometimes bad sound quality of streaming programs/my old TV, i tend to jack up the volume. Since the garage is directly under my 5 year old's bedroom, it sets off a chain of events at 5am that we can do without. I'm really hoping this brings harmony since i NEED entertainment if exercising inside.

Well, we are only a few days into the new year, but so far, so good with consistency.

I love to watch TV when I'm on the trainer but those days that I have to get on early I usually read. We don't have a 5 year old but we do have a 24 and 26 year old back home with us. They don't have to get up at 5:00am for work but if I woke them up that early they might act like 5 year olds

My hubby gave me (himself!) a ROKU for xmas - plugs it in to the tv (like a dvd player) and you can stream netflix, huluplus and a few other videos sites. A  lot easier than plugging the computer into the tv every time you want to use it. Actually makes we want to get on the trainer so I can watch some new shows. I do like the idea of headphones to get with it!

2013-01-04 11:04 AM
in reply to: #4561414

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
bdenehy - 2013-01-04 7:35 AM Happy Friday all!

I will have to look into that, no problem with waking anyone up, but getting rid of the cords would be nice.

2013-01-04 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Michelle,

Is the Goofy Challenge two races back to back?

2013-01-04 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4561550

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Omahabritt - 2013-01-04 9:14 AM Wow Nate, you make me feel like such a slacker with all your double workouts! I was up at 5 this morning for a tough spin class followed by some strength training. This weekend I'll get a run or two in & maybe a Pilates class. My core always needs work, so I'm taking some time these next couple of weeks to do some other types of exercise I don't nomally have time for when in full training mode. While at the gym, I got in a conversation with a friend about our disdain for musicals. All our talk about TM's made me think, "imagine watching a musical while on the TM", not sure if it can get any worse! At least for me!

My wife made me sit through Momma Mia, I will never get that time back! 

2013-01-04 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4561998

User image

Expert
San Jose
robingray_260 - 2013-01-04 9:00 AM
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-04 10:40 AM

My hubby gave me (himself!) a ROKU for xmas - plugs it in to the tv (like a dvd player) and you can stream netflix, huluplus and a few other videos sites. A  lot easier than plugging the computer into the tv every time you want to use it. Actually makes we want to get on the trainer so I can watch some new shows. I do like the idea of headphones to get with it!

My son gave us a BluRay player that can do the same thing. He has a HuluPlus account and our daughter has a Netflix account. We're going to start reversing roles around here and use their passwords to mooch off of their accounts. I won't have any excuse to not do long trainer rides other than they are long trainer rides

2013-01-04 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4561556

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
DeVinci13 - 2013-01-04 9:16 AM

I was excited yesterday. It was only -4C and a beautifully sunny day so I took out the mountain bike and did a 15 mile ride on the local trails. I used my Garmin 610 for the second time and it is an amazing little device. It only lost about 1/4 of its battery life even exposed to the cold for close to 1.5 hours. Living in Manitoba, the elevation change over the 15 miles was 7 feet, haha.

I was up early this morning, 5:10 am, to get to my 1 hour masters swim class. Lots of flipper work today. Curling tonight. Tomorrow is a good 1.5-2:00 hour indoor bike followed by a brick run. Sunday is hockey for an hour then I can relax. Maybe check out a movie and eat some popcorn.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Outside on the bike at minus anything F or C sounds cold!  Good for you!

2013-01-04 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4561885

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
ramiedd - 2013-01-04 10:23 AM

Curious as to how you managed to keep your sanity for 4 hours on the trainer. I have done 1.5 hours or about the lenght of a movie before, but that was more than enough.

Some might say I'm insane to begin with, so it's not really an issue!   Really, I don't have a problem with it as long as I break it up.  Typically, when I go that long, I'll do 20min intervals at around 80% FTP/5-10min rest interval and then repeat.  If I get bored I'll throw in some hill climbs or go 75% on one and 85% on the next.  Just mix it up!  I've tried watching movies but never really pay attention.  I just zone out.  Music is best for me.  The only time it sucks is when my wife is home.  If she's sitting on the couch watching me I feel guilty and it kinda messes with my mind some!

2013-01-04 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4561509

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
zee744 - 2013-01-04 8:56 AM

Happy Friday, all!

I'm feeling a good weekend! Took the day off yesterday with some soreness, plus a hot date...so we'll start off the weekend with a swim and run tonight. Longer bike tomorrow with a short run. Short bike and longer run on Sunday. Also, it's the start of the PLAYOFFS!! Luckily my Niners have no game Wink

What does everyone else have in store? What are you long workouts considered at this point? 

Good question/topic Nate!

My long sessions are still fairly short.  Hour to 90 minutes on the bike and 7 or 8 miles on the run, but I just started the plan Monday so I am guessing that it is only going to grow from here! 

2013-01-04 11:18 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

rquinn23 - 2013-01-04 10:58 AM Definitely feeling like a slacker! Raining and windy this morning, and although I don't mind running in the rain I just couldn't get out the door. Brought my running clothes to work, though, so I think I'll head out for a noon run (which I never do, but I have to start getting mid-day runs in this year in preparation for IM Louisville). Then XFit after work. This weekend will get in a long run of 10 miles and hopefully a bike of 40 or so, though it is supposed to rain all weekend. Do any of you use a roller trainer for the bike? It's the only kind I have, and there is no way I could do longer than an hour on it. Usually I only do 30 minutes, though I think my longest is 45. It's tough to get a change in effort, so I try to just change gears and do intervals of harder effort and maybe some high-cadence spinning intervals.

I have had 2 crashes on my bike in the 6 or 7 years I have been doing this.  One was a minor crash on a slippery road doing a group ride in California when I was on a work project out there.  The other was in my basement on my rollers.  It is a good thing I wasn't hurt too bad as my wife was laughing too hard to offer any assistance!  I only drag them out once in a while.

That said, I have a good friend who only uses the rollers.  He is active on BT and wrote an article with an attached video that you can read and view here. He regularly rides them for several hours although personally I have no idea how he does it. 

In my opinion, the trainer gives you a better conditioning type workout, where the rollers give you a better bike handling type workout (which I failed miserably at!)

2013-01-04 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4561885

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
ramiedd - 2013-01-04 11:23 AM

I have a TV with a DVD play and will use movies or just put on bad TV with the Ipod.  I also have a music stand that I put my Ipad on and either play online poker or read books.  Biggest challenge is my new training plan/coach has me doing work that I have to concentrate at holding power or cadence which makes some of the reading and game playing tougher.  But, so far those haven't been anywhere near 3 hours long.

2013-01-04 11:26 AM
in reply to: #4562042

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
kenj - 2013-01-04 12:18 PM

rquinn23 - 2013-01-04 10:58 AM Definitely feeling like a slacker! Raining and windy this morning, and although I don't mind running in the rain I just couldn't get out the door. Brought my running clothes to work, though, so I think I'll head out for a noon run (which I never do, but I have to start getting mid-day runs in this year in preparation for IM Louisville). Then XFit after work. This weekend will get in a long run of 10 miles and hopefully a bike of 40 or so, though it is supposed to rain all weekend. Do any of you use a roller trainer for the bike? It's the only kind I have, and there is no way I could do longer than an hour on it. Usually I only do 30 minutes, though I think my longest is 45. It's tough to get a change in effort, so I try to just change gears and do intervals of harder effort and maybe some high-cadence spinning intervals.

I have had 2 crashes on my bike in the 6 or 7 years I have been doing this.  One was a minor crash on a slippery road doing a group ride in California when I was on a work project out there.  The other was in my basement on my rollers.  It is a good thing I wasn't hurt too bad as my wife was laughing too hard to offer any assistance!  I only drag them out once in a while.

That said, I have a good friend who only uses the rollers.  He is active on BT and wrote an article with an attached video that you can read and view here. He regularly rides them for several hours although personally I have no idea how he does it. 

In my opinion, the trainer gives you a better conditioning type workout, where the rollers give you a better bike handling type workout (which I failed miserably at!)

Knock on wood...I have only had 3 "crashes" in my tri life. One I was coming to a stop at a light and unclipped my right foot and leaned to the left. Luckily there were cars around and I felt like an idiot. Another was the same thing, only in my driveway. The third was my first year on a trainer. I failed to check if the rear wheel was secured before riding. Yea it wasn't. Popped off about 20min in and rode into the wall. Lol. Will never make that mistake again.

I've never used rollers and I'm not really sure I want to. 

2013-01-04 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4562055

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
kenj - 2013-01-04 11:21 AM

I have a TV with a DVD play and will use movies or just put on bad TV with the Ipod.  I also have a music stand that I put my Ipad on and either play online poker or read books.  Biggest challenge is my new training plan/coach has me doing work that I have to concentrate at holding power or cadence which makes some of the reading and game playing tougher.  But, so far those haven't been anywhere near 3 hours long.

LOL!  Now you know why I couldn't understand how you read/played poker on the trainer when I asked in our previous group!

2013-01-04 11:53 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Someone once told that most of the great athletes spend countless hours grinding the pedals on trainers, by themselves, staring at the wall.  So when I got my trainer, I decided mentally, I needed to be the kind of person capable of putting in boring trainer miles if I wanted to be good at this stuff!  So everytime I spend time on the trainer, I think of it as something that has to be done if I want to get where I want to be with this.  Sometimes, I just zone out and imagine passing countless folks who didn't have what it took to be on the trainer during those long winter hours, or stomping on my riding buddies who took the winter off!  It's cruel.....but works for me! Sealed
2013-01-04 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4562109

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Meulen - 2013-01-04 12:46 PM
kenj - 2013-01-04 11:21 AM

LOL!  Now you know why I couldn't understand how you read/played poker on the trainer when I asked in our previous group!

I knew, just didn't want to admit it! Cool

2013-01-04 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4561973

User image

New user
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-04 11:52 AM

zee744 - 2013-01-04 5:56 AM

My schedule is still pretty light compared to some. I'm doing about 30 miles on the bike Saturday and then some strength training and a long run Sunday of 4 miles. I'm training with my daughter for her first 10K in February. If I feel good afterwards I might add another mile or 2 but I'm not doing anything too long yet.

I woke up early to get my workout in 3 days in a row this week. Yea for me! I'm planning to get back to masters swim next week. That means a 5:00 wake up and a cold walk from the locker room to the pool (we swim outdoors). If I don't say anything about swimming next week someone needs to yell at me.

Well done getting in your early workouts this week! I have failed miserably in that area, but am glad to see you succeeded! When I start hitting the pool in February (gym membership won't start until then) I will need the same type of motivation for swimming. It's an indoor pool, but I am just not a fan of swimming laps, so I will need to hold myself accountable to the group!

2013-01-04 1:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

Beta test of a group racing calendar!  Okay, so I had a hard time focusing for a few minutes today so made a spreadsheet in googledocs.  I started doing a google calendar then realized that in order to edit it, everyone would have to have a Google account.  So who wants to give this a try? If so, go to this link, edit it how you want with your races and we can have a centralized place to see what is coming up.  If you want your races in there, but don't know how or don't want to edit the file, just tell me and I will put them in.  I didn't put anyone's races in but mine since this not a protected document (anyone who has the link below can see or change the spreadsheet), but then again, posting here isn't particularly private either....

I'm hoping someday this will be a function of the BT mentor groups, but baby steps for now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhbWu4ps3_dodDl4ZXdZNnFvWG9zb1lKb2RrTjZ5M3c#gid=3

2013-01-04 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4562329

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
bdenehy - 2013-01-04 1:10 PM

Beta test of a group racing calendar!  Okay, so I had a hard time focusing for a few minutes today so made a spreadsheet in googledocs.  I started doing a google calendar then realized that in order to edit it, everyone would have to have a Google account.  So who wants to give this a try? If so, go to this link, edit it how you want with your races and we can have a centralized place to see what is coming up.  If you want your races in there, but don't know how or don't want to edit the file, just tell me and I will put them in.  I didn't put anyone's races in but mine since this not a protected document (anyone who has the link below can see or change the spreadsheet), but then again, posting here isn't particularly private either....

I'm hoping someday this will be a function of the BT mentor groups, but baby steps for now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhbWu4ps3_dodDl4ZXdZNnFvWG9zb1lKb2RrTjZ5M3c#gid=3

I could play along.  I'll have to do it at home though. 

2013-01-04 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4562329

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
bdenehy - 2013-01-04 2:10 PM

Cool idea. Do we have to save somehow?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64