BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2009-07-12 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2082292

User image

Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed!
Well I ran the 10k yesterday. Weather was great, just a little breeze. My official time is 45:05......just 5 seconds shy of my mental objective. However, I think I can say I did under 45 min. I started at the back, and just to get to the starting line took me 3-4 seconds and I had a slower pace for the first 300m because of the traffic. Next time, I will start in front and be under 45.... but I am very happy with my race.

And I also won a mountain bike (perfect for my older son) just for being there....

2009-07-12 10:43 AM

User image

Regular
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
Awesome. Way to go!
2009-07-12 9:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado

Don't fall off your chair - it has been nearly 2 1/2 months since my last post.  I am still out here.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, this summer was going to be one of much change.

Since I last posted - I went on a cruise of the Western Med, packed up the family from Wiesbaden Germany and moved back to the US, vacationed with my family in Arizona after 6 years in Germany, and have now begun to settle into our new home at Carlisle Barracks in Pennsylvania.

Needless to say my training has been less than stellar.  I am still scheduled for an Oly early in Aug and a HIM on Sep 13th in Quakertown PA.  I plan on doing both.  My goal will be to finish vs setting any kind of PRs.  I'll go out easy and stay easy to ensure I finish.

I have not been in the pool for nearly 2 mo's or on the bike for a month or so, but I have been running.  I finished a 7 1/2 mi yesterday without much difficulty.  That will get me through the Oly - I have time to get to the 13 + for the HIM.  I am a naturaly swimmer so I think the swim will be ok.  My bike is still not here in the States.  I hope to get it in a week or so.  I will have to use the trainers at the local fitness center.

I have uploaded an Oly - 1/2 training plan.  Looking through it, it looks doable.  Worst case is I get a minor injury that is nagging but allows me to meet this seasons goal of finishing the HIM to set me up for next years IM goal.  Best case is all goes well and I train w/o injury and complete both the Oly and HIM w/o problem.

All of your posts are inspiring - I will feed off them and get back into the game!

Tho,

2009-07-13 8:38 PM
in reply to: #2279066

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
thebrayon - 2009-07-12 9:48 AM Well I ran the 10k yesterday. Weather was great, just a little breeze. My official time is 45:05......just 5 seconds shy of my mental objective. However, I think I can say I did under 45 min. I started at the back, and just to get to the starting line took me 3-4 seconds and I had a slower pace for the first 300m because of the traffic. Next time, I will start in front and be under 45.... but I am very happy with my race.

And I also won a mountain bike (perfect for my older son) just for being there....

Nice job, Luc.  i've had my fair share of races stuck behind the pack.  Like you said, move up next time and the sub-45 will be yours!
2009-07-13 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2279998

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
sundevil87 - 2009-07-12 9:31 PM

Don't fall off your chair - it has been nearly 2 1/2 months since my last post. I am still out here. As I mentioned in an earlier post, this summer was going to be one of much change.

Since I last posted - I went on a cruise of the Western Med, packed up the family from Wiesbaden Germany and moved back to the US, vacationed with my family in Arizona after 6 years in Germany, and have now begun to settle into our new home at Carlisle Barracks in Pennsylvania.

Needless to say my training has been less than stellar. I am still scheduled for an Oly early in Aug and a HIM on Sep 13th in Quakertown PA. I plan on doing both. My goal will be to finish vs setting any kind of PRs. I'll go out easy and stay easy to ensure I finish.

I have not been in the pool for nearly 2 mo's or on the bike for a month or so, but I have been running. I finished a 7 1/2 mi yesterday without much difficulty. That will get me through the Oly - I have time to get to the 13 + for the HIM. I am a naturaly swimmer so I think the swim will be ok. My bike is still not here in the States. I hope to get it in a week or so. I will have to use the trainers at the local fitness center.

I have uploaded an Oly - 1/2 training plan. Looking through it, it looks doable. Worst case is I get a minor injury that is nagging but allows me to meet this seasons goal of finishing the HIM to set me up for next years IM goal. Best case is all goes well and I train w/o injury and complete both the Oly and HIM w/o problem.

All of your posts are inspiring - I will feed off them and get back into the game!

Tho,

Wow, that sounds like a crazy summer.  I'm glad you survived and made it back to the States.

You've got some time to get some solid training in before your races.  Train smart and safe.  I'll look forward to hearing how things progress for you.
2009-07-13 8:46 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Saturday night I convinced my little sister to run her first 10k.  I got the honor of running side by side with her to offer her encouragement and support.  It was here first ever race and she did a fantastic job, coming in at just under an hour.  The good news was right afterward she was already talking about "the next one."  Now I just have to convince her that lakes aren't as scary as she thinks they are  and we might have another triathlete in the family

2009-07-13 8:49 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
And the following morning I participated in another sprint triathlon.  I put together a pretty decent race, coming in 17th overall and 3rd in my age group.  I was quite pleased with the effort.  Race report is here.
2009-07-16 4:52 PM

User image

Went up to the site of the tri and the Manchester tri club had the swim set up, did about 2 full 750 course laps but cut last short and did some work on spotting since my first lap I swam right like always, Then they took us out and we rode most of the bike course and they showed us the run course. Really cool had bad weather but about 150 people from the club showed up and cooked out several helped me with my spotting. Wish we had that active a group in our area. Looking forward to the race so far all the beer I have been drinking seems to have not hurt me to bad but have put about 5 pounds on but will work on that when I get back not worrying about it now.

Edited by fungi32 2009-07-16 4:53 PM
2009-07-16 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2290279

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
fungi32 - 2009-07-16 4:52 PM Went up to the site of the tri and the Manchester tri club had the swim set up, did about 2 full 750 course laps but cut last short and did some work on spotting since my first lap I swam right like always, Then they took us out and we rode most of the bike course and they showed us the run course. Really cool had bad weather but about 150 people from the club showed up and cooked out several helped me with my spotting. Wish we had that active a group in our area. Looking forward to the race so far all the beer I have been drinking seems to have not hurt me to bad but have put about 5 pounds on but will work on that when I get back not worrying about it now.

You're on vacation.  That means you are entitled to a few beers.  It's great that you had chance to get out on the course ahead of time.  Good luck this weekend!
2009-07-19 10:02 AM

User image

Finished the tri, rainy, cold and windy but pr'd on a longer course (23k bike) so I am pretty pleased do not have individual times posted but 1:29:14 total and had a big problem in t2. Post later I think I'll have a beerWink
2009-07-19 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2294237

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
fungi32 - 2009-07-19 10:02 AM Finished the tri, rainy, cold and windy but pr'd on a longer course (23k bike) so I am pretty pleased do not have individual times posted but 1:29:14 total and had a big problem in t2. Post later I think I'll have a beerWink

Congrats on the PR!

2009-07-23 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
I just registered for an Oly this Saturday on PEI. It is suppose to rain with winds. Well we will see how it goes, I will give you an update on Sunday or Monday.

I got my new triathlon bicycling shoes, it is really faster to put on than my previous shoes.

Have a good weekend.
2009-07-24 6:15 AM
in reply to: #2304956

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
thebrayon - 2009-07-23 9:02 PM I just registered for an Oly this Saturday on PEI. It is suppose to rain with winds. Well we will see how it goes, I will give you an update on Sunday or Monday.

I got my new triathlon bicycling shoes, it is really faster to put on than my previous shoes.

Have a good weekend.

Well that's exciting.  The weather should make things interesting.  Best of luck to you!
2009-07-24 6:21 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
So how is everyone else doing?

I'm in the middle of my last 3 week build phase before my next HIM.  The mileage is really starting to add up.  Between that and staying up late to watch the Tour de France I am one tired guy.  Thankfully I only have one more week until I start my taper.
2009-07-28 9:13 PM

User image

Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
Well it was raining for the tri last Sunday....and the winds where strong. They had to cancel the swim portion because of security reasons. So we did a duathlon instead. However, they replaced the swim with a small 1k run only. I would have preferred a little longer. But it was Ok.
On the bike portion, we had headwinds on the way out and helping us on the way back. We did 2 loops of 20k. By the time we finished the bike, the rain had stopped and the wind had reduced a lot. It did not rain for the last run and when I finished the race, the ocean was a lot more calm. Had the race started a few hours later, we would have been OK for the swim.

Anyway, it went very well. Still have to do a lot more biking and practice transitions.

I will do another 10k race on Sunday. This time, I hope to be able to go under 45min.  They are forcasting a really hot day (well hot for here....) with a lot of humidity.....
2009-08-01 2:00 PM

User image

Finally made it home had a great vacation. Went on a bike ride today and I could tell I have not been riding. I am really going to have to get back on track for the oly in Sept.

2009-08-01 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2314106

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
thebrayon - 2009-07-28 9:13 PM Well it was raining for the tri last Sunday....and the winds where strong. They had to cancel the swim portion because of security reasons. So we did a duathlon instead. However, they replaced the swim with a small 1k run only. I would have preferred a little longer. But it was Ok.
On the bike portion, we had headwinds on the way out and helping us on the way back. We did 2 loops of 20k. By the time we finished the bike, the rain had stopped and the wind had reduced a lot. It did not rain for the last run and when I finished the race, the ocean was a lot more calm. Had the race started a few hours later, we would have been OK for the swim.

Anyway, it went very well. Still have to do a lot more biking and practice transitions.

I will do another 10k race on Sunday. This time, I hope to be able to go under 45min. They are forcasting a really hot day (well hot for here....) with a lot of humidity.....

Yeah, that's kinda weird that they only substituted a 1k run.  I would have expected a 5k.  Nice job in some rough conditions though.

And good luck with the 10k tomorrow!  I hope you hit your goal.
2009-08-01 9:06 PM
in reply to: #2321427

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
fungi32 - 2009-08-01 2:00 PM Finally made it home had a great vacation. Went on a bike ride today and I could tell I have not been riding. I am really going to have to get back on track for the oly in Sept.

Glad the vacation was good!  I'm looking forward to mine in 3 weeks.  Aside from keeping up with marathon training I'm looking forward to relaxing.
2009-08-01 9:09 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
I have my 2nd Oly of the season tomorrow.  Weather's looking nice and aside from being pretty sore from moving the last 2 days I'm still hoping for a PR.  That maybe depend on whether or not the race will be wetsuit legal though.
2009-08-02 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Among Canadian Lakes and Trees
It's been good to catch up with you guys - moving across the country, winning bikes, awesome races, great stuff of life!!

I am too, still here, and gearing up for MY FIRST TRY-A-Tri on Sunday the 9th!  We live in a colder part of canada, so who knows what the water will be like.  I'm feeling nervous and excited.  I have been running a good amount, and got in a swim this week.  Any advice to offer on training the week before a race?????
2009-08-02 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado

Finally logged a number of my workouts from the last few weeks.  I'm trying to get back into a loggin routine.

I have an oly this coming weekend.  I'm not concerned about conditioning - I should be ok for all three legs.  The water is in the 70s - I'm going to go without the wetsuit - 1. because I think it will be warm enough, and 2. because I have not trained at all this year with it.

I have the HIM on the 13th.  I think I should be ok conditioning wise - for each individual sport.  Putting them all together - I'm a bit nervous.  I  have not done any bricks since May and not very difficult ones.  I am going to take it easy, keeping a close eye on HR and keeping it very moderate.  I will get a good "brick" in this weekend with the Oly and then I'll do a few more in August leading up to the HIM.  I am going to concentrate on nutrition here on out, reading all that I can, and incorporating what I learn.  I could use some advice here.  Since I have not done an HIM before, and my training (including the upcoming oly) have not been over extended periods of time, I am not sure of how I will need to fuel myself.

I am thinking along these lines: normal pre-race breakfast, swim, something of substance (protein bar etc) getting on the bike; water in the aero bottle and sport drink on the bottle on the seat post tube (water every 10 mins, sport drink every 20); gel pack (or gummies) coming out of T2, water/sport drink at the stations on the run.

Advice on the nutrition piece is welcomed - I know it is very individual, but some general guidelines would help.

Thom 

2009-08-03 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2322367

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
mammaJaS - 2009-08-02 1:41 PM It's been good to catch up with you guys - moving across the country, winning bikes, awesome races, great stuff of life!!

I am too, still here, and gearing up for MY FIRST TRY-A-Tri on Sunday the 9th! We live in a colder part of canada, so who knows what the water will be like. I'm feeling nervous and excited. I have been running a good amount, and got in a swim this week. Any advice to offer on training the week before a race?????

For races that I am actually tapering for I like to keep the workouts the week of real light, somewhere in the ballpark of half the race distance.  Typically I will have my last run 4 days before, last bike 3 days before, last swim 2 days before and take the day before off.  Some people prefer to do a real real light workout the day before just to stay loose.

Just realize that you won't gain any fitness the week before a race.  The money is already in the bank so to speak.  And really you can't lose any either, but a lot of people report feeling sluggish if they do nothing the week before.

So rest up, enjoy your lighter workload and most of all, enjoy your race.  I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.
2009-08-03 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2323004

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
sundevil87 - 2009-08-02 8:49 PM

Finally logged a number of my workouts from the last few weeks. I'm trying to get back into a loggin routine.

I have an oly this coming weekend. I'm not concerned about conditioning - I should be ok for all three legs. The water is in the 70s - I'm going to go without the wetsuit - 1. because I think it will be warm enough, and 2. because I have not trained at all this year with it.

I have the HIM on the 13th. I think I should be ok conditioning wise - for each individual sport. Putting them all together - I'm a bit nervous. I have not done any bricks since May and not very difficult ones. I am going to take it easy, keeping a close eye on HR and keeping it very moderate. I will get a good "brick" in this weekend with the Oly and then I'll do a few more in August leading up to the HIM. I am going to concentrate on nutrition here on out, reading all that I can, and incorporating what I learn. I could use some advice here. Since I have not done an HIM before, and my training (including the upcoming oly) have not been over extended periods of time, I am not sure of how I will need to fuel myself.

I am thinking along these lines: normal pre-race breakfast, swim, something of substance (protein bar etc) getting on the bike; water in the aero bottle and sport drink on the bottle on the seat post tube (water every 10 mins, sport drink every 20); gel pack (or gummies) coming out of T2, water/sport drink at the stations on the run.

Advice on the nutrition piece is welcomed - I know it is very individual, but some general guidelines would help.

Thom

HIM nutrition is a very tricky topic.  I have only done 2, and although the last one went much better than the first, I have yet to determine a foolproof plan.  Your plan seems pretty solid.  One thing you may want to think about is taking in more calories on the bike.  Perhaps a second bar halfway through.  The majority of your race is spent on the bike and its a good time to make sure you are fueled up for the run.  I've heard recommendations that say to take in 300 calories/hr on the bike.  Personally I can get away with 200/hr and not feel the effects.

Another thing you may want to consider is an electrolyte supplement like endurolytes, especially if it is really hot.  Depending on your sports drink you will get varying amounts of electrolytes but in my opinion that is not always enough.

My plan for my HIM in 2 weeks is 3 packages of clif shot bloks on the bike, along with water and cytomax for around 600 calories.  Additionally I will take endurolytes after hour 1 and hour 2 on the bike.  After that it will be a few gels on the run course and sports drink/water as needed.

Each individual is different and I expect to keep tweaking my strategy in the future until I find something that works relatively well. 
2009-08-03 8:37 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
BTW, I set an OLY PR yesterday.  I'm trying to get a race report up, but it might be awhile with all of the unpacking I need to be doing (I just moved).  I'll let you all know when it's done
2009-08-04 7:52 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Ok, it's done   And you can find it here
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed! Rss Feed  

of 16