BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-04-24 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2108336

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED
freeflykami - 2009-04-24 1:22 PM Yep! I've got the 100 free sat. morning, and then 50 free, 50 fly and 100 IM on sunday, I am even hoping to get on a relay team.

I am hoping for some PBs but dont think that I will be placing for the first time this season :0( looks like the Fast ladies will be showing up for this meet... But then it is a regional championship...

They had Dara Torres' times on the pshyc sheets, I just about fliped thinking that she would show up! But it was just for her AWSOME records! (Her 100 free is 46.34, mine is 1:06.33)

GOOD LUCK to everyone that is racing this weekend, there are a lot of us!

Have a great swim meet!

2009-04-25 6:09 AM
in reply to: #2068936

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
30 minute run this morning (pre-race warmup) and then an hour of swimming. I usually swim first but I can't make it to the early swim today.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend and happy training to the others
2009-04-25 12:56 PM

User image

New user

Hi girls!  Race report is up.  I didn't do as well as I hoped.  I thought I was going to cry when I came around the corner and saw the hill at the end.  Owell, I have my choice of plenty of other 5ks to run in the rest of the summer.  Maybe I'll start looking for a 10k...

Went to the gym after and lifted legs.  I picked my bike up from the bike shop yesterday.  Tomorrow is supposed to be my "long" run from the half mary training program (4 miles), but I'm also wanting to get on that bike plus I didn't do my back and bicep lifting yet this week.  We'll see how it goes tomorrow....

It's a beautiful weekend here.  I'm trying to get enough energy to mow and do landscaping.  I should have never sat down!

Hope everyone else did well in their races/weekend training and that you all are having a great weekend!

2009-04-25 2:36 PM

User image

Regular
West Fargo
Had my long run today for the half marathon training. 9 miles. I was thinking of all of you running races today!!! It inspired me to keep on going! Hope you all did well, and can't wait to hear about them! My knee felt fine during the run. No problem at all. Hopefully it'll continue that route!
2009-04-25 8:04 PM

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts

Hi Girls,

Worked today and felt very tired when I got home.  Just played with the dogs.  Beautiful day here in the Berkshires. 85F. Taking a rest day today from running.  I am doing a strength-training/cardio DVD (90mins).  Tomorrow is my long run. I will be getting my training schedule from my tri- coach tomorrow after work, I am so excited.

2009-04-25 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
Subject: Supplements
I just had a conversation with someone that made me wonder, are any of you taking supplements/vitamins;and if so what are they?I have been mainly taking EFA's, a multi, green tea. Anyone else?

2009-04-26 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2110445

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
sahebb - 2009-04-25 8:04 PM

Hi Girls,

Worked today and felt very tired when I got home.  Just played with the dogs.  Beautiful day here in the Berkshires. 85F. Taking a rest day today from running.  I am doing a strength-training/cardio DVD (90mins).  Tomorrow is my long run. I will be getting my training schedule from my tri- coach tomorrow after work, I am so excited.

So you live in western MAss... I used to  live in Great Barrington and for a while down the road in West Cornwall CT. I still have family in Great Barrington... small world!

Hope your run goes well today!
2009-04-26 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Good morning ladies!

Finished my run for the day a bit over 4 mi, with a 10:00 average. Ran easy the first 2 miles (10:40 or so) and pushed it up a bit, about a 10K race pace (9:23), for the last two miles. It's good to get in a bit of speedwork when possible, but I still could do more.

I am in a challenge group and today I reached and surpassed my goal of 50 miles for the month. It's my second challenge and they are so much fun. I think you all should try one if you have not already. They are all different and you set the challenge numbers. I am doing a swim one for next month and may also do the multi sport one. You can find them on the "forums" page.

Hope every one has a great day!
2009-04-26 3:10 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Well I got out on the bike today..really for the first time.  (My bike has been in the shop getting fixed up and ready to ride Smile)  I think I went about 4.5 miles - I could feel my heart pumping and my legs working, and I was doing a pretty good pace for the most part - but didn't want to push too hard my first time out!  I was really lucky - cuz it was raining all morning, and it cleared up for a few hours and I got out!!

Also - I found these tri suits online today.  Anyone heard anything about them?  I posted a thread in the triathlon talk and someone said they are always on sale - and then there was the one piece vs. two piece discussion.. everyone else's thoughts?!?!
http://www.jamtrisuits.com/jam_trisuits.htm
2009-04-26 5:04 PM

User image

HI ladies-
Well, I survived and did well!  I was satisfied with my swim performance, and ECSTATIC about the bike - I went 14.1 mph average - MUCH FASTER than I thought.  Race report to follow as soon as I get official times.

Overall, a great day!  And I got a finisher medal to boot (still wearing it)....
Mary Sue
2009-04-26 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2111260

User image

Regular
West Fargo
myoun - 2009-04-26 5:04 PM

HI ladies-
Well, I survived and did well!  I was satisfied with my swim performance, and ECSTATIC about the bike - I went 14.1 mph average - MUCH FASTER than I thought.  Race report to follow as soon as I get official times.

Overall, a great day!  And I got a finisher medal to boot (still wearing it)....
Mary Sue

Awesome job!!! Reading this gets me excited about training for my first sprint in July! I'd be wearing that medal all day too!!!!

2009-04-26 6:44 PM

User image

Regular
West Fargo
I've got a question. Now that I'm in the last couple weeks of half marathon training, I thought I'd better take a look at the calendar for sprint training. After the HM date, there will only be 13 weeks left. So here are my thoughts:

The training times for the sprint seem awefully short (especially compared to the times I'm doing now). Will it be that on race day I'm barely going to be able to get across the line due to fatigue from not training enough?

Would it be alright to use the olympic training plan so that when it's sprint time I'll be better conditioned to endure the time and distance for the sprint race.

I don't want to overtrain, and put myself behind, but I like where I'm at now and don't want to slow down too much. The Olympic 16 week 2xbalanced looks do-able. But this isn't adding in time for any strength training. Should I be including this in my training as well?

Your thoughts? Could I start out with the olympic plan, but if it seems too much go to the sprint plan? I'm unsure of the best course of action; not to mention I'm finding new confidence in my abilities after this run training. I don't want to get too overconfident and set myself back, but I feel really good about how I've been able to push myself successfully.

HELP!
2009-04-26 7:08 PM

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
I posted a race report : http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

It went ok, I got stomach cramps but PR'd anyway LOL : 32:19

I also went out to try out my 'maybe new' bike WOW what a difference with my mountain bike, I was flying and not even trying LOL

I have a question though : my hands were hurting (palm). I figure I have to get use to the position and have to buy gloves? I also think I'm stretched out too much but I'm going to bring it to the bike shop tomorrow to get it checked out.

I'm tired, I'm going to bed
2009-04-26 8:06 PM

User image

2009-04-26 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2111583

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
myoun - 2009-04-26 8:06 PM OK, my race report is up -
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=156294

Enjoy!
Mary Sue

Congratulations on your race and being able to share it with someone close to you!
2009-04-26 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2111449

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
mekira - 2009-04-26 7:08 PM I posted a race report : http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... It went ok, I got stomach cramps but PR'd anyway LOL : 32:19 I also went out to try out my 'maybe new' bike WOW what a difference with my mountain bike, I was flying and not even trying LOL I have a question though : my hands were hurting (palm). I figure I have to get use to the position and have to buy gloves? I also think I'm stretched out too much but I'm going to bring it to the bike shop tomorrow to get it checked out. I'm tired, I'm going to bed

Great job today with the race, it sounds like you had a fun time!!

2009-04-26 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2111393

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts

Marysue congratulations !

2009-04-26 9:35 PM

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts

Patricia,

Congratulations on your PR.  Great job!!!!

2009-04-26 9:41 PM
in reply to: #2110864

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts

Hey Jen,

It is a small world.  I live about 30mins from Great Barrington.  I grew up in Pittsfield, and used to work in Stockbridge many years ago.  I still like going to GB.  It has some great restaurants.  I lived in St. Pete Florida for 18 years, then decided to move back because I missed the Berkshires.  I think I forgot how cold it gets here in the winter.  It was nice here otday though.

I worked today then met with my tri-coach and other members of our group.  It was just a meet and greet today.  Official training starts May 1st.  I got home too late to do a long run so I just did 3mi in the neighborhood.  Long run has been switched to weds.

2009-04-27 9:00 AM

User image

Good job to everyone who did a race this weekend!

My business is opening on Friday so I may not be able to keep up with the thread very well for a few weeks. I also work a full time software development job. I'll be trying my best to fit in my training, but unfortunately between my husband and myself we have to cover 9:45am-9:45pm almost every day("only" 8 hours on Sundays) until our college-age employee(s) are done with exams in mid-May. Then we go on vacation to Alaska for a week (a badly timed trip we had already paid for before things got rolling with the business), and hopefully after that we will get into a steady schedule that works for us.
Until then, I forsee a lot of late night and early morning runs for myself. If I can fit in one bike and one swim per week during May, I will be happy.

Sorry to vent on here, just a little overwhelmed. This is all stuff I've always wanted to do; I just didn't mean for them to all happen at once.  ;-)
2009-04-27 10:55 AM

User image

New user

Eugene, Oregon

mekira - 2009-04-26 5:08 PM I posted a race report : http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... It went ok, I got stomach cramps but PR'd anyway LOL : 32:19 I also went out to try out my 'maybe new' bike WOW what a difference with my mountain bike, I was flying and not even trying LOL I have a question though : my hands were hurting (palm). I figure I have to get use to the position and have to buy gloves? I also think I'm stretched out too much but I'm going to bring it to the bike shop tomorrow to get it checked out. I'm tired, I'm going to bed

Good Job PRing. And with stomach cramps no less.

Theresa

2009-04-27 1:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
Hey Ladies! What a busy, but great weekend! I PRed in all the events I swam and was surprised to medal in the 100IM! Woohoo!

I also met a 60 yo woman who was swimming every event in the sunday program, which totaled at least 1,000 yards of RACING! I watched her in the 400 IM (100 fly, 100 back, 100 breast, 100 free) and she looked as strong at the finish as she did at the start. Truely and inspriation. I want to be doing that at her age. But It also made my 4 events look measely!

Well I have an out of town friend in today so I will read some more posts later!
2009-04-27 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey ladies.  Just wanted to check in quick before I head home from work.  I'll be back tomorrow to catch up with everyone.  Today started out OK, but quickly went downhill and I am not really a happy camper right now (issues at my DH's job). Hopefully tomorrow will go better.

On one good note - I PR'd my 10k on SaturdaySmile.  The weather was not the best, but it was an OK run for me.  More details tomorrow!

Have a good night!
Janet 

2009-04-27 6:36 PM

User image

Regular
West Fargo
OMG. Today was the absolute hardest run I've ever done. I planned to run 5 miles outside today, because I've only run on the TM. Weather wasn't too bad. 43 degrees, cloudy, and a bit of wind. I suppose I should start off with mentioning that I only was able to get in 2 hours of sleep last night due to a terrible cough. I'd been coughing all morning as well. Maybe allergies, but maybe the start of a bug? I don't know. But I bet I walked half the distance. I just jogged until I had a hard time catching my breath, then walking until the breathing leveled out, then back to jogging. As I got towards the end I noticed that I had only been out an hour and with 5 miles planned and walking a bit maybe I forgot part of the run. I ended up adding .83 miles on when I didn't need to. Obviously not thinking clearly. anyway, finished up the run and was exhausted. I'm hoping that with the chest congestion, the lack of sleep, and a first time on the road run with some head winds, I can just chalk it up to serveral variables that will pan out quickly with continued road running. I was really discouraged during the run, and today was totally a mental challenge. I just hope to bounce back quickly. That race isn't that far off, and I can't afford time off running due to getting a bug!
2009-04-27 6:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
mekira - 2009-04-26 7:08 PM I posted a race report : http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... It went ok, I got stomach cramps but PR'd anyway LOL : 32:19 I also went out to try out my 'maybe new' bike WOW what a difference with my mountain bike, I was flying and not even trying LOL I have a question though : my hands were hurting (palm). I figure I have to get use to the position and have to buy gloves? I also think I'm stretched out too much but I'm going to bring it to the bike shop tomorrow to get it checked out. I'm tired, I'm going to bed

Congratulations on your pr.

I took my new road bike out last week and it was great but I had the same problem with my hands.  I picked up some cycling gloves and they helped a lot - however today I was out for longer (over an hour) and my fingers got numb from bad circulation from my hands pressing down so hard.  I'm going to google around and see if I can find any advice and maybe Lora can help us out, also

LadyNorth
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36