of 46

2007-06-03 7:00 PM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
Hey Rich,

I tried my second brick ever today. Rode 17+ miles and then wanted to run 2-3. (Humble start.) Now I know why they call them bricks, my feet felt like bricks! I could NOT get going on the running. It's like I bought my legs from K-mart on their blue light special...

I did get 2.2 miles in after running, but I had to walk FOUR times. Pathetic! Now I know what my weakness is...It's the transition. I haven't even tried a brick from swim to bike. (I'm not as concerned about that, but my luck may prove that it is equally humbling.)

Rich, any suggestions on how I can improve? And will I ever be able to do this without walking???

2007-06-03 8:54 PM
in reply to: #827099

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Good Work Christine!

Was good that you got your workout in early before the humidity. I'm not sure there are any suggestions for you to figure out how to train in that humidity, but I'm going to start a thread out in the main room to see if people have some suggestions for you or best practices!

Rich

2007-06-03 9:03 PM
in reply to: #827492

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Andi:

I have some suggestions, but let me also do a little research for you and I will respond to you this evening....heading out to dinner with "The FAM"!

Rich
2007-06-04 12:35 AM
in reply to: #827492

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Andi:

You wrote: I did get 2.2 miles in after running, but I had to walk FOUR times. Pathetic! Now I know what my weakness is...It's the transition. I haven't even tried a brick from swim to bike. (I'm not as concerned about that, but my luck may prove that it is equally humbling.) Rich, any suggestions on how I can improve? And will I ever be able to do this without walking???

First, there are a lot of people that struggle with this transition (from biking to running.) I learned that you need to "let the race come to you". This is advice from one of Tri coaches. Basically, you back off until you get your running legs. It can take a while...walking may be needed.

So here are a couple of suggestions:
- Don't push in the big ring at the end of your ride. I drop into the small chain ring to let your legs spin and clear some lactate acid in the muscles.
- In the transition area, I have taken about 30 seconds to stretch (Hamstrings and calves).
- Don't sprint out of the transition: You don't want to use all your energy right at the start. Pacing yourself is important both in the bike and run portion of the race.
- Don't push the pace....find your pace. It may take a mile to find your legs.
- Focus on your running form/technique during the first portion of the run.

I'll think about other things I do during transition from biking to running.

Questions?

Rich
2007-06-04 8:26 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hi!  Good Morning! 

Well, I attempted 2 bricks this weekend, but it didn't go as planned.  The thunderstorms got in the way.  On Saturday's brick, we ended up riding a hilly loop 3x, then transitioned into a slow long run.  We tried another brick on Sunday, and the storms took over.  We ended up riding about 6 miles then spending 30 minutes under a bridge as the lightning passed.  It was crazy!  As the rain let up, we rode the rest of the way home.  (another 6 miles)  We could still see the lightning ahead...pretty scary.  By the time we got back, the sky was nice and blue.  We headed out for a quick 20 minute run.  Andi, I know what'cha mean about brick legs.  The first few minutes are challenging.  I finally found "my groove" around mile 1 and I felt great on the last half of the run.  Rich, I'll have to try the little ring at the end of the biking portion to get my legs ready for the run.  Good idea, teacher!

Sunday afternoon, I tried an OWS....HOLY MOLY!!!  I'm not sure I can do this.  It was so intimidating.  I had on a wetsuit to keep me afloat, but the waves and movement of the water were overwhelming for me.  Being out there, I realized how bad I am at swimming.  My friend has given me the book, Total Immersion.  I've read a few chapters, but I'm not going to begin the lessons until next week after I complete my tri on Sunday.  Rich, what do you think about this philosophy of swimming?  Have you used it before?   I need everything when it comes to swimming...form, endurance, calmness...  Any other suggestions?   I'm really nervous now. 

Happy Monday, Group!

Angela

2007-06-04 8:45 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Rich, this is GREAT advice. Thank you. I will try all of that. I do the stretching, but haven't used the small ring, and do try and get to my regular pace right away. I knew I was doing something wrong when I felt like an elephant every time my foot hit the pavement...I'm surprised the neighbors didn't think it was an earthquake!

I'll keep working on it...

2007-06-04 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hello all!  I hope you had a wonderful weekend. We got rained on a lot last night, which made for a rather soggy trail run for me this morning.  Somehow I remembered more gravel than mud on the trail near my house.  However, after about 3/4 of a mile of slogging through the puddles, I had enough mud caked on my shoes to drastically affect my stride - felt like I was running on platform shoes!!

Oh, and by the way, I hate bricks, too.  Feels like my legs are made of jello....the only thing that has helped me so far is to try to ease into the run rather than setting a quick (for me) pace right away. Rich, I love your ideas for this - I'm definitely going to be giving those a try!

So while I was jogging/wading along this morning, I thought of a question to pose to you all. Have you thought of a reward for yourself for meeting your goals, and if so, what is it?  For example, one of my goals is to get my weight below 160.  My hubby and I have season tickets to the opera, so once I make my goal, I get to buy a fancy new dress to wear on those special nights.  What about you?

2007-06-04 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Hey Guys,

looks like we all hit it hard this weekend.

Angie, yeah I am with you when it comes to OWS. What I have heard is that it is better to get your techiniqeu down in the pool and then head to the OW. If not you will flip out and waste energy. I'm sure Rich will enlighten us shortly with information.
Try and stay calm though, remember that you don't win a triathlon in the swim.... you still got 2 more sports to go, so I would say, take your time. I intend on doing this in 3 weeks on my tri.

This weekend, I did a total of 4 hours on the bike , 1 hour spinning and 2 hours runninng, no swimming though, so Im swimming today lightly. Weather was poop on saturday and then beautiful yesterday! My body is aching a little, but not too much.
Hope everyone else's weekend was awesome.

Q: So, is my polar destoyed? While running it would read 167 and then 38 and 40 and just stay there and not change for like 15 minutes, and then the same thing again? is there a function i am unaware off?

guys have a great week!
2007-06-04 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Angela -- Great job on the OWS!

I think a lot of people have a bit of a struggle with open water at first. It's SO different from the pool.

My first OWS was a swim clinic at a lake back in early May and the professionals said something I found very useful -- the point is to get from point A to point B. It doesn't matter how you get there. It doesn't matter what it looks like. Just get there.

I swam in a river the weekend before last and that went even better. Still difficult, but I was able to spend more time with my face in the water, doing a proper freestyle stroke -- which moves you through the water the fastest.

From what I've experienced (myself and watching others), the biggest challenge at first is getting your mind to calm down and focus on swimming -- not all of the other stuff.

You have to figure out the best way for you to get yourself there. And in the end, if you can't calm down, doggy paddle your way across if you have to! YOU CAN DO IT!
2007-06-04 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
P.S. The Pros (professional Ironman competitors that taught our swim clinic) also recommended swimming at a fast pace for several laps in the pool to simulate where you are at at the start of a race (all jazzed up!), then slow down but keep swimming. This is a way to practice getting your heart rate and breathing up; then brining it back down WHILE you are still swimming.

Honestly, you feel a bit like you are hyperventilating and going to suck in water at any second, but then you don't and you find yourself calming down. I think it's a great thing to practice.

Speaking of bricks -- I need to get out there and do some more.
2007-06-04 12:25 PM
in reply to: #828257

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Caru!

Glad you got some riding in this weekend!

You asked: "So, is my polar destoyed? While running it would read 167 and then 38 and 40 and just stay there and not change for like 15 minutes, and then the same thing again? is there a function i am unaware off?"

I'm assuming you are wearing the HR Monitor strap. Make sure the leads are wet. They need to be wet to read your heart rate correctly or you will get high readings like you experienced. Rinse off the strap between uses. Try that and see if that corrects the situation.

2007-06-04 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - WEATHER! Grrrrr
I was watching the weather in the southern tier states and it looked pretty bad. Grrrrrr! Really causes you to be creative with your training!

Ya'll are just going to have to come out to California for a week training. Saturday was gorgeous. 78 degrees and sunny with ocean breezes. Got an early morning swim in and then headed with my wife, best man and his wife to Temecula Wine Region for wine tasting and picnic. It was fabulous.

Sunday was a long training day. Sunny and low 80s. Even with my sunblock 40 on, I got toasted. I have wonderful cycling helmet markings on the back of my bald head and neck. Dooohhh! Beautiful ride from foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains (6000 to 8000 ft. mountain range that starts about two blocks from the house) to the beach and back. Talk about a calorie deficit!

Calories Burned during ride: 3991
Calories Consumed for day: 3000

Today is a long swim! Woooo Hoooo!

Rich
2007-06-04 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - Bricks/OWS
Glad the info on Bricks helped, Andi! I think the biggest thing that will help and I think KAT has found it, is taking it easy! THANKS, Kat!!!!

Angela: Open Water Swims are overwhelming at first: The combination of no sides, waves, wetsuits, etc. is sooo much to take in all at once. You can do it! First, the wetsuit will keep you afloat. If you panic, flip over on your back and swim on your back for a while. I think Christine mentioned that it is all about getting to the bike! How right she is.... you are not awarded points for style. You will do fine....try to get a couple more open water swims in.....

Quick Story: My first Open Water Swim was off the coast of Ventura, California. I was out swimming ... the furthest swimmer out....when I hear the most horrible five letter word that I could ever imagine......."Shark". I took a stroke and breathed on my right side.....didn't see anything.....took another stroke and took another breath on my left side........ "Oooooooohhhh ^#$&" I see a dorsol fin. I'm thinking to myself that I am now "SHARK BAIT". A second dorsol fin popped up and then a third...... Dolphins! Phew!!!!!!!!!!!! They were close enough I could hear their clicking and high pitched sound. It sounded as if they were laughing. After that experience, all fear of OWS went right out the window!

Angela! Trust me, you will be fine. Worst case scenario, you can hang on the lifeguards boards that are in the water. If need be, you can also ask them for assistance to get out of the water. You will be disqualified, but my message is that you will be in an environment where you will not be endangered!

Rich
2007-06-04 2:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
WOW Rich! What an amazing story! How did you not completely panic???

My brother used to surf out in California and he has some good shark stories (like being up riding a wave and seeing a shark sharing the same wave). Probably 99% of the time they leave people alone. It's that 1% that puts a very strong fear in people and I don't blame them.

NEXT YEAR (assuming we all continue our triathlete journies) -- TRAINING CAMP AT RICH'S!
2007-06-04 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - USE OF LEGS
Not sure if I shared this little trick, but when I'm swimming I don't kick that much. I save my legs for the bike and for the run. The wetsuit is bouyant enough to keep your hips and legs afloat. About 50 to 100 yds out from the end of the swim, I start kicking to get blood back into the legs so that when I stand up and start moving my legs, they will!

This little trip was taught to me by my training buddy! It is amazing.

Rich
2007-06-04 9:24 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Thanks for your encouragment and confidence that I can make it from point A to B w/o drowning!  This race doesn't allow wetsuits, so I'm on my own.  I went to the pool today and I was scared.  I made myself swim for 10 min.  I couldn't wait to get out.  Christine, I like the idea of getting the job done.  Doesn't matter what I look like or what stroke I do, just get to the bike!  I'll be repeating the simple word...calm, calm, calm...breathe.  That's advice I can really use now.  I'll work on technique, etc. next week.

Rich, glad to hear you had a great time in the wine country.  How about bottling up some of your great weather and sending it my way?  I'm ready for some sunshine!  

Kat, I like the idea of a new dress for the opera.  What a nice date night with hubby!  I'm not sure what my goal is.  Let me think on it and I'll get back to ya!  Maybe I'll have to treat myself to something grand once I make it through this OWS on Sunday!

2007-06-04 11:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
I treat myself to a Sports Massage every 30 days..... really gets all of the tension out of the muscles and helps the muscles recover a lot!
2007-06-05 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
What would my reward be for meeting my fitness goal?...It's sad to say I feel so far away from it (I've been trying for so long and not getting very far) that I haven't really picked any one thing yet.

Just to be able to wear shorts and tank tops again in the summer and not feel like I have to "suck it in" -- that would be a great reward!
2007-06-05 4:46 PM
in reply to: #830696

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Howdy! Miss me?

I have been in meetings most of the day.....(dreaming about being out on my bike).... Gorgeous weather out today! Perfect for riding. Sunny, 75 degrees with a nice light breeze. Sniffle..... told my boss that I should be out riding!

So, Christine......pick smaller goals. Maybe it is loose 5 lbs. or may be it is ride 100 miles in a week, or maybe run 30 miles in a week. These are examples .... set your goals that are realistic, but also just beyond what you are capable of doing now. (i.e. stretch yourself just past your perceived abilities.)

The reward doesn't have to be expensive..... it can be as simple as spending 30 minutes quiet time in your favorite spot in the garden. It could be a walk in a forest or in the woods where you can enjoy nature..... it might be a cup of coffee with a friend.

My goals are just wacked because after all, I'm a maniac..... so my goal is for every 750 miles (combination of swimming, running and cycling), I get a sports massage. It is probably the one time in the month where I am totally relaxed and melt off the table when the therapist is done with me. That is 187.5 miles per week! :p

Sooooo let's hear a report..... how's everyone doing? (Texas and Florida having weather issues.......) What is your biggest struggle? What is your biggest fear? What breakthroughs have you experience? What are you trying new? Are you on track for your upcoming triathlons? What do you need help on the most? How are your food choices? These are just some random questions. You don't have to answer all of them.
2007-06-05 5:06 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Weather today is finally sunny, but so HOT!  and HUMID!  Let the summer begin...

Biggest Fear...OPEN WATER SWIM  I just want to get it over with!  It's 800m in a lake that I've never seen.  I'm so glad I was able to get out in the water on Sunday so at least I know what to expect.  Strategy:  1.  stay at the back of the pack 2.  breathe as calmly as possible 3. get from point A to B how ever I can...side stroke, back stroke, doggie paddle... 

My running is feeling good, but I wish I had more time to ride my bike outside.  The weather has been so stormy these last weeks that finding a time when I have childcare has been difficult.  After this weekend's Tri, I'm going to concentrate on increasing my running miles because I have a 25K in July.  I also want to work on my swimming using Total Immersion. 

Food choices are going well.  My weight is slowly going down.  I sure like the way my a** is looking in my new jeans! 

2007-06-05 5:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
hectic ouple of days!!!
GOOD TO hear from you Rich!!! YEAH IT IS BEAUTIFUL WEATHER HERE TOO. I am wanting to be out biking too. I can't believe all the miles you put in your bike. Where do you ride and with whom? besides, going to work in your bike of course!

GUys, so I had my first team training today- it wwent well. We just biked. We did some 19 second intervals, which were hard but good, coach kept checking my posture which was very good I am very glad. He thinks I am not fitted adequately in my bike. I agree, my back has been hurting and im bouncing off the bike most of the time. So coach is going to fit me, he used some technical words I couldn't understand when he said he could fit me. So I just agreed.

We went to an area of Miami that i really like, where my race will be at. SO I am excited. we will see what happens. We meet again on thursday for a run and then Saturday to do some biking and running.
I feel tired since yesterday. i think i was coming down with something last week and i just worked it off by exercising a lot! but then work strees and others just have my energy to a low yesterday and tody. Hopefully I will rest this whole night and ahve new batteries tomorrow!!

Im very inconsistent with my rewards....its usually some kind of ice cream thing.If my placement is good in my first tri, I am going to give myself a Garmin GPS device thinggy...(the cheapest one obviously) but that will probably happen later on when im bumbed out. I usually reward myself when I'm not motivated.

Guys hope u are all having good weeks. it feels like the weeks has been the longesst everrr!!!!

2007-06-05 5:38 PM
in reply to: #831230

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Angela:

FIRST! KUDOS on your weight slowly coming down....that is exactly what you should be doing....so what are you attributing your weight to coming down? What has changed?

KEEP IT UP! I'll avoid the way you look in your new jeans....I might get in trouble! :P

You wrote regarding your swimming strategy: "Strategy: 1. stay at the back of the pack 2. breathe as calmly as possible 3. get from point A to B how ever I can...side stroke, back stroke, doggie paddle..."

That is a good strategy ... if you start from shore and make a turn line up in back and in the opposite corner from the direction of the turn. Just go out and enjoy the swim. Don't put pressure on yourself on the swim. It is all about just getting to the bike.

You wrote: "My running is feeling good, but I wish I had more time to ride my bike outside."  As an alternative, have you considered a trainer that you can attach your bike to? I'll let you know what trainer I have. (I'm having a senior moment and can't remember the made and model.) This is a good alternative.

Keep it up Angela! Can you tell you are making progress?

Rich
2007-06-05 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Caru! Howdy and Good Evening!

Good to hear the weather has cleared up!

Your coach obviously saw that you could benefit from some minor adjustments on your bike. These adjustments can sometimes result in improved efficiency and speed on the bike.....not to mention less of a pain in the back!

Keep us posted on your workouts with your coach. That is GREAT that you are training in and near the environment of your race. That is cool!

Ice Cream....Yummmm.... can you find a good sugar free ice cream?

You're doing GREAT Caru!

Rich
2007-06-05 7:51 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Before I forget, Rich, I just want to thank you again for the early suggestion on breathing every third stroke when I swim. I started that habit right out the gate in my training, and by the second week, I felt pretty comfortable with it. Now, if I try and breathe every other stroke, I really struggle. You are right, it just takes the wind right out of you! I was able to swim virtually non-stop (other than 30-45 second breaks between sets) for an hour yesterday, equating to 84 laps (25 yards) in the pool. Every third stroke and keeping my head down were the main factors, I'm sure of that! So what can I do to improve if I am pretty sure I won't have a problem on the swim end? Sprint??? Let me know.

To answer some of your questions:
What is your biggest struggle?
Running and the transition from biking to running, without a doubt.
What is your biggest fear?
Not finishing my run, falling when I get my water bottle from my bike (I'm unable to peddle and drink at the same time...duhhh!!!!)
What breakthroughs have you experience?
I'm happy with how quickly my swimming came back. I raced up until 8th grade, but haven't swam competitively since.
What are you trying new?
Keeping my shoulders back when I run, not letting my arms swing in front of me but along side of me, and relaxing my feet (suggestion from my TNT coach).
Are you on track for your upcoming triathlons?
Yes, I think so, but next week will be very hard to train since my husband will be out of town for 5 days and I don't have a babysitter. May try and sneak away from work for a quick run or something...
What do you need help on the most?
Technique, especially in running...and transitions.
How are your food choices?
Pretty inconsistant. I hate calorie counting. I did well yesterday, but today I had a golf outing and I blew it. Two bags of chips, a hot dog, two glasses of wine. BUT, I won longest drive and closest to the pin! Equalled about $300 in winnings. (Doesn't void my bad choices, does it???...*sigh*) Did I mention I hate calorie counting?
2007-06-05 8:44 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Rich, my husband has a trainer.  I'll get him to set it up for me.  I didn't even think of that!  I guess that's why you're the mentor and I'm the mentee! 

The 2 things that I've added to my workouts that I think have helped me are weight training 2x a week for an hour and yoga 2-3x a week for an hour.  I really feel this has contributed to my weight lose and lengthening of my body.  I just feel taller and stronger.   I've also cut out snacking and sweets.  I just don't want it right now.  Eating smaller portions at dinner has helped too.  I've switched to using whole wheat pasta and rice.  My kids love it and can't tell the difference.  Little changes, but it's beginning to pay off. 

Hey Andi, I can't drink and bike at the same time either so I wear a small camel back.  I don't have to reach down during my ride to grab a bottle.  It's really helped me!

Glad to hear everyone's training is going well...Keep up the pace, Group!

Angela

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46