Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 137

2009-10-01 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2436399

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL
Sept started out great with Austin olympic race, qualified me for the next level of the tri team and a PR.  Bike as been solid this entire month and run has been getting much better with this cooler weather! Swim has been dragging due to me slacking and taking time off but honestly if the swim is my 'bad' part of Longhorn then I think I'll be good to go

Tonight I have a bike power test (yes the number thing that everyone here glosses over!) and will know more about my progress then.  This is my highest volume week of the season and next week will be only a small decline in mileage.  After that the real taper begins!

Goals for Oct...
Finish this week & next with all workouts feeling strong
Maintain core/pushups throughout taper
Dont get too hammered at the UF/LSU game
Longhorn (Happy <4:50, Very happy ~4:40, Where the hell did that come from <4:40)

Trin2bfast - 2009-10-01 9:45 AM End-O-Month... assessments!

Who's game?

September was not my best month as far as volume goes, thanks to a chest cold that set me back a week...but I did build some good bike confidence with a solid century ride and 60 miles in Chappel Hill going up and down some hills.
The last few days have shown me that my run fitness (cardio wise is still good ~ but anarobically, I have taken a couple steps back)  Leg strength (endurance wise) will have to get some last minute attention this month.  October is a crucial month ~ with some needed intensity, then focus on some fine tuning, then head into Taper with as much confidence as I can muster!  That is the remaining goal before November!

I am excited about October and nervous about what follows.... but it is a good nervous!

Happy (TIRED A$$) Thursday peeps!

2009-10-01 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2436399

User image

Master
Houston
Something caught my eye in your assessment, Oct plans including intensity.... Right now (5 weeks out), your focus should be on volume, volume and more volume. If I were in your position I'd focus on getting as much distance as time allowed into my body at Z2-3 HR for the next 3 weeks. Then reduce slightly on week 4 and let my body recover completely on race week. You're at a point in the season where the focus should flip from intensity to volume.

As you approach a race your workouts should get more and more like what your race is. If you're doing an IM, then volume at lower HR is what's needed for sprint/olympic high intensity is needed.  For a HIM intensity workouts switch to tempo/threshold, if you notice I haven't done a run interval workout in a while. Just something to think about...

Who's game?

September was not my best month as far as volume goes, thanks to a chest cold that set me back a week...but I did build some good bike confidence with a solid century ride and 60 miles in Chappel Hill going up and down some hills.
The last few days have shown me that my run fitness (cardio wise is still good ~ but anarobically, I have taken a couple steps back)  Leg strength (endurance wise) will have to get some last minute attention this month.  October is a crucial month ~ with some needed intensity, then focus on some fine tuning, then head into Taper with as much confidence as I can muster!  That is the remaining goal before November!

I am excited about October and nervous about what follows.... but it is a good nervous!

2009-10-01 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2436511

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
I will be getting in as much volume as possible and not at Z's 4-5 necessarily.  What I was refering to is focused effort, no excuses, miss as few workouts as possible, and garner the intensity in my mind towards what is to come.  Fitness, there isn't enough time to really improve on where I am at, recover and be at peak for IMFL - that I know.  It is simply three weeks to sharpen what I have, maybe increase my endurance just a tad, and build confidence headed into taper.  I don't have any interval training in mind... but I typically only run at marathon race pace and sometimes just below that... As far as that goes, my remaining runs won't change, except I will fit in atleast a 15 miler before taper.

Bike - 60-80 will be all that I will do between now and then... no more centuries.  The intensities for these rides will be faster than what is planned for Florida... Swim, well that is simply in sustain mode...although I haven't felt like I have sustained much at all there... but Sunday will be a good day to feel good in the water.  I will do at least 2 full distance wetsuit swims between now and taper.  This Sunday I will not be in the wetsuit.  

With my schedule... a few HIT sessions 60-90 minutes is better than a missed workout for me.  I am way behind the 'Planned' amount of training for this distance...but I still feel confident about what I have done, how I feel and what I am capable of... For the next three to four weeks, for me it is simply about quality over quantity.  Next year WILL be much different than this year, and I think it will better suit me (mentally & physically)! 

evondo - 2009-10-01 10:20 AM Something caught my eye in your assessment, Oct plans including intensity.... Right now (5 weeks out), your focus should be on volume, volume and more volume. If I were in your position I'd focus on getting as much distance as time allowed into my body at Z2-3 HR for the next 3 weeks. Then reduce slightly on week 4 and let my body recover completely on race week. You're at a point in the season where the focus should flip from intensity to volume.

As you approach a race your workouts should get more and more like what your race is. If you're doing an IM, then volume at lower HR is what's needed for sprint/olympic high intensity is needed.  For a HIM intensity workouts switch to tempo/threshold, if you notice I haven't done a run interval workout in a while. Just something to think about...

Who's game?

2009-10-01 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2436606

User image

Master
Houston
All of that sounds like the right thing to do Just wanted to make sure you weren't planning on all Z4+ shorter workouts. A lot of people misconceive taper as short speed workouts which is true for some distances but not most triathlons, especially HIM+. Also as you said which I have to remind people over and over... taper does not mean days off, because the volume is less making all workouts is more important than before. Actually during taper for swimming in college we use to have to swim every day (normally had 1 day off) to help offset the overall volume decrease.

Trin2bfast - 2009-10-01 10:52 AM I will be getting in as much volume as possible and not at Z's 4-5 necessarily.  What I was refering to is focused effort, no excuses, miss as few workouts as possible, and garner the intensity in my mind towards what is to come.  Fitness, there isn't enough time to really improve on where I am at, recover and be at peak for IMFL - that I know.  It is simply three weeks to sharpen what I have, maybe increase my endurance just a tad, and build confidence headed into taper.  I don't have any interval training in mind... but I typically only run at marathon race pace and sometimes just below that... As far as that goes, my remaining runs won't change, except I will fit in atleast a 15 miler before taper.

Bike - 60-80 will be all that I will do between now and then... no more centuries.  The intensities for these rides will be faster than what is planned for Florida... Swim, well that is simply in sustain mode...although I haven't felt like I have sustained much at all there... but Sunday will be a good day to feel good in the water.  I will do at least 2 full distance wetsuit swims between now and taper.  This Sunday I will not be in the wetsuit.  

With my schedule... a few HIT sessions 60-90 minutes is better than a missed workout for me.  I am way behind the 'Planned' amount of training for this distance...but I still feel confident about what I have done, how I feel and what I am capable of... For the next three to four weeks, for me it is simply about quality over quantity.  Next year WILL be much different than this year, and I think it will better suit me (mentally & physically)! 

2009-10-01 6:00 PM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Finally making it to a computer and have the time to post. Was sick big time over the weekend and then headed to WI for work. Missed some big key workouts and still trying to get my full energy back. Good thing is I got to swim some in my wetsuit in WI. Just to get used to it. It was odd to swim in a lake and be able to see the bottom. So now I need to focus on getting my body back in a ready to go state. Spend teh day today home with the baby as she has been sick as well. The wife had to take her to the er on Tuesday night and get an iv because she was so dehydrated. She is doing way better now.
2009-10-01 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2434474

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Justin - I didnt know that bike island was a local place. May have to check it out. I got one of those saddles back in March. My Twig and dingle berries have been big fans of it.

2009-10-01 6:03 PM
in reply to: #2434604

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Hey come on down it would be some fun times. I may have to bust out the boom box for that race.
KelliD - 2009-09-30 1:16 PMAwesome on the saddle!  I'm in need of a new saddle of not gonna start testing them out until the off-season/next season.

I don't know the rate at which they've added more 70.3-brand races in the past, but it seems like a lot have been added for 2010!  Mooseman, Lonestar, Boulder, Syracuse, and Branson!  I would LOVE to go to Boulder, but that doesn't exactly fit with my plan of attempting to limit travel to races next year.  I'm also slightly tempted to go back and tackle Timberman again next year, and it's the 10th anniversary for the race so it should be a good one.  Torn on a 2010 HIM.  And I'm regretting not registering for Eagleman...I totally knew this would be the case.

Speaking of TX though, depending on some possible winter vacation plans & airfare, I may be heading to Dallas for a half marathon in March.

Trin2bfast - 2009-09-30 1:23 PM I picked up an Adamo road saddle last Thursday (brand new from online vendor) $85 (+tax for Texas) but free shipping... Ordered it Thursday and received it Friday around noon.  I am a fan so far.  No numbness and sit nicely on the sit bones.  A longer ride will really tell, but so far ~ so good! (bikeisland.com is a Dallas area vendor Todd)

Ironman 70.3 in Galveston now... KD, here's another excuse to come down and race with us again.  Mooseman & Lonestar are both being sucked up by WTC.

http://www.bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=List&SubCategory=Parts:%20Saddles

http://ironman.com/events/ironman70.3/ironman-70.3-lone-star-and-ironman-70.3-mooseman-added-to-ironman-70.3-series

2009-10-02 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2437710

User image

Master
Houston
Happy Friday! This weekend is going to fly by, too much planned and not enough time! Hopefully the weather holds out for all the workouts, supposed to be rainy most of the weekend here. 

What does everyone have planned for the weekend?
2009-10-02 10:52 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
I need to get my legs back and ready to race. I know I wont be gaining any but jsut need to get them in the right mindset to run and bike. Any hints on the best plan for being sick 2 weeks out and getting ready to go?
2009-10-02 11:24 AM

User image

Glad to read your baby is doing better Todd... oh yeah, and you too!  One week out from the big show Todd!  Then it's EvD & KD's turn, then mine, then BvD will be bringin' it home in San Antonio...  The Intimidator is the odd one out!  What up girlfriend?  sing it with me now... which one of these things is not like the other, ...   just kiddin' ~ you can still hang with us!  You will be show the love in FL...

Are y'all still planning on headin' down there for the race?  With all the promotions, job changes, etc... plans may have changed, no?

Weekend plans... 2hr ride this evening, work overtime from 7a-1p Sat (hopefully a 10+ mile run Sat evening, OWS Sun morning and back on the bike Sunday afternoon/evening.  The rides will most likely be trainers... given the weather forecast.  If it is raining on Saturday... I will just stay on the bike all weekend and pick up the run eventually.

I hope everyone enjoys the weekend!
2009-10-02 12:32 PM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Hey now, play nice.  I'm thisclose to nervous breakdown right now.

I don't know yet about heading up for Ironman.  Given all the recent changes, it would be one heck of a challenge for us to get there, but I would still really like to.

I'll have to keep you posted on that.

2009-10-05 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2438865

User image

Master
Houston
Nothing fast and no finishing workouts feeling like you're completely drained. Keep a positive attitude, you're not under trained simply well rested and you need to prolong your fitness while staying rested

You can probably keep your bike mileage near the same, maybe reduce a little bit.  For the run, don't make those legs sore if you can avoid it especially the end-of-week run. I'd reduce the last run you have for the week to ~3mi easy.

On race day your goal should be no soreness in the legs at all.  When you race the olympic remember this is a different animal than a sprint, 10K after the swim/bike is a lot more difficult than the sprint's 5K, pace accordingly. 

Newtons1st - 2009-10-02 10:52 AM I need to get my legs back and ready to race. I know I wont be gaining any but jsut need to get them in the right mindset to run and bike. Any hints on the best plan for being sick 2 weeks out and getting ready to go?
2009-10-05 10:07 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Just in case anyone missed the Intimidator's TL from the weekend, I'd like to note she smoked us all.....running 17 miles in a mere 70 minutes!!! 
2009-10-05 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2442948

User image

Master
Houston
Holy %$*$! I knew she was holding out on us with these blank TLs but I underestimated by how much

KelliD - 2009-10-05 10:07 AM Just in case anyone missed the Intimidator's TL from the weekend, I'd like to note she smoked us all.....running 17 miles in a mere 70 minutes!!! 
2009-10-05 12:36 PM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Oh you all think you're SO funny dont you?

Yah, that's what I get for trying to update the TL before coffe this morning.

It's been corrected.  My snail-like pace is now appropriately reflected.
2009-10-05 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2443380

User image

Good times... laughing at, I mean laughing WITH the Intimidator!  You know we still love you - fast or slow!  But if you were really that FAST... the love might be more, cuz we would know the new world record holder, and that would be SOOOO cool!

Happy Monday missy!

Nicole83 - 2009-10-05 12:36 PM Oh you all think you're SO funny dont you?

Yah, that's what I get for trying to update the TL before coffe this morning.

It's been corrected.  My snail-like pace is now appropriately reflected.

2009-10-05 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2442834

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Cool that is what i was thinking for the training this week. I was planning on running 4.5, 4, 3.5. I was going to not do any hard stuff on the bike just about 3 1 hours mod pace sessions and with the weather looks like I will post some movies reviews since I will be on the trainer.  

Oh and yes I am under trianed, but that just gives me some room for setting PRs next season.

I get to help out with the swim clinic on Saturday that my trianing group is putting on. Then swim the course. Last check on the wetsuit. Practice getting the zip pull a little easier. Also as I was told why I got so dizzy when I swam in WI was cold water in the ears can throw off your balance. I will be wearing ear plugs anyways so that wont be a problem race day.

evondo - 2009-10-05 9:19 AM Nothing fast and no finishing workouts feeling like you're completely drained. Keep a positive attitude, you're not under trained simply well rested and you need to prolong your fitness while staying rested

You can probably keep your bike mileage near the same, maybe reduce a little bit.  For the run, don't make those legs sore if you can avoid it especially the end-of-week run. I'd reduce the last run you have for the week to ~3mi easy.

On race day your goal should be no soreness in the legs at all.  When you race the olympic remember this is a different animal than a sprint, 10K after the swim/bike is a lot more difficult than the sprint's 5K, pace accordingly. 

Newtons1st - 2009-10-02 10:52 AM I need to get my legs back and ready to race. I know I wont be gaining any but jsut need to get them in the right mindset to run and bike. Any hints on the best plan for being sick 2 weeks out and getting ready to go?
2009-10-05 3:34 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
And yeah I need to work on my pace. I have a hangering for just letting it rip on the bike but will hold back (a little). But I still plan on letting it all hang out and make it hurt and come across the line with 0 left in the tank. That just sounds so fun.

So I guess I will put it out there goal times

1500m swim - 29:00
T1 - 2:30
25 mi Bike - 1:13:00
T2 - 1:45
6.2 mi Run - 1:06

ohh jeeezz I just wrote it down now.
2009-10-06 8:19 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Went to court last night for my ticket (which I still think is completely ridiculous).  I don't think I could have been any luckier!  One of my friend's who's a cop in NJ called the cop who gave me the ticket and was able to get it reduced to a $25 parking ticket!  The full penalty would have been 3 points on my license and a $235 fine.  So, so so happy!!!
2009-10-06 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2444804

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Cool deal. Always nice to have a friend in the PD.

KelliD - 2009-10-06 8:19 AM Went to court last night for my ticket (which I still think is completely ridiculous).  I don't think I could have been any luckier!  One of my friend's who's a cop in NJ called the cop who gave me the ticket and was able to get it reduced to a $25 parking ticket!  The full penalty would have been 3 points on my license and a $235 fine.  So, so so happy!!!
2009-10-06 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2444804

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
That's awesome news!  It always helps to know people in high places.  I still think it's ridiculous you got a ticket in the first place.

KelliD - 2009-10-06 8:19 AM Went to court last night for my ticket (which I still think is completely ridiculous).  I don't think I could have been any luckier!  One of my friend's who's a cop in NJ called the cop who gave me the ticket and was able to get it reduced to a $25 parking ticket!  The full penalty would have been 3 points on my license and a $235 fine.  So, so so happy!!!

2009-10-06 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2445079

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
agreed.  I need one of those cop friends.

I hear they have something like a "get out of jail free" card they can give the wives/husbands so that if you ever get pulled over you get out of the ticket because your spouse is a the po-lice.

I want one of those for Christmas.

Not that I constantly speed and don't wear my seatbelt or anything...

Betsy0706 - 2009-10-06 11:14 AM That's awesome news!  It always helps to know people in high places.  I still think it's ridiculous you got a ticket in the first place.

2009-10-07 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Had a great swim and feeling pretty pumped and ready to go. There will be 37 people from my tri group that is doing th race so that will be cool. Should be interesting doing a point to point race. Just need not to get lost in T2.

Oh yeah almost forgot. 

I get stupid. I shoot an arrow like cupid.
I use a word that dont mean nutting like loopded
I sang on dowhatchalike and if you missed it
I'm the one that said "Just grab em in the Biscuts"

Edited by Newtons1st 2009-10-07 8:38 AM
2009-10-07 11:55 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
So one thing I will say about this whole husband in Daytona thing...

Sure makes training without feeling guilty a lot easier.

Maybe I WILL plan that winter marathon after all...
2009-10-07 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2447674

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Do it do it get signed up!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137