BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-05-30 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2070412

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)
Justin, you are the bomb.  I got the DVD in the mail and am looking forward to watching it.  I rode 3.5 hours and ran an hour today and my wife and I are heading out the door to a fundraiser for LiveSTRONG.  I'm riding three hours tomorrow. 

The last week was big for me.  I swam in open water for the first time in years.  Went well with the wet suit, the sighting was OK, too.  The suit is like cheating.  Extremely buoyant.

I got the Power Tap wheel back and used it for the first time today.  Got a bike fit too. The fit worked really well.  I rode with it more than 50 miles today and only minor back pain from my injury 35 years ago.  That will likely always be an issue.  

So all in all, great week. 

One week from the sprint triathlon, I'm on course.  WooHoo!
Ice

2009-05-30 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2183495

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)

IceManScott - 2009-05-30 7:12 PM Justin, you are the bomb.  I got the DVD in the mail and am looking forward to watching it.  I rode 3.5 hours and ran an hour today and my wife and I are heading out the door to a fundraiser for LiveSTRONG.  I'm riding three hours tomorrow. 

The last week was big for me.  I swam in open water for the first time in years.  Went well with the wet suit, the sighting was OK, too.  The suit is like cheating.  Extremely buoyant.

I got the Power Tap wheel back and used it for the first time today.  Got a bike fit too. The fit worked really well.  I rode with it more than 50 miles today and only minor back pain from my injury 35 years ago.  That will likely always be an issue.  

So all in all, great week. 

One week from the sprint triathlon, I'm on course.  WooHoo!
Ice

Great job Scott!  I just got my DVD too - thanks again Justin!

AND . . .  I crossed the 18mph threshold for the first time on a complete route!!

2009-05-31 6:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Awesome, you speed demon you!
2009-06-01 6:21 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
I viewed the TI video and I found it really interesting how the swimmers just glide through the water.  I don't have anyone to practice some of the partner drills with.  But I look forward to finding my sweet spot, focusing on core rotation, placing my arms lower, looking down more ect. 

Thanks again Justin!
2009-06-01 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2185590

User image

Veteran
Justin - I received my DVD and I'm so looking forward to watching it!  Thank you, thank you, thank you! I hope you all had an awesome weekend
2009-06-01 9:17 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!

Merry Monday morninig y'all!

I am really glad to read that everyone got their dvd's.  It is cool to see how effortless they make the swim look in the video.  After several months of practice, that is how I feel (and my times have drastically improved) in the water ~ thanks to the techniques I learned in the video.

I skipped my long ride I had planned on Sunday... The guys that were gonna do the 68 mile course all bailed on me... The other guys riding were going longer (80-100 miles) and I didn't want to go that distance or ride 30 miles alone on roads I hadn't ridden before.  I am sure I will regret not getting the ride in come the 28th... but ~ it is what it is I guess.

I spent the day doing some landscaping/yardwork... getting the yard/house all perfect (according to the wife) for the Graduation Party we are having for my son on Sunday.  She was much happier that I chose to do this instead of spend the morning riding... She promised not to interrupt any more training once we get this behind us.  IMFL is only 23 weeks away... and the a super tough HIM is only 4 weeks away...

I so need to find some focus! (unlike the lack of it I had this morning!) - some days I just can't wake the hell up... frustrating some times!   

2009-06-01 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2185872

Regular
Newport Beach

I liked Justin's idea to post monthly self-assesments and would be interested in reading yours if you have time to post.  Here's mine for May:

SBR:
I continue to see improvements in the water with each subsequent workout.  (I'm not sure why I ever stopped swimming in the first place.)  Running, which is my weakest, continues to improve as well.  I can comfortably go for 45 mins, which for me, is huge given that in Jan of this year I couldn't even do five mins. Plus, no pesky leg issues - stretching and icing with compression seem to be working well.  Increasing time in the saddle without much issue now that I've found a more comfortable seat.  Planning on demoing the ISM Adamo saddle which has been recommended.  Need to be more consistent with doing core (easy to dismiss when I'm tired) and to introduce some strength training.

Fitness:
Weightloss has been frustrating.  I was hoping to be at around 206 by now, but still clocking in at 212ish.  I've been reminded, however, by both Scott and my wife, that I need to focus more on fitness than weight at this point.  I would still like to reach 180ish range by Oct/Nov.  But, I'm no longer going to worry about the scale.  I know that if I keep eating right and working-out, it will come off.

Balance:
I started excersing due to health issues; triathlons for the personal challenge.  Balancing work/family/personal commitments (not necessarily in that order) is one component that has been especially difficult as of late.  Those commitments have also forced me to postpone some of the earlier races that I had intended participating in.  However, on reflection, I've decided to use the additional training time to push myself even further. I plan on doing at least a couple of sprint Tri's with OWS (one in Aug. and one in Oct.), but the "big one" will be a HIM in Nov.  That's five months away and I think I can ramp up comfortably by then.  If the HIM goes well (and the measure will be finishing without killing myself), then its IMFL in 2010.

As always, thanks to you all for your support.  Here's to a great June!

2009-06-01 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
You are right about the weight - do the right things and you will get the right results.  Your body has no choice but to cooperate.   I'm well down into the 36s now.  I actually can take off my jeans without unbuttoning or unzipping, a skill that I show off only to my wife and the cat. it shows continued weight loss.  

Monthly overview

Swimming - open water and the wet suit were my worries.  I've done both once.  Plan on a light 600 yard swim in open water Wednesday if the weather cooperates. 

Bike - real gains here.  Tested outdoors on the time trial course, 12.5 miles, at 270 watts and 19 plus mph in a 20 mile headwind half way.  My coach raised my full threshold power again as a result. I'm at 265.  Thats up from 225 in February.  I also got my bike fitted.  Very close to right.  Raced a couple of folks on Saturday over half of the triathlon course, 300 watts for 6.25 miles.  I kept up fine, finished as a group.  Gave up 30 years to both of them.

Run - Told Kathy I was going to "run" to the bike shop after a 53 mile ride on Saturday.  That's what I did.  I ran.  30 mins both ways with a 10 min. rest.  I could have run the entire thing, no problem.  After this Saturday, I have to work an hour-plus run in reoutinely and ramp up to 2 hours.

I'm feeling good.  

Hope you all have a great day and a great week. 

2009-06-01 11:17 AM

User image

Man if you are not inspired after reading the last two assessments... you may need to check your pulse (or lack there of!)  I am pumped reading the improvemnents that are being made!  IMFL 2010... JG ~ that is great that you are now in that kind of mindset!  It is that kind of deteremination that will allow you to be succesful in the coming months.  You keep going like you are now and Ironstar in November will be easier than you think!

Scott your biking is frickin' impressive!  I feel I am okay on the bike ~ and with those kind of numbers I would get dropped like a bad habit... Way to show us younger dudes that age is only a number!  Keep on crushin' it!  Awesome job on the balance too - great swims and RUN!

2009-06-01 11:31 AM

User image

This is painful, but I will share a little of the self assessment as well...

May - a month I would rather choose to forget!  It was littered with distratctions and missed opportunities.  I enjoyed a decent race and a sprinkling of good workouts.  My balance and consistency was way off.

SWIM = best effort and performance... I have really enjoyed some of my recent swims and love the open water in the wet suit.

BIKE = less then average this month to say the least.  When I did ride, it wasn't terrible...it's just that I should be stronger... and I am really lacking in the milage, especially with a HIM in 4 weeks.

RUN = this is my strong suit and even it was sub par.  I felt out of sync on many efforts.

I am looking to turn things around in June and really get thing rolling towards November.  No more excuses, and after today... no more missed opportunities!  F-O-C-U-S is the mantra for June!

Good luck to everyone this month!  Train smart ~ train safe ~ and have fun on the race course!
2009-06-01 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2186530

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Agreed - it's inspiring to be a part of this group.

For me?  Well, no running at all during May

But . . . the focus on swim/bike has really paid off, and I'm willing to bet the tradeoff works out in favor of overall improved s/b/r fitness, perhaps even more than if I had been adding running to the mix.

In looking at a ride from May 31st of last year, I averaged 14.67 mph over just 6.6 miles.  Yesterday (a year later) I maintained 18.2 mph over 30 miles.  I spent more time on the bike in May than any month in my history.

I swam more in May than the whole of 2008 or any year prior, and reduced my time per 100m from ~2:30 to 1:50, and I'm proud that I've been able to consistently get up 3x per week to go swimming.  Now to really start working on TI concepts (thanks again Justin!).

For June - I think I might once again try to start running.  I thought things were healing well, but while playing tennis (in retrospect not the smart thing to do) I felt my calf muscle twinge.  I'm hoping (praying) that comfortably-paced flatwork (as flat as I can find around here) will be possible to avoid re-injury.

Thanks again everyone for making up such a great group!

2009-06-01 6:17 PM

Freeland

Everybody is awesomne!

I had a rough month staying motivated and getting all my workouts in.  I really am finding it difficult to manage wife, kids, work and training all at once.   Not to mention i switch from days to nights every 2 weeks.  I think that is the toughest part becaue I can not sleep during the day.

I have done 2 5k's in may and swam 3 or 4 times. Not nearly enough I know.

June:  I have a sprint tri coming up on the 21st and I will finish no matter what.  I am going to try and get 2 swims a week in  and at least 2-4 runs and bike. A 5k the 6th and hopefully 1 more.

I read how everybody else is doing and I get the feeling like crap, I need to get my but in gear and I do.  I really do. 

You inspire me greatly. Keep up the good work.

2009-06-01 6:18 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
May was a good month for s, b, and r.  Running is my strength and I want to continue to work on LT and VO2 max. I will try to do a track workout once a week starting in mid June.  My swimming has improved for triathlons because I always raced short distances as a kid and never worked on pacing and endurance.  Now I am able to swim 2000 meters and will do my first ows in 12 days.  I plan to work on TI drills this month.  I love biking and I will give up a few runs to bike more in mid June.  Since I am a female biking alone, I don't feel comfortable going more than about 90 min. by myself so I will not increase the durations of my rides, just more riding workouts in place of running.

This group is wonderful and it is inspiring to read your accomplishments!  All of you rock and thank you for all of your feedback to my questions!
2009-06-02 6:50 AM
in reply to: #2187763

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Terps - have you thought about joining a local cycling club to help work in some longer rides?

I think I'll be joining up once the kids' soccer is over (I coach) and I get my Saturday mornings back.

2009-06-02 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sigh, May was not a great month at the end for me.  I missed almost a full weeks workout because of the roof and what I knew was going to be tough on my body.

The good news is I now have a properly fit bike and I am planning on making June a kickbutt month!!  I am going to ramp up all of my training for my July 18th 1st time Sprint tri.  Right now I feel as if I am not doing nearly enough training and I am worried I won't be ready.  I am not worried about finishing, that I will do no matter what, I just want to do well.  I guess I am too competitive and if I do something I need to finish well to not get down on myself.  Oh well, gotta train harder to make sure that doesn't happen.

Iceman, where do you open swim around here?  I am looking for a place to go.  Do you just go to Comalara park and go?  How do you know your distance?  Just curious.

BTW, you guys are such good motivators.  I read your posts and think "OK, get with Dewey!!!".  Keep posting!!

Dew
2009-06-02 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2188875

User image

Veteran

May 2009 Goals:

Log calories 6/7 days/week, 7 would be better. 33%

This area has truly been my Achilles heel and the scale disallows me from claiming it any other way!  I am still hovering in the 185 range.  I tend to be an all or nothing person, which is becoming abundantly apparent looking at my percentages, but in this case I'm going to go the gentle route.  By that, I mean I am going to a.) look at the positives, and b.) formulate a plan using what I've learned about myself in this area. So here it goes:

a.)  I have integrated fish (including fatty fish) into my family's diet at least 2X/week consistently for this entire month.  I have begun to eat avocado.  Both of these were suggested by runner magazine for runners who wish to lose weight.  Also, I did not score 0%...I tried.

b.)  New plan:  ANY tracking = one day of tracking.  Being conscious of what I eat is the real goal, so beginning the day with an eating plan each day will count as a day tracked.  The hope is that I will score 80% on this new goal next month.  So I'm easing up on the rigorous nature of the goal, but upping the expectation in terms of DAILY accountability.

Cardio 5X/week, 6 would be better. 104%

This is why it is so important to review our goals! I truly thought I was a "slacker" in this area...and would you look at that?  104% Yay!  My goal for next month will reflect his by upping to 6X/week with the hope of 80%+ completion.

Strength 2X/week, 3 would be better. 88%

Using Maya and Wii Fit Coach has really helped here.  My arms are feeling a lot more solid and my core is pretty happy as well.  I felt the benefit of this training when I was swimming recently.  I felt like a shark cutting through the water with my magically strong abs...well....they are in there...just a little buried

Complete 80% of planned training. 44%

Hmmm...this is hard! Yes, I'm whining.  I'll try harder next month   I think the 6X/week frequency goal will help.  Also, I'm with dewcubs in the freaking out about the upcoming race category.  I have been squirming and wondering how to get out of it...I think that's when we need them (races) the most!

Compete in my first triathlon. 200% !!!

How easily I forget my successes!  This was NOT very long ago...and I need to remember that.  I am proud of myself for becoming a Triathlete!!

June 2009 Goals:

Log calories EVERYDAY

Cardio 6x/week

Strength 2X/week

Complete 80% of planned training

Compete in first Open Water Swim triathlon (7/21/2009)

2009-06-02 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Hmmm....I printed out the group's goals, etc. so I could read them a bit more easily (with a migraine!) and I see that I am missing specific goals in the areas of s,b,r.  So, I'm going to modify my planned training a bit with sub-goals:

June 2009 Goals:

Log calories EVERYDAY

Cardio 6x/week

Strength 2X/week

Complete 80% of planned training

s: Swim 2000 Yards at least 2x/Week

b: Work up to 1 hour rides with 16mph average

r: This is the month to get up to 9 miles!

Compete in first Open Water Swim triathlon (7/21/2009)

2009-06-02 1:09 PM

User image

Master
MAY ASSESSMENT

Like some in the group have conveyed, May was very challenging.  Between dealing with personal family issues, coaching my 6 year olds soccer team, and the continued pressure from a cratering economy in SE Michigan (some would say, "What economy?") my training was not everything it could or should have been.  That being said, with the exception of swimming (1/3 of the pie...I know) my volume was up in biking and running.

May's totals:
Bike:9h 55m  - 163.3 Mi
Run:6h 37m 57s  - 46.69 Mi
Swim:3h 39m 14s  - 8700 M

April's totals:
Bike:6h 41m 45s  - 108.72 Mi
Run:5h 26m 54s  - 37.05 Mi
Swim:5h 32m  - 11800 M

While I had higher volume aspirations, I do feel that I am seeing improvements in all areas.  I did complete a 500M time trial in swimming and swam it faster than I ever have...purely the result of better technique.  I am seeing real gains in running and I suspect if I tested myself I would see the same gains in biking.

I believe the difference with regard to biking and running is that last year I focused almost exclusively on building a base.  If I remember correctly Friel recommends a focus on building a base during your 1st full season.  This year I have been incorporating more speed and power workouts into my biking and running. 

JUNE GOALS

To the point...increase in volume coupled with greater quality of workouts.  I would really like to get closer to 3 workouts per discipline per week.  Additionally, I have a Sprint Tri scheduled for June 21.  I am very curious as to how I will do as I do not feel I have focused like I would like to on the training this Spring....we will see!

Edited by dangremond 2009-06-02 1:10 PM
2009-06-02 10:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
You guys rock.  I mean it.  Too many to mention but Jeff, what an improvement on the bike.  Grace, what an animal!  You are doing great.  Remember, muscle is heavier than fat so there may be a big change in fitness with little or no weight loss at times.  Just stick with doing the right things and you will get the right results.  I log exercise info here but I log exercise and every meal I eat for my coach at Trainingpeaks.com.  It's free and it only takes a little while to get onto to it.  Even using a plain notebook will work wonders.  But write down everything.  And drink the water.  I know it seems like a lot at first, but it works.  

The rest of you, geez, I'm so in awe of the work that you put out.  I wish I could run like you guys, but hey, I run like I run and I can do 90 minutes now without dying.  I want to work up to 13 miles by the end of the year.  

The bike is going great.  I did the time trial course with the gang again tonight.  My coach was there.  I hammered it at 279 watts over about 35 mins.  Unofficial time of 21 mph plus. It was great fun.  My rear derailleur was off a quarter turn so I had to pedal slower up a few hills than I wanted and that hurt, but I didn't blow up.  I was sailing with some of the fast guys in the end.  My coach took 10 miles to catch me and pass me (We start staggered every 15 seconds.  I started 6th, he was last of about 25 so I had a head start.Laughing

Wednesday night is my final workout before the sprint tri on Saturday.  I'm going for one more open water swim workout to get used to my wet suit a little more and the dark water. 

Then Thursday, I gather stuff and set up a transition area at home here for practice.  Friday, I help the club set up the race site.  Saturday I kick some butt!  Actually, my goal is to do my best in each part and keep my eyes open and record everything I see to help me.  That's why you do a first one...so the second is better...and the third...

I love this stuff!  Don't you? 

Edited by IceManScott 2009-06-03 7:08 AM
2009-06-03 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

Does anyone know what you put in the T1 area for washing off sand & dirt from the open water swim?  Also, do you put the wetsuit in a bag with the transition items before the race to take with you to the start?  Thanks team!

2009-06-03 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2192108

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Take an extra water bottle to squirt the feetsies and a towel (to layout and stand on while transitioning).

And yeah, just be careful not to do anything to tear the wetsuit (maybe its own bag?), but you're right to not put it on until shortly before start, so you won't over heat.

And that's two people racing this weekend!  Good luck Terps and Iceman!  Anyone else?

2009-06-03 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2192108

User image

I have a transition bag (a back pack that holds all my gear)... It is not a Tri specific back pack.  They are too much money... just a larger backpack.  Some TA's are a good distance from parking, so you can ride the bike over to it, and a backpack is easier on the bike.

Once you set up transition, you can hang your wetsuit over your bike and then grab it and put it on just before you leave and head to the swim (warm-up).  I don't rinse my feet typically ~ but I race sockless (don't worry about putting socks on wet feet).  I do have a mat down and a hand towel on it for wipe downs if needed.  TA's are typically pretty packed.

There might/should be a rinse/wash on the run from the OWS to TA that you can run through ~ that usually helps get the majority off of ya.  Once you pull off the wetsuit, you can throw it on the ground beneath your bike, or if there is room - hang it over the bike rack.

I hope that is what you were looking for.  Good luck!

Edited by Trin2bfast 2009-06-03 12:53 PM
2009-06-03 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2192281

User image

roch1009 - 2009-06-03 12:51 PM

Take an extra water bottle to squirt the feetsies and a towel (to layout and stand on while transitioning).

And yeah, just be careful not to do anything to tear the wetsuit (maybe its own bag?), but you're right to not put it on until shortly before start, so you won't over heat.

And that's two people racing this weekend!  Good luck Terps and Iceman!  Anyone else?

Great recommendation Jeff!

Go Scott & Linda!  I am racing a Sprint Tri, but only as a relay... doing the run leg.  Shooting for the fastest 3 miler since I was 19 years old!  Woooo Hooooo!
Our relay team is super strong... the swimmer was first out of the water overall last year (won AG) and the cyclist is looking at a 24-25mph avg for the 12mile course... then there is me (I just hope I can bring it home).  We are set to win the overall Relay category... Tri-juggernauts is our team name!

My oldest son Graduates High School this Saturday too... Holy Sheeeeooot!  Race Sunday morning and then a big party to celebrate the Grad on Sunday afternoon.  Good Times!
To all with young ones... don't blink, cause they will be 18 and graduating before you realize what is happening!!!

Edited by Trin2bfast 2009-06-03 1:02 PM
2009-06-03 3:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Okay - wish me luck.  I think I'm going to head out to the high school track to try a slow run and test out the calf.

(first time running in 8 weeks)

2009-06-03 4:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Easy does it!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  

of 28