Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2007-02-19 10:40 AM
in reply to: #695126

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL

Congrat's Jared.

All the best to you and your bride to be.

2007-02-19 3:18 PM
in reply to: #645139

User image

Veteran

Just finished a workout on the trainer. Felt good since hadn't been on the bike for at least a month. Max speed was 32.2km/h, average was 25.59kn/h according to bike 'puter. Did use a number of gears to increase tension and still managed to keep cadence fairly well even.

Stats:

• Time: 30m 15s
  • Distance: 12.9k
  • Avg. Speed: 25.6k/h
  • Max speed: 32.2k/h
  • Average cadence: 80

Next time, must improve cadence.

2007-02-19 8:18 PM
in reply to: #693201

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

Benson - Your dog is so cute!  What's his/her name?  You aren't spoiling him/her are you?  It looks like it would be easy to do with a face like that!

Cheers!!

2007-02-21 12:00 PM
in reply to: #696334

User image

jlough - 2007-02-19 8:18 PM

Benson - Your dog is so cute!  What's his/her name?  You aren't spoiling him/her are you?  It looks like it would be easy to do with a face like that!

Cheers!!

Thanks for the compliment. His name is Cowboy. He's an awesome dog, or maybe a puppy still because he's 17 months now. Just looking at his face, I've always thought he looks like a person in a dog suit.

Your dog is a cutie too.

Benson
2007-02-21 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran

Just came back from 6.21k run. Was icy in places as the weather had been great all day and the snow melting. Some areas of sidewalk were sheer ice.

Was definitely over dressed for the run today. Wore 3 layers, but should have only worn 2.

I think spring is coming, although we are supposed to get some snow tonight (a couple cm's anyway).

2007-02-22 11:19 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Friday is ALMOST HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

2007-02-23 7:26 AM

User image

Veteran

Friday is here:

Curling tonight, then out for dinner with freinds afterwards.

Tomorrow, eye checkup to satisfy the laser surgery warrantee (4 years and counting and still see great). Then a bike ride on the trainer.

Sunday, a shortish run of about 8 or 10k and then to work to test some changes and then relaxing afternoon at home.

2007-02-23 9:42 AM
in reply to: #700250

User image

Pro
richtherunner - 2007-02-23 5:26 AM

Friday is here:

Curling tonight, then out for dinner with freinds afterwards.

Tomorrow, eye checkup to satisfy the laser surgery warrantee (4 years and counting and still see great). Then a bike ride on the trainer.

Sunday, a shortish run of about 8 or 10k and then to work to test some changes and then relaxing afternoon at home.

What about the bottle of wine? I thought that was tradition on Sunday....

For me I am leaving @ 5am to play in a golf tournament about 4 hrs from home, so no exercise for me this weekend, unless I can pull something off on Sunday night, but I think I am kidding myself!
2007-02-23 11:31 AM
in reply to: #700470

User image

Veteran

swbkrun - 2007-02-23 10:42 AM [What about the bottle of wine? I thought that was tradition on Sunday.... For me I am leaving @ 5am to play in a golf tournament about 4 hrs from home, so no exercise for me this weekend, unless I can pull something off on Sunday night, but I think I am kidding myself!

Oh Yeah, bottle of wine goes with out saying.

Good luck with the Golf! Do you play a lot?

I try and play once a week during the summer. Have been playing for 38 years and still have a hard time breaking 100.

2007-02-23 12:50 PM

User image

Yay Friday! I have a long-ish swim planned for tonight then a 97-min bike tomorrow. I don't look forward to the rides, because as they get longer I have a harder time finding places to ride around here that I'm comfortable with. I have not yet ridden on the roads with traffic (prefer parks), but riding the same loop 8 times gets boring, so I may have to once my rides are 2+ hrs. We'll see how I feel on Sunday if I do a workout. At least next week is a 'rest' week for me. Hooray for that. Have a great weekend everyone!
2007-02-23 1:20 PM

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

25K Trail Run Race tomorrow (Mud Run).

That's 15 miles for us Americans.  My weekly average is 20 miles, so I think I'm gonna suffer... a little bit.  Okay, a lot.  Then recovery on Sunday - maybe play a little Ultimate Frisbee.

2007-02-23 3:20 PM

User image

I have a question for anybody...I still haven't gotten a bike yet, but have done some stationary at the gym. I was talking to a buddy of mine thats an avid cyclist and he said it would be better for me just to run than to spend time on a stationary....any thoughts on that...i.e. is that accurate or should I be spending time on the stationary? Thanks!

Adam
2007-02-23 3:33 PM

Regular
TX
I am no expert, but I will say that running and biking use entirely different muscle groups, so I would think "some" work on the stationary would be better than no biking at all. I know I have a friend who runs marathons (and I struggle with 3 miles), but in the pool it is just the opposite, because he never swims. I guess that is why this multisport thing is so good for the total body...
2007-02-23 4:07 PM
in reply to: #701230

User image

Pro
JLarge - 2007-02-23 1:33 PM

I am no expert, but I will say that running and biking use entirely different muscle groups, so I would think "some" work on the stationary would be better than no biking at all. I know I have a friend who runs marathons (and I struggle with 3 miles), but in the pool it is just the opposite, because he never swims. I guess that is why this multisport thing is so good for the total body...

I SECOND THIS! Entirely different muscles. If you haven't trained your "BIKING" muscles, and you go out during your race.. What are you going to feel like when you get off the bike? My guess, crap! I am not sure I have seen any training plans that say don't ride your bike if you are training for a triathlon.

STAY ON THE STATIONARY!
2007-02-23 5:09 PM

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

Yep - different muscles functions.

Getting on the trainer is important, however, especially when you can't get outside on the bike. This is the perfect time and opportunity to work on form, cadence, and mental toughness. First thing I do is set up my trainer to be as close to my 'real' bike as possible. Practice cycling perfect circles - where there are no 'dead spots' in the pedal stroke. Also concentrate on pulling up with the leg on the upstroke - I assume you are clipped in. This technique works the full leg muscle groups, hamstrings and quads.

Also work on cadence, i.e. strokes per minute or rpm. Try to establish a cadence that you can endure regardless of how easy or hard the resistance is. And endure for a long time. I know some of the spinning classes use songs that are 2 minutes long. 2 minutes won't get you down the block. Work on long stretches of hi-cadence, hi-resistance pedaling, like 10, 15, 30 minutes.

All this (cadence, speed, etc) builds memory into your 'biking muscles.' Use this as a beginner's guide. There's lots more, but this is basic.

2007-02-23 9:01 PM
in reply to: #700862

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

My weekend is off to a good and a bad start all at once.  Bad because I was handed a couple of "extra" tasks at a late afternoon meeting today that are all due on Tuesday.  Looks like I'll be working alot this weekend.  Good b/c we took our boys to the movies tonight and it was a great family night out.  My oldest boy is in 5th grade and I'm trying to make sure I enjoy him all I can while he still thinks I'm cool.    

Planning on two hours on the trainer tomorrow and a 10 mile run for Sunday if the weather's not too bad.  Two of my girlfriends offered to ride their bikes along with me on my longer runs to provide distraction and carry water.  How cool is that?  I'm giving serious thought to signing up for the Marine Corp Marathon in October this year.  Not decided definitely yet... but I think I want to.  (I've got butterflies just thinking about it!)

2007-02-24 7:18 AM

User image

I, too, have been using the stationary bike or spin class for my short rides. For my long rides I try to get outside on my bike. I don't notice much difference in my leg muscles, but can I tell a difference in my arms, back, and shoulders! I hope you get your bike soon so you can start acclimating yourself to the bike position... and the seat!
2007-02-24 7:09 PM

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

Well I finished my first race of the year.

This was a 25K (15.5mile) mostly trail run. It has been raining solid for the past week and the trails were very wet and slippery. There is a lot of clay in our soil. Some of the trails were running rivers and/or small 'ponds.' Today it was raining - drizzling and in the 30's. I was soaked within the first 10 minutes. My shoes and socks were wet (drenched, that is) within the first hour.

I finished under 3 hours at 2:56:30 - pretty good for an old guy I guess. But was 143rd out of about 300, and 28th in my age group. Not sure, yet, how many in my age group. (at least 28 :-) ).

I heard someone explain the difficulty of the run very well. You spend the whole time picking your path and you cannot get into a groove or 'in the zone' because you must constantly give attention to every foot fall - lest you fall, slip, or wipe out. I slipped and fell a few times - nothing serious - but I did see some spectacular slip-n-slides.

My buddy finished 20 minutes behind me and our mutual friend pulled out with a groin pull - the dreaded DNF! Ugh!

Update:

I was 28 of 39 in my class (40-44); 104/156 male; and 143/239 overall.  I must say I find joy in seeing all the younger pups who finished after me. 

I'll post a picture later.

Edited by phanders 2007-02-26 5:23 PM
2007-02-25 6:40 AM

User image

Veteran

Hey Paul,

Sounds like it was a tough race. Congrats on the great finish though and not getting injured. Have you done a mud run before? I've never done a trail run yet (have been thinking about it though).

Way to go!

2007-02-25 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Just back from my 6.2k taper Sunday run before the 1.2 next Sunday. Felt good, but still icy in spots on the sidewalk and also cold. No issues with Achilles this time either.
2007-02-26 4:44 PM

User image

Thanks for the input on the biking issue, I appreciate it a ton. I'm going to look at bikes this week and make a purchase soon...can't wait actually.

Good work on the run Paul, sounds like it was tough...but mud is always a little bit of a good time!

2007-02-28 9:21 AM

Regular
TX
Good morning everyone. Question; I will do my first tri a week from Saturday. My question is what kind of taper should I do, or is it really necessary with a Sprint? I am doing my normal workouts through today, but am traveling Thur-Sun, so I may be able to get in a run and maybe a swim in that time. But, what about next week? Should I just do my normal workouts, stay with my schedule with a lighter workout, rest, or what? Thanks in advance for the help. By the way, this is my first one, and my goal is to finish the race and not finish DAL! No illusions of grandeur here.
2007-02-28 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
I would go about your week this weekend as normal, then next week dial it back A LOT. I would almost take Weds, Thursday, OFF then Friday do a 20 Minute Bike followed by a 5 minute run, just to get the legs going. On your off days take a walk. 2 days before your race is when you need the most sleep! The night before people sometimes don't sleep well. Nerves, etc. Good luck, and keep us posted.

On a side bar--- I was driving to work from the gym this morning, and I was thinking ABOUT OF ALL YOU. I just want you all to know that I want the best for each and everyone of you, and hope that your Tri season is a success (along w/ your health!). I look forward to watching everyone improve throughout the year, and for those of you that have not really chirped up in a while I hope that all is well with you guys/girls!
2007-02-28 11:31 AM

User image

Beaverton, Oregon

Thanks for the encouragement.  Can you do something about the weather, please?

March is here and we have snow, gale-force winds, and temps in the 30's!  Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! 

2007-02-28 11:48 AM

Regular
TX
You can always move to Texas. It is 65 and NICE down here today. Of course in August, it will be 100+ and 90+ humidity. I may come to Oregon then...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  

of 21