of 46

2007-05-15 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
USER NAME: Cyclingmaniac

FIRST NAME: Rich

STORY: I am a fourth season triathlete that has participated in 20 plus triathlons, 10 plus century cycling events, and numerous marathons and half-marathons since August 2000. I am a 51 year old family man that balances family life, work life and triathlon training. I have experience in not only corporate training, but also have mentor new cyclists through century ride training through the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's "Team-In-Training" program. My focus has been not only on nutrition (because I'm diabetic) and technique aspects of the three disciplines, but also on having fun at the same time! I'm here to help you with the tips and tricks of successfully entering the world of triathlons!

FAMILY STATUS: Married/Father of 1 Teenage Son

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently utilizing the Beginner Triathlete's 20 Week Half-Ironman Training Program in addition to utilizing strength and nutritional plan from another source. Due to my diabetes, I work with a sports nutritionist on pre-race, race and post-race nutrition to ensure that I do not go hypoglycemic. Many of the principles of these plans can be used for those without diabetes.

I have two goals for 2007:
* Compete at Wildflower and stay out of the Medical Tent (Had a hypoglycemic event at the 2006 event and ended up in the medical tent.)
* Complete Vineman 70.3 ...... my first 70.3 distance.

2006 RACES:
02/05/2006 Pacific Shoreline Half-Marathon
04/29/2006 Los Angeles Tri Express #2
05/06/2006 Jamba Juice Wildflower Olympic Triathlon
06/10/2006 Los Angeles Tri Express #3
09/17/2006 Disneyland Inaugural Half-Marathon
09/24/2006 9th Annual City of Carpinteria Triathlon
09/30/2006 Steamboat Express Triathlon
10/15/2006 Long Beach International City Bank Half-Marathon

2007 RACES:
02/04/2007 Pacific Shoreline Half-Marathon - Completed
03/10/2007 Pasadena Sprint Triathlon - Completed
04/15/2007 Los Angeles Tri Express #1 - Completed (3rd Place AG)
05/06/2007 Jamba Juice Wildflower Olympic Triathlon - Completed (PB)
05/12/2007 Los Angeles Tri Express #2 - Completed (4th Place AG)
06/09/2007 Los Angeles Tri Express #3
07/22/2007 Vineman 70.3
09/09/2007 Los Angeles Triathlon
09/16/2007 Nautica Malibu Triathlon
09/23/2007 Long Beach Triathlon
10/14/2007 Long Beach International City Bank Half-Marathon

PB = Personal Best

WEIGHTLOSS GOALS: In 2000, I was diagnosed with diabetes. This condition was due to inherited genes, but also due to excessive weight. I have lost over 125 lbs. since 2000. My focus for 2007 is to decrease body fat % level. Since January 2007, I have gone from 25% body fat levels to 17% body fat level. My goal is to be at 15% body fat level by July 22, 2007 and below 13% by the September triathlons.

Edited by Cyclingmaniac 2007-05-18 1:16 AM

2007-05-16 9:00 AM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - OPEN
Hi Rich,

I just committed to doing my first tri this fall, also through Team in Training. I'm encouraged with all of the support that I am getting through that program, though I'm alwasy looking for more, especially since I am a beginner. I think I have a good head start in my training, though I have no idea what I am in for in the long haul. I just know that I am focused, determined, and optimistic that I can do this, and that this race is only the beginning.

I currently have a blog that gets into why I decided to do this, if you want to check it out.
http://energyunplugged.blogspot.com

With your experience with Team in Training, I thought you would be the perfect "online" mentor for me! Let me know!

Andi
2007-05-16 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Andi!

Welcome to the Group! I would be more than happy to assist you with your endeavors! Your blog is GREAT! AND I learned that not only do we have the "Team-In-Training" in common, but I'm originally from Michigan! I was brought up in Warren (actually Centerline!) just off Van Dyke between 10 Mile Rd. and 11 Mile Rd. We use to have a cabin cruiser on Lake St. Claire and fished during the summers ..... a lot!!!! (Something else we have in common!). I take my son Deep Sea fishing now and he loves it!

Also if you need tips on fund raising, I can help in that area, too! I was the Fund Raising Captain for the Greater Los Angeles TNT Cycling Team for three seasons. Tons of ideas! (Have you seen the purple wrist bands similar to the yellow "LIVESTRONG" braclets?) I can also share with you a fundraiser that I did at my son's school. Raised over $800 in coins! It cost me a pizza party!

Again, feel free to ask any questions. Let me know the exact event you are doing and I will research it, too. That way I can be more affective in supporting your training needs.

Gooooooooo TNT!

Rich

2007-05-16 1:37 PM

User image

Houston
Ok this has to be my the mentor group to join!!
I grew up in Michigan-Walled Lake
I got on this site about 6 weeks ago and have been using this site to motivate me.
I have a swimming background EMU EAGLE SWIMMING ALUMNI
I want to better understand how this sport works and I want to be able to compete not just finish.
I would like a mentor to keep me on that track since I am doing this on my own and my buddies (who like happy hours) will be a very big distraction this summer.
Derek Zerber
2007-05-16 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Derek!

Welcome aboard! We may have to rename this group The Michigan Group! I can definitely not only get you through a triathlon, but can also help you become competitive! A lot of people miss the podium due to improper techniques and form in the different disciplines or simply by not checking equipment.

I actually missed my opportunity for a 3rd Place Finish in my age group this last week. I forgot to check my race belt. I put it on for the run and it "fell apart". I wasted a minute or two to try and fix it. It had my fuel on it, too which was necessary. If I had checked it before the race, I wouldn't have had the problem and would have finished either 2nd or 3rd. (1st was already decided...... I was racing against Russ Jones, No. 1 Ranked USAT National Age Group 50-54 from Solano Beach, CA. Grrrrrrrr! He is an awesome triathlete!! )

So when you get a chance, tell me more about yourself, your goals, any plans for your races, weight goals/struggles.

Again, Welcome Derek!

Rich
2007-05-16 9:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hi, Rich!  I'd also like to join your group.  Thanks so much for volunteering your time and energy to help us out!  Here's some information about me:

USERNAME:katzchen55

MY STORY: I was inspired by a friend to start triathlons with the Splash Tri (San Antonio, Texas) about three years ago in an effort to lose weight.  I'm a strong swimmer, an average cyclist, and my run needs significant improvement.  After competing in eight tris so far (7 sprints, 1 oly), my goals are more oriented to improving my trid disciplines and reshaping my body rather than just losing weight.  I'm hooked!  Fitting my workouts in around family, an active church life, and a web design consulting business is a trick.  As a result, I've done most of my training solo - which means I've done a lot of trial and error along the way.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to Derry and we have two children - Liana (7 - she'll do her first tri in July) and Devin (4).  We also have two malamute dogs and two cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: I've adapted the BT oly training plan - run emphasis - for my current schedule and taking into account the sprint tri I have coming up in June. I've scheduled it to peak for the Austin Tri (oly) in early September.  I'm also part of the current abs/core challenge on this site and I'm trying to incorporate one more workout with some upper body strength training each week.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: I was signed up for the CB&I Tri (Woodlands, TX) but it got rained/hailed out, so we just did a 5K.  I did the Danskin (Austin), the Aquarena Springs (San Marcos), and the Dilloman (Austin) - all sprints.

2007 RACES:  I did my first oly at the Lonestar in Galveston in April.  I'll do the Lake Pflugerville Tri (sprint - Pflugerville) in June, the Austin Triathlon (oly) in September, and the Longhorn (sprint- Austin) in October.

WEIGHT LOSS: As I mentioned, I started all of this to lose weight, and I did lose about 30 pounds.  I haven't been able to get those last 15-20 off  just yet, though I've lost a lot of inches from my training.  Right now, I weigh 178 at 5'8", and I'd love to get below 160.

That's it! Looking forward to working with you over the summer.....

PS - Sorry that I don't live in Michigan, but my dad used to live in West Bloomfield....does that count?

Edited by katzchen55 2007-05-16 9:12 PM

2007-05-16 11:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Kat!

Welcome to the group! Look forward to working with you! You have a very good foundation in your experience so I can tell that you will be able to add to the group! Have a couple of questions for you. How frequently are you running? Can you describe your run workouts? How is your nutrition? I'd be curious on the types of food you are consuming and the caloric intake.

And your Dad will qualify you for the Michigan Group! West Bloomfield is close enough!

Again Welcome!

Rich
2007-05-17 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hey, Rich! In answer to your questions:

Running Routine: I'm running 3x a week right now - primarily on my neighborhood streets. I've been incorporating some trail running this month since a couple of my races later this year will be on trails.  My routes are pretty short this week, but I've been extending them, per the BT plan. My longest run ever was a 7.5 miler shortly before the oly.  I've been a bit reluctant to push the run very much b/c I have never run before until I started the training, and I was told as a child that because of some hip problems I've had that I would never be able to run.  Fortunately, I have had no problems at all so far with that, and my dr says as long as I'm not having trouble, keep going! I hope that answers your question....

Nutrition: Ah....there's the bugger.  Mostly what I have been doing is trying to make better choices day by day and working on portion control.  With my busy schedule, I have often just grabbed whatever is available, and that hasn't always been very healthy for me - I'm improving, but still not where I want to be.  I've tried logging my nutrition in the past, but I've run into two problems with that - 1) I end up thinking about my food too much and I'm hungry all the time, so I end up eating more; and 2) the estimates for my metabolism seem to be off (I have hypothyroidism treated with synthroid) and even when I do stick to my calorie allowance, I don't seem to lose weight.  Then I get frustrated and head for the chocolate.

The good news is that I've gone down about 2 lbs this week - maybe it's the additional strength training giving my metabolism a boost? Maybe it's water weight? I dunno, but I'm happy!

At any rate, any advice you have on either topic would be more than welcome!

2007-05-17 8:54 AM
in reply to: #803226

User image

Houston
Does anyone stay in Michigan anymore??
haha

Training:
I started swimming with a masters swim team after a 4 year break from the pool. The commitment of swimming every day felt to much like college so it is hard to keep on a regular schedule. I am the type of guy that is all or nothing, I dont just like to participate but compete. So I thought this would be new challage and a different reason to train. I am still swimming masters I actually have a meet coming up in on June 9th (my birthday).
I have started coaching a swim team from 4-8 every night so it has been hard to get any real training in. Once teaching is over, in 6 DAYS, I will be able to focus more on working hard.

Running will be the hardest part for me because I have never been a fan of it, which also means it is the heardest sport to push myself. Last night was my first 3 mile straight run!

With races, I would like to do one in June just as a trial not to push myself but just to get a feel for all the little peices that go into this sport. I am torn between the swim meet and the TRI.

I am in solid shape for my weight but I would like to get down under 200 by the middle of July.

Struggles:
I am 25 and single and I live downtown so there are MANY opportunities to be out and about.
My diet is changing I am trying to cut out most of the greesy fast foods and cheeses. I have allready cut out almost all of the regualr POP I used to drink. But they taste so delicious!

Thanks for all the help in advance,
Derek
2007-05-17 11:53 AM
in reply to: #804187

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Morning Kat!

First, love Hebrews 12:1! Saw that on your posting.....how inspiriational!

Your running frequency sounds fine. Just follow the BT Oly Plan with the emphasis on the running. I know you may have a time constraint, but if you can throw in an extra run at an easy pace (say PRE of 3 to 4) for 30 minutes, that will help you progress. As a side note, I use perceived effort (PRE) and a heart rate monitor (HR Range 122 - 154). I rely more on the perceived effort than the HR monitor. With respect to your hip, can I suggest three things?

1) Start researching "Sports Doctors"/"Sports Medicine Practioners". I actually have one here in Glendora that works on about 50 to 60 professional athletes and has people fly in from all over. I have a problem with my right knee. After 30 minutes of therapy, I am able (not that I do) to run immediately.

2) General Note to everyone - Look up R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). This is the most affective method of handling pulled or strained muscles.

3) Look into Chi Running. I use the techniques from this running method. Specifically, I use the body alignment aspects, the deep breathing method, and the hill climbing techniques. I mention this, because of the potential hip problem. This method (specifically the alignment) may help avoid issues.

Let's move to nutrition! ......... Aaaaahhhhh the nutrition thing!

I will share with you what I do and see whether this may work for you. If everyone wants, I can go into more detail in a separate post:

Concept #1: Eat to Live, Not Live to Eat!!!

Concept #2: Don't Diet!!!!!!

Concept #3: Eat 5 Meals per day ...... small ones!

Concept #4: Eat protein with carbohydrates for each meal

Concept #5: Progress from "simple carbs" to "complex carbs" throughout the day. Simple carbs examples include potato, wheat bread, wheat pasta. Natural carbs consumed mid-day include your fruits like banana, apples, peaches, etc. Complex carbs are basically your vegetables (the green ones!).

Concept #6: Plan!!!! I prepare Monday through Wednesday meals on Sunday and put them in small "Ziploc" type containers. When I leave for the day, I pull a selection of the pre-prepared meals from the refrigerator along with my fruits and simple carbs like a wheat bread peanut butter sandwich.

This might be helpful, Kat! I noticed one of your goals is to reshape your body. The best way is to reduce body fat %. Using this method, I have gone from 25% to 18% body fat level in about 4 months. I'm probably less now and I've lost 15 lbs. The concepts above might spark some ideas and questions.

Thanks Kat for letting me help!

Rich

2007-05-17 12:58 PM
in reply to: #804327

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Derek!

Note to everyone: Help me remember that Derek's Birthday is on June 9th! (Just in case I forget, Happy Birthday a little early!)

Given that you want to be competitive, I did a little research for you on clubs in your area. You might consider looking into the Houston Racing Triathlon Club. Look up the following website: http://www.houstonracing.com/ Looks like a fairly established club with some solid training programs.

Congratulations on eliminating almost all of your "Pop"! Try to eliminate the rest of it! Can you guess what you should do with the "greesy fast foods and cheeses"? In your previous post you mentioned you were fairly fit at 200lbs. What is your height?

Sooooooo I'm going to be a little hardnosed with you given you want to be competitive! Do you know what your body fat % level is? Competitive triathletes reach a 10% or less body fat percentage. They are lean, mean, endurance machines. I'm going to give you an assignment: Get your body fat % measured by the end of this month. If you belong to a gym, they might have caliphers.

The most accurate method of body fat % measurement is hydrostatic weight testing. This type of testing is where you are submerged in water. The technician is able to determine the amount of lean body mass and fat %. I get my testing done at a local college about every 3 months. My goal is to get to 13% by September. If as a group we want to set up a little competition, we can do that just for kicks and giggles!

Here is one of your goals: "I want to better understand how this sport works and I want to be able to compete not just finish."

I'll give you the first two concepts that I have learned!

Concept #1: The whole purpose of the swim is to get you to the bike, the whole purpose the bike is to get you to the run, the whole purpose of the run is to get you to the finishline!

Concept #2: Slow is smooth, smooth is faster. (Do everything with deliberate planned moves!) If you have been a spectator at a triathlon near a transition area, you will see people frenetically changing shoes, helmets, clothes, etc.

Recapping the three disciplines based upon your posts:

Your swimming doesn't seem like it will be an issue at all. (I'm kind of jealous with your experience. It is perhaps my weakest discipline.)

How's your cycling?

With respect to your running, if you decide to pursue the Houston Racing Triathlon Club, that may help you find a group to work out with. It is more fun and has more accountability if you run with a group. Another option is to find a running shoe specialty store. They may have groups (including co-ed groups) that run from the store. Just some thoughts!

What are your planned workouts over the weekend?

Hope this information is helpful!

Rich

2007-05-17 2:34 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Wow Rich, this is all really great stuff. I think I'm definitely the beginner of the group. Perhaps answering your questions will shed some light. (And then you can see opportunities to help.)

Family status: Married with a very supportive husband and two young daughters (3 and 5). Employed full time, do a lot of volunteer work and have a very busy schedule. But I WILL make time for this not just for health but for raising money to fight cancer.

Current training: I'm just getting started in the TNT plan, following it religiously and sometimes going further than the minimum in the running aspect, mainly because I had a couple month head start on the running. I'll keep track of my activities on my log, so check back often. Just started biking, though it was on a stationary. My road bike comes in tomorrow (hopefully), I'm excited! No swimming as of yet. Swam competively when I was in GRADE SCHOOL, decades ago. haha (I'm 38.) But I can swim, so that's a start.

Goals for 2007: Complete the Nation's Triathlon race and STAY IN SHAPE once it's done, so I can do something like this next year. Also, get in better shape.

Weight loss goals: I'm 148 and holding steady (5"5') but would like to drop to the low 130s (unless I am just solid muscle!). In March, I went on vacation and was moritified at my body, and how heavy I was. I took drastic measures when I got back, and cut out all alcohol, caffiene, MOST carbs (all bread and fruit), and unnatural sugars. This worked GREAT, but I didn't want to do that for too long because I didn't think that was TOO healthy, so I'm eating more breads now, occasional fruits, and have cheated on occasional sugar snacks. Still off the caffiene and alcohol, and haven't had ANY fast food. The fact that I re-introduced carbs probably has a huge impact on why I haven't lost any more weight, but hey, I haven't gained any either, and feel pretty darn good. I'm open for ANY advice on nutrition. My biggest concern is to not overdo it on the carbs and give my body a shock, thus gaining weight. However, I know carbs are needed for this triathlon. So I really need advice on how much to eat. Reintroducing carbs (especially bread) has increased my appetite, and I'm not too happy about that. I liked the no-carb thing because I was NEVER hungry. Loved that!

Looking forward to your response!
2007-05-17 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Hi Rich!

I would like to join your group, if you can fit me in.

USER NAME: cmbcwb3

FIRST NAME: Christine

STORY: I live in Bucks County, PA. I've been doing martial arts for nearly 10 years and towards the end of 2005 suffered a back injury. To stem the tide of weight gain from inactivity after that injury, I took up cycling and in 2006 had my first official season as a cyclist. Did 7 charity events -- started with a 25 mile event -- worked my way up to the MS 150 by the end of the season (rode 80 miles one day and then 80 miles back the next). Fell in love with cycling and bought a road bike right before the MS 150.

I lost 10 pounds over that cycling season. I have reactive hypoglycemia, so nutrition is high on my list of priorities. It also makes weight loss even more challenging. I have at least 20 more pounds to go.

In September 2006, one of my comrades in Taekwon Do left our dojang after class, went for a walk with his wife during a tropical storm and drowned while trying to save his dog from a drainage ditch.

Three of us vowed in November not to take our lives or the time we have for granted and do something extraordinary in honor of him (Tom). We chose something we knew he would agree was crazy -- a triathlon! :-)

FAMILY STATUS: Married with one dog

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been training since December. Big focus on swimming at first, since I haven't done any since I was 12. Doing more running and biking in the past couple of months. Train 4-6x week. Did my first OWS last weekend with the group organizing the Steelman race. Two more coming up.

GOALS: Weight loss. Peak physical condition for my 40th birthday (July 29). FIRST TRIATHLON EVER -- June 23.

2007 Races/Events:
Girls with Gears -- done
Tour de Cure -- May 20
Philadelphia Insurance Sprint Triathlon -- June 23
Bike-a-Thon Century Ride -- July 15
Steelman Sprint Triathlon -- August 12

2007-05-17 3:59 PM
in reply to: #805283

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hi Andi! Thanks for the full bio!

I'm going to have to look into doing the Nation's Triathlon in 2008 or 2009! That looks like such a GREAT venue! The course looks TOTALLY fun! It will be a fast course because there are not a lot of major hills. Definitely my kind of course!

I'm definitely going to encourage you to follow the TNT Coach's plan and it is OK to do a little bit more. If you have questions on the why or how, don't hesitate to ask! I'm sure that they will go over this with you, but when you arrive at the race site, make sure to walk through the transition areas. Literally walk to the swim start point to get a visual of your swim area, walk through the transition area from the Swim In gate to the Bike Out gate, and walk from the Bike In gate to the Run Out. This will give you some orientation to where you go when there is a lot of activity. (Smart racers ...... and this is for Derek, too ...... competitive racers know exactly where they are going.) So your first assignment Andi (and to everyone else) is to learn as much as you can about your race venue. Each of the Triathlon websites have course maps. Study those little puppies!!!

Soooo what kind of bike are you getting? How exciting!!!!!! I'm looking at getting (sound affect from my wife groaning) another bike to add to my collection. I'm looking at the GIANT Trinity A1! It can be used for not only the triathlons, but also qualifies for Time Trial races! Woooo Hoooo!

I see one of your goals is to stay in shape..... the only way that I'm successful at staying in shape is to make sure that I plan my events/participation in advance. My 2007 Season was set in October/November of 2006. I mix it up with rides, runs and triathlons. My 2007 Season listed in my original post doesn't include several 5Ks. My season always has an "A" Race or a race that is my main focus. The other races are B and C races. I focus on different components or aspects of a race in the B and C races so that when my A Race comes up, I have profected the different stages of the race. When we get closer to the end of your program, I may ask you to start thinking about the rest of 2007 and what you might want to do for 2008. Life is a journey ...... triathlons are part of that journey!

If you haven't read my post to Kat, look at the nutrition piece. Carb and Protein together can be very powerful components of an athletes nutrition plan. Portion size is important. Typically, we can absorb about 400 or so calories max per hour. What I mean by this is that in a normal hour, our bodies use up about 200 to 400 calories per hour (non-exercising activities). Looks like you have gotten rid of the fast food items. Think natural foods: Vegetables, fruits, whole grain. As a diabetic, I learned that anything white in my diet (white bread, white rice, potato) turned into sugar faster than I could use it up. The excess sugar translated into fat. I also learned to substitute the white with brown (whole wheat bread and brown rice). It takes the body longer to process the whole wheat bread /brown rice into sugar as opposed to the white bread / white rice. The slower processing of the brown items allowed me to use the sugar/glycogen produced more efficiently and thus prevented less sugar from translating to fat (and prevented my blood sugar from shooting up too high). I use a lot of complex carbohydrates in the later part of the day. They take longer to process, are fewer in calories, and assist in the rebuilding of muscle. Hope this long winded explanation made sense.

I'm going to stop here for now and let you absorb this post. Then ask questions!!! I could probably write a book

Make sure you take a picture of your bike to share with everyone! How exciting it is to get a new bike!

Rich
2007-05-17 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
RIch! HELLO!!

IF AVAILABLE (most likely since it shows its open) I would really like to join your team as well.

Story: I am doing my first Olympic tri this Fall on the day on my b day! Convinced my lil brother to do it with me, so we ahve been consistently training. Have a strong running base- do at least 2 half marathons a year and 10k-5k constantly ( 1 monthly at least). I am psyched about triathlons, and love training since its a complete stress reliever and gets rid of my general daily ADD!! work is quite stressful so I look forward to training.

Definately need some help with Nutrition---> not overwheight, but am trying to recover faster by eating more protein less carbs and dairy. Love organic food fruits and veggiesm YUMY!! i also enjoy a piece of pizza after a race! ha
Would love for someone to help me answer the thousands of questions I have!! Including, fund raising -- am planning on opening a Non profit that joins sports and the arts- runs and auctions. long story will explain later!!

Can't wait to hear more about all of you!!!

Hey Andi Derek kat!! great to know all of you!!
2007-05-17 4:11 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hi!  I would love to join the group. 

Name:  yoblondie/Angela 

Background:  Last September a friend challenged me to run a half marathon with her in February of this year.  I trained all winter for the race and actually completed it in under my goal time.  I was hooked!  She then asked me to do a tri with her so I did and I LOVED it!  I've run a few 5K/10K over the last few months as well.  I have a lot of training ahead of me, but am excited about my potential.  I didn't consider myself a runner until recently so I'm looking forward to changing my mind set on being a biker and swimmer, too.   Like everyone, I'm just trying to balance family life with my own goals of training.  Some days are easier than others.  

Family Status:  I'm 37/married 13 years/mother of 3 kids (9, 5 and 3)  I'm also a part-time  reading teacher to 1st and 2nd graders.

Training:  I followed the Jeff Galloway plan for the half mary, and it worked well for me and my schedule.  I was given a thread from a fellow BTer on improving my swim endurance which I began this week.  I haven't been riding my bike outside, but have taken a few spin classes.  I enjoy taking yoga and a weight lifting class at the gym.  

Weight Goals:  I'm okay with my weight, but would like to tone up.  I recently found out that I have a thyroid condition so exercising is really key for me now to maintain my current weight.  

Goals:  I really enjoy having fun while doing this tri thing.  My goals for my first tri were simple...don't drown, climb the hills without getting off the bike, run the distance without walking and smile across the finish line.  I do want to improve my times in all areas and any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I also want to stay injury free. 

My next race is the Danskin Tri in Austin, June 9-10.  I'm hoping to shave some time off my bike and run.  It's an OWS which I've never done before so I just don't want to drown!

2007-05-17 4:28 PM
in reply to: #805326

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Christine:

Welcome to the Group!!!! We have Andi, Katz, Derek and yourself! We just opened the group on Tuesday so you haven't missed much at all. Again WELCOME!!!

In honor of Tom, I am honored to help you with your "crazy" endeavor! Can you tell I like cycling, too (with my handle being "Cyclingmaniac")? My wife refers herself as a "bike widow"!

I see you are about 35 miles north of Philadelphia. This might be a little difficult to find some training partners ....... I tend to push training partners because there is a level of accountability and less workouts are missed. I looked up and found Philadelphia Triathlon Club. They might have members in your neck of the woods. They also support women club members .... (not all clubs are women friendly.) Let it not be misunderstood, there are plenty of women that can kick a man's behind without breaking a sweat! We have a group of women that competed in last years 508 (mile long distance non-stop cycling) event that took them over the Sierra Nevada mountain range and they took 7th Place Overall / 1st in Women's Division. They are outrageously AWESOME athletes.

With respect to your reactive hypoglycemic condition, I'm quite sure nutrition is important. Can I ask you to list the items that you have tried while cycling? As an FYI, I'm testing with my sports nutritionist the Ironman forumula from InfinIT. It is a combination of sports drink (in powder form) with endurolytes. I'll let you know how that works. I tend to go hypoglycemic during race events. My whole goal for Wildflower Tri this year was to stay out of the medical tent to avoid the two IV 10% Dextrose solution bags. (SUCCESS!!!)

Can I also suggest that you treat your Tour de Cure (THANKS!!!) and your Philadelphia Insurance Sprint Triathlons as "training events". Test your nutrition on the Tour de Cure and just become familiar with triathlons with the June 23rd triathlon. (I'm going to guess that the Philadelphia Triathlon Club will either have a booth or have some gathering place of their team members. GREAT opportunity to network and get to know them. Looks like they have some great training opportunities that you could capitalize upon.)

I'm glad you are getting the open water swims (OWS) in with the Steelman Tri group. That was very smart on your part!

Last thing! Are you following any type of a plan? (I haven't checked the training logs yet!)

Again, Christine ... WELCOME! Don't hesitate to ask any questions!

Rich

2007-05-17 4:50 PM
in reply to: #805500

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
WELCOME Angela!!!

I'm so glad you joined our group ...... balancing family, work and training is a definite challenge. It is not easy. So we will have a continuing dialogue on what is most important to you. Collectively we can all join in this discussion. I'm including everyone because all of us are either balancing work and training with family or friends. They can either be supportive or a distraction.

I want to also THANK YOU for not being afraid to articulate a fear. Your first goal for your first triathlon is not to drown. It is very common for people doing their first or second triathlon to have a fear of drowning. I'm guessing that you are using a wetsuit(?). If no, you may consider it (you can rent wetsuits.) Wetsuits are very bouyant. They also help you become very aerodynamic.

Kudos on using the BT Sprint Training with the Swim Endurance focus. Are you using the 16 Week or 20 Week program? Are you starting from the beginning of the plan? I'm using the BT Half-Ironman for the Vineman 70.3 and tested my progress at Wildflower...... it is kind of the Woodstock of Triathlons for the West Coast......30,000 plus camping..... it was my personal best time at that venue. So these plans are affective. (I think there should be a time adjustment, but right now I'm posted at 78th Overall out of 2700 racers.)

Do you think you will do other triathlons after Danskin Tri - Austin?

Looking forward to working with you Angela!

Rich
2007-05-17 5:02 PM
in reply to: #805492

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Definitely welcome carustol!

Do me a favor .... if you could do a bio similar to Andi's, Angela's, Kat's or others, that will be very helpful. That is GREAT that your brother is a training partner! Little sibling rivalry? I know what that is like with 7 brothers and sisters.

I'm your man for nutrition. If I don't have an answer for you, I will research it. By the sounds of it, we may just need to fine tune the nutrition piece. You may be eating more carbs than you think in the form of veggies (which isn't a bad thing). I think what you might be decreasing is the breads, cereals, flour based products.

I may actually have you do a simple nutrition diary for a week to see what you are eating, how frequent and quantities. (Everyone else might consider the same thing if you want some feedback on your eating habits ..... except for Derek ..... I don't want you to eat more by just thinking about food while you record the information! LOL!)

You can start asking your questions anytime!

WELCOME to the group carustol!

Rich
2007-05-17 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Thank you for your warm welcome Rich!!! hello everyone! ( Sorry for not being more specific and adequately categorizing! ha! )

Name: Carolina, call me Caru

Bio: 25, baby attorney and artist, moved back to Miami from Oklahoma, not married but have a 7 month old puppy. Work all day, love my job. My entire family runs competitively, so everyone is constantly "training" somewhere. I'm the weird one that wants to Tri!!

Training plan: I've been trying to follow BT Oly training plan, but generally try to do SBR each at least twice a week. Then on the weekend one day I do a little triathlon with the lil brother (he is my training partner!!). I am strong at running, but not that great at bike or swimming, I keep zig zaging in open water... frankly, I'm a bit scared since I get tired easily when swimming.
I've been spinning at least 4 times a week, awesome cardio. I found a team that trains on saturdays in my area( found them through BT). They are doing the 70.3 Him this Sunday. Not sure I'm ready to train with them...

Goals:
Want to do a sprint distance June 24th( haven't signed up).
Have signed up for the Escape to Miami triathlon on Sept. 23rd!
Run Tokyo Marathon with my entire family next year
Improve my times!
Have more knowledge on Nutrition, bikes, HR, tri rules and more!!!

I know I will be into tri for life, so i can't wait!!!!

2007-05-17 6:05 PM
in reply to: #805632

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Caru! You animal!!!!!! The Escape from Miami Tri in September! Girl, we have some work to do, BUT I know you can do it! If you have done multiple marathons, you can do this event.

I'm going to suggest a few things for you!

1) For fun, go ahead and enter the June 24th event just to experience triathlons and have fun! Get ready to laugh, don't worry about where you place or how you finish...the main thing is to just go out and have TOTAL FUN!!!!!!!

2) Latch onto that triathlon team that trains on Saturday. If you don't latch onto them this week, make contact with them and try to get out with them no later than next Saturday. Tell them you are a newbie and you are doing your first Oly in September. Be honest. They most likely won't give you attitude, but will be very helpful! See if they know of a swim clinic or if there is someone that can help you with your swimming. If that doesn't work, can you find a Swim Master's Group?

3) Pull the BT Olympic 16 Week Training Plan with an emphasis on the Swim ...... and follow it religiously. I am suggesting that you work on your swim due to the Oly swim course. You may fight a current, so you want to go in to this event with your best possible swim technique. This is not an endurance issue in your case.... it is pure technique which I'm sure you can master between now and September 23rd.

So let's start there! You are going to do GREAT!!!!!!!!! Now it is time to start with your questions..... that includes everyone ...... what are your questions!

Thanks Caru! We will definitely be helping you and rooting you on!

Rich

2007-05-17 9:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Rich!
Thank you so much for all your feedback. Most definately, I will register for the tri in June (will convince my lil brother to register as well!). I think the approach will be to just have fun as you suggest!!1 im excited!

I will start training with the local tri team on saturdays! they seem very nice!
I am also joining a tri program that starts June 2nd, its mostly for swimming and running. So I think I am lucky and will have people available to help me with the swimming portion. They have a beginner program or a strictly for Olys program that ends with the Escape to Miami tri. Which one do you suggest I do? I have been swimming in open water and although its way difficult, I think I am improving significantly. At least when dealing with the fears of OW and also the fatigue. Obviously this is my weakness, and as such will work on it.

I will follow the program religiously!! promise!!! I will absooultely take advantage of your knowledge regarding nutrition, and will be logging my meals for the next week. Thank you for that I appreciate it.

Looks like everyone here has some awesome goals and seem to be motivated by very significant events or objectives!! for me that is the biggest incentive when you join a team!!!

thanks again Rich and all!
2007-05-17 9:55 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

It's great to hear others have had success with the BT plans.  I'm using the 16 week program and I started with week one.  I was able to get 2 swims in this week.  By the time I do the Danskin, I will have had several weeks in the water so I'm hopeful that I'll feel comfortable enough to make it through.  I'm also doing the tri with another BTer...Texmom.  We train together throughout the week which is very helpful.  I don't have a wetsuit at this time, but am thinking about renting one for the tri in June.  Of course, I'll get it early so I can test it out before I actually use it. 

I plan on doing another sprint tri in October.  It's the same course that I did this May except it will be woman only.  I would really like to shave off some time in all events.   I'm also going to run my first marathon in December...White Rock in Dalllas.  I would like to find one more sprint tri before October's race though.  In July, I'm running a 25K which begins at midnight.  For some strange reason, it sounds exciting to me. 

One area that I'm really clueless in is nutrition.  I need information on what to eat before and during races.  I always feel hydrated, but I don't feel like I have the fuel I need to give it my all.  For the sprint, I needed a little something to get me moving.  I tried the sports beans and it was just enough so I didn't feel crummy at the end of my race.  For the half mary, I ate nothing and plumaged about 2 hours after I completed the run.  Any suggestions?  Also, I need more explanation about tapering.  How much?  When?  Why?

Thanks Rich for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help us newbies!  This is an exciting time!

Angela 

2007-05-17 10:04 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Hi Rich!! Do you have room for one more? I hope so!!!

Name: Barb/RunningJayhawk

Background: I went from an anti-runner...to a runner...to a distance runner...and now, hopefully, to a triathlete. I, too, am a charity runner with TNT. The Chicago Marathon will be my 3rd TNT event and my 2nd time mentoring. I started running with the intent of running a marathon. Basically...I had just landed from skydiving and thought to myself "what next?" Later that night I decided I would run a marathon. Almost three years later, I'm still running strong. A little health quirk I have is that I am highly prone to spontaneous pneumothoraces (lung collapse). It has put me in the hospital in the past, so anything my heart rate gets up to the point where I'm breathing heavily and quickly, I'm in a danger zone. Which...as you can imagine...can make for some challenges with training and racing. But I've learned to work around that issue and I can tell when an episode is coming on. Luckily it doesn't happen very often. But when it does it can sideline me for a few days depending on the severity.

Family Status: I am 25 and married for almost three years to my husband Mike (who, as of this Saturday, will be a triathlete!). No kids yet, but we have an orange tabby, Wrigley, and a black pug named Phog Allen. If you didn't gather from their names, we are indeed big sports nuts. Together, we live in a fabulously small condo in downtown Chicago.

Training: I'm currently training for the Chicago Marathon this October following the Pfitzinger plan. I don't know if you're familiar with it...but it's a hell of a lot of miles each week and we usually run 4-5 times, including regular lactate threshold runs and strides, in addition to a long run. I'm hoping to stick with it, but fear it may get to be too much and I'm open-minded to adapting the mileage (some weeks we hit 50+ miles...someone remind me why I thought this was a brilliant idea?). Even though I run...obsessively and excessively...I'm slow. And I'm okay with that. Most days I'm lucky to maintain a sub 12:00 pace. I enjoy being the pack of the pack...if I'm going to be on the course, I may as well take my time and enjoy the scenery. Right?!

As far as training programs for the Tri go...I'm not exactly following a specific plan. I'm getting in the pool once or twice a week...and clearly running is covered. My biggest problem is getting my butt on the bike and doing it. I'm not gunna lie. The bike scares the crap out of me (as do my clip shoes). I invested a lot of money in my beautiful cannondale, and if anyone can get me motivated to get back in the saddle, I figure it has to be the cyclingmaniac. I have a plan specific for the Danskin Tri from Sally Edwards' program...but I'm struggling with how to combine tri training with marathon training (I'm aiming for my first sub-5:00 marathon this year). So I'm sort of winging it as I go and plan on incorporating brick workouts soon.

Weight Goals: Hahahaa...I'd love to be 20 pounds lighter. But in reality...I'd simply love to be a little more tone...and if the pants are a bit looser, than rock on. I can't complain too much about my body. Although how I've managed to gain weight over my past 2 marathon training programs is beyond me.

Goals: Right now my goal is just to finish with a respectable time...and get myself comfortable on the bike. It'd be great to not be last, too! I have a time goal in mind, but I know that's just a number...regardless of my time I know it'll be an awesome experience, so I try not to let myself get too caught up in numbers. My lifetime athletic goal would be to complete Steelhead or another awesome half IM and run a 50k race.

Races: My first tri will be the Danskin Women's Tri in Pleasant Prairie, WI on July 8th. Ideally, I'd like to pick up an indoor tri later in the summer/early fall if I can wing it with my marathon training. I was supposed to be doing the Galena Sprint this weekend, but didn't feel comfortable with the bike (and Galena is super hilly), so I pulled all together in fear of injuring myself. In retrospect, I guess I could've walked the bike up the hills. I'm so lame. But anyhoo, I've got a handful of additional races planned...

JP Morgan Corporate Challenge 3.5 mile run
Great Midwest Relay - 190 mile relay (my combined total is 14)
The Danskin Tri
LATE Ride - 25 mile bike
Women's 10k run
Chicago Distance Classic half marathon
Chicago Marathon
(and likely another 5k somewhere in there)

So that's me in a nutshell! I'm looking forward to your wisdom, guidance, and occassional whip cracking to get me on my bike! And just so ya know...I'm going to be asking a lot of dumb questions, so consider yourself warned.
2007-05-18 1:08 AM
in reply to: #805874

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Barb!

Welcome to the group!! That is great that you are raising funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. If you get a chance, you and Andi should chat about fund raising! You can swap ideas.

Sky diving to triathlons? Yikes! What a progression!

Now with this little thing about the lung collapse. (I'm going to guess that you do have medical clearance?) Just be aware of elevated HR when you come out of the water.....you are going from a prone position to an upright position. This may elevate your HR, cause dizziness, and dis-orientation for a couple of seconds......not everyone feels these effects, but if you do, it isn't uncommon. Have you talked to your coach(es) about this? I'm sure you have, but I just have to ask. The one thing I will have you keep in your mind is to take it easy on the swim.

This bike thingie! If you road a bike when you were young, you can master the bike now. (If you fall while clipped in, unclip your feet, get up, dust yourself off and get back on the bike again.) I've fallen / crashed several times.

Let's briefly talk about the bike....It isn't riding the bike that scares you. It is crashing because you can't clip out..... am I right? So, get on the bike, clip in, and practice clipping out well before you stop. Keep trying this until you feel very comfortable with that skill. Then start decreasing the amount of time between when you clip out and stop. Best place to do this is in a big, open (with no cars) parking lot. Remember that you are in control of that machine (i.e. the bike). It doesn't control you.

Given that this is your first tri, just have fun! Don't get wrapped up in time. I was talking with my training partner about the concept of letting the race come to you. There may be many elements that prevent you from doing what you think is your fastest time. At some point during the race, you will find your groove or zone. When you find it, use it. As an example, tonight when I was running through very hilly terrain, it wasn't until Mile 4 or 5 that I finally found my form, technique and zone. As soon as I found it, I went from doing 10 minute miles to below 8 minute miles.

The balancing of your marathon training and your triathlon training. So given that you have completed marathons and you have a strong base, can I suggest that you continue with your marathon training and start using the BT Sprint Training Plan. Throw the runs out and just follow the swim and bike workouts. That is what I would do. You might talk with your Marathon coaches for some advice, too.

I'm going to also suggest that you record your nutrition each day for the next seven days. Then report it out here. We can all look at it and make suggestions. Everyone can learn from your plan as well as others.

With your goals and your past participation in endurance events, the sprint and triathlons in general will be a piece of cake for you. You have some excellent goals and I'm quite sure you will achieve them.

So now it is time to start asking questions!!!!

Looking forward to working with you Barb!

Rich
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46