BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz winter training group is FULL!!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2009-02-07 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1950879

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Newbz winter training group is FULL!!!!!
looking good everyone,

congrats on the race PR!

david, that looks like a solid lead up to the race, remember, the money is in the bank now, so if you feel tired, back off the training this week.

malcom, enjoy that weather, it was 45 here today and it felt like summer!

thomas, i just got in two hours on the trainer, not fun.

2009-02-08 8:36 AM
in reply to: #1858045

Extreme Veteran

Wow the sun is shining two days in a row.  I'll be running outside today for sure. 

Since I'm new tow this stuff I don't have the acronyms down yet.  What is PR.  Congrats it must be good.  And TTT?  and are there any other ones I should know?  Thanks!

2009-02-08 12:06 PM
in reply to: #1950879

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
EightmanVT - 2009-02-07 9:13 PM

Good to see things picking up here again!

No - I haven't ridden the bike yet.  I ended up taking everyone's advice - and left it in the back of the SUV while I went to the gym to day for my normal workout.  Did get a good one in - which included a 45min ride on the stationary bike.  I felt great working out today - but really crashed when I got home...kinda wierd...then about 2hrs later - felt great again.  Anyway - Im taking the bike out tomorrow...to get a feel for it....working on clipping in and out....  It's going to be over 60 degrees tomorrow. 

wo wo wo!  We did not advise not riding your brand new bike.  We advised skipping the group ride.    I had my new tri bike for 3 months and did not ride it.  .  What you need is a ride with just one other guy/gal if you can find it.  Otherwise start off on a riding trail or a big open parking lot just to feel like you know what your doing with your feet clipped it.

2009-02-08 12:28 PM
in reply to: #1951315

DieuEtMonDroit - 2009-02-08 1:06 PM

wo wo wo!  We did not advise not riding your brand new bike.  We advised skipping the group ride.    I had my new tri bike for 3 months and did not ride it.  .  What you need is a ride with just one other guy/gal if you can find it.  Otherwise start off on a riding trail or a big open parking lot just to feel like you know what your doing with your feet clipped it.

Hehe...That's what I meant.  I skipped the bike ride yesterday - and just did my normal workout.  I'm heading out now...to see if I can get the hang of clipping in and out.  Will let you guys know how many times I fell over.

2009-02-08 1:57 PM
in reply to: #1951144

User image

Champion
gojogo - 2009-02-08 8:36 AM

Wow the sun is shining two days in a row.  I'll be running outside today for sure. 

Since I'm new tow this stuff I don't have the acronyms down yet.  What is PR.  Congrats it must be good.  And TTT?  and are there any other ones I should know?  Thanks!

a PR or PB is a personal record or personal best,

TTT is one of two things, if you are refering to what thomas said it means a team time trial, if you were referning to myself or chris we are talking about a race called american triple t, or TTT
which is a team triathlon featuring 4 races of three days (a super sprint on fri, two olympic races with the 2nd being bike.swim.run on sat, and a half ironman on sunday).

malcom, good luck!
2009-02-08 2:24 PM

Sooooo....I'm pleased to report...that I managed to stay upright the entire time.   I guess I'll save my falls for when I'm with a group - so my chagrin can be properly appreciated.

I really didn't have much trouble getting in and out - the speedplays seemed to work pretty good for me - the closest I came to trouble was when practicing stopping - my stopping foot would slip.  Someone should put a little rubber on that metal cleat - it slips like crazy on asphalt.  Otherwise - I kept it pretty easy on myself - but practiced in a parking lot...then did several laps of a 3.5mi course... (kinda windy today so ...took some of the fun out of riding...for me at least) - also got used to standing and riding...a little awkward for me at first on this bike for some reason - never bothered me in college on a mountain bike.   My hands were a little tired of supporting my upper body on the bars...but I guess I'll get used to that.

All in all - a successful ride.  Now...I just need to figure out how to get at least 2 solid rides in a week.  That will be a challenge.

2009-02-08 3:23 PM

User image

Expert

Good to hear Malcolm.  If you adjust the tension on the pedals to be kind of loose, then you won't have to ever fall over.  When you get to the fall over point the mind panic and the feet yank furiously.  This usually results in no luck in freeing the feet on quickly ends up in the attitude of the Collosus of Rhodes.  But if the tension is low, the panic will in fact free the feet.

2009-02-08 8:28 PM
in reply to: #1951436

User image

Champion
malcom,

great job! which model of speedplays did you end up with? i am a speedplay user as well and love them!

riding out of the saddle on a road bike after a mountain bike will take a bit of getting used to, but after a week or so of riding these things will start to become 2nd nature.

2009-02-09 8:32 AM
in reply to: #1951774

newbz - 2009-02-08 9:28 PM malcom, great job! which model of speedplays did you end up with? i am a speedplay user as well and love them! riding out of the saddle on a road bike after a mountain bike will take a bit of getting used to, but after a week or so of riding these things will start to become 2nd nature.

I got the speedplay "chrome moly black"??  I didn't see a model number on the box - heck...when you asked the question - I was thinking....errrr...the round ones...hehe.  I didn't know there were other models.

If the weather is good - I'm just going to jump into a group ride this coming weekend...if I fall and make a fool of myself...so be it.  I need to ride!!  Hopefully it's not as windy...I didn't enjoy the ride as much...since I felt like I was going directly into the wind for much of it.  I am a little dismayed by what I saw on the speedmeter though - I don't know what my avg pace should be to be competitive in a Sprint (Clydesdale class...) - although I'm going to go look right after posting this....  But...I know I wasn't doing very well.  I think I was doing about 8 mph up the hill....and reached a top speed of 32mph...going downhill in top gear.  I'm still trying to get used to shifting...and anticipating what gear I should be in.  Especially important it seems when apporaching a hill.  I only have 2 gears on the front...errr...I don't even know the correct terminology.

2009-02-09 8:37 AM
in reply to: #1951481

DieuEtMonDroit - 2009-02-08 4:23 PM

Good to hear Malcolm.  If you adjust the tension on the pedals to be kind of loose, then you won't have to ever fall over.  When you get to the fall over point the mind panic and the feet yank furiously.  This usually results in no luck in freeing the feet on quickly ends up in the attitude of the Collosus of Rhodes.  But if the tension is low, the panic will in fact free the feet.

Hehe...well... millions of bikers before me have managed to figure it out...hopefully I'll be ok.  Sunday's run wasn't too bad...

2009-02-09 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio

Good morning Gentlemen,

I finally got off my butt and started my TTT training yesterday. I am still going to do my P90X stuff and think I can incorporate it in. I need the strenght work to maintain what little muscle I have I am moving all my swims to Tues, Thurs and Sat. I'll try to be better about keeping in contact. I also am down another pound. Well back to work....too bad you can't include tile work into the training plan. Later guys.

Chris

2009-02-09 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1952297

User image

Champion
chris, good to hear and nice work,

malcom,

the chainrings on the front are reffered to as the big and small ring, on the rear its called a cessette. during normal riding you want to select a gear that will allow you to maintain a faster cadence (high 70s through 100), within that range its very personal and your body will keep you where you need to be.

at this point, the best thing you can do training wise is simply get out often and ride. if you have the time/weather permitting, trying to get out 3 times a week, two rides in the 45 min to an hour and thirty, and slowing building up the 3rd (starting right now only a bit longer than the other two, if they are 45 min, do just over an hour), and keep adding 10 min or so per week to the longer ride. within one of the shorter rides, do something like 5x5 min hard, or 2x10 min hard.

if you have time, add in another short ride.

your biggest gains right now are going to come from simply getting in the milage.
once you are comfortable riding/finding that your body is adjusting well, then you can start adding in a bit more intensity, but for hte most part simply riding more is going togive you nearly the same gains.

as far as ave speeds are concerned, they dont really show the whole story (in training), things like stopsigns, lights, turns, ect can knock that down a LOT. as an example i rode yesterday for about an hour and a half, and was doing intervals at or just above race pace, total i ave about 35 min riding faster than 26mph, yes my ave speed for the ride was about 19. and this was on flat ground, very few turns. if this had of been in a city, it would be even lower for the ave. the point here is that it can be very misleading as to what was done during the ride.

worry about the speed a bit more on race day/during harder stuff, but dont rely on it too much. speed can be influnced by so many things you cannot control such as wind, road surface, what you are wearing, tempurture, and so many other things. in other words you could be going 8mph up a hill, or 5 into a head wind and be working WAY harder than while you are going 25 on flat ground.

its fun but understand what effects it.

on a flat sprint race you'll see the top bike times ave anywhere from 23 to 26 mph depending on the course, who shows up, and weather.

the pedals come in a few models, zero, frog, x-series, and i am blanking on the other two.
they are all great pedals and for me some of the easiet to use i have seen, ubt you are right, walking in them at first takes some getting used too!
2009-02-10 8:50 AM

User image

Expert

Found our thread on the second page of mentor group threads again and had to bump us back to the first page.

I hope everyone is doing well.

2009-02-10 9:42 AM

Yeah slackers...get to posting!!  We're getting lapped by other groups... ;-)

Thanks for the additional bike education David.  I plan on working in rides - where and when I can.  I think as it gets a little warmer and the days get a little longer that may prove a bit easier.  I'm considering doing a spinning class tomorrow - although I seem to be fighting a cold (no wonder since everyone around here seems to be sporting one) but I want to get in as much training as I can over this week...since Monday I'll be heading to the UK and won't be returning until Tuesday of the following week - it's always touch and go trying to workout over there - but no matter what, I'll be knocked completely out of my routine for a week.

2009-02-10 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1954321

User image

Champion
yeah anything on a bike right now will help, spinning, stationary, whatever.

i managed to crash and eat the road yesterday, was planning on doing a TT with a friend but was rubber necking at some road rage and turned around in time to catch his rear skewer on my wheel, hit the ground hard (banged up but nothig too hurt), bike is ok save for the front wheel, popped two spokes that are gonna need replaced. grrrr
2009-02-10 10:50 AM

User image

Expert
Nevermind my tritech TT idea.

2009-02-10 3:50 PM

User image

New user

Sorry I have been MIA- I was sick for a week and now trying to get back into the swing of things.

On Saturday I did my first mt. bike ride in a long time. There is a trail known as "Jones" that is about 2.6 miles up a steep, unforgiving hill (took me 46 minutes inlcuding at least 4 or 5 stops). You reach the summit where are beautiful views of the silicon valley. You blaze down the same hill, which only takes about 12. After taking spinning classes at least once a week for the past year, I thought I would have been a little better prepared for this ride. The computer on the indoor bikes clocks me at 16-20 miles per hour class (and I crank that resistance up!!!) To accomplish only 5.2miles in an hour was a little discouraging! My tri in May is a 9.7 mile mt. bike course, and I was not worried, until after my ride on Sat. Frown

Any thoughts?

2009-02-10 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Elgin,
Ok, so I haven't been an avid (pick one that fits best for the moment); poster, biker, runner, swimmer, etc.  I am still recovering from the chest cold that started the week of the Half Marathon which was Jan 18th.  I haven't started the Marathon training yet.  I have noticed that I missed quit the talk about race prices.  I am not against paying the $125, but since there is another Marathon race for half the price on the same day that I also have high on my list of races to complete I think I will do that one first.
2009-02-10 9:03 PM

Extreme Veteran

Kristy, sounds like a tough ride.  Can a spinning class prepare you for that kind of incline?  I've never been in a class.  Good luck working up to 9.7.

I definitely have spring feve after today.  It was almost 60, too windy for a bike ride.  Managed to get in a quick run.  I hate it when life gets in the way of training. 

Hope everyone in the east is enjoying the sunshine while it lasts.  Snow is back in the forecast for Thursday. 

2009-02-10 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1955867

User image

Champion
i have found spinning, indoor riding, ect, to be a great workout and deff helps get you ready for outside, but doesnt replace the real thing.
that suonded like a brutal climb though, nice job for doing it!

glad to hear you guys are getting over being sick, its going around a lot here right now, most of the kids i coach have been sick (hopping i dont get round two here soon).

the weather has been amazing here but looks like its heading back to the pits after tomorrow, more snow:-(
2009-02-11 7:53 AM

Ugh...I had to bail on the spinning/core classes I was going to do this morning.  On the way home from the pool last night - my stomach started cramping hard... I initially thought it was just rebelling because I was hungry when I went for the swim -and it didn't like all the chlorinated water I had swallowed - but after I ate dinner - my entire abdomen had stabbing pains...for most of the night.  I decided to give myself today off to try to get this little bug out of my system.  Seems to be "relatively" settled this morning - hopefully it'll be gone by this evening.  I don't have time for bugs like this...!!

2009-02-11 8:01 AM

User image

Expert

Kristy, glad you getting better.  I hope your not too discouraged about the climb.  I would have no idea what is good for that climb. It obvisously can't compare to optimal conditions on a road.  Once you get outside you'll be able to start transfereing your spinning conditioning to road speed.  That won't be an immediate transfer either, but the indoor training will bring the time it takes to get to your "this season best road speed" down to a minimum.  Outdoors, you'll develop a suitable balance between aero and power.

Travis, hope your feeling better too.  Good luck with upping your run volume for marathons.

My report:  I've worked out 24 days straight.  22 runs.  I am trying to improve my run times while not letting my other training slip.  I started some weight training too.  How am I doing so far?  I'm tired.

2009-02-11 6:31 PM
in reply to: #1950900

User image

Champion
how'd everyones day go?

i got to bike through some crazy high winds in the rain! iw as going at time trial pace, into the wind and going maybe 14mph, on the way back over 30 the whole time!
2009-02-11 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Elgin,

This morning I managed to get a swim in that was actually worth the drive to the pool.  I decided to just go for time instead of distance since the cold keep me down to 600-800 the last few weeks.  I managed to swim for 30 min and got 1333.33 yd done.  The pool is 100ft in length which is why I have the odd distance.

This after noon I decided to run.  The temp was 43 but felt like 35 with the wind chill.  The entire run out was into the wind, but back was with it.  I managed to run 4.13 in 33 min flat.  It's funny, during the summer I could hold that pace with ease and now I am struggling to keep it.  That was my faster tempo run for the week though, the rest will be much slower and more enjoyable.

Still haven't kicked this thing completely, but I have noticed that I unlike the other Marines in my unit am at least still getting out there and getting some time in.

2009-02-11 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1957707

User image

Champion
good to hear you are feeling better. the times will come back as you get better and get get some training in without it wrecking your body from being sick.

good luck!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz winter training group is FULL!!!!! Rss Feed  

of 20