Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 137

2009-09-21 11:44 AM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL
OK I got a wetsuit sunday, after the swim. Its a free loaner from my swim coach. Its an Orca and fits so the price is perfect. Anywho I was shimying my arse in the thing Sunday evening. Got it on walked around, passed the mirror, flexed, reminded my wife how good she has it. Asked is we still had the plastic kiddy pool so I could fill it up in the front yard and waller around a bit. Got an instant "no". The issue is it feels like it bunches a little in the armpit and sorts either pinches, rubs funny, pull hairs as I move my arm in a stroke like motion. Any insight on fixes/what the issue is.

2009-09-21 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2417718

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
I would need a picture of you in the kiddie pool before I make a decision.   I'm no help here as I avoid swimming in a wetsuit.

Is Monday over yet?

Newtons1st - 2009-09-21 11:44 AM OK I got a wetsuit sunday, after the swim. Its a free loaner from my swim coach. Its an Orca and fits so the price is perfect. Anywho I was shimying my arse in the thing Sunday evening. Got it on walked around, passed the mirror, flexed, reminded my wife how good she has it. Asked is we still had the plastic kiddy pool so I could fill it up in the front yard and waller around a bit. Got an instant "no". The issue is it feels like it bunches a little in the armpit and sorts either pinches, rubs funny, pull hairs as I move my arm in a stroke like motion. Any insight on fixes/what the issue is.
2009-09-21 12:39 PM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
BodyGlide first... but, you want some slack in the shoulders - pull the sleeves up about 1-2 inches above the wrist so that you have room in the armpit shoulder area.  Pulling hairs - sounds like you need some manscapin' action.

Dude, the way you tell your story and describe the kiddie pool thing.... LMAO!!!  You so funny!
2009-09-21 12:43 PM

User image

EvD & BvD... if y'all want some hills.  Chappell Hill - 60-64 mile route is your answer.  Non Stop hills, up and down, rollers and some semi-steep long ones... I was very impressed with the course overall.  I can send ya the map if you want.  EvD if BSLT is truly on the radar... this is a great course.  Fattyfatfat did an elevation comparison and we climbed twice as much elevation overall than we did in BSLT.  My legs were more sore after yesterdays ride then they were after the century...and that ride had a few hills (rollers) on it too.  Lots of cyclists out there too!

2009-09-21 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2417864

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Should I be shaving under there? And by under there I mean armpits.

Trin2bfast - 2009-09-21 12:39 PM BodyGlide first... but, you want some slack in the shoulders - pull the sleeves up about 1-2 inches above the wrist so that you have room in the armpit shoulder area.  Pulling hairs - sounds like you need some manscapin' action.

Dude, the way you tell your story and describe the kiddie pool thing.... LMAO!!!  You so funny!
2009-09-21 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2417979

User image

ME... I say copious amounts of bodyglide... no shavin' the pits.  BUT, do as you seem fit

Newtons1st - 2009-09-21 1:13 PM Should I be shaving under there? And by under there I mean armpits.

Trin2bfast - 2009-09-21 12:39 PM BodyGlide first... but, you want some slack in the shoulders - pull the sleeves up about 1-2 inches above the wrist so that you have room in the armpit shoulder area.  Pulling hairs - sounds like you need some manscapin' action.

2009-09-21 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2418057

User image

Master
Houston
LOL! Justin, you missed an opportunity here! Shave it all haha.

Body glide should help and pull that wetsuit up so it hugs your boys... it'll give you more flexibility in the shoulders.

Trin2bfast - 2009-09-21 1:39 PM ME... I say copious amounts of bodyglide... no shavin' the pits.  BUT, do as you seem fit

Newtons1st - 2009-09-21 1:13 PM Should I be shaving under there? And by under there I mean armpits.

2009-09-21 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2417880

User image

Master
Houston
I've heard that's a good place to go, only problem for me is it's another 20-30mins and I hate the thought of a hour drive to/from a ride.

The more I've been looking at next year the more I think I'll be passing on HIMs until one late in the season. Will let me focus more on speed and other life goals a little more. Haven't decided which race yet though Syracuse, Longhorn, Ironstar are all on the radar for now

Trin2bfast - 2009-09-21 12:43 PM

EvD & BvD... if y'all want some hills.  Chappell Hill - 60-64 mile route is your answer.  Non Stop hills, up and down, rollers and some semi-steep long ones... I was very impressed with the course overall.  I can send ya the map if you want.  EvD if BSLT is truly on the radar... this is a great course.  Fattyfatfat did an elevation comparison and we climbed twice as much elevation overall than we did in BSLT.  My legs were more sore after yesterdays ride then they were after the century...and that ride had a few hills (rollers) on it too.  Lots of cyclists out there too!

2009-09-21 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2418128

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
So what are these other life goals you speak of?

evondo - 2009-09-21 2:00 PM I've heard that's a good place to go, only problem for me is it's another 20-30mins and I hate the thought of a hour drive to/from a ride.

The more I've been looking at next year the more I think I'll be passing on HIMs until one late in the season. Will let me focus more on speed and other life goals a little more. Haven't decided which race yet though Syracuse, Longhorn, Ironstar are all on the radar for now

2009-09-21 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2418086

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
I had good flexibility in the shoulders. There was a fold in the armpit that when I rotated my arm seemed like it would pinch. I will try to make my arm pits juiced up with enough with Body Glide to look like Randy Watson's head.

evondo - 2009-09-21 1:50 PM LOL! Justin, you missed an opportunity here! Shave it all haha.

Body glide should help and pull that wetsuit up so it hugs your boys... it'll give you more flexibility in the shoulders.

Trin2bfast - 2009-09-21 1:39 PM ME... I say copious amounts of bodyglide... no shavin' the pits.  BUT, do as you seem fit

2009-09-22 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2418271

User image

Master
Houston
Well triathlon isn't everything ya know!  Let's see, next year goals... get married, website up and running (been dragging my feet here), more swim coaching and expand my tri coaching client list. Ok so maybe most things on that list are triathlon oriented

I'm having some trouble deciding what coaching services to offer next year to expand on what I currently do. There seems to be a big market for cheaper monthly or single payment season plans but it's kind of against what I enjoy doing.  Part of the enjoyment of coaching for me is working with the athlete and helping them one-on-one but obviously can't do that by just creating a season plan and saying good luck

What do you guys think... if you were to get a coach to help out would you prefer an unlimited contact plan where the schedule is written on a monthly basis taking into account the current training (or lack there of) for ~$100/month OR a 4-5 month plan for ~$250 where you were pretty much on your own?

Newtons1st - 2009-09-21 2:48 PM So what are these other life goals you speak of?

evondo - 2009-09-21 2:00 PM I've heard that's a good place to go, only problem for me is it's another 20-30mins and I hate the thought of a hour drive to/from a ride.

2009-09-22 8:38 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Eric, if it were my business, I would offer both.

I think that you're going to have people who prefer one over the other, as well as people who can afford one over the other.

Perhaps offering an upgrade option to the $250 option if people want continuing coaching?

I'm in the marketing business and can honestly say, the more products or services a business offeres at the more price points, the better they're doing in the current economy.

I feel like, if you know that you can produce good results for your athletes with either option, then offer them.  And from a business standpoint, you would have the potential to make more $$ with less time investment with option 2.

Just my two cents.
2009-09-22 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2419535

User image

Master
Houston
I agree with you and did plan on offering both. I really like the upgrade option to the season plan, might have to steal that one, good idea!  You're right about the 2nd option making more $$ for less time spent for sure but for me there's something to be said about enjoying what you do while making $$

Nicole83 - 2009-09-22 8:38 AM Eric, if it were my business, I would offer both.

I think that you're going to have people who prefer one over the other, as well as people who can afford one over the other.

Perhaps offering an upgrade option to the $250 option if people want continuing coaching?

I'm in the marketing business and can honestly say, the more products or services a business offeres at the more price points, the better they're doing in the current economy.

I feel like, if you know that you can produce good results for your athletes with either option, then offer them.  And from a business standpoint, you would have the potential to make more $$ with less time investment with option 2.

Just my two cents.
2009-09-22 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2419519

User image

Master
Houston
I did forget one more VERY important goal for next year... get out on the boat and go wakeboarding at least 2-3x/month once the water is warm enough!
2009-09-22 9:25 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY
evondo - 2009-09-22 9:32 AM
What do you guys think... if you were to get a coach to help out would you prefer an unlimited contact plan where the schedule is written on a monthly basis taking into account the current training (or lack there of) for ~$100/month OR a 4-5 month plan for ~$250 where you were pretty much on your own?

Personally, I'd go with the first option no question!  I like a plan that customized to my goals/fitness level/paces, etc and can be increased/decreased on a monthly basis.  I also feel like it adds a layer of accountability and will give me a kick in the pants if/when I need it.  Personally for me I see no value in the second option...BUT I know this is not the case for everyone.

From a business perspective, I would offer both.  But since you enjoy working with athletes on a consistent basis (vs the one-off training plan) I would put more time and effort into this.  I'm also a big believer in loving what you do.  This could also have the potential to make more money over the long-term since you'll have atheletes that will most likely work with you over a longer period of time, whereas people interested in getting a 4-5 month training plan may choose to use that same plan in following years.
2009-09-22 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
BLASPHEMY!!!

On the other part there will always be people trying to get in who feel they can do it on thier own and dont want to spend the cash. I say offer both. Once they get in most of them will likley upgrade to the other after the first plan runs out.  

evondo - 2009-09-22 8:32 AM Well triathlon isn't everything ya know!  Let's see, next year goals...

Newtons1st - 2009-09-21 2:48 PM So what are these other life goals you speak of?

2009-09-22 10:34 AM

User image

I would love the one-on-one interaction, taylor made for me, kick me in the pants kinda plan... the biggest hurdle has and will always be cost.  Therefore, I lean more towards the other.

I would focus primarily on the 'coaching' one-on-one side but still have the 'here's a plan - go forth and prosper young padawan plan'.   So I guess I didn't really say anything the ladies haven't already said.

Yeah, Triathlon isn't everything... 'it's the ONLY thing' lol!            Glad you have your goals in perspective.  That is what I had to do for next year, and not get caught up in the continuing obsession of IM races.  Along with the HIM races... I REALLY want tod do a race that I have done in the past and see if I can improve on times... for some reason, that has yet to occur.  BSLT will definitely be on done for that reason!
2009-09-22 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2419827

User image

Master
Houston
I understand cost is always a factor in the decision to have a coach or not... What would the order of importance be for you (everyone) if you had a one-on-one coach...
-accountability
-help with weekly schedule hick ups (missed workouts, changed dates, etc)
-training plan/schedule updated monthly
-ask questions/advice

My main concern with offering the standard plan is if/when someone falls off of it. In that case it's nearly never the best thing to try and jump back on it... part of why I like Nicole's suggestion of an upgrade maybe one where the plan is re-written from where they're at now. I've also never personally had a season where my plan at the beginning of the season is the same as the end, same is true for everyone I've coached. Life always seems to get in the way some how

Trin2bfast - 2009-09-22 10:34 AM I would love the one-on-one interaction, taylor made for me, kick me in the pants kinda plan... the biggest hurdle has and will always be cost.  Therefore, I lean more towards the other.

I would focus primarily on the 'coaching' one-on-one side but still have the 'here's a plan - go forth and prosper young padawan plan'.   So I guess I didn't really say anything the ladies haven't already said.

Yeah, Triathlon isn't everything... 'it's the ONLY thing' lol!            Glad you have your goals in perspective.  That is what I had to do for next year, and not get caught up in the continuing obsession of IM races.  Along with the HIM races... I REALLY want tod do a race that I have done in the past and see if I can improve on times... for some reason, that has yet to occur.  BSLT will definitely be on done for that reason!
2009-09-22 2:17 PM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Wait a minute, there's more to life than triathlon???  Who on earth came up with that silly notion?  That's like people saying there are 4 seasons here.  WRONG!  There are 2 seasons.....triahtlon season and the off-seaon

Before getting a coach, the biggest thing holding me back was cost.  But looking back, it was one of the best decisions I've made!  As well as investing in a swim coach. 

Order of importance is somewhat of a tough call for me (I think)...
- ask questions/advice TIED with accountability
- help with weekly schedule hick ups (missed workouts, changed dates, etc)

2009-09-22 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2419872

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Mine would be:
-Accountability
-Questions/advice
-weekly schedule hick ups
-schedule updated monthly

But I think that reflects the areas where I struggle.  I imagine every athlete would be different.

When you take on a new client- do you do a "needs analysis" and ask them these same questions?  That would be hugely beneficial in identifying how to be the best coach to each individual client I imagine.

Also- in regards to the "upgrade" option... I work with a dietician who utilizes this.  She offers a comprehensive unlimited access plan for $100 per month, or she creates a monthly plan for 6 months for $300- with the option at any time to schedule a one on one with her to have your plan tweaked or adjusted for just $75.  If your someone who needs the accountability, or who is looking to rapidly lose weight/build muscle, the comprehensive plan makes sense.  But if you're someone who is simply maintaining, eating for health, etc, the 6 month plan makes sense.  I use the 6 month option, but have invested once or twice in the upgrade when training for races and needing the nutritional advice.

That might have been a long pointless ramble... but just a thought.

evondo - 2009-09-22 11:55 AM I understand cost is always a factor in the decision to have a coach or not... What would the order of importance be for you (everyone) if you had a one-on-one coach...
-accountability
-help with weekly schedule hick ups (missed workouts, changed dates, etc)
-ask questions/advice

My main concern with offering the standard plan is if/when someone falls off of it. In that case it's nearly never the best thing to try and jump back on it... part of why I like Nicole's suggestion of an upgrade maybe one where the plan is re-written from where they're at now. I've also never personally had a season where my plan at the beginning of the season is the same as the end, same is true for everyone I've coached. Life always seems to get in the way some how

Trin2bfast - 2009-09-22 10:34 AM I would love the one-on-one interaction, taylor made for me, kick me in the pants kinda plan... the biggest hurdle has and will always be cost.  Therefore, I lean more towards the other.

2009-09-22 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2420438

User image

Master
Houston
No rambling, all useful Like the dietitian there will be clients with variable drive and need for detailed plans.  For an athlete starting off, a basic plan will do but there are those that would prefer to maximize their training hour as much as possible to get faster.

I do a needs analysis but don't ask those exact questions, it's more of season and long term goals, training/racing history and stuff along those lines. Currently everyone I work with gets all of those items and I can tell by their goals/history what they need and definitely within a month of working with them I know how to serve them best. 

I really like the a-la-cart idea because it has a solution to my problem and dislike of season long plans. You mentioned earlier... can I produce good results for the athlete with either option and with a season long plan the answer is a definite no unless they follow the plan nearly perfect. If the athlete misses a workout here/there no big deal but say 2-3 weeks of no long bike and/or run then that plan needs to be shredded and started over.  With a ~$50 re-write fee that athlete is put back on track and ready to go come race day.

Nicole83 - 2009-09-22 2:31 PM Mine would be:
-Accountability
-Questions/advice
-weekly schedule hick ups
-schedule updated monthly

But I think that reflects the areas where I struggle.  I imagine every athlete would be different.

When you take on a new client- do you do a "needs analysis" and ask them these same questions?  That would be hugely beneficial in identifying how to be the best coach to each individual client I imagine.

Also- in regards to the "upgrade" option... I work with a dietician who utilizes this.  She offers a comprehensive unlimited access plan for $100 per month, or she creates a monthly plan for 6 months for $300- with the option at any time to schedule a one on one with her to have your plan tweaked or adjusted for just $75.  If your someone who needs the accountability, or who is looking to rapidly lose weight/build muscle, the comprehensive plan makes sense.  But if you're someone who is simply maintaining, eating for health, etc, the 6 month plan makes sense.  I use the 6 month option, but have invested once or twice in the upgrade when training for races and needing the nutritional advice.

That might have been a long pointless ramble... but just a thought.

2009-09-23 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
You know what today is right....

Alright stop what ya doing
'cause I'm about to ruin
the image and the style that ya used to.
2009-09-23 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2421813

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
LOL - thanks Todd.  I needed that!

Newtons1st - 2009-09-23 9:51 AM You know what today is right....

'cause I'm about to ruin
2009-09-23 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2421813

User image

Master
New York, NY
Hahaha....nice one!

Newtons1st - 2009-09-23 10:51 AM You know what today is right....

'cause I'm about to ruin
2009-09-24 2:42 PM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Heellloooo {echo, echo echo}....where is everyone today??
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137