BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-06-02 10:48 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED
Originally posted by juneapple

Quick hi before celebrating my FIL's 80th birthday. Did a 5K on Saturday (with my FIL). Challenging course, was 159th out of 1193 participants, which is quite good for me. Was slow by runner's standards, but I'm not a runner!

This morning, did a pool sprint triathlon. Backed into a podium finish thanks to the top 2 participants in the 50-54 placing 3rd and 4th overall. Dang, they were fast. My time this year would have won my age group by 2 minutes last year, but this year it was 4th. No matter, was happy with my race. But wow, those two guys were fast. Clearly motivating for us gray guy/girls! Still lots of upside apparently!

Stu

Congratulations! Glad it went well for you! I understand about our age group being fast. The tri I did May 26 - the first place finisher was a 54 year old woman. That was impressive to me. Shows what can be done with the proper training no matter the age.

2013-06-03 12:10 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

Quick hi before celebrating my FIL's 80th birthday. Did a 5K on Saturday (with my FIL). Challenging course, was 159th out of 1193 participants, which is quite good for me. Was slow by runner's standards, but I'm not a runner!

This morning, did a pool sprint triathlon. Backed into a podium finish thanks to the top 2 participants in the 50-54 placing 3rd and 4th overall. Dang, they were fast. My time this year would have won my age group by 2 minutes last year, but this year it was 4th. No matter, was happy with my race. But wow, those two guys were fast. Clearly motivating for us gray guy/girls! Still lots of upside apparently!

Stu

Busy weekend for you with a 5K and a Tri! Nice job and congrats! Sounds like the gray guys/girls made a strong showing overall!
2013-06-03 12:30 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
wow great races Norma and Stu. I love to see folks older than me turning in fast times.....I like to imagine that will eventually be me. Have FB friend that just did an Ironman in Houston at 56. His weight went from 178 to 138 during his training period! Interesting cuz my son lost 30 pounds after quitting football and starting mountain bike team.

I think I lost two more pounds last week. I quit running. its causing too much weight loss with this IBS thing or what ever going on. I will keep swimming and riding however. Was thinking of using running slot to do a little more weight/resistance band/yoga stuff.

Thanks for asking the question about sore inner thighs in cycling. I too suffer from that a little. Cant figure out whats causing it either.

2013-06-03 12:33 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: The Week Ahead
Greetings all:

I hope you all had a great weekend. Post up your racing results and/or training if you have anything to share!

I had a pretty solid training week last week with about 9 hours of multi-sport work. I finished the week with an easy long run on Saturday (10.5 miles) and a steady longer ride (2 hours with 3 X 10 minute hard hill repeats) on Sunday. I'm racing an Olympic this Saturday, so I'll start pulling back on my training mid-week to rest up for the event.

I did a tempo run mid week that was pretty challenging which you might want to try. You can adjust time/intervals to suit your pace. I did a 20 minute warm up at an easy pace (8:15-8:30). That was followed with 4 X 6 minute repeats at my 10K race pace (6:50-7:00), each interval with a four minute recovery holding a solid training pace about 1 minute/mile below the 10K pace, finishing with a 15 minute cool down. Painful but in a good way and quite challenging, especially on the final 6 minute interval. The key is to make sure the interval pace is not too fast so you can hold the interval through all four as well as maintaining the recovery pace .

For me, this is the real start of race season, even though I've already done three Tri's and two Du's this year. Essentially, I've scheduled a key Sprint or Olympic race for every three weeks up to Age Group Nationals in August. My personal goal is to be able to again make the Age Group All American list...which means I'll need better race performances than what I've turned in so far in 2013.

Weight for me was 160.5 on the scale this morning....pretty close to where I need to be.

Have fun out there! Summer is here!

Steve
2013-06-03 12:39 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Weight this week - 145.8
2013-06-03 6:55 PM
in reply to: luv2bhealthy

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
weight this week 178

2013-06-03 8:51 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Weight this week - 257.3
2013-06-04 9:18 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
hoooo weight 128 this week.
2013-06-04 1:52 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Weight this week 203. Yes, I know, I'm moving in the wrong direction. Apparently too much strawberry pie this weekend (if there is such a thing!)
-Stu
2013-06-04 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Weight this week 203. Yes, I know, I'm moving in the wrong direction. Apparently too much strawberry pie this weekend (if there is such a thing!)
-Stu

Yummmmm! Strawberry pie!

Well, finally took a full day off on Sunday. I don't often have those. It was time and it felt really good. My class last night; 3 mile run and a spin class this morning. Gearing up for the Wounded Warrior Half this weekend. My last "big" event until fall. Trying to decide on one more tri to finish out the season plus another half marathon. I am always running some type of event. June 15 will be my first color run - Color Up!
2013-06-04 2:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Originally posted by dustytrails

Wow! That's 4 lbs. in a week! How are you doing that?

2013-06-04 2:55 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
I'm doing a wilderness challenge triathlon (Erwin Wilderness Challenge) this Saturday. Instead of swimming there's kayaking down the Cape Fear River (NC). I'm doing this one as a break from the swim, bike run routine and besides I can sit on my front porch and see the transition area. How cool is that, no early morning or travel. PLUS I have the homefield advantage, I've been kayaking the river, running and biking the course, I know where every pothole is, every dog dog that will chases bikes and where the water flows best across the rapids. I'm ready and can't wait. Only thing is this triathlon attracts lots of Special Forces Guys from Fort Bragg (20 miles away) so my goal is to stay out of everybody's way, finish, be safe and most of all have fun. There's a 10K that runs concurrent with the triathlon my wife has entered. After this I'll be doing the Triangle Triathlon July 20th.

2013-06-04 4:40 PM

Hi,
i am 56 year old female who would like to join your group. is that still possible?

thanks.

charlotte
2013-06-04 9:13 PM

User image

New user
Hard times at work may derail my "A" race Saturday.
I have worked a total of SEVEN - twelve hour shifts in a row. Today I was off, but I have to return to work for the rest of the week. At first I kept telling myself that it was going to be OK, just trust your training. But riding the bike this morning made me realize, I am tired.

So, I have been stewing over a plan to try to be in the best race shape under these circumstances on Saturday.

1. Rest - try to increase my nightly sleep by an hour. May even take a sleep aid because when I am this tired, I sleep poorly.
2. Reveiw what I have on my training plan and shorten the workouts. Make sure I have some "speed ups" in every workout. I need to wake up these legs.

I am open to any suggestions – other than quitting a job I enjoy. Any thoughts?
2013-06-04 11:22 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by juneapple Weight this week 203. Yes, I know, I'm moving in the wrong direction. Apparently too much strawberry pie this weekend (if there is such a thing!) -Stu

What?  You mean strawberry pie isn't a food group?

2013-06-05 12:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Kay Ewing

I have worked a total of SEVEN - twelve hour shifts in a row. Today I was off, but I have to return to work for the rest of the week. At first I kept telling myself that it was going to be OK, just trust your training. But riding the bike this morning made me realize, I am tired.

So, I have been stewing over a plan to try to be in the best race shape under these circumstances on Saturday.

1. Rest - try to increase my nightly sleep by an hour. May even take a sleep aid because when I am this tired, I sleep poorly.

2. Reveiw what I have on my training plan and shorten the workouts. Make sure I have some "speed ups" in every workout. I need to wake up these legs.

I remember back when I was swimming something similar happening.  Two weeks before the long course national championships, we were just starting our taper, so our focus was on 'easing up.'  Before workout, there was a group of us screwing around and I ended up with two broken fingers.

Sometimes, as Forest Gump said, S$%& happens.  First, absolutely trust your training.  You are only a few days before the race at this point so if this is one of your 'A' races you are likely deep into a taper already.  I would accelerate your taper a bit, enough to stay loose and get the blood flowing but far below what will actually tire you.  I would likely even take a day off completely from any type of training and the time I would have otherwise been training I would be resting.  Obviously get as much rest as you can over the next couple days.  Again, if you have been training properly, the fitness is already there.  The next most important thing is to get your head past what you perceive as a problem. If you are standing at the starting line on Saturday morning telling yourself how tired you are, you will have already conceded defeat.  You can let this be an obstacle or you can let this be a motivator.  That choice is yours alone.

Finally, this is one of your 'A' races.  I certainly wouldn't miss it.  I swam that nationals with broken fingers.  I also would not lower my expectations.  I wouldn't quit my job either.  Go to the race, have a good time, trust your training, and remind yourself, if you do the race right, your SUPPOSE to be tired when you cross the finish line!

Good luck and have a good race!

Edited by k9car363 2013-06-05 12:09 AM

2013-06-05 6:11 AM
in reply to: Kay Ewing

User image

Expert

Hi Kay,
What makes your situation a little tougher is that (I presume) you're in the midst of training for a 70.3 with an "A" sprint thrown in the middle. Toss in some very long work days and it is little wonder that you are tired.

The good news:
You've got plenty of training behind you for this Sprint. As they say, "the hay is in the barn" and you've got plenty of hay.
You love your job - I mean seriously, how many people can say that?
So the big picture is all good!

So, short-term strategy...
I think Scott has hit upon the mental aspects. Stuff always happens... weather, bad week, crashes the week before a race (happened to one of my other friends on BT), whatever. The question is always how do you adjust to it? For what it's worth, I usually try to have some kind of mantra for a race... usually unique to the race (and often stupid/silly) that gives me a mental focus for that morning.

On the physical, I'd say toss out the 70.3 training plan between now and the race and only do light workouts that you enjoy - nothing with any intensity at all - just light fun stuff. You've got plenty of training behind you, just do things that support you being fresher for the race. After the race you can dive back into the 70.3 training plan (but don't make up the "lost" workouts).

I'm all in support of your getting good sleep plan. Sleep/rest is really important for our mental and physical state of being. Usually a couple of good nights in a row and I can turn that fatigue corner. Hope you can too! So pull out the warm milk before bed or whatever works for you :-)

Good luck this weekend and have a blast!

Stu

2013-06-05 6:12 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by juneapple Weight this week 203. Yes, I know, I'm moving in the wrong direction. Apparently too much strawberry pie this weekend (if there is such a thing!) -Stu

What?  You mean strawberry pie isn't a food group?

It is at the top of my food pyramid, Scott! (at least the 3 weeks when strawberries are in season)
2013-06-05 9:03 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
No worries Stu, I have been going the wrong way also, sensing a big comeback week!!!

(Portly Tri 6-2-2013.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Portly Tri 6-2-2013.jpg (32KB - 12 downloads)
2013-06-05 3:04 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by luv2bhealthy

[/QUOTE

Been sick. Rode bike 12 miles this morning felt good. spose might weight will go back up now.
2013-06-05 5:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Originally posted by luv2bhealthy

[/QUOTE

Been sick. Rode bike 12 miles this morning felt good. spose might weight will go back up now.

Oh...well that's no good! Glad you are feeling better!

2013-06-05 5:18 PM
in reply to: charlotte hobbs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Originally posted by charlotte hobbs

Hi,
i am 56 year old female who would like to join your group. is that still possible?

thanks.

charlotte

Hey Charlotte! I don't have any problem with it, but I am not the mentor of the group. LOL There have been some that said they wanted to be part of the group, and we haven't heard from them since. So I vote "Welcome Aboard!"
2013-06-05 5:49 PM
in reply to: charlotte hobbs

User image

Regular
Originally posted by charlotte hobbs

Hi,

thanks.

charlotte

Hi Charlotte:

We're a pretty informal and welcoming gang here. You are quite welcome to join our group. Read back through the comments and then post your story so we can all get to know you better. We've got a weight loss challenge going as well, so, if you don't mind the somewhat public process of posting up your weight each week, you can get in on that, too.

Welcome to the forum.

Steve
2013-06-05 5:53 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

I remember back when I was swimming something similar happening.  Two weeks before the long course national championships, we were just starting our taper, so our focus was on 'easing up.'  Before workout, there was a group of us screwing around and I ended up with two broken fingers.

Sometimes, as Forest Gump said, S$%& happens.  First, absolutely trust your training.  You are only a few days before the race at this point so if this is one of your 'A' races you are likely deep into a taper already.  I would accelerate your taper a bit, enough to stay loose and get the blood flowing but far below what will actually tire you.  I would likely even take a day off completely from any type of training and the time I would have otherwise been training I would be resting.  Obviously get as much rest as you can over the next couple days.  Again, if you have been training properly, the fitness is already there.  The next most important thing is to get your head past what you perceive as a problem. If you are standing at the starting line on Saturday morning telling yourself how tired you are, you will have already conceded defeat.  You can let this be an obstacle or you can let this be a motivator.  That choice is yours alone.

Finally, this is one of your 'A' races.  I certainly wouldn't miss it.  I swam that nationals with broken fingers.  I also would not lower my expectations.  I wouldn't quit my job either.  Go to the race, have a good time, trust your training, and remind yourself, if you do the race right, your SUPPOSE to be tired when you cross the finish line!

Good luck and have a good race!

Well said, sir!
2013-06-05 7:11 PM

User image

Regular
Newport News
Great Chesapeake 4.4 Swim is this Sunday . I did 2 miles in the pool in 75 minutes, it is hard to maintain a pace that is slower than your normal workout pace. I'm planning to have an average between 37-41 minutes per mile, just don't want to go out to fast on the first 2 miles and have nothing left for the last 2.4 miles and have to take a boat ride to the finish . Rest of this week is easy maybe a short bike ride tomorrow. TNT will do its silent mile on Saturday morning will stop in Virginia Beach on way up eastern shore to join the team and run just 2 miles out and back. Swim has an early start this year , buses start leaving for star at 5:30 AM wave 1 is off at 8 AM.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37