Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2010-01-18 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2556282

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Ken D's Group - Shut
Can anyone give me some insight on bike trainers?  I almost asked for one for Christmas but I changed my mind and asked for P90X.  I have a decent amount of gift cards for Dicks from my birthday and Christmas.  I am sure they are not the greatest of quality but it is something.  How much room do I need?  The treadmill is in the corner of the basement but I don't want to leave my bike set up in the middle of the basement.  We are down there too much with the kids.  Is it something I can set up and take down easily?  If it is too much involved to set it up, I won't use it that much.  We have a decent size storage area in the basement.  It is the full length of the basement and a few feet wide.  It won't be the greatest of areas to bike but I think it would work.  I would be able to leave my bike set up. 

2010-01-18 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I guess I have always done perceived exertion (Rate of Perceived Exertion - RPE), but never really quantified it.  Just went out and ran/biked/swam and pushed as hard as I could that day (this is probably the exact reason I would burn out so much and not be consistent with my training).  Some days I felt stronger than others.  But now I have a HR monitor and will be analyzing it in hopes of using the HR zone training more this year.  I don't want to abandon the RPE method as I think there is a place for both.  That being said, I think RPE can vary depending on my mood, health, eating habits, how much sleep I got, etc, so it doesn't seem to be as consistent as HR can be. 
2010-01-18 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2619435

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I've only ever had one trainer so I can't really compare to others, but I did a lot of research and went with the 1up USA trainer (it has won the best trainer from mountainbikereview.com and roadbikereview.com for 7yrs in a row).  It is only sold directly from them.  I have loved it.  It is made in USA and has a full lifetime warranty.  Very simple to use and only takes a min to get the bike in/out. 

Looking at the Dicks website, it doesn't look like they have much to choose from.  Have heard good things about the Kurt Kenetic trainers (they sell one model).  The CycleOps trainers seem to get the most press but the reviews seem to be pretty mixed. 

Mrschach - 2010-01-18 9:41 AM Can anyone give me some insight on bike trainers?  I almost asked for one for Christmas but I changed my mind and asked for P90X.  I have a decent amount of gift cards for Dicks from my birthday and Christmas.  I am sure they are not the greatest of quality but it is something.  How much room do I need?  The treadmill is in the corner of the basement but I don't want to leave my bike set up in the middle of the basement.  We are down there too much with the kids.  Is it something I can set up and take down easily?  If it is too much involved to set it up, I won't use it that much.  We have a decent size storage area in the basement.  It is the full length of the basement and a few feet wide.  It won't be the greatest of areas to bike but I think it would work.  I would be able to leave my bike set up. 
2010-01-18 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Yeah, I did see Dicks does not have much but I figured it is probably better than nothing.  I really don't want to spend a ton of money right now especially with buying the orthotics.  I will check out the ones you listed though.
2010-01-18 11:03 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
I've had the Blackburn Mag trainer and I currently have the Kurt Kinetic Road machine.  I love the KK.  It's a fluid trainer and therefore quieter than the Magnetic or Wind.  Very solid construction for both the stand and the resistance unit.  The fluid impeller is magnetically coupled to the fly wheel so it will not leak.  The 6lb flywheel gives it a much better road feel than the Blackburn I had.

As for space - it sticks out from the sides of my rear tire about 18" and from the rear about 4".
2010-01-18 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2619353

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
KenD - 2010-01-18 6:59 AM Question for the week - when you're swimming, biking, running how do you determine your intensity level?  Perceived exertion?  Heart Rate monitor?  Power meter? 

For Biking and running, I use a HR monitor and/or RPE when I forget to wear my monitor, for swimming RPE only.

I have an extra heartbeat, so working out my heartrate zones is a bit tricky, right now I'm just using the standard 220 - age calculation to determine my heartrate zones and then use RPE to see how in line I am with the HR monitor. 

2010-01-18 2:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2010-01-18 7:41 AM Can anyone give me some insight on bike trainers?  I almost asked for one for Christmas but I changed my mind and asked for P90X.  I have a decent amount of gift cards for Dicks from my birthday and Christmas.  I am sure they are not the greatest of quality but it is something.  How much room do I need?  The treadmill is in the corner of the basement but I don't want to leave my bike set up in the middle of the basement.  We are down there too much with the kids.  Is it something I can set up and take down easily?  If it is too much involved to set it up, I won't use it that much.  We have a decent size storage area in the basement.  It is the full length of the basement and a few feet wide.  It won't be the greatest of areas to bike but I think it would work.  I would be able to leave my bike set up. 

I have the cycleOps fluid trainer, it is very quiet, real easy to set up and put away if needed and really doesn't take up much room at all.
2010-01-18 3:02 PM

User image

Louisville, Kentucky
Bike trainers.

I agree with Ken.  I've only owned one trainer and it was a Kurt.  I didn't have the heavier flywheel...and it worked like a dream.  I can see where the heavier flywheel would simulate coasting a bit more realistically. 

I've since sold mine, as it never got used since I ride outdoors all year round now.

I bought the Kurt because it was the sturdiest and best made at the time.  I'm sure other manufacturers make fine trainers, but I don't think you can go wrong with a Kurt.  

I can recall not enjoying putting mine up and taking it down all the time.  It wasn't THAT big of a deal, but my bikes are huge and you have to line up the rear end and screw it down tight, blah blah blah.  2 minutes for put up and 2 minutes for take down. Big deal.  

Another question to consider is how loud they are.  Mine (older generation Kurt) was pretty stinkin' loud.  Had to turn up the TV pretty loud.  That might be an issue for some people.  

Oh, and don't forget your front wheel riser platform.

2010-01-18 5:26 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
HR question for those that monitor it...

I have noticed that within the first several minutes of my runs my HR shoots up to around 170-173 (but I don't even notice it until later when I look at the details) but then comes back down into normal range within another min or so.  This tends to be my max HR of the entire run.  When I leave my house I pretty much have to run uphill but it is a gradual one and I am not pushing that hard (I am not even breathing hard).  Could this just be a glitch?  Could it possibly be picking up footsteps and counting those along with the HR?  I am typically wearing the HR monitor for 5-10min before my run while I am stretching just to make sure it is working right.  If it is really happening, how good for my heart can this be?  Going from 70-80 HR to 170+ in a matter of minutes, and then does that put me in a hole the rest of my run b/c I am starting off too high? 

Sorry for all the questions, but it is starting to bother me. 
2010-01-18 5:30 PM
in reply to: #2620413

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
chichitao - 2010-01-18 5:26 PM HR question for those that monitor it...

I have noticed that within the first several minutes of my runs my HR shoots up to around 170-173 (but I don't even notice it until later when I look at the details) but then comes back down into normal range within another min or so.  This tends to be my max HR of the entire run.  When I leave my house I pretty much have to run uphill but it is a gradual one and I am not pushing that hard (I am not even breathing hard).  Could this just be a glitch?  Could it possibly be picking up footsteps and counting those along with the HR?  I am typically wearing the HR monitor for 5-10min before my run while I am stretching just to make sure it is working right.  If it is really happening, how good for my heart can this be?  Going from 70-80 HR to 170+ in a matter of minutes, and then does that put me in a hole the rest of my run b/c I am starting off too high? 

Sorry for all the questions, but it is starting to bother me. 

I'd guess it's not reality.  Next time you go run, manually check your HR every 5 minutes for the 1st 20 minutes or so.

It could be the strap is not reading correctly due to lack of moisture or maybe power line interference.
2010-01-19 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

I love that you all check my logs daily!  Makes me not want to skip a day!!!

So I bought a trainer today.  I called Dicks last night to see what they carried in the store.  I bought the Cycleops Mag

http://www.trisports.com/cymatr1.html

I checked out the gear reviews here and a bunch of other ones online.  It got pretty good reviews.  I am not too worried about the noise level of the mag.  I workout in the basement and don't really watch tv or anything.  We have a projector and screen down there and I refuse to waste the bulb life for me to just run. 

I even stopped at my house and left it in the garage.  I am hoping my husband sees it and tries to set it up for me before I get home!

2010-01-19 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Have fun with the new trainer!!
2010-01-20 7:57 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Good morning everyone!

I ran a track workout last night.  Ugh.  I really need to work on my pacing.  The track was lit on one side so there I could see my HR monitor.  On the curves and the other side I couldn't see my HR.  Just going by feel.

Fun workout but painful.  The kids enjoyed it too.  I brought an extra stop watch along and they took turns timing me.  The rest of the time they were running & playing.
2010-01-20 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Ugh is right on those track workouts...way to get it done.  I just have a hard time getting motivated to do those, but since I am trying to get faster this year I really need to do more of them.   I live within 3mi of two different tracks so I really have no excuse.  I want to start bike riding to the tracks to do the runs.
2010-01-20 9:39 AM

User image

Louisville, Kentucky

Can I ask everyone to comment on rhythm? 

Mine, after 3 months, has been badly interrupted.  The weight is still falling, but I definitely feel disconnected from my efforts.  I'm not "mainlined into it" like I have been.  Work, family schedules, birthdays, yakedy schmakedy.

Does everyone else rely on rhythm?  How does is affect your mood, your workouts, your body...and how do you cope?  Are some able to just jump to a new rhythm right away or do you have trouble coping as I do?

Anyway, the future is starting to clear up a bit in terms of schedule and I'm seeing more clearly how my goals will fit into the big picture of my family's life.

Can't wait to swim today over lunch.

2010-01-20 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2623572

User image

Louisville, Kentucky
KenD - 2010-01-20 8:57 AM Good morning everyone!

I ran a track workout last night.  Ugh.  I really need to work on my pacing.  The track was lit on one side so there I could see my HR monitor.  On the curves and the other side I couldn't see my HR.  Just going by feel.

Fun workout but painful.  The kids enjoyed it too.  I brought an extra stop watch along and they took turns timing me.  The rest of the time they were running & playing.

Nice.  I've yet to actually run outside.  Wondering how it will differ from my treadmill runs...

2010-01-20 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2623869

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
bassandbike - 2010-01-20 9:39 AM

Mine, after 3 months, has been badly interrupted.  The weight is still falling, but I definitely feel disconnected from my efforts.  I'm not "mainlined into it" like I have been.  Work, family schedules, birthdays, yakedy schmakedy.

Does everyone else rely on rhythm?  How does is affect your mood, your workouts, your body...and how do you cope?  Are some able to just jump to a new rhythm right away or do you have trouble coping as I do?

Anyway, the future is starting to clear up a bit in terms of schedule and I'm seeing more clearly how my goals will fit into the big picture of my family's life.

It's been difficult for me to integrate my runs back into the workouts.  I didn't run much over the holidays and disrupted my rhythm. 

For me to overcome bumps like this, I set a goal for the week and vocalize it (usually to my wife).  Once I do that, I have a good success rate of getting back on track.
2010-01-20 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
bassandbike - 2010-01-20 7:39 AM

I'm going to say that what you are experiencing is normal, at least to me.  There are definately peaks and valleys when it comes to training and the goal of weightloss and managing work, family and yes even some "me" time.  The rhythm can be lost very easily if you allow  too much time in a valley.  I'm having a hard time finding the rhythm this month and finding time to do everything that needs doing, from walking the dog to planning bootcamp classes to spending time with the family.  Knowing I have to up my swim time and struggling to find a place to fit it in.  I have to work on planning my meals better, right now I am sometimes not getting dinner until 9pm at night and that is not optimal.  I'm fairly certain my crappy run yesterday was due partly to the fact that my tank was empty.

That being said, how do I keep my rythm?  Sometimes I don't, but I keep going anyway and eventually the rhythm finds me again.  Sometimes a week off is needed, if you actually schedule it and tell yourself I am not going to do any workouts for a set amount of days, I then look forward to the day I can do a workout, like it is a treat.  Sometimes my family will help me keep my rhythm.  This April it will have been 2 years that I have started my weighloss/fitness journey, 104lbs lost and still have a few pounds to go to be at my optimal weight.  I just have to look at an older picture of myself and that will get me back on track. 

I find that outside motivation helps a lot, that is why I jumped at the chance to be in a mentor group, more people in my life to help me stay on track.  I joined a tri-club this past weekend, I am doing a 1/2 marathon clinic and my bootcamp classes, these are all places I am going to find like minded people that want to see me succeed.  Look around your community for clubs and resources that will put you in contact with people that have similar goals.  Your LBS will probably have some sort of club that has group rides on the weekend and early enough usually so that you still have time to spend with your family.
2010-01-20 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2624026

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
corstan - 2010-01-20 10:38 AM
I find that outside motivation helps a lot, that is why I jumped at the chance to be in a mentor group, more people in my life to help me stay on track.  I joined a tri-club this past weekend, I am doing a 1/2 marathon clinic and my bootcamp classes, these are all places I am going to find like minded people that want to see me succeed.  Look around your community for clubs and resources that will put you in contact with people that have similar goals.  Your LBS will probably have some sort of club that has group rides on the weekend and early enough usually so that you still have time to spend with your family.

Good points.  I know others are looking at my logs and this motivates me.  I'm also in a tri-club and is a great motivator.
2010-01-20 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2623874

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
bassandbike - 2010-01-20 7:40 AM
KenD - 2010-01-20 8:57 AM Good morning everyone!

Nice.  I've yet to actually run outside.  Wondering how it will differ from my treadmill runs....

It is a huge difference from running on the treadmill, the road has no give or bounce, trails have a little, but they also have rougher terrain, so you are incorporating more agility and then there is the wind factor. They say to most accurately to simulate outdoor running on your treadmill is to always have it at a minimum of 1 - 2.5% grade,   I have spent the last several months only doing treadmill runs because of my shins and just started back on road/trails the beginning of January.  On the down side, my legs definately feel the run more, there are more hills and gradual upward grades than I incorporated on my treadmill runs, but on the upside, it feels great to be outside, my legs are getting stronger, you get to go down hills and down gradual downward grades, and if you run with others you may end up pushing yourself more than you would at home alone on your treadmill.   

Edited by corstan 2010-01-20 11:29 AM
2010-01-20 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
bassandbike - 2010-01-20 9:39 AM

When life gets in the way of training for me, I definitely feel it.  I feel it physically but so much more mentally and emotionally.  I NEED to workout, but especially run.  I had some minor Post Partum Depression (ppd) after having my three year old.  We did not recognize what it really was until he was about 6 months old.  I started hitting the gym more and it helped.  I wanted to go that route before meds.  I ended up pregnant again a few months later so never went to the doctors.  PPD hit me HARD after having Logan, now 18 months old.  It has been a rough road but I am getting there.  I can tell a difference in my mood and my disposition if I am not working out for a few days.  There has been days where my husband has sent me to the treadmill because he knows that is the only thing that will really help me!

So, I try not to let anything interfere with my rhythm.  People ask me how I run at 8:30 pm and my answer is because I have to.  My husband has seen me at my lowest of the ppd and he understands how much running and working out in general helps me and how much I need it.  I have triathlon goals but my main goal right now is to be the best mom I can be.  I know the 2 kinda go hand in hand because of the way I can treat my ppd.

2010-01-20 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Rhythm is very fickle for me and is closely related to my energy level.  There are just some days I don't feel like doing anything...and sometimes I don't.  I have discovered that sometimes that is just my bodies way of telling me it is exhausted!  Now, trying to determine between being tired and just being lazy...that's when it gets difficult for me.  For example, this past weekend I only worked out 1 day out of 4, but the key was to get back into that "rhythm" as soon as I could.  Once I got back out and did something on Monday I am now back on a roll and feeling better than ever.  Even on the days I don't do anything, I try to be as good as possible with my eating (but it doesn't always happen), but I am trying to learn not to get down on myself for missing a workout or eating a bad meal...just pick yourself up and continue.  I used to get down on myself after being lazy for a few days and I would let it consume me and I would snowball into a totally bad routine...2 weeks later I am out of shape and eating badly.  I am trying to be much more even keeled and not have so many highs and lows, but just keep it steady.

Plus, I think being so far out from races...this is why this time of year has always been the most difficult and why I signed up for this mentor group.  Once it starts getting closer to your races that motivation really comes around. 
2010-01-21 6:40 AM

User image

Louisville, Kentucky
Great feedback on rhythm and coping!  Thank you so much for responding .... and thereby giving me the dose of reality I needed.  Everyone struggles, everyone is finding time. Everyone is making the best effort they can.

Excellent.

Swimming again today.
2010-01-21 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2625750

User image

Expert
South Jersey
bassandbike - 2010-01-21 6:40 AM Great feedback on rhythm and coping!  Thank you so much for responding .... and thereby giving me the dose of reality I needed.  Everyone struggles, everyone is finding time. Everyone is making the best effort they can.

Excellent.

Swimming again today.

And that is what I struggle with.  Some days my run is 1.5 miles and I am discouraged by it but it is better than nothing. 
2010-01-21 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Ok, I am posting this here b/c I want the pressure of everyone knowing my workout today in the hopes of helping me stick to it.  I am off work tomorrow so I have the tendency to get home (today) and then just decompress from the week and not feel like working out.  Gotta do it, so here goes...

Ride my bike to a local track, do a track/speed workout, then ride back. 

It is 4mi each way to the track so I'll use that as most of my warmup and cooldown.  Not sure the plan at the track yet.

Maybe easy 800, very hard 1x400, recover 200, hard 1x800, recover 200, very hard 1x400, easy 800? 

That is 2.25mi of running (1mi of sprints) and 8mi on the bike.  Can't run for too long as I don't want it to be dark by the time I have to ride home. 

Any thoughts or better ideas on that workout?  Don't want to go over 30min max at the track

Edited by chichitao 2010-01-21 2:30 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken D's Group - Shut Rss Feed  

of 28