Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 137

2009-01-12 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1901906

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL

I used to have lower back issues like you were describing and for me it ended up being weaker core/back muscles not my flexibility. I threw hyperextensions into my weight workouts and now do them daily and no longer have issues. I normally do 3x20-25 and was actually thinking of doing a 100 hyperextension challenge ramping up like the pushup one does, who wants in?

http://www.exercisegoals.com/hyperextensions.html

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-01-12 8:27 AM

To all... Happy Monday ~ and thanks for the info.  When I stretch, it typically follows a light warm-up or post workout - to release some of the tightness that usually follows.

I beleive my flexibility was to blame during my HIM this past November... the bike got to be really tough after about mile 35... lower back while in the aero was getting tight.  I had to spend more and more time out of the saddle to help stretch out the back.  That was only a 3hr ride... 6hrs in the saddle for IMFL - I definitely need to improve in order to finsih effectively.

I know there are Yoga classes nearby... but I am not sure about the Pilates.  I am going to check in to the Yoga and see how that is.

2009-01-12 9:29 AM
in reply to: #1901948

User image

Master
New York, NY
evondo - 2009-01-12 9:47 AM

I used to have lower back issues like you were describing and for me it ended up being weaker core/back muscles not my flexibility. I threw hyperextensions into my weight workouts and now do them daily and no longer have issues. I normally do 3x20-25 and was actually thinking of doing a 100 hyperextension challenge ramping up like the pushup one does, who wants in?

Happy Monday...hope you all had a great weekend!!

Who am I to turn down a challenge.  Count me in!  I actually do these already, but I never knew what it was called.  And I think our bench it set up slightly different.

I also really like the exercise goals website! 

2009-01-12 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Happy Monday morning everyone. I am excited about my afternoon run today since I will be upping it to 3 miles. Since I have had the calf issue I came across something at the gym last Monday. Foam rollers. Last Monday when I got done running and was stretching out I notice they had the rollers. I had looked them up online before as I was getting the Stick and all. I had hand massage my calf in the past and never really found that spot where there was pain. It basically ached real bad all the time. So I was rolling my calf and Whoaa I felt that spot. I rolled over it for about 5 minutes working through some pain. Come Tuesday major soreness. I really thought I had messed it up and made it worse. Still hurt pretty well on Wed but I still ran and rolled on it some more. Thurs was pretty sore again but Friday I had some relief. I picked up the pace on Friday and more rolling. Come today I must say this is the best improvement I have had on the calf in 3 months. **Knocks on wood** Very slight soreness on Saturday, none Sunday and feeling real good today. Still plan on taking it slow today but it is finally nice to see light at this long tunnel.

2009-01-12 9:54 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
evondo - 2009-01-12 8:47 AM

I am definitely in.  This will also get me back into the gym, as I do not have a back-extension bench at the house.  What type of set structure were you thinking of?  There is the possibility of mirroring the SU challenge sets and see how that works. 

2009-01-12 9:57 AM
in reply to: #1901946

User image

Nicole83 - 2009-01-12 8:42 AM

Check out www. collegevideo.com for a ton of yoga/stretch dvds.  I love the ones that Shiva Rea does.  The website ranks difficulty of the workouts, and you can view samples of the video.

Thanks.  I will check it out.

2009-01-12 10:02 AM
in reply to: #1902109

User image

Master
Houston

I was just going to mirror the PU challenge, getting to a 100 of those will be pretty dang tough!

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-01-12 9:54 AM

I am definitely in.  This will also get me back into the gym, as I do not have a back-extension bench at the house.  What type of set structure were you thinking of?  There is the possibility of mirroring the SU challenge sets and see how that works. 

2009-01-12 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1902127

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
evondo - 2009-01-12 11:02 AM

I was just going to mirror the PU challenge, getting to a 100 of those will be pretty dang tough!

That does not sound fun to me at all.  You all are on your own there.

2009-01-12 9:40 PM
in reply to: #1902127

evondo - 2009-01-12 10:02 AM

I am going to give this a try the next time I go to the gym. I might be up for the challenge!
2009-01-13 7:33 AM
in reply to: #1903623

User image

Master
Houston

Good morning everyone! Here's this weeks swim workout, inspired by my workout this AM...

200 Swim
2x100 (swim/side-kick x25)

Repeat 1-3 times (1x1000,2x1500,3x2000)
1x150 on :30s rest
2x100 on :20s rest
3x50 on :10s rest
Rest 1:00

100 Easy

2009-01-13 7:36 AM
in reply to: #1902192

User image

Master
Houston

The fun part is when you roll into your T2 during the HIM with no back pain and able to run

Nicole83 - 2009-01-12 10:25 AM

That does not sound fun to me at all.  You all are on your own there.

2009-01-13 7:39 AM
in reply to: #1903988

User image

Master
New York, NY
evondo - 2009-01-13 8:33 AM

Good morning everyone! Here's this weeks swim workout, inspired by my workout this AM...

200 Swim
2x100 (swim/side-kick x25)

Repeat 1-3 times (1x1000,2x1500,3x2000)
1x150 on :30s rest
2x100 on :20s rest
3x50 on :10s rest
Rest 1:00

100 Easy

Looks like an awesome workout!  And as luck would have it I was planning to go to the pool this evening.  I'll give it a try & let you know how it goes.

2009-01-13 7:39 AM
in reply to: #1902066

User image

Master
Houston

Great to hear! As you said still take it slow until the soreness is gone.  A lot of people have trouble controlling the urge to go faster when they see the light at the end of the tunnel

Newtons1st - 2009-01-12 9:37 AM Happy Monday morning everyone. I am excited about my afternoon run today since I will be upping it to 3 miles. Since I have had the calf issue I came across something at the gym last Monday. Foam rollers. Last Monday when I got done running and was stretching out I notice they had the rollers. I had looked them up online before as I was getting the Stick and all. I had hand massage my calf in the past and never really found that spot where there was pain. It basically ached real bad all the time. So I was rolling my calf and Whoaa I felt that spot. I rolled over it for about 5 minutes working through some pain. Come Tuesday major soreness. I really thought I had messed it up and made it worse. Still hurt pretty well on Wed but I still ran and rolled on it some more. Thurs was pretty sore again but Friday I had some relief. I picked up the pace on Friday and more rolling. Come today I must say this is the best improvement I have had on the calf in 3 months. **Knocks on wood** Very slight soreness on Saturday, none Sunday and feeling real good today. Still plan on taking it slow today but it is finally nice to see light at this long tunnel.

2009-01-13 7:41 AM
in reply to: #1903623

User image

Master
Houston

Sweet! Even if you don't want to work towards a 100 of them, I highly recommend the exercise for all triathletes...

sjf21 - 2009-01-12 9:40 PM I am going to give this a try the next time I go to the gym. I might be up for the challenge!

2009-01-13 8:35 AM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

good morning group. Thanks for another great swim workout. I am printing them and saving them for post marathon - back to tri training - days. Honestly, I can't wait...I'm in a training class today, so i'll be feining for BT. Trying to check it on the phone.
2009-01-13 9:57 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Holy back to back meetings batman!

Thanks for the new swim workout... looks like I might have to wait until later this week to get it in as it's supposed to storm here this afternoon.

My trainer killed me yesterday and my hamstrings and biceps hurt like crazy.  Going to make for an interesting ride this afternoon.

2009-01-13 10:47 AM

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN
I did all 3 today.  Wow it was awesome!!!  Just a 15min quick bike ride warm up, then my scheduled run (20min run 10 walk) then 15min of swimming.  During the swim I tried to focus on the stuff I learned at the swim clinic over the weekend.  Gunna need some training tools for swimming next.  But I feel fantastic today, need to take a shower and a quick nap.

2009-01-14 8:24 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Question of the day- for those of you with significant others... do you have any special techniques you use to make sure that your SO doesn't feel slighted by your training?

Husband and I have a kind of "get out of jail free" system where he can tell me any time that he needs me to skip training and spend time with him.  He does not exercise regularly, and doesn't do tris or play any sports really.  I love him to death, and will always honor his request when he asks, but I wonder how many times he feels... neglected (for lack of a better word) because I'm off swimming/biking/running.

He is nothing if not supportive, but I still feel a certain amount of guilt.

Thoughts or suggestions?  Please feel free to tell me I'm being irrational if you truly think that I am as well.

2009-01-14 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1906594

User image

Master
New York, NY
Nicole83 - 2009-01-14 9:24 AM

Question of the day- for those of you with significant others... do you have any special techniques you use to make sure that your SO doesn't feel slighted by your training?

Husband and I have a kind of "get out of jail free" system where he can tell me any time that he needs me to skip training and spend time with him.  He does not exercise regularly, and doesn't do tris or play any sports really.  I love him to death, and will always honor his request when he asks, but I wonder how many times he feels... neglected (for lack of a better word) because I'm off swimming/biking/running.

Thoughts or suggestions?  Please feel free to tell me I'm being irrational if you truly think that I am as well.

I don't currently have a significant other, so not sure how helpful I'll be on this topic.  This topic is always so interesting to me!!  I'm also curious how you make it all work when you have a significant other and also for people that are raising children. 

I like your "get out of jail free" system.  I think it's important to make time for each other, and to not let training (and talking about tri's and training) take over your life.  As much as I can go on and on and talk about tri's all day, not everyone is interested & wants to hear about it (crazy, I know).  This is only one aspect of your life.  Maybe you can also make set date nights.

I can only speak from past experience....my ex wasn't into running or tri's, although he'd occasionally run with me since he knew how much I liked it.  He wasn't really a morning person and he usually worked later than I did, so I tried to get my workouts done in the early morning or right after work.  I made a huge effort not to let it cut into "our" time.  Unfortuantely though he got jealous of the time I spent training/how much I truly love this, and ultimately became very resentful of this aspect of my life.  Aside from cutting running & tri's out completely (which I realize is not rational), I don't know what I could have done differently.  But, obviously there were issues that ran a lot deeper than a training schedule.

2009-01-14 9:29 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Nicole83 - 2009-01-14 9:24 AM

Now that I'm thinking about it, there was a thread about this topic (last month, maybe) in Triathlon Talk. 

2009-01-14 12:55 PM

User image

Nicole83 - 2009-01-14 8:24 AM

I don't really have a plan in place to address this issue.  It hasn't really ever been an issue.  I do like the idea of the "Get out of jail free" card, however - I'm reluctant to offer it to my SO, cuz she may think she has a whole stack of 'em.  lol.  Racing can get expensive... entry fees, equipment, etc... I need a "get out of the bank account" free card. 

I used to work A-LOT, so me being gone isn't that huge of an adjustment.  I do try and take time to spend with just the family....sans training.  It requires a tremendous amount of understanding and allowances to commit to this sport and continue to do it injury free.  This especially is true of the commitment to do a half or full IM.  Yeah, you can finish a lot of races with minimal training, but you increase your risk for injury exponentially.  

2009-01-14 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Houston

Similar to Kelli, I always try to cram my workouts in the AM or before she gets home from work that way there's minimal quality time with her lost. We also talked before I decided to train for this HIM and laid out what it would take for me to accomplish what I wanted to.  Since I do my long run during the week, the long bike 3-4hrs has to fall on the weekend so I try and get that in when it best fits our weekend plans.

I was also lucky enough that she wanted to give triathlons a shot even though she didn't know how to swim.  She swims with my coach and we run to/from our running group together so it's gotten to the point where she wants me to be at the workouts with her... Any chance you can talk him into a sprint? I'd recommend one you're not doing so you can just watch and cheer

Nicole83 - 2009-01-14 8:24 AM

2009-01-14 1:09 PM

User image

Master
New York, NY

I've been searching for an email in my sentbox.....never found it, but I did come across this and it's too awesome not to share!

If Chuck Norris were a triathlete:
traffic lights would change to green as soon as he approached an intersection.

he would race an Ironman . . .everyday . . .before 8am.

you could waterski behind him during the swim. A few lucky competitors would be caught in his wake, and would be awarded with an extra fast time.

he would ride 40km an hour . . .backwards.

he would perform double handed bottle catches on the bike course.

he could finish an Ironman on only a half bottle of tepid tap water, and a handful of Chex mix.

he’d never get flats. If for some bizarre reason his front tire went flat, he’d just ride a wheelie for the remainder of the ride.

he wouldn’t wear a helmet, just that same old crusty bandana, or a cowboy hat.

he wouldn’t wear a race number, he’d just pin his Texas Ranger badge directly on his bare chest.

he’d run barefoot over a specially designed course of hot coals.

no one would draft him because no one drafts off Chuck Norris.

I don't know what it is but I find anything about Chuck Norris absolutely hilarious.
2009-01-14 1:18 PM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Kelli that totally made my day!  Hahaha.  Where did all the Chuck-Norris making fun start anyway?  I remember the Norris-isms were super popular in college, but I don't remember what started it?
2009-01-14 3:29 PM
in reply to: #1907421

User image

Master
Houston

I remember a while back people wanting to watch Kona 2008, it's now available online...

http://www.everymantri.com/everyman_triathlon/2009/01/2008-ironman-world-championships.html

2009-01-14 10:32 PM
in reply to: #1907370

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN

Interesting that this should come up.  I was talking about this with a friend of mine recently.  He is a national champion race car driver.  He has recently gotten a HUGE chance to get his foot in the professional door, his dream.  Now he has gotten rid of many women that did not support him.  His current Girl Friend is ultra supportive (took time off of work to be with him in Atlanta for the National championships).  He and I know that with his future plans he needs to have someone that will continually be supportive, its costs about 1000 dollars a weekend to race and if some professional stuff comes along then time away from home starts to go up. 

Now his girl wants to start doing some Duelathlons.  The first problem is the event she is planning to do is the same weekend as one of the biggest events all season.  So he asks me what he should do......

I do like Eriks idea of sitting down with the SO and saying laying it all out.  I think I will share that with him.  I'm lucky (depending on how you look at it) to not have this problem.  Though I hope to have to deal with it in the future HEH.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137