BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2013-06-11 7:21 PM
in reply to: rgarcia1501

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN
It's great to see so many podium finishes here! Great job everyone!

Got in a 2hr ride today. I learned that I really need to work on my bike fitness.

- Joel

2013-06-11 7:49 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

New user

WSU
So question on filling out RR's. If one of the top place finishers is technically in your age group do you include them when you are doing rankings of your age groups? I.E. there were technically 8 participants in my 45-49 age group but I am 6/7 because the 3rd overall was also in my age group but doesn't show up in the age group splits. Should I record it as 7/8 or leave it as 6/7?

Also, in races that have relays, etc, do you normally record the actual overall placement or the one listed on the age group splits which I assume accounts for taking out the relays and adjusted for penalties? Overall was 60/101 but my age group sheet says 58. Except I do not know how they got 58 because I only see one relay team above me, and the penalties wouldn't have caused them to go below my time. Which I see gives me a 59 not a 58, unless there is another group that also doesn't count on age splits when doing that overall count?
2013-06-12 10:15 AM
in reply to: CWard

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Back to basics!

It's been a frustrating year so far. After an injury free and steady improvement year one, I had high hopes for my 2nd yr as a triathlete. But injury (hip flexor due to a sudden movement when jogging, shoulder due to trip to Disney carrying my 4 and 2 yr old, and sickness(1st time in over 2 yrs that I get the flu) have create havoc! I have done 2 races so far, a sprint in April and an Oly in June. I was in no shape to do either, but decided to do them anyway (part overconfidence, part stupidity, part was already signed up, part no expectations). Needless to say, results were pitiful.

Worse part is that by trying to "catch" up in my fitness, I ramped up too fast from injury down time to full training week - not the best to rebuild my lost base. All this also created a lack of motivation and more missed workouts...

Good news: Healthy now. My A race is still more than 3 months away (September 29). I have a small sprint in July 4th that I want to do for fun (my tri club members will do the race wearing USA speedos...cannot say no to that one!); but will treat it as a long brick and also an opportunity to test my fitness vs. last year (this is the first race I will be repeating from last year.)

I began training this week as if it was my first week of training...short MAF runs, shorter rides and pool sessions, ramping up slowly (following 10% rule for runs).  And will decide if I do the sprint or Oly for my A race as we approach the date. If I decide for the sprint, then will move my A race to an Oly in November.

Just have to remind myself...slow and steady...slow and steady. Did a good job of that last year, not so much this year.

2013-06-12 2:01 PM
in reply to: Samyg

User image

New user
Madrid
Inspirational comments, very specially for beginners (not everything in tri-life is a happy face!). Not always we may reach our goal as planned, but consistency and mid- long-term vision is crucial. Today I bought Friel´s Training Bible in a trip to Dubai, so much to learn!!
2013-06-14 9:29 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Try my Brooks Pure Cadence this morning for the first time. Felt great! Found myself mid-striking more easily (at least I think that I was mid-striking). Did 1 mile and wanted to do more but decided to listen to the advice of people in the know, so change shoes and did another 3 miles in my regular shoes.

After: No aches and pains (was specifically worried about calves); so cannot wait to try them again. Will do another 1 mile before moving up to 2.

2013-06-16 9:03 AM

User image

Regular

Wasn't able to get on here all week, but looks like some great race reports.  Congrats to everyone.  

Did my first run TT on Wednesday this week and crashed and burned with about 8 minutes to go.  I guess I was overoptimistic on the pace I could go.

Did 56 on the bike yesterday averageing 20.6 so it felt real good, then I was supposed to do 13.1 on my run this morning, but was pretty tired from the bike yesterday and I called it a day at 9.36 and an average at 7:42.  But I was struggling the whole way.  Almost got attacked by a German Shepherd at the 4.5 mile point.  Good thing I've always owned German Shepherds and knew how to handle the situation.  It was interesting because it looked like a truck pulling a boat had broken down at the entrance to a housing subdivision and the dog was protecting the truck.  When I started yelling at the dog to back up and facing him with my hand out and slowly backing up, I expected someone to yell at the dog from near the truck, but no one was around.  So I continued to back up yelling at the dog with confidence until he went back to the truck.  Interesting situation, thank God no incedent.  

This week heading to the upper penisula of Michigan for my parents 50th wedding anniversary.  Weather looks good lows 50s highs in the 70's which is way better than this Texas weather.

Hope everyone has a good week.

2013-06-16 4:05 PM
in reply to: mharvey642

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Finished out a busy week in style.

Thursday night I decided to do an Xterra on Saturday for fun. After my OWS practice on Thurs, went home and started getting some things together. Friday morning I got up, packed the car and drove 6 1/2 hours to the race site. I decided to camp to save money, so I got everything set up and pre-rode the course with a few other racers. Got up Saturday and raced my way a 2:03:45 finish (800 swim, 11 mi. mtb, 4.5 trail run) that put me in 18th overall and 1st AG finish. I felt very good about my run. Drove home. Today, put in 2 hrs. 50 min. on the bike.

I have another big training week this week with double almost every day and a bike/run brick Tuesday and Saturday.

Happy training everyone! It's good to see lots of progress!

- Joel

(Just posted full race report as well: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... )
2013-06-17 12:07 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user

WSU
RR done : http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

ETA : Signed up for next race also. Hayden, ID on July 13.

Edited by CWard 2013-06-17 12:10 AM
2013-06-17 8:09 AM
in reply to: CWard

User image

Miami
Congrats on the AG win Joel!!

Weekend was good for me as I accomplished my training goals. 65 mile bike ride on Saturday and 1.4 mile swim plus 10 mile run on Sunday. I need to start running a little bit after my long bike rides to prepare for my HIM, but so far I am just happy being able to finish the ride with the group (I go with a group of roaddies and we they go fast) and being able to run comfortably on Sunday.

Today is my rest day!!
2013-06-17 8:12 AM
in reply to: mharvey642

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Originally posted by mharvey642

Almost got attacked by a German Shepherd at the 4.5 mile point.  Good thing I've always owned German Shepherds and knew how to handle the situation.  It was interesting because it looked like a truck pulling a boat had broken down at the entrance to a housing subdivision and the dog was protecting the truck.  When I started yelling at the dog to back up and facing him with my hand out and slowly backing up, I expected someone to yell at the dog from near the truck, but no one was around.  So I continued to back up yelling at the dog with confidence until he went back to the truck.  Interesting situation, thank God no incedent.  

This week heading to the upper penisula of Michigan for my parents 50th wedding anniversary.  Weather looks good lows 50s highs in the 70's which is way better than this Texas weather.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Dogs make for some of my most interesting runs! When I visit family near Nashville, I am always battling dogs when I go running. I yell and haven't had any problem apart from being chased. I've thought about carrying some type of stick, but decided not to.

Also, I love the UP. There's lots of good running territory up there. I really like running down a dirt road and running until it ends, then running some more. Have a good time up there!
2013-06-17 8:09 PM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Race week!!! Week two of the taper has me lethargic. My achilles is far from 100% so it will be an interesting 13 miles on Sunday. Weather in Williamsburg looks to be in the mid 80s during the race and extra humid. Water temp at about 80 degrees. Have very mixed emotions about my training and my conditioning. Having not trained at all in the heat and humidity I will suffer a lot. This will be one to get through so I will do my best to enjoy it. Should be a fun family getaway and will be doing Busch Gardens, Water Country USA and Colonial WIlliamsburg post race.

2013-06-17 8:23 PM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Expert
Originally posted by JoePetto

Race week!!! Week two of the taper has me lethargic. My achilles is far from 100% so it will be an interesting 13 miles on Sunday. Weather in Williamsburg looks to be in the mid 80s during the race and extra humid. Water temp at about 80 degrees. Have very mixed emotions about my training and my conditioning. Having not trained at all in the heat and humidity I will suffer a lot. This will be one to get through so I will do my best to enjoy it. Should be a fun family getaway and will be doing Busch Gardens, Water Country USA and Colonial WIlliamsburg post race.

Joe even with the light training you should be good. You Achilles will loosen up during the race, and hurt like heck after. I love Williamsburg area. I lived in Yorktown for two Summers when I was in college. Its a great family place.
2013-06-18 6:10 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Thanks all for your advice on dealing with ear infection. I was able to get some over-the-counter ear drops with antibiotic at the pharmacy and after 3 days I was in good shape to swim again.

Mike, glad to hear you came out well from your incident with the dog and congrats on your parents 50th anniversary, big milestone!

Joe, talking about dogs, how is your wife doing and anything new from your medical exams? Good luck on your race on Sunday I'm sure you will do great!

Chupacabra, congratulations on your Xterra race and winning your AG, well done!

Chris, good race and race report!

I used TrainerRoad for the 1st time last night and did the 20 min test workout. That was a tough workout but it seems like a great tool so far, is anyone here using it?

2013-06-18 7:45 PM
in reply to: sirgab

User image

Expert
Thanks, Gabe. Wife is doing better. Pins out and has started rehab. Not happy with scarring. Since we were contacted by the dog owner's insurance carrier, we had to lawyer up. Nothing worse than two lawyers needing to retain counsel. I once represented myself - never again.
2013-06-18 8:23 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Originally posted by JoePetto Race week!!! Week two of the taper has me lethargic. My achilles is far from 100% so it will be an interesting 13 miles on Sunday. Weather in Williamsburg looks to be in the mid 80s during the race and extra humid. Water temp at about 80 degrees. Have very mixed emotions about my training and my conditioning. Having not trained at all in the heat and humidity I will suffer a lot. This will be one to get through so I will do my best to enjoy it. Should be a fun family getaway and will be doing Busch Gardens, Water Country USA and Colonial WIlliamsburg post race.

Joe, I am heading to Williamsburg over the weekend too. My brother and sister live in Washington DC, and we decided to meet there to celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary. is there a HM or marathon going on this weekend?

2013-06-19 3:21 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
I had a similar experience running on a wild beach in Colombia. Went on a business trip, and tried to go for a run on the beach in front of my hotel. While enjoying the great view, empty beach and listening to my music, suddenly 3 very hungry dogs that came from nowhere where after me. I sprinted as much as I could, went in the water and followed, out again yelling at them, until I found a stick on the floor and could get rid of them. My worst experience running. So, where did I run next day? Exactly! Hotel gym (boring)

2013-06-19 3:21 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
I had a similar experience running on a wild beach in Colombia. Went on a business trip, and tried to go for a run on the beach in front of my hotel. While enjoying the great view, empty beach and listening to my music, suddenly 3 very hungry dogs that came from nowhere where after me. I sprinted as much as I could, went in the water and followed, out again yelling at them, until I found a stick on the floor and could get rid of them. My worst experience running. So, where did I run next day? Exactly! Hotel gym (boring)
2013-06-19 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Samyg

Originally posted by JoePetto Race week!!! Week two of the taper has me lethargic. My achilles is far from 100% so it will be an interesting 13 miles on Sunday. Weather in Williamsburg looks to be in the mid 80s during the race and extra humid. Water temp at about 80 degrees. Have very mixed emotions about my training and my conditioning. Having not trained at all in the heat and humidity I will suffer a lot. This will be one to get through so I will do my best to enjoy it. Should be a fun family getaway and will be doing Busch Gardens, Water Country USA and Colonial WIlliamsburg post race.

Joe, I am heading to Williamsburg over the weekend too. My brother and sister live in Washington DC, and we decided to meet there to celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary. is there a HM or marathon going on this weekend?

I'm doing the Rev3 HIM on Sunday. Start is at Jamestown Beach and the finish is at William and Mary campus. We are staying at Kingsmill.
2013-06-19 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Originally posted by JoePetto
Originally posted by Samyg

I'm doing the Rev3 HIM on Sunday. Start is at Jamestown Beach and the finish is at William and Mary campus. We are staying at Kingsmill.

LOL. We are staying in Kingsmill too. Maybe will buy you a beer after the race to celebrate. Much to my chagrin, my family will probably want to stay away from Williamsburg on Sunday, doing either water country or Busch Gardens that day. I am arriving Thursday night and leaving monday. I'll PM my cel phone, lets see if we can meet at least for a quick drink.

2013-06-20 10:30 AM

User image

Indianapolis, Indiana
Hey guys!

Had a good "last run" this week, finally broke the 22:00 5k time, finished 21:53 and 2nd in my AG. Tried pushing out hard and seeing how long i could hold, instead of "holding some back". 6:17 first mi, was at 13:34 after 2. Running has been my weak point for a while, as my body has trained for sprints all my life (ran the 100m/4x100/long jump in track, played runningback in HS/College) and i'm still trying to strike that balance of pace, speed, etc.

In other news, i'm essentially falling off of the face of the internet today, as i'm flying out to Ft. Lewis, WA tomorrow for a month for Army training. Of course, that means no phone, no computer, no internet for the entire month, so i'll essentially disappear. Worst part about it is not having a chance to get in the water or bike much, and our running won't be as consistent or beneficial as i'd want... so I'm gonna have to work hard to find a way to keep in shape over the month so i'm good going into August races. Anyway, you guys are awesome, and i'll be back in a month

Good luck to everybody racing at Williamsburg!
2013-06-22 5:57 AM
in reply to: flyingpenguin

No racing. we are in Ottawa, Canada so no bike either. I am swimming in public pools and running.

Our 18 year old son just completed his first race - a 10 K. He came in 4th in his AG. Over the past year, he has lost 70 pounds. He really wants to eat healthy food and be fit. He is now weighing 130 giving him a BMI of about 19. Long, long story .... but he is at a therapeutic boarding school.
Question: can anyone recommend a book about healthy nutrition and endurance sports? I would like to send it to him because staff is a little concerned that he is losing too much weigh. He is now training for a half marathon.

2013-06-22 7:54 AM
in reply to: charlotte hobbs

User image

Expert
Originally posted by charlotte hobbs

No racing. we are in Ottawa, Canada so no bike either. I am swimming in public pools and running.

Our 18 year old son just completed his first race - a 10 K. He came in 4th in his AG. Over the past year, he has lost 70 pounds. He really wants to eat healthy food and be fit. He is now weighing 130 giving him a BMI of about 19. Long, long story .... but he is at a therapeutic boarding school.
Question: can anyone recommend a book about healthy nutrition and endurance sports? I would like to send it to him because staff is a little concerned that he is losing too much weigh. He is now training for a half marathon.

I will try to find it, so I can give you the authors name. but I read nutrition for marathoners. It was really good and went into all aspects for nutrition for endurance athletes. It was also very common sense and fit into societal norms of eating during training, pre-race and during the race.

Having been in the group long enough to know your son's story, I am so happy to hear about his progress. I deal with people who have similar issues and I think your tough decision saved your son's life.
2013-06-22 10:07 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by charlotte hobbs

I will try to find it, so I can give you the authors name. but I read nutrition for marathoners. It was really good and went into all aspects for nutrition for endurance athletes. It was also very common sense and fit into societal norms of eating during training, pre-race and during the race.

Having been in the group long enough to know your son's story, I am so happy to hear about his progress. I deal with people who have similar issues and I think your tough decision saved your son's life.

X2 here Charlotte, very happy to hear about the great progress your son has achieved to date!
2013-06-22 10:15 AM

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Jordan, good job with your 5k time and good luck during your month of Army training, hopefully you will be able to get some training in!

Joe, best of luck tomorrow on your Rev3 70.3 race and let us know how it goes, I'm sure you will do well!

I'm flying out to Taiwan tomorrow to attend the Food Taipei Expo. Unfortunately, its right during my peak training week for my upcoming Vineman 70.3 tri, so I'm hoping I can at least get some runs in Taipei.

Have a great weekend everyone!
2013-06-22 7:52 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, The book is Nancy Clark's Food Guide for Marathoners.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 21