BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-01-30 12:20 PM
in reply to: #1183493

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes!

gatjr33 - 2008-01-30 7:34 AM Ronen, Second Asics. They work for me and as I said previously, I have shopped around. I always ended up back with Asics.

Thank you all for sharing your experience and for the good advices. Since I started, I used only Asics Gel Kayano XIII (- Men's Stability Running Shoe) - as the first SP recommended me back when I started. The only reason I started looking for a different type/brand is the uncomfortable sense that I start to feel (in the front, bottom part of my feet) after running  for about 5 miles...

Thanks again!

2008-01-30 12:47 PM
in reply to: #1183484

User image

Expert
Hawaii

gatjr33 - 2008-01-30 4:30 AM
jesswah - 2008-01-29 9:27 PM So, there's a local 5K/10K/Half on Sunday. Thinking of doing the 10K just to see how fast I can go. I did this race 3 years ago as my fist ever 10K. I had thought that my time was 1:01 or 1:03 something. Nope. 1:07:45. Damn! That's 10:54/mile. That's a lot slower than I thought I ran. Nothing like some good proof of just how far I've come. My second 10K (last April) was 54-something.
Jess, That is a huge jump. It just goes to show you what you can do if you put in the time and effort. For me, motivation comes from looking back and comparing results to where you are now. Progress like yours just motivates you to work that much harder. Good job!!

x2!  Good luck this weekend.  Let us know how the 10K goes.   

2008-01-30 3:09 PM
in reply to: #1184000

User image

Most running shoes are designed for not-so-average, weekend warrior joggers. You Ronen are a Runner.

Provided you have a semi-neutral gait and average arches - you might not need a stability shoe. Many runners do not. And if you don't need a stability shoe after running long distances your feet will hurt. But if the Asics shoe fits your foot may I recommend a shoe that many runners (especially on runnersworld.com) sware by:

light weight trainers:

*** Asics Gel-Speedstar II *** 8.9 oz - http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=240007...

I used the Speedstar II for my first (and only ) marathon. It's a light shoe at 8.9oz but it has a wide platform in front and just a hint of stability. It allows you to land nicely and freely on your mid to forefoot. It also allows you to feel the road. It breathes very nicely and provides a nice smooth ride even at the higher miles. It's the perfect long distance shoe for me because it's "enough" shoe to take you long, but it's not bulky at all and it's designed for speed with a lower heel then most trainers. I lower heel is critical for increasing your running cadence. Your calves may be a little sore for the first couple weeks but eventually you'll adapt and your legs will be stronger.

The other shoe is any lightweight trainer in this weight category 8-9 oz. I've heard great things about Saucony, New Balance and Addidas. The Kayano is 12.9 oz. That's 30% extra shoe then you might need. 30% extra plastics and foam cushions that are not allowing you to feel the road and making it that your foot may be striking the ground un-naturally.

Oh, and you can always shell out the big bucks for Newtons. A LOT of tri-guys and gals sport these: http://www.newtonrunning.com/run_better.php When I get the cash I'm gonna try a pair of their racers. Many people sware by these shoes, but they a 150 bucks and only last 250 miles at prime.

I used to run in Asics Nimbus 13+ oz, and the best thing I ever did for my running was get rid of those cushioned bricks.

Edited by Dream Chaser 2008-01-30 3:31 PM
2008-01-30 3:12 PM
in reply to: #1184080

User image

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

Gator duuude, you keep cracking me up. The post with intimidating the smaller swimmers to the post about finishing last as opposed to second to last is great stand-up material. Thanks for making this thread fun.

Here's a map of the course I am running. It's pancake flat with very few turns. I'm psyched.
My fastest 5k is 20:49 on an extremely hilly course.
http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=106377
2008-01-31 7:38 AM
in reply to: #1184535

User image

Expert

I envy all you runners!! I had a swim "lesson" last night with my room mate from college. He was a Division 3 nationals qualifier in several events back in 95 and he still coaches at our school (Nazareth College here in Rochester). So, I met him at the pool and we went over some stuff. The womens team was practicing so I was kind of embarrased about being fat and old (Where were those chicks in 95??? Yikes!!).  Anyhow, he nicely and politely pointed out all my flaws.  I would recommend this to all of you. It will take a lot of work for me to break the bad habits I worked so hard to create.....Or just go to a college campus and check out the hot chicks. If you don't bother them you won't get arrested.

Happy Thursday!!

2008-01-31 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1090400

User image

Regular

Hey guys! School stared last week and its been crazy. I have been working out and checking the site, but not taking the time to log (im a total slacker

I am sitting in physiology right now, this might be my best time to log ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

It sounds like everybody is doing a great job, I promise I won't bring the group down any more.

Everybody keep up the great work!

2008-01-31 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1184522

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
DC,

You make a good point about the light weight shoes. I guess once I found a shoe that I was comfortable with I just stopped looking. The part that catches my attention, being the analytical kind of guy that I am, is the 30% lighter. Assuming that this type of shoe supported your feet sufficiently, I would think that the lesser weight over a long course would make a difference in time. Maybe I am just looking for the magic bullet.

Good information!!
2008-01-31 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1185688

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
gator22 - 2008-01-31 7:38 AM

I envy all you runners!! I had a swim "lesson" last night with my room mate from college. He was a Division 3 nationals qualifier in several events back in 95 and he still coaches at our school (Nazareth College here in Rochester). So, I met him at the pool and we went over some stuff. The womens team was practicing so I was kind of embarrased about being fat and old (Where were those chicks in 95??? Yikes!!).  Anyhow, he nicely and politely pointed out all my flaws.  I would recommend this to all of you. It will take a lot of work for me to break the bad habits I worked so hard to create.....Or just go to a college campus and check out the hot chicks. If you don't bother them you won't get arrested.

Happy Thursday!!

Gator22,

You should be happy that you have someone that knows what they are doing helping you out. It will make a difference. I took some lessons from a Division I coach. She was very pleasant to work with and it helped a great deal. I am sure that she was just watching me swim and rolling her eyes. However, she was kind enough not to let me see her do this. She was able to point out several things that I should focus on and to give me some drills to work on. At the end of the day though, she basically said "Dude, your stroke is not bad. If you want to be a better swimmer, get in the water....A LOT!" She said that if you wanted to see big gains as a swimmer, you need to get in the pool several times a week. Kind of made sense when she said it.
2008-01-31 3:53 PM
in reply to: #1186819

User image

When I switched from trainers to flats (and I do use light weight trainers) within the same exact time I went from running 8 minute miles to 7 minute miles. I don't believe it was a coincidence. And the few times I tried my trainers back on, I felt like I was going to break an ankle! The motion, stability and cushion shoes tell your foot, and guide your foot with every strike. A flat or lightweight trainer allows you, your brain, to tell you how to plant your foot each strike because you can feel the road. I went from a $110 nimbus to a $55.00 Gel-Hyper flat and it was the best thing to ever happen to my running. The gel-hyper is the same exact shoe Ryan Hall used to go sub 1 hour for the US 1/2 marathon record. This shoe is extremely cushiony for a flat. There is an adjustment period because there is less shoe and the heel is lower, but it's amazing how much faster you run, how much better my feet feel, and how awesome the running experience is when you can feel some ground beneath you. I love them so much, I own three pairs. To be honest, it took me approx 2.5 months to get fully used to them, but my God was it worth it. Just some food for thought. And it does have "Gel" and a mid-foot support.

http://www.holabirdsports.com/m/Running/Running-Shoes_Men/Asics/p2/...

http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=240010...
2008-01-31 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1186819

User image

gatjr33: When I switched from trainers to flats (and I do use light weight trainers) within the same exact time I went from running 8 minute miles to 7 minute miles. I don't believe it was a coincidence. And the few times I tried my trainers back on, I felt like I was going to break an ankle! The motion, stability and cushion shoes tell your foot, and guide your foot with every strike. A flat or lightweight trainer allows you, your brain, to tell you how to plant your foot each strike because you can feel the road. I went from a $110 nimbus to a $55.00 Gel-Hyper flat and it was the best thing to ever happen to my running. The gel-hyper is the same exact shoe Ryan Hall used to go sub 1 hour for the US 1/2 marathon record. This shoe is extremely cushiony for a flat. There is an adjustment period because there is less shoe and the heel is lower, but it's amazing how much faster you run, how much better my feet feel, and how awesome the running experience is when you can feel some ground beneath you. I love them so much, I own three pairs. To be honest, it took me approx 2.5 months to get fully used to them, but my God was it worth it. Just some food for thought. And it does have "Gel" and a mid-foot support.

http://www.holabirdsports.com/m/Running/Running-Shoes_Men/Asics/p2/...

http://www.asicsamerica.com/products/product.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=240010...
2008-02-01 12:48 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Thanks again for the valuable information guys! I must admit that I learn a whole lot by reading what you have to say and actually take notes to take with me to the store whenever I'll go. It makes a big difference to know what to look for and what to ask.

I also must admit, that I never really payed and attention to the weight of the shoe. I kind of knew that it rather be light that heavy, but never really checked the actual weight of the shoes I was looking at before purchasing any of them.

On a side note - I checked the Newton web site DC had posted a couple of posts ago, and must admit that their technology seem pretty cool. Not that I understand a whole lot about it, but their web site does a nice job demonstrating why their design is superior over others'. I am actually curious to find out how it feels to run with those shoes compared to others...

2008-02-02 6:10 PM
in reply to: #1188244

User image

Expert

Hey all, happy weekend! I am bored and stuck at work until at least 3:30 a.m.  I wanted to tell everyone to check out John Gardner's auction on this site. It is listed under the Picabo Street Auction Forum. It is to raise money for child advocacy centers. John works for the Illinois State Police. I use one of the centers here in Rochester for kids that have been raped or sexually abused.  It is a great place. The auction has some cool tri stuff, so check out the thread for the next month.

And squeeze for the Giants tomorrow!!!

2008-02-03 11:19 AM

User image

Had a fun time at the race but not the results I was looking for. Back to the drawing board. I put up some quick notes on my log. I gotta run and take an ice bath and take care of the kids.

GO GIANTS!
2008-02-03 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
A friend asked if I had fun at my 5k.  The question kind of took me back.  All I could think of was how far from fun it was.  It was hard work.  So I thought why would I drive 40 miles and pay $25 bucks to work hard.  It occured to me that it was the challenge of completing something hard that made me feel so good.  So, yeah, I had fun.
2008-02-03 7:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee

My challange results for the week:

01/28/08  Goal        4:30         3:00       0:30           8:00

Actual     5:17         3:44       0:45           9:46  (122.1%)

I will submit my next weeks goals tomorrow.  I have some taper factor I need to work in.

2008-02-04 8:10 AM
in reply to: #1192455

User image

Expert

Dream Chaser....You had a pretty fast time. I am too lazy to go back and see how old you are, but I bet you were top 5 in your AG with it....

I was a little short on my running last week because of work stuff.  This week is recovery for me so my goals will be a lttle more conservative...I am still feeling the pounding in my head from all the screaming at the game last night....WOW!!!!

2008-02-04 8:57 AM
in reply to: #1192444

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
At the end of the day, that is what it is all about...having fun. You may not enjoy every moment of the race, because there will likely be some discomfort but on some level you are having fun. I have had the same thoughts while racing. I can recall racing Timberman two years ago in the pouring rain. I was soaked, in the middle of the run, feeling like I had no energy, hurting badly, and I remember thinking...I paid to race today??? I finished the race. I did not have a great race, but I enjoyed it. I often think back to that day and smile. In an odd sort of way, it was fun.

Nice work last week!!
2008-02-04 9:02 AM
in reply to: #1191994

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
DC,

It is pretty frustrating when you are looking to hit a certain time and you come up short. Keep working and it will come. To give you a little perspective though, I would love to run a sub 21 minute 5K. Actually, I do not run many 5Ks so I am not sure what I could do, but I know that I tend to run around 22 - 23 at the end of a sprint tri. That is really pushing it for me.

Also, Congrats on the Giants!! I am sure that you and Gator22 are quite happy. I will add that even I, a humbled Cowboy fan, was pulling for the Giants.
2008-02-04 9:54 AM

User image

Thanks for the support everyone. Like gatjr33 pointed out, it's frustrating setting a time goal and not hitting it. I know from where I rank that my times are reasonably fast (and I am very grateful to be able to run that fast) but I still get disappointed when I set a time goal and don't even come close. And that's when I have to analyze why, and I've come to the conclusion that I am not physically ready yet to run such a time and ultimately I set an unreasonable expectation. So what am I going to do about it? I'm going stay the course, create a new plan (hit the TRACK once a week for SPEED WORK, lose a few more lbs) and in three to four months give her another go.

Here are my Goals and results from last week, and my new goals for this week:

Swim goal - 2800m --- actual - 2100: 75% of Goal

Bike goal - 40 miles --- actual - 19.47: 49% of Goal

Run goal - 25 miles --- actual - 16.41: 66% of Goal

When I set my goals last week, I should have paid closer attention and realized this was a taper or step-down week in my training plan, and I was also going to intentionally take it easy as I had the race on Sunday. All that said, I am going to leave my goals the same for this week.

Swim - 2800m ; Bike - 40 miles ; Run 25 miles
2008-02-04 11:02 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Hi everyone!

Here are my last week's results:

Swim: Goal: 5,750 yards;  Actual: 5,550 yards (96.5%)

Bike:   Goal: 60 miles;       Actual: 32.93 miles (54.9%

Run:   Goal: 190 min.;        Actual: 218 min. (114.7%)

I decided to put some more emphasis last week on running (in preparation to the upcoming 1/2 marathon) than biking so this shows up in the goals vs. actual results.  

As I am planning to do the same this week, I took that into account setting my new goals. So here are my goals for this week:

Swim: 3,750 yards; Bike: 30 miles; Run: 200 min.

I hope everyone is doing well! 

2008-02-04 12:07 PM
in reply to: #1193347

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Last week's results:

S: goal 2:30 hours, actual 1:05
R: goal 3:30 hours, actual 2:22
B: goal 3:30 hours, actual 3:30
C/W: goal 2:00 hours, actual 1:30
Total: goal 11:30 hours, actual 8:27

Fell a bit shy of what I would consider stretch goals. A good week of training overall. Will look to accomplish the following this week. Again, this will be a stretch, but isn't this suppose to be challenging?

Goals:Swim 2:30 hours, Run 3:30 hours, Bike 5:00 hours, C/W: goal 1:30 hours, total 12:30

If all goes well, this should be a good week of training. We shall see. Best of luck to everyone this week.

2008-02-04 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii

Nice run, Dream Chaser...despite any thoughts you have otherwise!

Here are my numbers for this past week:
Swim: 2 hrs. 45 mins. (100%)
Bike: 5 hrs. 15 mins. (105%)
Run: 2 hrs. 24 mins. (102%)

This week I want to:
Swim: 3 hrs.
Bike: 6 hrs.
Run: 2 hrs. 50 mins.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. 

2008-02-06 8:52 AM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
As I think about my wet, slushy run yesterday, and look out the window at the snow falling, which is suppose to continue until tomorrow, I am thinking that my only recourse is the treadmill today. I am really going to have to find some motivation to get a run and swim in today.

Anyway, I thought that it might be a good time to share some tricks of the trade. You know, things that you do or have learned over the course of your training or racing that either helps you from being injured, damaged or just plain race better.

For example.....and don't ask me how I know.

1. Lubrication can be important when wearing a wetsuit. Constant rubbing without lubrication can cause painful rashes. I have read this several times, however, the best advice I got was to use Pam on your lower legs. The first couple of times that I raced, I had a difficult time getting my suit off my legs. Once someone told me to use Pam and I did, suit comes off quickly and easily. Saves time. Also, if there are strippers (no not that kind), let them help you get your wetsuit off. This saves time as well. Finally, if you are wearing a chip around your ankle, use caution when getting your suit stripped off, as it can slip right off and you may not notice this until you are off on the bike (or so I am told).

So, share your tricks or ask some questions. I find that there are so many approaches to tri's that no one person can possibly know all of the good tricks.
2008-02-06 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1192925

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Gator22,

I suspect being from the Rochester area that if you are going to work on your run this week that you are in the same boat that I am. Run in the snow or hit the treadmill, which is it going to be?
2008-02-06 1:27 PM
in reply to: #1196769

User image

Expert
Hawaii

So, share your tricks or ask some questions. I find that there are so many approaches to tri's that no one person can possibly know all of the good tricks.

This is the only thing that comes to mind...

Sometimes in transition I have a hard time finding my spot.  I usually can get to the general area, but spend some extra time trying to pinpoint my area.  I usually place all my transition stuff on a small towel, and have now written my name in rather large green letters on the edge of that towel (so it faces the transition isle).  It’s helped.  Despite any transition haziness (what do my shoes look like? Was I across from this tree or that?) I can usually spot my name once I get close to my transition spot. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesswah's group - FULL of sexy triathletes! Rss Feed  

of 18