Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-01-04 1:15 PM
in reply to: #633528

New user

Chicago
Subject: RE: Betsy's Group - OPEN
Hi Betsy-

Would love to join your group. I have never done a tri or been extremely athletic. I am in good physical shape, just never anything beyong the gym or yoga. I am excited to particuipate in a tri and hope that it will boost my fitness level. I am currently signed up to do the "my first tri" in Atlanta on May 5th.

Any help you can give is appreciated! I am just trying to figure out where to start!!
2007-01-04 3:15 PM

2007-01-05 3:43 AM

Regular
Hi Betsy!

My name's Christina, and I'd like to have you as my mentor. I've been struggling to stay motivated as of late, and I could really use some encouragement from others.

I'm 20 and a junior at U of A in Tucson, AZ. I joined UA's triathlon team, the TriCats, late November. I'm planning on participating in the Tucson Tri on March 11, sprint distance. I don't really care about my time (yes I do!), and I just want to finish (but I'd like to do well for a beginner.)

My athletic background:
I. Love. Running. I've been a runner my entire life-- half marathons are my favorite distances, but I've got marathons on my mind. I love pushing my body to new distances.

I am not a swimmer. Oh, boy, I am not a swimmer. I can complete all the TriCats workouts, but at a very slow pace. (For example, I was elated that after 3 weeks of swimming 2-3 times a week, I was able to go from swimming 25m at a time to 200m at a time, before I felt like I really had to stop and catch my breath.)

Cycling... I have absolutely no footing in this sport. I've put in minimal miles on an old mountain bike and recently purchased a new road bike... but I know nothing about cycling-- nothing beyond the most basic motivation of shifting gears ("Ah, this is hard"--shift--"This feels better.") I could use any and ALL sorts of pointers when it comes to cycling. Even recommendations to other websites would be appreciated.

I'm competitive, normally motivated, positive, and I'm looking for positive support and guidance... (I confess, I haven't gotten that sort of treatment from the veteran TriCat athletes.)

I'd love to be a part of your group!

2007-01-05 1:17 PM

Regular
Hi Betsy! My name is Stacey and after reading everyone's bio, I think I will fit well into this group.

I'm a 35 year old mother of two VERY active boys (10 and 5 years old) and happily married for 12 years....somedays more than others. Anyway, I've always been fit and active, but began looking for a bigger challenge this past fall. Several women that I work with participated in the Danskin mini-tri here in Austin, Texas last year and after hearing of their experience, I was ready to jump in. Boy did I take on a HUGE challenge, but I also decided to participate in honor of my Mom who is a 15 year survivor of breast cancer...she's going to be my biggest fan!

To clarify fit and active, I exercise 3 days a week (3 miles on the bike and 3.5 on the tred) and train with weights 2 days a week. I'm an early riser and love to get up in the am and hit the trails. I swim, but I've never done it competitively and same goes for the bike, I ride with my kids but that's about it. Running is probably my strongest sport at this point. So, in a nut shell, I'm very much a beginner and needs tips, information, etc. I've explored other websites but get lost in all the "tri" lengo/language. HELP!

As a side note, the local YMCA in downtown Austin has an indoor pool and a beginner tri-training class that I will be joining to help kick start this process. The 2007 Danskin date is not set yet, but it usually falls at the end of May or first part of June. My focus right now is to build my cardi and nutrition program.

I have a lot to do to prepare and feel that finding a mentor and a group of folks to hold me accountable and provide support will help tremendously. I would love to be mentored...words of encouragement go a loooong way!
2007-01-05 1:52 PM
in reply to: #643036

2007-01-05 1:54 PM
in reply to: #643732

2007-01-06 6:12 AM

Veteran
Newark, Delaware
Hi Betsy,

If there's still room left, I'd love to join your group.  It seems like I'd fit in with my background.  This is my first year with triathlon, but I've been running for forever (since high school).  I want to focus this year on building base to be competitive with long-distance triathlons.  I got started in triathlon because I kept getting injured during marathon training, which is partly my own fault because I think I increased mileage too quickly.  I've got two lined up this year, but I'm going to focus on tri training with long runs, as I think that will help increase my aerobic base but with less pounding on my legs.  I'm signed up for the Philly Oly in June, and I've got my eye on the Delaware Diamondman in September, unless something better comes along at that time.

I started swimming in November, and have gotten better, but I'm still winded after a long set.  I can definately use some help with my form - but I get so bored doing drills!  I'm going to join the master's swim team at my Y this month, so I think that will help.  I just purchased a road bike and trainer, so I've got all the gear I need.

I'm single and 28, so I've got all the time I need to train (except for watching the dog...he does tend to get lonely!).  I figure this is the only time in my life that I'll have this much time to train, so I might as well for full force now and see what I can do.  Last year I did two half marathons, a 10K and a couple 5Ks.  I just finisihed my master's and relocated, so I didn't get serious until after June.  I'm also trying to lose about 15 pounds to get down to what I call "fighting weight", but it's going very slowly .

Look forward to speaking with you all!

2007-01-06 7:03 AM
in reply to: #644526

2007-01-06 7:05 AM

2007-01-07 6:46 PM

Hello everyone! I would like to join this group, if its not full.

I am brand-new to this website so I've got some learning to do there as well.

NAME: Jessie
STORY: I'm 22, I live in Atlanta, GA, going to GA Tech. I am alllllllmmmmmosssttttt done with school and so excited. I have been a swimmer (I felt like this group needed one! ) my entire life, competed for 11 years but not since I've been in college. I miss the competition and thrill of a good race.
FAMILY STATUS: Its just me, my roommate (whos glued to her boyfriend) and my awesome dog Sierra.
CURRENT TRAINING: 7 days a week. I also wait tables so I tend to count that as something, lol. I swim 1000m to a mile each swim, varying my sets for strength, endurance, etc). I just bought a Felt F80 so I've been getting into cycling more and more. I absolutely love it. I've done lots of 20 mile trips and a couple of 40 milers. Gu is tough on my stomach so I'm looking for an alternative. And then theres running. yeah...I just don't. I hate it. Thats really where I need some help.
LAST YEARS RACES: none, just started.
2007 RACES: I'm doing a Sprint designed for First timers in Sarasota, FL on Feb 4. I'm super duper excited. I make my roommate help me with practice transitions in our apartment, lol. (I might be a little toooo into this)
WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to lose about 10 lbs but I don't think about it. I just really watch my eating and the training will take care of it. I just started back training hard about a week ago.

Can't wait to get started! (I might need help with the training log--I literally just joined this site.)

THANKS!
-Jessie
2007-01-08 2:40 PM

2007-01-08 3:43 PM

Betsy,

Thanks. I'm actually here for running help. I'm the most awful runner ever. Usually, after I run, regardless of when I eat/what I eat/how much water I've had I end up throwing up. (Sorry, I know its gross). I hate every step of it.

HELP!

I've just gotten back into training and I've been logging, I'll add you as a friend now and all I generally try to run is an 8-9 minute mile and every time...get sick.

Thanks,
-Jessie
2007-01-08 4:19 PM

New user

Chicago
Hi Jessie-

OK- I have joined the site to help me in my first tri event but you mentioned the product GU and I just had to share! I work for Clif Bar and they have an outstanding product similiar to GU. It is Clif Shot, not sure if you have tried it but it is made from natural ingredients and organic. Comes in a variety of flavors. We also make the same prodcut in a blok, called Shot Blok. Same produt but in a gummy form. Maybe this would be easier on your stomach.

I would be happy to send you some samples if you send me a PM with your address. All our products are available at Sport Retail stores everywhere!

I am doing the tri because everyone at work is so athletic (as you can imagine)! I use all of our products and can tell you they are made with athletics in mind!

ps- I lived in Atlanta for 10 years! My family still lives there!

2007-01-08 6:35 PM

Hi Betsy:

Is there still room in your group? If so, I'd like to join. My name is Irene or Rene (pronounced "reen"), age 43, partnered, no kids. Last fall, a cycling friend and I said, "let's do a tri!" So here I am.

I used to love to run but haven't done it in about 10 years. Love to cycle but I've been on the couch more than the bike lately. I just started swimming (as in "just"...one workout!).

My one goal this year is to do a triathlon, maybe even hit the midpoint of my age group!

I look forward to any advice you can share.

Rene
2007-01-08 10:49 PM

Hey Betsy - hoping there's still room!! My name is Carrie and I live in Mississippi - no kids, no dogs, but have plants!

Why TRI'S?? My husband found the sport yesterday and after going to watch him, I saw all these kids and thought - wait, if they can do it, what is MY excuse?? His goal this year is a half iron man in September. My goal - to be physically fit to complete a sprint tri. (God gave me a muscular body and I have covered some of those muscles with some "padding")

Well, compared to all of y'all... I feel really behind. I am 28 and used to be athletic back in the day. Biking - I have a road bike that I have been riding for a few months and really enjoy it. I am up to riding about 25-30 miles on a good day. Running - let's just say that it is not my strong suit and could really use some help - perhaps I am not stretching properly before hand?? Swimming - spent ever summer in a pool (jumped in at age one), but there was never an opportunity to swim competitively. Have located an indoor pool to train.

Challenges: I travel Monday-Thursdays away from home and keep a trainer with me for my spinning on my bike. (I stay with my parents a lot). I get back to the house after dark and my parents' treadmill isn't the best - the belt catches when I jog.

I know I can do it... just need some pushing and cheers!! Look forward to watching my other group members succeeding and welcome ALL suggestions from everyone.

2007-01-09 9:26 AM

Hi Betsy:

I am a beginner at this and would love to try to train for a TRI coming up in March in Florida. Not sure if that is enough time but willing to try. I am 33, married and I have one daughter. I used to run 10K's when I was a lot younger but gave it up because of a back problem. I now ride my bike on average 7 miles per day but I know I will need to a lot more than that to train for a triathlon. Swimming is not a strong suit but I do have a pool. I have all the time needed to devote to this but I have no idea where to start and how hard I should be training.

I would appreciate any help you can give me as I am feeling lost right now.
Thanks,
Sara
2007-01-09 9:53 AM

I am 38yo firefighter paramedic in the nw burbs of chicago. I have began training for my first sprint tri in august in naperville. I have been working out for the past several years. After getting bicep tendonitis while at work I took the month of december off. Jan 2 I hit the gym hard. I love lifting weights and did the normal 20-30 carido prior to january. I am currently doing 20 min on the treadmill followed by 20 on the bike. Yesterday I was happy to hit .5 miles of consistant running. Total running in that time was .75 of a mile. Running is not my favorite thing to do. I love to bike and in fact would love to do RAGBRI in Iowa. Swimming I love to swim but I definately need to begin to incorporate that into my program as well. I have began a workout log provided here on the website. It is nice to see it all listed down. I would like to join your group for the support needed on those days when I get frustrated with my progress. I have always battled my weight. I try to follow the south beach lifestyle, I do pretty good with that until I am work. The firehouse food is horrible.....lol....actually tastes good horrible for the training program. Around September I weighed 271, I am currently 247. My goals for this year are to drop to 15-18% bodyfat. Run a 5k by the end of may. Sprint triatholon in August.

Being a newbie to racing I will have all kinds of abnoxious questions. I would love to be a member of your group.

Thanks Eric
2007-01-09 3:10 PM

2007-01-09 3:14 PM
in reply to: #646844

2007-01-09 3:47 PM

Edited by betsy 2007-01-09 3:49 PM
2007-01-09 4:48 PM

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Betsy's Group - FULL
I'd like to join this group if you still have room for one more gal? I'll post my brief tri story to this thread ... + other random data this evening if so
2007-01-09 4:49 PM
in reply to: #648291

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Betsy's Tri-BAMFs Rss Feed  

of 27