of 17

2008-06-06 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1450581

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: enginerd's group - CLOSED
froglegs - 2008-06-06 1:16 PM

Goal #1: Mud Run Sunday, my 27th b-day!!! Finish, have fun, and appreciate the milestone that this is for me - one year since I decided it was time to commit to getting in shape and exercising consistently (while floating in Lake San Antonio on my 26th birthday, beer in hand).

Nice job on your goals Robin! Yeah!!! Happy birthday on Sunday to you! and Happy "shape up" Anniversary too, that is awesome. AAANNNNDDD Have a great race!

Donato - woowoo!!!! on Lanzarote - can't wait for the official race report.

PS - I signed up for another race a super sprint tri Sept 7...  seems like a super fun distance.  My "hard" (for me) race is  2 weeks later.

Edited by chikopiakomak 2008-06-06 6:02 PM

2008-06-07 8:32 PM
in reply to: #1353607

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

May goals- I'm not sure I made goals for May.  I did the my first tri of the season in mid-May.  It was cold, windy and my knee started a new nagging pain.  After a trip to the sports med doc, I have a new injury.  ITBS.  Nice. 

June goals-
1.  First OLY on June 29!  As long as my knee behaves, I should be ready.
2.  Keep that knee healing.  It's been coming along really nicely, so I think I'll be OK for my race at the end of the month.
3.  Finish the bathroom remodels before the family comes to visit on June 28. 
4.  Finish the rest of the crazy projects DH has in progress before the family comes.
5.  Lose 6 pounds.  I've lost about 8 so far, but still more to go. 

Today, in preparation for the big family visit, I decided that the horses need to be cleaned up and tuned up.  Didn't know horses needed tune-ups, did you?  They haven't been ridden since Nov and weren't sure they were interested in being ridden now.  I picked Iago for my first victim.  He got a good brushing, a mane trim and about 30 min of easy walking around the property.  The labradog ran like a nut and even with her antics, he was a good boy.  He can act like a loon sometimes, so this was a good day.  Even though I haven't been on a horse in more than six months, I felt secure and confident.  Granted we were only walking, but it still felt good.  Here's a pic of me and Iago from a few years ago.  We've had him for 16 years and he'll be 19 in the fall.  He's our baby.

Have a great rest of the weekend, everyone!

Pattie

2008-06-09 8:46 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: my race report is finally done

how'd everybody do this weekend?

I finally finished my race report for IM Lanzarote (link to it here).  You'll see why it took me so long.  It's the longest RR I've ever written (which is saying a lot) and it has over 80 pictures in it.  Enjoy!

Pattie, I like the picture of you and your horse.  I had no idea they needed tuneups

2008-06-09 8:47 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: what injuries have you experienced?
question of the week for the peanut gallery - what injuries have you experienced and what did you need to do to overcome them?  It sounds like our group has had our share of injuries so maybe we can learn something from each other.
2008-06-09 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
June Goals:

1)bike commute to work 2/week and do one long ride/weekend
2)increase long run to 20 miles - avg 40mi/week total running
3)swim 3 time/week - 17,500 yds total
4)drop 2-3 lbs this month.

Nice RR, Donato, and a great race as well!

Hope the rest of you are well and enjoying your training!
2008-06-09 4:56 PM

Regular
NorCal, near Lake Tahoe, Ca
I survived my oly yesterday. I'm still waiting for them to put up the results. I think I finished in about 3 hours. I'll put up my race report here soon. I did this same race 2 years ago. I was hoping to beat my old time, but I think I did about the same.

I'm going to keep training for the HIM in Sept. But, I really am starting to have my doubts. An oly takes a lot out of me. I can only imagine a HIM.

Injuries: 2 years ago I had a soleus strain that put me out of commision for about 3 months. I went to PT for about a month until I finally got over it.

This Thanksgiving I got plantar fasciitis from running in old shoes. *very stupid* That also took about 3 months to get through.

2008-06-09 6:00 PM

Regular
OK, I admit it, I'm a computer doofus. How do you do a race report? There's no "new thread" button on that forum.

Syndi
2008-06-09 6:08 PM
in reply to: #1455332

User image

Master
San Francisco

Roadie gal - 2008-06-09 4:00 PM OK, I admit it, I'm a computer doofus. How do you do a race report? There's no "new thread" button on that forum. Syndi

Go to your race list.  You'll see the option for Edit next to your race listing.  Enter your race report.  One of the options you'll have is to Make Race Public, which will automatically publish it in the Race Reports forum.

Now we're all looking forward to your first RR!

2008-06-09 6:40 PM

Regular
Thanks. I figured it out just after I posted that question. It took me a bit to figure out that was what "edit" was for... The RR is up.

Here's the link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by Roadie gal 2008-06-10 8:27 AM
2008-06-10 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Congrats on your Oly, Syndi... I'm off to read the race report!
2008-06-10 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

Re:  Injuries

Gosh, I've had a few.  We'll just keep it to the triathlon-related injuries; no need to go back to horse-related injuries dating  back to 1987. 

1.  Morton's Neuroma (left foot).  It started with a cold, stabbing pain in the top of my foot.  No pain when just walking around; serious pain after a couple miles of running.  The podiatrist injected it with cortizone (which hurt worse) and it went away within a month.  No recurrance.

2.  Stress Fracture (left tibia).  Part 1-  This one started with shin splints that just didn't seem to get better.  I was training for a 5 mile race and doing a lot of hilly miles.  The downhills were my downfall.   Got fitted for custom orthotics.  This is the injury that led me to triathlon.  The podiatrist told me that I had to take at least 12 weeks off, so I started riding the bike.  The rest is history.  Five months after diagnosis, I did my first triathlon. 

3.  Stress Fracture (left tib).  Part 2-  It flared up again a year later.  More rest.  Another winter of elliptical and bike.  New set of orthotics. 

4.  IT Band inflamation (right knee).  The most recent.  Actually, I think this one is my fault.  I bought new shoes (Saucony Hurricane) and put my orthotics in them.   Turns out that the shoes were too much motion control and with the orthotics, I now supinated rather than pronated.  I could feel that they weren't right, but ran on it anyway.  Well, I hobbled on it.   Another trip to the sports med doc for new therapy exercises.  I've been running with the new shoes minus the orthotics and all seems well.

Guess that's about it.  I try to stay injury-free, but my body just has trouble with run training.  Of course, I could do more by doing my therapy exercises more regularly/ at all.  I do make sure to not run two days in a row and no more than 3 days a week.  That makes it impossible to get any faster, but it will keep me healthy.  The sports med doc suggested that I should focus on the bike more and just suffer being slow on the run.  Sound advice, doc. 

2008-06-10 2:36 PM
in reply to: #1453540

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: what injuries have you experienced?

The injuries I've experienced in recent history are:

Tendinitis on my front shin (last December) - this was most likely overuse.  it bothered me on 50K or longer runs.  just tolerable after 50K, but beyond that, it flared up.  Rest, PT, and strengthening excercises presumably helped, but I haven't yet tested it out at that level since.

Torn calf - this was kinda of a dumb mistake on my part.  Started using some newton shoes on my normal neighborhood hilly run.  Newton shoes shifted my run to a forefoot strike which was fine, but too much with the hills.  If I had built up gradually, this wouldn't have been a problem.  PT, RICE, and strengthening excercises.  Didn't bother me at all at Lanzarote, but that wasn't a hilly run.

Bruised under my kneecaps - this came from a bike accident where I landed hard on my knees.  Knees swelled up.  RICE, no running, some PT, and careful biking (keep the knee tracking correctly over my second toe) to keep from irritating the bruise finally led to recovery.

2008-06-10 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas

The only significant injury I've had in a while is a ruptured Achilles, Labor Day, 2005.  Weekend warrior, out of shape - went out to whip up on my son in tennis.  About 15 minutes into it I was changing direction going for a ball and I thought my shoe exploded.  It was a weird sensation, not really painful that much.  I went down then looked at my shoe and it was still in tact and I was a little confused.  I tried to move my foot and then kind of freaked out.

Had surgery about 5 days later - doc had to shorten it to get it back together.

Should have done the prescribed PT but didn't, so ended up going back 6 mos later begging for more PT which I did.  My right calf is 1 inch smaller in circumference now and sometimes I struggle with glute/hamstring pain due to the shortened length.

I see other folks who don't believe in stretching much, but it is an absolute necessity for me or I get pain all the way up the back of my leg and my calf tightens up.

So far so good - I played tennis quite a bit over the winter and now doing this crazy tri thing.

2008-06-11 2:07 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

I built up too quickly before the half marathon I ran on 1/20. I think I tore something in my left knee. There was pain in the back of the knee, and kind of a loose feeling. To this day I don't know what it was, but I took a couple weeks off from running and built back up slowly. There were a couple times when the pain came back, but for the last several weeks it seems to be fine, although I've only been running 2-3x per week, usually 4 or 5 miles. I haven't run more than 10k since January.

So now that I'm feeling good, I'm going to sign up for another half marathon on 9/13. I have 14 weeks, and this time I will train much more carefully!!!

Also, my RR is up for the Mud Run!!! 

Edited by froglegs 2008-06-11 2:38 PM
2008-06-12 8:18 PM

User image

Hi everyone!
My last post got lost in cyberspace, so I am trying again! That was a few days ago. It is just crazy trying to get everything ready to go! I should just stay off this site! Everytime I log on I discover something else I must have and off to the store I go! One big problem I am seeing is the weather difference. I have no idea what I need in colder weather, nor have I worn any of this stuff. I live in the desert, when its cold I stay in or on the trainer. Not much of winter, so I really don't have the stuff! Do I need toe warmers on the bike? Haven't even seen such a thing! I know I can deal with cold on the run- but by then it will be hot! Its the start of the bike when its 40-50 out and I have spent almost 2 hours in the 56 degree lake I am concerned about! Went and bought arm warmers, now I am considering leg warmers, but what do I do with all the extra when I dry off and it gets warm? I have to wonder if being cold will slow me down so much that I should even worry about wearing the extra stuff. I think it's just geting too close and it's all so new to me that I am going crazy! So I am suppose to be in taper right now, but looking at what my coach has for me it doesn't seem like much different, except the long ride and run are gone! YEAH! otherwise the week is just as full as ever!
I bought one of those new aerodrink holders, the big one and it doesn't fit between my aerobars- bummer! I am not planning to take anything from the aid stations on the bike, so I am trying to figure out how to get it all the bike- definately counting on special needs bag! Just read today maybe I need reflective tape? UGH! Never though of that! Isn't the glow sticks good enough? I will definately be out after dark!

Donato- just spent the last hour reading your RR! Great report. Loved all the pictures. Of course I showed the pics to my family and now my kids want to have t-shirts for race day! One more thing to do this weekend!

Injuries- nothing serious, just IT band problems and planter fasciitis. Both controlled with orthotics and shoes. Have improved during IM training. I though I would have more trouble, but it has been much better!
2008-06-15 11:40 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

I hope everyone had a good weekend!!

I figured out an interesting (and relatively inexpensive) solution to my bike dilemma.  I got road handlebars (Salsa Poco) and short reach Ultegra levers and put them on my Cervelo One.  It was kind of a pain since I had to swap out all the cables and the front derailer was extremely uncooperative, but I was done by Friday.  I had to move a spacer and flip the stem, and there is still quite a drop, but it feels pretty good.  I did 50 miles on it yesterday and all was well, except for some back pain, but that's because I'm not used to riding 50 miles.  I think I"ll get some new (shorter) aero bars, and then the transformation will be complete!  I also ripped a bunch of the yellow decals off and now it looks a lot better.  Pics soon!

2008-06-17 4:30 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: Question for the week...
Do you stretch?  If not, you should!  If you do, what stretches do you do when?
2008-06-17 9:31 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
Before each run/bike I stretch my ITB, quads and calves. After ramping up my training volume I've learned the absolute need for stretching post-training... and also massage. I use my newly purchased "The Stick" (aka torture device) and I also keep a baseball in my truck to massage my quads while I'm driving.

2008-06-17 10:27 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

I stretch after most of my workouts.  I'm pretty good about doing it after every bike and run, but not so much after strength training or swimming.  I also have gotten in the habit of icing my knees after each run (doing it now in fact). 

In other news, I cut my run short today because I felt like absolute crap.  Of course my day was rather stressful - I went to work early, had a crappy morning, and left at noon to go to a job interview, which went well I think.  I got home way earlier than usual and planned to do a brick, but took an hour and a half nap instead of the bike ride.  I guess sometimes you just have to listen to your body and give it what it wants, and today for me that was sleep.

2008-06-18 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas

Bryan - i've heard/seen alot about those torture devices and i see them at the gym - how do you use them? 

I'm good about stretching before running, swimming, and spinning - weirdly I'm bad about stretching before actual bike riding - horrible about stretching after all exercise, but when I do I notice how much quicker i "recover" and the soreness goes away faster.  Need to add after stretching more.  If I go the gym I stretch more as a general rule than if I do something at home.

Robin - hope the job thing works out for you!   

2008-06-18 1:26 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, CA
At Donato's prompting many moons ago I bought a foam roller. I used it twice -- the day I bought it and one day when he was over and insisted that I use it. I hated it, it hurt, I didn't need it.

But now that I've dramatically increased my bike volume, and now added back in the running, I started getting deep knots in both quads, all the way up and down my quads. So I started religiously stretching and massaging my quads. Recovery is much faster too.

So once again Donato plants the seeds of truth in my head, then I have to suffer a little before the light turns on and I realize, yep once again Donato is right. Yeah I'm a slow learner.

2008-06-18 7:41 PM

Regular
Speaking of injuries... I have a hip pointer. It started after the race. I took it easy and it was feeling better. But today I had my long run. I went out on one of the easier local trails. It was fine until the FURTHEST point from my car, of course. I walked/ran/hobbled the 40 minutes back to the car. At home I put ice on it and took ibuprofen. Now I'm walking around like an old cripple. Aaarrrgh!! It seems like the running gods do not like me!
2008-06-18 11:12 PM

User image

I don't stretch as much as I should. I do a little after a ride or run, but I know I should improve that!
Right now I am in Idaho, on my way to CDA and now I am starting to get a cold! What bad timing. Went to the drug store, bought supplies and hopefully can get it un der control so it doesn't become full blown by Sun!
2008-06-19 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas

Syndi - UGH bummer!!!!!  Hope that heals up quickly!

GO TANYA - all the best on your race.

2008-06-20 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
I don't stretch nearly enough, though I've been better this year than in the past thanks to yoga with my GF.

Hope you all have a great weekend!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17