BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Betsy's Tri-BAMFs Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2007-04-03 7:46 PM
in reply to: #747667

User image

Subject: RE: Betsy's Group - FULL
Ok whats up with the " GOOD JOB LADIES " comment......lol.........thanks betsy....xooxoxoxo

2007-04-04 8:32 AM
in reply to: #633528

User image

Hey Y'all - everybody is doing awesome!! I am so proud of y'all and everyone's hard work! Thanks to everyone for the inspiration! It is much appreciated! Matt did a sprint tri over the weekend and I am getting so anxious to start my training back!! I am supposed to do my first one on May 5th!!

Question for anyone that knows anything about the human body:

I have this knotty thing on my leg about the size of a small summer squash - does anybody know what this would be? blood built up or something else? Matt and I are trying
to decide if I should have it looked at.

I made Matt take a pic of the wound Sunday night to show my mom. If you are interested in seeing it...lol... click on here. i have to warn you, IT IS NOT PRETTY!!! If you have a weak stomach - DO NOT CLICK!!

http://www.carrietyrone.com/bike%20wreck%202.jpg

I am soooo ready to help y'all reach our April goals!!!

Carrie
2007-04-04 12:18 PM
in reply to: #748298

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-04-09 7:16 PM

2007-04-10 1:09 PM

2007-04-10 3:54 PM

Regular
We all have some work to do! BTW, I decided to sign up for a Rookie Tri on May 12th. It's actually a mini-tri and an event I'm going to use to work on transitions. In Texas we have what are called Ski Ranches where you can ski in a man-made lake around a suspended track and without a boat. Anyway, the New Braunfels Ski Ranch is holding this event and it's in a beautiful location with great views for the ride and wonderful running trails. I'm very excited...this will be my first official triathlon. I have a 5k coming up on April 28th and I will be able to officially say that I'll have met one of first short-term goals on my home page! Woo, hoo!

Keep training hard!

2007-04-10 6:27 PM

Good luck with your mini-Tri, Shef!

Sorry, Ladies and GENTLEMAN, I've been really out of touch. I have a couple of big house projects coming up and it's taking my extra time. But you are all doing really great and I will work hard to keep UP my running totals so I don't let down the team!

This is my last big week of swim training before my team triathlon then I'll do a moderate week next week. To be honest, I've been slacking and missing my 3 day a week swimming goal. But I am swimming harder and more when I do go so that feels good.

Keep up the awesome training everyone!

Rene
2007-04-12 7:30 AM
in reply to: #756195

Hello everyone!

I'm so sore!!! lol, i've been doing much better with all this. I'm a little behind this week and have some running from last week to make up for but I'm going strong! How is everyone else doing?

Good luck!

-Jessie
2007-04-12 7:40 AM

Hey everyone I hope all is well. My workouts have been hit and miss.....I have sick last week and this week. I am hoping that this will pass soon so I can get back on track. What ever I caught is now all sinus and has worked its way to my voice. Not that people who know me mind, they all say its time something shuts me up. Keep up the good work...............xooxoxoxxo
2007-04-12 4:30 PM

2007-04-13 3:37 PM

2007-04-13 7:21 PM

OK, everyone who's sick, get well right now! It's spring, no one's s'posed to be sick in the spring, right? OK, I know it doesn't feel like spring out there for some, but it says so on the calendar.

I am stepping one step closer to my first Tri. The first one is a tri-relay, I'm swimming. Tonight I'm planning a near race pace swim so I can see how good (or bad) I really am for 800m. Tomorrow the race sponsors are hosting a get to know the course and triathlon 101 sessions, so that will be cool.

Wish me luck tonight - my goal is 25 mins or less (really slow but that's my fast!).

Rene
2007-04-14 8:54 AM

2007-04-14 10:04 PM

Regular
Hey Group!!

Sorry I've been MIA recently... I've been getting a lot of my school/summer plans set up. I'll be working in Boston for the majority of the summer, so I've got to figure out how to ship my bike out there. I'm going to really work hard this summer; I want to come back in the fall and be a dangerous competitor!! :D

Nationals is NEXT SATURDAY!!!!!!!! We leave on Thursday for Alabama. (Check out http://www.usatriathlon.org/UsatEvents/2007NationalChampionships/20... )
I'm in the 8th wave, fourth and final woman's wave, followed by two more men's waves and the alumni wave. (We're red caps! Is it silly how excited I am about having a new swim cap?? My current 3-year old one is a zebra striped one...)

I'm really really NERVOUS. But incredibly excited. My team puts a lot of pressure on SPEED and PLACEMENT, but I'm trying to stay focused on my own experience. This will be my FIRST OLYMPIC DISTANCE TRI and they can kiss my well-toned (hey, I've been working hard this month!) if I'm going to only care about my time. If I finished LAST, I'm going to have a good time and I'm going to cross that finish line having giving it my best and with a gigantic smile on my face. I love this sport, and I'm racing for me!

2007-04-16 8:50 AM

Regular
Good luck! The swim cap is NOT silly, I can't wait to get my Danskin cap...it's the little things that excite me. You guys inspire me everyday that I read your blogs so keep it coming. Betsy, I was thinking about names for our group but I'm out of ideas. I've been writing an article for a trade magazine over the past week and writers block has me brain dead. Anyone else have a suggestion? I had an awesome weekend of training. I rode on Sunday in grogeous 72 degree, sunny weather! I love my bike. Today I had my best run ever (posted on my training log). My goal this week is to complete 4 miles in under 50 minutes. I'm strong enought to do it, I just need to keep telling my legs not to stop!

A friend of mine finished the Cactus Olympic Tri this weekend and has me totally inspired! She said the oldest participant was a 76 year old man and he completed all 3 legs in under 3 hours! Amazing...if he can do it so can I. I also had good news from my girl friend who is battling breast cancer. Chemo has strunk the tumor significantly and her CT scans have come back clear (no cancer detected in other organs). She sent pics of her bald head this morning but even without hair she looks amazing. Her positive attitude and her fighting spirit is another inspiration to keep me going. God is good.

Keep training hard and my everyone have a blessed week!
2007-04-16 6:24 PM

Happy Monday, Everyone!

My "test" swim went great Friday night: 22 minutes to do 800m even with a little breather to say hello to a "teammate" in the middle! That is enough under my 25 min goal that I've decided not to let any ocean currents scare me!

I'll be swimming the first leg of a team tri this Sunday. It's in a calm bay but there will be some tidal action. One more practice planned (in the ocean--brrrrr!)

QUESTION: I tried on several tri wetsuits and there were all too small or not the right fit. I ended up buy a new-looking used surfer wetsuit (no rubber exterior) for over half the price of the tri suits. I have heard that these are a bad idea. Any thoughts? Does the rubber make that big of a difference?

Christina, I totally understand your excitement and it's contageous! I really love this sport too, even though I haven't even raced yet. It's just so great to move from couch potato (for me) towards getting proficient at 3 different sports...some day I'll get there. But I agree that having lots of fun in the meantime is the most important thing! Good luck with your race!!!

Shef, glad to hear your friend is getting better. Good luck with your running goal!

Hope everyone's feeling better now.

Rene

2007-04-16 6:29 PM

2007-04-16 6:32 PM

Oh, that bad, huh? OK, I'll keep shopping... thanks...
2007-04-17 8:04 AM

Regular
Ok, will I ever get through a 200 meter swim without being out of breath? Will I survive an open water swim? Is it my age (turn 36 Friday ). I'm swimming 3 days a week but I've only had 1 good day when I felt it all came together. I'm beginning to really worry about my swimming capabilities. It's not that I can't swim, I just can't keep going. I'm no where close to an 800 meter swim and I only have 7 weeks to go. I'm invovled in a Saturday morning coached swim class but still no improvement. HELP!

I'm starting to hear horror stories of women that didn't make the swim and were pulled out of the race all together. I can't imagine the disappointment I would feel. I recognize that I'm a rookie and have never competed in anything like this before...not even a fun run but I've been trianing since last October. I guess anxiety is starting to set in and doubt is getting the best of me.

2007-04-17 12:25 PM
in reply to: #764428

2007-04-17 1:13 PM

I definitely agree with Betsy. You WILL get there. I was (and still am) sometimes frustrated with my swimming progress. But it's a tough sport that required full body and aerobic conditioning. It's not your age--we can teach ourselves new tricks at any age, it just takes a little bit longer.

Hang in there, Shef, especially by swimming 3 times a week. That will pay off over time. Also, try some weight training of shoulder, chest and back muscles which are traditionally weak for women. That seemed to help me.

The breathing kills me too. I try to do alternate breathing (every third stroke) for 25m, then I switch back to every 2 stroke for the next 25m if I'm out of breath or wobbly.

One more thing...don't forget to take breaks! Short breaks really help--every practice doesn't have to be all out lap work.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Rene

2007-04-17 2:02 PM

2007-04-17 2:06 PM

2007-04-17 2:07 PM