2010-03-17 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2731622

User image

Veteran
Central Point
Subject: RE: Scottt's Group - Closed
Scottt - 2010-03-17 10:56 AM

Well........how's the bike???

For the short (very short) time I was on it I love it. The bike really feels good. While we were at the shop we started looking for a bike for my wife and we forgot to check tire pressure. When I got home I hoped on made the turn at the bottom of the driveway and felt the tire roll a little. I turned around went back into the garage and discovered the low tire. Of course I don't have anything for presta valves so its back to the shop tonight to get either an adapter for my compressor and a pump. I need to get other accessories for the bike too like tire tools etc. The wife's bike will be ready by this weekend. She ended up getting a Trek 1.2 wsd. So hopefully I'll be rideing to work tomorrow morning. I can't believe how much power it felt like it had. It feels fast we'll see once I really get it on the road.
2010-03-17 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2558214

Happy Birthday!! & what a great present for yourself!!

In general, its nice to see the everyone's logs are going up as the weather is getting better!

not much going here other than moving to new apt. Me & gf painted.

living room

bedroom

2010-03-18 11:59 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Hi everyone!  Hope you are all doing well!

That's some fancy paint job Jordan!  I'm impressed!

I thought today was Wednesday...doh!  So woo hoo - the weekend is closer than I thought!  We're having sunny days and 15 degree weather.  Hoping it'll stick for the weekend as I want to get some nice runs in .  What's on the plan for everyone else?  Is everyone now working off a training plan?  When is the first sprint planned for?  I'm thinking triathlon season is right around the corner!

Question - how many people own their own wetsuit vs buying? 
2010-03-18 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2733664

User image

Veteran
Central Point
kimmax - 2010-03-18 9:59 AM Hi everyone!  Hope you are all doing well!

That's some fancy paint job Jordan!  I'm impressed!

I thought today was Wednesday...doh!  So woo hoo - the weekend is closer than I thought!  We're having sunny days and 15 degree weather.  Hoping it'll stick for the weekend as I want to get some nice runs in .  What's on the plan for everyone else?  Is everyone now working off a training plan?  When is the first sprint planned for?  I'm thinking triathlon season is right around the corner!

Question - how many people own their own wetsuit vs buying? 

I agree Jordan cool design.

This weekend the granddaughter will be in town so I plan on spoiling her as much as possible. I'm going to try and get to cycle class Saturday morning and the to the bike shop to pick up Kathy's (my wife) bike. I also need to get some bike goodies ie: frame pump, spare tube, bag to put it in, lights (its still real dark in the morning and I want to ride to work)... Sunday I hope to do a short ride.
2010-03-18 2:05 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
I sooooo didnt want to run today.  I'am feeling a little tired but the thought of an open spot on the training log got the best of me.  I went out for a two mile run and Im glad the lazy side of me lost today.

I took tommorrow off from work to have a long swim and a bike ride.  It is supposed to be almost 70 tommorow and I didnt want to be at work and miss a bike ride this weekend.  This weekend there is a chance of snow flurries......driving me nuts.

Jordan that is a awesome paint job......you want to come to Illinois and help me paint?  lol.  

marcia, I dont own a wet suit yet.  I plan on renting a suit from a local tri shop in St.Louis.

I hope everybody has a good day!!

2010-03-18 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Well done Shawn!  Now you can bask in your glory until the next hole in the training log looms in front of you.

Edited by Scottt 2010-03-18 6:24 PM
2010-03-19 9:44 PM

User image

Regular
Salem

It was a great day here today.  The sun was shining and it was almost 70 degrees. 

Today was the first time I have rode my tri bike!  All I have to say is WOW!  I was a little concerned about riding in the tri position/aero bars. I began the ride with my wife and youngest child riding along with me.  I then began a slow cadence and I then looked back and did not see my wife and child.  I rode back to where they were standing and my wife said "you better go on your own".  Have to say " I love my wife"!  I then set off and began a slow ride and I found myself going faster and faster.  I set off to just get used to the aero position but I kept riding.  I then saw that the sun was beginning to set and I decided I needed to get home before dark.  I arrived home and I could not stop talking about my bike.  I felt like a little boy with a new toy....lol.  All I can say is that I'am looking forward to the next ride and thinking how wonderful my wife is.  My wife has stood by me through all the tri talk, large and small tri buying sprees....I have found out that it is not a cheap endeavor.....my wife will tell ya..lol.

I also purchased a CatEyes Strada double wireless computer today and it worked great.

Here is my new bike that I got from my wife for Christmas.

(031910.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
031910.jpg (26KB - 20 downloads)
2010-03-20 11:02 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Nice bike!  er... family! Wink

It's great to have a supportive partner.  When I first started I took my hubby's mountain bike and jazzed it up with thin slicks etc and rode it for 3 mini triathlons.  By the last one my hubby said it was "painfully embarrassing" to watch me peddle my little heart out only to be passed by everyone else.  I came in dead last doing 20.8km/hr and the average was 25+ so.... For Christmas he bought me a Trek Madone 4.5 WSD.  It's so pretty - he even got me a matching helmet.  I feel so fast on it.  He can't swim, doesn't run or cycle and yet listens to me babble on and on, gets up at crazy hours to go watch me participate - cheering loudly - and he watches my daughter when he can to help me with the training.  I'm a very lucky girl to have him in my life - and not just for the tri stuff ha ha  But it does make you appreciate them more when they are so supportive of you as you change over the years.

Went for a nice long run today and felt pretty good.  I have a bad habit of sprinting from the start and crawling across the finish.  Need to work on my pacing and force myself to go at a steady pace.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!

2010-03-22 9:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Point
Nice Bike Shawn, sounds like you had a great weekend.

Marcia, it sounds like you had a good weekend too.

I got to spoil my granddaughter this past weekend and visit with my sister that is up from Phoenix.
Sunday we picked up a new bike for my wife and some lights and other misc. goodies for my bike. we went for a little spin around the neighborhood yesterday afternoon. It was a little cloudy and had a stray raindrop here and there but it was nice.

This morning I rode into work for the first time. the lights worked well. I need to some gloves it was 45*F a little cool on the hands but everything else was fine. Its a short 2.5mi ride in and took maybe 8 min. or so. I think the ride home is farther depending on the weather. Smile
2010-03-22 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Very nice Shawn!  Have fun.  It's great to be fired up about riding more.

2010-03-22 6:27 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
I have been out all afternoon looking for a smooth place to ride.  The roads here have been beat up through out the winter and they are rough.  I'am looking at riding on some of the side highways and country roads.  I think I have found a loop that is about 30 miles long and that may work..but there is limited cell coverage in some of the areas.

Im curious....where do does everybody ride.  Does your area have bike paths/roads or just ride on the highways?

The road I have found is in the country and  seems to be somwhat...smooth.  I guess I will just have to make do with what I can find.  I hate the idea of having to drive to an area that is smooth and less traveled to ride the bike.

2010-03-22 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Shawn,

Since I live in an area much different than your's, I seek out lonely roads with good pavement.  Unfortunately, too much of my riding is on highly traveled roads.  The good side is some of them have a dedicated "bike lane", though it may be quite narrow or non-existent in some areas.  I also hear you on the cellular coverage issue, as riding solo, the safety factor must always be in the back of your head.

Ideally, you find someone of similar ability/goals who likes to ride smooth untravelled roads with you.  Then you have the safety of numbers and the good roads.

As anyone who has done the bike course(s) at Wildflower knows...rough roads can fatigue you quicker than you would ever think!

2010-03-22 7:38 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
I haven't had the best of luck on my bike.  I used to stick to the trails but two summers ago I went the wrong way over an unseen tree trunk and had a big fall.  Fortunately just some road rash.  Then last summer I decided "no more trail riding" and got my tire stuck in a streetcar track and tipped over - collapsing a lung, broke a rib and a small fracture in my elbow !!??  Thank God for helmets!!  Needless to say I'm skittish.  It's not that the roads are all that bad - but the drivers are insane. 

When I want a longish ride I jump on the highway and drive north to this conservation area - park my car - and ride the country roads.  There are some good hills and the roads aren't too bad.  If I were to fall or something I'd be screwed though as there is nothing around and we're a one car family

There's a cycling club here in Toronto that I'm thinking of joining for longer rides - apparently they can be poky and take lots of breaks so we'll see.  Any chance of finding a local tri club you can ride with?  Is there a forum for Illinois where you can meet some other local BT folks?  Just some thoughts.  Glad to hear everyone is on a bike-happy-high!
2010-03-22 7:54 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
Marcia,

There are a few tri clubs but they are about 60 miles form me....they are located in the metro area of St.Louis.  I have been looking into those but I would not be able to make a lot of there rides.  I live in a rural area and would hate to drive 60 miles for a bike ride..not to mention that would keep me away from the family more. 

There are a few rides that I could ride that is close to a conservation area.  I located the road today and I think that is where Iam going to try tommorow.  The road is somewhat smooth and should not be to bad of a ride.  The streets in town are too congested and bumpy and the road to nowehre is smooth.....does that make sense to you....lol.

Scott-  I have met a few people that are traianing for tri's at the pool.  I have spoke to a guy and we agreed to ride a few times this spring.  The bad part is that he works for the railraod and does not have a set schedule.  So, I will probably be riding on my own most of the time.

I 'am going to try one of the area's tri clubs for one ride a week and go solo the other times.

thanx for the info everybody!
2010-03-22 7:56 PM
in reply to: #2741540

User image

Regular
Salem

Marcia,

I forgot to mention in my other post....I could do without the collapsed lung and other damaged body parts...lol.

2010-03-23 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Point
Shawn,
Right now I'm just riding on the local roads. they are in pretty good shape and we have the occasional bike lane/shoulder. Some of the more rural roads are pretty narrow and don't even have a shoulder to speak of. We also have a bike path / green way that starts about 1.25 miles from my house and runs 19 miles to the south uninterrupted to Ashland, OR. I've lived here 20 years and have never been on it, that will change this spring.

Marcia,
I had a similar crash as a kid got my front wheel stuck in a drain groove and took a tumble.
Fortunately the the derailleur hit me in the head (the hardest spot on my body) and nothing was broken just a little cut. No helmets back then. I'm very cautious now about grooves that run parallel
to me.
2010-03-23 4:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Point
Rode my bike into work this morning and 34*F on damp hair (what there is) is kind of a painful thing.
I need to wear a beanie and some full finger gloves too. Yesterday on the way home I discovered the importance of glasses and put the clear lenses in my glasses, bug in my eye.
2010-03-23 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2743731

User image

Regular
Salem
ckallpoints - 2010-03-23 4:52 PM Rode my bike into work this morning and 34*F on damp hair (what there is) is kind of a painful thing.
I need to wear a beanie and some full finger gloves too. Yesterday on the way home I discovered the importance of glasses and put the clear lenses in my glasses, bug in my eye.

That's what I call a dedicated bike rider...great job!
I hear ya on the glasses.  I usually where mine but I left them sitting on the kitchen island today.  I was half way through the ride and "WHAM"...bug to the eye....lol.  Bad mistake on my part.....i know better...oh well it was still a good ride.

Gloves and a hat would make for a more plesant ride in the morning.

How are you liking the new bike?  Im sure you will even enjoy it more when it warms up.

enjoy the riding!!
2010-03-23 8:34 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
I went to the LBS and learned how to change a flat on my bike today.  I did not know if he would be willing to help me since, I did not buy my bike through him.  I arrived and asked for help and he was more than willing to help me.  I do buy all my other gear there....helmet, computer, glasses and shorts.  It was much easier than I thought it would be.  We will see when I get a flat and I'm 30 miles from home.  I maybe wishing he was there to show me again...lol.

I do have to say that it is a GREAT LBS.  I did not buy my bike from him since he did not have the brand I wanted.  I didnt know if he would be upset....I know the guy from work.

I also forgot to mention that I put in for bike patrol last week.  That will be great if I get that position for the summer. It's on a  "as needed basis".  We wont be riding everyday but we will ride for special events and when man power allows us to ride.  Keeping fingers crossed.
2010-03-24 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Point
Shawn,
I really like the new bike. It seems very responsive if that makes since. Its kind of hard to ride easy, I find that I want to push it a little bit. The steering is pretty quick too not like I remember the bikes as a kid. I even like the stock saddle so far, its more comfortable then the spin bike seats.

Good luck on the bike patrol. That sounds like it would be a fun thing for the summer.

2010-03-24 7:42 PM
in reply to: #2745133

User image

Regular
Salem
ckallpoints - 2010-03-24 10:24 AM Shawn,
I really like the new bike. It seems very responsive if that makes since. Its kind of hard to ride easy, I find that I want to push it a little bit. The steering is pretty quick too not like I remember the bikes as a kid. I even like the stock saddle so far, its more comfortable then the spin bike seats.

Good luck on the bike patrol. That sounds like it would be a fun thing for the summer.

The bikes today are nothing like they were when I was young.  Everything on them is high tech....My first bike was in the 70"s and I had a long bannana seat...lol.  I forgot tyo mention that it had a flag off the back so I would not get hit...lol
2010-03-25 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2746540

User image

Veteran
Central Point
srichards428 - 2010-03-24 5:42 PM

The bikes today are nothing like they were when I was young.  Everything on them is high tech....My first bike was in the 70"s and I had a long bannana seat...lol.  I forgot tyo mention that it had a flag off the back so I would not get hit...lol

Yep I had one of those bikes with the banana seats too. I think I got my first bike when I was 5 or 6 for Christmas in like 1966 or 1967. Did you clothes pin playing cards so they would hit the spokes for that "motorcycle rumble" too? I remember later I took that seat off put on a 10 speed style seat changed the handle bars and it became a BMX style bike. I got my first 10 speed a Schwinn Varsity 42# if I remember right when I was in Jr. High. That was the last bike I owned until now.
2010-03-25 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2747562

User image

Master
TORONTO
ckallpoints - 2010-03-25 10:40 AM
srichards428 - 2010-03-24 5:42 PM

Yep I had one of those bikes with the banana seats too. I think I got my first bike when I was 5 or 6 for Christmas in like 1966 or 1967. Did you clothes pin playing cards so they would hit the spokes for that "motorcycle rumble" too? I remember later I took that seat off put on a 10 speed style seat changed the handle bars and it became a BMX style bike. I got my first 10 speed a Schwinn Varsity 42# if I remember right when I was in Jr. High. That was the last bike I owned until now.

ooooo I wanted a bike like that SO BAD!!  I had a stupid pink basket on mine.  My sister and I cut coloured straws in to 1 inch pieces and put them on our bike spokes so they moved while we road and made a neat sound.  Simple pleasures!
2010-03-25 6:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Point
Are we down to 5 or 6 here. I looked at logs and there are a number of nearly empty calendars.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scottt's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18