BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2008-05-21 9:58 AM
in reply to: #1415653

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Subject: RE: light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED
Nah, probably busy making science.

Gonna try and fit in a hill workout today, as my swim was cut short by bad weather yesterday.

If Maddy checks in, I know of a GREAT band playing in Brisbane soon that she REALLY needs to check out.

Edited by bcart1991 2008-05-21 10:00 AM

2008-05-21 1:54 PM
in reply to: #1349986

User image

Colorado

She's busy training I bet.  She did like 4 runs and a bike ride or something like that already.  Then again she is in Australia where it's tomorrow and that workout was therefore yesterday already  

For me it's bike, swim and/or strength tonight, if I ever get out of work.  I'm not supposed to run until my foot is no longer inflamed.  Evidently it didn't enjoy being thrown against the pavement for 2 hours and 48 minutes in a row on Sunday and is retaliating.  Then I stepped in cat puke with it as I got out of bed this morning.  At least it's just big and red.  Doesn't hurt.

2008-05-21 2:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

Hi guys sorry I haven't checked in for a while.  I've been trying to check in at work and then someone comes and grabs me and all of a sudden I'm off and running again!  ARGH!!!! 

EEEP. 

I think I need to get up 30m earlier to complete my blog in detail.  he he he.   

2008-05-21 3:49 PM
in reply to: #1416836

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Yay! Our mentor's back!

I went for a long walk this morning... I have a friend who is very overweight (like Biggest Loser kind of overweight) so I'm coaching her through weight loss... today was our first meeting. We just walked. It's a start - we all start somewhere!

But I do find it ironic that I'm a "fitness leader" and I'm giving advice to people on how to be healthy - when my own life is going so drastically off the rails. If only they knew. ;-)

That said - I spent money I don't have and joined a Half-Marathon Running Clinic/Group ... it's through my local running/triathlon store, and it doesn't start till the end of June but it takes me through October (when our big marathon/half-marathon is here) ... so that should help me with motivation. If nothing else it'll get me out running twice a week. AND - I'm thinking about hiring a personal trainer, two sessions a week through June ... I really need to get back in the saddle and train hard, and I'm not motivating myself enough to do it. I have an Olympic distance triathlon in 6 weeks!

Today just sitting inside slogging away at this horrible schoolwork I can't seem to finish ... I work for hours and I only inch closer to the goal ... ugh. Have I mentioned that it's sucking the life out of me? I can't wait to be done this project - I think I'll finally feel free and alive again.

2008-05-21 6:37 PM
in reply to: #1417304

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

Trina.  That's fantastic!!!  Coaching your mate is a great way to keep yourself motivated as well.  Because if you won't do the work, then they won't do the work! 

And of someone that size, WALKING is the best way to start!  One of Australia's Biggest loser contestants this year: John had a heart attack the year before.  He lost a PHENOMINAL amount of weight and he wasn't allowed to do any high intesity workouts at all.  He was limited to walking and diet restriction intitially and then eventually he was allowed to do weights.  He proved to everyone that you CAN lose weight just from diet and low intensity workouts.  He was one of the inspirational blues this season.  I was really sad when he had to go home. 

As for your joining the club!  Trust me, if they're a good bunch of people you'll find yourself dropping everything to make it to training.  Joining Vision tri club is the best thing that's ever happened to me (second only FH asking me out and then asking me to marry him!)  I've never been more motivated for anything to do with sport or excercise - well  - EVER!!! 

It's worth the cash!!

Good luck with the school work.  Are you onto your thesis yet? 

BRIAN!  Which band???  When and where??

Okay - So I better tell you guys why I've been AWOL as of late.   

I'm attending Surgery now.  It's pretty damn cool!   

Australia has an obesity problem second ONLY to the United States.  Australia is FAT!   As part of the research our lab undertakes into understanding what makes the little fat cells grow, we collect and grow fat in vitro.  I'm now responsible for tissue collection. 

So now I get to wear scrubs and go and consent patients so I can collect their fat and grow it. It's FANTASTIC!  I feel like I'm in an episode of HOUSE or SCRUBS every tuesday now! 

All I've ever wanted to do in the medical field has been to attend surgery.  Now I get to do it once a week!  I can now cross a sort of "life goal" off my list.  I did want to become a doctor but I'm not smart enough or committed enough - Yet this has definatly satisfied that part of my life goals.  Medical scientist attending patient surgery for sample collection and testing!  It's BRILLIANT! 

2008-05-21 7:34 PM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
Congratulations on achieving a life goal, Maddy. And, good to have you back.

2008-05-21 8:39 PM

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
PM sendified.
2008-05-21 10:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

LOL!  You guys crack me up!  I've just done a quick review - You're a runner nla nla lalalala!    heee hee hee hee 

There's WAY too much that has been going on lately!  O_O   

2008-05-22 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Oh admit it - you missed us. ;-)
2008-05-22 12:04 PM

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs

Hey, small-ish world - I worked a summer incollege at a biomedical research facility where I was working on a yearssss-long study of the genetics of obesity.

Basically, I was tending to a few hundred lab rats, monitoring how much they would eat out of a fat-based food container vs. a carb- or protein-based food container.

I was only there one summer, but the study covered a few generations of the rats.  It was pretty cool stuff, even if I was only there for the grunt work.

Good times.

2008-05-22 1:56 PM

User image

Colorado
So is there any way I can donate some of my fat to research?????

2008-05-22 5:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

hee hee hee. 

brian -Bizarre!  It is a small - fat - world.  Rotund would be a good explanation for it.   

Andrea - LOL  Only if you're having abdominal surgery already and having it at this hospital in Brisbane.  We only take enough fat to fill a milk bottle cap. 

2008-05-22 5:41 PM

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
I can get LOTS of bottle caps.
2008-05-22 6:57 PM
in reply to: #1420220

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Well guys I'm back on the training train! I'm so excited ... tomorrow morning I'm meeting the personal trainer I hired - and I joined a running clinic that starts in a few weeks. This should be enough to get my butt motivated and out there again!
Oh - and my mother will be here next week - for 3 weeks. I love my mother, I love when she visits, and I find it's much easier to train when there's someone in the house I'm accountable to. Not to mention she lives in a land-locked province so will want to go to the beach every day - so no excuses not to be swimming. ;-)

Now all I need is someone to magically turn me into a hard core cyclist!!!

I'm interested in all this fat science stuff ... as a nutritionist and fitness instructor - I obviously have an interest. Tell me more.

(and yes - I do find it ironic that I myself am a trainer, yet I've had to go out and hire one for myself) hee hee hee.

I am a bit disappointed that my stapler broke today ... but I laugh because it's a sure sign that my mood is improving as I did not burst into tears when the stapler broke.
2008-05-22 9:01 PM
in reply to: #1420322

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

Best way to become a hardcore cyclist!  Start commuting to work and then drooling over bikes! 

I LOVE the Sarah ulmer bikes, (I've got a 2007 Sub zero.2!  She's beautiful and PINK!  and just so very me!)  As you can see from my logs - I've put more kms on her this year than I've put into my car...    YAY!  I'm now a greenie! 

I'm going to buy a Quintana roo AFTER i complete Noosa.  If I can't do noosa then I don't deserve such a sweet and pretty tri bike.

Anyway - Hardcore cycling tips.  Take food!  Take water!  Wear sunscreen! 

If you've got a drainer (trainer) then spend a session a week on there focusing on pedalling 360 with one foot (each).   This only works if you're riding clipless.  You need to push and pull all the time to increase your speed.    

Once you've mastered technique!  Then find a nice long and flat road or circuit and just ride!  Don't stop!  Don't slow down!  Just ride as hard and as fast as you can until you pass the end of the stretch of road (or just until you make however many laps of the circuit you want to do!)

Service your bike!  Always look for glass in the tire and pick it out, always pump up your tires, and show her some love with a bath every now and then eh?

LOL Trina - If you're interested on our research (Which is on the role of growth factors in the proliferation and differentiation of the fat cell precursors) all you need do is look up PUBMED through your university's library website and then do a search for FGF-1 and Adipocyte.  Most of our papers will come up.   

HOWEVER - the best preventative medicine for obesity is still good diet and excercise.  No matter what we discover that will ALWAYS be the cure!    

2008-05-22 9:13 PM
in reply to: #1420502

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD
Actually there's not much more I can write about hardcore cycling - except that one of my motivations for riding is to "keep up" with my fiance.  I've been chasing his cute arse for three years now!    Of course I'm going to get faster If I've got as a motivational tool - One of these days I will catch him! 

2008-05-23 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1420520

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Well unfortunately I do not have cute booty to chase on the bike. ;-(

But I appreciate your other tips ... I am sick of the drainer after a winter spent inside on it with my tri club (we do 2 pro-coached 90-min sessions weekly - and they're tough!!) .. but I just haven't quite managed to make the jump outside yet. On the drainer I'm an animal - on the roads, I'm a scared little newbie. Next week I'll get out there - I promise. I really do. ;-)
I'm just scared b/c my bike handling skills are pretty shaky, and I don't want to get hit by a car.

2008-05-23 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1421213

SpiritFire - 2008-05-23 10:44 AM Well unfortunately I do not have cute booty to chase on the bike. ;-( But I appreciate your other tips ... I am sick of the drainer after a winter spent inside on it with my tri club (we do 2 pro-coached 90-min sessions weekly - and they're tough!!) .. but I just haven't quite managed to make the jump outside yet. On the drainer I'm an animal - on the roads, I'm a scared little newbie. Next week I'll get out there - I promise. I really do. ;-) I'm just scared b/c my bike handling skills are pretty shaky, and I don't want to get hit by a car.

I don't have a cute booty to chase either, though I do have a cute booty to be chased by guys

I am actually the opposite on the trainer - I'm slower overall on the trainer. Though my handling skills aren't the best yet either, mostly in the arena of descending. I'm getting better at corners, at least little teeny swerves and turns in the trail. There are several sections of one of the trails here that are lots of little, easy curvy bits that I try to take a bit faster - it's good for practicing that leaning back and forth motion needed for cornering.

2008-05-23 11:07 AM

User image

Colorado

I've been riding my bike (okay, not since the surgery, but before) with all women.  I see alot of cute arses that I set as goals for myself   If you can imagine there's alot of "I have to work my abductors more to look like that, oh nice upper glutes there, oh I hope I don't look like that!" going through my head as I ride!  It's a nice break from "keep the hands off the brakes, hands OFF the brakes, BAD HANDS! Stop FREAKING OUT!!!" when I go down hills

Anyway, I just found out my thyroid is underactive.  Hopefully the synthroid will help me get rid of my extra fat.  It would be alot easier than flying to Australia and filling milk caps with it!

Edited by AndriaLL 2008-05-23 11:08 AM
2008-05-23 3:35 PM

Hope everyone has a good long weekend (for those of us who celebrate the long weekend - do they have memorial day in Canada and Australia? I'm guessing it's an American thing)! Since this is the bike-challenged group, everyone needs to get out and ride! I am getting in three rides this weekend  - yay! And I saw a REALLY cute bike jersey at my LBS that I think I need to buy for myself (in sleeveless cuz that's all LBS has). I have a coupon too! I heart vintage French poster art!

http://www.retroimageapparel.com/retroimagecatalog/jerseys/jsywmn-03.html

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-05-23 3:37 PM
2008-05-23 5:24 PM
in reply to: #1422268

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Hey now, WHO'S bike-challenged?

Y'all come to Cracklanta and I'll put on a clinic. Riding clipless, descending, pacelining...

I scored a SWEET new frame yesterday, should be here within a week. Carbon/Ti yumminess. SO excited. WOO HOO!!!

Everyone have a safe and great weekend!

2008-05-23 5:47 PM
in reply to: #1422268

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-23 1:35 PM

Hope everyone has a good long weekend (for those of us who celebrate the long weekend - do they have memorial day in Canada and Australia? I'm guessing it's an American thing)! Since this is the bike-challenged group, everyone needs to get out and ride! I am getting in three rides this weekend  - yay! And I saw a REALLY cute bike jersey at my LBS that I think I need to buy for myself (in sleeveless cuz that's all LBS has). I have a coupon too! I heart vintage French poster art!

http://www.retroimageapparel.com/retroimagecatalog/jerseys/jsywmn-03.html

We had our Victoria Day long weekend last weekend ... but what's funny is - they do not celebrate the holiday in Britian, only the other Commonwealth states ... but ... the Queen is British!! haha
2008-05-23 5:48 PM
in reply to: #1422407

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
I'M DONE I'M DONE I'M DONE I'M DONE I'M DONE I'M DONE I'M DONE I'M DONE I'M DONE I'M I'M DONE I'M DONE DONE I'M DONE I'M DONE I'M DONE I'M DONE I'M DONE I'M DI'M DONE I'M DONE I'M DONE!!!!

I think I attached a photo to prove it ... I used up an entire package of paper ... it's 2 1/2 inches thick ... I'm SO HAPPY I'm done!

Phuc schoolwork, I say. I'm DONE!

Edited by SpiritFire 2008-05-23 5:49 PM
2008-05-23 5:50 PM
in reply to: #1422419

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Does anyone know how to add photos? I think my brain is fried. - oh wait I figured it out.

Edited by SpiritFire 2008-05-23 5:51 PM

(IMG_0153 (Small).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0153 (Small).JPG (42KB - 7 downloads)
2008-05-23 6:26 PM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria

We don't have a long weekend here this weekend Frownand my hubby is possibly working most of the weekend so a ride is out of the question. Stupid trainer for me. Maybe a run tomorrow(Sunday) morning. I try to do most of my training during the week as I'm a stay at home mum and I like to try ank keep the weekends free for family stuff. I doesn't seem fair if I'm out playing all weekend when I do have the time during the week. Riding on the roads is no fun during the week tho'.

Awesome work Trina, finishing. It sounded like such a drag. I know when I have had stuff like that to do my house is always so so clean and tidy.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23