BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-03-02 6:10 PM
in reply to: #2703077

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL!

Yeah for longer dry days!!!  I went running outside because it was still light out at 6pm and I got out of work a little earlier than I've been averaging.  Its amazing how the energy is there to run outside but it goes away at the thought of the treadmill. 

I am in for the push up challenge.  I am in for a minimum of 30 miles running.  I might actually get in the pool tonight for the 1st time this decade.  Stay tuned....

2010-03-03 4:20 AM
in reply to: #2600896

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Group run on tuesday night. This was a very slow run in the dark (wore headlamps and VERY bright gear). We were running the paved trails with some short steep hills, through puddles all the while as it poured slushy snowy rain. It felt great and we all had a blast. Did 5 miles.
2010-03-03 5:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Jo- saw your training log last night, we were running at almost the same time. SO NICE that it is lighter longer.

Run2Pray- Run/walk counts. That is how most of us got into running- doing some kind of run/walk combo for those first few miles/months.

I've got an angry left knee, so lots of Ice and Ibuprofen here, and no running for a few days. Like most endurance ahtletes I just push through it, but I know that isn't good. One of my best friends is a sports med knee doc so if I get desperate I'll go see him.

I have yet to check out the push up challenge- so I can not say if I am doing it for sure or if I will just be following you all. I have a hard time fitting in my core work just once a week right now, so I do not want to add to much to my plate.

Everyone have a good Wednesday-
Anne
2010-03-03 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
I just ordered some homeopathic remedies for the knee--supposed to be for strains/sprains and inflammation and I orderded them, not so much because of any bad knee problem currently, but because I know I'm gonna be working the heck out of them this month. They are cell salts and something called bioplasma which is good for regenerating after runs. Figure it can't hurt! Not everyone is into homeopathy, but if you want the names of the remedies, just let me know and I'll post them. Of course, you probably already know about glucosamine sulfate for the cartilage and MSM as a natutral anti-inflammatory (6000 mg/day therapeutic dose).

I managed a run on treadmill last night, but had to literally scream and threaten my family to leave me alone, as they didn't seem to want to watch the baby so she doesn't fall on her face near the treadmill. Husband actually watched her--hadn't done that in a few weeks (studying constantly for college). I'm also logging food (takes forever to find the foods or approximate foods) and I'm even doing the pushups, but boy, does that make the upper body burn! I get a massage today! Yeah! And I"m logging that, as I think it's important to take time for therapy.

Can't wait to get outside. Will have to bribe and threaten to get the space to do so, I'm afraid.

Live long and prosper ladies

P.S. My 6th grader is not doing so well in a class or two and I am soooo tired of that drama, as he's really smart, but doesn't seem to think it's important to hand in his assignments or something--so I used the run to release some adrenaline. However, my asthma was pretty kicked up and my heart rate was through the roof, so I ended up having to slow down a lot. Felt a whole lot better afterwards and that's the benefit I was looking for! Maybe I'll write a book on tri therapy for mom's....
2010-03-03 12:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
phoenix-

depends on what the homeopathic remedy has in it. if it's in sucrose or anything sugar based, it's a no. let me know how it works, though.

Also have to keep in mind I'm nursing, so whatever i take in goes to Jo, too. I'm not doing my normal supplements because of her, instead just prenatals and a DHL supplement for nursing moms.

Proud of those of you that are able to log foods. I have to be VERY CAREFUL about that as I can get overfocused and obsessed. I'm just trying to make good choices for me and Jo and I will do food logging and focus on weight loss in December when she's done nursing (oh yes, I breastfeed for that long).

Enjoy that massage!

JO my hamstrings are tight, so I am sure that is adding to the issue. Planning on stretching once everyone is napping and before I shower. TOnight is crazy running kids around night...brownies, soccer....fun times.

Update on Mike- the husband with back issues. The back seems fine but he still has tingling and sciatica down both legs- after 2 rounds of shots...had a consult with the pain clinic doc yesterday, so he heads back to his Ortho Surgeon soon and the news is that they think something must have broken off (bone fragment) and that is causing the sciatica. I just want him fixed.

Phoenix- my swim today was therapy. It was the only half hour of quiet I get. Yesterday's run wasn't even that quiet- a neighbor pulled over on her way out to chat with me and I was so not in the mood. You should write a tri therapy book for moms. I think more women would workout if they realized it could be ME Time.
2010-03-06 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I'll check in on logs later- wanted to write a quick note to say I hope all of you have warmish weather this weekend and are able to enjoy it!

Jo- the 3 month old- has bronchiolitis from RSV. She is doing breathing treatments on a nebulizer every 4 hours and my hands are full keeping her upright and watching her and calling the doctor when she turns bluish....

I'm hoping this is under control by tomorrow and I will do a long run then. Kids trump workouts and training.

2010-03-06 6:10 PM

User image

Expert
Anne, RSV is a really awful thing! Yes, concentrate 100% on baby--you are lucky they are letting you keep her at home instead of in the hospital. It takes a long time before the child will be healthy after RSV--she'll likely catch small colds for several months after. One day at a time. I am thankful my baby is old enough that she can cough effectively. All that junk needs to come up.

Not sure what the base of the homeopathic knee remedies is--haven't gotten them yet. At least you can rest your knee for a bit!

Hope your husband starts to feel better soon. Sometimes a broken piece needs surgery, but it sounds like he is in good hands. He will get through this and then will really appreciate it when he can get back to training. I know I appreciate it after my time off with baby.

A bit of good news! I have been running at the indoor track at the Y and that is going soooo much better than the Dreadmill. I find I can run 5 miles at my old best pace of about 12 minute miles. Which means I'm actually running 98% of the time! The bad news is that after 5 miles I am pooped and then my time goes down. Can't wait to get outside. It's 40's here and very muddy so I'll wait.

Week One Run totals: 17 miles No injuries yet, I'm just sore all over
2010-03-06 10:57 PM
in reply to: #2712003

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Week One Run totals: 18 miles so far. I may do a 2 miler tomorrow.

It was in the 50's here and felt great. We ran at 7am so it was in the 30s then. We did our long slow run of 8 miles and I didn't take a walk break. I pushed thru the first 4 miles but after that I felt fine. I settled in and no longer felt like I was pushing thru it. My old running partner came to run with me and she and another runner kept saying how much faster I had gotten. They even commented that I looked stronger, fitter and more confident in my run. I guess I am doing something right.

With the great temp today ad 60s tomorrow, everybody and anybody are coming outside. The streets are getting crowded.

Lovey
2010-03-08 5:59 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Are we posting totals by week for running?  If so, I was at 16.1 miles this week.  It felt so good to get outdoors.  I promise I will catch up on everyone's logs today.  I've just been having too much fun outside and I don't want to go sit in my dark, dreary office today.  Oh well, guess I have to bills to pay so time to go act like a grown up.

2010-03-08 6:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Sure- post your miles! I'll still go through later today and find out from the logs what everyone's totals are towards our goal and then post here what our first week's total was.

I got 6.5. I missed one run.

Baby update- we are doing better, she is not turning blue anymore, which is nice.

Off to get the day started....

Glad everyone has been able to enjoy the warm weather. LOVEY- great long run, and congrats on your friends noticing you are getting faster!!!
2010-03-08 8:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
RUN CHALLENGE - I did 18 miles this week ending 3/7/10.

PUSH UP CHALLENGE – I didn’t do all three days. I got thru 2 days. The first one I was only able to do one set of full pushups but I don’t think my muscles were sufficiently warmed up. The second day I got thru 3 sets (1x15 & 2x10) of modified pushups.

The modified pushups (“girl pushups”) are less stress on my wrists than the full body one. I am going to do the challenge using the modified pushups and alternate each set with full pushups. I am easing my body into it so each time I will increase full sets and decrease modified sets until all my pushups are full pushups. My arms seem so weak and the next day really sore making swimming a little harder to push thru my swimming strokes.

Does that make sense?

Lovey

2010-03-08 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
13.39 miles here!  It feels like I'm doing a lot less, so it's nice to see it add up at the end of the week.  It was also really nice to get out of the house and run on a trail and around a park this weekend without wearing 10 layers  

This is a bike focused week for me on my plan.  Here goes nothing.  And I have a bike fit on Mach 23 which I am really excited about. Anyone else done one before?  If so, did having it done professionally really improve your fit?

Thanks and keep up the good work ladies!
2010-03-08 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
kziemer-

My husband has had bike fitting done (twice). I highly recommend it!!!! I have one on my to-do list later this spring.

Great job this week, everyone!

No swim for me this week, I am homebound with the baby, so lots of biking and running when the husband is home and can hold the baby. I can not risk leaving her upstairs napping and going to ride for forty minutes. SIGH this is all so scary.

I'll get a total up for us later- promise!
2010-03-08 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
111.85 miles so far for our group, including everyone.

looks like we will blow past 200 next week if we keep this up...
2010-03-08 8:04 PM

User image

Regular
Fair Hill, MD
QUESTION: 

I am trying to decide if I will need a wetsuit for the Sprint Tri coming up in June (Baltimore, MD)...Since I don't have experience, I don't know what to expect the water temp to be, whether it will be ws legal, and if it IS, what type of suit to get.

Any recommendations for a newbie?
2010-03-08 9:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
From the website:
THE RACE DATE/TIME/FIELD: June 27, 2010 at 06:50 am, Centennial Lake, Ellicott City, MD. USAT wetsuit rules will be in effect (no wetsuits allowed if water temps exceed 78' F) The typical water temperature is 75 to 80' F, air temperatures average 75' to 90' F. Race management reserves the right to accept or reject any entry.

They will test the water that morning usually I believe or the day before.

As for wetsuits, I don't know. My race is a week before yours and the temp are usually about 70 degrees in the Potomac River.

I guess the lake is a little warmer.

Lovey

2010-03-09 8:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Joyce- first I would call the race director and ask if wetsuits are legal for the race.  Most people use it to brace against the cold, but 70-80 degrees doesn't sound bad for a sprint.  Others use it for buoyancy.  If you have the money and can make the purchase, I might recommend a sleeveless wetsuit as the mid-atlantic will likely have consistently warmer swims that NH. I have a full sleeve and like it because the lakes here are cold.  Full sleeves have shoulder resistance, so you will need to get used to that if you get a full sleeve.

If you do not have the money or are not ready to buy, then find a local tri shop and see if you can rent.  This way, you can try out different styles and see what you like.  A shop here would let you put the money accrued in your rental towards the price of a suit if you bought it from them.  Not sure if your local shop would let you do it, but it's worth the ask.  Also, if you plan to rent, rent a tri suit and not a surfing wetsuit.  They are completely different fits.  Good luck!
2010-03-09 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
A great place to rent, too, is Wetsuitrental.com. We have rented from them before, you put in all your info and they send a wetsuit that matches you pretty well.

Baby has had some setbacks; focusing on trying to get her better.
2010-03-09 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I just wanted to know if after swimming, does anyone coanstantly need to pee. I went 6 times in the hour after gettin out of the pool and it continues for a few hours and starts to slow down to normal around lunch.

Lovey
2010-03-10 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Lovey, I'm about to totally gross you out, but here goes....

You are swallowing water when you swim.

It's no biggie, everyone does it to a certain degree. Watch your breathing pattern in the water. And during warm-ups, when you can swim slow, identify in your stroke when you swallow the water instead of spitting it out.

If it doesn't bother you, and you like how you are swimming, just be ready to pee a lot. Or, you can do some slow drills to fix your breathing.
2010-03-10 6:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
OKAY- Sensitive Subject Alert-

I'm a little freaked out. I have been trying really hard to make sure my nutrition is spot on with the demands of endurance training and nursing a baby. This is the first time I have truly exercised while nursing this early; with my second child I started exercising when she was 7 months old and could barely run a mile.

So- here is the deal. The baby is 3 months old and my period started today.

I guess, technically it's no big deal. But with my other two babies, I nursed until they were 13 months old, and then my period did not come back until they were about 15 or 16 months old. I'm wondering if hormone levels are off? I know it can not be a fat level thing, because you have to have a certain fat level to ovulate and have a period....

Phoenix, do you have any input??? I know you excerised when your baby was little. I swear my nutrition has been excellent, I'm maintaining a weight right now of 185 at 6 feet tall (I was 165 prior to getting pregnant last March). I guess I am just worried and want to make sure this is not something I'm doing wrong???

ON A MUCH HAPPIER NOTE I hope you all are enjoying this fantastic weather. The baby is 100% bettter today, and I got outside this evening to do my first interval workout on this training plan. SO NICE! But had to wear shorts and forgot how they ride up (ewww) and show the neighborhood just about everything (ewwwwwwww)!

2010-03-10 7:17 PM

User image

Expert
Anne--Unfortunately, I was never able to delay periods when nursing. I nursed exclusively too--no pacifiers or bottles or anything-and I got my cycles right away all 4 times. I also nursed my babies a long time--over a year for every one of them. I didn't exercise at all for the first 3 so I can't say that had a role. Didn't really exercise much with Phoebe until she was pretty old. The Amish women I treat often don't have their periods while nursing, but it varies for women greatly. Oh well. At least you will spill those pesky eggs a little faster this way and menopause will be a few months earlier (in theory). Personally, at 43 I wouldn't cry if I stopped having them one of these days. I have my cycle currently and it sapped all my energy. Should be able to push through a few cramps. but all my gumption just goes out the window during those days.

I'm finally sick. My family all had colds and I resisted.....until now. Boo hoo. I hate being sick. Spose it was the stress of tax season. Did I tell you all that I lost all my data the other day? That gave me a major headache, and I don't get those very often, but when I do...they are bad ones!

I get an adjustment tomorrow so that might help my poor stressed period ridden sick old body. I should run a 10 miler this week....hmm....will the old bird pull it off? Stay tuned.....
2010-03-10 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Anne, I nursed all 3 of my children.  With my son, I stopped nursing at 8 weeks but never got my period back and then got pregnant with my daughter when he was 8 months old.  With daughter #2, my period came back at 6 months and I stopped nursing when she was 4 months.  With Daughter #3, I nursed for a year and got my period back at 3 months.   I don't know what any of it means but I do know its a myth that you can't get pregnant while you are nursing (saw a lot of those babies when I worked L&D).  If you can get pregnant while nursing then you ovulate during nursing and build up a lining, so why not be able to have a period too.  Talk to your doctor but from experience, it varied from child to child with me. 

2010-03-12 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2715841

User image

Regular
Fair Hill, MD
Lovey -  I read that info too... it just sounds SO borderline, it's hard to decide whether to plunk down the money on a suit I may not even get to wear.  

Kzeimer - I went to the local bike shop and lo and behold, they carry tri suits AND they are having Reps from a number of wet suit companies come in next Tuesday night to give a demonstration of their different lines!  It's a closed, private event for a local Triathlon club but the bike shop manager said I could crash the party!  So, I'll get to try on a bunch of suits to see what works.  Is that cool or what?! I'm psyched.   I heard that the full suits feel restrictive - can't wait to feel it for myself. 

Another question about suits:  Do they retain their value?  Like, if I take the plunge and buy a suit, then find out I don't want it, does the resale value hold up?  Do people even buy used wetsuits?

Anne - I really like wetsuitrental.com too.  If the suits I like on Tuesday night are just out of my price range, then I'll go with them.  And, on that 'other' topic, as long as your watching your nutrition I wouldn't worry about mentrating while your still nursing.  As you age (sorry to say) your body changes and it doesn't mean anything is wrong.  You might want to definately take your vitamins now though, since you'll be losing iron.

I'm on week two of the Push up challenge - looking forward to reaching the goal and showing my husband what I can do!  He's into martial arts and is always telling me all the tough stuff his instructor makes them do (like a squat stance for 10 minutes!). 

Have a blessed week, ladies!
2010-03-13 6:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
PHOENIX- are you feeling better???? I just realized when I checked this today that I forgot you were sick when I checked your training logs- so sorry!

Rainy day here- I am doing a long bike ride once the baby is done nursing this morning, then we have a baby shower to attend, and tonight a fundraiser for our soccer club. Busy day.

Long run tomorrow- mentally I am just done and so upset about yesterday's run. I know I bonked and it was a mental issue I have got to work through. Guess I should be happy it happened on a practice run, and not in a race!!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  

of 29