Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2007-04-02 12:02 PM
in reply to: #740463

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: RE: Julia's Group - Full

francisjade - 2007-03-28 12:37 PM Julia! Congrats on your triathlon, I was fascinated by your report, it was sort of a day in the life of a triathlete, I had no idea how these things work. I didn't realize how important transitions are. If I uploaded a photo of me on my bike would you be able to tell me if it's fitting me right??

I wouldn't be able to tell you much from a photo, but there are a FEW key things.  First of all your knees should track straight over the pedals - not too much towards the top tube and not out to the sides too much.  When you are at you nost forward knee position, if you hang a plumb line from your knee cap it should not be in front of the center of your metatarcel pressure point (the ball of your toes).  Other than that, you need someone who knows what they are doing to look at it.  Sorry I can't be more help!

2007-04-02 12:07 PM
in reply to: #743959

User image

Master
Colorado

Diane&Mike - 2007-03-31 11:52 AM Back from 5K-Happy to report portapotties were very helpfull before start didn't think I would need them but with nerves and water glad they were available. Thanks for the tip! Race was fun and such a wide variety of people. We did it in 36:33, very happy. We had told the kids to start looking for us after clock had 40 mins, we we are pretty pleased with the time. The top time was 16:40 so what if he could have run it 2 and stil came in before us, out of my age I came in 5th. It it really doesn't bother me that there weren't many more than that in my age group (30-39). They main point is we did it and 4 months ago we would not have been this far. Ok enough rambling, thanks for your advise and horror stories too. All of it really helped.

YEAH!!!  That is GREAT!  I think you should be proud and don't worry about a jelly bean here and there.  Remember everything in moderation.  I have honestly found that if I pack in a ton of fruits and veggies, I don't crave the junk as much anyway.  After a while there's no will power, just habbit.  I actually love having granola and yogurt for breakfast instead of the bacon, eggs, cheese, hash browns that my hubby orders.  Plus then I can keep up with the kids

Anyway CONGRATS

2007-04-02 12:11 PM
in reply to: #744817

User image

Master
Colorado

francisjade - 2007-04-01 6:49 PM Is anyone interested in having a goal of upping monthly workout hours for April? I noticed I biked 7 hours, R A N 4 hours and swam 5 in March which I think could be improved on. Perhaps doubling? or near that?

That would be FANTASTIC!!!  My goals would be somewhere around Swim 10+ hours, bike 25+ hours, run 15+ hours.  We'll see...

I think doubling would be a lot but if you think you can - GO FOR IT!!!

2007-04-02 3:48 PM
in reply to: #661678

ok folks,
i need a major pick-me-up!! i've been squeezing in my workouts this past week, and am hoping to do better this week, but i just feel SO tired and exhausted. i KNOW its stress--we just sold our house last week (YAY!!) which relieves one stress, but adds a whole 'nother load of stresses for me. hubby and i are going house hunting next week which i hope will go well, but of course stressing me--buying a house in another state in only 4 days seems stressful to me!! my MIL will stay here with 3 of our 4 kids, which worries me a little, and we are waiting to hear how the inspection on OUR house went today, since that could affect the outcome of the sale. we do NOT want these people to back out!!

anyway...sorry kind of irrelevent. i just need to do something to re-kindle my passion for my workouts!! time is a big factor, but i've been doing fine with little time for 12 weeks now as i train for the HIM.
any tips on getting rejuvenated?
you guys are all very inspiring, just reading your posts--
megan
2007-04-02 5:15 PM

User image

Grafton, WI
Megan, I hate to tell you, but I think it is that time that we all start struggling!  Ugh.  I guess I'm trying to switch some stuff up, do a few short quick bursts to help improve times but cut down on your workouts if you don't have the time.  My goals haven't really helped me, but then again my hands are tied until my leg heals.  Make some new playlists and take a day off if you need one.....not very inspiring, but think what you will feel like on the day you do the race! 
2007-04-02 10:00 PM
in reply to: #745639

juliapurr - 2007-04-02 12:11 PM

francisjade - 2007-04-01 6:49 PM Is anyone interested in having a goal of upping monthly workout hours for April? I noticed I biked 7 hours, R A N 4 hours and swam 5 in March which I think could be improved on. Perhaps doubling? or near that?

That would be FANTASTIC!!! My goals would be somewhere around Swim 10+ hours, bike 25+ hours, run 15+ hours. We'll see...

I think doubling would be a lot but if you think you can - GO FOR IT!!!

Great! I'll check in on your logs mid-way through : ) I'd like to up my biking. My goal hours this month are Bike 14, Run 7, swim 7. Just one hour a day.

2007-04-02 10:16 PM
in reply to: #746159

trimomfour - 2007-04-02 3:48 PM

ok folks,
i need a major pick-me-up!! i've been squeezing in my workouts this past week, and am hoping to do better this week, but i just feel SO tired and exhausted. i KNOW its stress--we just sold our house last week (YAY!!) which relieves one stress, but adds a whole 'nother load of stresses for me. hubby and i are going house hunting next week which i hope will go well, but of course stressing me--buying a house in another state in only 4 days seems stressful to me!! my MIL will stay here with 3 of our 4 kids, which worries me a little, and we are waiting to hear how the inspection on OUR house went today, since that could affect the outcome of the sale. we do NOT want these people to back out!!

anyway...sorry kind of irrelevent. i just need to do something to re-kindle my passion for my workouts!! time is a big factor, but i've been doing fine with little time for 12 weeks now as i train for the HIM.
any tips on getting rejuvenated?
you guys are all very inspiring, just reading your posts--
megan

Yes, I agree with trygirl, thinking about and visualizing the great feeling you'll have as you do your triathlon might boost your interest. and perhaps not putting pressure on yourself to do these workouts might help especially when something else is on your mind. I find it hard to workout when stressed too. But perhaps a tiny easy workout, say 20minutes (which will get you started each day, it's non-committal and quick, and can lead to a full workout), would be good for dealing with the stress while you find a new home in a new state this week! I'm sure you'll find a great home.
2007-04-02 11:20 PM
in reply to: #745617

juliapurr - 2007-04-02 12:02 PM

francisjade - 2007-03-28 12:37 PM Julia! Congrats on your triathlon, I was fascinated by your report, it was sort of a day in the life of a triathlete, I had no idea how these things work. I didn't realize how important transitions are. If I uploaded a photo of me on my bike would you be able to tell me if it's fitting me right??

I wouldn't be able to tell you much from a photo, but there are a FEW key things. First of all your knees should track straight over the pedals - not too much towards the top tube and not out to the sides too much. When you are at you nost forward knee position, if you hang a plumb line from your knee cap it should not be in front of the center of your metatarcel pressure point (the ball of your toes). Other than that, you need someone who knows what they are doing to look at it. Sorry I can't be more help!

no this is great, thanks!
2007-04-03 12:33 PM
in reply to: #746159

User image

West Richland

Megan,

It sounds like you are dealing with a lot right now, the whole house buying/house selling/moving process is so stressful and time-consuming. I wish I had better advice about lighting the fire again. I totally agree with the advice about saying to yourself that you'll just go for 20 minutes, because sometimes once you get started you actually want to go longer, and even if not at least you got 20 minutes in.

I find you and others in this group that manage to put in the long training hours despite being busy really inspiring, and it helps me kick my own butt when I think I just can't get out there for that 45 minute bike ride. Smile

Good luck with the house inspection! I bought a house last year but I was coming from an apartment, and just the thought of trying to juggle things so that the sale of one house goes through close enough to the purchase of another that you don't end either up in limbo or owning two houses totally stresses me out.

trimomfour - 2007-04-02 1:48 PM ok folks, i need a major pick-me-up!! i've been squeezing in my workouts this past week, and am hoping to do better this week, but i just feel SO tired and exhausted. i KNOW its stress--we just sold our house last week (YAY!!) which relieves one stress, but adds a whole 'nother load of stresses for me. hubby and i are going house hunting next week which i hope will go well, but of course stressing me--buying a house in another state in only 4 days seems stressful to me!! my MIL will stay here with 3 of our 4 kids, which worries me a little, and we are waiting to hear how the inspection on OUR house went today, since that could affect the outcome of the sale. we do NOT want these people to back out!! anyway...sorry kind of irrelevent. i just need to do something to re-kindle my passion for my workouts!! time is a big factor, but i've been doing fine with little time for 12 weeks now as i train for the HIM. any tips on getting rejuvenated? you guys are all very inspiring, just reading your posts-- megan

Edited by elelen 2007-04-03 12:40 PM
2007-04-03 12:38 PM
in reply to: #746584

User image

West Richland
I'm in for upping my hours in April too, I want to increase my times to at least 6 hours for biking, at least 5 hours for running, and at least 3 hours swimming.
2007-04-03 11:57 PM

thanks everyone, for all your words of encouragement!! it really helps--especially just knowing that there are others out there who understand how i feel!
i know, i have decided that rather than get really down about not meeting my training schedule to a T (mostly my bikes) i need to just do what i can do and be glad that i get that much in. right now i'm able to get my runs and my swims in fine, but i'm stressing about the bike, especially since i have the HIM in june. yikes!

anyway, this week so far has gone well for my workouts. i'm not quite as tired this week. this is just a really stressful time with the sale of our house, buying a new one in another state, and just the general demands of 4 kids, one of them having special needs that tends to emotionally (and physically!) draining.

but thanks again--those are all great suggestions. i got a free copy of runners world mag. in the mail yesterday and i think that helped too--just flipping through it helped me get inspired by people's stories and pictures.

i'm starting to get excited for the triathlon in may.
thanks guys!!
megan

2007-04-04 7:01 AM

User image

Grafton, WI

Megan,

Hey I forgot to mention if you have any seminars that your local clubs put on, go to one of those for some inspiration and reinforcement.  I joked with my P.T. last night that since I can't run, I went to a marathon training seminar....but it was very inspiring and helped me to stay focused on rehab to get back out there.  Today I am walking like a mummy with my ankle and knee taped with some funky tape.  Hey if it helps, great!  Parent conferences tonight and tomorrow morning, then spring break!  I can't wait to get this research project done and have some time to relax!  Best of luck in your house hunt...I am going through that too even though I don't need to rush right now it can pay a toll.  P.S. I think I might have recruited another member to our tri club last night! 

Kersten

2007-04-04 9:24 AM

Hi everyone,
Thought I'd check in to see what was up.
Megan I feel for you. Went through sell/buy homes last summer-only your is so much more intense. I wish I had some really good advise on how to get you motivated but I come here for the pick me ups. I also look back, pictures or mental, and see how far I have come. I don't want to go back. It is so easy to fall out of routine and so hard to get back into it. Just know you are worth it.

Anyone from Co springs area? I am headed there this weekend. We stay at The Sleep Inn off academy, this place has an indoor water slide! It is really fun. I was thinking I could count this a my pool time and since we are usually chasing each other up the stairs I could get some run time in too!
I have noticed everyones goals to up their times and that is a wonderful idea. So if I double my pool time I would be at...what is 2x0? Hehe. I soooo need to get in the pool! That is a big struggle! How do you all do it?

Thanks all. Have a great day!
Diane

2007-04-04 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

Motivation, motivation, motivation....  Let's see.  A few pointers - one BE CAREFUL and take care of yourself.  One thing that I have found is that personal life stress can lead to physical stress and illness if you don't take care of youreslf.  My first and foremost recommendation would be not to cut out sleep and to eat right and if you take supplements, continue to take them or think about it to avoid ending up sick.  My second pointer would be QUALITY not quantity.  When training for a big event, the base hours are important, however, at this stage rushing through a 40' bike might not help much.  Make sure that when you are training, you are there mentally and physically.  Try to make the time to FORGET about the other life stressors.  If you have a recovery bike or swim - skip it for a nap.  But don't miss the intense workouts that will keep you going on race day   Try to block out fewer, but more quality sessions.  Instead of trying to cram in a 30' bike and a 30' swim.  Pick the bike and get out there for the full hour.  Plus after 20' you might forget about the stress

Other than that, yeah, keep those magazines handy.  Another MAg I like is HerSports.  They feature athletes that are just like you and me and just reading some of the stories is inspiring.  I went through a LOT of stress with work at this time last year and I rebounded fine after pretty much taking a month off (not totally off, but really struggling to fit in my workouts) and I got stressed and I was sick for about a month!  Remember that this stuff is YOUR outlet, YOUR fun, and YOUR time.  HAVE FUN!!!!! 

2007-04-05 7:55 AM

User image

Grafton, WI

YIPEEE!!  I finally had the time to swim 2500 yds!!!!  Good thing for parent conferences pushing the start of work a little later....so this morning my first swim partner came and we swam, then when she had to leave a coworker came partway through to finish the time I needed in the pool(I open the pool for just the two of us..).  Good one last workout before I take another week off as I am heading North for Easter (yea it's 25 degrees out this morning!) to my folks.  Have a good one everyone!!!  There is some motivation and positivity.... 

2007-04-05 9:13 AM
in reply to: #748722

Julia, I have a question about getting fast. Not that I expect to get very fast with the amount of effort I'm putting in, but is it possible in two months for someone like me to go from say a 20km/h bike to 30km/h? Or from a 10min/mile to 8min/mile or 2.25min/100metres to 1.50min/100metres. Please don't laugh. I was just comparing my times with the winner of the triathlon I'm entering. I know I won't place and will be thankful if I finish, I'm just curious! Is this years of training?

2007-04-05 9:50 AM
in reply to: #749966

User image

Master
Colorado

francisjade - 2007-04-05 8:13 AM Julia, I have a question about getting fast. Not that I expect to get very fast with the amount of effort I'm putting in, but is it possible in two months for someone like me to go from say a 20km/h bike to 30km/h? Or from a 10min/mile to 8min/mile or 2.25min/100metres to 1.50min/100metres. Please don't laugh. I was just comparing my times with the winner of the triathlon I'm entering. I know I won't place and will be thankful if I finish, I'm just curious! Is this years of training?

Let's see - I'm running the math for conversion in my head for km/hr vs mph...  Here is my thought though.  When I first started training for my FIRST race, I did the SAME thing you are doing.  I trained at running 10' mile pace.  Occasionally I would do a faster run at 9' pace.  I rode my bike at 15 mph with a faster ride at 16.5 mph avg.  I never even timed myself swimming.  When it came to race day amazingly I hit 18.5 mph average and 8:30's on the run.  WOW!!  So first of all don't think about your training time as equivalent to your race time.  If you really push yourself, prepare well for race day and taper correctly, you will find some speed you didn't think you had. 

That all being said, I think progression is different for everyone.  After that first race, I got a little more serious about my training and by the end of the season I was at 20 mph on the bike average and down to 7:30 miles running.  BUT one thing to remember is that every person is different.  Some people have a natural ability that might come out and some will have to really work to get there.  I think the biggest challenge you have is on your list there is the swim.  It takes a LOT of technique work and general swim fitness to get to 1.5 min/ 100 meters.  The run - I think you can get there with some general endurance training.  The question is what will the adrenaline do for you and how will the bike affect your legs running.  IF you really prep for race day, you should see some speed that you were unaware of .  The bike will again mostly be time in the saddle and maybe a few extra gadgets on the bike.  Unfortunately, on the bike a LOT of it might have to do with the bike you ride and the equipment you have to go with it.  All in all, don't shoot for the podium on your first race, but think about it by the end of the season.  It took me one year to get on the podium from when I started. 

2007-04-06 12:18 AM

hi guys,
thanks again for all the motivation! i do come here for inspiration, and you guys are all inspiring to me!

today we had some stress with the sale of our house (inspection results have changed things a little) so we had to meet with our realtor and do some signing and figuring things out on our contract so i didn't get my run or my swim in today, which i was really hoping to do since we are leaving town this weekend. but i think i'll take my running shoes on our trip and at least try to get a couple of hours of running in.
thanks again guys, and have a great weekend!

Megan
2007-04-09 11:14 AM

Happy long weekend! I am home earlier than I thought I would be. Got some chores done today and a part of that was registering for my very first Triathlon!!! The London Lakeside Triathlon which is a 750m swim, 30km bike, and 7.5km run! I'm so excited writing this!

Hope everyone's weekend was good.
2007-04-09 9:43 PM

Congrats Fran!
Good luck with everything-when is it? (sorry if you said)

This was a tuff weekend! The weather in eastern Co was horrible! How do you deal with freezing rain/drizzle. Not only those in Co but Those of you who live in the northern states! No thanks.

This week I commit to swim! Bike the race route and run the race trail!
The past couple weeks have been kinda lax. Last week I think I tried to get back into daily workouts but did go so well. This week though I will!

Have a good one everyone!
Diane
2007-04-09 10:30 PM
in reply to: #754724

Diane&Mike - 2007-04-09 9:43 PM

Congrats Fran!
Good luck with everything-when is it? (sorry if you said)

This was a tuff weekend! The weather in eastern Co was horrible! How do you deal with freezing rain/drizzle. Not only those in Co but Those of you who live in the northern states! No thanks.

This week I commit to swim! Bike the race route and run the race trail!
The past couple weeks have been kinda lax. Last week I think I tried to get back into daily workouts but did go so well. This week though I will!

Have a good one everyone!
Diane

My triathlon is June 10th and a friend agreed to do it with me. She wants to do it together meaning be with me the entire time. I didn't at first like the idea but I realize the faster person will set the pace and assuming she's faster this will push me to do better. We're going to start training together so I can gauge how fast she is.

Julia thanks for the advice! Diane good luck with your goals this week.

2007-04-12 12:17 PM

Hello everyone! It a bit quite these days...hope everyone had a good long weekend. I've slowly been getting back into the swing of things. Julia's going through crap at work, I read on her log. How are you all doing?
2007-04-12 12:37 PM

User image

Grafton, WI
Fantastic!  I'm on Spring break, in Wi. with snow....atleast it doesn't make me want to go out and bike/run.  That is a good thing for me yet.  So instead, Yoga, swim, P.T., rest, graduate work, grading papers and relaxing a little bit.  I've been reading Runners World....love it!  So motivational.  Makes me feel bad for whining all this time....so that is my goal, and when I swim to always make the time to go 1800 yds or more...so if my training partner can't get there on time, I'll start going after school and leave her to fend for herself.  Also to stay swimming 3x/week. 
2007-04-12 9:29 PM

hi guys--
i feel totally under the radar right now! i look at my logs and i feel so depressed. i was on such a streak and this past week and a half is SO pathetic! this house selling/buying out of state thing is such a huge hassle, i can't believe it.
was going to get to the pool today but it started to storm (its an outdoor pool).
hopefully this weekend and next week i can get back on track.

anyone racing this weekend? hope everyone is doing great with their workouts and goals.

Megan
2007-04-12 10:01 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Yeah, stress all around for me.  And of course that leads to sick...  So I'm down with a slight cold in my chest and looks like I'll be SNOWED in again for tomorrow!!  Holy CRAP I'm sick of the snow.  I thought it was over, but then I remembered APRIL.  We're supposed to get well over a foot and then another storm on Monday - how JOLLY!!!  Can anyone sense the sarcasm   Looks like a bunch of us are feeling that mid early season funk.  don't worry, it'll come around!!  Don't be afraid to take an easy week and then back at it

Happier weather wishes to all!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Julia's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 18