BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's 2010 Manatees--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2010-01-20 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2559122

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's 2010 Manatees--Closed
Lynne - good to hear from you!

Lynn - great questions about the swim! (i'll post a reply after this)  and sounds like you had a great swim today

Art - you crack me up - sorry no gold star for doing all of them

Marcea - glad the tips have been helpful - BT has some duathlon training plans but you have to have a silver or gold level membership - i did find one by searching, i've never done a duathlon so i can't attest to it completely - but i did review it and it seems like a reasonable approach and seems to be from a good resource  12 Week Duathlon Training Plan   if you scroll all the way down on the page you will see a 12 week plan laid out day by day - i would recommend entering it into your BT planned training log and then tracking your actual there as well, let us know if you have questions on how to use the training log

Rebecca - good to see you

Dineen - great job on the swim!  there's nothing better than a sincer compliment to help boost one's confidence - thanks for the good input on hydration!

Yanti - LOVE the new avatar MWAH!!!

Mia - sorry to hear you've been under the weather - the flu is no fun   glad you are starting to feel better!

2010-01-20 3:28 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Swim Tips

A while back I found these videos, i like the first one because it does a good job of explaining the different phases of the stroke.  i like the second one because it's fairly long - i find that a lot of the swim videos are only a few seconds, with this one you get to watch a really smooth stroke for almost 5 minutes

I looked and looked for a decent definition to post - and in the end, decided once again that a picture is worth a thousand words

hope you enjoy and find them helpful

Alexander Popov swimming technique  - this video includes some really nice commentary about the stroke and the technique.

Swim Smooth Visualization (Bill Kirby

Bill Kirby was an Australian freestyle and butterfly swimmer of the 1990s and 2000s, who won a gold medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney as part of the 4x200m freestyle relay team.

2010-01-20 9:15 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

I got in the pool today for the 1st time in 2 weeks.  It felt FANBLOODYTASTIC!

Plus mu husband has started running with me.  Aw yeah.  I am one happy camper.

2010-01-21 9:46 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Yaaaay Bethie Love! We take turns holding the Manatee fort down. Plus as you said all we Manatees help each other ... you are truly a lovely group. Thanks so much for letting us be a part of it!

Here is the BEST THREAD EVER on swimming. Phenomenal.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=117554&start=1

It's Bigfuzzydoug's 10 Points to Swimming.

Marcea, let us know if you can access the Duathlon plan calendar. Also, no particular vitamins--just a well-balanced diet is best. I do take a daily multivitamin because it can be hard to make sure I get everything I need and well, I'm just not perfect.

Yes, as for water--hydrate well throughout the day, every day, and take a small water bottle with you and sip, don't chug. Also--at this point, remember to do workouts at a moderate pace--shouldn't be breathing heavily! Endurance is all about going easier for longer, not hard for shorter.

Mia, I'm so sorry you have been sick! Ewww! I too have been struggling with illness and have lost quite a bit of weight.

Lynne, happy to hear about your swim! Very nice. I was finally able to get a short run in tonight.

Edited by TriAya 2010-01-21 9:47 AM
2010-01-21 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2626140

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Lyn, yay on a good swim!  That's awesome.  Today I did swim #2, and it really did feel great.  I am surprised at how much I am liking it, and how I feel stronger already.  

Art, I am starting to get your post about being dry, though -- my skin is ITCHY today, and I've only gone twice.  This is going to be interesting.

Thanks for the swim links, Beth and Yanti.  Looking forward to checking them out.
2010-01-21 10:56 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

GOOOOOOOOD MORNING, TINKY AND YANTI!!

2010-01-21 12:30 PM

User image

Hi,

Beth- Thanks so much for the dua training plan. Im looking over this one. Dua plans are harder to find than the tri plans and Im not sure which is the best one, you know what I mean? I need to sit down and learn how to use the training log.

Thanks for the tips on water... I will start just sipping rather than drinking...  It is pain in the butt to carry water while you try to run ha.

i just wish Spring would get here already! Im tired of being cold.
2010-01-21 3:07 PM

User image

Regular
New Zealand
starting to wonder if motherhood and tri training just not meant to be combined... couldn't do last tri group as baby had ear infection, now baby has gastro (poor little bubby) so unlikely to be able to go tomorrow either and that's the least of my worries as most likely the rest of the family including me will contract it shortly!  arrrgh
sorry to moan... only have just over 4 weeks till next tri, and last time we all got swine flu!

glad to hear about other people's progress, great work everyone

Melyssa
2010-01-21 5:17 PM

User image

New user
Hendersonville, NC
Melyssa, Oh, I'm sorry your kids are sick all the time. One thing and then the other follows.

Hope they will feel better soon, both for your sake and theirs.

/Mia
2010-01-21 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2627241

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
missyNZ - 2010-01-21 4:07 PM starting to wonder if motherhood and tri training just not meant to be combined... couldn't do last tri group as baby had ear infection, now baby has gastro (poor little bubby) so unlikely to be able to go tomorrow either and that's the least of my worries as most likely the rest of the family including me will contract it shortly!  arrrgh
sorry to moan... only have just over 4 weeks till next tri, and last time we all got swine flu!

glad to hear about other people's progress, great work everyone

Melyssa

No need to apologize, Melyssa... We're all doing what we can do.  
Don't worry, no one here's gonna tell you that your family's less important than triathlon!
2010-01-22 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2626205

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
dinabean - 2010-01-21 11:10 AM

Lyn, yay on a good swim!  That's awesome.  Today I did swim #2, and it really did feel great.  I am surprised at how much I am liking it, and how I feel stronger already.  

Art, I am starting to get your post about being dry, though -- my skin is ITCHY today, and I've only gone twice.  This is going to be interesting.

Thanks for the swim links, Beth and Yanti.  Looking forward to checking them out.

Dineen - FWIW, I'm doing pretty good using the aveeno soap and lotion.

Art

2010-01-22 10:22 PM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
I like Aveeno too.
2010-01-23 9:56 AM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap and Cetaphil lotion for me. 

Swimming is a ton to think about, and it's sorta mysterious because it's hard to tell exactly what you're doing and what you're supposed to be doing (without someone watching and telling you)... but the awesome thing about it is that when you "get" something, your swimming INSTANTLY becomes either easier or faster. 

Still not running's biggest fan, trying not to hate the bike, but I looooove swimming. Really wish I'd got on that sooner in life!
2010-01-23 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Invested in some leave-in conditioner for my hair and Aveeno for my skin -- hopefully it will help.  Thanks for the advice, all!

Had an AWESOME spin class today.  I am really starting to see/feel improvement in my cardio capacity.  Spin pushes me a lot harder than running, at this point, and I have never yet been able to follow all of the instructions in spin class (ie, they would be in the middle of a big climb, and I would have to sit down and take a recovery).  Today, I came *soo close* do doing everything.  I did take a short break during one climb, but got back up after a count of 20.  And more importantly, for the other ones (3 minutes, 4 minutes) I kept at it.  I was nearly crying, I was dripping, I had my eyes closed, I felt like I couldn't do it, but I did.  I am so happy to see this progress!  I really need to get out on my real bike again soon.  I haven't in a while, and my only bike has been spinning 1x a week.  I know it's not the same as a real ride, but I just really wanted to work on my power a bit (and let it warm up a bit) before getting out there.  I am awaiting new clipless pedals and bike shoes I just ordered, and I am hoping to try the shoes in spin class, first, and then move on to getting them on my bike and doing a long Sunday ride.    Sorry to go on and on, I guess I am still a bit high from the class!

Hope everyone has a great, great weekend!

Edited by dinabean 2010-01-23 10:23 AM
2010-01-23 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hi everybody!

Dineen - Glad you had a good spin class. It's great to hear you see the progress you're making.

Marcea - As far as I'm concerned, Spring can't get here fast enough! It hasn't been so windy here in the last week so it hasn't been quite as bad.

Lisa - I've gotten a couple good tips from my swimming lessons so far. Unlike the person who gave me my first set of lessons, the current teacher wants to spend a little too much time on breast stroke and butterfly though. I'm not great at either but keep trying. It can't hurt right?

Rebecca - You're right about swimming. I catch myself focusing on one thing (pick any of Beth's list of things not to do) and suddenly realize I'm not kicking very much or rolling enough, or breathing correctly....

Beth and Yanti - Thanks so much for the swimming tips. I'm spending more time in the pool and they are good reminders. I have the swim smooth video and have to watch it again.

I broke down and hired a coach. My goal this year is to finish an ironman and after spending a lot of time taking in as much info as possible, I realized I was stressing myself out and wasn't going to be able to do it without some help. It's only been a couple of days but I feel a lot better now that I just have to do the workouts.

Have a great weekend!

Art
2010-01-23 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2630422

User image

Master
Vista, CA

reid15 - 2010-01-23 9:32 AM Hi everybody! Dineen - Glad you had a good spin class. It's great to hear you see the progress you're making. Marcea - As far as I'm concerned, Spring can't get here fast enough! It hasn't been so windy here in the last week so it hasn't been quite as bad. Lisa - I've gotten a couple good tips from my swimming lessons so far. Unlike the person who gave me my first set of lessons, the current teacher wants to spend a little too much time on breast stroke and butterfly though. I'm not great at either but keep trying. It can't hurt right? Rebecca - You're right about swimming. I catch myself focusing on one thing (pick any of Beth's list of things not to do) and suddenly realize I'm not kicking very much or rolling enough, or breathing correctly.... Beth and Yanti - Thanks so much for the swimming tips. I'm spending more time in the pool and they are good reminders. I have the swim smooth video and have to watch it again. I broke down and hired a coach. My goal this year is to finish an ironman and after spending a lot of time taking in as much info as possible, I realized I was stressing myself out and wasn't going to be able to do it without some help. It's only been a couple of days but I feel a lot better now that I just have to do the workouts. Have a great weekend! Art

I broke down and hired a coach. My goal this year is to finish an ironman and after spending a lot of time taking in as much info as possible, I realized I was stressing myself out and wasn't going to be able to do it without some help. It's only been a couple of days but I feel a lot better now that I just have to do the workouts.

Art!!! You go with your bad self! An Ironman, woo-hoo. I think that's great move to hire a coach. I have a coach/friend who's certified who puts together my workouts for me and holds my hand when I need it (metaphorically speaking). It's a great investment. She's done 2 IM and is training for her 3rd so she can walk the walk and talk the talk. I think that's important in a coach.

I hope you all get your spring soon. It rained and was windy here for 5 days straight and we southern California people have almost gone mad because of it. Today's our first blue sky sunny day and a run is on tap for me, then tomorrow a long ride with hopefully no more wind.

Have a great weekend Manatees.

And, I'm still waiting to "get it" with regard to swimming. :0)

2010-01-23 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Art -- a coach sounds awesome.  Can't wait to hear what wisdom the coach has to impart. 
2010-01-24 2:26 AM

User image

Regular
New Zealand

Hi everyone

Art: I hope you find the coach helpful, my tri training group has a coach and he's awesome, I've learned so much already (and he lends me his wetsuit, which is nice!)

Rebecca: glad swimming is going well, I'm also finding I'm starting to enjoy the swimming, although I'm still slow

Dineen: I do at least one spin class a week too, I love them, the only reason I still have my gym membership.  I find it so much easier to get motivated to go hard! (our instructor said we were riding ugly last week, which was better than riding pretty!)

I got myself to my tri group on saturday morning, had to talk myself into it as I was feeling a bit offcolour but then once we got in the cold cold water again it wasn't so bad this time and then we went for a nice bike ride along the harbour edge, and it was a lovely way to start the weekend.  Unfortunately that afternoon, myself and my older two children all came down with the baby's gastro bug so feeling pretty dehydrated and tired at the moment.  Such are the joys of parenting I guess.

Here's a photo of where I went open water swimming, I think you get an impression of the chilliness!
I reiterate... it's supposed to be middle of summmer here!!!

Melyssa

2010-01-24 3:21 PM

User image

Regular
New Zealand
ooh I just had to add something cool...
When my tri group and I were all standing on the shore in our wetsuits, an elderly couple went walking past with their dog, and asked 'are you guys triathletes?'... hehe that goes down in the record for something I've NEVER been asked before!!!

Small MOG (moment of glory)

Melyssa
2010-01-24 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2631893

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
missyNZ - 2010-01-24 4:21 PM

ooh I just had to add something cool...
When my tri group and I were all standing on the shore in our wetsuits, an elderly couple went walking past with their dog, and asked 'are you guys triathletes?'... hehe that goes down in the record for something I've NEVER been asked before!!!

Melyssa

That's awesome! The answer of couse should have been....YES WE ARE!
2010-01-24 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2630422

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
reid15 - 2010-01-23 12:32 PM Hi everybody! Dineen - Glad you had a good spin class. It's great to hear you see the progress you're making. Marcea - As far as I'm concerned, Spring can't get here fast enough! It hasn't been so windy here in the last week so it hasn't been quite as bad. Lisa - I've gotten a couple good tips from my swimming lessons so far. Unlike the person who gave me my first set of lessons, the current teacher wants to spend a little too much time on breast stroke and butterfly though. I'm not great at either but keep trying. It can't hurt right? Rebecca - You're right about swimming. I catch myself focusing on one thing (pick any of Beth's list of things not to do) and suddenly realize I'm not kicking very much or rolling enough, or breathing correctly.... Beth and Yanti - Thanks so much for the swimming tips. I'm spending more time in the pool and they are good reminders. I have the swim smooth video and have to watch it again. I broke down and hired a coach. My goal this year is to finish an ironman and after spending a lot of time taking in as much info as possible, I realized I was stressing myself out and wasn't going to be able to do it without some help. It's only been a couple of days but I feel a lot better now that I just have to do the workouts. Have a great weekend! Art

Art -

I wouldn't say you 'broke down' and hired a coach - I think it's fabulous!  having watched several friends train for an IM distance, i think they might say a coach is a necessity - not only to help with the training, but also with the mental aspect of the training and the event

I can't wait to follow your progress!

2010-01-24 6:17 PM
in reply to: #2630350

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
dinabean - 2010-01-23 11:22 AM Invested in some leave-in conditioner for my hair and Aveeno for my skin -- hopefully it will help.  Thanks for the advice, all!

Had an AWESOME spin class today.  I am really starting to see/feel improvement in my cardio capacity.  Spin pushes me a lot harder than running, at this point, and I have never yet been able to follow all of the instructions in spin class (ie, they would be in the middle of a big climb, and I would have to sit down and take a recovery).  Today, I came *soo close* do doing everything.  I did take a short break during one climb, but got back up after a count of 20.  And more importantly, for the other ones (3 minutes, 4 minutes) I kept at it.  I was nearly crying, I was dripping, I had my eyes closed, I felt like I couldn't do it, but I did.  I am so happy to see this progress!  I really need to get out on my real bike again soon.  I haven't in a while, and my only bike has been spinning 1x a week.  I know it's not the same as a real ride, but I just really wanted to work on my power a bit (and let it warm up a bit) before getting out there.  I am awaiting new clipless pedals and bike shoes I just ordered, and I am hoping to try the shoes in spin class, first, and then move on to getting them on my bike and doing a long Sunday ride.    Sorry to go on and on, I guess I am still a bit high from the class!

Hope everyone has a great, great weekend!

Awesome!  So terrific you had a great spin class   and by all means stop by and share with us, the manatess are each others biggest fans and supporters!

Great job!

2010-01-24 6:19 PM
in reply to: #2631893

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
missyNZ - 2010-01-24 4:21 PM ooh I just had to add something cool...

Melyssa

Melyssa - great photo and - brrrr!

how cool to be asked if you are a triathlete, it is a fun MOG!!!  relish the moment and as Art said, I hope you all shouted out yes!

2010-01-24 6:54 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia

ooh, more pretty photos

Is that a ship with a pirate flag?! 

2010-01-24 7:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
How did I miss the pirate ship!  Looks awesome. So how cold is cold in the middle of the summer down there?  Hope your flirt with the gastro bug was momentary, and HOORAY on being called a triathlete.

So there is a new Ironman store here in town, very close to where I live.  Went there today and bought tri cycling shoes and then defiled them with SPD-compatible cleats.  The manager was very very nice (even took me next door to the health club to test the positioning of the cleats on the spin bike), didn't make fun of me or look down at me for having SPD compatible pedals, as many roadies would have, and was very encouraging of my measly sprint efforts.  Anyone visiting in the Tampa area, I would recommend a stop in.

Is there a way to read the last few posts while replying?  I always get the first intro post, and while Yanti is very, very pretty (((melon press))) I can't remember the prior posts by the time I get to this screen and end up missing stuff.  Am I missing something easy?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's 2010 Manatees--Closed Rss Feed  

of 31